PDA

View Full Version : How to dominate MLS in 3 easy steps.

Stryker
07-26-2008, 10:44 PM
Dear MLSE,

Since you are new to the whole owning a football (soccer) team thing... we the fans would like to offer you an easy step by step guide to owning a winning team. (for a change)

Step 1. Sell the Raptors.
Step 2. Use the funds obtained in step one to obtain the following players: Cristiano ronaldo, Gennaro Gattuso, Steven Gerrand and Gianluigi Buffon.
Step 3. Enjoy the success of your dynasty as you win cup after cup for the next 7-10 years while basking in the glow of your eternally greatful fans.

Cheers!

PaulinosTFC
07-26-2008, 10:46 PM
Another useless thread

Stryker
07-26-2008, 10:49 PM
Another useless thread

Indeed. And thank you for contributing.

Nuvinho
07-26-2008, 10:51 PM
errrrrrr...........I don't know what to say!!!

I was gonna think of something dumb to say, but I think this thread has enough dumb things in it already.

Stryker
07-26-2008, 10:54 PM
Doesn`t anybody find humour in the absurd anymore?

Razcle
07-26-2008, 10:55 PM
Dear MLSE,

Since you are new to the whole owning a football (soccer) team thing... we the fans would like to offer you an easy step by step guide to owning a winning team. (for a change)

Step 1. Sell the Raptors.
Step 2. Use the funds obtained in step one to obtain the following players: Cristiano ronaldo, Gennaro Gattuso, Steven Gerrand and Gianluigi Buffon.
Step 3. Enjoy the success of your dynasty as you win cup after cup for the next 7-10 years while basking in the glow of your eternally greatful fans.

Cheers!

So how do you fit that under the salary cap slick....Your plan failed before it was ever concocted in your head. Try Again.

Fernandinho
07-26-2008, 10:57 PM
So how do you fit that under the salary cap slick....Your plan failed before it was ever concocted in your head. Try Again.

check...and mate

Stryker
07-26-2008, 10:59 PM

Ahh but thats the beauty. Because of the huge revenues generated by new fans both here and abroad, the league will bend the rules (as they always do when its in their favor) and turn a blind eye to the whole salary cap thing so long as its not on their dime.

zeelaw
07-26-2008, 11:08 PM
Another useless thread

:):):)

Cambridge_Red
07-26-2008, 11:10 PM
bahh my eyes hurt

TFC07
07-26-2008, 11:42 PM
Sell the Raptors? :frown2:

Bars92
07-26-2008, 11:44 PM
Maybe you should stick to the Eskimos bud. Leave the real football up to us.

edmundo
07-27-2008, 12:36 AM
Another useless thread
agreed

BC101
07-27-2008, 12:45 AM
I heard the Afflac duck is spotted in section 127 week in week out at home matches...

AFFLACCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Mojo
07-27-2008, 01:34 AM
Step 1: Buy Planet Earth
Step 2: Harvest humans in top secret special training camps
Step 3: Start the best 11 humans from said camp
Step 4: ???
Step 5: PROFIT!!

devioustrevor
07-27-2008, 01:36 AM
Strange as this may sound, but I think if Man U was willing to sell Cristiano Ronaldo, he'd be playing for Real Madrid already. Reno Gattuso has looked really old for the past year and he's more of a holding/destroying midfielder, hardly much help with our goal-scoring problem. Steven Gerrard is unlikely to ever Liverpool, Real Madrid and Chelsea offered him unseemly amounts of money a few years ago and he chose to stay at Anfield. As for Gigi, if he didn't leave Juventus when they got demoted to Serie B, he's not leaving them until they change the locks and he can't get in anymore.

Corpand
07-27-2008, 01:50 AM
Why dont we sell the Maple Le- *gets pelted with rocks*

james
07-27-2008, 02:13 AM
im pretty sure back in the 70's the New york Cosmos did a similar thing back in the NASL days. They got the best players in the world, spent Millions of dollars, filled giant Stadium with 70,000 fans a game and won year after year. Yet the league folded because all the other teams averaged more like 10,000-20,000 tops...........sound like someone we could become????????????

spending to much money could kill this league. We must learn from the NASL.

ExiledRed
07-27-2008, 07:48 AM
spending to much money could kill this league. We must learn from the NASL.

That fucking' non approved league is going to haunt us forever isnt it?

Because NASL failed we have to have a crap league, or 'it will implode'

Fuckin balls. nobody was interested in the NASL because it was the 70s and nobody had satellite TV, playstations, the internet, decent soccer stadiums, players with fashionista wives and so on.

In addition the premiership was boring old 'division one' and football was less glamorous globally than it is today.

None of these facts are ever considered when the old non FIFA approved, NASL is dredged up as an example, and a reason for keeping MLS crap.

pubboy
07-27-2008, 07:56 AM
In addition the premiership was boring old 'division one' and football was less glamorous globally than it is today.
I agree with your sentiment, but Division One as it was called, was far from boring. In fact, the league was much more open and competitive, and was when players and teams were in it for the football. In the Premiership, money rules and has led to a massive rift in the league, with the massive money clubs in effect forming their own mini league at the top, and the rest playing for a 5th place finish at best. Bad for the game overall, although the TV exposure has obvioulsy encouraged North Americans a little more (ok ok - mostly ex-pats).

ExiledRed
07-27-2008, 08:04 AM
I agree with your sentiment, but Division One as it was called, was far from boring. In fact, the league was much more open and competitive, and was when players and teams were in it for the football. In the Premiership, money rules and has led to a massive rift in the league, with the massive money clubs in effect forming their own mini league at the top, and the rest playing for a 5th place finish at best. Bad for the game overall, although the TV exposure has obvioulsy encouraged North Americans a little more (ok ok - mostly ex-pats).

Your missing my point.

Division one was not marketed in the way that the premiership is today, nor was it the 'elite' division for the most expensive players in Europe, or even close to that. As a result, the global market wasn't as excited by english football as it is today, and soccer as a whole didnt have that marketing power that it does today because of the marketability of the prem.

And as for the league being much more open, you mean Liverpool won every second year, sometimes two years in a row?

The only thing that was more open was second place, and that's fact.

pubboy
07-27-2008, 08:23 AM
Your missing my point.

Division one was not marketed in the way that the premiership is today, nor was it the 'elite' division for the most expensive players in Europe, or even close to that. As a result, the global market wasn't as excited by english football as it is today, and soccer as a whole didnt have that marketing power that it does today because of the marketability of the prem.

And as for the league being much more open, you mean Liverpool won every second year, sometimes two years in a row?

The only thing that was more open was second place, and that's fact.
Why do people feel the need to add "fact" on the end of their postings ? It doesnt make anyone listen or believe you anymore.
Anyway, obviously Liverpool were by far the most dominant team in the 70's and early 80's. However, between 1985 (when i first got my season ticket) and 1995, there were 6 different teams who were Champions. AND before you say it, i am fully aware that the Premiership was established in 1992.

ExiledRed
07-27-2008, 08:59 AM
Why do people feel the need to add "fact" on the end of their postings ? It doesnt make anyone listen or believe you anymore.

This is a device to indicate truthful information borne out by statistics, charts and historical documents other than my own opinion.

Anyway, obviously Liverpool were by far the most dominant team in the 70's and early 80's. However, between 1985 (when i first got my season ticket) and 1995, there were 6 different teams who were Champions. AND before you say it, i am fully aware that the Premiership was established in 1992.

Liverpool was the powerhouse, and there was no top 4, just Liverpool and a bunch of teams like Arsenal, Everton, Villa who could challenge for their title in the off years they didnt win. There are only 3 teams between 1985 and 1992 and those are Liverpool, Everton and Arsenal.

This is beside the point anyway, which was that people were less interested in the club game outside of their own countries and plenty of games werent even televised, soccer wasn't as globally marketed as it is and as a result the NASL which was a league that used to end ties with a fucked up one on one penalty system, couldn't generate credibility outside NA and didnt develop its own players like MLS has.

london_tfc_fan
07-27-2008, 09:01 AM
Dear MLSE,

Step 1. Sell the Raptors. Step 2. Use the funds obtained in step one to obtain the following players: Cristiano ronaldo, Gennaro Gattuso, Steven Gerrand and Gianluigi Buffon. Step 3. Enjoy the success of your dynasty as you win cup after cup for the next 7-10 years while basking in the glow of your eternally greatful fans.

Cheers!

why the raptors they are actually successsful and ud get more for the leafs:D
gattuso:confused: why not someone who can play like frank ribery

RealG-TFC
07-27-2008, 09:10 AM
fail

rocker
07-27-2008, 10:25 AM
i don't mind MLS "spending more" like the NASL as long as a cap + revenue sharing exists to ensure all teams have an equal chance to succeed.

The reason everyone brings up the Cosmos is that they spent more than most of the rest of the league could afford, thus they didn't win out of some extra skill at developing or identifying good players, but they won because they had deeper pockets. I don't really want my league to be a game of "let's see who can spend the most". i mean, it's great if you're a fan of the cosmos, but in my experience it really sucks when your team just doesn't have the wherewithal to do that.
this is the reason those big teams considered joining a new Euro league of the best clubs -- they were all the teams that could outspend their rivals to win championships and the fun was gone... of course, they didn't say that -- they just said they were the "best" teams and needed more competition.

MFBODD
07-27-2008, 10:54 AM
Sell the Raps? Sell the Leafs?

Small potatoes guys. You need to look straight at the ownership and by that I mean the teachers. Hmmm, sell off some of their "smaller" investments outside of MLSE. Now we're talking multi-billion dollar payroll!!

905shmick
07-27-2008, 11:13 AM
I heard the Afflac duck is spotted in section 127 week in week out at home matches...

AFFLACCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

No no no, it's AFFFSIIIIIIIIIIIIDE