PDA

View Full Version : One and done for them horrible heritage kits

greatwhitenorf
05-15-2016, 02:00 AM
Four goals surrendered, three points dropped, two good men down, one eyesore kit to blame.

Alex Ferguson knew when he had a shit kit and banished it instantly when it didn't work. This one clearly doesn't work.

Time get red and get right.

GBV
05-15-2016, 07:37 AM
Ah jeez.
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

reggie
05-15-2016, 09:10 AM
you can blame me for the loss last night,i didnt wear the same socks has i did last week.saying that jus wear the red at home.

Cuppy
05-15-2016, 09:24 AM
FFS.

FluSH
05-15-2016, 09:31 AM
Three points dropped, two good men down, one eyesore kit to blame.

Alex Ferguson knew when he had a shit kit and banned it when it didn't work. This one clearly doesn't work.

Time get red and get right.

+1 Get rid of those kits!! Get it red get it right! g:D

ExiledRed
05-15-2016, 09:56 AM
It was definitely the kits.

The fans were a sea of expensive adidas red, singing about being the reds, in our red stadium.

The home team looked like visitors, in lame white with blue shorts.

Why does marketing PERSISTENTLY stick their middle finger right up at the fans and say "FUCK YOU TORONTO SUPPORTERS. WE DO WHAT WE LIKE!"

I am personally insulted by these out of touch, money grubbing, asshats in FO and marketing. fuck OFF!

CBTFC
05-15-2016, 09:56 AM
Close this thread. What a stupid reason to blame for our loss.

ExiledRed
05-15-2016, 10:02 AM
Of course, we are convinced that is the reason.

Dude, the loss is irrelevant. This fucking kit would be a slap in the face to the fans even if we won.

bigredone
05-15-2016, 10:02 AM
In this case, the end justifies the means. The kits are a curse:( and we should get rid of them:).

Still Kicking
05-15-2016, 10:21 AM
I want to agree that the blue shorts are the root of all evil, but! damn it, I think we drew in New England wearing the awful things.

Fort York Redcoat
05-15-2016, 10:40 AM

I'd rather have all this in here than it bleed elsewhere.

I didn't like seeing the blue at home either but I'll leave jinxes and curses up to whoever heeds them.

OgtheDim
05-15-2016, 11:59 AM
I think its not a good uniform look - I prefer the red shorts with it.

Curse? Nah....

ryan
05-15-2016, 12:02 PM
It's a nice shirt. Fuck blue shorts, don't know why they wouldn't wear red shorts at home at least. They did show it with red shorts during the reveal, so wtf.

Regardless, we lost cause we played wretched D and they capitalized on just about every chance we gave up. Not cause of our shirt color lolol.

greatwhitenorf
05-15-2016, 12:08 PM
While all the time you dance around
And things get stuck and we're to blame
And I couldn't think political blue
When all is said and all is done
My hands that work with a fire and steel

Fashion play your part
To be workers of red, red
Fashion play your part
To be workers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ7vX7xX0G8

ExiledRed
05-15-2016, 12:19 PM
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/05/0518_050518_redsports.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/6097954/Why-teams-in-red-win-more.html

http://www.ctvnews.ca/lifestyle/seeing-red-study-suggests-colour-makes-men-appear-angry-aggressive-1.2371110

Red kit and jozy does not miss that penalty.

Richard
05-15-2016, 12:20 PM
Wow you guys are so serious.

But yes lets sack that shitty shirt too. We are the reds!

ExiledRed
05-15-2016, 12:26 PM
This is another marketing test with the fans as reactionary guinea pigs. If there is no serious objection, they will eventually change our colours either to make us sync with the Argos or to more clearly reflect the BMO brand. (probably both)

Every thing they do to denigrate the established brand is such a test.

Ajax TFC
05-15-2016, 12:35 PM
I don't mind having blue in the alternative kits. Blue is the traditional colour of Toronto sports teams. That said, I agree that home kits should be worn at home. Alternative kits can be used away when the main away kit conflicts with the other team's colours.

greatwhitenorf
05-15-2016, 12:41 PM
Looking at the two kits on the pitch last night, one club exhibited culture, the one that took the points.

Look at how well the Whitecaps image is crafted. That club crest is one of the best in sports - clean, simple, meaningful. The playing kit shows great creativity in creating a garment symbolic of Vancouver and its environment.

Look at TFC's crest and ask yourself: What the fuck does that represent? A crude red shield and banner with grey T. Yeah, Toronto the Grey, city of bankers. Honestly, it's an absolutely meaningless crest when it comes to telling us something about Toronto. Or maybe that's what the message was meant to be.

The playing kit last night looked like a bad grade 2 art project, someone cutting and pasting pieces of coloured construction paper.

And heritage? Here's how much care and concern the club had for heritage. Just before the game, Danny Dichio is standing amidst the sideline flea circus waiting to be presented with some sort of meaningful bauble. The grounds crewman turns on a midfield water sprinkler and the spray douses Danny and his family. Said a lot about attention to detail right there.

greatwhitenorf
05-15-2016, 12:50 PM
Manchester United have a blue away kit. Arsenal have blue in their away kit. Liverpool had purple in their's not long ago.

Don't see those colours influencing their stadium environments. It shouldn't be a divisive issue within ours either. Home field should be a proper statement about a club and its culture. Ours, apparently, is a place where marketing experiments take priority over culture.

Red4ever
05-15-2016, 12:52 PM
I love this thread. It's just perfect.

noimpactinmtl
05-15-2016, 12:57 PM
I don't mind having blue in the alternative kits. Blue is the traditional colour of Toronto sports teams. That said, I agree that home kits should be worn at home. Alternative kits can be used away when the main away kit conflicts with the other team's colours.

The problem is blue is worn by our most hated rivals. A line of blue, fine. Blue shorts? We'll be hearing it from Impact fans for years to come.

TFC07
05-15-2016, 12:59 PM
White shirt with white shorts would be ideal not blue or red shorts, but yes I agree all home games TFC should be wearing their home kit (red shirt/red shorts).

Fort York Redcoat
05-15-2016, 01:08 PM
The problem is blue is worn by our most hated rivals. A line of blue, fine. Blue shorts? We'll be hearing it from Impact fans for years to come.

Wait didn't our opposition last night wear blue? Isn't that the first problem? And I doubt many Montreal fans will pick the shorts as a main focus of derision.

Fort York Redcoat
05-15-2016, 01:08 PM
I love this thread. It's just perfect.

The best.

ensco
05-15-2016, 01:27 PM
OK this is actually interesting.

ER is of course right about the triumph of the almighty buck over tradition. That's always what stuff like this is about. I personally, kind of like the Blizzard homage. Plus, I can find examples of seriously crazy shirts worn by bigger teams named for colours
http://www.chelseamegastore.com/stores/chelsea/en/product/chelsea-1974-away-shirt/168891

Question is, does it affect the players themselves? I don't know, but there may be something to that. The science around the subliminal impact of uniforms is mostly focused on school uniforms, and is inconclusive, but we all know that armies don't have alternate kits, that is for sure.

Fort York Redcoat
05-15-2016, 01:28 PM
I personally, kind of like the Blizzard homage.

Blizzard and Metros-Crotia.

ensco
05-15-2016, 01:30 PM

Didn't know that. Makes sense.

AirmanTFC
05-15-2016, 01:45 PM
While all the time you dance around
And things get stuck and we're to blame
And I couldn't think political blue
When all is said and all is done
My hands that work with a fire and steel

Fashion play your part
To be workers of red, red
Fashion play your part
To be workers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ7vX7xX0G8

Such a good band!

Like the new kit but like to see red a t home.

greatwhitenorf
05-15-2016, 02:08 PM
Such a good band!

Like the new kit but like to see red a t home.

Indeed. But around the MLSE offices, the lyrics may well be changed to 'my hands that work with a fire and steal.'

Here's a link to an article about the Man U kit - voted their worst of all time - that Ferguson banished. If only Vanney had such clout:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2358826/Seeing-grey-Uniteds-infamous-invisible-kit-voted-worst-time-.html

A shade of Grise Gauche with commercial chest band. We're showing the potential to have these sort of fashion nightmares.

http://www.dreamteamfc.com/c/s3/dreamteamfc-prod/uploads/2015/08/MUFC-KIT.jpg

greatwhitenorf
05-15-2016, 02:31 PM
I thought the original proposal was for red shorts:

http://storage.torontosun.com/v1/dynamic_resize/sws_path/suns-prod-images/1297810086183_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&size=650x

And if they were honouring the Blizzard, they might have not only got the shorts colour correct, but the length as well:

http://www.nasljerseys.com/images/Blizzard/Blizzard%2082%20Home%20Jomo%20Sono%20Ace%20Ntsoele ngoe.jpg

ExiledRed
05-15-2016, 03:00 PM
Marketers are not interested in the culture and history that this team (and more importantly, its fans) has grown over the last ten years. If we do not express our distaste, we will be at the mercy of advertisers that want to absorb our team into their corporate identity and use TFC fans to endorse their products.

Don't be turned into whores, next year we could get an Argos/TFC scarf in the season seats box or find that half the stadium has blue seats. Fight dammit.

MartinUtd
05-15-2016, 04:30 PM
I could have sworn one of our misplaced passes out the back in the first half was due to the fact that we were wearing white while Vancouver was wearing what looked like a blue to white gradient.

Beach_Red
05-15-2016, 04:48 PM
This is another marketing test with the fans as reactionary guinea pigs. If there is no serious objection, they will eventually change our colours either to make us sync with the Argos or to more clearly reflect the BMO brand. (probably both)

Every thing they do to denigrate the established brand is such a test.

Sometimes I think this team's entire existence is a social experiment - and I don't like the results so far.

MightyDM
05-15-2016, 04:57 PM
Marketers are not interested in the culture and history that this team (and more importantly, its fans) has grown over the last ten years. If we do not express our distaste, we will be at the mercy of advertisers that want to absorb our team into their corporate identity and use TFC fans to endorse their products.

Don't be turned into whores, next year we could get an Argos/TFC scarf in the season seats box or find that half the stadium has blue seats. Fight dammit.

Blue isn't our colour and supporters should speak up. With you on this one.

Redcoe15
05-15-2016, 05:36 PM
Just have them switch from the blue shorts to their red ones and they'll be fine. That's what the Blizzard wore during their NASL days, which is whom TFC is honoring.

GBV
05-15-2016, 05:36 PM
I like the kits.

AirmanTFC
05-15-2016, 05:52 PM
I don't have an issue with blue or any other colour as an away kit I'd just like to see our red kit at home. My $0.02

StokeciTFC
05-15-2016, 06:11 PM
Neither do j have an issue with the blue and am not superstitious or paranoid enough to believe that is the cause of our ills yesterday.

I do believe though that it as there most probably at the insistence of BMO itself, in order to reflect their colours. That will not be an issue next year ( I think it's next year isn't it?) when their shirt sponsorship expires.

With a bit of luck, the next sponsor will have colours that correspond with ours and all or at least some of the conspiracy theories will subside. Although the colours of our next sponsors will most definitely not be the deciding factor for who we choose, if indeed we have an option. Let's wait and see...

boban
05-15-2016, 06:20 PM
More Metros Croatia than Blizzard ... :)
Thats a 1978 picture .. after Eusabio left and the 1976 Championship team.
But that was there second kit .. blue shorts ;)

http://www.nasljerseys.com/images/Metros/Metros-Croatia%2078%20Home%20Team.jpg

boban
05-15-2016, 06:22 PM
I thought the original proposal was for red shorts:

http://storage.torontosun.com/v1/dynamic_resize/sws_path/suns-prod-images/1297810086183_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&size=650x

And if they were honouring the Blizzard, they might have not only got the shorts colour correct, but the length as well:

http://www.nasljerseys.com/images/Blizzard/Blizzard%2082%20Home%20Jomo%20Sono%20Ace%20Ntsoele ngoe.jpg

Blizzard haven't won anything ..

Honoring the Croats who actually won something :)

http://www.nasljerseys.com/images/Metros/Metros-Croatia%2078%20Home%20Team.jpg

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/163dbc_528178ae932641ad973831e23c1ba70f.jpg/v1/fill/w_937,h_671,al_c,q_85,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01/163dbc_528178ae932641ad973831e23c1ba70f.jpg

boban
05-15-2016, 06:24 PM
Just have them switch from the blue shorts to their red ones and they'll be fine. That's what the Blizzard wore during their NASL days, which is whom TFC is honoring.
No, honoring Metros Croatia.

Red4ever
05-15-2016, 06:27 PM
Its still better than our black kit.

Redcoe15
05-15-2016, 06:31 PM
No, honoring Metros Croatia.

http://www.nasljerseys.com/images/Blizzard/Blizzard%2081%20Home%20Team.jpg

boban
05-15-2016, 06:35 PM
http://www.nasljerseys.com/images/Blizzard/Blizzard%2081%20Home%20Team.jpg

And the blue shorts are where?

The kit last night was closer to Croatia then to Blizzard.
Croatia has red numbers and names on the white jerseys.
They also had a kit version of white socks with the blue short (just can't find a picture online)

Redcoe15
05-15-2016, 06:54 PM
And the blue shorts are where?

The kit last night was closer to Croatia then to Blizzard.
Croatia has red numbers and names on the white jerseys.
They also had a kit version of white socks with the blue short (just can't find a picture online)

My point is they can easily sooth the problem by switching over to the red shorts that they currently use. Just like the photo that I posted.

Red4ever
05-15-2016, 07:02 PM
Solve the problem? What problem?

100 people (tops) on a message board think blue shorts is the reason why we are losing?

Keep being you conspiracy theorists. Dont ever ever change.

DinamoTFC
05-15-2016, 08:05 PM
I thought the original proposal was for red shorts

TFC stated in a previous article and an article reported in the Toronto Sun stated that blue shorts represent Blizzard and red shorts represent Metros-Croatia, just for clarification.

jazzy
05-15-2016, 08:26 PM

100 people (tops) on a message board think blue shorts is the reason why we are losing?

how about this Mr. I have nothing to add but negativity towards fellow posters . The f%%king kit is ugly , Good enough .

You are tiring me .

Red4ever
05-15-2016, 09:26 PM
how about this Mr. I have nothing to add but negativity towards fellow posters . The f%%king kit is ugly , Good enough .

You are tiring me .

Have a beer Jazzy

CBTFC
05-15-2016, 09:28 PM

*slow clap for truth*

Yagbod
05-15-2016, 11:39 PM
The red shorts version will only be worn once this year during the anniversary tribute night game. It's blue the rest of the way.

This is directly from Manning.

I hate that blue. Two years ago or two from now it wouldn't be as big a deal. But with the argos coming this year it is bad optics at the least. That's my take.

OgtheDim
05-16-2016, 06:06 AM
The red shorts version will only be worn once this year during the anniversary tribute night game. It's blue the rest of the way.

This is directly from Manning.

I hate that blue. Two years ago or two from now it wouldn't be as big a deal. But with the argos coming this year it is bad optics at the least. That's my take.

People who don't like this should take this up with Manning.

Something to this said by the Finding Toronto guys made sense to me

a) People coming to this team from non MLS soccer traditions (i.e. 99.999% of people) don't understand why we don't have a consistent home kit

b) The home red kit is an important part of the whole fortress mentality. Its part of the ethos of the relationship of the supporters to the team. I get that a lot of MLS teams ignore this for the sake of shirt sales but, really, if TFC is to cement its nighttime games as an event, everything helps.

I'm not against the blue, nor do I think its why we lost. And, frankly, I don't see the players caring, to be honest.

But, I am for a consistent home kit, for the sake of the experience and the effect it develops within the fans. As much as I loved the Onyx and I also really like that alternative shirt, we should keep that for the road games.

I would not expect a change this season.

But, like no friendlies, I think TFC can change this for next season.

https://twitter.com/findingtoronto/status/731979864274833408

https://twitter.com/findingtoronto/status/731984963642503169

Fort York Redcoat
05-16-2016, 07:55 AM

We've said we don't like it. We've said we won't buy it. What are you proposing??

Still Kicking
05-16-2016, 08:05 AM
We've said we don't like it. We've said we won't buy it. What are you proposing??

I do not speak for ExiledRed... but I propose that a squad of young people, gifted players of both genders, pose as ball kids on the sidelines and SHOULD TFC appear on their home pitch wearing blue shorts, the squads be sent onto the field to swarm the TFC players and remove their shorts. I suggest the squad size be 50 - so that would be five swarmers for every blue short. Then the swarmers would run off the field, with blue shorts held aloft and run towards the north stand/patio. They could melt into the crowd and move to the GO station. Leaving the shorts on the next GO Train...

Fort York Redcoat
05-16-2016, 08:09 AM
I do not speak for ExiledRed... but I propose that a squad of young people, gifted players of both genders, pose as ball kids on the sidelines and SHOULD TFC appear on their home pitch wearing blue shorts, the squads be sent onto the field to swarm the TFC players and remove their shorts. I suggest the squad size be 50 - so that would be five swarmers for every blue short. Then the swarmers would run off the field, with blue shorts held aloft and run towards the north stand/patio. They could melt into the crowd and move to the GO station. Leaving the shorts on the next GO Train...

It's the perfect crime - and I think you're the one to pull it (them) off! g:D

SERIOUSLY though...

this is one of the most detailed ridiculous ideas I've ever seen here. Thank you.:)

Red CB Toronto
05-16-2016, 08:13 AM
The reality is that most of the moves made by the MLSE marketing braintrust are not directed at those that are here game in, game out. the Suppporters. In reality the supporers from 111 thru 119 are the vocal minority which there is nothing wrong with as we know and understand our passion. But at the end of the day there is significant number of people who are coming for an entertaining night out and those who are who being targeted with cheap pre-game beer in the north end, Budweiser events up on the 200 level etc. When it comes to the White Jersey's with a hint of Blue there are only being worn at home for 4 of 17 home games.

Still Kicking
05-16-2016, 08:23 AM
Shucks, detailed AND ridiculous.....I have never been so accurately captured and so deeply humbled.

I did not even get to the stage where the shorts end up in Lost and Found and are adopted by the Raptors to wear in Cleveland...

Red CB Toronto
05-16-2016, 08:26 AM
This is my favourite MLS tributes LOL to their cities team in the NASL. I am sure Drew Moor enjoys the "White" Reds Jersey compared to when he had to wear these. ( :

http://colorado-mp7static.mlsdigital.net/styles/image_default/s3/mp6/image_nodes/2014/04/Caribous%20drew%20deshorn%20serious.jpg?fNghHXzCbh w_OZzq3Om28sMYPmU8s9mF&itok=W2fboT52

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Caribous.jpg

findingtoronto
05-16-2016, 08:32 AM
is this an MLS thing across all teams? Im really struggling to get why a team at home wouldn't wear their home strip. The colours of the club, the stadium and the fans is red and when at home this the colour I believe should be worn at all time. Did the team lose because they didn't wear red? no. I accept money has to be made, and replica jerseys offer a good source of income but if Id paid over $100 for my kids to wear red, and the team trotted out in white Id feel a little let down, and they'd probably ask why id bought the wrong kit.

The mind is a very powerful tool, you need to create an atmosphere at BMO Field that is 'all for one' this seems bizarre that we are 'all for one' then the players are the odd ones out. The fact that this thread is here, and its up for discussion would suggest the same conversations where happening at the stadium on saturday night, this at a time when the focus of everyone should have just been on securing three points.

Ive got no problem with the white/blue, personally Im not from a Toronto background, I just think its a nice kit, and a decent alternate. Im a new fan to Toronto this season, and when I switched the game on the other night we looked like visitors in our own home, and to me this just didn't feel right.

The kits in the online store are advertised as 'Home' and 'Alternate' and for me, when at Home, we should play in the Home shirt.

Fort York Redcoat
05-16-2016, 08:33 AM
Shucks, detailed AND ridiculous.....I have never been so accurately captured and so deeply humbled.

I did not even get to the stage where the shorts end up in Lost and Found and are adopted by the Raptors to wear in Cleveland...

Laughter is the best medicine. Thanks for this. Cheers. :)

Cas87
05-16-2016, 08:35 AM
is this an MLS thing across all teams? Im really struggling to get why a team at home wouldn't wear their home strip. The colours of the club, the stadium and the fans is red and when at home this the colour I believe should be worn at all time. Did the team lose because they didn't wear red? no. I accept money has to be made, and replica jerseys offer a good source of income but if Id paid over $100 for my kids to wear red, and the team trotted out in white Id feel a little let down, and they'd probably ask why id bought the wrong kit.

The mind is a very powerful tool, you need to create an atmosphere at BMO Field that is 'all for one' this seems bizarre that we are 'all for one' then the players are the odd ones out. The fact that this thread is here, and its up for discussion would suggest the same conversations where happening at the stadium on saturday night, this at a time when the focus of everyone should have just been on securing three points.

Ive got no problem with the white/blue, personally Im not from a Toronto background, I just think its a nice kit, and a decent alternate. Im a new fan to Toronto this season, and when I switched the game on the other night we looked like visitors in our own home, and to me this just didn't feel right.

The kits in the online store are advertised as 'Home' and 'Alternate' and for me, when at Home, we should play in the Home shirt.

All MLS Teams wear their 'Alternate' Kits at home at least a couple of times a year (especially when they are just introduced) solely for sales.
See Colorado/New England with their State Flag inspired alternates, Us with the Onyx kits in 2014, and CBus with their Minion inspired kits this year adn their black kits last year as well.

Fort York Redcoat
05-16-2016, 08:36 AM

Completely agree but it works the same way regardless the hue of an alternate. We didn't have this convo at this length concerning the onyx kit but it was better received. They specifically call it an alternate and not the new away kit for this reason to "show it off" to hopefully get more sales at home as if we only see them live and tv doesn't exist.

Red4ever
05-16-2016, 08:38 AM
Theyre primary and alternate based on the leagues format. No "true" home shirt.

The online stores are wrong and dont care to clarify is my guess.

Fort York Redcoat
05-16-2016, 08:42 AM

You are tiring me .

Let's try and keep it about the kit in general, please.

Cashcleaner
05-16-2016, 08:48 AM
People who don't like this should take this up with Manning.

Something to this said by the Finding Toronto guys made sense to me

a) People coming to this team from non MLS soccer traditions (i.e. 99.999% of people) don't understand why we don't have a consistent home kit

b) The home red kit is an important part of the whole fortress mentality. Its part of the ethos of the relationship of the supporters to the team. I get that a lot of MLS teams ignore this for the sake of shirt sales but, really, if TFC is to cement its nighttime games as an event, everything helps.

I'm not against the blue, nor do I think its why we lost. And, frankly, I don't see the players caring, to be honest.

But, I am for a consistent home kit, for the sake of the experience and the effect it develops within the fans. As much as I loved the Onyx and I also really like that alternative shirt, we should keep that for the road games.

I would not expect a change this season.

But, like no friendlies, I think TFC can change this for next season.

https://twitter.com/findingtoronto/status/731979864274833408

https://twitter.com/findingtoronto/status/731984963642503169

Og, you took the words out of my mouth. I think it is very important to maintain some sort of consistency, and red kits at home should totally be the standard for us. I still like the black alternate kit and will tolerate the new white top, but those two points above are probably the best arguments for keeping us dressed as The Reds here at home. I mean, the team's nickname seems to be getting much more exposure by the club and media - heck, the name is used in this season's ticket holder scarves. Let's not go out of our way to confuse potential new fans, right?

As an aside, anyone have any idea if people are buying these new heritage tops? I don't think I've seen a single person wear one in 112 or on the GO coming into Toronto.

Fort York Redcoat
05-16-2016, 08:53 AM
As an aside, anyone have any idea if people are buying these new heritage tops? I don't think I've seen a single person wear one in 112 or on the GO coming into Toronto.

YES.

and for the most part they look like first kits on kids/younger fans. I've seen old fans with them as well but only a handful.

Derko
05-16-2016, 09:33 AM

It's called tongue in cheek humor buddy, geez

Red4ever
05-16-2016, 10:00 AM
It's called tongue in cheek humor buddy, geez

Its actually not. Some people are obviously tongue in cheek and humourous but most people are using it as a springboard to justify their kit hate and not funny in thr slightest. Those opinions are ripe for ridicule.

Beach_Red
05-16-2016, 10:11 AM
The reality is that most of the moves made by the MLSE marketing braintrust are not directed at those that are here game in, game out. the Suppporters. In reality the supporers from 111 thru 119 are the vocal minority which there is nothing wrong with as we know and understand our passion. But at the end of the day there is significant number of people who are coming for an entertaining night out and those who are who being targeted with cheap pre-game beer in the north end, Budweiser events up on the 200 level etc. When it comes to the White Jersey's with a hint of Blue there are only being worn at home for 4 of 17 home games.

This is true but it does need to be addressed. Not just MLSE but MLS is trying to build something and from the beginning haven't been sure which way to do it. Even though the most successful method so far has been to build on the foundation the supporters have put in place, the marketing still sometimes works against that. It's not a bad idea to point that out.

OgtheDim
05-16-2016, 10:46 AM
is this an MLS thing across all teams?

Yes, but some do it more then others.

Im really struggling to get why a team at home wouldn't wear their home strip. The colours of the club, the stadium and the fans is red and when at home this the colour I believe should be worn at all time. Did the team lose because they didn't wear red? no. I accept money has to be made, and replica jerseys offer a good source of income but if Id paid over $100 for my kids to wear red, and the team trotted out in white Id feel a little let down, and they'd probably ask why id bought the wrong kit.

One other different thing over here is there isn't much in the way of "one off coming to a home game from far away but support the team all the time" attendance. You either show up all the time, show up some of the time and support the team or show up cause its fun to go to a game. There isn't much of a hard core far away but get to a game occasionally support base (well apart from those who come from the local area to see TFC when the team travels)

On here, you are in the land of the hardcore supporter. Most supporters are a bit more casual and probably didn't know there was an alternate kit with blue shorts, even though we have played in that kit already this season. The amount of people who come to games and don't know a star is injured or on international duty is quite high.

One of the quirky things about MLS is teams get most of their revenue from ticket sales and merchandise.

Insert digression:
(well apart from US TV rights to US & Mexican National Team games, which funnel to MLS through a separate company - it would be like the EPL owning the rights to the English MNT (we use MNT or WNT over here because for decades the Women's National Teams have been more successful (welcome to the land of quirky football relationships - it is CONCACAF that brought down Sepp Blatter after all)))

TV is there because almost every sport is covered somehow. But, its not the main focus of teams marketing wise. That is getting people in the gate. The TV ratings are generally abysmal. That game on Saturday would do well to get 250 000 people watching across Canada.

The kits in the online store are advertised as 'Home' and 'Alternate' and for me, when at Home, we should play in the Home shirt. Agreed.

BTW, the level of detailed knowledge among hard core MLS supporters is quite high primarily because soccer came of age as a spectator sport here right when the internet took off.

E.g. Every time there is a major game on from somewhere in Europe, something about that game is trending on twitter here in Toronto. Its a very knowledgeable base, when it comes to whatever it wants to be knowledgeable about.

Justin10000
05-16-2016, 10:51 AM
YES.

and for the most part they look like first kits on kids/younger fans. I've seen old fans with them as well but only a handful.

I saw quite a few adults wearing the kits on Saturday. They're more popular then I thought.
(I like them, BTW, just can't afford the cost)

OgtheDim
05-16-2016, 10:55 AM
...As an aside, anyone have any idea if people are buying these new heritage tops? I don't think I've seen a single person wear one in 112 or on the GO coming into Toronto.

FWIW, on the day I went down to the Popup shop on Queen West, I saw somebody cycling to work there with one on. Within an hour down on Queens Quay, I saw somebody jogging wearing one - he looked like a training staff member I've seen on the pitch on game day. Both guys looked good in that shirt because both were fit.

I've seen a couple of kids and one adult at games wearing one.

Like the old white away/alternate shirts, the white shirt looks cool if you are young or fit - if you got a belly, wear a coat or a hoodie and you'll look better. :)

ExiledRed
05-16-2016, 11:32 AM

Im worried about you. Nobody thinks that magic is involved. It is fun to blame the loss on those offensive and ugly fuckin' kits though. Its also good to draw attention to the fact that we dont like the team identity being fucked with, and we as supporters have every fuckin' right to say so, and this would be the venue to do that.

Every post I see you make, seems to be vomiting on other peoples right to express their opinions. You either call them whiners, accuse them of moaning and right now.. you are likening people to conspiracy theorists who believe in lizard men.

Go away, we're talking. fuck.

Red4ever
05-16-2016, 12:46 PM
Im worried about you. Nobody thinks that magic is involved. It is fun to blame the loss on those offensive and ugly fuckin' kits though. Its also good to draw attention to the fact that we dont like the team identity being fucked with, and we as supporters have every fuckin' right to say so, and this would be the venue to do that.

Every post I see you make, seems to be vomiting on other peoples right to express their opinions. You either call them whiners, accuse them of moaning and right now.. you are likening people to conspiracy theorists who believe in lizard men.

Go away, we're talking. fuck.

You come on a board of a group to which you are not a member and use the term "we" as if it means all supporters.

Well "I" as a supporter think using a loss to support the fact that your a grown man complaining about uniform colour on an internet forum is embarassing for the rest of us.

So i'm going to mock your opinion. You have a right to make an opinion, you arent immune from it being called out when its embarrassing for our fanbase. And should other people who csre about football stumble on here, i want them to know there are a great deal of rational supporters who dont care about the jersey colour or your idea of what "supporters" think.

Derko
05-16-2016, 12:48 PM
Its actually not. Some people are obviously tongue in cheek and humourous but most people are using it as a springboard to justify their kit hate and not funny in thr slightest. Those opinions are ripe for ridicule.

Well as much as I dislike the alternate uniform, I took it and will take it as tongue in cheek

jabbronies
05-16-2016, 12:55 PM
I've hated all alt kits this club has ever worn and I will always blame the loss the Alt/Away kit. :D
I especially find it odd that the home team playing in their home stadium wore a Alt/Away kit.

I understand the business side of it and why club management would want to do it. It's all about $elling more jer$ey$

But IMO it's very bizarre and really leaves a bad taste in the mouths of all fans - especially the casuals who show up wearing some sort of red they scrounged up - only to find out the home team is white, blue and red. I thought we were watching the American National team out there!

jloome
05-16-2016, 02:11 PM
Well as much as I dislike the alternate uniform, I took it and will take it as tongue in cheek

I don't think anyone's really that upset here. Good-natured. But the marketing point is valid, and people will become more upset about that over time. It's a real mood-killer when they do something for allegedly "historic" reasons but fail to consider tradition, the Argos sensitivity, the blue-white issue, the fact that nineteen dozen teams in NA history have been red-white-and-blue.

They look like the late 70s Allouettes to me...

Their marketing head needs to be a hardcore fan, and he needs to stick up for developing traditions that are about the club's culture, not the bottom line. Those shorts looked fucking ridiculous.

Red CB Toronto
05-16-2016, 02:14 PM
Technically The Reds have only worn a third kit in two games, the pink one for breast cancer awareness in 2009. The home kit which has always been red and the road/alternate kit has been grey, white and black.

I've hated all 3rd kits this club has ever worn and I will always blame the loss the Alt/Away kit. :D
I especially find it odd that the home team playing in their home stadium wore a Alt/Away kit.

I understand the business side of it and why club management would want to do it. It's all about $elling more jer$ey$

But IMO it's very bizarre and really leaves a bad taste in the mouths of all fans - especially the casuals who show up wearing some sort of red they scrounged up - only to find out the home team is white, blue and red. I thought we were watching the American National team out there!

Beach_Red
05-16-2016, 02:25 PM
I don't think anyone's really that upset here. Good-natured. But the marketing point is valid, and people will become more upset about that over time. It's a real mood-killer when they do something for allegedly "historic" reasons but fail to consider tradition, the Argos sensitivity, the blue-white issue, the fact that nineteen dozen teams in NA history have been red-white-and-blue.

They look like the late 70s Allouettes to me...

Their marketing head needs to be a hardcore fan, and he needs to stick up for developing traditions that are about the club's culture, not the bottom line. Those shorts looked fucking ridiculous.

You mean the Concordes? ;)

But seriously, TFC isn't a club it's a franchise. That's the root of the issue, there is no "club culture." I wish there was, but this thread shows it's not likely to get much real traction.

TFC Tifoso
05-16-2016, 02:36 PM
I don't necessarily have a problem with the alternate SHIRT, or even wearing it at home on occasion (ie. for "special events nights" like it was on Saturday).....the problem with me is the blue shorts.....it doesn't even look like our TFC out there.....IF they HAVE to wear them again, red shorts please.....

Still Kicking
05-16-2016, 04:00 PM
Wow, this has become my favourite thread of all time!!

Attempt at summary

The heritage kit looks like a laundry pile after a Metros-Croatia vs Alouette game (unless it was a USMNT vs Blizzard game)

Registered users should defer to RPB notably in claims pertaining to speaking for all (for one) supporters. (I do intend to send in money and join up, but where did I put my notes from that membership phone call???).

Tongue in cheek is a tactical formation used by the Faroe Islands when they defeated the Greeks and sent Claudio Ranieri on to glory at Leicester City, I think.

I may be allowed to play for both sides, poke fun at the concept of blaming blue shorts (and windspeed, lake water temperature and failing to use Eriq Zavaleta and Josh Williams as brute force strikers) for the loss to the Whitecaps AND truly hate the blue shorts...

jabbronies
05-16-2016, 08:23 PM
Technically The Reds have only worn a third kit in two games, the pink one for breast cancer awareness in 2009. The home kit which has always been red and the road/alternate kit has been grey, white and black.

I meant Alt kit - not 3rd kit. you are correct

they also wore Onyx in the defoe year at home.

FluSH
05-16-2016, 09:50 PM
Well darn it, to my 10yr old son aka Jr Flush the team is now blue!

He doesn't understand why we sing to the reds but they have blue shorts. I tried to explain The whole "paying homeage to the first team in Toronto...." Well I failed.

Red CB Toronto
05-16-2016, 10:22 PM
I meant Alt kit - not 3rd kit. you are correct

they also wore Onyx in the defoe year at home.

Am I right that the only 3rd in Reds history was the Pink one?

JavierMartini
05-17-2016, 04:32 AM
No blue shorts at bmo!! Two stick Inc.

Cas87
05-17-2016, 07:56 AM

The Pink kits was one, and for 2010 we had Red/Red, White/White and Grey/Black as our combos (although I believe the Grey with Black shorts was only worn once, maybe twice that year in the Canadian Championship).

Fort York Redcoat
05-17-2016, 08:32 AM
No blue shorts at bmo!! Two stick Inc.

You would have to sneak that in. They check at the gate and that wouldn't get the clear.

I know you were probably joking but just in case you were actually thinking about making it...

Fort York Redcoat
05-17-2016, 08:43 AM
Wow, this has become my favourite thread of all time!!

Attempt at summary

The heritage kit looks like a laundry pile after a Metros-Croatia vs Alouette game (unless it was a USMNT vs Blizzard game)

Registered users should defer to RPB notably in claims pertaining to speaking for all (for one) supporters. (I do intend to send in money and join up, but where did I put my notes from that membership phone call???).

Tongue in cheek is a tactical formation used by the Faroe Islands when they defeated the Greeks and sent Claudio Ranieri on to glory at Leicester City, I think.

I may be allowed to play for both sides, poke fun at the concept of blaming blue shorts (and windspeed, lake water temperature and failing to use Eriq Zavaleta and Josh Williams as brute force strikers) for the loss to the Whitecaps AND truly hate the blue shorts...

Most of this is fun and games but let me clarify that declaring that one as a user or member speak for everyone as a supporter is folly.

Your issue with the reality of this board being run on members has nothing to do with deferral on opinions outside how the group is run. Colour of shorts does not qualify.

Phil
05-17-2016, 08:56 AM
The Pink kits was one, and for 2010 we had Red/Red, White/White and Grey/Black as our combos (although I believe the Grey with Black shorts was only worn once, maybe twice that year in the Canadian Championship).

for 2010 we had a pink, red for home (with the collar) and the white with grey collar - I believe that is the year we split the home and away kit cycle to 2 years respectively.

http://www.soccershopusa.com/Images_Products/Adidas-TorontoFC-AwayJersey-E79778-1.jpg

http://www.soccershopusa.com/Images_Products/Adidas-TorontoFC-HomeJersey-E79779-1.jpg

Then came the white in 2010 and the pictured grey was put to pasture. This pic is the 2011 combo as we updated the red

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTdsVWHf1wEU4b2hqauWUFZRVqMNaiTA 38yT0haZ4iqvfhEKB3HwRRZ_GrDPA

jabbronies
05-17-2016, 11:19 AM

ya I think so - Pink was the only true 3rd kit

Unless the grey and white crossed over at one point - which would've made the white the 3rd kit - but that would've been like 1 season. And TBH I wouldn't even count that.

greatwhitenorf
05-17-2016, 12:46 PM
I called bullshit on this whole heritage nonsense because it’s patently nonsense. It’s just sheer manipulation of our perceptions about the franchise (it certainly isn’t a ‘club’ in the traditional sense). It will only grow over time if we don’t raise objections now.

Look at the ridiculous amount of changes to colours and logos in the NBA. The Raptors have undergone several of them. Their playoff opponents in Cleveland look like an 11-year-old girl in her mother’s make-up kit. Do you want to see TFC look like the Vancouver Canucks in cleats? That’s where MLSE will take this notion if fans let them. It’s like they’re frustrated because they can’t screw around very much with the Leafs logo or colours.

The way this whole heritage thing is trotted out at us is ridiculous.

TFC have never worn blue – but our biggest Canadian MLS rivals do. The biggest threat to long term quality soccer – the Argos – wear blue. And MLSE were never involved with the Blizzard or Metros clubs, even if Steve Stavro dabbled in the game with his Knob Hill Farms sponsorships. If the history of soccer in Toronto really mattered to MLSE, why aren’t we seeing the team website routinely offering great stories, photos or videos – highlights, interviews - from these past teams? Really bringing this so-called ‘heritage’ to life.

Where are they presenting anything from the collective memories of past players – Bruce Wilson, Randy Ragan, Budgie Byrne, Zjelko Bilecki – coaches – Bob Houghton, Keith Eddy - or fans about great games, interesting experiences, the life and death of the North American Soccer League or the Canadian Soccer League? About anything at all about helping soccer take root in Toronto?

Where’s the love for Thundering Dale Barnes?! The bellowing voice for soccer in Canada and first (only?) commissioner of the Canadian league.

How come we don’t see TFC leaning on great historians of the game to bring this ‘heritage’ to life. Where are contributions from the likes of Colin Jose, Bob Koep, Norman Da Costa, Dick Howard, Alf De Blasis? Or historical pictures from Les Jones? All these men could present amazing stories about soccer history in this city.

But we’re not getting that from TFC are we? Fuck that action. Not when there’s wallets to be hoovered, wills to be bent and perceptions to be altered. All by tarting up the playing kit and stadium in Bullshit Blue.

We’re months into the season and all we’re seeing is beads and baubles, a load of manipulative, commercial clap-trap. You’re a sucker for buying it.

Here's a lovely picture to remember the great days of Blizzard games at Varsity.

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/soccer-nasl-championship-toronto-blizzard-in-action-vs-chicago-sting-picture-id87924505

I'm sure someone at TFC is going to tell us that the silly pre-game flight of Bitchy is an acknowledgement of Toronto soccer history. Toronto Falcons players in white:

http://www.nasljerseys.com/images/Falcons/Falcons%2067%20Home%20Ken%20Bracewell,%20Frank%20R ondanini,%20Dorivaldo%20Becca.jpg

Fort York Redcoat
05-17-2016, 01:14 PM
I called bullshit on this whole heritage nonsense because it’s patently nonsense. It’s just sheer manipulation of our perceptions about the franchise (it certainly isn’t a ‘club’ in the traditional sense). It will only grow over time if we don’t raise objections now.

Look at the ridiculous amount of changes to colours and logos in the NBA. The Raptors have undergone several of them. Their playoff opponents in Cleveland look like an 11-year-old girl in her mother’s make-up kit. Do you want to see TFC look like the Vancouver Canucks in cleats? That’s where MLSE will take this notion if fans let them. It’s like they’re frustrated because they can’t screw around very much with the Leafs logo or colours.

The way this whole heritage thing is trotted out at us is ridiculous.

TFC have never worn blue – but our biggest Canadian MLS rivals do. The biggest threat to long term quality soccer – the Argos – wear blue. And MLSE were never involved with the Blizzard or Metros clubs, even if Steve Stavro dabbled in the game with his Knob Hill Farms sponsorships. If the history of soccer in Toronto really mattered to MLSE, why aren’t we seeing the team website routinely offering great stories, photos or videos – highlights, interviews - from these past teams? Really bringing this so-called ‘heritage’ to life.

Where are they presenting anything from the collective memories of past players – Bruce Wilson, Randy Ragan, Budgie Byrne, Zjelko Bilecki – coaches – Bob Houghton, Keith Eddy - or fans about great games, interesting experiences, the life and death of the North American Soccer League or the Canadian Soccer League? About anything at all about helping soccer take root in Toronto?

Where’s the love for Thundering Dale Barnes?! The bellowing voice for soccer in Canada and first (only?) commissioner of the Canadian league.

How come we don’t see TFC leaning on great historians of the game to bring this ‘heritage’ to life. Where are contributions from the likes of Colin Jose, Bob Koep, Norman Da Costa, Dick Howard, Alf De Blasis? Or historical pictures from Les Jones? All these men could present amazing stories about soccer history in this city.

But we’re not getting that from TFC are we? Fuck that action. Not when there’s wallets to be hoovered, wills to be bent and perceptions to be altered. All by tarting up the playing kit and stadium in Bullshit Blue.

We’re months into the season and all we’re seeing is beads and baubles, a load of manipulative, commercial clap-trap. You’re a sucker for buying it.

Here's a lovely picture to remember the great days of Blizzard games at Varsity.

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/soccer-nasl-championship-toronto-blizzard-in-action-vs-chicago-sting-picture-id87924505

I'm sure someone at TFC is going to tell us that the silly pre-game flight of Bitchy is an acknowledgement of Toronto soccer history. Toronto Falcons players in white:

http://www.nasljerseys.com/images/Falcons/Falcons%2067%20Home%20Ken%20Bracewell,%20Frank%20R ondanini,%20Dorivaldo%20Becca.jpg

Have you looked into what they are planning for heritage night? Sounds like you're speculating. You're also making this out to sound like a majority of people purchasing these kits are doing so for what you deem a false sense of heritage. That's not what I'm learning. The most I've heard about heritage is here and most of that talk is people that still aren't buying the kit.

And Bitchy is a hawk.

Thanks for the great pics!

Joe Kool
05-17-2016, 01:59 PM
So do we go back to the white/blue kits again for NYCFC game? Back to back games with white/blue kits? Vanney last year had his lucky salmon coloured shirt so he is a bit superstitious I would say. I think we see red on Wednesday.

greatwhitenorf
05-17-2016, 03:03 PM
Fort York,

Yeah, there's one game where they mention honoring Metros-Croatia's '76 title. With a card giveaway.

If ever there was a more obscure and uncelebrated title winner. Despite the presence of a struggling Eusebio - age, injuries, alcohol - the ethnic name gave them all the mainstream appeal of Serbian White Eagles and they did not draw well or enjoy a high media profile.

Looking at the TFC Promotional Night link on their site, there's no mention of the Blizzard. Yet that club did far more to bring soccer into the mainstream. It also provided some solid contributions to Canada's amazing team that qualified for the 1986 World Cup.

I appreciate you standing up for the franchise that you make a huge effort to support. But seeing them trim this whole heritage concept in Bullshit Blue is a specious action in my opinion because the team has never worn blue before. Which begs the question: Are we seeing TFC earnestly reference the past or simply taking a first strategic step to shape the future?

greatwhitenorf
05-17-2016, 03:17 PM
woops

Phil
05-17-2016, 03:24 PM
I don't love the blue but whatever....clubs all around the world do this type of thing. Look at Real Madrid - white, black, green, blue, purple, red, pink

The only thing I see TFC doing is thinking they can do this type of stuff. It looks to me like an MLS / Adidas thing where they look to maximize as much shirt revenue in markets that can absorb it and MLSE are happy to go along with it.

If they would only stick to doing Red at home, I really couldn't care less what they wear away.

greatwhitenorf
05-17-2016, 03:50 PM
Can't believe TFC haven't opted for an alternate kit in MLSE's favourite shade of green - the colour of money.

Hey, I'm OK with alternate or away kits. They're a necessity. But seeing blue introduced in the kits and on the stadium at such a sensitive time is unwise. Using history or heritage in such a vapid manner verges on facetiousness.

To say nothing of the fact it looked dreadful on Saturday night and we saw players make uncharacteristic mistakes that suggested they weren't playing as intuitively or decisively as they did wearing red. It has to go.

dmacd
05-17-2016, 04:39 PM
As has been pointed out many times before, these kits are designed years in advance - so in this case well before the Argos. You have a group of designers that needs to come up with a new kit every single year - and there's only so much you can do with red, white and grey. We've been over-the-top red (two iterations ago), extremely simple red (the current ones) and everything in between. The "heritage" thing is a marketing person looking for an angle that lets them do something differently. There's no sinister Argos crap going on here.

And are people (or one guy at least) seriously suggesting that we played a bad defensive game because we weren't wearing red? Good grief.

barticusz
05-17-2016, 04:39 PM
Just wear Red. And bring back the Onyx. :(

Red4ever
05-17-2016, 04:50 PM
As has been pointed out many times before, these kits are designed years in advance - so in this case well before the Argos. You have a group of designers that needs to come up with a new kit every single year - and there's only so much you can do with red, white and grey. We've been over-the-top red (two iterations ago), extremely simple red (the current ones) and everything in between. The "heritage" thing is a marketing person looking for an angle that lets them do something differently. There's no sinister Argos crap going on here.

And are people (or one guy at least) seriously suggesting that we played a bad defensive game because we weren't wearing red? Good grief.
https://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/46200726.jpg

FluSH
05-17-2016, 07:14 PM

Yagbod
05-18-2016, 02:08 AM

The first part of this is not true.

We knew about the Argo's 4 years ago and flew the no Argo's banner 3 years ago.

It doesn't take 2 years to design and print a shirt.

If only one of these is true that is still enough time for them to think about it and hold off or cancel.

OgtheDim
05-18-2016, 06:08 AM
When the new kits came out this winter, MLS posted a few discussions with designers who indicated that the 2017 shirt was already designed and just waiting for approval. They would be working on 2018 right now.

The League sets a broad marketing approach and teams are free to link into that as they want, or not. 2016 is about relationship to the city. Thus the city colours disaster in CBus.

Initial B
05-18-2016, 06:53 AM
The League sets a broad marketing approach and teams are free to link into that as they want, or not. 2016 is about relationship to the city. Thus the city colours disaster in CBus.
Imagine if they both play with those kits, it will look like minion-ball. I'd expect to see Gru on the sidelines with his girls munching popcorn. Though using a freeze ray on underperforming players would be entertaining.

Phil
05-18-2016, 07:48 AM

If only one of these is true that is still enough time for them to think about it and hold off or cancel.

I don't doubt it could have been cancelled, but then you are really stuck with production issues and real time concerns. This thing was conceptualized and put into a pre production mode at least 2 years out. Its why Bradley started wearing the Toronto blue captain armband last season. Adidas is well known for their production lateness and shortage issues. They are on an incredibly tight schedule and MLS kits are the first product line to use the new templates.

Making a banner about the Argos (it is commendable) 3 years ago doesn't change the fact that the argo deal was off and on again umpteen times in that 4 years and it was very last minute that the deal got completed at all. Despite the narrative, its not a giant conspiracy - just really poor timing and a forgettable alternate kit that will go into the pile with the 'supporters kit'.

Fort York Redcoat
05-18-2016, 08:32 AM

What Phil said plus:

Do we believe they have the vision to create a multi team conspiracy? The Argos deal was not a DEAL in the sense there was a proactive plan at all. It was all reaction to no one caring enough to do anything better.

I firmly believe the Argos had (and were) no concrete part in the initial reno vision. Heritage/Winter Classics by MLSE are sufficient to justify the reno.

Phil
05-18-2016, 08:40 AM
Heck, I would go one step further FYR...

Tim L wanted to get this reno done because his focus is and was soccer in North America. If we as a team continued to operate in that 'little' stadium then we would always be viewed as the poor brother to the Leafs and Raptors. Lets face it, MLSE are focused on those 2 top franchises.

Now we have what appears to be one of the more impressive stadiums in the league and Tim L gets the glory and credit for it. It also checks off the winter classic boxes. Overall MLSE invested $100 million on a stadium they were given, now they stand a chance of returning that investment quicker than ever.

__wowza
05-18-2016, 04:36 PM
if you don't like the kits, don't buy them.

if you haven't bought them, then you've pretty much said all you needed to and are just waxing poetic on here.

can we close down the thread now?

Joe Kool
05-18-2016, 08:49 PM
We got a point out of tonight's game because we wore red :)

Yagbod
05-18-2016, 10:41 PM

If we had worn red last week we would have won tonight. Fact.

Apparently my phone doesn't have that 'hides under the desk' emoji. Imagine, if you will.

GBV
05-18-2016, 10:53 PM

A point in a game we were heavily favoured (-194) to win, not draw or lose.

:)

Joe Kool
05-18-2016, 11:16 PM
A point in a game we were heavily favoured (-194) to win, not draw or lose.

:)

Imagine if we wore white...just for fun let's keep a tally for the year...for curiosity sake.

Fort York Redcoat
05-19-2016, 08:13 AM
If we had worn red last week we would have won tonight. Fact.

Apparently my phone doesn't have that 'hides under the desk' emoji. Imagine, if you will.

g:D I totally read this in this tone of voice...

http://www.blastr.com/sites/blastr/files/Twilight%20Zone%20banner_0.jpg

greatwhitenorf
05-20-2016, 12:47 PM
if you don't like the kits, don't buy them.

if you haven't bought them, then you've pretty much said all you needed to and are just waxing poetic on here.

can we close down the thread now?

Go for it.

History, heritage. It's all much of nothing with TFC and a great many of their fans anyway.

It's all about beer and hashtags. Halftime hype and product placement. And a lot of instant gratification.

My general impression these days is that most people - even season ticket holders - only really care about TFC if they win. The bland, blind acceptance of these ridiculous heritage kits clearly shows history isn't worth a flying farthing.

If it did, the franchise would bring onto the pitch each and every surviving member of the Toronto Croatia fan base who visited the church basement headquarters to donate money to pay the players salaries that glorious, title-winning season.

And for one game, there'd be a gate entry giveaway of curly, blond Randy Ragan wigs, Roberto Bettega ankle socks, Sam Lenarduzzi mustaches or Jimmy Nichol mullets.

But that would just confuse people.

Fort York Redcoat
05-20-2016, 01:23 PM
Go for it.

History, heritage. It's all much of nothing with TFC and a great many of their fans anyway.

It's all about beer and hashtags. Halftime hype and product placement. And a lot of instant gratification.

My general impression these days is that most people - even season ticket holders - only really care about TFC if they win. The bland, blind acceptance of these ridiculous heritage kits clearly shows history isn't worth a flying farthing.

If it did, the franchise would bring onto the pitch each and every surviving member of the Toronto Croatia fan base who visited the church basement headquarters to donate money to pay the players salaries that glorious, title-winning season.

And for one game, there'd be a gate entry giveaway of curly, blond Randy Ragan wigs, Roberto Bettega ankle socks, Sam Lenarduzzi mustaches or Jimmy Nichol mullets.

But that would just confuse people.

This could be done in like a 3 min montage with an overdub narrating precisely this^. Until I see what they do I won't be slagging why they aren't living in the past every single game this season.

Your needs are large on this, bud.

Carter
05-20-2016, 03:50 PM
I'll be honest, I bought three, I like them... not with the blue shirts though...

Newf, what you need to understand is that not everyone that supports Toronto FC is as in the "know" with the History of Football in Toronto as you.

Moving from British Columbia 12 years ago and following the Whitecaps blindly as long as I could remember, I was stoked about the news of Professional Football in Toronto, did it instill the excitement to learn everything about the history in Toronto, no, but my knowledge is with this club, 10 seasons, If they want to release a new kit, if it's slick I'll buy it. From my understanding it's an alternate kit, just like the white ones from a few years ago and the original grey or onyx from last year... The only "Heritage" is the Series they have planned for various nights at the field.

Correct me if I'm wrong. http://www.torontofc.ca/post/2016/04/21/reds-announce-heritage-series-commemorating-10-years-mls

greatwhitenorf
05-20-2016, 09:35 PM
This could be done in like a 3 min montage with an overdub narrating precisely this^. Until I see what they do I won't be slagging why they aren't living in the past every single game this season.

Your needs are large on this, bud.

Hah! You make that sound like a bad thing.

The season has been going on for - as D. Beckham so quaintly phrases it - mumphs, mate. That's many, many weeks into a season that the team would have us believe - based on demanding and time-sensitive uniform tailoring requirements - has been YEARS in the making.

But the team is yet to grace us with this vaunted history and heritage of soccer in Toronto having any sort of meaningful presence on it's website. In relative terms, it would cost MLSE buttons to hire a few qualified people to put something worthwhile together and have it up where fans can read about it FROM THE GET-GO! It's not something to be distilled into a shabby gate giveaway and a three-minute video.

I called bullshit on this whole process and said the whole concept of this presentation of heritage was wasted on many TFC fans. Thanks for proving the point.

Shakes McQueen
05-20-2016, 09:47 PM
I don't like them, and I hope they never wear them again. Beyond that simple pronouncement, I really can't summon up any outrage.

History is littered with teams coming up with godawful special kits. One that tries to be a minor nod to the Toronto's soccer past? Sure, whaaaatever. They aren't getting my money for one, leaving it as a minor irritant at worst.

Wolfe
05-21-2016, 08:09 AM
My brother and I were talking about it too. We believe it represents th colours of Toronto (flag is few, blue and white). But neither of us really like them wearing them, our thought of how they could have done it properly if they wanted to pay homage to the city is to wear them only during Canadian Championships and CCL matches. Many teams in Europe to the same thing where their cup matches feature completely different colours than their traditional ones

Fort York Redcoat
05-21-2016, 12:10 PM

The season has been going on for - as D. Beckham so quaintly phrases it - mumphs, mate. That's many, many weeks into a season that the team would have us believe - based on demanding and time-sensitive uniform tailoring requirements - has been YEARS in the making.

But the team is yet to grace us with this vaunted history and heritage of soccer in Toronto having any sort of meaningful presence on it's website. In relative terms, it would cost MLSE buttons to hire a few qualified people to put something worthwhile together and have it up where fans can read about it FROM THE GET-GO! It's not something to be distilled into a shabby gate giveaway and a three-minute video.

I called bullshit on this whole process and said the whole concept of this presentation of heritage was wasted on many TFC fans. Thanks for proving the point.

Impatient and needs to feel more appreciated. Got it.

It sounds like you would've rather they had sprung this on you the week of the game. But then you wouldn't be able to give us all these awesome snippets of local soccer history "from the get go". I don't want them putting you out of a job, man.

Thanks for the history. :)

Adamo23
05-24-2016, 09:51 AM
Well this kit doesn't work with TFC II
http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/368/files/2016/05/2016-0430-Kickers-v-Toronto-FC-II-16-850x560.jpg

Areathrasher
05-24-2016, 09:59 AM

Did you miss these in February? They were all over social media

http://www.torontofc.ca/post/2016/02/29/torontos-soccer-history-1876-1971

http://www.torontofc.ca/post/2016/02/29/torontos-soccer-history-1971-1987

http://www.torontofc.ca/post/2016/02/29/torontos-soccer-history-1987-present

Fort York Redcoat
05-24-2016, 11:22 AM
Did you miss these in February? They were all over social media

http://www.torontofc.ca/post/2016/02/29/torontos-soccer-history-1876-1971

http://www.torontofc.ca/post/2016/02/29/torontos-soccer-history-1971-1987

http://www.torontofc.ca/post/2016/02/29/torontos-soccer-history-1987-present

NICE!

And I doubt they're done but we have to wait and see.