PDA

View Full Version : TFC 2016 In-Season player moves/speculation/rumours/etc.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Oldtimer
03-06-2016, 05:05 PM
Now with the season started, it's time to start a new thread.

Post your speculation/information/etc. here in this thread!

Confirmed (by traditional media or the club) signings get a separate single thread in the "News" section. All other "inside" and other information goes here.

portu
03-08-2016, 03:04 PM
Just acquired GAM and an international roster spot from Seattle for TAM... International signing coming? Better be a striker

molenshtain
03-08-2016, 03:10 PM
Don't know what the international spot does for us. Pretty sure we already have two open. Either way, good asset.

leafsman
03-08-2016, 03:12 PM
TFC traded away the spot

molenshtain
03-08-2016, 03:13 PM
That makes sense then.

dantdot
03-08-2016, 03:13 PM
To be clear, we sent them the spot and TAM for GAM. An MLS trade if I've ever seen one.

notthesun
03-08-2016, 03:14 PM
Just acquired GAM and an international roster spot from Seattle for TAM... International signing coming? Better be a striker

Correction, we sent an international roster spot to Seattle along with TAM. Receiving GAM in return.

My guess as to what's happening: Grant Wahl reported earlier today (http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2016/03/08/usa-ecuador-bolivia-copa-america-seattle-sounders-totti-roma) Seattle is looking to fill their DP hole with a playmaking attacker. So that answers the question of why they wanted TAM and an international slot.

On our end, I think Bez is most likely looking to sign a forward to fix our depth up there. We likely have enough international slots already. We probably received a bit more in GAM than we gave up in TAM since we threw in that slot for Seattle. So my guess is we sign a veteran forward on a short contract (1 or 2 years) using our remaining TAM to buy him down, and the GAM we receive in this trade is used to buy down someone else's contract (e.g. someone like Johnson or Perquis) in order to create enough cap room to add the TAM signing (TAM signings can only be bought down as far as 150k for a cap hit, so you need at least that much space to add one).

Frings22
03-08-2016, 03:16 PM
^ It's the opposite of what you said portu.
Toronto FC announced Tuesday that the club has acquired GAM (General Allocation Money) from Seattle Sounders FC in exchange for TAM (Targeted Allocation Money) and an international roster spot.
TRANSACTION: Toronto FC acquires GAM (General Allocation Money) from Seattle Sounders FC in exchange for TAM (Targeted Allocation Money) and an international roster spot.on Monday, March 7, 2016."

reggie
03-08-2016, 03:20 PM
so we now hv 2 intl slots left?

ManUtd4ever
03-08-2016, 03:42 PM
Must be a player incoming that won't earn enough to qualify for TAM to be utilized, but enough that we need to pay down the salary with GAM.

At least, I think that's what it means, lol.

mowe
03-08-2016, 04:21 PM
I think we just needed some allocation to be cap compliant. TAM can't be used on players making less than the max cap hit.

OgtheDim
03-08-2016, 04:32 PM
I think we just needed some allocation to be cap compliant. TAM can't be used on players making less than the max cap hit.

I thought cap compliance was necessary by last week.

notthesun
03-08-2016, 04:41 PM
I thought cap compliance was necessary by last week.

It was, but then again, MLS tossed NYCFC a free international slot so that they could be roster compliant, so honestly who the hell knows. Maybe we're trying to pay off one of Moore's or Gomez' hits, or both, maybe we're over the cap and the league nudged us saying "we'll let this slide for now but you better do something about it soon", or maybe they just shrugged and wiped those contracts off the books and now we're looking to add someone else. We don't know what goes on behind closed doors besides the fact that something is definitely going on, so at a certain point you just have to forget about trying to make sense of things and just see what happens.

Areathrasher
03-08-2016, 05:37 PM
It could be that the transaction was made last week and they just announced it today.

flamehawk
03-08-2016, 05:40 PM
https://twitter.com/ENBSports/status/707331404988813312

Aaron Nielsen is hinting that it may be a Canadian we sign with this deal. My guess: Junior Hoilett, whose contract expires in Summer.

notthesun
03-08-2016, 05:47 PM

Aaron Nielsen is hinting that it may be a Canadian we sign with this deal. My guess: Junior Hoilett, whose contract expires in Summer.

This... could actually work. He slots right in at RW over Endoh with everyone healthy, LW if Giovinco or Altidore are missing.

I'm not sure what kind of wage he would demand though.

noimpactinmtl
03-08-2016, 05:57 PM

Reports on Google shows Hoilett's wages are 2.6 million pounds. Even if it's a free transfer, not sure if Hoilett is open to a significant wage reduction to play for Toronto.

JoeM
03-08-2016, 07:02 PM
Hoilett would be great and all....but don't we desperately need a striker? I know people think that Babouli and Hamilton should get any extra playing time "because Canadian". But maybe we should get an experienced striker? Especially since Jozy and Seba will be missing quite a few games this year.

ryan
03-08-2016, 07:13 PM
Reports on Google shows Hoilett's wages are 2.6 million pounds. Even if it's a free transfer, not sure if Hoilett is open to a significant wage reduction to play for Toronto.

Maybe use allocation to bump him way up for the 2nd half of the year, then move out Jozy and make him a DP the year after should it work out well? IDK

Bobo
03-08-2016, 07:16 PM
If TFC is going Canadian, I'd say Simeon Jackson is more likely than Hoilett at this point. CF who is much more affordable, also with an expiring contract.

Smokecell
03-08-2016, 07:19 PM
If it's a Canadian my guess is Tesho. Won't start at Dallas and would work out wide for us on either side. Only thing is I'm not sure what we could offer Dallas other than draft pics.

Pint
03-08-2016, 07:32 PM
Depending on salary we could be bringing in hoilett this year (half year) and using TAM to buy him down considering we have at least 800k in TAM for next year which we can't have touched yet.

gmacpheetfc
03-08-2016, 07:34 PM
I think his form has been too good lately to consider a move to mls (Hoilett)

Ultra & Proud
03-08-2016, 07:55 PM
If TFC is going Canadian, I'd say Simeon Jackson is more likely than Hoilett at this point. CF who is much more affordable, also with an expiring contract.
Problem with him is that he is terrible. If getting a CF who can score some goals is the plan then Jackson isn't the guy.

For me, I'd be happy with an experienced winger, preferably one comfortable on either side.

Pint
03-08-2016, 08:00 PM
Problem with him is that he is terrible. If getting a CF who can score some goals is the plan then Jackson isn't the guy.

For me, I'd be happy with an experienced winger, preferably one comfortable on either side.

Well we all know who plays on the left or plays on the right...

rydermike
03-08-2016, 08:11 PM
An MLS trade if I've ever seen one.

Best description ever. Only in the MLS can we generate this much discussion, when nothing (yet alot at the same time) happened.
TFC and Seattle went to the Bank of MLS, only instead of exchanging $CDN for $USD, its GAM for TAM

Greatest Ripoff
03-09-2016, 02:00 AM

I was Blackburn a few weeks ago and saw Jackson play. He looked pretty good.

ag futbol
03-09-2016, 09:25 AM

Agreed. All due respect to Jackson but he is not what we need here.

Would much prefer if we just signed the best player out there rather than stuck to the pool of Canadians. Something is up though with these signings. WJ in Toronto, Fraiser Aird in Vancouver.... They seem out of the ordinary. League must be pushing for these.

molenshtain
03-09-2016, 09:29 AM

Would much prefer if we just signed the best player out there rather than stuck to the pool of Canadians. Something is up though with these signings. WJ in Toronto, Fraiser Aird in Vancouver.... They seem out of the ordinary. League must be pushing for these.

What? Johnson chose to come here over going to chicago. Those were his two options. The league had nothing to do with it.

And Aird was viewed as a half-decent, versatile, cheap loan signing for a team that stockpiles guys like that. I think you're reading into things too much.

Pint
03-09-2016, 09:32 AM

Or they are realizing that the marketplace wants a strong Canadian content. By no means am I someone who wants to sign Canadians for the sake of signing Canadians but when/if our top national team players come available I would hope we are in the mix for them if they fit our system. Hoilett/Atiba are guys I would love to see in red.

Areathrasher
03-09-2016, 09:59 AM
Toronto FC GM Tim Bezbatchenko, while restricted by league rules on disclosure of allocation money specifics, said the transaction with Seattle gives his team more options. It allows TFC to be salary compliant while positioning the team to have flexibility down the road.
As for trading the international spot, that leaves Toronto with seven. It currently is only using five on Italy's Sebastian Giovinco, Japan's Tsubasa Endoh and France's Benoit Cheyrou, Damien Perquis and Clement Simonin.
Seattle had run out of international spots at signing St. Vincent & the Grenadines forward Oalex Anderson last week. It may also be looking to add another elite player in the wake of the departure of DP forward Obafemi Martins.
Bezbatchenko, meanwhile, said the club is not looking at this time to add to its strike force despite the departure of reserve forwards Luke Moore and Herculez Gomez.
"The first eight games for us is more about being sound defensively," he said, referencing the team's lengthy opening road trip due to ongoing renovations at BMO Field. "We do think we have weapons offensively.
"Do we have the necessary depth? Perhaps not as much as in the defence now in terms of number of bodies but we do think we have people who can score. Certainly once we get Jozy (Altidore) back which we expect is not going to be a longterm situation.
"So I don't think anything is imminent but certainly we're looking there."

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/toronto-fc-strikes-deal-with-seattle-sounders-exchanging-allocation-money-371460071.html

ManUtd4ever
03-09-2016, 10:17 AM
So Babouli and Hamilton are going to be our reserve strikers for now. If Giovinco and Altidore stay healthy, it won't be an issue if the kids play sheltered minutes, but this situation needs to be addressed at some point prior to the international call ups.

Joe Kool
03-09-2016, 10:32 AM
Reading Bez's comments it definitely seems like TFC are hoping to use a little luck in keeping our attacking players healthy and focusing more on clean sheets in the opening part of the season. Time will tell if that gamble pays off. I really hope Altidore can stay healthy for a stretch to at least build up some points before we start losing players to international duty.

notthesun
03-09-2016, 10:33 AM
We'll probably add an international veteran striker in the summer window.

ag futbol
03-09-2016, 11:04 AM
What? Johnson chose to come here over going to chicago. Those were his two options. The league had nothing to do with it.

And Aird was viewed as a half-decent, versatile, cheap loan signing for a team that stockpiles guys like that. I think you're reading into things too much.
Look at the bigger picture of the the number of USMNT guys who have come back in the last couple of years. Do these signings make sense? To a certain degree, but I think Aird is a little off the map in terms of options and WJ coming to Toronto is made easier by his national team profile. Food for thought.

Or they are realizing that the marketplace wants a strong Canadian content. By no means am I someone who wants to sign Canadians for the sake of signing Canadians but when/if our top national team players come available I would hope we are in the mix for them if they fit our system. Hoilett/Atiba are guys I would love to see in red.
I like both those players but in a MLS cap environment it's hard to make sense out of those signings. And agreed, that's what I was getting at in my post - they see national team players as a way to increase the profile of the teams / league.

Ruffian
03-09-2016, 11:11 AM

I doubt Hoilett will get anything close to that now. When he got that contract he was much younger with a lot more upside and was scoring in the Premier league. The contract at that time was also a gamble overpaying hoping he could become a great striker.

reggie
03-09-2016, 11:18 AM
i think bez is playing a dangerous game here...with the lack of depth up front.

molenshtain
03-09-2016, 11:47 AM

If the club wants the young guys to contribute, and they have trust in their ability to compete at his level (which it seems like they do), then there's no better opportunity to get their feet wet then during this 8 game road trip. Expectations are low - they only expect 5 points from the next 7 games - so they won't be under much pressure to perform.

It still sounds like we're making moves when the summer window opens. The club just doesn't want to wreck itself by making an impulse buy to fill the depth chart and lock up our cap space when it's not totally necessary. Smart move in my opinion.

reggie
03-09-2016, 12:03 PM
why do we have such low standards with this club...lets bunker down for 8 games and hopefully we will get 2 wins and 2 ties?
we have the highest payroll in the league.

Joe Kool
03-09-2016, 12:11 PM
why do we have such low standards with this club...lets bunker down for 8 games and hopefully we will get 2 wins and 2 ties?

That is what bugged me from Bez's comments. It sounded like that was the mentality going by what he said. Not sure if that was what he meant or maybe it came out wrong.

molenshtain
03-09-2016, 12:15 PM

1) come on. How many times do we as a group that we can't talk about payroll like it has anything to do with the majority of the roster. We play by the same rules as everyone else.
2) 8 points from 8 away games is statistically a very impressive record in this league. The average points from away games in this league is less then 1 PG. So 8 points from 8 games is a pretty fair standard, all things considered.
3) letting kids play games with low pressure and expectations isn't setting a low bar, it's practical.

reggie
03-09-2016, 12:43 PM
i respect your passion and opinion on this,but bez is always playing catch up with the cap.throwing good money out the door with his mistakes.

molenshtain
03-09-2016, 12:45 PM
you understand he's built one of the best organizations in the league from scratch, right?

reggie
03-09-2016, 12:52 PM
if you say so...we shall see.this thread is about player movement,so lets leave it at that.

OgtheDim
03-09-2016, 12:59 PM

The depth up front along the front 3 is a bit more then people realise
(not in order)

Seba
Jozy
Endoh
Lovitz
Hamilton
Babouli
Osorio
Delgado

We are not playing a 4-4-2.

molenshtain
03-09-2016, 01:00 PM
And Chapman^

C.Ronaldo
03-09-2016, 02:33 PM
The depth up front along the front 3 is a bit more then people realise
(not in order)

Seba
Jozy
Endoh
Lovitz
Hamilton
Babouli
Osorio
Delgado

We are not playing a 4-4-2.

but how many of those are MLS goal scorers?

PopePouri
03-09-2016, 02:37 PM

Not all forwards in a 4-3-3 are goal scorers. Some are creators, some are natural wingers.

C.Ronaldo
03-09-2016, 03:31 PM
yes but when Jozy and Gio are gone, who will score?

I think Endoh and Babs can do it, but i wouldnt bet much money on it

Hamilton?

Ben - D.O.W.
03-09-2016, 03:40 PM

Hamilton?

Reading Bez's comments on who we're bringing in (or not bringing in) I think he's expecting us to eke out 1-0 wins while everyone's away. I'm still not sure I think our line-up without Seba and Jozy can do it, but I feel like that's the plan.

Ivy
03-09-2016, 04:01 PM
There are no teams in this league that have proven goal scorers past depth spot 3. It just doesn't work cap wise.

PopePouri
03-09-2016, 04:03 PM

Hamilton?

Welcome to MLS.

Red CB Toronto
03-09-2016, 04:13 PM
I am sure we will see some sort of cover brought in ahead of late May.

Ruffian
03-09-2016, 04:16 PM
Giovinco is not gone for sure. Depends on who the Italian team selects.

Ultra & Proud
03-09-2016, 04:46 PM
Guys aren't proven goal scorers before they get a chance to play. We never did have proven goal scorers after Jozy & Seba anyway. Was anyone really ready to proclaim Moore and especially Gomez as proven goal scorers? I wasn't. I didn't see enough from either last season to suggest they could or would score any more than Mo or any of the other young guys could. Also as long as your rolling the dice on potential goal scoring then you pick the younger, cheaper option and also the one who have the legs to handle what it looks like we're planning on throwing out there on a weekly basis.

gdg_9
03-09-2016, 05:24 PM
There are no teams in this league that have proven goal scorers past depth spot 3. It just doesn't work cap wise.

But we could, if we weren't paying a ton of cap $ for Moore and Herc NOT to be playing.

barticusz
03-09-2016, 05:40 PM
If Perquis continues his from from the end of last season and has so far this year I could see him being in the mix for Poland's squad too. Don't think he'd be a starter but he could make the cut consider their lack of depth at the international level for CB's.

notthesun
03-09-2016, 05:41 PM
But we could, if we weren't paying a ton of cap $ for Moore and Herc NOT to be playing.

I have a very hard time believing we dumped two players but received no cap space in return, even if the rules say their cap hits should remain. I think there are shenanigans going on behind closed doors. If we weren't going to receive cap space by waiving one or both of them, why waive them? We had enough roster spots to keep both, sign Endoh and Babouli, and even if Moore & Gomez weren't going to play we could have used the time to search for a transfer for them.

It doesn't really make sense, so I have to assume we've freed up some amount of cap space by waiving them.

Soccerpro
03-09-2016, 07:12 PM
How do we know Babouli won't score goals, if he hasn't played yet?

how does that make sense?

FC Dallas gives young academy players a chance, and it's worked out.

flamehawk
03-09-2016, 07:28 PM
Hmm.. I am surprised that Ben Spencer is still wtih TFC II: https://twitter.com/bspenc9/status/707716138021609472

I don't think he had a single appearance last year, did he?

Ivy
03-09-2016, 07:38 PM
What do you mean? TFC offloaded them because of salary cap. And for me, Moore is hardly a proven MLS scorer. Same goes for Herc for his limited time here.

reggie
03-09-2016, 07:58 PM
the money still counts against the cap.unless somebody picks them up..so wasted cap space.

Doucet3
03-09-2016, 08:26 PM
So with the TAM ... GAM and Spam and glam and what ever 'ams they come up with I vaguely remember someone saying that Hoilett is a possibility and with all the 'Am money being aquired and such a young striker core I could see him or maybe someone else being signed soley as depth nothing major just to help us out

Areathrasher
03-09-2016, 09:16 PM
Hmm.. I am surprised that Ben Spencer is still wtih TFC II: https://twitter.com/bspenc9/status/707716138021609472

I don't think he had a single appearance last year, did he?

He didn't, he was injured all year. At the end of the season it was said he was returned to his club in Norway but during the off season he was posting pics of doing rehab at KIA.

Interesting

Joe Kool
03-10-2016, 12:29 AM
Ok so I can't find the source at the moment where I read it but apparently all the moves that were done recently was to free up room for a potential summer signing once they figure out what are needs are at that point in the season. That would kind of make sense since we can probably get by with what we have for now if everyone stays healthy. I don't think we will see anyone else signed until then.

SirBobSaget
03-10-2016, 12:34 AM
He didn't, he was injured all year. At the end of the season it was said he was returned to his club in Norway but during the off season he was posting pics of doing rehab at KIA.

Interesting
Must be a behind the scenes arrangement. Why else would TFC accept to rehab an injured loaned player?

Hamilton_Red
03-10-2016, 07:46 AM
When does the transfer window close and re-open?

rydermike
03-10-2016, 08:55 AM
Must be a behind the scenes arrangement. Why else would TFC accept to rehab an injured loaned player?

He still lists himself as a TFC player on his Twitter and Instagram. Perhaps they are extending the loan for a year because he was injured last year?

Areathrasher
03-10-2016, 08:57 AM
He still lists himself as a TFC player on his Twitter and Instagram. Perhaps they are extending the loan for a year because he was injured last year?

My thinking too, does his rehab here so they can evaluate him for a transfer.

Pint
03-10-2016, 08:59 AM
We already have Martin Davis and the draft picks... not thrilled if they are giving another roster spot to a non canadian.

Oldtimer
03-10-2016, 09:10 AM
When does the transfer window close and re-open?

Primary Transfer Window - February 18 – May 11, 2016
Secondary Transfer Window - July 4 – August 3, 2016

Areathrasher
03-10-2016, 09:15 AM
We already have Martin Davis and the draft picks... not thrilled if they are giving another roster spot to a non canadian.

It's all speculation at this point tbf. People kicked up a stink over him signing and he never played a game :lol:

I'd be curious to see the reaction if TFCII pulled a Timbers 2 and started signing European and African youth internationals....

TFC/Everton
03-10-2016, 09:18 AM
It's all speculation at this point tbf. People kicked up a stink over him signing and he never played a game :lol:

I'd be curious to see the reaction if TFCII pulled a Timbers 2 and started signing European and African youth internationals....

Why wouldn't we sign the best young players we can?

Pint
03-10-2016, 09:24 AM
TFC II is their to develop our academy players into MLS players. It is designed to promote Canadian youth not to be run as a separate organization, the stink that would be kicked up would be pretty large if they moved away from developing local talent.

Areathrasher
03-10-2016, 09:28 AM
TFC II is their to develop our academy players into MLS players. It is designed to promote Canadian youth not to be run as a separate organization, the stink that would be kicked up would be pretty large if they moved away from developing local talent.

https://49.media.tumblr.com/26541e611c58ab1f2852aadc8e61ab5e/tumblr_ml48xy33mb1s0hia6o1_250.gif

OgtheDim
03-10-2016, 09:49 AM
Mmmm....tacos.

C.Ronaldo
03-10-2016, 10:23 AM
shes no chiwawa

Areathrasher
03-10-2016, 05:08 PM
Haha haha, so about Ben Spencer?!?!? :lol:

Areathrasher
03-10-2016, 05:09 PM
Check out @DanRiccio590's Tweet: https://twitter.com/DanRiccio590/status/708050458556964864?s=09

notthesun
03-10-2016, 05:18 PM
Check out @DanRiccio590's Tweet: https://twitter.com/DanRiccio590/status/708050458556964864?s=09

I don't really know what this means. Are we planning to sign him to the first team? Or just TFCII?

Stress
03-10-2016, 07:14 PM
Spencer was in the chivas USA academy in 2011-2012. Coincidence? They must think highly of him to trade tam for him.

bimmer
03-10-2016, 08:00 PM
Spencer was in the chivas USA academy in 2011-2012. Coincidence? They must think highly of him to trade tam for him.

Nope, I think you've hit the nail on the head. He used to live with Vanney while he was with Chivas so they must have a pretty close relationship. Not trying to throw out nepotism accusations or anything, just saying that having that kind of relationship with the head coach of the first team doesn't hurt.

jloome
03-10-2016, 08:45 PM
I don't really know what this means. Are we planning to sign him to the first team? Or just TFCII?

We've traded for his rights for when his Norway deal expires. He's been here on a loan deal since 2013. He's training with TFCII with the expectation we'll sign him to a USL deal.

SirBobSaget
03-11-2016, 12:48 AM
If Spencer comes in on a free transfer its an excellent deal. A 6'5 20 year old striker with a good goal scoring record with Us Youth squads is def worth a shot.

Stress
03-11-2016, 09:46 AM
Now the real question is whether or not Spencer was/is the "international" target Bez was referring to a couple weeks ago.

Areathrasher
03-11-2016, 10:04 AM
Garbaled google translate interview with Ole Gunnar Soljskaer, Molde manager, on Spencer.

Ben Spencer (20) has a contract with Molde out in 2016, but Ole Gunnar Solskjaer do not think the American will play football for MFK again. Spencer has a cartilage injury that is not unlike that which forced Solskjaer even to put up in 2007.
No, he does not enough football in 2016. He is bad knee and the way it looks now, he is long lost. We do not anticipate that he'll be back on the field before the contract with us going out, says coach U20 national team player.
-There Is still hope that he gets well, but with that kind of damage there is also a danger that you need to give you. He himself must consider whether he should make a major operation might play at the top level again, or if he should decide to end his football career, says Solskjaer.

vortexdr
03-11-2016, 10:05 AM

?? i rather have a good player than a Canadian....

Pint
03-11-2016, 10:15 AM

plenty of good young local kids that need and deserve time.

Fort York Redcoat
03-11-2016, 10:36 AM

And yet they are not exclusive.

Shway
03-11-2016, 10:57 AM
plenty of good young local kids that need and deserve time.

Babouli is the bonafide testament to that.

ag futbol
03-11-2016, 01:00 PM
And yet they are not exclusive.
I want to see local players develop. It's one thing to exclude them from the first team while giving contracts to Americans who played NCAA, it's another to start using developmental spots on foreigner players. Where does it stop? Because it's backslid pretty far already.

They need more of a locked in dedication to local players. My $0.02, but we have Americans running the club and they sometimes have rose coloured glasses on when it comes to their players. A lot of these guys (ex: Rivas, and some others they've brought in for TFC II) have no business being out there. Not on merit and especially not when those spots should go to locals first.

Bobo
03-11-2016, 01:54 PM
FWIW

https://twitter.com/MLSTransfers/status/708357225631367168

Can someone explain to me how waiving Moore (and keeping cap hit) and then looking for a backup #9 makes sense for the club?

portu
03-11-2016, 02:28 PM
I want to see local players develop. It's one thing to exclude them from the first team while giving contracts to Americans who played NCAA, it's another to start using developmental spots on foreigner players. Where does it stop? Because it's backslid pretty far already.

They need more of a locked in dedication to local players. My $0.02, but we have Americans running the club and they sometimes have rose coloured glasses on when it comes to their players. A lot of these guys (ex: Rivas, and some others they've brought in for TFC II) have no business being out there. Not on merit and especially not when those spots should go to locals first.

FWIW

Can someone explain to me how waiving Moore (and keeping cap hit) and then looking for a backup #9 makes sense for the club?
Might be looking a #9 that doesn't have a cap hit? ie Generation Adidas or supplemental roster player

Stress
03-11-2016, 02:28 PM
FWIW

Well Moore did approach the staff last season about playing time so perhaps they thought it would be best to move him rather than keep him unhappy.

Ultra & Proud
03-11-2016, 02:29 PM
Well Moore did approach the staff last season about playing time so perhaps they thought it would be best to move him rather than keep him unhappy.
And they probably figured he'd have been picked up by someone by now.

MightyDM
03-11-2016, 10:04 PM
Headline " TFC releases number 9"
Headline " TFC seeks number 9"

KurtLarSUN
03-12-2016, 09:43 AM
Headline " TFC seeks number 9"

Re-vised headline: TFC seeks "bargain" No. 9

I asked Vanney about it last night in our brief one-on-one

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/03/11/toronto-fcs-daniel-lovitz-ruled-out-of-nycfc-clash

PopePouri
03-12-2016, 10:04 AM
Maybe someone like Eric Hurtado. Low salary hit, can play through the middle and out wide in a 4-3-3.

Bobo
03-12-2016, 10:22 AM
Is it possible to reclaim a player that's been waived? Moore may have his limitations but let's face it, he's better than anything they'll find while dumpster diving. He's been long acclimatized to the surroundings and he has useful qualities for a 433.

vortexdr
03-12-2016, 01:56 PM
I assume its nothing but its the first time I've ever even seen Focus.de mention MLS

Linking Lucas Podolski to TFC...No clue how they would be able to pay the salary unless they get rid of say Altidore...Talking about a 8mil salary below.

": Geht es für Weltmeister Lukas Podolski bald nach Nordamerika? Wie mehrere türkische Medien berichten, soll der Spieler, der derzeit bei Galatasaray Istandbul unter Vertrag steht, ein Mega-Angebot aus Kanada (http://www.focus.de/orte/kanada/) vorliegen haben. Der FC Toronto soll auf den 30-Jährigen aufmerksam geworden sein.Konkrete Vertrag-Details sollen aufgetaucht sein: Die Rede ist von acht Millionen Euro Gehalt (http://www.focus.de/thema/gehaltsrechner/) pro Jahr.
Erst im Sommer war Podolski aus der Premier League (http://www.focus.de/thema/barclays-premier-league/) in die Türkei (http://www.focus.de/orte/tuerkei/) gewechselt. Sein Vertrag bei Galatasaray läuft noch bis 2018. Derzeit spielt der frühere Köln- und Bayernspieler eine gute Saison und hat in 21 Spielen bereits zehn Tore erzielt.
Nationalspieler Torsten Frings beendete seine Karriere 2013 in Toronto. Außerdem spielt der ehemalige Gladbacher (http://www.focus.de/thema/borussia-moenchengladbach/) Michael Bradley beim kanadischen Verein."

TFC/Everton
03-12-2016, 02:24 PM
Seems like this is being reported by legit media in Germany.

http://www.berliner-zeitung.de/sport/transfergeruecht-wechselt-lukas-podolski-in-die-mls--23713658

Hate to sound like a downer, but could this be in case Giovinco leaves?

Eastend
03-12-2016, 02:34 PM
Or the often injured Altidore?

TFC/Everton
03-12-2016, 02:40 PM
CNN in Turkey (3.5 million followers on twitter) is reporting it. https://twitter.com/cnnturk/status/708634353602011136

Fort York Redcoat
03-12-2016, 02:41 PM
I read 36mil. How do we offer him that?

vortexdr
03-12-2016, 02:46 PM

German sites are reporting a 4 year deal so the total would make sense at 8mil a year. TBH having Poldi and Giovinco would be fun to watch!

molenshtain
03-12-2016, 02:47 PM

on 36 million he'd be the highest paid player in the world. That seems highly unlikely.

Fort York Redcoat
03-12-2016, 02:50 PM
WHAT IS HAPPENING!??

but really, so much to be moved around to make this happen. I am suspicious.

OgtheDim
03-12-2016, 02:51 PM
Can't see it - this team is not interested in 31 year old strikers anymore.

Especially one who comes off the left like Seba does. Agent talk.

Pint
03-12-2016, 02:53 PM
Maybe jozy goes, maybe this is being lined up if seba leaves (Conte is going to Chelsea) or maybe it's nothing.

Podolski and seba would be very fun.

Super
03-12-2016, 02:53 PM
Can't see it - this team is not interested in 31 year old strikers anymore.

Especially one who comes off the left like Seba does. Agent talk.

Could be just agent talk, sure, but to be fair Podolski is still only 30, and he could easily wreck this league for another 3-4 years. Would take him over Altidore, but not Giovinco.

molenshtain
03-12-2016, 02:57 PM
Could be just agent talk, sure, but to be fair Podolski is still only 30, and he could easily wreck this league for another 3-4 years. Would take him over Altidore, but not Giovinco.

three to four years is definitely a stretch. He's a player who relies a ton on his directness and his athleticism, something that's already starting to fade

portu
03-12-2016, 02:58 PM
Normally I'd say this is bullshit, but if it's being reported by legit media then i don't know wtf is going on, unless we pull an LA and get the league to accommodate us

Edit: isn't podolski also injury prone

molenshtain
03-12-2016, 03:05 PM

very.

TFC/Everton
03-12-2016, 03:06 PM

36 over 4 years is just a little more than Giovinco makes.

Fort York Redcoat
03-12-2016, 03:08 PM
Normally I'd say this is bullshit, but if it's being reported by legit media then i don't know wtf is going on, unless we pull an LA and get the league to accommodate us

very.

Well then he'll fit that part of Altidores role then....:(

Red CB Toronto
03-12-2016, 03:10 PM

CNN of all outlets does not touch rumour mill material so there must be something to it, I would have to believe.

OgtheDim
03-12-2016, 03:17 PM
We've heard stuff out of Turkey before.

BTW, I said 31 because that's what he is in June and if he did show up it would be in July after the Euro's, I would think. As others have said, injury prone. We already got that in Altidore, who's 4 1/2 years younger.

TFC/Everton
03-12-2016, 03:21 PM
From what I've gathered, major newspapers in Berlin and Hamburg are reporting it and like 10 outlets in Turkey are reporting it, including CNN.

My guess is the story came from his agent as the articles describes Podolski responding positively to the the offer.

Lots of smoke, but maybe some fire... We shall see.

Also, may I be the first to say: He will destroy MLS defenders :)

vortexdr
03-12-2016, 03:23 PM
We've heard stuff out of Turkey before.

BTW, I said 31 because that's what he is in June and if he did show up it would be in July after the Euro's, I would think. As others have said, injury prone. We already got that in Altidore, who's 4 1/2 years younger.

While Altidore might be younger he isnt even close to the player Poldi is. The guy would walk over the pathetic defenders in MLS.

OgtheDim
03-12-2016, 03:27 PM
While Altidore might be younger he isnt even close to the player Poldi is. The guy would walk over the pathetic defenders in MLS.
Depends on whether he is slowing down.

I just think there is a potential with Alitdore to have an asset for the next 7 years, whereas with Podolski, we are talking about 2.5.

vortexdr
03-12-2016, 03:30 PM

I just think there is a potential with Alitdore to have an asset for the next 7 years, whereas with Podolski, we are talking about 2.5.

Altidore gets paid way too much though for what he offers. Id gladly keep him but not on a DP contract. He just isnt that great and the ~5m or whatever he gets paid could be spent much better.

ManUtd4ever
03-12-2016, 03:33 PM
I hope this is legit!

Richard
03-12-2016, 03:34 PM

The thing with a designated players is that you don't really need them around for long term success, you bring them in to to put your over the top, Giovinco/Bradley being the glaring exception because they are coming in their prime.

There is no shortage of quality players if we continue to offer 5M+. Getting a new DP every 2-3 years isn't that bad of an idea if they are star like Podolski.

We are in the win now mentality so Altidore has to perform soon.

These rumors interesting though.

the beat
03-12-2016, 04:07 PM
Swapping Podolski for Altidore would be a brilliant bit of business. Not getting my hopes up though.

molenshtain
03-12-2016, 04:32 PM
Swapping Podolski for Altidore would be a brilliant bit of business. Not getting my hopes up though.

No it wouldn't. That swap would only exacerbate our problems of our best players not fitting perfectly together. It would be more of a disaster in terms of roster set up then anything else.

the beat
03-12-2016, 05:22 PM
No it wouldn't. That swap would only exacerbate our problems of our best players not fitting perfectly together. It would be more of a disaster in terms of roster set up then anything else.

Yeah having Giovinco and Podolski attack MLS defenders would be a total disaster. You're right, silly me.

OgtheDim
03-12-2016, 05:37 PM
Yeah having Giovinco and Podolski attack MLS defenders would be a total disaster. You're right, silly me.

Having two guys who like to play the same way in the same position would not be a good idea. If we are going to spend that much cap space, I'd rather have complementary players.

That's a lot of money that can buy something complimentary.

Fort York Redcoat
03-12-2016, 05:38 PM

Ya a swap would shock me. In a good way.

the beat
03-12-2016, 06:04 PM
Having two guys who like to play the same way in the same position would not be a good idea. If we are going to spend that much cap space, I'd rather have complementary players.

That's a lot of money that can buy something complimentary.

If Lovitz is playable on the left side, I'm sure Podolsky could be accommodated. Would you turn down Bale because our attack on the left is shored up? Would you have turned down Giovinco if it meant playing someone in their secondary position?

Ya a swap would shock me. In a good way.

Not a swap per se but we'd obviously have to free up a DP spot. But yes, I'd take Podolsky over Altidore every day of the week. Still can't see it happening though.

OgtheDim
03-12-2016, 06:10 PM
If Lovitz is playable on the left side, I'm sure Podolsky could be accommodated.....

Seba is better from the left. Its two players that are better in the same position.

We can find somebody else who can play in a way complimentary to Seba.

Geez, you guys make it sound like Podolski is the only possible $8 million a year player out there.

If we are going to do the dropping of Jozy thing, there are better choices.

We swim in a MUCH larger fish tank now.

portu
03-12-2016, 06:25 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think a swap deal is possible. We can still register players as our window is still open, however there's is closed meaning if we did swap Altidore for Podolski they wouldn't be able to register him until the summer.

Basically: if podolski comes in then Altidore goes out in a seperate deal

notthesun
03-12-2016, 06:25 PM
If we were going to drop Altidore I'd have thought it would be during the off-season.

Not going to put much stock in this for now - wouldn't be the first time we're linked with a big name but nothing happens.

mistercorporate
03-12-2016, 06:27 PM
He seems to be a winger capable of playing on the left and the right, having a better FIFA rating when playing on the right :D
It may make sense in that he wont be gone for many international games given his age and yet seems to be a good fit for our new playing style. Would be a shame to see Jozy go given he is a proven goal scorer in this league but theoretically Lukas does seem like the better fit.

Seba - Endoh - Lukas ?

portu
03-12-2016, 06:27 PM
Seba is better from the left. Its two players that are better in the same position.

We can find somebody else who can play in a way complimentary to Seba.

Geez, you guys make it sound like Podolski is the only possible $8 million a year player out there.

If we are going to do the dropping of Jozy thing, there are better choices.

We swim in a MUCH larger fish tank now.
This^ there are a lot of quality strikers (Balotelli please) out there not named podolski if this is the route the FO are going down..

mistercorporate
03-12-2016, 06:30 PM
This^ there are a lot of quality strikers (Balotelli please) out there not named podolski if this is the route the FO are going down..

Balotelli?? Id rather have Bekker, Bitchy the Hawk or my Grandma putting on boots, he is a walking disaster waiting to happen.

portu
03-12-2016, 06:41 PM
Balotelli?? Id rather have Bekker, Bitchy the Hawk or my Grandma putting on boots, he is a walking disaster waiting to happen.
But losing with balo would be so much more fun

the beat
03-12-2016, 06:52 PM

Balotelli is a sideshow.

Kayaker
03-12-2016, 07:05 PM
One X factor that could be in play with Galatasaray is that they have been banned from European play for a year for breaching Financial Fair Play. I can imagine that they are looking to dump salary.

If I put my MLS conspiracy hat on, what are the odds that the league opens up a 4th DP? There were rumours around the CBA, which probably turned into the TAM situation, but with China splashing money around and post Euro is a prime time for players to move on to other leagues..... not the craziest thing I've heard. However, until I hear more, I would imagine that this is just agent talk. I also think that Jozy *could* have a breakout year. I can't see Seba or Bradley going until at least this off season.

Lennon
03-12-2016, 09:17 PM
He's 30 and injury prone. Overpaying to get him here for 4 years would be a terrible deal.

oldtraffordPEI
03-12-2016, 09:38 PM
Holy shit we have come a long way since 2007. I cant help but grin ear to ear when I see this discussion. Podolski is the kind of player who has name recognition with all soccer fans. He will sell a shit load of shirts. Not to mention hes got 125 caps for Germany and hes one of the best goal scorers on the international stage in recent history.

Whether we get him or not, I love seeing TFC's name linked to players like this. I feel like TFC wants to be the big fish in the MLS pond. Few clubs have aspirations like ours in the MLS. Just enjoy it! Someday that cap will be gone and we can spend like the big boys.

Even at Altidores best he is not in the same league as a 30 yr old Podolski.

MightyDM
03-12-2016, 09:53 PM
Re-vised headline: TFC seeks "bargain" No. 9

I asked Vanney about it last night in our brief one-on-one

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/03/11/toronto-fcs-daniel-lovitz-ruled-out-of-nycfc-clash

thanks, interesting and good luck to Konopka. Best at saving penalties we've had. And great club spirit

Ultra & Proud
03-12-2016, 11:33 PM
Holy shit we have come a long way since 2007. I cant help but grin ear to ear when I see this discussion. Podolski is the kind of player who has name recognition with all soccer fans. He will sell a shit load of shirts. Not to mention hes got 125 caps for Germany and hes one of the best goal scorers on the international stage in recent history.

Whether we get him or not, I love seeing TFC's name linked to players like this. I feel like TFC wants to be the big fish in the MLS pond. Few clubs have aspirations like ours in the MLS. Just enjoy it! Someday that cap will be gone and we can spend like the big boys.

Even at Altidores best he is not in the same league as a 30 yr old Podolski.
I find it funny that people are spanking for a guy that's never scored well other than for the national team, is often injured, and is over 30. No way ever does Podolski manage even what Altidore did last year, with his international leaves and injuries.

edit; and he will cost almost $4m a year more according to reports. You Gooner lovers are hilarious.

jloome
03-12-2016, 11:34 PM
CNN of all outlets does not touch rumour mill material so there must be something to it, I would have to believe.

No, there's no such thing as a major commercial outlet anymore that doesn't report unconfirmed rumors. They just wait until it cycles through a reputable outlet before they report it.

It's as easy as this:

Mlsrumors, a highly unreliable twitter feed, reports Toronto is looking for a #9 and has anyone heard who, in the hopes of scaring up a rumor to report.

An agent sees this on twitter and tells a reporter at an outlet that doesn't require a hard confirmation that it might be Podolski. I'm not saying it is, and I'm not saying it isn't, he tells the young and less-than-well-trained journalist. He reports it on a local news or sports website and it is picked up by other European outlets. Maybe one of them calls the original paper or agent and maybe not; either way, they get a vague "maybe this is really happening" answer.

Presto, everyone else picks it up from the other outlets, as they're owned by big companies, often even chains that share stories on an internal network.

The only people who genuinely avoid this most of the time are the publicly funded outlets, Associated Press, the Canadian Press and the British Press Association.

Shakes McQueen
03-12-2016, 11:40 PM
No, there's no such thing as a major commercial outlet anymore that doesn't report unconfirmed rumors. They just wait until it cycles through a reputable outlet before they report it.

It's as easy as this:

Mlsrumors, a highly unreliable twitter feed, reports Toronto is looking for a #9 and has anyone heard who, in the hopes of scaring up a rumor to report.

An agent sees this on twitter and tells a reporter at an outlet that doesn't require a hard confirmation that it might be Podolski. I'm not saying it is, and I'm not saying it isn't, he tells the young and less-than-well-trained journalist. He reports it on a local news or sports website and it is picked up by other European outlets. Maybe one of them calls the original paper or agent and maybe not; either way, they get a vague "maybe this is really happening" answer.

Presto, everyone else picks it up from the other outlets, as they're owned by big companies, often even chains that share stories on an internal network.

The only people who genuinely avoid this most of the time are the publicly funded outlets, Associated Press, the Canadian Press and the British Press Association.

Pretty much accurate. I can't count the amount of political "news" especially, that comes from anonymous sources - and is typically someone trying to put a specific narrative out there, which the press are all too willing to oblige, if it gets them an "exclusive".

I've seen all kinds of "news" spread over the internet, that all leads back to one unsourced report which was picked up by a blog, then picked up by an aggregator website like HuffPo or Buzzfeed, then the Buzzfeed report is picked up by ABC or CNN - everyone assuming their respective source along the chain had done due diligence (or not caring, which is worse).

I think wire services are pretty much the only bastion left, and they have their own problems.

Shakes McQueen
03-12-2016, 11:42 PM

We seem to have a pretty good group of guys, and a healthy locker room culture going on. Balotelli would be throwing a hand grenade into that.

vortexdr
03-13-2016, 08:01 AM
I find it funny that people are spanking for a guy that's never scored well other than for the national team, is often injured, and is over 30. No way ever does Podolski manage even what Altidore did last year, with his international leaves and injuries.

edit; and he will cost almost $4m a year more according to reports. You Gooner lovers are hilarious.

Umm Poldi has accomplished more than anyone on TFC. Futhermore when he got the chances he always banged them in....LOL you are seriously comparing a terrible player in Altidore that couldn't hack it in Europe to Podolski???

Seriously?? He has a better scoring record then Giovinco who only managed like 15 goals in his entire time at juve. A much much better scoring record than Altidore. I assume you're American and massively biased...

Red CB Toronto
03-13-2016, 08:14 AM

It's as easy as this:

I watch CNN all the time and don't even know where they would even come across such a story. With the 24 hour news cycle and all that is going on in the world for them to even give such a small story a run.

OgtheDim
03-13-2016, 08:37 AM
The issue of not wanting Podolski is not because of an infatuation with Altidore. If we could get better, I'd trade even Seba. (if you wouldn't trade him for one of Barca's big 3, ur not thinking this through)

I don't care how great Podolksi has been. He's too old for the investment and doesn't fit with the league MVP.

This idea you can take player x and have him work with player y automatically has shown itself to be false all over the world.

Podolski - great player, doesn't fit our system, not worth the investment.

No, if we were to move Jozy on, we would be picking up a 27-29 year old #9 who is not getting minutes for some top European team but has a high soccer IQ. Go find that guy.

KurtLarSUN
03-13-2016, 08:40 AM
Toronto FC is not signing Podolski.

ronzilla
03-13-2016, 09:01 AM
Jozy does not justify his $4.5m/year salary, time to ship him out. Gilberto would have scored the same amount of goals,if not more, last season, if played uptop with Seba.

Red CB Toronto
03-13-2016, 09:06 AM

Thanks Kurt, figured that was the case, it was kind of strange how the story jumped out of nowhere.

Bobo
03-13-2016, 09:24 AM
Maybe they'll trade for everybody's remaining TAM and buy Jozy down? LOL.

TFC have been linked to 487 potential DPs over the past few years. European publications don't understand MLS rules. Good to see CNN in Europe being as truthful as the US one.

Two days ago TFC were searching for a budget #9 for insurance purposes. Yesterday is an 8m/yr #7. Eat it up boys.

Although a left-footed forward would be nice.

OgtheDim
03-13-2016, 09:45 AM
...Although a left-footed forward would be nice.

I thought we had one of those? Seba scored that goal with his left.

Red4ever
03-13-2016, 09:56 AM

Pffft. Buzzkill. :D

molenshtain
03-13-2016, 09:59 AM
Jozy does not justify his $4.5m/year salary, time to ship him out. Gilberto would have scored the same amount of goals,if not more, last season, if played uptop with Seba.

Well 1, there's no actual way to know that. And when judging Jozy's season last year, you have to recognize he had 13 goals in 25 games in a season where he was constantly coming back from injury and never fully fit. He also had no defined role in the lineup. Give him a healthy run and a solid set of tasks for his tactical role that he can accomplish and there's no reason he couldn't be one of the top 5 forwards in the league.

Bobo
03-13-2016, 09:59 AM
I thought we had one of those? Seba scored that goal with his left.

Naturally, I mean a forward who is primarily left-footed player who can offer another dynamic on set-pieces.

KurtLarSUN
03-13-2016, 10:24 AM
Went ahead and did some digging into Podolski, though I didn't want to. http://www.torontosun.com/2016/03/13/toronto-fc-is-not-courting-german-striker-podolski

mistercorporate
03-13-2016, 11:21 AM
Went ahead and did some digging into Podolski, though I didn't want to. http://www.torontosun.com/2016/03/13/toronto-fc-is-not-courting-german-striker-podolski

Thanks Kurt, youre an awesome resource!

ManUtd4ever
03-13-2016, 11:22 AM
Maybe they'll trade for everybody's remaining TAM and buy Jozy down? LOL.

TFC have been linked to 487 potential DPs over the past few years. European publications don't understand MLS rules. Good to see CNN in Europe being as truthful as the US one.

Two days ago TFC were searching for a budget #9 for insurance purposes. Yesterday is an 8m/yr #7. Eat it up boys.

Although a left-footed forward would be nice.

LOL, I'm just curious, how did you arrive at that exact figure?

I'm sure it's not far off.

Wagner
03-13-2016, 11:25 AM
I would be so happy if this was true.
His song is amazing.
Try not to have this stuck in your head.

https://youtu.be/OcHdHNbC3jM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcHdHNbC3jM

Ultra & Proud
03-13-2016, 01:07 PM
Seeing as we want a budget forward, I can't see how there isn't someone with some upside playing in the NASL who fits that bill.

molenshtain
03-13-2016, 01:23 PM
Seeing as we want a budget forward, I can't see how there isn't someone with some upside playing in the NASL who fits that bill.

but then we'd have to pay a transfer fee, which defeats the purpose.

portu
03-13-2016, 01:29 PM
There has to be a free agent somewhere available on the cheap

Edit: what's Hume doing?

JuliquE
03-13-2016, 01:54 PM
There has to be a free agent somewhere available on the cheap

Edit: what's Hume doing?
Last I saw he was lighting it up… in the Indian top-flight.

Still, that's seen him move to the second division, there, in Spain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHXuvbxIIww

jloome
03-13-2016, 07:38 PM
Last I saw he was lighting it up… in the Indian top-flight.

Still, that's seen him move to the second division, there, in Spain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHXuvbxIIww

He's not getting any time at Ponferradina; he's had three sub appearances. I think it's a side deal to pay him extra and keep him in the IPL.

Prof
03-15-2016, 09:57 PM
Samaras Joins Rayo OKC
Much like the Greek god Hermes before him, Georgios Samaras knows a bit about boundaries, travel, communications, and language. After all, the much-traveled Greek international striker has played in Crete, the Netherlands, Scotland, England, Saudi Arabia (on loan), and flirted with the New York Cosmos of the NASL before signing last week with the expansion club Rayo OKC.
“We are extremely excited and blessed to be able to sign Georgios,” Rayo OKC coach Alen Marcina said upon the introduction of Samaras, 31. “He has played at the highest levels throughout his career and we are very fortunate to add him to our club. He brings a wealth of experience on top of his incredible talent level that will be immeasurable for our team.”
After leaving the English club West Bromwich Albion last year, Samaras spent extended time training with the Cosmos as he looked to regain his fitness after sustaining a back injury. When the Cosmos didn’t sign him, Samaras packed his bags and headed for Oklahoma.
He takes along an impressive résumé that includes a long run with Glasgow Celtic in which he scored 74 goals in more than 250 games in all competitions and became a crowd favorite. He had been part of Greece’s national team program since 2006, including the 2014 World Cup in Brazil when his goal sent the Greeks to the second round.

molenshtain
03-15-2016, 09:59 PM
"Glasgow Celtic"

Bobo
03-16-2016, 02:53 AM
So Herc is training with Seattle. Should they sign him then TFC get full cap relief? Assuming his salary is somewhere near last year's half-season salary, TFC free up somewhere in the 240k region?

portu
03-16-2016, 03:19 AM
So Herc is training with Seattle. Should they sign him then TFC get full cap relief? Assuming his salary is somewhere near last year's half-season salary, TFC free up somewhere in the 240k region?
That would make sense but then again it's MLS

KGH
03-16-2016, 06:55 AM

His contract with TFC was only until June. The cap relief would be minimal and in the range of 120-150k.

the beat
03-16-2016, 08:53 AM
"Glasgow Celtic"

Never heard of the Famous Glasgow Celtic?! g:D

MightyDM
03-16-2016, 09:25 AM
His contract with TFC was only until June. The cap relief would be minimal and in the range of 120-150k.

Why did they release Gomez if his cap hit wasn't the issue. It doesn't make sense after letting Moore ( and Findley) go, unless the plan is for Endoh and Babouli to carry the team while Seba and Jozy are away. Unless they already know that Seba hasn't made Italy....

Ossington Mental Youth
03-16-2016, 09:36 AM
Why did they release Gomez if his cap hit wasn't the issue. It doesn't make sense after letting Moore ( and Findley) go, unless the plan is for Endoh and Babouli to carry the team while Seba and Jozy are away. Unless they already know that Seba hasn't made Italy....

Still super confused by all of this, gotta be something we're missing

Bobo
03-16-2016, 10:09 AM

Unless in mistaken, Herc was paid 240k for half of last season. This season he was under contract for roughly the same amount of time.

But even 120k could prove to be quite useful.

KGH
03-16-2016, 10:14 AM
Unless in mistaken, Herc was paid 240k for half of last season. This season he was under contract for roughly the same amount of time.

But even 120k could prove to be quite useful.

Good point. I forgot about the way they record cap for 1/2 year players.

KGH
03-16-2016, 10:18 AM

I actually think its the right thing to do for the player. I imagine they asked him what his preference was (sit on the bench, or be released to try to make another club) and he said he'd like to try to make another team but a team that he wanted to be at...not columbus or some shit hole.

Our front office has been actively changing the reputation it had to a more player friendly location. There are reasons that we landed Drew Moor had something to do with this as well. I think its actually a very good sign.

HeyToronto
03-16-2016, 10:46 AM
I actually think its the right thing to do for the player. I imagine they asked him what his preference was (sit on the bench, or be released to try to make another club)

I don't see how that fits. Jozy is our only real "9" in the squad with any professional experience and his fitness issues are well known. Herc would have started the first 2 games if he was still on the roster and fit.
If I were Herc I'd be more confident in winning minutes from a injured/dpearted Jozy and rookies compared to Seattle who has Valdez, Martins, Dempsey that I know of.

If I were to take a wild guess the club either did not believe he can contribute at the appropriate level or there is a plan to bring in a European/South American player after their respective tourneys in the summer.

Pint
03-16-2016, 10:56 AM
I don't see how that fits. Jozy is our only real "9" in the squad with any professional experience and his fitness issues are well known. Herc would have started the first 2 games if he was still on the roster and fit.
If I were Herc I'd be more confident in winning minutes from a injured/dpearted Jozy and rookies compared to Seattle who has Valdez, Martins, Dempsey that I know of.

If I were to take a wild guess the club either did not believe he can contribute at the appropriate level or there is a plan to bring in a European/South American player after their respective tourneys in the summer.

Martins has been gone for a little while... he is in china. They do have american super wonder kid Morris though.

SoccMan2
03-16-2016, 11:44 AM
I'm wondering if TFC enquired about Georgios Samaras or any other MLS team I mean how much could he have been asking if he signed for an NASL team?

Ultra & Proud
03-16-2016, 12:06 PM
I'm wondering if TFC enquired about Georgios Samaras or any other MLS team I mean how much could he have been asking if he signed for an NASL team?
Probably has something to do with the fact that he is shit along with wanting to much money to play in MLS.

Fort York Redcoat
03-16-2016, 12:10 PM
Probably has something to do with the fact that he is shit along with wanted to much money to play in MLS.

I would've taken him for Casey in '07 though. But...Mo.

Ultra & Proud
03-16-2016, 12:20 PM
I would've taken him for Casey in '07 though. But...Mo.
Maybe then due to what we had but I always viewed him as a scrub.

PopePouri
03-16-2016, 12:30 PM

I remember we inquired about him during the Nelsen era.

Fort York Redcoat
03-16-2016, 02:04 PM
Maybe then due to what we had but I always viewed him as a scrub.

He was making a go of it at the time. THAT time it made sense, this time was like an old home party with his US National buddies (Findley was on that Colorado team, too)

T-boy
03-17-2016, 11:56 AM
Probably has something to do with the fact that he is shit along with wanting to much money to play in MLS.

I don't think he's that bad, but I also don't think he's any better than Gomez.

notthesun
03-17-2016, 05:49 PM
https://twitter.com/SoccerInsider/status/710593871626027008

Countdown to Altidore hamstring injury #2...

ag futbol
03-17-2016, 07:13 PM
Good grief. Between the USMNT callups and the injuries I really question whether this can go on.

For the money we are paying we could easily pry another Piatti out of South America and have zero concerns about missing time for NT games.

DinamoTFC
03-17-2016, 07:34 PM
Good grief. Between the USMNT callups and the injuries I really question whether this can go on.

For the money we are paying we could easily pry another Piatti out of South America and have zero concerns about missing time for NT games.

Luckily after the Sporting KC game we have a bye week so Jozy wont be missing any TFC games. But I do question if his hamstring can hold up. But you also do make a good point, thats a lot of money for someone who misses a lot of club games, but its what we had to do to get rid of Defoe.

Joe Kool
03-17-2016, 08:01 PM
Until he plays for a bit for the team that pays his salary their shouldn't be any international call ups. They need to put something in future DP contracts. He seems to be good for USMNT duty most of the time but TFC time is questionable. He better stay healthy for a bit this time...but I am not holding my breath.

portu
03-17-2016, 08:09 PM
Luckily after the Sporting KC game we have a bye week so Jozy wont be missing any TFC games. But I do question if his hamstring can hold up. But you also do make a good point, thats a lot of money for someone who misses a lot of club games, but its what we had to do to get rid of Defoe.
If the FO was smart in the Defoe situation they would have sold him in the summer of 2014 instead of waiting it out hoping we could salvage playoffs

I can imagine there's a market for Jozy remember he turned down a shit ton of clubs to come here but no moves should be made on the Jozy front without having a surefire replacement lined up

Derko
03-18-2016, 06:43 AM
If the FO was smart in the Defoe situation they would have sold him in the summer of 2014 instead of waiting it out hoping we could salvage playoffs

I can imagine there's a market for Jozy remember he turned down a shit ton of clubs to come here but no moves should be made on the Jozy front without having a surefire replacement lined up

That would be smart

Derko
03-18-2016, 06:53 AM
Until he plays for a bit for the team that pays his salary their shouldn't be any international call ups. They need to put something in future DP contracts. He seems to be good for USMNT duty most of the time but TFC time is questionable. He better stay healthy for a bit this time...but I am not holding my breath.

But then you get into that question of Club or Country. In this day and age the playing for Country pride and all that shit is a Myth.
You have to perform and work hard for the job you are getting paid for first(Club), the other stuff (Country) is extracurricular
Just an honest opinion

Oldtimer
03-18-2016, 06:56 AM

Maybe they tried to sell him, but no one was willing to pony up enough cash. Given MLS cap rules, a trade passes uncovered costs onto the Jozy contract rather than leaves us with unusable cap wastage. Any straight sale for less than what TFC paid would leave a cap amount uncovered.

Fort York Redcoat
03-18-2016, 08:16 AM
But then you get into that question of Club or Country. In this day and age the playing for Country pride and all that shit is a Myth.
You have to perform and work hard for the job you are getting paid for first(Club), the other stuff (Country) is extracurricular
Just an honest opinion

Jaded, and honest. If you want take a different angle that may or may not be considered so jaded: Players use Country as a stepping stone to a better club. A shop window for their talents on a larger level of exposure.

But that's not how I treat it. The best of them know what it means to us and appreciated at the same time. The best of them don't use it as just another tool.

ag futbol
03-18-2016, 08:38 AM
Lot of these guys have endorsement deals driven by national team profiles and get a stipend from their countries for playing. It's not as altruistic as it sounds at first glance.

The transfer market is another element as well. National team appearances are often a criteria used to justify work permits. And just wait and see who is the over-priced hype coming out of the next euros. Your very own Milan Baros awaits the lucky buyer.

mcolvy
03-18-2016, 09:23 AM
Lot of these guys have endorsement deals driven by national team profiles and get a stipend from their countries for playing. It's not as altruistic as it sounds at first glance.

The transfer market is another element as well. National team appearances are often a criteria used to justify work permits. And just wait and see who is the over-priced hype coming out of the next euros. Your very own Milan Baros awaits the lucky buyer.

I think these are all fair points. But staying away from the country vs club debate -- from a team construct perspective national team commitment is absolutely something to consider when signing a DP. Having two DPs from the US, who by far have the most interruptions in the MLS schedule, is not the most efficient way to spend that large of a percentage of our cap. Adding Jozy's injury issues and it is absolutely ridiculous how few games we'll get from him this season.

I think that is reason enough to look to replace him. Bradley - one on that team is fine and the guy can take the extra workload and abuse.

And I agree - Jozy's should get healthy and play for TFC before running off to the national team right now - he's under too much pressure and risks pushing himself too much with Klinsman.

CanadaLFC
03-18-2016, 09:39 AM
I think these are all fair points. But staying away from the country vs club debate -- from a team construct perspective national team commitment is absolutely something to consider when signing a DP. Having two DPs from the US, who by far have the most interruptions in the MLS schedule, is not the most efficient way to spend that large of a percentage of our cap. Adding Jozy's injury issues and it is absolutely ridiculous how few games we'll get from him this season.

I think that is reason enough to look to replace him. Bradley - one on that team is fine and the guy can take the extra workload and abuse.

And I agree - Jozy's should get healthy and play for TFC before running off to the national team right now - he's under too much pressure and risks pushing himself too much with Klinsman.

Getting rid of a DP like that is extremely difficult though, especially with the wages Altidore is on.

I still think he is a beast though and his 13-goals last season is a good return.

The issue of international games affecting the club matches is a league problem and something that will have to be addressed sooner rather than later.

Ultra & Proud
03-18-2016, 10:28 AM

If the USMNT had someone other than JK in charge I bet players would come out of their camps a lot healthier and this wouldn't matter.

ag futbol
03-18-2016, 10:40 AM
^ all said and done though, it's still extra games missed and wear-and-tear.

Someone made a good point above regarding this being a backdoor out of the Defoe deal rather than a signing we'd make under ideal circumstances. Certainly a fair point.

I still think some of the American teams would get excited about having him in the roster from time to time. He's a recognizable player and put up 10+ goals last year. I think that's something teams would gamble on, although I'd be skeptical if they are making the right decision.

Derko
03-18-2016, 10:55 AM
Jaded, and honest. If you want take a different angle that may or may not be considered so jaded: Players use Country as a stepping stone to a better club. A shop window for their talents on a larger level of exposure.

But that's not how I treat it. The best of them know what it means to us and appreciated at the same time. The best of them don't use it as just another tool.

True enough, I just don't like seeing injuries happen during friendlies and it happens so often, I think players are hesitant and overcautious and that is when injuries occur.
And I honestly think Klinssmen is a complete arrogant ass. Now back on topic, sorry guys.

mcolvy
03-18-2016, 12:48 PM
^ all said and done though, it's still extra games missed and wear-and-tear.

Someone made a good point above regarding this being a backdoor out of the Defoe deal rather than a signing we'd make under ideal circumstances. Certainly a fair point.

I still think some of the American teams would get excited about having him in the roster from time to time. He's a recognizable player and put up 10+ goals last year. I think that's something teams would gamble on, although I'd be skeptical if they are making the right decision.

I think it is right to suggest Jozy's contract would be hard to move. He isn't worth that money. Would have to be within MLS for that marketing perspective. Even if we don't get much of a return- I think we could lay him off on someone. Colorado and Chicago are absolute clown shows at the moment....

Altidore for Gilberto swap? :)

OgtheDim
03-18-2016, 01:07 PM
Love how people talk about Altidore being injured then suggest a guy who is even more injury prone, just because he was here once.

(Yes, I saw the emoticon but his name has come up before)

MightyDM
03-18-2016, 03:00 PM
Maybe they tried to sell him, but no one was willing to pony up enough cash. Given MLS cap rules, a trade passes uncovered costs onto the Jozy contract rather than leaves us with unusable cap wastage. Any straight sale for less than what TFC paid would leave a cap amount uncovered.

They had a sale to an English team - Tim L said so in his exit interview. Stopped above him.

portu
03-18-2016, 03:50 PM
I think it is right to suggest Jozy's contract would be hard to move. He isn't worth that money. Would have to be within MLS for that marketing perspective. Even if we don't get much of a return- I think we could lay him off on someone. Colorado and Chicago are absolute clown shows at the moment....

Altidore for Gilberto swap? :)

Only way I'd be okay with Altidore moving within the league is if we got Villa or Keane in return

ag futbol
03-18-2016, 04:19 PM
Only way I'd be okay with Altidore moving within the league is if we got Villa or Keane in return
Just give me the cap room.

Ultra & Proud
03-18-2016, 04:39 PM
Just give me the cap room.
$374K?

ag futbol
03-18-2016, 04:41 PM
$374K?
Well and the DP slot / salary off the books to be clear.

We can get a better player for that money in the market. Why bother trading?

mistercorporate
03-18-2016, 05:09 PM
We need to quit abusing proven goalscorers who havent given us reason to demonize them (the way people bad mouthed defoe was pretty bad too, before they had any proof). Lets make Altidore feel welcome until he starts to suck, which he hasnt yet.

MightyDM
03-18-2016, 09:12 PM
I love Jozy beong on our team, he is excellent in this league, is professional, and is a great personality. The photo of him after scoring the penalty against Vanouver in the season opener last year is priceless. My big concern is that the team has not figured out how to play 4-4-2 with him and Seba. It's not his fault, but we are almost better off by selling him, keeping Moore, and using the money to have the right players to play the outside midfielders in a four. Jozy is a great addition to the club. The question is, is he the right man to play with Seba?

jazzy
03-19-2016, 12:08 AM
I love Jozy beong on our team, he is excellent in this league, is professional, and is a great personality. The photo of him after scoring the penalty against Vanouver in the season opener last year is priceless. My big concern is that the team has not figured out how to play 4-4-2 with him and Seba. It's not his fault, but we are almost better off by selling him, keeping Moore, and using the money to have the right players to play the outside midfielders in a four. Jozy is a great addition to the club. The question is, is he the right man to play with Seba?

you're right but, .......everyone is missing the point about Josie , he's an injury waiting to happen . Unfortunately ! His hammies will never be the same .....He's all heart and it's a shame . He won't give up but I simply don't see a full season from him .

Hamilton_Red
03-19-2016, 03:10 AM
Well one thing is for sure - Seba is not a #9. The number of long balls from the back in the first two games has been alarming. It won't be a 4-4-2 as much as a 4-5-1 with Seba in the free role behind Jozy. All MLS teams have a weakness on either the left or right back position due to the stupid salary cap. Seba is free to move around and pick the weak points out. Jozy holds the ball up- wins long balls and cleans up in the six yard box. That's good enough.

jloome
03-22-2016, 08:46 PM
For a little fuel in the debate fire, other MLS players pick Bradley and Altidore among the most overrated, Vanney as one of four coaches no one picked to play for:

http://www.espnfc.com/major-league-soccer/story/2829426/mix-diskerud-most-overrated-mls-player-in-player-poll

mistercorporate
03-22-2016, 10:26 PM
There might be buzz that the players dont respect him as a coach.

molenshtain
03-22-2016, 10:42 PM
There might be buzz that the players dont respect him as a coach.

Or alternatively, few players who we've let go in the Vanney era are still in the league. No one knows anything about him so no one is going out of their way to play on a 'vanney team'.

There's no buzz that the players don't like him.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-23-2016, 01:40 AM
Or alternatively, few players who we've let go in the Vanney era are still in the league. No one knows anything about him so no one is going out of their way to play on a 'vanney team'.

I'm inclined to agree with this. He's had one year as a coach, did soso, no ones going to pick him over Jesse Marsch or Brucie

JuliquE
03-23-2016, 03:08 AM

I'm inclined to agree with this. He's had one year as a coach, did soso, no ones going to pick him over Jesse Marsch or Brucie
These two, together; would have thought it obvious, but thanks for saying it.

Prof
03-24-2016, 10:06 AM

Giorgos Samaras

bimmer
03-24-2016, 10:39 AM
Giorgos Samaras

Don't think his official salary was ever released by OKC but considering he was touted as a pretty big signing by them, he would most certainly be out of our current budget. On top of that, Samaras is wayyyyyy past it... like one of the most washed up players to make their way over to the MLS/NASL imo.

Detroit_TFC
03-24-2016, 11:47 AM
Sounders pick up Herc off waivers.

jloome
03-24-2016, 11:49 AM

Not sure what happened with him. Maybe they wanted more head in the game, less head in the twitterverse. He looked good the few times we used him, hungry.

portu
03-24-2016, 11:50 AM
hopefully this means some kind of cap space opens up

Ruffian
03-24-2016, 12:00 PM

I came here to get a definite answer to this question. I will probably get two different answers that are both correct.

portu
03-24-2016, 12:09 PM
I came here to get a definite answer to this question. I will probably get two different answers that are both correct.
all we really need is like 100-200k for a backup to Jozy and then I'll be happy as I can be with the squad. Ideally we'd have a more experienced winger opposite Seba but the cap just won't let that happen

Yohan
03-24-2016, 01:57 PM

Matt Pentz‏@mattpentz (https://twitter.com/mattpentz)

Lagerwey: Toronto on the hook for a "significant chunk" of Gomez's salary

portu
03-24-2016, 01:58 PM

Bez is on the hook for this, we never should have signed him

Detroit_TFC
03-24-2016, 02:11 PM
The thinking behind some of these transactions uses a form of logic that I just can't grasp. I understand the motivation for moving HG out was to open a space but why the hell would you agree to eat his wage bill? Maybe since they are compliant right now (or close enough for apparently loose cap enforcement by MLSHQ) it didn't matter? IDK.

OgtheDim
03-24-2016, 02:14 PM

Spin all over the place on this one. His contract with us only runs until the end of June.

Ivy
03-24-2016, 02:45 PM
Spin all over the place on this one. His contract with us only runs until the end of June.
I agree. Sounds like lies.

ag futbol
03-24-2016, 02:53 PM
Impossible to say with MLS's arcane levels of disclosure.

At face value our moves at the end of pre season reeked of a team desperate to shed salary. I do not think the whole Gomez saga reflects favourably on Bez, regardless of how much Laggerway is stretching the truth.

Areathrasher
03-24-2016, 02:57 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CeVoPRRUYAA_yxa.jpg

Herc drops the hammer

Stress
03-24-2016, 03:01 PM
Impossible to say with MLS's arcane levels of disclosure.

At face value our moves at the end of pre season reeked of a team desperate to shed salary. I do not think the whole Gomez saga reflects favourably on Bez, regardless of how much Laggerway is stretching the truth.

Not really, because we never cleared any salary. If anything it sounds like TFC is actually thinking of it's impact on it's players for once. Moore wanted more first team football but they couldn't guarantee it. I assume it was a similar situation for Herc and/or his contract was up in June, they knew they wouldn't be able to renegotiate a win/win extension so they let him go at the start of the season to give him more time to find another team.

So yes, eating the salary doesn't look good but at least you don't have players festering on the bench and you're improving your reputation as an organization (not screwing players over). We don't know the full extent of our cap situation so it's hard to really comment if these are having as bad of a negative impact as we assume.

On the other hand, all the GAM/TAM trades were more likely the desperation to be cap compliant.

EDIT: LOL based on Herc's comments above, ignore my post.

portu
03-24-2016, 03:01 PM

Herc drops the hammer
throwin shade

OgtheDim
03-24-2016, 03:04 PM
I like Herc but saying "Its not about the money anymore", which he also said today, is just aggravating. Its a cap league. Its ALWAYS about the ROI.

And, wait, didn't he say just about the same thing when he came here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeVca9MwDX8

molenshtain
03-24-2016, 03:20 PM
What a great fuckin move that is. I miss Costner in his prime. Great era.

notthesun
03-24-2016, 03:25 PM

Herc drops the hammer

Mark your calendars - we play Seattle at BMO on July 2nd.

I'm pretty sure his frustration is being kept around for the entirety of preseason before being dropped right before the roster compliance date. We had cap issues, no solution was found with Moore or elsewhere, so we had to drop Gomez too. I'm sure he's upset Moore got to go on trial and weigh his options away from the team while he had to train for nothing. Like Kantari, unfortunately he was another expensive, slightly desperate signing by Bez to ensure we made the playoffs last year. Thankfully the long term damage to the team appears to be pretty minimal.

portu
03-24-2016, 03:30 PM

I'm pretty sure his frustration is being kept around for the entirety of preseason before being dropped right before the roster compliance date. We had cap issues, no solution was found with Moore or elsewhere, so we had to drop Gomez too. I'm sure he's upset Moore got to go on trial and weigh his options away from the team while he had to train for nothing. Like Kantari, unfortunately he was another expensive, slightly desperate signing by Bez to ensure we made the playoffs last year. Thankfully the long term damage to the team appears to be pretty minimal.
lol he was so nice about being dropped until he got signed

Yohan
03-24-2016, 03:32 PM

I remember he use to kill us during CCL. so he's going to score a hat trick on 2 Jul :p

Detroit_TFC
03-24-2016, 03:34 PM
I think I'm more irritated with Vanney for not using him rather than Bez bringing him in over Vanney's objections (only guessing here). Still, seems promises were made that weren't kept and TFC player relations gets another bruise. I thought we were done with that kind of crap.

PopePouri
03-24-2016, 03:41 PM
This is more MLS's fault because they negotiated a contract that ran out in June. Not really TFC's fault to try and renegotiate.

Ivy
03-24-2016, 04:14 PM

Herc drops the hammer
I'd side with the player on stuff like this 4 years ago. But now... Hmmm... I think Herc's ego just got hurt. But he's right though? Seattle probably saved his career for another year.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-24-2016, 04:17 PM
in the past i would have believed our FO would have released a player in a position we need within the league and paid a significant amount of his salary. This time around, not so much.

MartinUtd
03-24-2016, 04:31 PM
His legs will be crocked after 13 weeks of playing in Seattle. I'm not too worried about July 2nd.

I am however a bit disturbed by the prospect that we're picking up a chunk of his salary while needing someone with his skill set right fucking now.

OgtheDim
03-24-2016, 05:43 PM
This is more MLS's fault because they negotiated a contract that ran out in June. Not really TFC's fault to try and renegotiate.

I wonder if MLS just bought his Liga MX contract and that's why it ended in June.

notthesun
03-24-2016, 05:51 PM
http://www.torontosun.com/2016/03/24/ex-tfc-striker-herculez-gomez-disappointed-with-how-his-time-in-toronto-abruptly-ended

Good stuff from Larson. Gomez said he was asked to take a pay cut, but it was too much for him to take in order for us to get him on the team and still be under the cap.

OgtheDim
03-24-2016, 06:15 PM
Gomez was signed in case Altidore didn't come back from his Fall injury and with the assumption that Moore would have a deal and not have to be just released with the resulting cap hit.

Turns out neither occurred.

That's on Bez.

In the end, are we better off now attack wise then we were in the Fall? I think so but a lot is going to ride on a lot of young forwards.

What sucks is the cap space used up with those 2. Again, that is on Bez.

Alonso
03-24-2016, 06:35 PM
The thinking behind some of these transactions uses a form of logic that I just can't grasp. I understand the motivation for moving HG out was to open a space but why the hell would you agree to eat his wage bill? Maybe since they are compliant right now (or close enough for apparently loose cap enforcement by MLSHQ) it didn't matter? IDK.

Exactly. If you're eating his salary.... why not keep the player?!? We need a backup striker to Jozy so why get rid of Moore, Findley AND Gomez AND eat some of their salaries?!? Gomez was/is a quality backup striker in this league and looked the part.

Really bizarre.

jazzy
03-24-2016, 06:58 PM

Herc drops the hammer

good for him ! For whatever reason he was screwed here . I'll be rooting for him , he was ALWAYS positive , a team player .

jazzy
03-24-2016, 07:02 PM
http://www.torontosun.com/2016/03/24/ex-tfc-striker-herculez-gomez-disappointed-with-how-his-time-in-toronto-abruptly-ended

Good stuff from Larson. Gomez said he was asked to take a pay cut, but it was too much for him to take in order for us to get him on the team and still be under the cap.

ask Bradley the same question ....

Hamilton_Red
03-25-2016, 02:16 AM
I remember he use to kill us during CCL. so he's going to score a hat trick on 2 Jul :p

Every ex-TFC player does. You can bet your mortgage on it. This is a sign to me that the old TFC is still lingering around. Sign a guy for a third of season..barely give him a chance and then drop him because now we can't afford him? I hate this aspect of MLS and TFc players that are rentals for half a dozen games - it is no way to develop a solid team. We are one bad injury away from being cannon fodder the team has almost no depth at the moment.

ensco
03-25-2016, 02:31 AM
There is obviously a TFC side to the story as to why they would cut him in favour of a rookie, given that the cap hit is there either way. It is pretty weird.

Management really hurt the guy by putting him on the street when we did. Most players can't catch on once the season has begun.

He is lucky, and obviously sufficient quality to overcome it, and I am glad for him.

Criticism of tactics and personnel decisions are verboten around here these days, but I wonder how we'd have looked with Gomez playing striker alongside or in front of Gio.