PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Cooper heading to Cardiff City

Razcle
07-27-2008, 08:32 AM
"City have had a £2m bid for the FC Dallas striker accepted by Major League Soccer, which owns all the players in the USA, and are in negotiations over personal terms with the player. The 23-year-old played alongside David Beckham, the former Manchester United and Real Madrid superstar, for the MLS All Stars in their 3-2 victory over West Ham in Toronto, earlier this week."

After watching Cooper play in the ASG, I was hopeing we could pry him out of FC Dallas. He is big and strong and could play a similar role to Dichio once the big man retires.

Nuvinho
07-27-2008, 08:34 AM
Dallas needs a striker........go Cunny go!!!

profit89
07-27-2008, 09:23 AM
Who is Cooperman?

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballnation/football-news/2008/07/27/cardiff-city-are-hoping-that-cooperman-will-come-to-their-rescue-after-a-series-of-blows-in-the-summer-transfer-market-writes-terry-phillips-91466-21412698/

Yohan
07-27-2008, 09:25 AM
Dallas can't be pleased right now... Other than Cooper, who else is scoring goals for them?

zeelaw
07-27-2008, 09:44 AM
good deal, I love watching cooper

ExiledRed
07-27-2008, 11:20 AM
Dallas can't be pleased right now... Other than Cooper, who else is scoring goals for them?

This is an issue I have with the league.

If a team develops a player like that, and then MLS sells him for 2 million pounds, which is about two MLS squads wages for a year, then Dallas should get at least a $1 million dollar player out of that and not some crap allocation and a pick or something.

tfcleeds
07-27-2008, 11:28 AM
Yet another player heading to Europe. Good for the league in that we are getting a reputation for producing talent, and good for TFC in that we won't have to face him!

Dub Narcotic
07-27-2008, 11:32 AM
"City have had a £2m bid for the FC Dallas striker accepted by Major League Soccer, which owns all the players in the USA, and are in negotiations over personal terms with the player. The 23-year-old played alongside David Beckham, the former Manchester United and Real Madrid superstar, for the MLS All Stars in their 3-2 victory over West Ham in Toronto, earlier this week."

After watching Cooper play in the ASG, I was hopeing we could pry him out of FC Dallas. He is big and strong and could play a similar role to Dichio once the big man retires.

I think this is a disaster for the Dallas organization. They are selling Cooper and Toja right before their playoff push, which is going to destroy their chances. This kind of thing alienates fans and kills franchises.

Smenge
07-27-2008, 11:33 AM
I could understand this move if he was going to a better team, but Cardiff? Please. He is a mercenary.

tfcleeds
07-27-2008, 11:34 AM
Cardiff are genuine promotion candidates, why wouldn't he want to go there? Also, it IS a bigger club, and he will be getting a crapload more moolah. Of course, knowing that $#%! Ridsdale, he probably offered him some ridiculous contract that Cooper couldn't refuse...

ExiledRed
07-27-2008, 11:44 AM
Cardiff are genuine promotion candidates, why wouldn't he want to go there? Also, it IS a bigger club, and he will be getting a crapload more moolah. Of course, knowing that $#%! Ridsdale, he probably offered him some ridiculous contract that Cooper couldn't refuse...

No reason he shouldnt go there, but why should MLS get the $4.5 million and Dallas gets the shaft? When realistically in any other league, dallas would take that money and buy two or three good players with it.

ExiledRed
07-27-2008, 11:45 AM
What happens when a top team snaps up Ibbe for $5 million?

What do we get out of that?

Wooster_TFC
07-27-2008, 11:46 AM
This is an issue I have with the league.

If a team develops a player like that, and then MLS sells him for 2 million pounds, which is about two MLS squads wages for a year, then Dallas should get at least a $1 million dollar player out of that and not some crap allocation and a pick or something.

Do you know how this works?

From my understanding, an allocation is granted (50% of the transfer I think?) in order for the team to sign new players (in this case, Dallas). The other amount (50%) is held in trust by the league to be used for player development etc, generally speaking to help the team that traded the player in the first place.

The reason for these rules is so that a team's ownership that hasn't been necessarily paying the players salary (shared salaries and income, remember?) doesn't benefit from selling the player.

Razcle
07-27-2008, 11:48 AM
If this is going to be more of a common place for our league for the next while...We need to invest more heavily in scouting and youth development, because in order to keep the league competative, we need to have good alternative options for when these situations arise. One nice thing is the youth in Dallas will get a shot at the big time and if they have done proper development, it will just be a hiccup before Coopers shoes are filled. I am sure the Holland and German leagues go through this all the time where they find and develop good talent and then sell to bigger clubs all while having a contingency of new talent waiting to take hold.

ExiledRed
07-27-2008, 11:54 AM
Do you know how this works?.

no , which is why im asking questions.

From my understanding, an allocation is granted (50% of the transfer I think?) in order for the team to sign new players (in this case, Dallas). .

That would give them roughly two and a half million to play with, now would that be for paying transfer fees, or for allocations or both?

Smenge
07-27-2008, 01:16 PM
For MLS to keep its best players, the salary cap will have to go. In order to accomplish this, teams that regularly draw less than 12,000 to their games would have to double the gate receipts. A better tv deal would be needed.....for many 'sports fans', gambling has become a big part of the experience, so MLS games would also have to attract some interest there......I think most of us agree, that the above issues will take a generation, if not longer, to achieve....in the meantime, the best young players leave for middle of the road league championship teams, or teams in the Hungarian league...what a load of crap.

arbogast
07-27-2008, 03:24 PM
I could understand this move if he was going to a better team, but Cardiff? Please. He is a mercenary.

hmmmm. 2008 FA Cup Finalists.
I'd take a Championship club like Cardiff over MLS any day. More $$$ and he'll get waaaay more exposure to bigger clubs there than here.

brad
07-27-2008, 04:12 PM
Yet another player heading to Europe. Good for the league in that we are getting a reputation for producing talent, and good for TFC in that we won't have to face him!

I have a feeling that credit will go to Manchester United for producing him, not the MLS.

Smenge
07-27-2008, 09:33 PM
I think I am going to learn German, or Spanish, so that I can read threads about how great their second tier leagues are, and how much better every player in their league is better than mls...ugh...if mls didn't have the stupid salary cap, cooper would have no reason to leave....it is all about money, and nothing else.

werewolf
07-27-2008, 09:50 PM
I credit Tyrone Marshall with his development.

Rudi
07-27-2008, 09:52 PM
From my understanding, an allocation is granted (50% of the transfer I think?) in order for the team to sign new players (in this case, Dallas). The other amount (50%) is held in trust by the league to be used for player development etc, generally speaking to help the team that traded the player in the first place.
The ratio is actually 2/3rds to the team and 1/3rd to the league.

The team can then use a certain amount of that (I believe it is $500K max per year) as pure allocation money towards the acquisition of other players or putting existing players under the cap (through pay raises and that sort of stuff).

Oblio2
07-27-2008, 09:56 PM
Who is Cooperman?

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballnation/football-news/2008/07/27/cardiff-city-are-hoping-that-cooperman-will-come-to-their-rescue-after-a-series-of-blows-in-the-summer-transfer-market-writes-terry-phillips-91466-21412698/

Classic Brit Comedian(He was Welsh). Tommy Cooper.
Did a skit called "Cooperman".
Died on stage

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Cooper

Keegan
07-27-2008, 09:59 PM
What happens when a top team snaps up Ibbe for $5 million?

What do we get out of that?

Exiled that would be GOOD. Don't you understand? If we sold Ibbe for $5 mill then MLSE would keep it all and not put it back into the club. If we get allocations they are FORCED to make us better. Get it?

ag futbol
07-27-2008, 10:28 PM
^ I don't think it is that striaght forward under MLS's crazy rules.

First half the profits go to the league and the other part goes to the team. Of that amount a certain portion must be reinvested in the team. That reinvestment does not have to be allocation money, it can be on anything. That isn't to say the league is going to grant you a ton of allocation money from your transfer. It's up to their discretion depending on what kind of player you lost. They give you more if it's a frachise player / big name.

BigLou
07-27-2008, 10:30 PM
I credit Tyrone Marshall with his development.
Zing!!!!

Wooster_TFC
07-28-2008, 08:44 AM
The ratio is actually 2/3rds to the team and 1/3rd to the league.

The team can then use a certain amount of that (I believe it is $500K max per year) as pure allocation money towards the acquisition of other players or putting existing players under the cap (through pay raises and that sort of stuff).

There you go. I couldn't remember the actual % but you've just reminded me. 2/3rds go to team, 1/3rd to league (for the player dev etc stuff). 1/2 of the 2/3rds can be used for transfer fees, and the other half can be used for allocation (up to 500k is right I believe). Then, whatever is left HAS to be used to develop the talent, can't just go to line the owners pocket (this is the part held in trust or what not).

So, in this case:

FCD gets 666,666 pounds (convert to american however you will - for the sake of argument say 1 mil).
The entire 1 mil could be used on a transfer fee.
Up to 500k can be used on allocation.
Rest to player development.

James17930
07-28-2008, 08:46 AM
If this was true, though, kind of odd that he would have played against L.A. Unless it was like a swan thing type thing.

Wooster_TFC
07-28-2008, 08:48 AM
If this was true, though, kind of odd that he would have played against L.A. Unless it was like a swan thing type thing.

Altidore was available for every game for NYRB until the transfer was official, it just so happened he was hurt.

Money transfers are a little trickier than the MLS trades and essentially can be canceled at any point in time by either side, and then also the player.

noochie
07-28-2008, 10:25 AM
One from the archives that explains how this is crappy for the team involved:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=503146&root=mls&&cc=5901