PDA

View Full Version : MLS Transfers Thread (non TFC) 2016-2017

Pages : [1] 2

MartinUtd
05-12-2016, 11:43 AM
I'll get the ball rolling here:

Columbus Crew SC trades Kei Kamara to New England Revolution

http://www.espnfc.com/major-league-soccer/story/2870113/columbus-crew-trade-kei-kamara-to-new-england-revolution-sources

Crew SC will receive a record amount of allocation money in the trade, a source told ESPN FC, as well as New England's highest first round SuperDraft pick in 2017, second round pick in 2018 and an international roster spot for the 2016 season.

Indian team going after Bradley Wright-Phillips

http://www.ibtimes.co.in/ipl-2016-transfers-former-manchester-city-forward-join-kerala-blasters-678455

Rumor: Miroslav Klose getting closer to joining New York Red Bulls

http://www.onceametro.com/2016/5/10/11651278/rumor-miroslav-klose-getting-closer-to-joining-new-york-red-bulls-mls-ss-lazio-serie-a

Initial B
05-12-2016, 12:07 PM
Well, I think losing a player like KK isn't so bad with that much CAM/TAM and in all likelihood a top 5 draft pick next year. There's such a pool out there for DP-level players that I'm sure the Crew are looking at some players from Europe to bring over in the summer transfer window.

dupont
05-12-2016, 01:28 PM
I wonder if trading Kamara helps or hurts our chances against the Crew next week. They are having major locker room problems there that may be relieved a bit after the trade.

Pint
05-12-2016, 01:35 PM
I wonder if trading Kamara helps or hurts our chances against the Crew next week. They are having major locker room problems there that may be relieved a bit after the trade.

Yes but now they only have Ola Kamara or Conor Casey at forward

Justin10000
I'd say it helps us. Kei is quality.

Fort York Redcoat

I'd say it helps. Kamara was a force and facing the team he lost the boot to? Naw, I'd say even a calm, Kamara-less team is what I'd prefer to face next Sat.

Jack
05-12-2016, 01:51 PM
That could make New England a much more dangerous opponent.

ag futbol
05-12-2016, 01:56 PM
So the whitecaps deal didn't happen? Whoa, I'm betting someone is royally pissed today. Seems like they backed out at the last minute.

Yohan
05-12-2016, 01:58 PM
So the whitecaps deal didn't happen? Whoa, I'm betting someone is royally pissed today. Seems like they backed out at the last minute.
I'm guessing the transfer fee that's owed to Rivero's previous club (Colo colo?) might have put off Columbus

Areathrasher
05-12-2016, 02:01 PM
https://twitter.com/ProvinceWeber/status/730616748441903104

While Ives and Columbus writers were pumping the Caps/Crew trade, Robinson and the Caps were denying.

Me thinks the Crew put out that rumor to put the squeeze on the Revs.

OgtheDim
05-12-2016, 02:19 PM
That could make New England a much more dangerous opponent.

Yes and no. NER basically traded its potential to bolster their backfield DM areas, which are where they lack right now. They got all the attacking busy bees right now but can't keep teams out.

Ivy
05-12-2016, 06:09 PM
@LaurensJulien: Sky Italia report that Zlatan Ibrahimovic will announce in the next few hours that he is leaving PSG. Likely destination: Los Angeles Galaxy

StokeciTFC
05-12-2016, 06:16 PM
Yikes! He would destroy this league in a way a league has never been destroyed before!

ensco
05-12-2016, 06:38 PM
@LaurensJulien: Sky Italia report that Zlatan Ibrahimovic will announce in the next few hours that he is leaving PSG. Likely destination: Los Angeles Galaxy

I do not believe that.

Ibra isn't going to a secondary league. He isn't that guy.

ag futbol
05-12-2016, 06:39 PM
Yikes! He would destroy this league in a way a league has never been destroyed before!
No, no, that's not the way we say things around here.

Everyone knows the correct phrase for every new foreign player is: he will tear this league a new one.

notthesun
05-12-2016, 06:44 PM
I would be pretty interested to see Ibrahimovic in MLS (as long as he plays in the West). He might be 34 but it's a "young" 34... he still hasn't shown any sign of slowing down at all.

I really do think he would, in fact - *clears throat* - tear this league a new one. Probably break the single-season goal scoring record.

StokeciTFC
05-12-2016, 06:58 PM
This is not just any new foreign player though and as has been pointed out, he is showing no signs of slowing down. I fear the numbers he could register here. He could tear the league a new three or four, which would make the eyes water.

OgtheDim
05-12-2016, 07:00 PM
That Italian journalist must be old school - the hip Italian rumour mongers include TFC Montreal and New York.

TFC/Everton
05-12-2016, 07:21 PM
I do not believe that.

I don't agree.

reggie
05-12-2016, 07:26 PM
i guess we will see some new LA DP rule soon:facepalm:
it will be called the super duper DP.

ensco
05-12-2016, 09:06 PM
This is becoming a negotiating tactic that will hurt MLS.

Every player agent plays this card now.

Yohan
05-12-2016, 09:20 PM
Gerrard is retiring at the end of season.

Zlatan coming in summer just pushes Gerrard to retire a bit early.

Nigel de jong is supposedly getting a bump in raise but LA might dump TAM on him

jloome
05-12-2016, 09:22 PM
This is becoming a negotiating tactic that will hurt MLS.

Every player agent plays this card now.

Not in this case. He's talked about coming to MLS for over a year; it's a lifestyle thing. He wants to live the Hollywood glam.

CBTFC
05-12-2016, 09:26 PM
According to Zlatan, the Hollywood glam wants to live him!

TFC/Everton
05-12-2016, 09:35 PM
LA Times: http://www.latimes.com/sports/soccer/la-sp-sn-galaxy-zatan-ibrahimovic-move-20160512-story.html

ensco
05-12-2016, 10:12 PM
Not in this case. He's talked about coming to MLS for over a year; it's a lifestyle thing. He wants to live the Hollywood glam.

Not buying any of it. I see his quotes, but I am convinced this is BS.

He's like Zidane. He's not playing out the string for the money in Qatar or LA. He'll play top flight football, or he won't play.

Chevy
05-12-2016, 10:27 PM

More likely...Zlatan will be suspended from football for life after he strangles Baldomero Toledo during his first match.

Onyx
05-12-2016, 10:37 PM
https://twitter.com/ProvinceWeber/status/730616748441903104

While Ives and Columbus writers were pumping the Caps/Crew trade, Robinson and the Caps were denying.

Me thinks the Crew put out that rumor to put the squeeze on the Revs.

Rivero left out of the 18. KK tweeting he is studying Vancouver. It was more than rumour.
also heard that when crew saw one the VWFCs strikers go down, they tried to get more from caps. And caps walked.

Onyx
05-12-2016, 10:37 PM

He's like Zidane. He's not playing out the string for the money in Qatar or LA. He'll play top flight football, or he won't play.

agree

TFC/Everton
05-12-2016, 10:43 PM

Don't underestimate the appeal of America.

Hamilton_Red
05-13-2016, 01:11 AM
Kei Kamera (Joint top scorer in MLS last season) being traded to NER for nothing tangible this season is insane. It's just a sign that MLS is still a bush league operation. Could you imagine that we traded Giovinco for essentially future considerations? There would be a riot.

Ibra going to join the other 6 DP's at LAG..... Best to just lift the salary cap and let the chips fall where they may.

molenshtain
05-13-2016, 01:35 AM
Kei Kamera (Joint top scorer in MLS last season) being traded to NER for nothing tangible this season is insane. It's just a sign that MLS is still a bush league operation. Could you imagine that we traded Giovinco for essentially future considerations? There would be a riot.

Ibra going to join the other 6 DP's at LAG..... Best to just lift the salary cap and let the chips fall where they may.

It's very valuable money that they got for new signings. It's the exact same thing as a European player being sold for cash.

burlington Red
05-13-2016, 06:19 AM
I do not believe that.

He already went to a secondary league when he signed for PSG. French league has got better since he went there but it is still not as highly regarded as PL, German, Spanish or Italian leagues. Eyebrows were certainly raised when he signed for PSG over one of the more "sexier" leagues, so he has proven he'll go where the highest money is paid. There is a lot of talk about him going potentially to pl next season, as the money there will be massive with new tv deal. I'd like to see him try for one maybe 2 seasons. It's one league he hasn't tried before and I think he'd do well in it.
The LAG connection could be legit, Gerrard has basically just come and said again he wants back to Liverpool asap in some coaching capacity, so his departure could be expedited.
With Ibra you just never know......

Areathrasher
05-13-2016, 07:13 AM
Rivero left out of the 18. KK tweeting he is studying Vancouver. It was more than rumour.
also heard that when crew saw one the VWFCs strikers go down, they tried to get more from caps. And caps walked.

Vancouver were playing Chicago. Chicago are playing the Revs this weekend. Could have been a nice bit of misdirection from Kei. Revs GM said he'd been talking to the Crew about a deal for a week.

Areathrasher
05-13-2016, 08:06 AM
Very reputable Swede journo (who broke the Martial transfer) says Zlatan will choose between Man United or The Galaxy.

https://translate.google.ca/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.vg.no%2Fsport%2Ffotball%2Ffrans k-fotball%2Fovergangsguru-til-vg-zlatan-kan-bli-manchester-united-spiller%2Fa%2F23683484%2F&edit-text=&act=url

Hamilton_Red
05-13-2016, 08:48 AM
Yes - but they have essentially written off the season by not having a replacement before the deadline.

It's very valuable money that they got for new signings. It's the exact same thing as a European player being sold for cash.

burlington Red
05-13-2016, 09:03 AM
Very reputable Swede journo (who broke the Martial transfer) says Zlatan will choose between Man United or The Galaxy.

https://translate.google.ca/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.vg.no%2Fsport%2Ffotball%2Ffrans k-fotball%2Fovergangsguru-til-vg-zlatan-kan-bli-manchester-united-spiller%2Fa%2F23683484%2F&edit-text=&act=url

If, or as a lot of people are assuming when Mourinho gets the Utd job, expect those links with Utd to get stronger. They have a very good relationship from their inter days, and the type of manager Mourinho is, ie 2-3 seasons at a club, he's looking instant success not some youngster who'll be top class in 2-3 seasons. Not a better man to bring in for 1 season to get you goals. The funny thing is he could do a season at Utd, then still come to LAG or whomever in MLS as a genuine superstar

Areathrasher
05-13-2016, 09:05 AM
If, or as a lot of people are assuming when Mourinho gets the Utd job, expect those links with Utd to get stronger. They have a very good relationship from their inter days, and the type of manager Mourinho is, ie 2-3 seasons at a club, he's looking instant success not some youngster who'll be top class in 2-3 seasons. Not a better man to bring in for 1 season to get you goals. The funny thing is he could do a season at Utd, then still come to LAG or whomever in MLS as a genuine superstar

Yup, he's probably waiting to see if Mourinho actually gets the United job.

MartinUtd
05-13-2016, 09:23 AM

This is what I expected. There have been romours of him going to Man U for a while now and I wouldn't be surprised if they threw stupid money at him in an attempt to get back into the top 4. I wonder if Europa league would be enough to further entice him to England (which they still haven't clinched yet).

Either way if he ends up in LA without them losing somebody big, I'll have a hard time taking this league seriously again.

ronzilla
05-13-2016, 09:25 AM
I have read that he wants to go back to AC Milan.

ensco
05-13-2016, 09:26 AM
He already went to a secondary league when he signed for PSG. French league has got better since he went there but it is still not as highly regarded as PL, German, Spanish or Italian leagues. Eyebrows were certainly raised when he signed for PSG over one of the more "sexier" leagues, so he has proven he'll go where the highest money is paid. There is a lot of talk about him going potentially to pl next season, as the money there will be massive with new tv deal. I'd like to see him try for one maybe 2 seasons. It's one league he hasn't tried before and I think he'd do well in it.
The LAG connection could be legit, Gerrard has basically just come and said again he wants back to Liverpool asap in some coaching capacity, so his departure could be expedited.
With Ibra you just never know......

This is false equivalency. Ligue 1 and PSG are in a completely different category than MLS and LAG. That isn't much of a step down. He had a serious shot there at the CL title every year.

My opinion flows from simply following Zlatan's twitter feed over several years, anyone who has done that knows that he has way too royal a self-image to start playing in retirement setups.

He's going to Milan or Manchester United, that LAG story is just about how things work in Italy, and how MLS is becoming the stalking horse for every agent there post-Giovinco and Pirlo.

jloome
05-13-2016, 09:31 AM
This is false equivalency. Ligue 1 and PSG are in a completely different category than MLS and LAG. That isn't much of a step down. He had a serious shot there at the CL title every year.

My opinion flows from simply following Zlatan's twitter feed over several years, anyone who has done that knows that he has way too royal a self-image to start playing in retirement setups.

He's going to Milan or Manchester United, that LAG story is just about how things work in Italy, and how MLS is becoming the stalking horse for every agent there post-Giovinco and Pirlo.

I dunno, outside of about five teams, Ligue 1 is pretty small potatoes. Have you seen how small a town Le Havre is? PSG is a big name, so it's more like going to Celtic than going to MLS. But it's not a top league. I just don't see his ego trumping "Lalalalala America!" You have to grow up over there to understand; the U.S. is glitzy to many Europeans just on principle.

ronzilla
05-13-2016, 09:39 AM
Ibra is the type of player who would be offended if an offer came in from MLS. Very egotistic.

Areathrasher
05-13-2016, 09:41 AM
I have read that he wants to go back to AC Milan.

Milan aren't able to sign anyone until a takeover has been agreed to, no? Or am I imagining that?

Detroit_TFC
05-13-2016, 09:44 AM
If he comes (a big if), he wouldn't be coming to play in MLS, he would come to be in LA and be part of the star circuit. The playing in MLS part is just an adjunct of the other.

Areathrasher
05-13-2016, 09:45 AM
if he comes (a big if), he wouldn't be coming to play in mls, he would come to be in la and be part of the star circuit. The playing in mls part is just an adjunct of the other.

lafc in 2018

Detroit_TFC
05-13-2016, 09:47 AM
lafc in 2018

That actually makes way more sense. For both LAFC (huge marquee name for rollout) and Ibra (super well connected LAFC owners opening all the doors).

JohnnyEnglish
05-13-2016, 10:03 AM
If he comes (a big if), he wouldn't be coming to play in MLS, he would come to be in LA and be part of the star circuit. The playing in MLS part is just an adjunct of the other.

That's the case no matter where he ends up. Even if it's Manchester United. I don't doubt that it's a decision for the ego, rather than a footballing decision.

at 34 he is playing the best football of his carrer. Hopefully he gives it a couple of years before coming over to the MLS.

burlington Red
05-13-2016, 10:08 AM

he can't have too royal a self image if he's playing in France when you consider the number of big clubs in any of the top leagues that would have taken him. I do get your point re false equivalency, but my point was that he has shown before, he has no hesitation in playing a league not considered as one of the top ones if it suits him, and of course the money is right.
In saying that I don't see him playing in MLS myself just yet, but he's sprung surprises before.....

OgtheDim
05-13-2016, 10:36 AM
Ibra for LAFC has been the long standing rumour and they don't start until 2018.

On another note, John Terry goes back to Chelsea for another year, thus hopefully stopping all the navel gazing in MLS circles about whether he would be a good idea over here.

Jack
05-13-2016, 11:11 AM
Yes and no. NER basically traded its potential to bolster their backfield DM areas, which are where they lack right now. They got all the attacking busy bees right now but can't keep teams out.
Fair point, but they will be a handful offensively all the same. Kamara is a scoring beast and they certainly have the guys to feed the beast. I'm not saying they are going to be much better, but they will be more dangerous to play against. If he's on his game and you have to score 3 or 4 to beat them, then it's going to be a tough game. That said, our defence has been rock solid, so I like our chances.

Areathrasher
05-13-2016, 11:49 AM
ESPN big hitters are saying Zlatan is in talks with MLS http://www.espnfc.us/story/2872062/zlatan-ibrahimovic-in-talks-to-play-in-mls-and-join-la-galaxy-sources

notthesun
05-13-2016, 11:59 AM
If it happens it's gotta be a loan for the rest of this MLS season, and he actually joins LA in 2017. LA can't buy down any of their existing DPs and I don't think Gerrard is going to retire mid-season.

Makes sense if Keane has told the Galaxy he's going to retire after this year, Ibrahimovic is let's just say a more than adequate replacement. Gerrard and Keane leave, De Jong's DP status kicks in, Dos Santos remains and then Ibrahimovic joins to make it 3 DPs for next year.

Pint
05-13-2016, 12:45 PM
I've been thinking for a while a 4th DP slot makes sense as the league is looking more and more attractive to bigger name players and the big spenders don't have any slots left. Can't see it happening til the offseason but i'm sure it has to be on the table

C.Ronaldo
05-13-2016, 01:47 PM
Zlatan to LA, Ronaldo to NY, Messi to Miami, suarez to cbus (because he deserves to rot in cbus)

ensco
05-13-2016, 03:29 PM
I dunno, outside of about five teams, Ligue 1 is pretty small potatoes. Have you seen how small a town Le Havre is? PSG is a big name, so it's more like going to Celtic than going to MLS. But it's not a top league. I just don't see his ego trumping "Lalalalala America!" You have to grow up over there to understand; the U.S. is glitzy to many Europeans just on principle.

Ligue 1 is not a top league, but playing for PSG is not exactly playing in Ligue 1 either, given the automatic CL qualification, the payroll and the caliber of teammates.

Oh by the way:

Le Havre: population 175,000
Darmstadt: population 151,000
Norwich: population 140,000
Frosinone: population 46,000
Eibar: population 27,000

The really crazy one is Guingamp, population 7,000. Anyway, every league has teams in small towns.

This gets at the point you may be making. Note that Ligue 1 has the same TV revenues as the Bundesliga.
http://bitterandblue.sbnation.com/2015/2/20/8063543/television-revenue-and-distribution-in-the-top-european-leagues

Point is, Ibra would literally kill somebody on the field here. He couldn't possibly handle the travel, lousy reffing, iffy service, or $60K NCAA defenders trying to break legs. There's no way.

nonc
05-13-2016, 07:15 PM
Dump Altidore sign Zlatan.

TFC/Everton
05-13-2016, 07:28 PM

And the LA Galaxy Executives being quoted off the record in the LA Times saying he might come is also just part of the way things work in Italy? Give your head a shake. There is a difference between garbage websites publishing rumours and the LA Times, ESPN and the Washington Post reporting a story with off and on the record sources.

I think Zlatan, like Beckham, sees LA for what it is - the home of the stars. The football is a step down, but LA is far better today than in was when Beckham came. Conquering America is not a step down. It is the ultimate step.

Richard
05-13-2016, 07:37 PM
Zlatan views himself as a god and I still think he wants to prove people he could produce at the highest level, that's the only thing stopping him from coming.

ensco
05-13-2016, 09:19 PM
And the LA Galaxy Executives being quoted off the record in the LA Times saying he might come is also just part of the way things work in Italy?.

MLS being played. Whether they are in on the joke or not, I don't know.

Believe what you want, it's a free country.

habstfc
05-13-2016, 09:32 PM
Ligue 1 is not a top league, but playing for PSG is not exactly playing in Ligue 1 either, given the automatic CL qualification, the payroll and the caliber of teammates.

Oh by the way:

Le Havre: population 175,000
Darmstadt: population 151,000
Norwich: population 140,000
Frosinone: population 46,000
Eibar: population 27,000

The really crazy one is Guingamp, population 7,000. Anyway, every league has teams in small towns.

This gets at the point you may be making. Note that Ligue 1 has the same TV revenues as the Bundesliga.
http://bitterandblue.sbnation.com/2015/2/20/8063543/television-revenue-and-distribution-in-the-top-european-leagues

Point is, Ibra would literally kill somebody on the field here. He couldn't possibly handle the travel, lousy reffing, iffy service, or $60K NCAA defenders trying to break legs. There's no way.

Ligue 1 is probably 4th or 5th best league in the world.

ensco
05-13-2016, 09:56 PM
Ligue 1 is probably 4th or 5th best league in the world.

It's clearly 5th.

England, Spain, Germany and Italy are all better. Then France is in a second tier by itself, maybe with Brazil. Then you get Portugal, maybe Brazil, Argentina, Russia, maybe Holland, all in a third tier. Close behind that are Belgium, Poland, Mexico. Then there's a big drop to all the other European leagues (Austria, Scotland, and 10 others). MLS is maybe also in this 5th tier, so is J-League.

Hamilton_Red
05-13-2016, 10:12 PM
I'd worry a little if Mahrez is sold by Leicester. The most direct and perfect replacement would be Giovinco in exactly the same role. Ranieri with a massive cheque book and Champions League play.

Areathrasher
05-14-2016, 06:13 AM
Ligue 1 is 6th on the UEFA coefficient list. Portugal in 5th.

TFC/Everton
05-14-2016, 09:56 AM
MLS being played. Whether they are in on the joke or not, I don't know.

Believe what you want, it's a free country.

Oh yes, those damn brilliant Euro businessmen are playing Anschutz Entertainment Group (AEG) for fools! This happens all the time to American businesses. They are constantly being outplayed. lol

Prof
05-14-2016, 12:09 PM
It's clearly 5th.

England, Spain, Germany and Italy are all better. Then France is in a second tier by itself, maybe with Brazil. Then you get Portugal, maybe Brazil, Argentina, Russia, maybe Holland, all in a third tier. Close behind that are Belgium, Poland, Mexico. Then there's a big drop to all the other European leagues (Austria, Scotland, and 10 others). MLS is maybe also in this 5th tier, so is J-League.

This absolute crap. What are you comparing quality of play, attendance figures, TV revenue? If we go by your tainted North American view point we should only be watching the Spanish League as all the others are second rate to it. As I've said before soccer is played in almost every country in the world and there are quality players and teams everywhere. This rating of leagues is crap. Be happy to have and watch Professional Soccer in your city and stop comparing.

MartinUtd
05-14-2016, 12:58 PM
This absolute crap. What are you comparing quality of play, attendance figures, TV revenue? If we go by your tainted North American view point we should only be watching the Spanish League as all the others are second rate to it. As I've said before soccer is played in almost every country in the world and there are quality players and teams everywhere. This rating of leagues is crap. Be happy to have and watch Professional Soccer in your city and stop comparing.

Whoa there, captain straw man. I think ensco used pretty sound reasoning there. You'll be hard pressed to find anyone that doesn't think there's a big 4, then France and Portugal come after it and that those other leagues all come after them. We all enjoy professional football but let's not pretend these leagues are one and them same.

ensco
05-14-2016, 01:51 PM
Oh yes, those damn brilliant Euro businessmen are playing Anschutz Entertainment Group (AEG) for fools! This happens all the time to American businesses. They are constantly being outplayed. lol

You didn't even bother read my post. I said MLS could be in on it, ie doing Ibra's agent a favour. Leiweke was a big player of this game.

I could see Ibra going to LA in a couple of years, maybe, .... maybe. Playing along with this now could be part of building that relationship for the future.

Fort York Redcoat
05-15-2016, 10:05 AM

Peeps can enjoy a league that isn't top 5. Especially if its THEIRS. ensco definitely knows this is his league (whether he always likes it or not) :)

Fort York Redcoat
05-15-2016, 10:09 AM
You didn't even bother read my post. I said MLS could be in on it, ie doing Ibra's agent a favour. Leiweke was a big player of this game.

I could see Ibra going to LA in a couple of years, maybe, .... maybe. Playing along with this now could be part of building that relationship for the future.

While it amounts to the same iffy outcome, the relationship between the 2 groups doesn't necessarily mean its a joke.

But the MLS transfer relationship with other more established or storied leagues is absolutely...unique in how they must approach things.

ensco
05-15-2016, 01:13 PM
Peeps can enjoy a league that isn't top 5. Especially if its THEIRS. ensco definitely knows this is his league (whether he always likes it or not) :)

Yeah, well put. Same as how I feel about BMO. It's mine/ours, in a way that the Leafs/Raps/Jays, or any big Euro league team, can never be.

Someone here posted about all the complaining - he was totally right about that, but missed the way that TFC/MLS is like a family dinner, really. It's not really complaining, it's something more heartfelt and personal.

How many people in this city know enough to intelligently discuss TFC? Maybe a few thousand. (Maybe a few hundred, really!). There are really only maybe 50 reliable posters here.

I mean, have a look at a Jays board. What is it, 200 pages of posts every game?

There is a lot to love, and learn, in life, as a diehard supporter of a minor league team. It's more than fine.

Jack
05-15-2016, 02:48 PM
It's clearly 5th.

Have you watched Mexico? I'd put their league much higher up your scale. Definitely up there with Portugal et al.

ensco
05-15-2016, 02:53 PM
Have you watched Mexico? I'd put their league much higher up your scale. Definitely up there with Portugal et al.

No. I will take your word for it. Mexico is hard to evaluate.

Mexican teams have a poor record in Copa Libertadores.

Jack
05-15-2016, 02:58 PM

It is a weird league because it is somewhat isolated. The playing style is unique and they have a huge (not Brazil huge, but still huge) structure and talent pool. It's somewhat more international now, but it used to be even more insular. When you do compare the big name teams against the South American giants, they should do well, but often come up a bit short. But watching the play, the skill of the players and the amount of talent they produce on a regular basis, I'd put them in that third tier. But probably on their performance internationally, they'd be closer to 3.5, if you will. And they are as obsessed as anyone with the sport.

Anyway, this isn't really transfer talk, so I'll stop, but I do enjoy the Liga MX. :)

Edit: Actually, this article makes me think I'm relying more on bias and nostalgia, as this statistical analysis would seem to support your assertion that they are further down the scale. Interestingly, England is also ranked below Argentina, France and Brazil. I wonder what criteria they use to determine this. The article mentions performance at both the local and international level, but doesn't give much detail beyond that. Perhaps a topic for another discussion.

http://www.excelsior.com.mx/adrenalina/2016/01/07/1067415

Ruffian
05-15-2016, 07:04 PM

Mexican side Tigres UANL lost in the final last year. i would say that is doing pretty good.

ensco
05-23-2016, 07:11 PM
How is that Ibra to the Galaxy move coming along?

OgtheDim
05-23-2016, 07:25 PM

He wants to keep getting his current wage at PSG. Man U might spring for that.

Not sure LAG wants to spring for $20 million a year in actual real "pay Ibra or suffer" money. (IIRC, Beckham was a TL smoke and mirrors show - most of his supposed pay was in endorsement deals and the price of a new team at the time)

StokeciTFC
05-23-2016, 07:28 PM
State of play (rumour wise) is Ibra to Galaxy or LAFC by 2018, Ronaldo to Miami by 2018, as is Messi to NYCFC. We gotta compete and attract a glamour signing to our glamour city!

OgtheDim
05-23-2016, 08:03 PM
Well except Miami ain't playing anywhere in 2018.

UK rumours now Ibra to Man U signing this week.

jloome
05-23-2016, 09:37 PM

They're still talking. Based on a few stories I've seen I'd be surprised if he came while he can still get more money in Europe. But maybe the league will cut him a franchise deal, like Beckham.

burlington Red
05-24-2016, 06:20 AM
If and when Mourinho gets the Utd job, that will be a bigger contributing factor than wages on him joining Utd. They have worked with each other previously and were very successful. Plus the lure of Utd is still huge, it's one of the big leagues he hasn't played in, and although Utd aren't in Champions league next yr, you can see them challenging for honours domestically again within 2 seasons. Mourinho doesn't come to clubs for a long time, approx 3 seasons sames to be his tenure, but he brings success wherever he goes. Some silverware in a resurgent Utd might have preference over money. If money was his true determination, he'd be off to China asap

General Woolfe
05-24-2016, 09:24 PM
A lot of speculation in the UK he's going to Old Trafford once Jose is settled in

ensco
05-25-2016, 07:41 AM
Quelle surprise

jloome
05-25-2016, 01:32 PM
Quelle surprise
You'll be happy to know you called creavalle right too. Philly has him as a straight midfield anchor and he's killing it.

C.Ronaldo
05-25-2016, 03:08 PM
You'll be happy to know you called creavalle right too. Philly has him as a straight midfield anchor and he's killing it.

but we got Gomez in that deal, so if Jozy ever goes down we can call upon a trusty veteran. :facepalm: FACKKKKK!!!!!!!!

OgtheDim
05-25-2016, 03:56 PM
but we got Gomez in that deal, so if Jozy ever goes down we can call upon a trusty veteran. :facepalm: FACKKKKK!!!!!!!!

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2015/08/07/philadelphia-union-acquire-versatile-warren-creavalle-trade-toronto-fc

On Friday, the versatile defender/midfielder was acquired by the Philadelphia Union in exchange for a 2016 second-round draft pick in the 2016 SuperDraft.

That pick went to Vancouver for Beitashour.

So.....Creavalle for Beitashour.

portu
05-25-2016, 08:43 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2015/08/07/philadelphia-union-acquire-versatile-warren-creavalle-trade-toronto-fc

That pick went to Vancouver for Beitashour.

Bez strikes again

Detroit_TFC
05-25-2016, 09:21 PM
Owen Coyle fired by Houston tonight. Paging Jason Kreis, please pick up any courtesy phone for a immediate job offer.

ensco
05-25-2016, 10:13 PM

Not a good trade. Creavalle playing like a stud, equivalent to Bradley. Massive difference in cap hit.

jloome
05-25-2016, 10:17 PM
Not a good trade. Creavalle playing like a stud, equivalent to Bradley. Massive difference in cap hit.

I think between Aaron Maund and Warren Creavalle's play this season, it's safe to say perhaps we lack patience.

Hamilton_Red
05-25-2016, 11:52 PM

This...just compare the Scottish Cup final with two 2nd Division teams making the final to the English Cup final. The big money game was second best.

OgtheDim
05-26-2016, 06:12 AM
I think between Aaron Maund and Warren Creavalle's play this season, it's safe to say perhaps we lack patience.

IIRC, we got Creavalle when we needed midfield depth. Once we got midfield depth, Vanney tried to make him into a RB. We all remember that.

Creavalle was never going to get the chance to be a DM here.

NOW, as for his play this season, he's playing in a 4-2-3-1 as a right DM. So its not like he has to do all the passing out of the back or the defending of the back line on his own.

I'd say he's playing as good as Warner played last season but not as good as Johnson.

Fort York Redcoat
05-26-2016, 07:48 AM

IIRC, we got Creavalle when we needed midfield depth. Once we got midfield depth, Vanney tried to make him into a RB. We all remember that.

Creavalle was never going to get the chance to be a DM here.

NOW, as for his play this season, he's playing in a 4-2-3-1 as a right DM. So its not like he has to do all the passing out of the back or the defending of the back line on his own.

I'd say he's playing as good as Warner played last season but not as good as Johnson.

And the fact that Aaron Maund went down a league for a time, came back up to fill a spot and surprised everyone 2 games in a row.

burlington Red
06-02-2016, 10:12 AM
Owen Coyle fired by Houston tonight. Paging Jason Kreis, please pick up any courtesy phone for a immediate job offer.

Coyle just got the Blackburn job, looks like he was plotting his exit before it happened.

Detroit_TFC
06-02-2016, 11:25 AM
Coyle just got the Blackburn job, looks like he was plotting his exit before it happened.

Yes, looks like everyone gets to save face and walk away happy. Except, I imagine, Blackburn fans, if there are any still in existence.

Stress
06-02-2016, 11:37 AM
Browsing the Rangers rumours site and Fanedno Adi and Lee Nguyen are being thrown out as targets. Some goof also posted a Seba rumour but everyone else shot it down pretty quickly. Interesting to see MLS players creep up more and more in European rumours.

Areathrasher
06-02-2016, 11:39 AM
Adi has been linked to a string of teams recently.

Yohan
06-21-2016, 07:32 PM
David Edgar on trial with Caps

ag futbol
06-21-2016, 10:23 PM
David Edgar on trial with Caps
I don't understand why they need him. Parker and Watson are a good combo. Ka good enough as #3.

Yohan
06-21-2016, 10:42 PM
I don't understand why they need him. Parker and Watson are a good combo. Ka good enough as #3.
Waston has been more often a liability than not so far this season. Really weird considering how strong he was last season. Ka is on his last legs and he should be gone at the end of the season.
If the price is right, Edgar can fill multiple roles as CB, RB and DM. Always useful to have one of these guys. I can also see Edgar taking over RB which has been a problem spot for the Caps

Pint
06-21-2016, 11:23 PM
Edgar is one of the players I had hoped we would go after but it doesn't surprise me he is looking within the league.

Detroit_TFC
06-29-2016, 12:40 PM
Now Official - The Gilberto Era in MLS is Over.

Chicago announces termination of his contract by mutual agreement.

http://www.chicago-fire.com/post/2016/06/29/chicago-fire-soccer-club-and-gilberto-mutually-terminate-contract/?

Ivy
06-29-2016, 01:03 PM
Why don't we ever "mutually agree to terminate contract"?

OgtheDim
06-29-2016, 01:10 PM
Why don't we ever "mutually agree to terminate contract"?

Google says we have

http://www.sportingnews.com/soccer-news/1561014-geovanny-caicedo-toronto-fc-contract-terminated-adrian-cann-dicoy-williams (http://www.sportingnews.com/soccer-news/1561014-geovanny-caicedo-toronto-fc-contract-terminated-adrian-cann-dicoy-williams)

We also did that with Elmer.

Fort York Redcoat
06-29-2016, 01:17 PM
I think its more newsworthy if agreements are unmutual. g:D

Ivy
06-29-2016, 05:09 PM
Google says we have

http://www.sportingnews.com/soccer-news/1561014-geovanny-caicedo-toronto-fc-contract-terminated-adrian-cann-dicoy-williams (http://www.sportingnews.com/soccer-news/1561014-geovanny-caicedo-toronto-fc-contract-terminated-adrian-cann-dicoy-williams)

We also did that with Elmer.
I mean for significant contracts.
Im sure this Gila thing is mutual because he has another team interested. We had to waive him and eat a part of his salary, while Chicago manages to mutually terminate, and get cap space.

notthesun
06-29-2016, 05:31 PM
I mean for significant contracts.
Im sure this Gila thing is mutual because he has another team interested. We had to waive him and eat a part of his salary, while Chicago manages to mutually terminate, and get cap space.

Did we really have to take on part of his salary? I didn't think so. If the player is claimed on waivers I thought the team picking him up picks up the whole salary as well.

If you count nudging players towards retirement I guess you could say we managed to mutually terminate the contracts of Frings, Caldwell and Califf.

Ajax TFC
06-29-2016, 06:06 PM
Did we really have to take on part of his salary? I didn't think so. If the player is claimed on waivers I thought the team picking him up picks up the whole salary as well.

If you count nudging players towards retirement I guess you could say we managed to mutually terminate the contracts of Frings, Caldwell and Califf.

IIRC Frings was a buyout, though they announced it as him retiring or something like that. But I think O'Dea was mutual termination

ensco
06-30-2016, 08:15 PM
"Ibra to the Galaxy is 90% done"

https://twitter.com/ibra_official/status/748533508298129409

notthesun
07-06-2016, 11:44 AM
https://twitter.com/WhitecapsFC/status/750721078239039488

OgtheDim
07-06-2016, 11:55 AM
12 goals in 46 games. Not enough for what the Caps wanted.

Onyx
07-06-2016, 03:45 PM
12 goals in 46 games. Not enough for what the Caps wanted.

with most of that production coming in his first 10 games.
Good holdup #9 with solid work rate, just totally lost all confidence around the goal last 30+ games. Play in the CCL game here probably was the last straw for Robbo.

OgtheDim
07-06-2016, 08:32 PM
Heath out in Orlando. I thought he'd be gone by the end of last season. Not the best of tactician. Speculation turning to Dunga.

Yohan
07-06-2016, 08:44 PM
Heath out in Orlando. I thought he'd be gone by the end of last season. Not the best of tactician. Speculation turning to Dunga.
http://www.orlandocitysc.com/post/2016/07/06/orlando-city-sc-agrees-part-ways-head-coach-adrian-heath

Just couldn't get the best out of his squad. Probably didn't get fired because he's been with Orlando for so long (since 08). Mark Watson also sacked as assistant coach.

OgtheDim
07-07-2016, 06:12 AM
Interesting article by Orlando's former beat reporter - Orlando losing its strong initial local roots and alienating its fan base. Call them TFC 2.0

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/features/orlando-city-fires-adrian-heath-analysis?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_m_medium=t#comment_anchor

Areathrasher
07-07-2016, 07:59 AM
Dunga wouldn't surprise. No doubt it will be a Brazilian as replacement.

Pint
07-07-2016, 01:36 PM
Sounds like Lloyd Sam is going to DC

OgtheDim
07-07-2016, 01:39 PM
Sounds like Lloyd Sam is going to DC

Fits in with their style -all less fast then they used to be.

KGH
07-07-2016, 02:46 PM
Sounds like he's not very happy about it

Ivy
07-08-2016, 08:18 PM
@emaquix: BREAKING: Argentine FW Marcelo Larrondo (27) will sign with #IMFC | #MLS #CARC #Central https://t.co/9615At6Ltm
This is after they've signed Moncasu.

And TFC is going to sign Ricketts. Tsskkkkk....

Richard
07-08-2016, 08:36 PM
Seems to me they do alright with scouting Argentina.

Areathrasher
07-08-2016, 11:39 PM
There's been a bit of a run on South America by MLS teams in the last few days if reports are to be believed.

Along with the Impact going shopping down south....

Seattle have Nico Loidero from Boca lined up to sign once Boca are done with the Copa Lib. Sebastian Blanco from San Lorenzo is also apparently going to Seattle for next season when Valdez is no longer a DP. Multi million dollar transfer fees being paid for both players.

Atlanta have apparently lined up their first DP as they are linked with a $2m move for San Lorenzo forward/winger Hector Villalba. 21 years old.

Dallas are also apparently close to signing a forward from Brazil.

Racing Clubs Oscar Romero (who is amazing) has attracted an $8m bid from MLS according to the Argie press tonight.

Should be an interesting window. Pity TFC will be on the sidelines not able to do much :(

OgtheDim
07-09-2016, 06:43 AM
Impact are preparing for a Drogba exit. Finally bringing in younger forwards using some of the allocation they have built up.

notthesun
07-10-2016, 01:30 PM
Whitecaps expected to announce David Edgar and Marcel de Jong signings this week. Shame about Edgar, he would have been a nice replacement for Perquis as a ball-playing CB (that doesn't destroy our cap) but the timing just wasn't right.

mistercorporate
07-10-2016, 01:38 PM
We've got a good defensive roster, Whitecaps seem to be adapting a TFC model now, they haven't kept up with the improvements of the other teams in the league.

kodiakTFC
07-10-2016, 06:35 PM
Whitecaps expected to announce David Edgar and Marcel de Jong signings this week. Shame about Edgar, he would have been a nice replacement for Perquis as a ball-playing CB (that doesn't destroy our cap) but the timing just wasn't right.

I want to say this is a great play by the Whitecaps but I've seen way too many Canadians come home from Europe and be entirely underwhelming. I hope the both of them play well as it helps the CMNT but I have my concerns.

Pint
07-10-2016, 07:13 PM
De Jong was with Ottawa after a year (and a late release) by sporting KC.

Onyx
07-10-2016, 07:36 PM
We've got a good defensive roster, Whitecaps seem to be adapting a TFC model now, they haven't kept up with the improvements of the other teams in the league.

no, its the fact that Robbo has gone from super hot to ice cold in his primarily latin american scouting/recruiting model. went from hitting 4/5 to 2/5 and then 1/5 in the five guys he would bring in every year.

Onyx
07-10-2016, 07:43 PM
@emaquix: BREAKING: Argentine FW Marcelo Larrondo (27) will sign with #IMFC | #MLS #CARC #Central https://t.co/9615At6Ltm
This is after they've signed Moncasu.

And TFC is going to sign Ricketts. Tsskkkkk....

bez watching MLS live and CMNT games on TSN is our scouting system

molenshtain
07-10-2016, 07:52 PM
no, its the fact that Robbo has gone from super hot to ice cold in his primarily latin american scouting/recruiting model. went from hitting 4/5 to 2/5 and then 1/5 in the five guys he would bring in every year.

His tactics are still shit. He Built his entire team on Morales dropping deep and spraying outlet passes to fast wingers. That stopped working a year ago.

Fort York Redcoat
07-11-2016, 08:15 AM

De Jong was with Ottawa after a year (and a late release) by sporting KC.

Ah. So last min playing time at Ottawa but still this has got to be last chance for De Jong for a starter role in MLS. Hope he stays in it.

Pint
07-11-2016, 08:18 AM
It will be interesting if they see him as a LB or LW player... to me the guy has always played more like a winger than a back.

Fort York Redcoat
07-11-2016, 08:30 AM
It will be interesting if they see him as a LB or LW player... to me the guy has always played more like a winger than a back.

:yesnod:

I wish him luck except against us.

OgtheDim
07-11-2016, 08:34 AM
bez watching MLS live and CMNT games on TSN is our scouting system

:willy_nilly:

Most teams in this league have done no moves so far.

Yohan
07-11-2016, 09:59 AM
I think a lot of teams are waiting until Aug ish to let the European transfer window to settle and see which players are still available then. Cheaper at that point.

burlington Red
07-11-2016, 10:27 AM
a little off topic but Pelle has signed for a Chinese club as has Papiss Cisse.
I'd have thought Pelle would have interested some MLS clubs, maybe it's a money thing.

Pint
07-11-2016, 10:29 AM
Pelle is making something like $40 mil over the 2-3 year contract he signed... MLS can't compete with China right now in terms of $$$

ag futbol
07-11-2016, 11:13 AM
Impact are preparing for a Drogba exit. Finally bringing in younger forwards using some of the allocation they have built up.
Not that he's the "replacement" but I've been impressed with Michael Salazar. Reminds me of a more skillful Steven Lenhart.

Areathrasher
07-11-2016, 11:21 AM
So Rosario Central fans seem to think Larrondo will never play a game for Montreal. They think this is all a ruse so River Plate can get him on the cheap. He has a release clause of $1.5m for foreign teams only. RC fans seem to think that Impact have bought him - will loan him to River - who will then eventually buy him from the Impact -River sell the Impact a couple of players on the cheap.

Interesting theory, something to keep an eye on.

ag futbol
07-11-2016, 11:22 AM
His tactics are still shit. He Built his entire team on Morales dropping deep and spraying outlet passes to fast wingers. That stopped working a year ago.
They have struggled at times but in context they are very close to TFC right now in PPG and they finished pretty far up the table last year despite their usual playoff let downs.

They play predictable football and have been banging their head against the wall for years now looking for a reliable target man but it's not a disaster by any means. Robinson is a middle of the road coach but is well-liked in the locker room.

I'd say they're the definition of an average club for this league.

Yohan
07-11-2016, 11:32 AM
They have struggled at times but in context they are very close to TFC right now in PPG and they finished pretty far up the table last year despite their usual playoff let downs.

They play predictable football and have been banging their head against the wall for years now looking for a reliable target man but it's not a disaster by any means. Robinson is a middle of the road coach but is well-liked in the locker room.

I'd say they're the definition of an average club for this league.
Nobody could have predicted that Kendall Waston who was what, 2nd for Defender of the Year award became absolute garbage this season. Yes, the lack of scoring is a problem for Caps, but they had such a good foundation at CB that's gone to shit. (That, and still haven't solved RB problem, which Edgar might solve?)

OgtheDim
07-11-2016, 11:33 AM
Edgar signing confirmed - 18 month deal with an option

burlington Red
07-11-2016, 11:59 AM
Pelle is making something like $40 mil over the 2-3 year contract he signed... MLS can't compete with China right now in terms of $$$

Just seen his wages online, 16 million euro per season is what is being reported. That's crazy money, if I am right he is actually now one of the highest paid footballer in the world.

ag futbol
07-11-2016, 12:07 PM
Nobody could have predicted that Kendall Waston who was what, 2nd for Defender of the Year award became absolute garbage this season. Yes, the lack of scoring is a problem for Caps, but they had such a good foundation at CB that's gone to shit. (That, and still haven't solved RB problem, which Edgar might solve?)
I'd say they created their own RB problem - although maybe salary considerations forced their hand. Robinson reportedly wanted to keep beitashour but was overruled. Jordan Smith looked okay at first but then fell apart. Aird is a convert and looks shakey. In summary: neither is worthy of a starting role.

Watson has struggled but he has also been targeted by the officials. Not that I disagree with it but I think it's funny that Van Damme is getting away with much of the same while playing for LA.

Fort York Redcoat
07-11-2016, 12:38 PM
Edgar signing confirmed - 18 month deal with an option

Ontario talent goes West...

Onyx
07-11-2016, 02:27 PM

looks like backup LB, because their backup LB --- CMNT player Sam Adekugbe -- is going to Europe to get playing time according to their beat writer. Robbo likes offensive fullbacks with the formation they play. Edgar i assume will be 2nd or 3rd CB, depending if they move parker out to RB. Smith is playing better at RB. I think Seba ended the MLS career of the the scottish cdn kid they had at RB, effortlessly going around him time after time. I assume this is finally the end for Pa Modou Kah.

Fort York Redcoat
07-12-2016, 07:35 AM
looks like backup LB, because their backup LB --- CMNT player Sam Adekugbe -- is going to Europe to get playing time according to their beat writer. Robbo likes offensive fullbacks with the formation they play. Edgar i assume will be 2nd or 3rd CB, depending if they move parker out to RB. Smith is playing better at RB. I think Seba ended the MLS career of the the scottish cdn kid they had at RB, effortlessly going around him time after time. I assume this is finally the end for Pa Modou Kah.

Great summary!

also - Fraser Aird.

Onyx
07-12-2016, 01:26 PM
Great summary!

also - Fraser Aird.

yes, thats the guy.

PopePouri
07-12-2016, 02:04 PM
So Rosario Central fans seem to think Larrondo will never play a game for Montreal. They think this is all a ruse so River Plate can get him on the cheap. He has a release clause of $1.5m for foreign teams only. RC fans seem to think that Impact have bought him - will loan him to River - who will then eventually buy him from the Impact -River sell the Impact a couple of players on the cheap.

Interesting theory, something to keep an eye on.

Seriously Bez, Why aren't you doing THIS?

nonc
07-12-2016, 02:12 PM
Edgar is one of the few CANMNT players I have complete faith in good pickup for Caps. I bet Ronaldo's injury will accelerate his move to MLS.

nonc
07-12-2016, 02:14 PM
Seriously Bez, Why aren't you doing THIS?

Instead we get DP Altidore :facepalm:

OgtheDim
07-12-2016, 02:26 PM
SKC trades away a fullback not playing for a forward who once scored a decent goal in CCL but has done little since and seems to have been replaced by a second round draft pick.

Yes, its that sort of hard nosed transfer deals that are going on right now.

Pint
07-12-2016, 02:30 PM
SKC trades away a fullback not playing for a forward who once scored a decent goal in CCL but has done little since and seems to have been replaced by a second round draft pick.

Yes, its that sort of hard nosed transfer deals that are going on right now.

To be fair Porter has done little partially because he tore some thing or several things in his knee shortly after that goal.

OgtheDim
07-12-2016, 02:36 PM
Yeah, he had an ACL. I guess my point is people want big actions when most teams are trading to fill B team holes.

Yohan
07-15-2016, 02:21 PM
http://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/2016/07/15/whitecaps-fc-loan-adekugbe-english-club-brighton-hove-albion-fc

Caps loan Adekugbe to Brighton

Yohan
07-15-2016, 02:49 PM
mlssoccer.com has a transfer/rumours tracker

http://www.mlssoccer.com/transfer-window-tracker-2016

KidA
07-18-2016, 12:04 PM
Surprised they haven't listed the rumour of Benfica's interest in Cyle Larin

reggie
07-18-2016, 12:23 PM
lets hope LARIN goes to Benfica and Jozy goes home to Orlando,where he will score 25 goals a year and never get injured again:facepalm:

C.Ronaldo
07-19-2016, 09:01 AM
I would love to see Larin at Benfica, he would get great service if given the chance to start; where he can unleash that super quick shot

Detroit_TFC
07-20-2016, 09:34 AM
Patrick Mullins to DCU from NYCFC (for allocation and intl slot, so expect Vieira to sign someone soon), Fabian Saborio to Vancouver from DCU for allocation, per Goff at Wash Post.

OgtheDim
07-20-2016, 09:40 AM
Dang....Mullins would have been a good fit.

PopePouri
07-20-2016, 10:09 AM
Dang....Mullins would have been a good fit.

With limited roster spots, I don't think he's worth having 3 out-and-out no. 9s in an MLS squad. It's probably better to have 2 and then someone that can go up top if required. E.g. Oduro.

OgtheDim
07-20-2016, 10:12 AM
DCU got rid of Espindola to VCWC - that's good for both teams.

reggie
07-20-2016, 10:22 AM
and our guy is sleeping at the switch,wake up Bez,it would of been nice to get some help for this big home stand.

Ruffian
07-20-2016, 11:30 AM

There has been talk of a DP striker for Whitecaps coming after the season is over. Maybe Espindola's contract expires at the end of this year and this move covers them at striker until then.

Yohan
07-20-2016, 11:37 AM
and our guy is sleeping at the switch,wake up Bez,it would of been nice to get some help for this big home stand.

Espy is not the striker tfc needs

Ultra & Proud
07-20-2016, 11:41 AM
Not Espindola thankfully. I'd rather have Ricketts. Or nothing.

Fort York Redcoat
07-20-2016, 11:49 AM

What's the "C"'s for? It's not the first time I've seen this but I don't think of VanCouver or the WhiteCaps when I read it.

Just an aside. I'm all for this move this week thank you very much. :)

OgtheDim
07-20-2016, 11:54 AM
I seem to remember VCWC being used in the 80's but a quick google tells me far too much about the Austrian Country and Western scene. :)

reggie
07-20-2016, 11:56 AM
Espy is not the striker tfc needs
i want nothing to do with Espy,i was talking what is Bez is doing in general.it would be nice to get some help during this big home stand.

OgtheDim
07-22-2016, 01:47 PM
Montreal trades a midfielder to Houston for something. Impact seem to be clearing the way to bring an import midfielder.

Areathrasher
07-22-2016, 01:48 PM
Berandello is going back to the Impact apparently

OgtheDim
07-23-2016, 10:50 AM
Lots of reports out of Dallas that its Castillo to Trabzonspor - feels its time to go apparently.

Onyx
07-23-2016, 10:18 PM
There has been talk of a DP striker for Whitecaps coming after the season is over. Maybe Espindola's contract expires at the end of this year and this move covers them at striker until then.

via Ives Galarcep @SoccerByIves (https://twitter.com/SoccerByIves)
Rumours that Espindola doesn't want to report and may be flipped to MX

Areathrasher
07-24-2016, 05:10 PM
https://twitter.com/impactmontreal/status/757331756798345216

OgtheDim
07-25-2016, 12:22 PM
Rumouer Olympiakos makes a bid for Dwyer of SKC. If that happens, its either Dwyer wants out or SKC is retooling.

Canary10
07-25-2016, 12:29 PM
Anyone know what the deal with Espindola is? Did Vancouver make another stupid trade or did they know he was never coming?

Areathrasher
07-25-2016, 12:53 PM
Anyone know what the deal with Espindola is? Did Vancouver make another stupid trade or did they know he was never coming?
Apparently he's got 4 months left on his deal and doesn't want to move his family to vancouver for 4 months. This all came up post trade.

Canary10
07-25-2016, 12:58 PM
Apparently he's got 4 months left on his deal and doesn't want to move his family to vancouver for 4 months. This all came up post trade.

So a bad trade...

Canary10
07-25-2016, 03:03 PM
Looks like the Whitecaps will have to find a resolution to Espindola through the league office, probably through some kind of breach of contract. So they apparently traded for a head ache. If TFC had done this, it would have been ridiculed throughout the league.

portu
07-25-2016, 03:57 PM
Looks like the Whitecaps will have to find a resolution to Espindola through the league office, probably through some kind of breach of contract. So they apparently traded for a head ache. If TFC had done this, it would have been ridiculed throughout the league.
Jason de Vos would be screaming it from the rooftops

Pint
07-26-2016, 02:15 PM
Looks like Lodiero has landed in Seattle and Alvaro Fernandez many not be far behind

OgtheDim
07-26-2016, 08:52 PM
And Espindola off to Mexico. Team and player saying it was as an offer once he had gotten to Vancouver.

ensco
07-27-2016, 07:08 AM
Ibra now clearly signalling a future move to MLS. Mentions Beckham/Miami specifically.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/11/transfer-zone/2016/07/26/25962012/ibrahimovic-i-turned-down-beckham-for-mourinho-man-utd

Yohan
07-27-2016, 12:06 PM
Nicholas Lodeiro to Seattle official

http://www.soundersfc.com/post/2016/07/27/seattle-sounders-sign-uruguayan-international-nicolas-lodeiro-multi-year-designated

C.Ronaldo
07-27-2016, 01:27 PM
Ibra now clearly signalling a future move to MLS. Mentions Beckham/Miami specifically.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/11/transfer-zone/2016/07/26/25962012/ibrahimovic-i-turned-down-beckham-for-mourinho-man-utd

so one year at man U?
I wonder why, just to say he did it?

molenshtain
07-27-2016, 01:31 PM
so one year at man U?
I wonder why, just to say he did it?

wouldn't put it past him. In the past he's made a big deal about the fact that he's won the title in all four leagues he's played in. I would imagine he's going to United to add a fifth to his collection, then go to Miami or wherever to finally cash in and live in the states.

OgtheDim
07-27-2016, 01:52 PM
Can you imagine Ibra the first time he's away in Columbus and asked what he thinks of a ref decision?

notthesun
07-27-2016, 06:40 PM
https://twitter.com/nikmartineautva/status/758426804487061504

Venegas on the move from Montreal, multiple clubs interested, including one from MLS.

Areathrasher
07-29-2016, 05:32 PM
https://twitter.com/PaulTenorio/status/759152932403249152

OgtheDim
07-29-2016, 05:33 PM
Chicago unofficially giving up on the season.

I would say that this guy with Sam will make for a very quick front 2 for that team.

notthesun
07-30-2016, 09:48 PM
Giles Barnes to the Whitecaps for general allocation money and negotiation rights with Costa Rican defender Keynor Brown. Houston also gets a cut of any future transfer fee if Barnes leaves MLS.

The Whitecaps have made some odd personnel decisions this season in my opinion. Barnes is making 750k (somehow not a DP though) and hasn't really been that good since 2014. This looks like a bit of a band-aid to see out the season after shipping off Rivero instead of part of the long-term plan.

Yohan
07-30-2016, 09:49 PM
Giles Barnes to Caps in exchange for GAM

Areathrasher
07-30-2016, 09:55 PM
Wow. Thats an interesting one. At 750k heès likely being paid down by TAM, wonder if they'll keep him in the offseason.

Also, the trade market seems to be pretty active. Interesting. Wonder if TFC end up being active this week.

Ivy
07-31-2016, 12:16 AM
Came in here to say that I like Garnes, always rated the player... But for 750k?? God damn no thanks.

Onyx
07-31-2016, 12:24 AM
Giles Barnes to Caps in exchange for GAM

good pick up for caps if healthy. i guess houston is in chicago mode.

OgtheDim
07-31-2016, 09:10 AM
That's a good trade for us - we play Houston in a few weeks at their place.

Onyx
07-31-2016, 06:59 PM
whitecaps look brutal today ... looks like its coming off the rails for Robbo

Yohan
08-01-2016, 06:25 PM
http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36947336

Portland signs former Newcastle defender Steven Taylor

OgtheDim
08-02-2016, 06:12 AM
Bedoya to the Union is the new rumour - Union beat reporter (Kinkead) spent most of the evening on twitter wondering why they needed another attacking mid when their need is striker. Allocation order has Philly #2 so something has to go to the Fire for this to happen.

https://twitter.com/thegoalkeeper/status/760431877987663872

Detroit_TFC
08-02-2016, 09:28 AM
I wonder if Earnie Stewart being sporting director at Philly might be appealing to Bedoya.

Areathrasher
08-02-2016, 09:59 AM
He just had a kid and his family launched a coffee company in Florida. I'd wager he just wants to be closer to home.

Detroit_TFC
08-02-2016, 11:00 AM
This Fabian Castillo transfer saga is just crazy. Trabzonspor making public announcements. Late night negotiations at MLS World Headquarters on Fifth Ave. Castillo may or may not be back in Dallas. Trab fans brandishing knives and other kitchen implements on Twitter.

Canary10
08-02-2016, 11:06 AM
This Fabian Castillo transfer saga is just crazy. Trabzonspor making public announcements. Late night negotiations at MLS World Headquarters on Fifth Ave. Castillo may or may not be back in Dallas. Trab fans brandishing knives and other kitchen implements on Twitter.

Sort of reminds me of the Joey Plata situation at TFC a few years ago. So glad other teams are having these things happen now and not us. That alone is a managerial improvement.

Detroit_TFC
08-02-2016, 11:10 AM
Sort of reminds me of the Joey Plata situation at TFC a few years ago. So glad other teams are having these things happen now and not us. That alone is a managerial improvement.

True that. Amusing to observe these kind of shenanigans, less fun to be part of it.

Yohan
08-02-2016, 11:13 AM
http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2016/08/01/fabian-castillo-fc-dallas-trabzonspor-transfer-saga

OgtheDim
08-02-2016, 11:33 AM

More like Camilo Sanvezzo. Unauthorized trip to Turkey?!?!?! :shocked:

Areathrasher
08-03-2016, 10:19 AM
Steven Goff ‏@SoccerInsider 2m2 minutes ago View translation
New York Red Bulls sign Austrian MF Daniel Royer from Midtjylland in Denmark

Nantes have also confirmed Bedoya to the Union

OgtheDim
08-03-2016, 10:40 AM
If this is true, Philly overpaid

https://twitter.com/JeffreyCarlisle/status/760859703190650880

ag futbol
08-03-2016, 10:42 AM
Wow, this is an interesting story re: Castillo. Can't blame the league for wanting their money up front.

If we're lucky it will reveal more about inner workings of MLS contracts. Alexi Lalas making noise about MLSPU under reporting his salary for several years.

Areathrasher
08-03-2016, 10:48 AM
Wow, this is an interesting story re: Castillo. Can't blame the league for wanting their money up front.

If we're lucky it will reveal more about inner workings of MLS contracts. Alexi Lalas making noise about MLSPU under reporting his salary for several years.

The absolute non answer the head of the players union gave in response was :picard:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CoymiH8WAAEAIyu.jpg

Fort York Redcoat
08-03-2016, 10:51 AM
Love that you're trying to wade through the mire and cut through the peanut butter that is MLS deals but can't say I'm surprised at the subterfuge. It's how we compete as a league with the redonk numbers abroad.

notthesun
08-03-2016, 10:54 AM
The absolute non answer the head of the players union gave in response was :picard:

Seriously, I saw that yesterday and read it about 5 times and I'm still not sure what I'm supposed to have learned.

ag futbol
08-03-2016, 11:03 AM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CoymiH8WAAEAIyu.jpg
And he's not even telling the truth. If I go look at salaries for numerous DP's around the league I'll see figures that are well beyond the budget charge.

One day teams are going to wake up and wonder why they have rooms full of league office lackies who do nothing but create red tape.

OgtheDim
08-03-2016, 11:05 AM
I find it hard to believe that Dallas doesn't know EXACTLY how much its paying somebody. Whether the league or the union know is another matter, but teams know darn well what is going on.

Areathrasher
08-03-2016, 11:12 AM
Seriously, I saw that yesterday and read it about 5 times and I'm still not sure what I'm supposed to have learned.

Me too.

I mean Merritt Paulson continuously bangs the drum that they are nowhere near accurate. I get that an owner would say that for image purposes but Paulson doesn't strike me as the type, he's a straight shooter.

ag futbol
08-03-2016, 11:13 AM
I find it hard to believe that Dallas doesn't know EXACTLY how much its paying somebody. Whether the league or the union know is another matter, but teams know darn well what is going on.
I'm sure FCD knows exactly what the number is and so does the league.

Just expressing that the further MLS moves towards competing for talent and away from pinching pennies the less value doing everything in an opaque manner adds.

Detroit_TFC
08-03-2016, 11:20 AM
Looks like the Bedoya move to Philly is done. Had to give Chicago a grab bag of goodies (TAM, GAM, 1st rd pick, and Philly's #2 spot in the allocation list-putting Chicago back at the top of the list!) to complete the deal.

Canary10
08-03-2016, 11:20 AM
Bedoya signed with Philadelphia. In perfect MLS style, Philadelphia gave up GAM, TAM, discovery rights, a first round draft pick and their spot on the allocation order to Chicago to get him. Is there any other non-money thing they could have given up?

ed: Ha Detroit. Beat me to it.

Ivy
08-04-2016, 03:07 AM
Bedoya signed with Philadelphia. In perfect MLS style, Philadelphia gave up GAM, TAM, discovery rights, a first round draft pick and their spot on the allocation order to Chicago to get him. Is there any other non-money thing they could have given up?

ed: Ha Detroit. Beat me to it.
If a football fan anywhere in the world other than MLS read about that trade, their head would immediately explode.

Detroit_TFC
08-04-2016, 07:57 AM
Canary - we're all out there looking for the breaking news! :)

I often wonder how much longer the owner-investors in the league are going to accept the increasingly complex roster mechanisms. Obviously, Bob Kraft is not going to send out an email tomorrow saying "hey, lets change the structure of the salary cap!" But at some point (in conjunction with a CBA I'm sure), some group of owners are going to want to press the reset button and open more roster control to the various teams. All except a couple teams are spending over $1M on DPs and as we know well some over $10M, time has come for a high absolute cap with a luxury tax. GarberBux(TM) are fun and gives teams something to trade but it's an anchor around the ankles of the teams. /rant

Areathrasher
08-04-2016, 08:20 AM
Charlie Davies to the Union

OgtheDim
08-04-2016, 08:25 AM
Philly wins the mid season

notthesun
08-04-2016, 05:15 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/08/04/armchair-analyst-running-rule-transfer-window-all-mls-teams

Matt Doyle goes over every team's transfer window.

OgtheDim
08-05-2016, 01:14 PM
So somebody wanted MacMath out of Colorado and the Rapids nixed the deal at the last minute.

Interesting point McMath makes about the limits of what he can learn from Howard.

MacMath said he has paid attention to Howard's professional approach to the game -- but the technical aspects are another matter.
"We’re two different kind of goalkeepers,” MacMath said. “He’s very athletic and he’s a lot quicker than I am. And I have to use my positioning more.”

I think he goes to NYCFC.

notthesun
08-10-2016, 04:20 PM
https://twitter.com/SJEarthquakes/status/763476429577261056

TFC Tifoso
08-31-2016, 11:43 AM
Nigel de Jong leaves Galaxy for move to Galatasaray.....2 yr. contract.....

molenshtain
08-31-2016, 11:46 AM
Nigel de Jong leaves Galaxy for move to Galatasaray.....2 yr. contract.....

Great deal for the Galaxy. Was there a transfer fee involved or did they just come to a mutual termination?

TFC Tifoso
08-31-2016, 11:49 AM
Great deal for the Galaxy. Was there a transfer fee involved or did they just come to a mutual termination?

not sure.....just read it in passing on ESPN FC while looking for any last minute deals Juve was making.....

Pint
08-31-2016, 11:54 AM
Looks like a free transfer, wants to get back in the Dutch squad so joining WS in Turkey is a good move. Wouldn't be surprised if the galaxy also wanted out of the deal.

OgtheDim
08-31-2016, 11:55 AM

Mutual termination.

The back story is if he played a certain amount of games for LAG, he was guaranteed a DP salary for the next 2 seasons. LAG did not want to hamstring themselves for that what with Gerrard retiring at the end of this season and Keane possibly playing somewhere else.

molenshtain
08-31-2016, 12:00 PM
Mutual termination.

The back story is if he played a certain amount of games for LAG, he was guaranteed a DP salary for the next 2 seasons. LAG did not want to hamstring themselves for that what with Gerrard retiring at the end of this season and Keane possibly playing somewhere else.

Yeah, I now the backstory on why they did it. It's a smart move. It's not like he's been noticeably better than larentowicz this year. Or any better at all actually. With Keane and Gerrard retiring this season and LAFC coming in the season after I feel like the Galaxy are about to have a very big off-season. Not to sure anymore that Arena is planning on retiring too either. He's got too much young talent and cap space to work with going into next season. good for the league at least. I aways enjoy a good Galaxy team as a distant observer.

burlington Red
10-25-2016, 01:19 PM
not a transfer but thought it worth noting, reported in todays sun newpaper in UK

It's not just players who look at a move to the United States to prolong their careers. Former Premier League referee Howard Webb is to be interviewed for the role of head of Major League Soccer's officials. (The Sun)

anto7
10-25-2016, 01:27 PM
not a transfer but thought it worth noting, reported in todays sun newpaper in UK

It's not just players who look at a move to the United States to prolong their careers. Former Premier League referee Howard Webb is to be interviewed for the role of head of Major League Soccer's officials. (The Sun)

I think that would be a very good signing

Oldtimer
10-25-2016, 01:38 PM

We could sure use a DP ref.

That and retiring Baldomero toledo.

Voodooman
10-25-2016, 01:41 PM
We could sure use a DP ref.

That and retiring Baldomero toledo.

Just going to quote this just in case of the results of tomorrow's match.

OgtheDim
10-25-2016, 04:20 PM
For reasons that I think people could figure out, any source beyond the UK Sun?

Do not expect me to take anything in that rag with anything more then utter contempt.

Oldtimer
11-16-2016, 03:57 PM
Biggest transfer in DCU history.

DC United finalize permanent transfer of Luciano Acosta from Boca Juniors
http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/11/16/dc-united-finalize-permanent-transfer-luciano-acosta-boca-juniors?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=News&utm_campaign=Unpaid

TFC Tifoso
11-25-2016, 01:13 PM
according to ESPN FC, LA Galaxy, and both NY teams are looking to make a move for Juve's Sami Khedira in the offseason.....

burlington Red
11-25-2016, 02:38 PM
bit off topic but have never heard this one before. Wilfred Bony who is a Man city player on a season long loan at Stoke has a clause in his contract allowing him to leave in Jan if a Chinese super league team wants to buy him. I wonder if players will now start to add mls to that type of clause or possibly already have.
http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/38104149

Canary10
11-25-2016, 03:49 PM
bit off topic but have never heard this one before. Wilfred Bony who is a Man city player on a season long loan at Stoke has a clause in his contract allowing him to leave in Jan if a Chinese super league team wants to buy him. I wonder if players will now start to add mls to that type of clause or possibly already have.
http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/38104149

Bony would probably be excellent in MLS. I wouldn't mind seeing that. Wonder why they specify China?

OgtheDim
11-25-2016, 08:00 PM
Agent knows where the money is.

OgtheDim
11-26-2016, 05:05 PM
Two things today

Kaka calling it quits after 2017

Keane not to Vancouver.

Onyx
11-26-2016, 05:42 PM
Two things today

Kaka calling it quits after 2017

Keane not to Vancouver.

don't know why keane to vancouver was a rumour. He complains about the pitch their every year and got hurt there last game IIRC.
judging from southsiders forum their ownership has been eating loses year after year, and won't spend (... although BL and Robbo state the opposite publicly)

OgtheDim
11-27-2016, 08:20 AM
Howard Webb in the running to be the guy at the command centre telling refs something wasn't done right.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/11/26/howard-webb-among-candidates-var-position-pro-referee-organization

OgtheDim
11-27-2016, 08:21 PM
Well that didn't take long

https://twitter.com/Jermainejunior/status/803040650304180225

Hamilton_Red
11-27-2016, 08:25 PM
Anyone else worried that LA Galaxy might go for Vanney?

red-o
11-27-2016, 08:58 PM
Yep - doesn't he have another year on contract though?

molenshtain
11-27-2016, 09:04 PM

Not really. Sounds like they're almost 100% likely to go with one of Arena's assistants. Either Onalfo or Venegas.

OgtheDim
11-27-2016, 09:43 PM
LAG is going through transition and anybody who follows Arena is going to be under a lot of scrutiny. If Vanney is likely to go somewhere in the future, its either because he's fired or he moves to the USMNT. He's being talked about as an option after 2022.