PDA

View Full Version : 2016 MLS Team End-of-Season Table Speculation

Initial B
02-29-2016, 04:08 PM
As I've been constructing my Fantasy team, I've been reading a lot about the various teams and their strengths and weaknesses. It's gotten me to wondering just how does everyone think the season will shake out by the time we get to the pusplops. I've put together a final standings where I think the teams will end up at the end of the year:

EASTERN CONFERENCE
1. Columbus - They probably have the most together to continue their run of form from last year.
2. NYRB - The loss of Miazga makes me wonder about their backline
3. TFC - I think they've improved their defence, but by how much?
4. L'Impact - Improved with the addition of Shipp, but how will Drogba handle a full season?
5. NE Revs - About the same as they were last year even without Jones.
6. Orlando - The Lions improved the midfield, but the defense is still a question and how did the FO turmoil affect the players?
7. Philly - Slightly better than DCU this year, but still not sure if their whole is greater than the parts.
8. DC United - Old and the wheels are starting to wobble.
9. NYCFC - I think Viera is in for a rude shock. If their DPs end up starters and not subs, they'll wear out before end of season.
10. Chicago - The new coach is just looking for pieces to fit into his system. Where TFC was in 2013.

WESTERN CONFERENCE
1. FC Dallas - They have a coach who knows what he's doing and a young core that has grown together.
2. Seattle - The Cascadia teams are all interchangeable here, Seattle still has a slow backline, but good homegrowns.
3. Portland - Lost a couple of good midfielders so lack depth, not sure how they'll handle it if Chara, Valeri, and/or Nagbe go down.
4. Vancouver - How Morales goes, so goes the season. Turf on Joints probably aren't good.
5. LA Galaxy - Age is a factor here again, how will they hand'e a full season of travel?
6. Sporting KC - Not sure if their reluctance to pay for quality will allow them to catch up to the rest of the pack.
7. SJ Earthquakes - Haven't seen much improvement. Wondo is probably past his best production.
8. Houston - Not sure Maidana's the answer. may be another year of learning for Coyne.
9. RSL - Another case of rickety wheels. If Beckerman and Morales's knees give out don't see much improvement even with old-new CF.
10. Colorado - Not sure they have a plan.

I won't hazard a guess as to what will happen in the pusplops as it probably will come down to the team with the hottest streak at the time. So how do you people think the season will eventually shake out?

Fort York Redcoat
03-01-2016, 10:13 AM
Wow this is next level prediction! Go to it, B!

Detroit_TFC
03-01-2016, 10:26 AM
I sat down to do a ranking, it's too damn hard. Eastern Conf is not going to be as wank as last season. The real wild card for me is Chicago. Pauno is legit but he probably needs more time to implement his system. If he can get a decent season out of the current Chicago roster, could make it tough for us and Orlando.

OgtheDim
03-01-2016, 10:48 AM
East

NYRB
NYCFC
TFC
Columbus
Impact
NER
Philly
Orlando
Chicago
DCU

Initial B
03-01-2016, 01:20 PM
Wow this is next level prediction! Go to it, B!
Well, I'm an Engineering Analyst wonk by trade, so I enjoy doing this sort of stuff for fun. If it gets people talking/complaining, my work is done. :)

Chicago aren't going to do anything this year until the coach has a season to figure out what he has and what he's missing. I found the Western Conference harder to rank than the Eastern Conference.

OgtheDim
03-01-2016, 01:25 PM
...Chicago aren't going to do anything this year until the coach has a season to figure out what he has and what he's missing. I found the Western Conference harder to rank than the Eastern Conference.

I'm still unsold on a coach who's only experience is an U-20 for one country and does not really know this league - he spent half a season with Philly and now he's an MLS veteran?!?!?!

Detroit_TFC
03-01-2016, 01:35 PM
The bar is pretty low in Chicago. Paunovic only has to do a middling job to be an improvement.

molenshtain
03-01-2016, 01:39 PM
East

NYRB
NYCFC
TFC
Columbus
Impact
NER
Philly
Orlando
Chicago
DCU

Why do you have the Yankee - abu dhabi conglomerate so high? nothing indicates they fixed their problems from last year.

OgtheDim
03-01-2016, 01:44 PM
Why do you have the Yankee - abu dhabi conglomerate so high? nothing indicates they fixed their problems from last year.

I just get the feeling that they are going to go on a late run and nip us all. Hey who would have predicted NYRB last season?

molenshtain
03-01-2016, 01:51 PM
I just get the feeling that they are going to go on a late run and nip us all. Hey who would have predicted NYRB last season?

well tbf, they were coming off a season where they went to the conference finals and were two years removed from winning the supporters shield. They had a core there that knew what it was doing. NYCFC have a totally awkwardly constructed roster and a coach who's never had to deal with the extremities of this league. I think they'll be closer to last than they are first.

Ben - D.O.W.
03-01-2016, 01:52 PM
5. LA Galaxy - Age is a factor here again, how will they hand'e a full season of travel?

Can't argue with much from your post, but I think I'd put LA higher - say 3rd in the West. I'm still not sold on Portland in the middle (like you said), and I think Martins is going to be a bigger loss than Seattle expects.

CBTFC
03-01-2016, 01:58 PM
*random speculation and crapshoot guessing*

there, that's my answer.

Initial B
03-01-2016, 11:36 PM
Can't argue with much from your post, but I think I'd put LA higher - say 3rd in the West.
<looks over at Carnage in Mexico>
You sure about that?

notthesun
03-02-2016, 02:07 AM
My conference predictions featuring extremely short hot takes:

West:

1. Dallas - Decent talent plus the best manager
2. Portland - Didn't lose much from title-winning squad
3. Kansas City - Reliably solid
4. Vancouver - Not convinced they've solved goalscoring woes
5. Seattle - Thin up front & Dempsey always slows down after mid-season
6. Salt Lake - Movsisyan gets them over the hump
7. L.A. - Too old, midfield an issue
8. San Jose - Okay DPs and okay roster players gets you an okay squad
9. Houston - Lacking talent
10. Colorado - Complete tire fire

East:
1. Columbus - Well constructed and well drilled, plus Kamara
2. Montreal - Talented, confident and with a working system, but a Drogba long term injury from panic mode
3. NYRB - Defensively weaker sees them slip a.little, but high press and offensive talent will still serve them well
4. Toronto - Up and down season as the kinks are worked out, but powered through on the back of the DPs and an improved defense
5. Orlando - The best of the rest and no sophomore slump for Larin
6. New England - Sputtering, but just enough to make the playoffs
7. D.C. - Lacking in offensive talent, goals will prove too difficult to come by
8. Philadelphia - Midfield improving quickly and Blake is legit, but back line and strike force too weak
9. Chicago - Just picking up the pieces and evaluating for a rebuild
10. NYCFC - Question marks abound on DPs, back line, structure and manager; too many issues to work out in one season

Blindside16
03-02-2016, 04:40 AM
West:
1) Dallas
2) Kansas City
3) Portland
4) Vancouver
5) San Jose
6) Seattle
7) Houston
8) LA
9) RSL
10) Colorado

East:
1) Columbus
2) NYRB
3) TFC
4) New England
5) L'Impact
6) Orlando
7) Philadelphia
8) D.C
9) NYCFC
10) Chicago

OgtheDim
03-02-2016, 06:58 AM
West

Dallas
Vancouver
Portland
San Jose
Seattle
RSL
LAG
Colorado
Houston
SKC

Ben - D.O.W.
03-02-2016, 09:22 AM
<looks over at Carnage in Mexico>
You sure about that?

I'm not sure I'd ever bet against Arena, but yeah he might have his work cut out for him this year. More than I thought anyway.

PopePouri
03-02-2016, 10:05 AM
West:

1. Vancouver - Looks good in 4-1-4-1 formation. Think they have all the right pieces to win it.
2. Seattle - Even without Martins, looked very good against a very good Club America. Have an excellent backline.
3. Dallas - Have an excellent young core. Think they'll be edged out by the 2 above.
4. Portland - Don't know about them. Had a mediocre regular season until they switched to a 4-3-3. Don't know if that will allow them to remain consistent but they have enough talent to get over the line.
5. Salt Lake - Movsisyan will solve their scoring woes. Questions at the back though with an aging and injured prone Olave. Maund starting as well doesn't give much confidence.
6. Houston - Picked up some decent MLS pieces. Think there will be some improvement this year.
7. Kansas City - Question marks around who is going to score the goals besides Dwyer.
8. L.A. - Question marks everywhere. They were tire fire in preseason and in CCL. They don't have the legs in midfield, no balance up front, and Van Damme is a converted LB.
9. San Jose - That aging core will catch up to them this year
10. Colorado - Gashi isn't going to help them.

East:

1. Toronto - I'm an optimist.
2. New England - Getting Koffie was huge for them. That midfield of Caldwell, Koffie and Nguyen will wreck shop.
3. Columbus - Hell of a team. Don't think they've addressed the back line but they have incredible attacking options.
4. NYRB - Perrinelle and Miazga made an excellent partnership last year. Does the new additions keep them solid? I don't know.
5. Montreal - Don't think Drogba plays a full season. Shipp in the midfield is still excellent.
6. Orlando - A reminder that Kaka is injury prone, old and they play on turf. Think something will happen there.
7. Chicago - Have a couple of decent pieces. Gilberto will shine this season.
8. D.C. - Olsen has an aging squad but the loss of Kitchen and Hamid (injury) will cause them to struggle.
9. NYCFC - Villa will still get goals. Their midfield is still a mess.
8. Philadelphia - Not much depth up front, moved out their top creator and brought in a number of draft picks.

Initial B
11-17-2016, 10:25 AM
Just thought I'd bump this to give us all something to laugh at while we wait for Tuesday to roll around...

Detroit_TFC
11-17-2016, 10:49 AM
This season had some unexpected turns, to say the least. Not sure which is the bigger shock - Colorado or Columbus.

DIEHARDTFC
11-17-2016, 11:49 AM
lol wow, none of the predictions in this thread saw Colorado having the season they did...and now there's a chance they host the MLS cup final.

Star01
11-18-2016, 07:49 AM
hi everybody , i do not know sorry

Ivy
11-18-2016, 09:52 AM
hi everybody , i do not know sorry
Sometimes, really early in the morning, I do not know either.