PDA

View Full Version : April 1st - 3rd - Other MLS Games This Weekend

OgtheDim
04-01-2016, 06:20 AM
April 1st

NYRB @ NER - 7 pm - worth watching to get a handle on who we play next week. Two teams not doing as well as people thought they would, but its early.

April 2nd

Chicago @ Philly 5 pm - This has all the hallmarks of being the worst game of the week.

RSL @ SKC 8:30 pm - something to watch during half time of the TFC game I suppose. These two teams don't like each other.

Columbus @ Dallas 9 pm - Dallas fun to watch. Columbus defence still shaky. Should be a big home win.

Montreal @ Seattle 10 pm - good test for the Impact. Sounders are pointless. Can both teams lose please?

LAG @ Vancouver 10 pm - I suspect LAG are going to pour it on Vancouver, even without Keane. (Blacked out on MLS Live in Canada)

DCU @ San Jose 10:30 pm - They might as just nail this up now as a 1-0 home win with a goal by Wondo off a header at the far post and not go through the motions. DCU in serious trouble

April 3

Portland @ Orlando 8 pm - Only a 44 hour drive apart.

Hugh Jazz
04-01-2016, 03:48 PM
Vancouver needs to stop underperforming and they've usually done well against the Galaxy, should be a good one.

Greatest Ripoff
04-01-2016, 06:21 PM
Are there any plans for the Revs to get their own purpose built stadium? Watching this match on TV in England and the 3/4 empty stadium doesn't do much to sell the MLS.

OgtheDim
04-01-2016, 06:57 PM
http://bostinno.streetwise.co/2015/08/12/new-england-revolution-boston-stadium-plan-krafts-must-seek-private-funding-instead-of-public/

OgtheDim
04-01-2016, 07:37 PM
Geiger has been a poor ref ever since he came back from Brazil.

Goal should count, yes.

No yellow to Robles complaining.

Not a red on that tackle.

OgtheDim
04-01-2016, 07:46 PM
On another note, you can still see the NFL lines and the Patriots logo on the pitch for NER. :(

Not impressed with NER. Their midfield given space can do something but their defence is not that good and can be beaten by the through ball. I think our defence first 4-3-3 can hold them off.

OgtheDim
04-01-2016, 07:57 PM
And now Geiger gives a yellow to the guy trying to take free kick who was stopped by two guys standing over the ball.

Lost the plot.

Edit: watch out for yellows this weekend for people complaining about calls. Dissent might be the MLS target of the week.

notthesun
04-01-2016, 08:03 PM
That straight red on Felipe is insane. Insane. I didn't even think it was a foul at first. It's a harsh yellow at most. My god.

It's soccer. Sometimes you're going to miss a tackle and hit somebody's ankle. There was nothing reckless about Felipe's tackle at all... the refs have completely lost it. The rate of red cards this year is ridiculous.

CBTFC
04-01-2016, 08:11 PM
The referee's a Geiger, the referee's a geiger... ;)

Only caught the 2nd half, but wow what a sloppy game that was. Half the ref's fault, and half the players' own doing. Watching Marsch lose his mind on the sidelines was amusing.

Hugh Jazz
04-01-2016, 08:24 PM
Definitely did not think that would get a red. Marsch was ripping into Geiger pretty good right before the red. Definitely amusing being able to hear him.

notthesun
04-01-2016, 08:37 PM
Geiger aside, the Red Bulls and Revs both look terrible.

OgtheDim
04-01-2016, 10:53 PM
Saw this tweet and now I'm worried about a red tomorrow night.

https://twitter.com/kaustin01/status/716093435183116288

ag futbol
04-02-2016, 11:51 AM
It's a good contest, but for my money Mark Geiger is the worst official in MLS.

Edit: why would we be worried about a red card? This tightening of the officiating works to our advantage. We're generally not a dirty team and we have one of the most fouled players in he league on our team. This is great news.

Yohan
04-02-2016, 11:59 AM
It's a good contest, but for my money Mark Geiger is the worst official in MLS.
Gantar. He is the worst

Edit: why would we be worried about a red card? This tightening of the officiating works to our advantage. We're generally not a dirty team and we have one of the most fouled players in he league on our team. This is great news.
now that we no longer have grabby hands Henry or red mist Jackson, yes. :)

ag futbol
04-02-2016, 12:18 PM
Gantar. He is the worst

now that we no longer have grabby hands Henry or red mist Jackson, yes. :)
Gantar is bad, but I find his officiating to be at least consistently stupid. Geiger, everything is just so incredibly arbitrary.

Yes, getting rid of those two helps. Not that we don't have guys who play hard but I generally think we're less prone than other teams. I get the concern that there are a lot of random reds handed out which decide games but still think all else even it works to our advantage.

Generally, they've cleaned up the product a bit by moving the needle on how tight the officials call the games. Unfortunately, they spend about as much on training their officials as wal-mart spends on a greeter so the end product's not great. Maybe putting Simon Borg and the other hacks on the league website out of work then using the money to actually improve the officiating rather than comment on it in the lamest way possible Would help, haha.

OgtheDim
04-02-2016, 01:50 PM
Yes lets play a winter schedule....

https://twitter.com/DanKelly_21/status/716330727030304768

CBTFC
04-02-2016, 04:07 PM
Yikes, lookin' like another slim crowd in Chicago...well, Bridgeview.

OgtheDim
04-02-2016, 04:28 PM
Lake affect snow flurries in Bridgeview. Not staying but vertical snow.

Petor
04-02-2016, 04:32 PM
Lake affect snow flurries in Bridgeview. Not staying but vertical snow.

And now the sun is out! :p

OgtheDim
04-02-2016, 04:32 PM
Gilberto's first touch is awful.

Klopas is a pleasant surprise as a colour man. Not holding anything back.

Petor
04-02-2016, 05:17 PM
Straight Red for Warren Creavalle.
I remember him.

OgtheDim
04-02-2016, 05:18 PM
Another reason why I'm glad he's gone. That was an awful foul. Second yellow and would have been a straight red if it was anybody but Petrescu reffing.

CBTFC
04-02-2016, 05:21 PM
It was all philly up until that, especially from the start of the 2nd half.

Now the tide has completely shifted in Chicago's favour, when they had no business.

Petor
04-02-2016, 05:22 PM
Another reason why I'm glad he's gone. That was an awful foul. Second yellow and would have been a straight red if it was anybody but Petrescu reffing.

I think that was a straight red, Petrescu only pulled the red card out of his pocket, he never showed Warren the second yellow first.

Yohan
04-02-2016, 05:22 PM
Straight Red for Warren Creavalle.
I remember him.
and some people wonder why so many red cards this season.

it's because of no brain soccer players like Creavalle making stupid challenges like that.

i'm glad that PRO is putting a stop on dumb challenges

OgtheDim
04-02-2016, 05:41 PM
Sapong is a handful this season. Needs more support out on the sides. If he had that, he'd be having a Kamara 2015 like season. Ilsinho is going to do some but they need width.

Neither team looks difficult to beat for our team. We'll see. The season is long.

Petor
04-02-2016, 05:55 PM
Gilberto missed a golden opportunity to the left, then a little while later misses one to the right.
He just can't hit the net today.

Petor
04-02-2016, 06:02 PM
And the fat lady sings, 1-0 Chicago over Philly.

molenshtain
04-02-2016, 06:10 PM
Sapong is a handful this season. Needs more support out on the sides. If he had that, he'd be having a Kamara 2015 like season. Ilsinho is going to do some but they need width.

Neither team looks difficult to beat for our team. We'll see. The season is long.

The thing about Sapong is that he's a way more complete play than Kamara. Underrated great pick up by the Philly FO.

Yohan
04-03-2016, 07:46 PM
Missed call by the ref on Orlando Portland game now. This should be a red, but only a yellow

https://twitter.com/Ben_Jata/status/716786940679483392/photo/1

Yohan
04-03-2016, 08:11 PM
And Bendik saved a PK. I guess miracles do happen

Hugh Jazz
04-03-2016, 08:20 PM
That was a great half in Orlando. Kaka still has plenty left in the tank and the crowd has been great. Good to see since the rest of the games this weekend have been mediocre at best.
That Shea tackle was such a bone headed play and most of the refs would give that a straight red. After seeing the gif replay like 40 times, Shea's studs up right foot doesn't make contact, wonder if Kelly noticed that or just didn't want to pull a red out with the game still young...

spe18
04-03-2016, 08:37 PM
Surprised no one has mentioned Cyle Larin had to leave the game about 30 mins in due to an injury.

OgtheDim
04-03-2016, 10:12 PM
Why do I get the feeling some people will point to that foul as proof the refs are not going over board.

Fort York Redcoat
04-04-2016, 08:45 AM
I think that was a straight red, Petrescu only pulled the red card out of his pocket, he never showed Warren the second yellow first.

The announcer even says that it should've been a straight red so I'm not sure. I am sure Creavalle is faster than his finesse...g:D

Gilberto missed a golden opportunity to the left, then a little while later misses one to the right.
He just can't hit the net today.

On the goal he very well could have redirected it but luckily he did not. Remaining scoreless in the game, though.

Fort York Redcoat
04-04-2016, 10:59 AM
And Bendik saved a PK. I guess miracles do happen

That certainly kept them in the drivers seat. The longer the game went the sillier Shea was playing. But that goal...

Yohan
04-04-2016, 11:52 AM
Laba red card.

https://twitter.com/Ben_Jata/status/716858843930750976

looks red to me

Fort York Redcoat
04-04-2016, 12:00 PM
Laba red card.

looks red to me

No doubt and it was a poor play to begin with. A step over when he needed to protect the ball on the side he then over compensates when it gets away from him.

Can't see the lead up there but in the game highlights it's very clear.

jloome
04-04-2016, 12:12 PM
Laba red card.

looks red to me

In any other league, that's a 50/50 challenge and a free kick at most. Even Arena said so after the game. If Laba had come in later, sure, but they reached the ball at almost exactly the same time. A split-second difference is not "dangerous play". Except in MLS, where even seeing a glimpse of stud is an automatic red. I guess we'll have to outlaw the slide tackle then.

EDIT: In fact, he makes contact with the ball BEFORE he slides through and hits the player. Yes, his studs are up, but not in the classic "toe up" kick fashion; his foot is sideways from a slide tackle.

The point is, for it to be dangerous or intent to injure in other leagues, the studs would have to be fully exposed and he would have to come in late enough for it to be visible. Here, they literally both hit the ball on opposite sides at almost exactly the same time. No way this gets a red in the EPL. No way! He was going for the ball.

notthesun
04-04-2016, 12:57 PM
In any other league, that's a 50/50 challenge and a free kick at most. Even Arena said so after the game. If Laba had come in later, sure, but they reached the ball at almost exactly the same time. A split-second difference is not "dangerous play". Except in MLS, where even seeing a glimpse of stud is an automatic red. I guess we'll have to outlaw the slide tackle then.

EDIT: In fact, he makes contact with the ball BEFORE he slides through and hits the player. Yes, his studs are up, but not in the classic "toe up" kick fashion; his foot is sideways from a slide tackle.

The point is, for it to be dangerous or intent to injure in other leagues, the studs would have to be fully exposed and he would have to come in late enough for it to be visible. Here, they literally both hit the ball on opposite sides at almost exactly the same time. No way this gets a red in the EPL. No way! He was going for the ball.

You catch Leicester on the weekend? Imagine this tackle in MLS: https://streamable.com/w9jp
(https://streamable.com/w9jp)
Someone does that here, it's a no-hesitation red card, game ruined, probably a fine from the DisCo and people talking about how "recklessly" Vardy went in. For a hard but fair challenge where both players walk away fine (excuse the commentator, if i recall correctly he changed his view of the tackle having seen the replay later).

Onyx
04-04-2016, 01:46 PM
i can't watch early season MLS ... its terrible, the poor passing, all the space, brutal refs.
After watching premiership footy all winter its really tough to watch.

QBall
04-04-2016, 03:17 PM
Man the west is starting strong this year. While I know it's early the first place team in the east would only be tied for third in the west and the second place team in the east would be tied for 8th in the west. It would be nice if the Cup came back east moer than once a decade (and I know of a certain lakeside stadium where it would look good).

Yohan
04-04-2016, 03:36 PM
Man the west is starting strong this year. While I know it's early the first place team in the east would only be tied for third in the west and the second place team in the east would be tied for 8th in the west. It would be nice if the Cup came back east moer than once a decade (and I know of a certain lakeside stadium where it would look good).
I hate to say it, but the best team in the East so far is Montreal. They look real good, despite their record. Should be interesting how they can play when Drogba comes back.

MightyDM
04-04-2016, 03:36 PM

Exactly. It isn't even a foul, unlike the tackle from behind in the Orlando game posted a few posts ago by Yohan. If this Laba tackle is a red, it's a totally new, and wrong in my view, interpretation of the rules of the game.

Yohan
04-04-2016, 03:40 PM
Exactly. It isn't even a foul, unlike the tackle from behind in the Orlando game posted a few posts ago by Yohan. If this Laba tackle is a red, it's a totally new, and wrong in my view, interpretation of the rules of the game.
http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/laws/football-11-11/law-12---fouls-and-misconduct.aspx

Law 12 Fouls and Misconduct

FIFA Laws of the Game 2015-16

Direct free kick
A direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any of the following seven offences in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:

kicks or attempts to kick an opponent
trips or attempts to trip an opponent
jumps at an opponent
charges an opponent
strikes or attempts to strike an opponent
pushes an opponent
tackles an opponent

Doesn't say anything about whether the player gets the ball first or not.

ag futbol
04-04-2016, 03:44 PM
That's a yellow at best. His foot is on the ground, hardly an "ankle breaker" as described.

The best part is, from that angle you can see him slide in, practically no movement in Magee's ankle and he starts flopping while holding his opposite leg. What a joke.

notthesun
04-04-2016, 04:54 PM
Doesn't say anything about whether the player gets the ball first or not.

Sorry Yohan, but this is the most tired line in this whole discussion that always pops up around controversial decisions and it always grinds my gears. Yes, the Laws of the Game don't mention getting to the ball first, but that's because they are purposefully written to be simple, brief, and vague, so as to imbue the referee with the authority to use his judgment and common sense in decision-making. I hate when people quote the LotG for stuff like this - as if we're all going to sit here and pretend getting contact with the ball is not one of the first things a referee or we as fans do when judging a tackle. Typically refs will look for contact with the ball and then judge whether the player used excessive force after or while he got the ball. That's how the game is actually officiated, regardless of what the laws say.

As opposed to many other sports, FIFA's rules for the playing of the game are there to support the referee as he controls the game using his judgment, rather than for the referee to fall back on to spot infringements. A quick look at the NHL rulebook compared to the LotG illustrates this pretty well. There's nearly 100 pages describing every conceivable foul, and they actually go out of their way to identify cases where refs should make particular use of judgment (like the description for the Boarding penalty).

Besides, try to find the word "studs" anywhere in the LotG and you'll come up empty, yet PRO is now employing a blanket interpretation that requires a straight red for any contact with them, so we may as well throw the LotG out the window at this point.

Yohan
04-04-2016, 08:59 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/04/04/despite-narrative-2016-red-card-numbers-not-out-place-mls-history

It seems that according to stats, red cards are slightly up from last season with same number of games played, but not terribly so.

Fort York Redcoat
04-05-2016, 08:04 AM
So most want to defend the first to the ball but not talk about what a shit move it was? Sure I don't love Laba since he's gone but I can admit how well he's done in the last season with Van.

That move - not great. Lost track of the ball (or its proximity to Magee) and goes in with 2 feet to move it away. I'd not give him red for it but it was a reckless move.

TFC1154ever
04-05-2016, 11:31 AM
When just over 1/3 of games are having someone being red carded, you have a problem. The EPL, which is considered are rough league, has had their all time high of red cards this year, and that was only 1/5 of games with a red card. Will Johnson put it perfectly. If all these tackles are endangering the safety of the opponent, then why are 95 percent of these, guys flopping on the ground and are back in the game right after the restarting whistle? It isn't football when the refs decide games like this. As a hockey referee, I feel that they they don't understand how to control the tempo of the game and get lost in the heat of the moment shit. Refs shouldn't be the talking point of every damn game, but the problem is, PRO wants them calling these tackles like this. Not saying all of them didn't deserve reds but come on, 16 reds in 42 games? That's a fucken joke