PDA

View Full Version : Security crackdown

Red4ever
04-19-2016, 05:18 PM
http://www.fcdallas.com/post/2016/04/19/major-league-soccer-introduces-elevated-security-standard-across-all-20-venues

Well then...

NEW YORK, NY (April 19, 2016) – Major League Soccer today announced elevated security standards that will be applied across all MLS stadiums to ensure a safe environment for soccer fans. Beginning this Saturday, April 24, a new minimum standard Bag Policy and guest screening measures will be instituted in all 20 MLS venues bringing MLS events in line with security measures taken by the other professional sports leagues in North America.

These security standards will apply to all MLS, SUM, and USL games played at MLS venues, including but not limited to MLS League and Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup games, friendly matches, and fan events.

Fans are encouraged to check venue-specific policies as the below are baseline security standards for MLS events. Individual venues may have additional restrictions on bags and other items entering the stadium.

“Public safety is a top priority and the enhanced security measures will ensure that fans are able to continue to enjoy MLS and SUM events in a safe environment,” said MLS president and Deputy Commissioner Mark Abbott.

“The safety of our fans, players and staff is paramount,” said Ray Whitworth, Senior VP of Security and Operations. “The updated security measures bring us in line with professional sports leagues around the United States and Canada while maintaining the unique sports experience that is MLS.”

Under the new security policy, all guests will be fully screened upon entry into MLS venues. The screenings will be conducted via a full pat down or with the use of a search wand of magnetometers. Each venue will decide which procedures and protocols will be used to provide this acceptable level of security while ensuring a quality experience for all guests.

Under the new league-wide Bag Policy, fans are prohibited from bring the following into a stadium**:

Large purses
Coolers
Briefcases
Backpacks
Luggage of any kind
Computer bags
Camera bags
Any bag larger than 14’’x14’’x6’’
In addition, all bags will be subject to search upon entry. The bag restriction will not apply to credentialed media, who will continue to enter MLS stadiums through designated entrances and adhere to all posted media bag policies and screenings.

**Special considerations will be made for guests with special medical needs and parents caring for infants.

The increased security policy was unanimously supported by the MLS Board of Governors and involved input from all 20 MLS clubs.

molenshtain
04-19-2016, 05:38 PM
A full pat down? Yeah, no. They can go fuck themselves. If there were repeated incidents of people stabbing each other inside MLS stadiums with knives they concealed upon entry, then sure whatever, I'd understand. But nothing precipitated this action.

why the hell are they doing this?

flamehawk
04-19-2016, 05:41 PM
.... and if someone was to bring a backpack, would they be asked to leave? Would we be allowed to check them in?

And full pat downs??? These are the reasons I hate going through borders .. and now we're seeing it at soccer games.. ridiculous.

eustacchio
04-19-2016, 05:43 PM
You know, I've always been surprised that there was no pat down - not that I want one.

Oldtimer
04-19-2016, 05:48 PM
Consider that in some states it's legal to carry concealed weapons. That could be one of the reasons.

flatpicker
04-19-2016, 05:59 PM
What about my murse????!!!!

ensco
04-19-2016, 06:06 PM
It's not an MLS story. There was a major terrorist attack at a soccer game in Paris, and the Boston Marathon ... It's not business as usual anymore, for anyone, sadly.

Pint
04-19-2016, 06:10 PM
Tuesday 5pm 7+ weeks into the season seams like a perfectly reasonable time to introduce a new policy.

Let's taking something that has been of 0 concern and change it to make it harder for people to bring what they need to our events. MLS logic

Red4ever
04-19-2016, 06:24 PM
Shitty, but I saw this coming.

A few bad apples.

Detroit_TFC
04-19-2016, 06:33 PM
I figured MLS would adopt higher security eventually. NFL security rules are even tighter than these. No bags except for a dinky clear bag. Security turnaways got to be such a hassle at Ford Field, the Lions eventually brought in a trailer for people to drop off bags outside the stadium.

eustacchio
04-19-2016, 06:34 PM
You have to go through a full metal detector at MLB games.

Bluenose13
04-19-2016, 06:34 PM
It's the same procedure as going to NHL, NBA, NFL and MLB games. This was inevitable and a good call by MLS...dangerous times we now live in.

ryan
04-19-2016, 07:04 PM
Concessions grab under the guise of security. Ho hum.

Auzzy
04-19-2016, 07:15 PM
Raging pile of bullshit.

Auzzy
04-19-2016, 07:31 PM
Here's the league-wide post with the same content (rather than the FC Dallas post):

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/04/19/mls-updates-security-measures-all-20-stadiums

Auzzy
04-19-2016, 08:05 PM
The MLS policy is tighter than MLB for example, even though MLB stadiums are much larger & have a much higher profile (i.e., more likely target). Here are the rules for MLB & Rogers Centre:

http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/tor/fan_forum/ground_rules.jsp

They allow small soft-sided backpacks for example, whereas MLS completely banned backpacks. Bullshit.

And the size restriction is less strict for MLB. 16x16x8" is a more realistic size for a small bag or small backpack. Think about going to games in cold or bad weather, very common at BMO Field, especially with kids (older than infants). Or coming via bike. Maybe this works better at US stadiums in the boonies where everybody drives & can leave their bags in the trunk.

MLB also doesn't seem to have any general restriction against small soft-sided computer bags, at least there's nothing mentioned on that web page. Crucial for people going to weeknight games after work.

As I said, bullshit & overreaction.

PS I guess I'll strap a plastic bag to my bike with bungie cords, and then walk into the stadium wearing 5 layers and a TFC blanket draped over my shoulders when it's cold. Which is much harder for security screening than having some things in a backpack.

Miko
04-19-2016, 08:33 PM
Still not as stringent as some stadiums in the US. Most NFL stadiums now have a clear bag only policy no bigger than 12x12. Michigan Stadium is no bags at all and any women's purses have to fit through a piece of plastic so small it's barely bigger than a wallet.

As as for pat downs or wanting - the Bell Centre and Rogers both have airport style metal detectors.

Auzzy
04-19-2016, 08:57 PM
Still not as stringent as some stadiums in the US. Most NFL stadiums now have a clear bag only policy no bigger than 12x12. Michigan Stadium is no bags at all and any women's purses have to fit through a piece of plastic so small it's barely bigger than a wallet.

As as for pat downs or wanting - the Bell Centre and Rogers both have airport style metal detectors.

So what, much bigger NFL stadiums & Michigan have tighter policies, why do we need to model much smaller & lower-profile MLS stadiums after those? The US is generally over-paranoid anyway, yet fails to mitigate the biggest risks that its citizens face. (I'm American BTW.) I'm fine with metal detectors, and/or special slower lines for screening bags, like at Rogers Centre. No backpack & no laptop bag policy for MLS is bullshit.

james
04-19-2016, 09:14 PM
to be honest I didn't know we were aloud any of these objects in the first place:
Coolers
Briefcases
Luggage of any kind
Computer bags
Camera bags

the only one I thought we were aloud was purses and ,maybe backpacks, I really didn't see people bringing the other objects into the stadium anyways.

Also they use to do a lot of patting down in the early days of TFC in the supporter section entrance gates including checking flags (still checked my flag last year every game) for any hidden objects in them. Also has anyone been to the Sky Dome in the last few years? Last game I went (Maybe 2 years ago) they were checking and patting down everyone!!!

Is this really much of a change for majority of people? To me this doesn't sound like new news.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-19-2016, 09:25 PM
to be honest I didn't know we were aloud any of these objects in the first place:
Coolers
Briefcases
Luggage of any kind
Computer bags
Camera bags

the only one I thought we were aloud was purses and ,maybe backpacks, I really didn't see people bringing the other objects into the stadium anyways.

Also they use to do a lot of patting down in the early days of TFC in the supporter section entrance gates including checking flags for any hidden objects in them. Also has anyone been to the Sky Dome in the last few years? Last game I went they were checking and patting down everyone!!!

Is this really much of a change for majority of people? To me this doesn't sound like new news.

sorta where my head is at

Auzzy
04-19-2016, 09:27 PM
Lots of people bring backpacks, briefcases and laptop bags into the stadium, also larger bags especially when it's bad weather, and/or bringing kids to the game. That has all been allowed. I can see that more of a size restriction, or only soft-sided bags, is necessary compared with the past, but no need to be tighter than Rogers Centre for example.

james
04-19-2016, 09:36 PM
Lots of people bring backpacks, briefcases and laptop bags into the stadium, also larger bags especially when it's bad weather, and/or bringing kids to the game. That has all been allowed. I can see that more of a size restriction, or only soft-sided bags, is necessary compared with the past, but no need to be tighter than Rogers Centre for example.

briefcases and laptop bags? where are these people? in some box office? maybe there has been some, ive never seen it. Purses, yes, backpacks I have seen some. Otheres I just haven't seen anyone in 112 with those objects or in line or just anyone outside of the stadium.

Auzzy
04-19-2016, 09:38 PM
briefcases and laptop bags? where are these people? in some box office? maybe there has been some, ive never seen it. Purses, yes, backpacks I have seen some. Otheres I just haven't seen anyone in 112 with those objects or in line or just anyone outside of the stadium.

All over the place, especially for weeknight games. Section 112 is not a "typical" section at BMO Field.

Suds
04-19-2016, 09:39 PM
Bring a napsack instead of a backpack ... semantics :-P

and who has been wheeling in their cooler?!?!

james
04-19-2016, 09:43 PM
Bring a napsack instead of a backpack ... semantics :-P

and who has been wheeling in their cooler?!?!

that's what I mean, they were aloud this whole time??? come on....that was never aloud!!

james
04-19-2016, 09:47 PM
All over the place, especially for weeknight games. Section 112 is not a "typical" section at BMO Field.

I personally don't believe it considering I have been going forever at BMO field and don't see people bringing there briefcases and laptops to drink at Shoeless joes, The Craft or Brasenhead and then lugging it to the stadium and then lugging back through the tunnel to get the GO train. Im sure your not lieing that some people have brought some iteams, but I think its actually very few people bringing any objects other then purses and small bags.

james
04-19-2016, 09:53 PM
whos bringing luggage to the stadium?? anyone come straight from Pearson to the stadium with luggage in tow other then Giovinco last year??

Auzzy
04-19-2016, 09:56 PM
Many of those things have never been allowed at BMO Field. No need to focus on the ridiculous things to distract from the real issues.

No laptops, and especially no backpacks (even small backpacks) will be a problem. Again, why do we need to be more restrictive in smaller, much lower-profile MLS stadiums, compared with MLB?

OgtheDim
04-19-2016, 09:58 PM
Hmm... going to need more pockets.

I brought a man bag with my scarf/phone charger/gear for probable weather changes. Will have to figure out how to take all that on the TTC.

I agree with the sentiment that this is designed around those who take a car to wherever they go.

My one question is why this weekend?

Red4ever
04-19-2016, 10:04 PM

I've taken a laptop bag to literally every midweek game in 112 after coming from work.

It's a pain in the ass.

Auzzy
04-19-2016, 10:21 PM
I personally don't have a problem with the no-laptop-bag policy, I can work around it. But I know or have heard from multiple people for whom that's a huge problem for weeknight games -- including my seatmate.

Not being allowed a 16x16x8 backpack (what's allowed at Rogers Centre) is what will be a big problem for me.

james
04-19-2016, 10:23 PM
I've taken a laptop bag to literally every midweek game in 112 after coming from work.

It's a pain in the ass.

well point is most of our games are weekends not weekdays....and how many others were bringing laptop bags? I said Im sure there was some, but overall id imagine few actually did that. This issue is rather small to majority of the stadium. Tho the no back pack could be a bit more of an issue .

james
04-19-2016, 10:31 PM
.... and if someone was to bring a backpack, would they be asked to leave? Would we be allowed to check them in?

And full pat downs??? These are the reasons I hate going through borders .. and now we're seeing it at soccer games.. ridiculous.

I have been full patted down many games at TFC, more so between 2007-2009 then anything, (they were patting loads of people down from what I remember back then) but it is nothing new. Montreal away game last year we were patted down. I remember in 2006 Celtic vs AS Roma at Sky Dome...they were patting thousands of people down. Blue Jays game I went to 2 years ago they patted everybody!! Go to concerts and sometime night clubs or even just a busy bar on friday night, nothing new really. Suprised you haven't been patted down at BMO field yet. Most likely tho they will do very little patting down, if they do it will mostly just be in the South End entrances and most likely be the odd person or on a random blitz game where they pat everybody down at Gate 3 but not even bother patting down else where. It won't be a big issue is my guess.

OgtheDim
04-19-2016, 10:37 PM
well point is most of our games are weekends not weekdays....and how many others were bringing laptop bags? .....

Do you remember the games last year in the rain? Did you notice how many people tried to bring in umbrellas? People don't read the fine print in their tickets. This is going to be an issue.

Somebody should ask MLSE if they are going to run a baggage check still.

james
04-19-2016, 10:49 PM
Do you remember the games last year in the rain? Did you notice how many people tried to bring in umbrellas? People don't read the fine print in their tickets. This is going to be an issue.

I remember the rain, and I have noticed people bringing umbrellas, I was surprised people thought they were a loud....Ive never noticed umbrellas at soccer stadiums before (except in South America where they use umbrellas as more of a Ultra Tifo display, and Portland Timbers for the same reason) Those things can poke an eye out. Don't people notice fans usually wearing ponchos across MLS or even in Baseball and Football games...its not because they love ponchos, its because umbrellas often are not a loud.

eustacchio
04-19-2016, 11:03 PM

People trying to bring in umbrellas sort of piss me off.

Yeah, sure, you can open that. I'm sure the person behind you won't mind so obviously you won't mind that the person in front of you opens one as well.

deltox
04-20-2016, 06:18 AM
This is a problem. A game for me is an all day event. It's literally 7 or 8 hours. I brig a back pack every single game. It holds drinks for the journey, camera, extra battery for crap but also rain coats (just in case) and a blanket sometimes. You see, I bring my wife. I might have been a bit of a crazy 10 years ago. But now I'm fucking old. I come to enjoy the game. Not pound back beers and go mental. Yes. I even sit sometimes (oh the humanity). Oh. And on weekdays I come straight from work. Yes. I bring my work bag with my laptop.

So what's gonna happen now?

OgtheDim
04-20-2016, 06:28 AM
This is the sort of question somebody should be asking Manning. The journos are just saying "Well other leagues..."

The question is not "How can we stop this."

The question is "What do we do if we used to do x?" And, no, not bringing it isn't so easy.

MightyDM
04-20-2016, 06:51 AM
This does nothing to make us safe from terrorists whatsoever, and the risk of that anyway is extremely low, virtually zero. It does seriously inconvenience people, particularly in cold and wet weather when you might need extra clothes. Maybe it is needed in the US with the nutty gun laws, but here it's too broad and a real inconvenience. If they said no coolers or large bags, and you MAY be subject to a search, fine. It is overreaching but they can because judging from the thread most are compliant. One of the things I like about BMO is the lack of offensive security. Last time I went to the Jays the guy told me the security was necessary to keep the guns out. Hahahahahaha. Yea, right, there have been lots of incidents of guns at sporting events in Canada.

the real problem is that the owners are afraid of not looking like they are doing something AND it's in their economic interest for us to come naked, except for our wallet, and buy everything we need.

Carter
04-20-2016, 07:06 AM
This does nothing to make us safe from terrorists whatsoever, and the risk of that anyway is extremely low, virtually zero. It does seriously inconvenience people, particularly in cold and wet weather when you might need extra clothes. Maybe it is needed in the US with the nutty gun laws, but here it's too broad and a real inconvenience. If they said no coolers or large bags, and you MAY be subject to a search, fine. It is overreaching but they can because judging from the thread most are compliant. One of the things I like about BMO is the lack of offensive security. Last time I went to the Jays the guy told me the security was necessary to keep the guns out. Hahahahahaha. Yea, right, there have been lots of incidents of guns at sporting events in Canada.

the real problem is that the owners are afraid of not looking like they are doing something AND it's in their economic interest for us to come naked, except for our wallet, and buy everything we need.
PARIS—At least one of the attackers outside France’s national soccer stadium had a ticket to the game and attempted to enter the 80,000-person venue, according to a Stade de France security guard who was on duty and French police.
The guard—who asked to be identified only by his first name, Zouheir—said the attacker was discovered wearing an explosives vest when he was frisked at the entrance to the stadium about 15 minutes into the game. France was playing an exhibition against Germany inside.

Oh, 1 civilian was killed during the attack..... although there were 80,000 people inside, that was thwarted because they were frisked at the door...

Pint
04-20-2016, 07:14 AM
One more step in what has increasingly felt like MLS vs its' supporters

TFC07
04-20-2016, 07:20 AM
Unfortunately we live in crazy world so I understand why MLS is stepping up security. Sure it will be an inconvenience to some people going to games now, but it's better to be safe than sorry though.

Fort York Redcoat
04-20-2016, 07:45 AM
Tuesday 5pm 7+ weeks into the season seams like a perfectly reasonable time to introduce a new policy.

Let's taking something that has been of 0 concern and change it to make it harder for people to bring what they need to our events. MLS logic

I now point to this as proof that the incident in DC could've been avoided with an action exactly like this notice. MLS has the tools.

As to this new policy they need to find a solution for those bringing some of these necessary items to some people. I assume the checked items girls and boys are going to have a hell of a turnaround with the amount of complaints coming their way.

Pint
04-20-2016, 07:57 AM
I now point to this as proof that the incident in DC could've been avoided with an action exactly like this notice. MLS has the tools.

As to this new policy they need to find a solution for those bringing some of these necessary items to some people. I assume the checked items girls and boys are going to have a hell of a turnaround with the amount of complaints coming their way.

Has the tools for what? to arbitrarily institute policies mid season without asking for input from anyone? I known that can't be what you're advocating for

Fort York Redcoat
04-20-2016, 08:01 AM
Has the tools for what? to arbitrarily institute policies mid season without asking for input from anyone? I known that can't be what you're advocating for

I mentioned it to damn them. They just proved that they could institute policy change and spread the word immediately.

If anything I'm stating that this and any rules they were unsure supporters would be aware of could've been communicated with a great reach PRE-SEASON and Pre-incident.

I realize we all suspected as much but this makes it obvious to all.

I am not advocating for this rule change.

Carter
04-20-2016, 08:19 AM
I mentioned it to damn them. They just proved that they could institute policy change and spread the word immediately.

If anything I'm stating that this and any rules they were unsure supporters would be aware of could've been communicated with a great reach PRE-SEASON and Pre-incident.

I realize we all suspected as much but this makes it obvious to all.

I am not advocating for this rule change.

As I agree with you Pete, what you are looking at currently, is a series of incidents which have accumulated to a breaking point, in which they have made a decision...

It's probably a safe assumption, that all teams were part of the greater discussion in which lead to this announcement. Yes its dumb that it comes 7 weeks into the season, but sometimes the wheels of business churn slowly.

I am sure this decision wasn't discussed at a Tuesday morning board meeting and released that afternoon....

Phil
04-20-2016, 08:24 AM
This has been communicated and instituted at various other clubs pre first game. The fact that its now being mandated to all clubs is curious but not unexpected.

Phil
04-20-2016, 08:27 AM
This will be rough at the beginning and certain games for sure. Security as it stands can't even properly get admittance into the stadium correct with wide open guidelines. I shudder to think of how the people working the gate will butcher this until they sanitize all supporter items out of the stadium.

C.Ronaldo
04-20-2016, 08:28 AM
can I check my small back pack though? I usually pack rain gear and a blanket for those colder games plus 4/5 toys for the toddler

Parkdale
04-20-2016, 08:29 AM
I really dont see this as a 'league vs supporters' issue. It's becoming the norm at major sports, music and entertainment events all over the world.

I've seen walk-through metal detectors AND wands being used at minor league hockey games in stadiums with 5,000 seats, and try getting into a concert with a large bag these days. This is going to be a huge inconvenience for the fan who doesn't know the new rules are in place, but I don't think it's aimed at us (and supporters). Unless TFC is planning on doing away with the supporter's entrance, where drums, flags etc are expected, then I can't see us being too inconvenienced

Parkdale
04-20-2016, 08:31 AM
I shudder to think of how the people working the gate will butcher this until they sanitize all supporter items out of the stadium.

I always had a private laugh when I'd walk up to the gate and someone new would ask to check my bag - then they'd see the air raid siren.

"Oh, that? Yeah it's cool. Don't worry about that"

Joe Kool
04-20-2016, 08:43 AM
Well I am ok for extra security measures within reason but the backpack thing is going to be a pain for me like it will be for alot of people. I have been bringing one to every game since 2007. I don't mind if they search the hell out of it if that is what it takes. They say special consideration for parents traveling with small children but I still travel with my 12 and 14 year old kids who I still carry stuff for even though they are not small. And my wife who has a medical condition and has her medications and other needs so maybe she can have a bag due to her illness but who is to say we don't get an ignorant security staff person at the gate that is not going to go by that part of the rule? What happens if I take the GO that day which I have been doing more lately? It is not like we can turn around and put anything in the car that is not allowed in and I won't be throwing out any bags so I would have to go back home. Everything my family brings to a game cannot fit into a tiny bag or our pockets. If they make it difficult enough for me I just won't renew my 4 seats again.

Pint
04-20-2016, 09:02 AM
If they want to do a pat down on me, go ahead. If they want to search my bag, again go ahead but I have no way of bringing everything that is needed for a typical game day without having a backpack.

MLS: "we are a great unique sporting experience unlike anything you will get in Canada/America expect when its convenient for us making new rules, then we are just like everyone else"

eustacchio
04-20-2016, 09:22 AM
Supporters have always had to enter a different gate when bringing things like flags and banners and whatever else into BMO. Does that change?

Joe Kool
04-20-2016, 09:24 AM
Funny enough MLSE just called me about another issue with my account so I asked her. She says nothing has been communicated to them about any new changes yet although she said the rule that prohibits a backpack or large bags has always been in effect and they were able to enforce that if needed depending on the situation. She told me a bag like a sackpack with the drawstrings is still ok as far as they are concerned at this time. I am thinking maybe they just didn't communicate the new changes to them yet. Will wait and see. I told her TFC absolutely NEED to tell their fans if anything changes for us. Not holding my breath though. We always have a security crack down a bit for the first few games then they lighten up. I expect the same this year.

Primavera
04-20-2016, 09:29 AM
... She told me a bag like a sackpack with the drawstrings is still ok as far as they are concerned at this time. ...

Seems to me that a TFC cinch bag would make a great Home Opener giveaway.

JayMolly
04-20-2016, 09:30 AM
If they want to do a pat down on me, go ahead. If they want to search my bag, again go ahead but I have no way of bringing everything that is needed for a typical game day without having a backpack.

^
We agree.
With matches played in the evenings and during the fall season, we bring clothing to keep us warm or dry as required.
It sounds like our TFC SportChek backpacks will not be allowed either?
Will MLS or MLSE provide us with a 'new clear bag' as suggested?

Fort York Redcoat
04-20-2016, 10:03 AM
Supporters have always had to enter a different gate when bringing things like flags and banners and whatever else into BMO. Does that change?

We'll be bringing it up with the club.

Red4ever
04-20-2016, 10:23 AM
It would also be great if TFC posted a few photos of new prohobitted items as to better communicate with other fans.

They are going to need media. Someone at the club should be lining up a fluff news story for May 6.

I worry just as much about being in stuck in line behind people who dont know whats up for 30 mins as I do having to cram my coat in a sobeys bag.

I dont think this is fan crackdown. It's one thing to say you cant come in with it, its another to say actually penalize people for bringing it in.

OgtheDim
04-20-2016, 10:35 AM
https://twitter.com/MarkFishkin/status/722805634845028352

fergiejr
04-20-2016, 12:39 PM
I would think that the bootbag that they have given away outside the stadium would be okay. My wife and I used to bring a canvas bag to the spring and fall games with a blanket in it along with spare ponchos and sharpies. Sounds like I'll have to wear the blanket from now on. From time to time I would bring my camera and camera bag into the stadium - that's an obvious no-go now.

and apparently I'm not allowed to bring my cooler in anymore either g:D

ExiledRed
04-20-2016, 12:49 PM
Is this going to be like a TSA situation, where you cant get into the stadium unless you let some random dude grope your children?

Justin10000
04-20-2016, 12:51 PM
I normally carry a large shoulder bag. I checked the dimensions and it's exactly the size limit. And it's pretty big, IMO.

ManUtd4ever
04-20-2016, 12:58 PM
It's not an MLS story. There was a major terrorist attack at a soccer game in Paris, and the Boston Marathon ... It's not business as usual anymore, for anyone, sadly.

This.

I take my kids to games as do many of you, so I am more than happy to put up with this inconvenience to ensure that the premises are safe.

Red CB Toronto
04-20-2016, 01:04 PM
I guess they really want to make sure you are not bringing in one of these.

http://i.imgur.com/3QoPmUS.jpg

Parkdale
04-20-2016, 01:53 PM
^ with an arch like that, you could fire it from the parking lot, on the other side of security.

Have then banned streamers yet? :cool:

OgtheDim
04-20-2016, 02:45 PM

Saw them at the Houston game last week so maybe not.

Onyx
04-20-2016, 03:09 PM
Saw them at the Houston game last week so maybe not.

lots at RSL game last week ... in a wind storm ... all over field at start

Red CB Toronto
04-20-2016, 03:41 PM
^ with an arch like that, you could fire it from the parking lot, on the other side of security.

That is exactly what I saw at Turf Moor in match between Burnley and the Spurs. Heard a whistling noise and it landed at the front of the 18 yard box. Someone shot it from outside and over the roof.

nfitz
04-20-2016, 06:31 PM
I take my kids to games as do many of you, so I am more than happy to put up with this inconvenience to ensure that the premises are safe.I too bring kids to games.

But this isn't going to make it any safer.

Don't perpetuate terrorism by surrendering to it.

nfitz
04-20-2016, 06:31 PM
I take my kids to games as do many of you, so I am more than happy to put up with this inconvenience to ensure that the premises are safe.I too bring kids to games.

Surrendering to terrorism only makes the terrorist win.

Red4ever
04-20-2016, 06:56 PM
I mean...

Before this goes off the rails, can we not pretend to be anti-terrorism experts or pretend to know what fuels terrorists?

That's a big leap even for a forum.

ManUtd4ever
04-20-2016, 07:07 PM
I too bring kids to games.

Surrendering to terrorism only makes the terrorist win.

Surrendering to terrorism would be staying home. These measures are being put in place to help ensure our safety, and I for one will feel better knowing that everyone is being checked at the gates.

eustacchio
04-20-2016, 08:28 PM
I do find it a little odd that people are jumping to the conclusion that this has to do with terrorism and not people sneaking in smoke and flares - I mean considering that DCU thread. (I'm not saying that either reason are correct or wrong.)

MightyDM
04-21-2016, 07:30 AM
Unfortunately we live in crazy world so I understand why MLS is stepping up security. Sure it will be an inconvenience to some people going to games now, but it's better to be safe than sorry though.

canada is perfectly safe. The US isn't. Their should be a travel advisory due to all the US shootings, but we don't need to bring their culture of fear up here.

MightyDM
04-21-2016, 07:33 AM
PARIS—At least one of the attackers outside France’s national soccer stadium had a ticket to the game and attempted to enter the 80,000-person venue, according to a Stade de France security guard who was on duty and French police.
The guard—who asked to be identified only by his first name, Zouheir—said the attacker was discovered wearing an explosives vest when he was frisked at the entrance to the stadium about 15 minutes into the game. France was playing an exhibition against Germany inside.

Oh, 1 civilian was killed during the attack..... although there were 80,000 people inside, that was thwarted because they were frisked at the door...

yes. That happened. So have dozens of school shootings in the USA where far more people have been murdered than in Paris. Neither has realistic relevance to what might happen at BMO.

Fort York Redcoat
04-21-2016, 07:39 AM
yes. That happened. So have dozens of school shootings in the USA where far more people have been murdered than in Paris. Neither has realistic relevance to what might happen at BMO.

The stadium security comparison is relevant. The body count in other violent situations doesn't make it less serious.

Fort York Redcoat
04-21-2016, 07:40 AM
canada is perfectly safe. The US isn't. Their should be a travel advisory due to all the US shootings, but we don't need to bring their culture of fear up here.

The American counter to that is simply they didn't need to bring their league up here.

CBTFC
04-21-2016, 07:48 AM
"security measures", like the TSA searches at American airports, are just one big facade and don't actually do anything except keep everyone fearful of the terrorist bogeyman.

If someone really wants to to wreak havoc at a sporting event, regardless of their means, they will do so and there's nothing " security " can do about it.

Not to say we should live every moment "omg what if!?!?!", because that is no way to live life.

Cashcleaner
04-21-2016, 07:49 AM
I do find it a little odd that people are jumping to the conclusion that this has to do with terrorism and not people sneaking in smoke and flares - I mean considering that DCU thread. (I'm not saying that either reason are correct or wrong.)

More than likely, it's a combination of many factors - one of which might be to simply be in line with other leagues on the continent on the issue of security. I think definitely there's a bit of what you're saying, but I think they are also looking at broader threats as well.

I think perfectly safe is a little too optimistic. The Parliament Hill shooting taught us that these things can happen. Though I agree that we don't need to go overboard, either. A balance can be struck between the need for public safety and over-reaching security.

Pint
04-21-2016, 08:09 AM
Again if they want to impose measures to increase safety go for it but a banning of backpacks is not going to increase safety, it will only increase the hassle of getting into BMO.

I don't really want to get into the terrorism side of things but if someone wanted to attack Toronto BMO field during a TFC game would be like plan 142 not plan 1.

Parkdale
04-21-2016, 08:11 AM
Hey everyone.... just before this thread descends too far into the politics of the 'War on Terror' and other such non-topic issues (even though they kind of are related)

:topic:

Let's talk about what these new measures mean to us on gamedays, and what we can do to work with/around the regulations to keep our enjoyment levels high.

T-boy
04-21-2016, 08:46 AM

Unfortunately nowhere is safe anymore. Just look at the terror attack in Australia a couple of years ago at that cafe. Oz is no different from Canada. Canada always has a physical connection to the US which makes it a target for some. And there was a short time ago when you would consider Belgium one of the safest countries in the world, but not anymore :(

bgnewf
04-21-2016, 08:51 AM
http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/new-security-procedures/

BeachTory
04-21-2016, 09:17 AM
This isnt security. It is security theater. It's a communication to the masses that when you come , you will be 'safe'. When attending other venues in the city, there are different lines/gates for private suite guests. We dont get the same pat down treatments and certaintly dont have to give up personal items that the general public have to yield.

That said, what else should we expect? The simpleton terrorist type of attacks are the most common and easiest to thwart. Like trying to walk into Stade St. Denis with a bomb vest on. Bribing the airport staff with a few dozen euros got the bomb onto the russian airliner in Egypt. That took a bit more work. Protection from attacks of this type requires extensive staff management we just dont allow in Canada from work placce regulation to union contracts to overall expense.

The theatre will move threats towards softer targets. I really hope BMO game day operations is ready with storage facilities and staff that have had training. We all want the full crowd in place from tne very start of the game.

C.Ronaldo
04-21-2016, 09:26 AM
I hate to chime into the terrorist side of this chat, but do you really think the 17 year old teen checking me at the gate is going to stop a major attack?

this reminds me of the time they gave my 80 year old grandma a pat down and emptied her purse at the skydome for a Jays game

C.Ronaldo
04-21-2016, 09:33 AM
Just to double check

Are all back packs not allowed? if the back pack is small, is that okay?

this one is within the accepted dimensions, 14x14

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/514CvFj0UvL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg

CanadaLFC
04-21-2016, 09:40 AM
Are fanny packs still allowed?

ExiledRed
04-21-2016, 10:13 AM
I am extemely uncomfortable with unscreened, dubiously qualified security guards fondling my children, your children or any young people entering the stadium.
Talk about counter terrorism if it makes you feel important, but thats a bullshit premise if the security guards are just minimum wage power trippers and not trained in counter terrorism.

Red4ever
04-21-2016, 10:20 AM
Im gonna be really annoyed if this is all about stopping smoke and those idiots somehow get smoke in anyway.

At least ill be groped. Thats always fun.

ExiledRed
04-21-2016, 10:30 AM
Im gonna be really annoyed if this is all about stopping smoke and those idiots somehow get smoke in anyway.

At least ill be groped. Thats always fun.

Its definitely about stopping things we do and not at all about stopping things that terrorists do. Terrorists dont even need to get into BMO, they would do more damage standing just outside by the concession stands at half time.

GreatWhiteNorth
04-21-2016, 11:09 AM
I went to a Jay's game for the first time in many years, was surprised at the level of security. Although, I have also been to rock concerts that had high-level of security as well. Here's the thing, it is not our place to determine what is, or is not, acceptable. If they want to put a policy in place for random full body scans, it is their right. The league/venues are the ones responsible for security, and they are going to do what they feel is in their best interest. We can complain, but in the end, their policy stands. Welcome to the world as it is today. They are not doing this just to f*** with people.

If you have an issue with how a pat-down was conducted, you raise the issue with security. If you feel you are being touched inappropriately, you bring that to attention.

Oblio2
04-21-2016, 11:26 AM
This is a problem. A game for me is an all day event. It's literally 7 or 8 hours. I brig a back pack every single game. It holds drinks for the journey, camera, extra battery for crap but also rain coats (just in case) and a blanket sometimes. You see, I bring my wife. I might have been a bit of a crazy 10 years ago. But now I'm fucking old. I come to enjoy the game. Not pound back beers and go mental. Yes. I even sit sometimes (oh the humanity). Oh. And on weekdays I come straight from work. Yes. I bring my work bag with my laptop.

So what's gonna happen now?

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/5a/5ab68ed04a4ed37e982ed57cdf2a0678fef29e5b5c455fb29f ca37b4c6fdea6c.jpg

Oblio2
04-21-2016, 11:28 AM
I went to a Jay's game for the first time in many years, was surprised at the level of security. Although, I have also been to rock concerts that had high-level of security as well. Here's the thing, it is not our place to determine what is, or is not, acceptable. If they want to put a policy in place for random full body scans, it is their right. The league/venues are the ones responsible for security, and they are going to do what they feel is in their best interest. We can complain, but in the end, their policy stands. Welcome to the world as it is today. They are not doing this just to f*** with people.

If you have an issue with how a pat-down was conducted, you raise the issue with security. If you feel you are being touched inappropriately, you bring that to attention.

or enjoy it and get back in line????

MightyDM
04-21-2016, 11:49 AM
More than likely, it's a combination of many factors - one of which might be to simply be in line with other leagues on the continent on the issue of security. I think definitely there's a bit of what you're saying, but I think they are also looking at broader threats as well.

I think perfectly safe is a little too optimistic. The Parliament Hill shooting taught us that these things can happen. Though I agree that we don't need to go overboard, either. A balance can be struck between the need for public safety and over-reaching security.

Fair enough. But it is inconceivable that MLS has actual threats, or the response would be far more strict, including cancelling games. Therefore the only conclusion can be that they want it to look like they are doing something so that they are protected in the extremely unlikely event something happens. And given that it is in their economic interest for us to carry as little as possible into matches, including sweaters and jackets, its reasonable to be cynical.

As for the safety of Canada, yes it is true that a seriously deranged person with a gun caused a tragedy in Ottawa (apparently after crying our for help for his mental illness and being ignored). But compared to the USA, we are perfectly safe, and the idea that North American Soccer Stadia are a terrorist target is absurd. Stade de France is a different symbol - more like the CN Tower in stature. If we want to reduce real threats to health and safety, we should force every car to drive to the game at 60 km and two car lengths behind the car in front, because it is on our roads where the real carnage is in Canada. The stadium stuff is fake protection that only inconveniences people and does nothing to make us safe.

MightyDM
04-21-2016, 11:51 AM
This.

I take my kids to games as do many of you, so I am more than happy to put up with this inconvenience to ensure that the premises are safe.

I bring mine too. This does nothing to make us safe. Nothing whatsoever.

C.Ronaldo
04-21-2016, 12:20 PM
I bring mine too. This does nothing to make us safe. Nothing whatsoever.

Ditto, its not about the children

Red4ever
04-21-2016, 12:39 PM
Everyone is free to post their thesis here too.

ExiledRed
04-21-2016, 01:26 PM

This is a reactive solution that requires somebody be assaulted before action is taken.

I want cameras on every security guard giving pat downs, and I want highly trained, professional, well paid security guards to do it.

Steelers7
04-21-2016, 01:51 PM
WOW!
People are moaping and sobbing about a security check?

Did anyone really think that it would never come to MLS/BMO Field?
I'm surprised it took this long since the NFL, MLB and NHL/NBA (I'm combining the 2 since a lot are shared buildings) had it in place for a fairly long time.

First world problems I guess lol

ExiledRed
04-21-2016, 02:07 PM
WOW!
People are moaping and sobbing about a security check?

Did anyone really think that it would never come to MLS/BMO Field?
I'm surprised it took this long since the NFL, MLB and NHL/NBA (I'm combining the 2 since a lot are shared buildings) had it in place for a fairly long time.

First world problems I guess lol

Nobody is moping and sobbing. Using those words does not invalidate peoples legitimate concerns.

the 'crying, whining' argument is bullshit. People who use it are generally idiots who dont know how to have a conversation.

oh yeah, and beginning your post with WOW! doesn't convince me you are genuinely shocked either.

JayMolly
04-21-2016, 02:25 PM
It would have been nice if they included a 'new' clear TFC bag with our tix.
Or perhaps they will hand one out during the home opener as per the 'new' security policy?

Red4ever
04-21-2016, 02:28 PM
Nobody is moping and sobbing. Using those words does not invalidate peoples legitimate concerns.

the 'crying, whining' argument is bullshit. People who use it are generally idiots who dont know how to have a conversation.

oh yeah, and beginning your post with WOW! doesn't convince me you are genuinely shocked either.

Simmer.

eustacchio
04-21-2016, 03:03 PM
I've been to a couple of shows in the last few years where I have thought, "my wife doesn't even touch me like this." Do you really need to feel the inside of my ass crack, dude?

Bestival last year had sniffer dogs outside. Of course, they were not police dogs but some security firm's - it was definitely more of a scare tactic than anything else.

GreatWhiteNorth
04-21-2016, 03:28 PM
or enjoy it and get back in line????

Well, given that the pat-downs are generally done by someone of the same gender, our hopes of a getting a cutie are slim to none.

GreatWhiteNorth
04-21-2016, 03:33 PM
This is a reactive solution that requires somebody be assaulted before action is taken.

I want cameras on every security guard giving pat downs, and I want highly trained, professional, well paid security guards to do it.

Again, this has nothing to do with what "we" want. If "we" don't like it, "we" don't have to go. It's not a right to attend an event, whether it's a soccer game, hockey, concert etc. If we attend, it's under the conditions set forth by the event promoter, venue, etc. We don't have to like it, but we need to accept it.

To say you want security cams and highly trained professionals, are you willing to pay double for your tickets? Everything comes with a cost.

MightyDM
04-21-2016, 04:04 PM
Again, this has nothing to do with what "we" want. If "we" don't like it, "we" don't have to go. It's not a right to attend an event, whether it's a soccer game, hockey, concert etc. If we attend, it's under the conditions set forth by the event promoter, venue, etc. We don't have to like it, but we need to accept it.

To say you want security cams and highly trained professionals, are you willing to pay double for your tickets? Everything comes with a cost.

I don't go to the Jays games anymore for exactly this reason. BMO is a public facility and we actually do have some rights, as the owners.

as for the increased security, it is totally unnecessary and does nothing to make anyone safe. what does make us safe from organized terror is good intelligence work, if that is what this is really about, rather than stopping people from bringing their own water and food into the stadium so MLSE can make more on concessions. As I said before, the real safety risk is on the roads around BMO. If this was about safety, and we cared about safety based on factual analysis, someone would be forcing cars to drive the proper distance apart, not tail gate, etc etc, and would be forcing cars into one lane and having the other free for bikes. How many cyclists died last year in Ontario? How many car drivers? How many from alleged terror?

That's why its about the perception of safety.

ExiledRed
04-21-2016, 04:57 PM
Again, this has nothing to do with what "we" want.

Neither was grass, affordable water, flags, frozen ticket prices.... should I go on dude? I have the right to complain, and yeah I also have the right to boycott.

Ive been proven right on issues like this in the past. The moment security guards start getting beaten by irate fans who have been drinking, for inappropriately touching their girlfriends/wives/children this will unravel. When the sexual assault accusations start coming in, the cameras and the training will be mandated.

I live in the real world. dude.

prizby
04-21-2016, 07:22 PM

so lets create a bottleneck at the gate where we frisk everyone and create a bigger target

Carter
04-21-2016, 07:49 PM
so lets create a bottleneck at the gate where we frisk everyone and create a bigger target

Guess he didn't think of that before he got caught with it.

it happens at almost every other major sporting event. But without the patdowns and extra security checks, BMO field gates are already bottlenecked.

anyways, it's a moot point, people are going to believe in their minds what they want to believe, for the reasons they believe and it's their right to do so.

Who knows if you are even going to get frisked, the policy states wand or patdowns. All bags were previously searched before so this isn't a new policy, it's the elimination of "types" of bags or "size" that have people upset.

The policy states patdowns or wands, ML$E might surprise us and buy wands....

The bags which they gave away outside the stadium do meet the guidelines, there is no policy regarding "clear bags" at BMO, So should be all good.

WestStandGeoff
04-21-2016, 08:41 PM
Are fanny packs still allowed?

No... just no.

Nothing to do with rules at BMO, but no.

GreatWhiteNorth
04-21-2016, 10:28 PM
Neither was grass, affordable water, flags, frozen ticket prices.... should I go on dude? I have the right to complain, and yeah I also have the right to boycott.

Ive been proven right on issues like this in the past. The moment security guards start getting beaten by irate fans who have been drinking, for inappropriately touching their girlfriends/wives/children this will unravel. When the sexual assault accusations start coming in, the cameras and the training will be mandated.

I live in the real world. dude.

I live in the real world, too. You do have the right to complain, and to boycott. I did not mean to imply that you do not have those rights. All said, if you, and a couple thousand others, decide to boycott games, that may change nothing. If this is what they want, they will implement it, regardless of incidents that have occurred. There will always be issues, no matter who/what/where/when/why. If a security guard gets attacked by a drunken fool, he will suffer the consequences. A drunk fool won't care how well trained a guard is, if they think they saw something that they didn't actually see because they're piss-drunk.

I live in the real world too, and understand that venues have a right to implement whatever security protocol they want. If I don't like it, I won't attend. Frankly, I don't have a problem with this at all. Have had a pat-down a couple times, not an issue for me, or my girlfriend.

GreatWhiteNorth
04-21-2016, 10:49 PM
I don't go to the Jays games anymore for exactly this reason. BMO is a public facility and we actually do have some rights, as the owners.

as for the increased security, it is totally unnecessary and does nothing to make anyone safe. what does make us safe from organized terror is good intelligence work, if that is what this is really about, rather than stopping people from bringing their own water and food into the stadium so MLSE can make more on concessions. As I said before, the real safety risk is on the roads around BMO. If this was about safety, and we cared about safety based on factual analysis, someone would be forcing cars to drive the proper distance apart, not tail gate, etc etc, and would be forcing cars into one lane and having the other free for bikes. How many cyclists died last year in Ontario? How many car drivers? How many from alleged terror?

That's why its about the perception of safety.

This has nothing to do with cyclist getting killed, tail gaiting or terror threats. If a person does not want to go to a facility/event because of the security protocols in place, they have that right. The city of Toronto, and its tax payers, have zero say in the security protocols that MLSE/MLS put in place for events they hold at BMO field. You/we/anyone else, has zero right to say and complain about event security, regardless whether the land and/or facility itself is owned by the city. These are security measures being put in place by MLS/TFC, not the city. A pat-down does not violate a person's rights. If it did, no one would fly.

If anyone does not like the security measures in place, they can call and complain to those in charge. But the reality is, those people are in the minority. Hence the reason there are so many people at Jays games... most people don't care.

Auzzy
04-21-2016, 11:22 PM
Oh my god oh my god!! Of course we have a RIGHT to say and complain about event security if we think it's unreasonable! For example, why can't I bring a 16x16x8 soft-sided backpack to a TFC game, like I can to a Jays game?

Carter
04-22-2016, 05:27 AM
Oh my god oh my god!! Of course we have a RIGHT to say and complain about event security if we think it's unreasonable! For example, why can't I bring a 16x16x8 soft-sided backpack to a TFC game, like I can to a Jays game?
Because the league mandate it to be 4" smaller.... :hump::drum::rolleyes:

burlington Red
04-22-2016, 06:20 AM
I've been going to old Trafford for 30 yrs, obviously not as much in the last 10 yrs since being in Canada but still get to 3-4 games a season.One of the things I did notice upon arriving in Canada is how much stuff people take to matches here. I am not knocking anyone for it, everyone has/her reasons, but I can honestly say in 30 yrs at United games I 've never taken anything to a game that couldn't fit in my pocket. See the items United do allow and do not allow for compariosn with these new MLS rules:
http://www.manutd.com/pix/emails/Files/2015/November/Prohibited%20Items%20Poster%20Web%20Use%20V4.pdf

Cashcleaner
04-22-2016, 07:03 AM
It would have been nice if they included a 'new' clear TFC bag with our tix.
Or perhaps they will hand one out during the home opener as per the 'new' security policy?

That's actually a pretty cool idea. Why the heck hasn't anyone thought of that?!

http://nflshop.frgimages.com/partners/leagues/NFL/headers/HG/1538_SEO_Headers_ClearBags.jpg

Okay, actually someone already has, but it's still a great idea for the TFC Season Ticket Holder Packs.

Cashcleaner
04-22-2016, 07:44 AM
Fair enough. But it is inconceivable that MLS has actual threats, or the response would be far more strict, including cancelling games. Therefore the only conclusion can be that they want it to look like they are doing something so that they are protected in the extremely unlikely event something happens. And given that it is in their economic interest for us to carry as little as possible into matches, including sweaters and jackets, its reasonable to be cynical.

Ok, but if you're going to talk about economics, consider the additional cost that the club is going to swallow for extra guards, training, equipment, etc. I don't think this is a move that creates any net revenue. If anything, MLS is the last major sports league on the continent to institute a major overhaul on venue security, which suggests to me they aren't all that keen themselves on it but are having to at least meet some sort of standard.

As for the safety of Canada, yes it is true that a seriously deranged person with a gun caused a tragedy in Ottawa (apparently after crying our for help for his mental illness and being ignored). But compared to the USA, we are perfectly safe, and the idea that North American Soccer Stadia are a terrorist target is absurd. Stade de France is a different symbol - more like the CN Tower in stature. If we want to reduce real threats to health and safety, we should force every car to drive to the game at 60 km and two car lengths behind the car in front, because it is on our roads where the real carnage is in Canada. The stadium stuff is fake protection that only inconveniences people and does nothing to make us safe.

I agree it's more theatrics of security than anything else, though I'm sure there is some effect of deterrence as a result of all this. The millon dollar question is whether or not it's all worth it. Like you said, this is soccer in Canada - is it really a target of priority for lunatics? I'd wager not.

GreatWhiteNorth
04-22-2016, 08:58 AM

You most certainly do have a right to complain, but not simply because BMO field sits on public land. If the yelling falls on deaf ears, I am saying there's not a thing anyone can do about it. Suck it up if one is opposed to it, or don't come. Some have made the choice to not go to a Jay's game because of the security, yet their security procedures are still in place. Why? Because the number of people who are steadfastly opposed and refuse to go, are an insignificant number of individuals overall, and not enough to warrant a change in a procedure that the men in suits is best for them and their organization. By all means though, if you are female and they request a pat-down, you can ask for a female to do the pat-down, that is pretty standard.

I'm not trying to be a prick about this, but people's skin has gotten pretty thin. Why can't anyone handle the fact that sometimes there are rules that we are not going to like, you either abide by them, or don't attend? By all means, voice your concerns, as incidents happen. Complaining about what MIGHT happen, will not make a difference. Saying you don't like being touched, is like saying you don't like heights but want to go up the CN Tower.

Whether the added security is actual, or perceived, these are the measures that have been mandated. At game time, accept them and attend, or reject them and do not attend.

Pint
04-22-2016, 09:04 AM
Red bulls do not change policy... bags still allowed.

Steelers7
04-22-2016, 09:05 AM
You most certainly do have a right to complain, but not simply because BMO field sits on public land. If the yelling falls on deaf ears, I am saying there's not a thing anyone can do about it. Suck it up if one is opposed to it, or don't come. Some have made the choice to not go to a Jay's game because of the security, yet their security procedures are still in place. Why? Because the number of people who are steadfastly opposed and refuse to go, are an insignificant number of individuals overall, and not enough to warrant a change in a procedure that the men in suits is best for them and their organization. By all means though, if you are female and they request a pat-down, you can ask for a female to do the pat-down, that is pretty standard.

I'm not trying to be a prick about this, but people's skin has gotten pretty thin. Why can't anyone handle the fact that sometimes there are rules that we are not going to like, you either abide by them, or don't attend? By all means, voice your concerns, as incidents happen. Complaining about what MIGHT happen, will not make a difference. Saying you don't like being touched, is like saying you don't like heights but want to go up the CN Tower.

Whether the added security is actual, or perceived, these are the measures that have been mandated. At game time, accept them and attend, or reject them and do not attend.

Well said sir.

Primavera
04-22-2016, 09:34 AM
The Jays process is dead simple (and I've been to mid-week games, ALDS games, Home Opener). I this will not be much of an issue once we and the staff have been through it a couple of times.

Areathrasher
04-22-2016, 09:39 AM
Ditto, its not about the children

It's about keeping the insurance premiums reasonable.

C.Ronaldo
04-22-2016, 10:02 PM
This is 10$ at Walmart
http://i5.walmartimages.com/dfw/dce07b8c-3a68/k2-_a4510b71-e185-4a3f-9fad-4c59837abc89.v1.jpg

Joe Kool
05-03-2016, 08:02 AM
Well TFC just sent out an email for home opener info and it contained a link to their security (code of conduct) page and nothing looks different than any other year as far as I can tell. I guess I get to bring my sack pack with the draw string after all. It doesn't say anything about laptop bags either. It just says "Backpacks and large bags over 14x14x6 inches (subject to search)"

http://www.torontofc.ca/bmofield/code-conduct

JayMolly
05-03-2016, 10:57 AM
[QUOTE=Joe Kool;1792896]Well TFC just sent out an email for home opener info and it contained a link to their security (code of conduct) page and nothing looks different than any other year as far as I can tell. I guess I get to bring my sack pack with the draw string after all. It doesn't say anything about laptop bags either. It just says "Backpacks and large bags over 14x14x6 inches (subject to search)"

We are not objecting to a search of our backpack.
However, are they going to measure the backpacks?
Our TFC SportChek backpack is 14.5 x 16.5 inches!

Red CB Toronto
05-03-2016, 10:59 AM
[QUOTE=Joe Kool;1792896]Well TFC just sent out an email for home opener info and it contained a link to their security (code of conduct) page and nothing looks different than any other year as far as I can tell. I guess I get to bring my sack pack with the draw string after all. It doesn't say anything about laptop bags either. It just says "Backpacks and large bags over 14x14x6 inches (subject to search)"

It will not be an issue, they have never measured backpacks, their main concern will be the contents.

Phil
05-03-2016, 11:00 AM

my understanding is that if the backpack can be easily stowed under the seat or on it without impeding people getting by then it should be fine. Of course as always it is subject to be searched on the way in.

Joe Kool
05-03-2016, 11:12 AM

I am with you on not having an issue with the search of my bag. I think that is fine too. Luckily my Nike sack pack that I bring to every game is just under those dimensions slightly so hoping not to have any issue. Honestly I don't think anyone will be standing there with a measuring tape but who knows what they might have in store. Maybe those wire frame things you see at the airport to measure the bags. Hard to tell until we see what they do on the first day. Most rules like this are only there so that they can enforce if needed when someone really goes over the line. I doubt they will give the average person attending the match much hassle if their bag is slightly over. Guess we will see what happens.

Afra
05-03-2016, 11:36 AM
No one will measure so if your bag size is reasonable (close to those measurements) and not a 70L pack, you will be fine. They are interested in contents and a$$hats with bags that impede other people in the seats and walking about the stadium. Remember to leave your knife in the car.

Auzzy
05-03-2016, 12:04 PM
I read that at least some of the stadiums will have those wire frame thingies like in the airport, to see if your bag fits. Hopefully they won't go that far in Toronto. And you're right, that TFC website is not as clear about the size as elsewhere. We shall see I guess.

Roca
05-06-2016, 09:45 PM
"Additionally, all bags will be searched, and the league will now prohibit fans from bringing in large purses, coolers, briefcases, backpacks, luggage of any kind, computer bags, camera bags and any bag larger than 14-by-14-by-6 inches."

I just heard about the backpack restriction, so I measured every bag in the house, including re-useable grocery bags. I found two bags that were within the size limitations. One was a laptop bag (prohibited, according to the above, found on the TFC website) and the other was a plastic grocery-store bag. To me, the restriction sounds like any and all of the items listed are are prohibited, no matter what the size.

Of course, the so-called Code of Conduct also says we're not allowed to be drunk at the game or use naughty words. Good luck with that!

I guess we'll just have to see how strictly things are enforced, and how soon it will be before some tin-pot power-drunk cop wannabe uses these restrictions to kick out or refuse admission to one of our members. I'm hopeful that won't happen, and that the security people will use common sense.

Red CB Toronto
05-06-2016, 11:21 PM
"Additionally, all bags will be searched, and the league will now prohibit fans from bringing in large purses, coolers, briefcases, backpacks, luggage of any kind, computer bags, camera bags and any bag larger than 14-by-14-by-6 inches."

I just heard about the backpack restriction, so I measured every bag in the house, including re-useable grocery bags. I found two bags that were within the size limitations. One was a laptop bag (prohibited, according to the above, found on the TFC website) and the other was a plastic grocery-store bag. To me, the restriction sounds like any and all of the items listed are are prohibited, no matter what the size.

Of course, the so-called Code of Conduct also says we're not allowed to be drunk at the game or use naughty words. Good luck with that!

I guess we'll just have to see how strictly things are enforced, and how soon it will be before some tin-pot power-drunk cop wannabe uses these restrictions to kick out or refuse admission to one of our members. I'm hopeful that won't happen, and that the security people will use common sense.

Pit is so up the air, with those restrictions in place people were bringing in backpacks etc into Saputo, just wanted to point that out.

Klinsmann
05-07-2016, 05:56 AM
at the TFC game in Montreal 2 weeks ago - they were allowing backpacks into Saputo and they security check was pretty standard there like previous years.

magmadragon
05-07-2016, 03:14 PM
Went for a walk around the stadium earlier today and they had this outside the vip entrance. I assume this applies to to all entrances.

http://imgur.com/0aS7Rk6

stegosaurus
05-07-2016, 10:54 PM
Brought a normal-sized backpack (most likely larger than the recommended size) with rain gear and a change of clothes, etc. and had no issues. Security guy was nice, friendly, and set a good tone to the start of the evening. Couldn't imagine a more enjoyable entrance after all the things being posted about the new security measures.

molenshtain
05-07-2016, 11:01 PM
pro tip: If you go in early enough they don't have metal detectors set up and they don't search you.

Areathrasher
05-08-2016, 12:04 AM
I smoke so I was in and out twice. Zero issues.

Still Kicking
05-08-2016, 07:11 AM
Although my knapsack is well under their size limits, (a sturdy Roots Canada bag that was once a school bag for one of my kids then graduated to my man bag a few years ago) I chose to leave it behind in the car. So I approached security/tickets with my TFC fleece blanket over my arm and I was wearing my rain coat over my hoodie. I also had the TFC Sportchek black drawstring bag in case I wanted a bag to carry said blanket or rain coat.
They wanded me, no problem.
I think next game I am going to dare to bring in my mini man bag.

Justin10000
05-08-2016, 01:58 PM
Security was no different from last year. Security was cordial, checked my bag as usual and I didn't even get wanded.

sidvan
05-08-2016, 02:06 PM
Anyone know why admittance was closed to 115? Walked in the normal way to go to my seats (signs to 115 still posted) and was told very rudely to get out and go up the stairs at the back or from 113.

nfitz
05-08-2016, 03:48 PM
Went for a walk around the stadium earlier today and they had this outside the vip entrance. I assume this applies to to all entrances.

http://imgur.com/0aS7Rk6The only one I saw was for the box seats, on the west side entrance. I guess they know where the troublemakers are!

A whole lot of fuss about nothing. Was pretty normal.

Anyone know why admittance was closed to 115? Walked in the normal way to go to my seats (signs to 115 still posted) and was told very rudely to get out and go up the stairs at the back or from 113.Odd ... but given they've clearly been rushing to get the seating, etc., finished (the paint on the capo stands felt like it was only a couple of hours old!), then my guess is that it's construction related. Perhaps that's where they shoved all the equipment at the last minute!

Red4ever
05-08-2016, 06:48 PM
Came from the airport with a backpack as a carry on. Little choice as i landed at 715. No issues

james
05-08-2016, 07:13 PM
security was fine to me last night, had no problem, all they did is very quickly scan me with that wond thing. Took what 3 seconds? then I was in. Went for smoke at half time and security was a non issue for me.

Auzzy
05-08-2016, 10:15 PM
Yes it seems the security changes were over-hyped by the league, at least wrt. Toronto. The only difference was the wanding. I actually brought my stuff in two small plastic bags to avoid issues with the bag sizes. I had some extra clothes for my daughter as I knew it would be getting late, cold & possibly wet.

I hope it stays reasonable like this, then I'll be bringing a proper day pack in the future.

Afra
05-09-2016, 09:06 AM
No issues here either. I had an RPB issue cinch bag with some ponchos and gloves etc. (nothing hard) and they had no issue with that. One lady wanted to wand me and I started taking all the metal out of my pockets but she decided against it because I was taking too long. I would imagine that she figured no big deal because I was with my lad. I did leave my knife in the car though.

TFC Tifoso
05-09-2016, 09:09 AM
aside from the wanding I found it to be the exact same process as last year....empty pockets, open small bags, and in you go......

TFC Cityboy
05-09-2016, 10:12 AM
Anyone know why admittance was closed to 115? Walked in the normal way to go to my seats (signs to 115 still posted) and was told very rudely to get out and go up the stairs at the back or from 113.
Hi Sid
Same happened to me, but the 115 access now does only go to the new wheelchair section there, meaning the only access to 114/115 is from the top.

ou8jonesy
05-09-2016, 12:59 PM
Entered early at the Bud Truck. No issues just wanded. Exited after a couple beer to enter the Club section and no issues but much more of a pain. Actual metal detectors and empty all pockets. Even the lanyard that they had just given us had to come off. Again no issues but what a pain. A bit of overkill considering the rest of the stadium was just the wands as far as I know.