PDA

View Full Version : TFC top 10 players of first 10 seasons

Prof
03-10-2016, 01:44 PM
When I was in New York on the weekend they had a wall of their top 20 players in 20 years. Here are my TFC top 10 in 10 years.

Michael Bradley (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Bradley_(soccer))
Dwayne De Rosario (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwayne_De_Rosario)
Stefan Frei (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefan_Frei)
Torsten Frings (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torsten_Frings)
Sebastian Giovinco (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sebastian_Giovinco)
Amado Guevara (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amado_Guevara)
Carl Robinson (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Robinson)
Danny Dichio (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Dichio)
Jermain Defoe (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jermain_Defoe)
Danny Koevermans (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Koevermans)

RealG-TFC
03-10-2016, 02:03 PM
Had me until Defoe, taints the list.

Pint
03-10-2016, 02:11 PM
Tough list:

Defoe - doesn't deserve to be on that list

Morgan? - He is our all time appearance leader for the first decade of the franchise
Henry? - First signed from the academy and has moved onto one of the top leagues in the world

I guess it really depends on how one defines "Top 10"

Cas87
03-10-2016, 02:16 PM
Ryan Johnson?
Joao Plata?
Ashtone Morgan?
Doneil Henry?
Mo Edu?

Definitly Defoe off the list though.

CanadaLFC
03-10-2016, 02:28 PM
I did this for waking the red a little while ago.

It's a very subjective topic, so many will disagree.

http://www.wakingthered.com/2016/3/4/11163252/season-10-preview-top-10-players-in-toronto-fc-history-sebastian-giovinco-danny-dichio

Red4ever
03-10-2016, 02:32 PM
Defoe is on the list. Not sure how he couldnt be.

Plata over robbo, other than that i agree with OP

Fort York Redcoat
03-10-2016, 02:33 PM
What a weird list to make.

What a weird team history.

Yeah Defoe deserves the spot of 2014 but Ryan Johnson got 3 more goals than he did 2 yrs prior.

But that year Koevs got more accolades for 2 less.

I'm pretty sure this game is to look at the entirety of years and allows skipping a year or 2.

Shway
03-10-2016, 02:38 PM
In order....

1.Giovinco
2. De Rosario
3. Dichio
4. Guevara
5. Bradley
6. Frings
7. Henry
8. Koevermans
9. Frei
10. Brennan

Honourable mentions:
Morgan, Robinson, Eckersley

Fort York Redcoat
03-10-2016, 02:45 PM
In order....

1.Giovinco
2. De Rosario
3. Dichio
4. Guevara
5. Bradley
6. Frings
7. Henry
8. Koevermans
9. Frei
10. Brennan

Honourable mentions:

Interesting that Dichio is still that high. Love the guy but the older this team gets, the more one has to ignore the numbers and look at the sentimental.

kodiakTFC
03-10-2016, 02:45 PM
In order....

1.Giovinco
2. De Rosario
3. Dichio
4. Guevara
5. Bradley
6. Frings
7. Henry
8. Koevermans
9. Frei
10. Brennan

Honourable mentions:

Well done. I'd change the order a bit but overall great.

jloome
03-10-2016, 02:55 PM
Well done. I'd change the order a bit but overall great.

Ecks signed for Oldham Athletic this year; shame he wasn't in this TFC; if he'd maintained the discipline he had when he first arrived, in this team, he'd be a real asset.

eustacchio
03-10-2016, 03:03 PM
Eckersley would definitely make my list

T-boy
03-10-2016, 03:06 PM
It's upsetting that a "top ten" list is so difficult to make! After 5 players (that we can all pretty much agree on) we really are clutching at straws a little. Even Frings you could argue might not make the list - he was alright during his time but didn't do anything so spectacular that you can call him great at TFC. Frings did no better or worse than Cheyrou in his first season, and nobody would put him in their top ten.

A bottom ten might be easier to list! :p

Pint
03-10-2016, 03:12 PM
It's upsetting that a "top ten" list is so difficult to make! After 5 players (that we can all pretty much agree on) we really are clutching at straws a little. Even Frings you could argue might not make the list - he was alright during his time but didn't do anything so spectacular that you can call him great at TFC. Frings did no better or worse than Cheyrou in his first season, and nobody would put him in their top ten.

A bottom ten might be easier to list! :p

That would be a decisive list... i would never stop arguing that Freddy hall was/is/always will be the worst player we have ever signed.

eustacchio
03-10-2016, 03:13 PM
I don't know, I think a bottom ten might be even harder - though I'm sure we'll all agree on Cunningham and Garcia

OgtheDim
03-10-2016, 03:18 PM
Buzzfeed has warped all your minds.

eustacchio
03-10-2016, 03:21 PM
Buzzfeed has warped all your minds.

We know which former TFC player you should hang out with this weekend

Are you more Sebastian Giovinco or Jermaine Defoe?

OgtheDim
03-10-2016, 03:31 PM
20 TFC Defenders Who Did Better Somewhere Else, #15 Will Blow Your Mind

Cas87
03-10-2016, 03:44 PM
I don't know, I think a bottom ten might be even harder - though I'm sure we'll all agree on Cunningham and Garcia

Mista, Chris Pozniak, Jonas Elmer, Alen Stevanović, Adam Braz, Kevin Harmse

just to start

tictoc
03-10-2016, 03:56 PM
I'm just going to leave this here and quietly leave. The Top 10 discussion; although awesome, is a land mine. :)

http://www.rednationonline.ca/Articles2015/MyPerfect10PaulMarhue.aspx

Fort York Redcoat
03-10-2016, 04:12 PM
20 TFC Defenders Who Did Better Somewhere Else, #15 Will Blow Your Mind

I admit I hovered for a link.g:D

Fort York Redcoat
03-10-2016, 04:15 PM
That would be a decisive list... i would never stop arguing that Freddy hall was/is/always will be the worst player we have ever signed.

Worst at playing? Debatable, but worst as in hated has to be Ruiz.

Shway
03-10-2016, 04:17 PM
Even Frings you could argue might not make the list - he was alright during his time but didn't do anything so spectacular that you can call him great at TFC. Frings did no better or worse than Cheyrou in his first season, and nobody would put him in their :p

I think the list should take into consideration who and what they were too the team when they were playing. To compare Cheyrou to Frings IMO is incomparable considering Frings (captain, easily one of our best CDMs, moved to CB to fill a reoccurring hole, and was still creating chances from there) played many key roles during his time, that Benoit would not even be put in considering the quality around him.

MartinUtd
03-10-2016, 04:17 PM
Am I the only one who doesn't get the Dichio fetish on here? His accolades are a product of historically low standards.

Chevy
03-10-2016, 04:21 PM
Worst at playing? Debatable, but worst as in hated has to be Ruiz.

Close behind would be Lauren Robert.

jloome
03-10-2016, 04:26 PM
Mista, Chris Pozniak, Jonas Elmer, Alen Stevanović

just to start

I don't think Elmer ever started a game for us. Same with that Bermudian/Canadian kid Mo Johnston signed from Crescent or St. Mike's or somewhere as some favor to someone.

Marco Reda was truly terrible for us that first year; Freddy Hall is the worst professional goalkeeper I've ever seen and I've literally played against better high school keepers. Hall might be the worst pro player I've ever seen.

Julius James was a truly terrible defender at the MLS level. Obvious from his first day he wasn't going to make it, despite being a highly lauded pick.

Then there was the Colombian dude who didn't make it through camp, the defender who got beat on every deep ball. Can't remember his name.

MartinUtd
03-10-2016, 04:31 PM
Geovanny Caicedo?

Also can't forget about John Bostock, Adam Braz, Andrea Lombardo, Aaron Maund, and of course Andy Fucking Iro,

khso11
03-10-2016, 04:34 PM
Same with that Bermudian/Canadian kid Mo Johnston signed from Crescent or St. Mike's or somewhere as some favor to someone.

Kilian Elkinson

Then there was the Colombian dude who didn't make it through camp, the defender who got beat on every deep ball. Can't remember his name.

Geovanny Caicedo
edit: ^beat me to it

How can anybody forget Elbekay Bouchiba as well.

CanadaLFC
03-10-2016, 04:41 PM
Andrea Lombardo did so well, he earned himself a transfer to York University.

Blizzard
03-10-2016, 04:44 PM
Mista, Chris Pozniak, Jonas Elmer, Alen Stevanović

just to start

Pozniak does not belong in this category. He was no superstar but he was a useful utility man during that season playing three or four different positions and he was not a liability as such. Not a star but not an awful player either.

molenshtain
03-10-2016, 04:47 PM

where he is now working in the admissions office.

And Gabe Gala, his closest friend on the team, now works in real estate.

Those first couple years were pretty fucking insane looking back on it now.

ag futbol
03-10-2016, 04:50 PM
Frings was a great player in his day but I wouldn't put him on there based on his form with TFC.

I was trying to think of a few other alternatives but struggled. Plata, Morrow, maybe Morgan?

OgtheDim
03-10-2016, 04:53 PM
Pozniak does not belong in this category.

For this earworm alone, he gets off any list of anything involving TFC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mogjOnhMLC0

notthesun
03-10-2016, 04:54 PM
Kinda funny how this is turning into a "worst players" thread rather than "best players" (admittedly I think discussing the worst of the worst is a bit more fun). On that note, Andy Iro. Probably the worst CB I've ever seen. Obvious case of being promoted through the ranks just because of his size. No mind for the game, zero ball skills, and the agility of an oil tanker. And we traded Tchani to get him. :facepalm:

OgtheDim
03-10-2016, 04:57 PM
Anyways, 10 most competent players?

In no order

Dichio, Koevs, Bradley, Seba, Osorio, Morrow, Moor, Irwin, Johnson, Guevera

Yeah, I picked 3 guys who've played 1 game with us - think about what that means to the efficacy of any list involving this team.

Richard
03-10-2016, 05:01 PM
I'm kind of shocked to not see Laba on this list, he is still by far the best defensive midfielder this club has ever had.

ag futbol
03-10-2016, 05:08 PM
Kinda funny how this is turning into a "worst players" thread rather than "best players" (admittedly I think discussing the worst of the worst is a bit more fun). On that note, Andy Iro. Probably the worst CB I've ever seen. Obvious case of being promoted through the ranks just because of his size. No mind for the game, zero ball skills, and the agility of an oil tanker. And we traded Tchani to get him. :facepalm:
Diaz Cambere (if that counts). He was a 2008 one game signing from the whitecaps in the days of scattered MLS rosters.

From where I sat in the south stands he looked like a track star someone accidentally put a soccer ball in front of. He played RB, do not believe he completed a pass in his time on the field, was frequently out of position. Of course minimal training with your teammates doesn't help - but I got the feeling they could have pulled a few guys out of the stands that could play better.

In terms of more regular players that were awful? Adam Braz was pretty bad, Lombardo was in over his head, and Andy Welsh was resoundingly useless. I might have to go with Welsh given the amount of underserved opportunities he had to be on the field. It was like watching a limp wristed 14 year old get blown by on each end of the field and whiff crosses into the stands.

Adamo23
03-10-2016, 05:55 PM
All time XI Before the 2015 season is

Frei
Brennan
Cann
Henry
Wynne
Edu
Frings
De Guzman
De Rosario
Dichio
Koevermans

Please give your opinion and say who you think should have made the list

molenshtain
03-10-2016, 06:59 PM
All time XI Before the 2015 season is

Frei
Brennan
Cann
Henry
Wynne
Edu
Frings
De Guzman
De Rosario
Dichio
Koevermans

switch Cann with Marshall, De Guzman with Robo. Otherwise I think that's pretty accurate.

portu
03-10-2016, 07:10 PM
For this earworm alone, he gets off any list of anything involving TFC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mogjOnhMLC0
Holy shit this ad, I loved this ad

OgtheDim
03-10-2016, 07:21 PM

Are you looking for content for a blog or something?

Auzzy
03-10-2016, 07:53 PM
Here's the thing with "TFC top 10 players of first 10 seasons," as well as with "bottom 10" -- there are so many ways to define these things. Just a few ways:
- Individual quality of play while at TFC?
- Impact on play at TFC? E.g., someone who played longer at TFC, or who had memorable moments (positive or negative), will score higher this way. (Like Dichio with the first goal; or Ruiz with the Gatorade jug.)
- Overall quality of a player throughout their career? (E.g., Frings; even Defoe.)
- Performance at TFC relative to expectations or salary? (Why players like Defoe or Mista get downgraded.)

And of course it's a team sport. Our opinion of a players is coloured by the overall success (or general malaise) of the team while they were here. (Perhaps one reason Mo Edu didn't make anybody's list.)

BTW I would want Laba on a "top 10" list, but he only played 16 games for TFC...

Alixir
03-10-2016, 08:32 PM
1. Conor Casey

Initial B
03-10-2016, 08:33 PM
I don't see how you could have a worst list that does not have the following Top 3:

1. Tom Anselmi
2. Mo Johnston
3. Earl Cochrane

THEY are the reason for the first 7 years of ineptitude.

jloome
03-10-2016, 08:43 PM
Kilian Elkinson

Geovanny Caicedo
edit: ^beat me to it

How can anybody forget Elbekay Bouchiba as well.

Yeah, that was a Winter special, if I recall. Like Elmer I don't think he ever actually played for us. They paid him to sit injured for a year, then released him.

khso11
03-10-2016, 08:57 PM
Yeah, that was a Winter special, if I recall. Like Elmer I don't think he ever actually played for us. They paid him to sit injured for a year, then released him.

I wonder what was really going on behind the scenes back then.

Jpexxx
03-10-2016, 09:18 PM
Im just gunna do a top 10 personal favourites (No active players):

1. De Rosario
2. Brennan
3. Guevara
4. Kouvermans
5. Frings
6. Frei
7. C. Robinson
8. R. Johnson
9. Plata
10. Serioux

jloome
03-10-2016, 09:53 PM
I wonder what was really going on behind the scenes back then.

There have been a few telling signs that there are a lot of side deals and side money exchanging hands in MLS; during the whole Phil. Union lawsuit against Nowak, it was mentioned that Shep Messing, the former keeper and NYRB broadcaster, had some role in brokering players; we've also heard that Preki's brother was cutting deals here and in Sacramento, and Mariner had some deal to consult in Bermuda, where Hall was from. I believe Elkinson's family was rich and from there, too, and it makes you wonder.

All sorts of weirdness, and that's before we get to the fact that Mo and Earl signed most of our players for three years through just a couple of agents.

khso11
03-10-2016, 10:28 PM
There have been a few telling signs that there are a lot of side deals and side money exchanging hands in MLS; during the whole Phil. Union lawsuit against Nowak, it was mentioned that Shep Messing, the former keeper and NYRB broadcaster, had some role in brokering players; we've also heard that Preki's brother was cutting deals here and in Sacramento, and Mariner had some deal to consult in Bermuda, where Hall was from. I believe Elkinson's family was rich and from there, too, and it makes you wonder.

All sorts of weirdness, and that's before we get to the fact that Mo and Earl signed most of our players for three years through just a couple of agents.

Man, the shocking thing is the league might be part of these deals as well.

flatpicker
03-10-2016, 10:50 PM
I just can't believe it's been 10 years!
What???

portu
03-11-2016, 01:04 AM
Personal Favourites:
1. De Rosario
2. Henry
3. Giovinco
4. Osorio
5. Koevermans

Auzzy
03-11-2016, 01:27 AM

Nope, Geovanny Caicedo was apparently an "Anti-Aron Winter" special. I just found the interview with John Molinaro: http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/toronto-fc-aron-winter-paul-mariner-earl-cochrane/

"But Winter paints a different picture, claiming that Mariner and Cochrane had greater influence than they’re letting on. As an example, he pointed to the acquisition of Geovanny Caicedo, a defender from Ecuador, who the club signed in January but parted company with two months later before he even played in a regular season game.

Caicedo wasn't up to snuff and Winter didn't want to bring him in at all, but he claims it was done at the behest of Cochrane. Several other questionable trade deals and prospective player signings presented by Cochrane and Mariner were turned down by Winter."

khso11
03-11-2016, 04:36 AM
Nope, Geovanny Caicedo was apparently an "Anti-Aron Winter" special. I just found the interview with John Molinaro: http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/toronto-fc-aron-winter-paul-mariner-earl-cochrane/

jloome was talking about Elbekay Bouchiba, but surely Caicedo was anti-Winter.

Auzzy
03-11-2016, 05:46 AM
jloome was talking about Elbekay Bouchiba, but surely Caicedo was anti-Winter.

Oh good point, I mis-read jloome's post. I don't forget many TFC players, but I totally forgot about Elbekay Bouchiba!

PS It seems that Bouchiba hasn't played anywhere professionally since he was released by TFC in early 2012 at the age of 32.

khso11
03-11-2016, 06:26 AM
Oh good point, I mis-read jloome's post. I don't forget many TFC players, but I totally forgot about Elbekay Bouchiba!

PS It seems that Bouchiba hasn't played anywhere professionally since he was released by TFC in early 2012 at the age of 32.

The amount of players that have played for us, it’s easy to let one or two slip through.

Personally I think Bouchiba is already done before signing with us.

TFC Tifoso
03-11-2016, 07:57 AM
Interesting that Dichio is still that high. Love the guy but the older this team gets, the more one has to ignore the numbers and look at the sentimental.

Am I the only one who doesn't get the Dichio fetish on here? His accolades are a product of historically low standards.

Dichio was a productive player on some very poor teams.....expected because TFC was just starting out, but you can't even look at numbers alone, because he offered more than that imo.....hold up play, football smarts, etc.....he was the key to our offence in our early years and the fact that we were never able to replace his classic #9 style should show why he is/was a "top 10" player of our history.....

here's a question....plop Dichio in the team we have now (ie. playing the #9 next to Seba) and what kind of numbers do you think he'll have......better than Altidore?.....I definitely think so.....those two would've been unstoppable together!!.....granted, having a talent like Seba next to him would be a cause for the better numbers, but great players make each other better too....and to me Altidore doesn't necessarily make Seba "better", but I think Dichio would.....

anyways, here's my 10 in no order.....
Giovinco
Robbo
Guevara
Dichio
Koevermans
DeRo
Bradley
Frings
Brennan
Morrow

Fort York Redcoat
03-11-2016, 09:24 AM
Dichio was a productive player on some very poor teams.....expected because TFC was just starting out, but you can't even look at numbers alone, because he offered more than that imo.....hold up play, football smarts, etc.....he was the key to our offence in our early years and the fact that we were never able to replace his classic #9 style should show why he is/was a "top 10" player of our history.....

here's a question....plop Dichio in the team we have now (ie. playing the #9 next to Seba) and what kind of numbers do you think he'll have......better than Altidore?.....I definitely think so.....those two would've been unstoppable together!!.....granted, having a talent like Seba next to him would be a cause for the better numbers, but great players make each other better too....and to me Altidore doesn't necessarily make Seba "better", but I think Dichio would.....

anyways, here's my 10 in no order.....
Giovinco
Robbo
Guevara
Dichio
Koevermans
DeRo
Bradley
Frings
Brennan
Morrow

I got the shirt at home and love the guy for what he did at the time but there are things to look at now as we exhume those first years (for fun):

2007:

Altidore's 2nd year at Red Bulls he gets 9 on a team that has the 2nd place scorer Angel with 19
Robbie Findley has 8
Chad Barrett has 7
Carlos Ruiz is tied with Barrett
Then DeRo still at Houston with 6
Ties Dichio's 6

There are tonnes of comparisons to make and NONE of them are exact apples to apples, I concede that. But that 2007 team had a Cunningham that scored 3 when the year before he won the boot with 16!

When we look at "plopping" players from a certain year into some other year that just could've worked if all the chemistry and health worked perfectly, sure, we can imagine the best ever 10.

Fort York Redcoat
03-11-2016, 10:03 AM
I don't see how you could have a worst list that does not have the following Top 3:

1. Tom Anselmi
2. Mo Johnston
3. Earl Cochrane

groan.

Fort York Redcoat
03-11-2016, 10:11 AM
I'm kind of shocked to not see Laba on this list, he is still by far the best defensive midfielder this club has ever had.

As I'm sure you're aware, he's about to pass his 62 apps for Argentinos Juniors with VWFC. Special day for his fans.:rolleyes:g:D

But, hey, Beitashour may help us out in the back, no?

Now if young Hellmann gets to the first team and starts lighting it up for VAN then I'll be miffed!

TFC Tifoso
03-11-2016, 10:37 AM
I got the shirt at home and love the guy for what he did at the time but there are things to look at now as we exhume those first years (for fun):

2007:

Altidore's 2nd year at Red Bulls he gets 9 on a team that has the 2nd place scorer Angel with 19
Robbie Findley has 8
Chad Barrett has 7
Carlos Ruiz is tied with Barrett
Then DeRo still at Houston with 6
Ties Dichio's 6

There are tonnes of comparisons to make and NONE of them are exact apples to apples, I concede that. But that 2007 team had a Cunningham that scored 3 when the year before he won the boot with 16!

When we look at "plopping" players from a certain year into some other year that just could've worked if all the chemistry and health worked perfectly, sure, we can imagine the best ever 10.

I totally get that, but to me that's what these lists essentially are.....picking the individual players who have wore our shirt and imagining what it would be like if they'd played TOGETHER......that's why I make the point of how Dichio and Seba would play off of each other......there'd be no combo like it imo.....not that we've seen in our shirt anyways.....

even Dichio's 6 in 2007 is a feat considering that he is just within a couple of goals from other former TFC strikers that year playing on an expansion team.....

Fort York Redcoat
03-11-2016, 10:41 AM
I totally get that, but to me that's what these lists essentially are.....picking the individual players who have wore our shirt and imagining what it would be like if they'd played TOGETHER......that's why I make the point of how Dichio and Seba would play off of each other......there'd be no combo like it imo.....not that we've seen in our shirt anyways.....

even Dichio's 6 in 2007 is a feat considering that he is just within a couple of goals from other former TFC strikers that year playing on an expansion team.....

Yes man. Totally get that this game is all imagination. Just sayin' my take above would've made an interesting TFC in 2007 if all pistons were firing instead of our team aquiring the same talent later.

Fort York Redcoat
03-11-2016, 10:44 AM

where he is now working in the admissions office.

And Gabe Gala, his closest friend on the team, now works in real estate.

Those first couple years were pretty fucking insane looking back on it now.

Yeah but they also a product of the time. MLS reserves went the way of the dodo and it took us years here to fill the gap they could've fell into.

TFC Accies wouldn't have helped them but if the Toonies were around...who knows?

Blizzard
03-11-2016, 11:32 AM

I think people want to forget that we lost him.

TFC Tifoso
03-11-2016, 11:37 AM
Yes man. Totally get that this game is all imagination. Just sayin' my take above would've made an interesting TFC in 2007 if all pistons were firing instead of our team aquiring the same talent later.

it sure would've.....but then again who knows how the others would've paired up with a guy like Seba....

besides, we would only be able to play 2 at a time....unless we used Cantona's 1-1-8 g:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgikZr2iKq8

Fort York Redcoat
03-11-2016, 12:14 PM
And I can't remember who mentioned Conor Casey but damn. Looking back now is just hilarious.

He whines he wants to go home and we take Ryan O'Neill who doesn't play a game for us. Colorado get only 2 goals out of him, One less than Herculez Gomez who just comes back to MLS from the minors and only one more than Jacob Peterson. Not even mentioning their draft pick Nick Labrocca.

Oh what a funny game.

JuliquE
03-11-2016, 12:39 PM
Mista
Top avatar, that! Where does one acquire such swag?!

Never forget, btw (how 'bout that assist from Raivs Hscabcdefghijklmnopqurstuvwxyz?):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IA9BStKYmS8

I think the list should take into consideration who and what they were too the team when they were playing. To compare Cheyrou to Frings IMO is incomparable considering Frings (captain, easily one of our best CDMs, moved to CB to fill a reoccurring hole, and was still creating chances from there) played many key roles during his time, that Benoit would not even be put in considering the quality around him.
If we're going by what the player meant to the club, it's got to be Tal Ben Haim—hands down!

http://www.torontofc.ca/post/2013/05/09/tal-ben-haim-toronto

Cas87
03-11-2016, 12:44 PM
Top avatar, that! Where does one acquire such swag?!

Never forget, btw (how 'bout that assist from Raivs Hscabcdefghijklmnopqurstuvwxyz?):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IA9BStKYmS8

If we're going by what the player meant to the club, it's got to be Tal Ben Haim—hands down!

http://www.torontofc.ca/post/2013/05/09/tal-ben-haim-toronto

Great Minds think alike! g:D

Tal Ben Hain!!! I completely forgot he was (on paper) a member of TFC.

MartinUtd
03-11-2016, 01:34 PM
Dichio was a productive player on some very poor teams

I've never heard a Preston North End supporter say anything good about his time there. I'm not trying to shit on the guy, I'm just saying he falls right into that Toronto 'no skill/high work rate' fandom that seems to span all sports. Fact is he scored a goal every 285 minutes throughout his career and was only fractionally better at TFC.

TFC Tifoso
03-11-2016, 02:03 PM
I've never heard a Preston North End supporter say anything good about his time there. I'm not trying to shit on the guy, I'm just saying he falls right into that Toronto 'no skill/high work rate' fandom that seems to span all sports. Fact is he scored a goal every 285 minutes throughout his career and was only fractionally better at TFC.

by "very poor teams" I meant during his time with TFC, not in general.....look, I'm not so delusional to believe he was a clone of van Basten, but to me its very lazy to lump him in the "no skill/high work rate" category.....he was a good player for a bad team, nothing more or less.....he'd have done much better on a team like we have now, and I don't know how anyone can exclude him from the top 10 that we've had here......if you're putting that list in order, where he falls is defintely up for debate (he'd fall somewhere between 4-6 for me)....but he's gotta be in there.....

MartinUtd
03-11-2016, 02:42 PM
C'monnnn top 10 players? He's barely a top 10 striker on this team.

1. Giovinco
2. De Rosario (because he was basically a striker for us)
3. Kouvermans
4. Defoe
5. Altidore
6. Johnson
7. Barrett

And now take your pick between Dichio, Earnshaw, Santos, Gilberto and Gordon

TFC Tifoso
03-11-2016, 02:58 PM

1. Giovinco
3. Kouvermans
4. Defoe
5. Altidore
6. Johnson
7. Barrett

difference of opinion what else can I say.....I'd definitely rate him higher than your 5-7....based on stats alone though, you could make a case for Johnson.....Altidore's success in MLS to me has as much to do with the players he got to play with (JPA in NY and Seba here, arguably the best players in MLS for the times - which is why I make the case of being able to drop Dichio in today's team with Seba; 2007-08 Dichio would imo be AT LEAST as productive as Altidore).....and Barrett is just ugh, sure he scored some (not much of a better strike rate than Dichio), but missed way to many to be considered a "best of" here.....

Mr. Bigby
03-11-2016, 03:46 PM

You had to be there...g:D I'll always remember the blizzard of seat cushions onto the field!

mowe
03-11-2016, 03:59 PM
Personal Favourites:
1. De Rosario
2. Henry
3. Giovinco
4. Osorio
5. Koevermans

Pretty much my list as well.

MartinUtd
03-11-2016, 05:34 PM
You had to be there...g:D I'll always remember the blizzard of seat cushions onto the field!

I was there... first five seasons for every game barring one or two. I still don't see anything other than nostalgia.

Mateo1985
03-11-2016, 10:00 PM
When I was in New York on the weekend they had a wall of their top 20 players in 20 years. Here are my TFC top 10 in 10 years.

Michael Bradley (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Bradley_(soccer))Dwayne De Rosario (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwayne_De_Rosario)

hey Prof, it was awesome to meet you on megabus. It was hilarious how we run around buffalo looking for a bar even though our bus stopped there for only half an hour. Also, you gotta tell me how that vodka replaced by water ended up lol

TOBOR !
03-12-2016, 02:26 AM
Collin Samuel?

I'll get my pie.

Mr. Bigby
03-12-2016, 05:26 PM
I was there... first five seasons for every game barring one or two. I still don't see anything other than nostalgia.

Could be nostalgia, could be emotion, could be the fact that, during a time when we had some really terrible players, DD seemed to give us someone to focus on. We knew he wasn't the most skillful. God knows he wasn't the fastest! But he never gave up and he wore his heart on his sleeve for the team.

tfcleeds
03-13-2016, 09:55 AM
Wow, it's scary how many awful players have come through this club! You'd be hard pressed to only come up with 10. Maxim Usanov, Gianluca Zavarise, Eddy Viator, Matt Stinson, Dasan Robinson, Paulo Nagamura (decent enough in MLS, but screw him since he didn't want to be here a la Casey, Mulrooney, etc.), Raivis Hscanovics...the names just go on and on.

JuliquE
03-13-2016, 01:26 PM
Great Minds think alike! g:D
Would be elated to see the club adopt this variant of the badge to mark 20/25 years; wouldn't know what to do with myself to find out my touch-ups have seen me forever stitched into the fabric of our beloved club.:stogey:

Alonso
03-13-2016, 02:07 PM

1. Tom Anselmi
2. Mo Johnston
3. Earl Cochrane

The three stooges who ruined TFC

Tom Anselmi bought a whole bunch of fans beers at the Skydome CCL game a few years back.

I refused to take one.

JuliquE
03-13-2016, 05:11 PM
The three stooges who ruined TFC

Tom Anselmi bought a whole bunch of fans beers at the Skydome CCL game a few years back.

I refused to take one.
You the real MVP.

Alonso
03-13-2016, 05:23 PM
You the real MVP.

LOL

All I meant was that I despise the guy so much that I turned down a free beer from him.

Free beer is hard to refuse no?

MVP is a bit much.

MVP of what I might ask?

trane
03-15-2016, 12:25 PM

Michael Bradley (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Bradley_(soccer))Dwayne De Rosario (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwayne_De_Rosario)

I thought I responded to this already. But I guess there was some glitch. But I have to say that I agree with this list completely. Stefan Frei is the only one that I may have taken out but I cannot say that you are wrong.

trane
03-15-2016, 12:30 PM
Dichio was a great target man for us, who scored some good goals. He created changes, he knocked the ball down, and spread it around nicely. He was not fast but he played his position very well. For a low skilled team he was a perfect CF, and even on the team today, him playing in front of Seba would produce allot of quality chances.

trane
03-15-2016, 12:39 PM

1. Giovinco
3. Kouvermans
4. Defoe
5. Altidore
6. Johnson
7. Barrett

Hahahahahahahahhahaha. You would take "I cannot hit a barn even if I am standing two feet from it" Barret over Dichio, what were you smoking in the first 5 years of TFC???? You can argue the first five, but you are comparing a pure target man/CF with AM/SS types, in Giovinco, De Rosario and Defoe, Kouvermans, Altidore and Dichio are more of the same kind of 9 players. Kouvermans and Altidore were/are better finishers, but Dichio was better at getting to ball. holding it, passing it to runners, and with his head.

TFC Tifoso
03-15-2016, 01:27 PM
Hahahahahahahahhahaha. You would take "I cannot hit a barn even if I am standing two feet from it" Barret over Dichio, what were you smoking in the first 5 years of TFC???? You can argue the first five, but you are comparing a pure target man/CF with AM/SS types, in Giovinco, De Rosario and Defoe, Kouvermans, Altidore and Dichio are more of the same kind of 9 players. Kouvermans and Altidore were/are better finishers, but Dichio was better at getting to ball. holding it, passing it to runners, and with his head.

not necessarily......Altidore needs maybe another season to have a true sample size, but Dichio's strike rate (14 G for 31 SOG, 48%) was actually better than Koev's (17 G for 41 SOG, 41%)......I agree with you on the rest of Dichio's assets......admittedly I'm not one to look STRICTLY at numbers, but those are the stats.....imo both Koev and Dichio are definitely in our Top 10 up to now....

jabbronies
03-15-2016, 02:52 PM
I think people want to forget that we lost him.

Based on performance for the club, I would replace Frings with Laba.
And this is coming from a Frings fan!

PopePouri
03-15-2016, 04:19 PM

1. Tom Anselmi
2. Mo Johnston
3. Earl Cochrane

Where's Mariner?

Richard
03-15-2016, 04:22 PM
Where's Mariner?

Mariner was the symptom, those guys were the virus.

PopePouri
03-15-2016, 04:30 PM
Mariner was the symptom, those guys were the virus.

I'd argue that Mariner was worse than Mo and Cochrane. He left the club in such a mess after the 2012 season. His scouting, overpaid players and salary cap management bit us in the ass two years after he was gone.

AdamAM
03-15-2016, 08:44 PM
How sad is it that Altidore is the only one of our 3 current DP's not on any list? I know the dude has been injured but he really needs to step his game up.

Fort York Redcoat
03-16-2016, 09:05 AM
How sad is it that Altidore is the only one of our 3 current DP's not on any list? I know the dude has been injured but he really needs to step his game up.

Sad but Mista and DeGuzman are a sadder story. Not worried yet. We're talking all time here.

Hamilton_Red
03-18-2016, 03:39 AM
Frings took us to the CONCACaF CL semi finals...the guy was one of the top three we've had. He dropped into a CB role in a way that Bradley never could when it was really needed. I have no love for Koevermans - think a few had rose coloured glasses with him. Plata was one of the biggest mistakes we made letting him go. Defoe - nope not a legend. Frei - was our DP fora couple of seasons - carried the team.

JuliquE
03-19-2016, 04:06 PM
LOL

All I meant was that I despise the guy so much that I turned down a free beer from him.

Free beer is hard to refuse no?

MVP is a bit much.

MVP of what I might ask?
Just referencing this meme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH-7083VqdU

It was just exactly how I would have reacted, so I had to applaud you (not to look down on anyone who accepted a beer, mind).

Heart of Stone
03-19-2016, 08:57 PM
I never accepted a beer from Tom Ass-salami but was please to get a few from Tim L.