PDA

View Full Version : MLS to Detroit a soon to be reality

DinamoTFC
04-27-2016, 01:41 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/04/26/nba-owners-tom-gores-dan-gilbert-partner-bring-mls-team-detroit

Stadium Renderings
https://twitter.com/OpportunityDET/status/725382697372274689

https://twitter.com/OpportunityDET/status/725385974646226946

This will be our closest road trip!

Fort York Redcoat
04-27-2016, 02:06 PM
Will they share with High School Gridiron or Lacrosse, though?

JayMolly
04-27-2016, 02:21 PM
We would be pleased to see a team in Detroit.
Availability and of course the price for a Leaf ticket is repulsive.
So we go to see the Leafs play in Detroit whenever we can.
Note: at the Red Wing home opener this season, they gave out a clear bag.
It would be nice if TFC also did this May 7 considering the new security policy.

james
04-27-2016, 02:45 PM
well cool if Detroit got a team....only 3 hours away, would be great for an away trip. The city also needs some major development, bring the city back into its glory it once was, but it has a long way to go. Friend of mine was there recently for a Red Wings game on a Saturday, he said the city downtown was like a ghost town in the afternoon, most things were closed and little traffic, with hardly any pedestrians. He said it was earie, not until later on closer to game time did life start appearing in the city.

I wouldn't get to excited yet, Miami has had renderings for years....even DC United who has had a team since back in 1996 and I believe they were sending renderings of a new stadium since about 2006. But if they do get a stadium close to the rendering drawings then im sure it will look nice, even better with 5k TFC fans in it!!!!!!:scarf:

Redcoe15
04-27-2016, 06:16 PM
I was in Detroit in 2011 to watch the Canada-U.S. match at Ford Field. The surrounding area can be very lively when there's a sporting event going on, whether it's the Lions at Ford or the Tigers at Comerica Park next door. Throw in the upcoming Red Wings new arena in that area, and that environment can only get better.

Now add a soccer specific stadium there, where enthusiastic soccer fans attending an MLS match, an international friendly with visiting European clubs, and the U.S. national teams matches go, and you've got something going there most of the year.

Nothing would make me happier than to see Detroit land an MLS team downtown. Road trips would be quick and easy and a lot of fun.

ManUtd4ever
04-27-2016, 06:18 PM
Instant rivalry. Very happy to hear this news.

Detroit_TFC
04-27-2016, 07:20 PM
As events developed today, it became clear that the primary motivation behind this revolves around real estate and not necessarily soccer. Dan Gilbert (who owns a large portion of downtown Detroit) appears to be using the team bid and stadium deal to leverage gaining control of a 18 acre parcel near the sports stadiums downtown. Currently it is the site of a stalled county jail and courthouse project, a development Gilbert is strongly opposed to. The Fail Jail as it is known in Detroit, has been a huge scandal, county officials and contractors have been indicted, millions of dollars in overrun costs have been incurred, a complete disaster. The county want to restart and finish the project, Gilbert wants to put a $1B multi-use development including a MLS stadium.

I'd say it more resembles the Miami situation than anything else. I went from thinking this is a done deal to thinking this may or may not happen. There are other sites near downtown where the stadium could go, but both Garber and Gilbert said clearly the jail site is what makes this bid work. Stay tuned.

ManUtd4ever
04-27-2016, 07:27 PM
One would think that an entertainment complex in the heart of the downtown core would be far more beneficial to the local economy than a new courthouse and county jail. I hope the Gilbert bid goes through.

Detroit_TFC
04-27-2016, 08:24 PM
One would think that an entertainment complex in the heart of the downtown core would be far more beneficial to the local economy than a new courthouse and county jail. I hope the Gilbert bid goes through.

I agree it's not a good use. It's one thing to have a jail complex downtown because it's always been there, but to intentionally put a new one in when there are much more productive uses of the area doesn't make sense. To be fair, the demand for property downtown is much greater now than when the jail project was launched in 2011. The big problem is the alternative site for the jail complex is not very feasible either and will cost more than the original project.

Wagner
04-27-2016, 08:46 PM
I love Detroit.
Great City.

They know how to do up their sports.

Eastern Market Tailgate is great.
The sports bars are awesome.
Parking downtown is easy and reasonably priced. (i parked 1 block from the lions for $20 for a good covered spot.)

I'm happy to hopefully see them in the MLS fold.

DetroitTFC, when TFC plays @ Detroit...I've got your first drink at the Detroit City Distillery.

james
04-27-2016, 09:44 PM
As events developed today, it became clear that the primary motivation behind this revolves around real estate and not necessarily soccer. Dan Gilbert (who owns a large portion of downtown Detroit) appears to be using the team bid and stadium deal to leverage gaining control of a 18 acre parcel near the sports stadiums downtown. Currently it is the site of a stalled county jail and courthouse project, a development Gilbert is strongly opposed to. The Fail Jail as it is known in Detroit, has been a huge scandal, county officials and contractors have been indicted, millions of dollars in overrun costs have been incurred, a complete disaster. The county want to restart and finish the project, Gilbert wants to put a $1B multi-use development including a MLS stadium.

I'd say it more resembles the Miami situation than anything else. I went from thinking this is a done deal to thinking this may or may not happen. There are other sites near downtown where the stadium could go, but both Garber and Gilbert said clearly the jail site is what makes this bid work. Stay tuned.

A city can not base its core around sports. However a new stadium, with a mix of new residential and commercial space in the neighbourhood can help benefit all, so I can see why they also need to develop the area besides just a soccer stadium in Detroit. They have lots of space in Detroit that badly needs development. Even Liberty Villiage in Toronto has developed at BMO field, the development of Condo's and commercial space was not built because of BMO field, but the area did need to be developed as it was valuable space near the core of the city and the industrial buildings were just mostly empty. Now the area is busy with shops, bars, restaurants, condos and a stadium. Now the stadium does bring some extra money, and create more jobs into the neighbourhood on game days (Parking, Bars, Restaurants, stadium employees exc.).

DinamoTFC
04-27-2016, 11:06 PM

thanks for the info. Hope they are farther along than we think. Gilbert is known for owning lots of downtown detroit and definitely wants to redevelop- it really sounds like he's going for a rennaisance of detroit. Of course there are other motivations but that's okay.

Anyways you're gonna have a nice dilemma when tfc come to play detroit! Haha

Detroit_TFC
04-28-2016, 08:56 AM
A city can not base its core around sports. However a new stadium, with a mix of new residential and commercial space in the neighbourhood can help benefit all, so I can see why they also need to develop the area besides just a soccer stadium in Detroit. They have lots of space in Detroit that badly needs development. Even Liberty Villiage in Toronto has developed at BMO field, the development of Condo's and commercial space was not built because of BMO field, but the area did need to be developed as it was valuable space near the core of the city and the industrial buildings were just mostly empty. Now the area is busy with shops, bars, restaurants, condos and a stadium. Now the stadium does bring some extra money, and create more jobs into the neighbourhood on game days (Parking, Bars, Restaurants, stadium employees exc.).

The jail site is a good site for a stadium, IMO, due to the proximity of the other stadiums and the infrastructure that's build up around them. The other sites I've seen suggested are not as good; workable, but not as good. It's clear now that there are a lot of bigwigs who are going to be fighting over this and the dollars involved are enormous. May take some time to resolve.

Detroit_TFC
04-28-2016, 09:01 AM
thanks for the info. Hope they are farther along than we think. Gilbert is known for owning lots of downtown detroit and definitely wants to redevelop- it really sounds like he's going for a rennaisance of detroit. Of course there are other motivations but that's okay.

Anyways you're gonna have a nice dilemma when tfc come to play detroit! Haha

Gilbert played the long odds on downtown Detroit development and he's winning big. Can't fault him for that.

As for the team, I doubt either Gilbert or Gores have ever even been to a pro soccer game. The kind of organization they build will depend on who they bring in to do it. I'm deeply skeptical. Plus it's years away. For me personally, nothing is different today than it was from before.

zeelaw
04-28-2016, 09:21 AM
Gilbert played the long odds on downtown Detroit development and he's winning big. Can't fault him for that.

As for the team, I doubt either Gilbert or Gores have ever even been to a pro soccer game. The kind of organization they build will depend on who they bring in to do it. I'm deeply skeptical. Plus it's years away. For me personally, nothing is different today than it was from before.

Do you think Detroit jumped up to the front of the queue for expansion? I thought it was all pretty premature but then yesterday MLS's website was featuring the renderings!?

Pint
04-28-2016, 09:27 AM
A nice short Road trip in a place where I have family? Yes please

Although I do feel for the Northern Guard and what they have done with Detroit City FC

Detroit_TFC
04-28-2016, 09:43 AM
Do you think Detroit jumped up to the front of the queue for expansion? I thought it was all pretty premature but then yesterday MLS's website was featuring the renderings!?

No, per Garber, 2020 at earliest. Atlanta, Minnesota, LA2, Miami (maybe, who the fuck knows what goes on there) over next couple years, then Detroit, Sacramento, San Antonio, St Louis, at least at this point. Hard to say what comes up between now and then.

Detroit_TFC
04-28-2016, 09:45 AM
A nice short Road trip in a place where I have family? Yes please

Although I do feel for the Northern Guard and what they have done with Detroit City FC

This morning's tidbit. Someone forgot to buy the mls2detroit.com and mlsxdetroit.com website names. Now Northern Guard owns them, and now they point to detcityfc.com.

zeelaw
04-28-2016, 10:00 AM
No, per Garber, 2020 at earliest. Atlanta, Minnesota, LA2, Miami (maybe, who the fuck knows what goes on there) over next couple years, then Detroit, Sacramento, San Antonio, St Louis, at least at this point. Hard to say what comes up between now and then.
Has MLS ever featured a stadium rendering of Atlanta or Minnesota before? I think it's a pretty big sign. It's so strange that they would feature it without serious commitment?

Pint
04-28-2016, 10:06 AM
This morning's tidbit. Someone forgot to buy the mls2detroit.com and mlsxdetroit.com website names. Now Northern Guard owns them, and now they point to detcityfc.com.

Thats pretty awesome, good for them.

Detroit_TFC
04-28-2016, 11:04 AM
Has MLS ever featured a stadium rendering of Atlanta or Minnesota before? I think it's a pretty big sign. It's so strange that they would feature it without serious commitment?

Well, that is certainly the message they want to convey, probably more to local politicians than to MLS.

kodiakTFC
04-28-2016, 11:04 AM
It'd be great but I'll believe it when I see. Although, that ownership certainly has deep pockets. Assuming MLS 28 includes Sacramento, St. Louis, Detroit and San Antonio... man.. so long balanced schedule dreams!

Redcoe15
04-28-2016, 06:23 PM
Detroit and St. Louis, I'd be so happy with. :thumbsup: g:D

Nice to see the love here for an MLS team in the Motor City. Would love to see another rival for TFC that we could all go down to see in just one day.

OgtheDim
04-28-2016, 10:21 PM
Based on what I'm reading from locals, paint me skeptical of this getting done, and even more skeptical of them doing anything right as far as working with local football supporters.

This has all the earmarks of "build it and they will come" nonsense.

And those building renderings are fantasy land - its the soccer equivalent of this book cover
http://media2.s-nbcnews.com/j/TODAY/Sections/Today%20Books/Books%20stories/RomanceNovels/fabio.grid-3x2.jpg

I'd like to see a team in Detroit but I'd much rather see one that actually works with the locals.

habstfc
04-28-2016, 10:40 PM
Detroit would be a horrible idea. I was just there a month ago for a wings game. Horrible city.

flatpicker
04-29-2016, 07:53 AM
Detroit would be a horrible idea. I was just there a month ago for a wings game. Horrible city.

hmmm... I quite like Detroit.
Thought it had a good buzz about it last time I was there.

Fort York Redcoat
04-29-2016, 08:36 AM

I had a great road trip for the Canada game years ago. I didn't get to experience anything past Ford field and surrounding pubs but I didn't need any more.

If they were to get their MLS team I'd prolly hit this guy up ;):

Looks their already a bunch of footy fans having fun in the city. That's cool.

ManUtd4ever
04-29-2016, 08:39 AM

The downtown core is in bad shape, but it is undergoing a massive transformation. The suburbs are much nicer, and there is ample support for a MLS franchise.

Detroit_TFC
04-29-2016, 09:56 AM
Based on what I'm reading from locals, paint me skeptical of this getting done, and even more skeptical of them doing anything right as far as working with local football supporters.

This has all the earmarks of "build it and they will come" nonsense.

And those building renderings are fantasy land - its the soccer equivalent of this book cover
http://media2.s-nbcnews.com/j/TODAY/Sections/Today%20Books/Books%20stories/RomanceNovels/fabio.grid-3x2.jpg

I'd like to see a team in Detroit but I'd much rather see one that actually works with the locals.

I agree with pretty much all of that. I rolled my eyes when I saw the Rossetti Associates drawings, first thing I thought was "great, another DCU style oversell."

Pint
04-29-2016, 10:12 AM
I've always had fun in the DET area... well except for dropping my sister in laws cousin back to Detriot Mercy University, thats the Ghetto.

Usually spend more of my time in the burbs like Rochester hills since I have family in that area.

OgtheDim
04-29-2016, 01:11 PM
Another perspective

http://ussoccerplayers.com/2016/04/detroit-is-about-more-than-mls.html?platform=hootsuite

james
05-01-2016, 11:18 PM
I had a great road trip for the Canada game years ago. I didn't get to experience anything past Ford field and surrounding pubs but I didn't need any more.

If they were to get their MLS team I'd prolly hit this guy up ;):

Looks their already a bunch of footy fans having fun in the city. That's cool.

Detroit is a small city..you really only have to drive minutes from Ford Field and the Downtown core to find some run down, burnt out houses, streets with only half or less of the houses still remaining from what once was a street filled with houses side by side all the way up it back in the 60's. It is tiny compared to a city like Toronto or Montreal, however there is some nice bars and some night life with 3 stadiums in the downtown core and a 4th stadium (Detroit MLS)would help boost it even a little more. The city has a hell of a long way to go to come back to what the population once was ( population once was near 2 million...today it is more like 600,000) so those that say Detroit is all of a sudden a great, lively, busy, regentified city...well its done some minor improvements and has a long way to go still. Most of the population in Detroit is actually in the suburbs, it is a spread out metro population with nice houses and neighbourhoods, but its not so much like city living, but its got some nice restaurants and bars and everything in the burbs with some downtown as well. The future for Detroit is its cheap rent and huge available land to develop that could hopefully see a serge of new opportunities and new major corporations perhaps set-up in Detroit, to be honest im rather surprised more major businesses haven't tried Detroit considering how expensive it can be for property in places like NYC, Boston, San Francisco or Los Angeles.