PDA

View Full Version : New To Soccer

lobby1
03-01-2016, 10:44 AM
Good Morning.
I am new to the Forum and the game of Soccer. I know very little about the game but since we have a Team in Orlando, FL I want to learn more than watching the Teams go up and down the field trying to get the ball into the net.
If you don't mind my reading the various Posts and asking what will probably be dumb questions you can help me learn the game of soccer.
Thanks.

Wagner
03-01-2016, 11:14 AM
Hi there,
welcome.

Go ahead and post some questions.
People will answer them.

Do you go to many OCSC games?
what about NCAA games?
what attracted you to our forum?

Red4ever
03-01-2016, 11:15 AM
Welcome!

Appreciate the moments between the moments, that's what made it great for me.

TFC/Everton
03-01-2016, 11:19 AM
Good Morning.
I am new to the Forum and the game of Soccer. I know very little about the game but since we have a Team in Orlando, FL I want to learn more than watching the Teams go up and down the field trying to get the ball into the net.
If you don't mind my reading the various Posts and asking what will probably be dumb questions you can help me learn the game of soccer.
Thanks.

Welcome to the beautiful game! You will never go back.

C.Ronaldo
03-01-2016, 11:37 AM
change stoppages in other sports will drive you insane once your use to watching soccer.

lobby1
03-01-2016, 11:45 AM
Hi there,
welcome.

Go ahead and post some questions.
People will answer them.

Do you go to many OCSC games?
what about NCAA games?
what attracted you to our forum?

Last year I attended 4 games, this year will depend a lot on available time with the Election.
My three Alma Maters are major NCAA football colleges, enough said.
I had some free time a few days ago so I looked on the Web for MLS Forums. Found yours and the Threads and Posts were interesting and informative. Some of the Threads are none of my business so I won't get involved in these type Threads.

Wagner
03-01-2016, 12:33 PM
Last year I attended 4 games, this year will depend a lot on available time with the Election.
I had some free time a few days ago so I looked on the Web for MLS Forums. Found yours and the Threads and Posts were interesting and informative. Some of the Threads are none of my business so I won't get involved in these type Threads.

Cool.
Get involved on the forum.
the common thread on here is that everyone loves soccer.

Fort York Redcoat
03-01-2016, 12:53 PM

Welcome. Enjoy watching this guy play while he's in Orlando. We want him back someday soon!:canada:

http://orlando-mp7static.mlsdigital.net/styles/image_landscape/s3/images/LarinCanada.jpg?H8YcOVA15LZOjf2UznUMetg27j58ai3h&itok=-lem7Wyx&c=585135e78a55389631ebabb6adb16f28

Cashcleaner
03-01-2016, 01:11 PM
change stoppages in other sports will drive you insane once your use to watching soccer.

Oh My Lord - THIS! I wouldn't say it's ruined hockey, baseball, or basketball; but you definitely notice stoppages in other sports more after following soccer for so many years. I'm not knocking the fundamentals of those games and the players who excel at them, but what's really great about soccer is how it keeps you engaged for almost the full 90 minutes.

Also, it's just a really good time to be getting into the sport here in North America. Lots of great players are developing here and ones from overseas are looking at MLS as a very attractive option for their careers.

C.Ronaldo
03-01-2016, 02:06 PM
Oh My Lord - THIS! I wouldn't say it's ruined hockey, baseball, or basketball; but you definitely notice stoppages in other sports more after following soccer for so many years. I'm not knocking the fundamentals of those games and the players who excel at them, but what's really great about soccer is how it keeps you engaged for almost the full 90 minutes.

Also, it's just a really good time to be getting into the sport here in North America. Lots of great players are developing here and ones from overseas are looking at MLS as a very attractive option for their careers.

the fundamentals of hockey and basketball never meant for TV Time Outs.

Only the last 5 minutes of basketball drives me nuts with all the mini T.Os

I would apprciate NFL alot more with a shorter clock between plays, CFLs timing isnt so bad.

If your totally new to the sport, i suggest looking at highlights of Ronaldo, Messi, Ibramovic, etc.. Some of the things they do at the pace they do it cant be human

jason
03-02-2016, 10:43 AM
I can tell you that you certainly came to the right place for an engaged forum. Very knowledgeable group of soccer fans here. I am relatively new to the sport as well after growing up a hockey fan. I have attended more MLS games than any other sport because of the atmosphere at the games. The games take on a life of their own. From fanatics banging the drums at one end to the entire crowd singing/chanting various songs throughout the match really gets the heart pounding.
I don't fully understand why there are not more fans attending these games though. TFC does well along with a few other teams but with the cost of a ticket being inexpensive compared to any other sport, why are the stadiums not full every time? Is the marketing lacking? If that is the case, whats the solution?

Fort York Redcoat
03-02-2016, 10:56 AM
I can tell you that you certainly came to the right place for an engaged forum. Very knowledgeable group of soccer fans here. I am relatively new to the sport as well after growing up a hockey fan. I have attended more MLS games than any other sport because of the atmosphere at the games. The games take on a life of their own. From fanatics banging the drums at one end to the entire crowd singing/chanting various songs throughout the match really gets the heart pounding.
I don't fully understand why there are not more fans attending these games though. TFC does well along with a few other teams but with the cost of a ticket being inexpensive compared to any other sport, why are the stadiums not full every time? Is the marketing lacking? If that is the case, whats the solution?

You can blame the lopsided sports landscape most times. In your state it will take several more decades to wrench fans from NCAA, NFL and Baseball. Isn't NASCAR huge there, too? Anyway, a lot of fight for the sports dollar. Best thing to do is enjoy oneself and pass it on. The marketing from the clubs and league can only make so many converts and they look to the fans to help with atmo and draw.

You take in many Dallas games? I know you're closer to Houston but Tesho at Dallas is who I got my eye on for his Canada connection.

http://www.thestar.com/content/dam/thestar/sports/soccer/2015/06/15/tesho-akindele-driven-to-succeed-on-pitch-for-canada-young/tesho-akindele.jpg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.jpg

jason
03-02-2016, 11:12 AM
No, I have never been up to Dallas to watch a game. I became hooked watching the Dynamo play the Galaxy a few years back. TFC fan due to growing up in the big smoke.

Fort York Redcoat
03-02-2016, 11:46 AM
No, I have never been up to Dallas to watch a game. I became hooked watching the Dynamo play the Galaxy a few years back. TFC fan due to growing up in the big smoke.

Creavalle was really the only Houston player that springs to mind that went here.

I mean it would've been great for you to see these two when they played there.

DeRo
Serioux

But that was before we were in the league

james
03-02-2016, 05:30 PM

This is the biggest thing for me. I find it very difficult to watch other pro sports in USA/Canada because of all the time wasted for commercials. I never noticed this until I got really big into Soccer watching Soccer in England ( I got into Soccer during the 2004 NHL Hockey strike) Now I just notice how much time is wasted on commercials. NFL Football is the worst of them all, but Basketball and Hockey have a lot of wasted time for commercial breaks as well. I find it difficult to watch NHL now (doesn't help that the Leafs are awful) but I prefer to watch Olympics Hockey or things like the Spengler Cup, I notice those games usually don't stop for commercials (they might try squeeze one 15 second commercial in before the puck is dropped again to resume play) but how much better the sport is when the game is constant flowing!!

lobby1
03-02-2016, 06:11 PM
I want to Thank all the those that Posted I appreciate it. Right now my job will have me "out of pocket" for three weeks and I didn't want you to think I'm ignoring the Forum and its Members.
I'll be back.

Cashcleaner
03-03-2016, 09:17 AM
I can tell you that you certainly came to the right place for an engaged forum. Very knowledgeable group of soccer fans here.

Aww shucks.... :o

I am relatively new to the sport as well after growing up a hockey fan. I have attended more MLS games than any other sport because of the atmosphere at the games. The games take on a life of their own. From fanatics banging the drums at one end to the entire crowd singing/chanting various songs throughout the match really gets the heart pounding.
I don't fully understand why there are not more fans attending these games though. TFC does well along with a few other teams but with the cost of a ticket being inexpensive compared to any other sport, why are the stadiums not full every time? Is the marketing lacking? If that is the case, what's the solution?

Make no mistake, as much as we tend to notice empty seats at BMO Field on certain days, TFC is still one of the top clubs in the league for average attendance. In fact, here you can see that we were only beaten out by three other clubs (http://soccerstadiumdigest.com/mls-attendance-2015/). Now, all of which have come into the league after us so you can attribute some of their high attendance to the novelty effect that all teams have had in their first few years. TFC, on the other hand, is well past the Honeymoon phase and we're still racking up good crowds - so that's something to consider. If a club is seeing crowds around twenty thousand after five years, they are doing quite well.

But you're right to say that BMO Field can still have a lot of empty seats on certain days. There's a lot of reasons for it, some are well within the club's ability to change, but a lot are also due to circumstances beyond TFC's control. Weather can be a BIG factor given how BMO Field is completely exposed to the elements (though that will obviously change this season). It's never been enough to keep me away, but for couples or families with small children it may. There can also be a lot of other events going on in the city that may prevent people for attending - perhaps most often by traffic issues or something along those lines.

As for other MLS teams in general (which I think was the main point of your post), FYR sorta hit the nail on the head. The US is INUNDATED with all sorts of sports playing at many different levels, so we really have to accept that soccer is one choice out of several people will be making for their entertainment. During the start of the MLS season you've got pro and college hockey and basketball heading into their respective post-seasons. And to compound things, pro and college baseball is played over the spring, summer, and fall as well. Like many have said, MLS teas aren't just competing with each other for local fans, but they have to compete with other sports and events to take any hard-earned entertainment dollars from the public. I think it's great that MLS is slowly starting to gain momentum in the US - I'd argue in Canada it's been growing in leaps and bounds, but especially in tough economic times will we continue to see empty seats at least for the foreseeable future.

Steelers7
03-03-2016, 11:34 AM
This is the biggest thing for me. I find it very difficult to watch other pro sports in USA/Canada because of all the time wasted for commercials. I never noticed this until I got really big into Soccer watching Soccer in England ( I got into Soccer during the 2004 NHL Hockey strike) Now I just notice how much time is wasted on commercials. NFL Football is the worst of them all, but Basketball and Hockey have a lot of wasted time for commercial breaks as well. I find it difficult to watch NHL now (doesn't help that the Leafs are awful) but I prefer to watch Olympics Hockey or things like the Spengler Cup, I notice those games usually don't stop for commercials (they might try squeeze one 15 second commercial in before the puck is dropped again to resume play) but how much better the sport is when the game is constant flowing!!

you're right about football but on the flip side it's still the most compelling of any sport due to only have 16 games and each one counts.
MLS with having the amount of games it does, is next for me though and the point structure plays a huge factor of course
Hockey you can stink until the new year and then go on a run and make the playoffs since all the teams make it lol same with baseketball lol
Although I'm still trying to figure out how you get a point for losing in hockey. No one can answer it either :)

lobby1
03-04-2016, 05:20 PM
Hi, I work for lobby1, he will be unable to access the Forum for several weeks.
He ask me to inquire if the TFC were playing Orlando City in Orlando this season and if so could you tell me when.
Thank you.

Cashcleaner
03-06-2016, 01:02 AM
^ TFC plays at Orlando on June 25th and August 24th.

lobby1
03-07-2016, 10:49 AM
Thank you for the info. I'll pass this on.
Have A GOOD DAY.

james
03-09-2016, 01:10 AM
you're right about football but on the flip side it's still the most compelling of any sport due to only have 16 games and each one counts.
MLS with having the amount of games it does, is next for me though and the point structure plays a huge factor of course
Hockey you can stink until the new year and then go on a run and make the playoffs since all the teams make it lol same with baseketball lol
Although I'm still trying to figure out how you get a point for losing in hockey. No one can answer it either :)

I will never like American Football just due to the stoppage of play nature..that's just me tho, But I completely get what you mean by Hockey and Basketball having to many games vs NFL season being short which keeps it exciting as far as every game matters. The season really does get boring and drags on to much with to many games. Its why again I learned to really like the soccer model...you play usually around 34-46 league games depending what country and division you are in..but then in between that you usually have cup games like FA Cup (I think every country usually has there own version of the FA Cup) then you have things like the Europa League and Champions League (which again South America, North America exc have there own versions), then following those you have things like World Cup and Euro Cup. if you get bored of one tournament or Season play there is always another tournament to follow every few weeks. I find its hard to stay focused on NHL Hockey season play for 82 games straight without much else going on (tho I do like in Hockey the Spengler Cup and World Junior Championship in December, and every 4 years the Olympics in February, gives something interesting at the half way mark of the season, to bad it usually lasts only 2 weeks at the most tho) Basketball and Baseball don't even have that (Baseball is more like 162? games). I think to many games of just 1 season play drags on to much and most games mean hardly anything.

I like that Soccer has so many different tournaments always going on, keeps things exciting and things to watch as a fan. Its like when I was a kid playing Hockey, I would have 1 or 2 tournaments in the season besides my own league season to play for, and I loved it, I think I still feel the same way as a fan to keep me excited. Just the league only can get boring especially when you follow a team like the Leafs...82 games? most of the season meant nothing. To many games without anything else going on.

molenshtain
03-09-2016, 01:23 AM
And despite all the competition this league has for eyes, it's still the fifth most attended league in the world. Those who care, show up. MLS game days, and the broader community even, has always felt much more intimate than any other NA sport or league. It's one of the special things about it that keep so many of us coming back.

Steelers7
03-09-2016, 08:56 AM
I will never like American Football just due to the stoppage of play nature..that's just me tho, But I completely get what you mean by Hockey and Basketball having to many games vs NFL season being short which keeps it exciting as far as every game matters. The season really does get boring and drags on to much with to many games. Its why again I learned to really like the soccer model...you play usually around 34-46 league games depending what country and division you are in..but then in between that you usually have cup games like FA Cup (I think every country usually has there own version of the FA Cup) then you have things like the Europa League and Champions League (which again South America, North America exc have there own versions), then following those you have things like World Cup and Euro Cup. if you get bored of one tournament or Season play there is always another tournament to follow every few weeks. I find its hard to stay focused on NHL Hockey season play for 82 games straight without much else going on (tho I do like in Hockey the Spengler Cup and World Junior Championship in December, and every 4 years the Olympics in February, gives something interesting at the half way mark of the season, to bad it usually lasts only 2 weeks at the most tho) Basketball and Baseball don't even have that (Baseball is more like 162? games). I think to many games of just 1 season play drags on to much and most games mean hardly anything.

I like that Soccer has so many different tournaments always going on, keeps things exciting and things to watch as a fan. Its like when I was a kid playing Hockey, I would have 1 or 2 tournaments in the season besides my own league season to play for, and I loved it, I think I still feel the same way as a fan to keep me excited. Just the league only can get boring especially when you follow a team like the Leafs...82 games? most of the season meant nothing. To many games without anything else going on.

I hear you on the stoppages in NA futbol lol
There was a study in 2010 or 11 on what the average play is time wise and it came to be roughly 3-6 seconds and over the course of an entire game that worked out to be about 11mins (also including kick off run backs, punts etc) of LIVE game action in a 60min game.
In the end either you like it or you don't and part of it for people is the understanding of the game and how it works cause its literally human chess. Plus if you don't have a team to cheer for that makes it tough too lol

Totally agree with you on the NHL, NBA and MLB front.
Regular seasons for all 3 for the most part are pointless if your team stinks.
As you said for hockey special events like the olympics and this year the world cup of hockey will be fun to watch because you get the best of the best. I also find playoff hockey amazing because you can't win a game in a skills competition, OT is actually entertaining.

You're bang on with baseball having 162 games (its painful cause it's so llllooooooonnnnnnngggggg lol) but last year of course was great after the all star break with the Jays and I'm sure most people in the city are hoping for another entertaining season.

Lastly, with all the tournaments for soccer, I think that's what keeps it fresh and interesting as every 2 years there's a big tournament with Euro this year then the World Cup and so on.
I'm just glad that MLS doesn't really overlap with the NFL season for me lol

lobby1
03-18-2016, 07:57 PM
Lobby 1 should be back next week, during a telecom with him today he requested I ask you how many MLS Teams are there in Canada?
Appreciate your help.

MightyDM
03-18-2016, 08:17 PM
Hi, I work for lobby1, he will be unable to access the Forum for several weeks.
He ask me to inquire if the TFC were playing Orlando City in Orlando this season and if so could you tell me when.
Thank you.

Gotta say Red Patch Boys Forum has TOTALLY made it when someone pays an assistant to post! MLSE, ARE YOU LISTENING? This Forum is where it is at man!

MightyDM
03-18-2016, 08:19 PM
And despite all the competition this league has for eyes, it's still the fifth most attended league in the world. Those who care, show up. MLS game days, and the broader community even, has always felt much more intimate than any other NA sport or league. It's one of the special things about it that keep so many of us coming back.

yes, Bingo. Dead on.

portu
03-18-2016, 08:45 PM
Lobby 1 should be back next week, during a telecom with him today he requested I ask you how many MLS Teams are there in Canada?
Appreciate your help.
Three. Vancouver Whitecaps, Montreal Impact and Toronto FC

lobby1
03-18-2016, 08:53 PM
Gotta say Red Patch Boys Forum has TOTALLY made in when someone pays an assistant to post! MLSE, ARE YOU LISTENING? This Forum is where it is at man!

A little info for you.
Lobby1 lives in Florida but his office is in DC. There are nine of us that are Direct Reports to Lobby1, seven of us in DC, one in Las Vegas and one in Palmdale,CA. Eight Engineering Managers and one Government Contract Manager. Our employer is a US Aerospace and Defense Contractor.
Have a Good Evening.

MightyDM
03-18-2016, 09:16 PM
A little info for you.
Lobby1 lives in Florida but his office is in DC. There are nine of us that are Direct Reports to Lobby1, seven of us in DC, one in Las Vegas and one in Palmdale,CA. Eight Engineering Managers and one Government Contract Manager. Our employer is a US Aerospace and Defense Contractor.
Have a Good Evening.

Excellent! Thank you for the info. , and all of us wish you success in your work. We will see you in DC!

Defoe
03-20-2016, 04:36 PM
Welcome. Enjoy watching this guy play while he's in Orlando. We want him back someday soon!:canada:

http://orlando-mp7static.mlsdigital.net/styles/image_landscape/s3/images/LarinCanada.jpg?H8YcOVA15LZOjf2UznUMetg27j58ai3h&itok=-lem7Wyx&c=585135e78a55389631ebabb6adb16f28

He looks really good in purple but he would look even better in RED.

And if it's Man United Red and not TFC red one day I won't complain :)

Fort York Redcoat
03-21-2016, 08:36 AM
He looks really good in purple but he would look even better in RED.

And if it's Man United Red and not TFC red one day I won't complain :)

I agree but if we're in agreement you REALLY need a name changeg:D.

Best news is we get to see him in a brand spankin new RED kit this Fri night!!!:canada:

Mark in Ottawa
04-11-2016, 12:40 PM
We only have 8 professional soccer teams in the whole of Canada ...
3 in MLS - Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver
2 in NASL - Edmonton and Ottawa
3 in USL - Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver.

Given the ownership relationship between the MLS and USL franchises this results in us only having 5 teams competing in our Canadian Club Championship.
A lot smaller than your US Open Cup competition.