PDA

View Full Version : Welcome! To Your New Toronto FC Home Chad Barrett!

sidney
07-26-2008, 10:51 AM
Looking forward to see you popping in plenty of goals for TFC-Reds...WELCOME TO YOUR NEW HOME CHAD!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chad_Barrett

and Chicago's leading scorer this season:

http://web.mlsnet.com/t100/stats/index.jsp?club=t100

LucaGol
07-26-2008, 10:59 AM
I dunno why...but I feel like he will be a fan favourite here.

ManUtd4ever
07-26-2008, 11:00 AM
At this point with our current roster, he is our #1 striker by default. Hopefully his stike rate will improve over time as he matures with age...

TFC FAN72
07-26-2008, 11:00 AM
I dunno why...but I feel like he will be a fan favourite here.

With the support we give this team I am sure he is going to give it his all.

Something to be said about playing in front of people who care.

James Oliphant
07-26-2008, 11:04 AM
Please...after his first missed opportunity, there'll be 7 threads on this board calling for his head on a spit.

zeelaw
07-26-2008, 11:05 AM
Hopefully, he puts in bags of goals.

sidney
07-26-2008, 11:12 AM
He's already scored 5 this season and is Chicaco's top scores (more than Blanco) and would be tied with Danny D as TFC's top scorer....he's young, and now he's in TFC-Red!!!...coooommmm-oooonnn-CHAD!!!

NF-FC
07-26-2008, 11:12 AM
Please...after his first missed opportunity, there'll be 7 threads on this board calling for his head on a spit.

seriously, what happened to all the "fuck barrett we want rolfe" from a couple days ago

dupont
07-26-2008, 11:13 AM
skydiving is for retards! (seriously though I hope he can do well here and fit in with our team)

sidney
07-26-2008, 11:14 AM
Barrett's scored more goals than Rolfe...anyway we now have Barrett's let's give-him a big RedPatch embrace!

RealG-TFC
07-26-2008, 11:15 AM
I still think he's shit. What ever, we'll see on his first game. I don't know about you guys but I knew Cunningham was shit form day 1.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
07-26-2008, 11:15 AM
We just got a 23 year old good player for nothing!...he'll bring alot of energy....and im sure he'll bag more and more as he grows with this team!

This is a great pickup for us no doubt!

well done TFC

Canadian Blue
07-26-2008, 11:16 AM
seriously, what happened to all the "fuck barrett we want rolfe" from a couple days ago

fickle north american sports fan happened.

but seriously.....it is easy to slag someone off when they are not in TFC red but as soon as they join our team the become subjected to our full unwavering support (until they piss some people off of course, then they get the Cunny/Welsh treatment)

Cannon

More like the first time he looks the wrong way on the pitch

ManUtd4ever

I'm not so sure about that...Cunny was given the benefit of the doubt for several months before got he got any flack...

TFC FAN72
07-26-2008, 11:18 AM
We just got a 23 year old good player for nothing!...he'll bring alot of energy....and im sure he'll bag more and more as he grows with this team!

well done TFC

My thought exactly. This is how you develop a winning team.

I think his potential will increase the longer he plays here. Keep feeding him the ball and the conversion rate will go up, not down.

Roogsy
07-26-2008, 11:20 AM

What happened is that we have to accept he is now ours and we are willing to give him a chance.

Cunny got a year, I say we give Barrett the same. If by this time next year he winds up showing us he is Cunny Part Deux, he'll hear it from us.

I don't quite think he will though. Even if he struggles for goals, I hear he works hard. There is some credibility that goes along with that.

ManUtd4ever
07-26-2008, 11:20 AM

well done TFC

QFT! In the last month TFC has picked up TWO young stikers with potential in Ibrahim and Barrett for absolutely nothing...

profit89
07-26-2008, 11:23 AM
Way better than Cunny.

This is a 23 year old kid who already has 80+ caps in MLS. Not only does he have potential, but he's already a better option than cunny (useless twat).

Barrett will miss chances sure, but at least he'll get the shot off.

profit89
07-26-2008, 11:24 AM
and he works hard, unlike twat-boy cunny.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
07-26-2008, 11:26 AM
QFT! In the last month TFC has picked up TWO young stikers with potential in Ibrahim and Barrett for absolutely nothing...

Good things happen in 3's!!

Ibrahim
Barrett
O'brien White?:canada:

Building a foundation is important......thanks to Field Turf and Ronnie O'Brien...Hopefully we'll get this kid next year!

P.S
NOt a fan of turf in anyway! :)

ManUtd4ever
07-26-2008, 11:32 AM
Good things happen in 3's!!

Ibrahim
Barrett
O'brien White?:canada:

Building a foundation is important......thanks to Field Turf and Ronnie O'Brien...Hopefully we'll get this kid next year!

P.S

I just watched a breakdown of the McBride deal on the Soccer Report on Fox Sports Channel. The overall consensus of the panel was that TFC got the better end of the deal long term. With all of the draft picks Mo has stockpiled this season, TFC should have a banner year at the upcoming Superdraft!

I_AM_CANADIAN
07-26-2008, 11:35 AM
I gave Cunningham the benefit of the doubt all of last season, and at the beginning of this one... I think Barrett will do well here, he's got a lot of potential, and no doubt he'll feed off the fan support.

Roogsy
07-26-2008, 11:37 AM
True, maybe the chance in scenery will help him.

Especially to scenery as great as ours!!!

boban
07-26-2008, 11:40 AM
P.S
You prefer we play on dirt?

I_AM_CANADIAN
07-26-2008, 11:44 AM
He means turf of the artificial variety. :P

Though in some places in the UK they do play on fields made of not grass or artificial turf.

Lucky Strike
07-26-2008, 11:47 AM
Not to be Buzz Killington, but where does this say this is official? I mean, Ives and co. have reported the deal and Wikipedia has been modified, but there are still no official announcements.

TFC FAN72
07-26-2008, 11:48 AM
Not to be Buzz Killington, but where does this say this is official? I mean, Ives and co. have reported the deal and Wikipedia has been modified, but there are still no official announcements.

Supposed to be announced Monday, but it is a done deal.

I_AM_CANADIAN
07-26-2008, 11:50 AM
I've noticed that MLS haven't updated their site at all since the All Star Game, I'm sure by next week there'll be an announcement.

DigzTFC!
07-26-2008, 11:55 AM
I hope the league doesn't take its time on this one or Chicago doesn't prevent him from playing on Monday.

Dichio's hurt, Cunny sucks, Ibbe is he gone?

we have Jarrod Smith as a lone striker with Guevara in a playmaking role

We need this guy come Monday

Lucky Strike
07-26-2008, 11:56 AM
^It's not that I think you and all the sports guys are liars and what-not, but we have been let down numerous times. Thus my like for official announcements. :D I do feel more confident about this deal but you never know. I'm very eager for this to be "officially official" because Mo was hinting that it was the first piece of the puzzle. After this gets done, the ball will get rolling on summer dealings.

Bloor West FC
07-26-2008, 11:58 AM
Nice to see TFC getting the young lads in the squad. Hopefully he will be a great addition.

professor
07-26-2008, 12:02 PM
I saw UCLA play 5 or 6 times in the fall of 2004 and from that 2004 roster, only 1 player consistently stood out = Marvell Wynne!

I remember at the Superdraft in Baltimore, fans booed a GA pick, I'm pretty sure it was the Fire Fans

Anyway, what we see is what we get
I don't watch a lot of Fire games, but from what I've seen, he's a very average forward in which everyone talked about potential and his future development

Lucky Strike
07-26-2008, 12:07 PM
It's funny reading the Big Soccer Chicago board: they actually think they got a good deal because:

1) They said Barrett misses way too many sitters.
2) McBride is proven and is thus an upgrade over Barrett.

I say we got the better deal because:

1) Even though Barrett supposedly misses too many sitters, he is still their top scorer with 4 assists to boot. If that's not good enough, I don't know what is.
2) McBride may be better than Barrett but he's 36. He's good conceivably 18 months left in him?
3) We got their 1st round pick + allocation.
4) If the general theory is that Chicago gets the better deal in the short term, this is wrong because the allocation helps us build in the present.
5) We all know TFC got the better deal for the future with 23 year-old Barrett and a first-round pick.

If the deal goes down as reported, it will feel that much better that Fire fans don't know they didn't get the better end of it. AND all of this because SJ wasted their allocation on the injured-for-the-season JP Peguero who has a "knee derangement" whatever that is.

DigzTFC!
07-26-2008, 12:24 PM
[quote=Lucky Strike;106710]It's funny reading the Big Soccer Chicago board: they actually think they got a good deal

Love the enthusiasm but I don't think anyone got rinsed here:

1) Blanco is the best player in MLS and McBride is a EPL quality striker = Goal via header all day

2) If Chicago doesn't dip in form in August and McBride doesn't get hurt, this could be like handing over a championship to a conference rival.

3) Most likely our draft order will be #2, 8, 10 and what we will get from that is a mystery. Hopefully O'Brian White, Toissaint Ricketts and Tally Hall somewhere in the draft. Jakovic has gone to Belgrade already. Look for a trade or White and two GAs if possible.

4) With Tebily leaving and the impending exit of Cunny it will open up 400K plus the allocation. More than enough for a DP and another striker

At this point it looks like we can still be competitive, but here's the huge problem: WCQ and the Olympics.

TFC is really going to feel the pressure in the next couple of months: Wynne, Edu, Ibbe, Sutton, Brennan, Marshall, Guevara and possibly James will be gone at some point this season.

Where this leaves TFC in this trade....maybe a moot point....or maybe I just need to get a drink and cheer up

Jimmy The Saint
07-26-2008, 12:32 PM
He can't possibly miss as many "sitters" as Cunny has.

I think that if we even get back Dichio this season (I am praying he comes back for at LEAST a few games), a 4-4-2 with Dichio and Barrett, and Ibby coming in to sub one of them will be a great, great thing.

Welcome Chad.

rocker
07-26-2008, 12:36 PM
i'm not a fan of this guy, but anyone who has more goals than cunny is welcome at this point.

DigzTFC!
07-26-2008, 12:45 PM
So we've seen the Barrett misses....I tracked down some game highlights that paint a slightly different picture. A strong, fast, young forward that attacks defenses....that misses from time to time.

Watch the first half:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=mdt82JhE1iM

Ladies Love Julius James
07-26-2008, 12:51 PM
This is the type of deal that doesn't hurt us. He needed a Striker, we got one that scored 5 goals. Yes, he's had some misses but who hasn't...at times Jerrod has hit every part of the post and still hasn't gotten it in. I think he could work out for us and at this point, anything is greater than nothing, unless your Cunny.

Jimmy The Saint
07-26-2008, 01:13 PM
LOL--- well, he won't be able to keep his Chicago number...that one is reserved :D

Draracle
07-26-2008, 01:27 PM
Welcome Chad, you have small shoes to fill.

And we ripped everyone off on this deal.

Trade out O'Brien for cash, pick and allocation spot.
Filled O'Brien's absence with Robert.
Got McBride rights with allocation spot.
Traded McBride rights for player, cash, and pick.

Basically we dumped O'Brien and got Robert, Barrett, 2 first round picks (one of which will likely be the #2 pick), and a boat load of money.

Mo, the Scotish raider.

NateDoGG
07-26-2008, 01:46 PM
not bad not bad, better then cunny thats for sure

t.o_moose
07-26-2008, 02:01 PM
Chad Barrett...

VcNc_Pbz2m8

:D

James Oliphant
07-26-2008, 02:19 PM
I'm not so sure about that...Cunny was given the benefit of the doubt for several months before got he got any flack...

After Rohan Ricketts' first game, he was compared to Andy Welsh and questions like "what the fuck was Carver thinking bringing this guy here" were asked.

Ditto Marco Velez, who has turned into a fairly dependable defender for us.

Ditto Carl Robinson, who is the best tackler on this team but whose every mistake means he'll be ripped a new one on here within minutes.

People here (and everywhere TFC fans post) have some of the itchiest trigger-fingers I've ever seen.

Barrett had better score on his first attempt or he'll be in the doghouse permanently.

Fiin
07-26-2008, 03:18 PM
After Rohan Ricketts' first game, he was compared to Andy Welsh and questions like "what the fuck was Carver thinking bringing this guy here" were asked.

Ditto Marco Velez, who has turned into a fairly dependable defender for us.

Ditto Carl Robinson, who is the best tackler on this team but whose every mistake means he'll be ripped a new one on here within minutes.

People here (and everywhere TFC fans post) have some of the itchiest trigger-fingers I've ever seen.

Barrett had better score on his first attempt or he'll be in the doghouse permanently.

Givin our past 40 yrs in sporting.. its understandable lol..

Looking forward to seeing this kid play though, I think he'll love it here.. and I dont think we'll have 3 picks come draft time.. I think Mo has a little more u p his sleeve.. he understands the need to get it done and now has no excuses... shoudl be a fun 3 weeks :)

bdrs
07-26-2008, 03:23 PM
WELCOME!!! This kid will kill here I think.

kdzb
07-26-2008, 03:25 PM
He's already scored 5 this season and is Chicaco's top scores (more than Blanco) and would be tied with Danny D as TFC's top scorer....he's young, and now he's in TFC-Red!!!...coooommmm-oooonnn-CHAD!!!

Don't forget the assists to. he has 4.
Not only he scores but he help other teamates score as well.
I see already a good chemistery with Ibee or the other striker that we are getting soon I hope.

twistedchinaman
07-26-2008, 03:29 PM

Well,

DUH!

I'm sure we all remember what we did to Marco Velez earlier in the season...

StandUpIfYouHateChelsea
07-26-2008, 03:31 PM
screw barret , lets sign this guy http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=3837

SteeltownBhoy
07-26-2008, 03:32 PM

well done TFC

And everybody should remember, we now have 3, count them 3, 1st round draft choices next year.

london_tfc_fan
07-26-2008, 03:42 PM
[quote=DigzTFC!;106714][quote=Lucky Strike;106710]It's funny reading the Big Soccer Chicago board: they actually think they got a good deal

Love the enthusiasm but I don't think anyone got rinsed here:

1) Blanco is the best player in MLS and McBride is a EPL quality striker = Goal via header all day

maybe that combo will score all day but i gotta say de rosario is the best player in the MLS:canada:

Broadview
07-26-2008, 03:48 PM
Perusing the section 8 boards, the vast majority say good riddance to bad rubbish. However, Barrett does have his fans over there who will miss him.

Here's the "good bye Chad" thread:

http://www.soccerpubs.com/boards/index.php?showtopic=29449

Seems like he does miss sitters in a Cunny-like fashion, but unlike Cunny leaves it all on the field when he's out there. Toronto sports fans love hustle.

I'm happy with the deal. Mo's upgraded some and bought a little more wiggle room in terms of roster replenishment. Not the last piece of the puzzle but maybe we've at least found all the edge-pieces so the rest will be easier to fill in.

Blixa
07-26-2008, 03:49 PM
As the saying goes, beggars can't be choosers. We're getting this guy for free so we're not risking anything. If he scores, we'll love him, if not, he'll end up on the bench or reserve team and we'll have somebody to hate ala Cunny. At this point anyone replacing Cunny will be an improvement.

profit89
07-26-2008, 04:13 PM
yeah. cunny sux.

boban
07-26-2008, 05:03 PM
Chad Barrett...

:D
God all that graffiti looks disgusting.

arsenal
07-26-2008, 06:01 PM
Gotta love this interview of Barrett from the U20 WC .... pay particular attention to him yelling at Wynne later in the interview for a bad cross ... love to see a little emotion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEuE3u199us

Danbwoy
07-26-2008, 06:08 PM
I hope he succeeds here. We need the goals.

rocker
07-26-2008, 06:42 PM
Gotta love this interview of Barrett from the U20 WC .... pay particular attention to him yelling at Wynne later in the interview for a bad cross ... love to see a little emotion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEuE3u199us

So Marvell hasn't really learned how to cross in 3 years then.. hahah... maybe he'll enjoy Barrett yelling again... "COME ON MARVELL! CONCENTRATE!"

Richard D
07-26-2008, 07:12 PM
I hear he works hard. There is some credibility that goes along with that.

Exactly. If he misses the odd goal I could care less, as long as he hustles like those guys in new york that try to sell fake Louis Vuitton bags...

Roogsy
07-26-2008, 07:14 PM
Look at Lombardo.

He worked so hard, he continued having supporters even though he could never score a goal.

I am sure Barrett will have difficulties at times...but it's apparent that he can at least put it in the net some of the time and if he continues to show improvement and work ethic...that's all Toronto fans ever really want or expect.

a.ungaro
07-26-2008, 07:14 PM
i like the end ahhhhhh fuck

Kooper
07-26-2008, 07:17 PM

If he misses his first opportunity people here are going to want to shove that spit somewhere else.

alexintoronto
07-26-2008, 07:47 PM
Chad Barrett - Missed Opportunities & Actual Finishes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-NzDwwTb6o

rocker
07-26-2008, 07:58 PM

it's interesting that all his "lack of difficulty" actual finishes are the kind of opportunities Cunningham would never finish (particularly the header at the end). at least that gives us hope.

looking at the section 8 board, there's people who really are gonna miss the guy for his heart and determination. i don't think anyone will be starting up any "we'll miss you" threads for cunny when he goes.

MG42
07-26-2008, 08:03 PM
Welcome Chad...you now have the chance to make yourself a hero to the greatest fans in MLS :)

Dirk Diggler
07-26-2008, 08:48 PM
it's interesting that all his "lack of difficulty" actual finishes are the kind of opportunities Cunningham would never finish (particularly the header at the end). at least that gives us hope.

looking at the section 8 board, there's people who really are gonna miss the guy for his heart and determination. i don't think anyone will be starting up any "we'll miss you" threads for cunny when he goes.

Exactly. I don't care that Chad can't finish. As long as he shows any sort of determination, he will be helping the team more than Cunny ever has.

Stryker
07-26-2008, 10:22 PM
A quick word of advice if you should happen to read this Chad... even if you miss the gimmies and toe up field goals from inside the box, just stay onside and you'll be head and shoulders over Cunny.

Shakes McQueen
07-27-2008, 01:06 AM

I thought some of those (apparently easy) goals he got were the result of some relatively slick ball handling. Whoever compiled this video clearly has an axe to grind with Barrett.

Yeah, he has missed some golden opportunities, but aside from the absolute top flight of strikers in this league, who hasn't in MLS?

As someone else said - if Carver can just get him to learn when to hammer the ball, and when to just put a nice finishing touch on it, he will be an above average striker.

And as has also been said - Cunny would have missed in every single one of those scenarios.

- Scott

Inswingingwingman
07-27-2008, 07:57 AM
Words of wisdom.
Try and be onside.
If you are offside don't boot at the goal.
If you do boot it at the goal and the ball goes in the net, wait to see if it stands.
If you don't have time to wait for the above, forget the celebration.
If you decide to celebrate leave your shirt on.
If you decide to celebrate your off-side goal don't jump shirtless into the crowd.

Work hard, don't flop around like a fish, and play with a broken leg in the playoffs.
At that point you're a Canadian Icon.

colman1860
07-27-2008, 08:26 AM
Words of wisdom.
Try and be onside.
If you do boot it at the goal and the ball goes in the net, wait to see if it stands.
If you decide to celebrate your off-side goal don't jump shirtless into the crowd.

Work hard, don't flop around like a fish, and play with a broken leg in the playoffs.

Also, once you have made a complete fool of yourself by jumping into the crowd with your shirt off to celebrate your 100th MLS goal in a non-MLS game, don't sheepishly say in a post game interview that the crowd pulled you into the stands and there was nothing you could do about it.

Cashcleaner
08-02-2008, 03:07 AM
Words of wisdom.
Try and be onside.

That just might be crazy enough to work!

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-02-2008, 08:58 AM
I thought some of those (apparently easy) goals he got were the result of some relatively slick ball handling. Whoever compiled this video clearly has an axe to grind with Barrett.

Yeah, he has missed some golden opportunities, but aside from the absolute top flight of strikers in this league, who hasn't in MLS?

As someone else said - if Carver can just get him to learn when to hammer the ball, and when to just put a nice finishing touch on it, he will be an above average striker.

And as has also been said - Cunny would have missed in every single one of those scenarios.

- Scott
I agree, those aren't half as bad as some of the ones Cunningham's missed. There was one game early in the 2007 season where I swear he failed to even get a shot off on about three clear breakaways. Not to mention the tap-in that he failed to convert to win the Canadian Championship...

I don't know, maybe Chad Barrett kicked this guy in the shins on the playground one day, because calling those "dreadful misses" or whatever is really exagerating.

Rawkus_420
08-02-2008, 11:24 AM
35 shots already...5 goals...4 assists....im ok with that, just keep on shooting buddy!!!

jloome
08-02-2008, 12:27 PM
Nobody seems to talk about the four helpers, which is also pretty impressive; means he's basically accounted for nine goals.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-02-2008, 12:37 PM

Agreed.
Cunny doesnt even look that good or confident with the ball.

sidney
08-02-2008, 01:33 PM
Chad will play. Let's give him a wonderful RPB welcome!!!!!!

Draracle
08-02-2008, 02:22 PM

Man... that video was going to make me puke, then the goals came. He has a decent first touch, that ball played off his chest to his feet is a mini-el-nino. And his one touch strikes actually hit the net, including one or two in the "misses" section of the video. Nothing spectacular, but better than what we have in Cunny. Hopefully a change of pace and a new management staff will bring out the best in him... maybe pull a Buddle.