PDA

View Full Version : Beckhamania slows as MLS grows

profit89
07-26-2008, 04:27 PM
http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/clubfootball/news/newsid=833448.html#beckhamania+slows+mls+grows

Shakes McQueen
07-26-2008, 06:06 PM
All of the TV coverage I see of Beckham and his wife, especially when he first came over to North America, made me think the guy was a colossal douchebag. Some of the goofy tattoos didn't help.

I gotta say though, every time I see an interview with him, he seems like a really nice guy, and it's great to see a world class footballer heaping praise upon our fledgling league, talking up our players (like Altidore), and playing hard.

He could have collected his paycheck and sat on his ass like some DP's have, but he didn't. He's become a pretty exceptional "ambassador" for the MLS.

- Scott

Smenge
07-26-2008, 06:41 PM
I am surprised too. I suppose now we know why he is so fucking popular. He is still a superb soccer player.

Cashcleaner
07-26-2008, 08:42 PM
Beckham shouldn't be held to blame for the fact that so many people are interested in him. I don't believe he really goes out of his way to whore himself out to the media, in fact just the opposite seems the case. He's very interested in charity work and has brought a lot of exposure to youth sport initiatives, but I ouldn't say he throws himself out to the paparazzi like many other celebs do.

And yeah, he is still a terrific footballer.

Stencils
07-26-2008, 08:47 PM
Beckham is a good guy, but he DOES still play for the Galaxy.

I hope he breaks a leg.* :P

*...unless Mo can bring him to TFC....

The Historian
07-27-2008, 11:34 AM
The article is good, but most of the comments attached to it on the FIFA website aren't. I see lots of responses from people who probably know next-to-nothing about MLS.

I agree with the comments in this thread about Beckham; when people say "he's not actually that good", et cetera, I think they're reacting to the celebrity that surrounds him. But I can't help but think that this media circus celebration was foisted upon him - from everything I've heard from him in interviews, it seems like he's just a guy who plays football. The English media whipped him up into a fashionable celebrity, he married Posh and those two factors have turned him Hollywood.