PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Saturday, July 26

denime
07-26-2008, 07:22 AM
Chanting TFC fans finally get their striker in Barrett
Deal with Fire sees former Fulham star McBride head back home to Chicago

MORGAN CAMPBELL
Thursday night Toronto FC head coach John Carver played fan for once, watching the league's all-star game from a seat in the northwest corner of BMO Field.
But soon after spotting him, fans reminded Carver that TFC's most pressing needs hadn't taken a night off, even if the coach had.
"Where's our striker?" they chanted.
It looks like a striker is on the way, namely Chicago's Chad Barrett.
The 23-year-old forward is part of the package TFC will receive from the Fire in return for Chicago area native and former Fulham star Brian McBride.
"For Brian McBride to come back and finish his career in his home town, I'm excited ... for him," TFC director of soccer Mo Johnston said yesterday. "I've got no doubt he'll go on to bigger and better things after his career."

Read more (http://www.thestar.com/Sports/Soccer/article/467736)

Toronto FC complete McBride deal

LARRY MILLSON
TORONTO — The finishing touches were being made yesterday to a deal that would send Brian McBride to the Chicago Fire and Chad Barrett to Toronto FC in an exchange of strikers.
McBride, 36, has just finished his career with the English side Fulham and wants to return to Major League Soccer with Chicago. He is from the Chicago area.
Barrett, 23, has five goals for the Fire this season.
McBride will be playing immediately for the U.S. Olympic team, while Barrett, from San Diego, was a candidate for the U.S. team, but was not selected and thus would be able to begin playing for Toronto as soon as the deal is official.
Toronto has had McBride's MLS allocation rights and for several weeks the clubs have been trying to work out the details. The deal will likely be announced on Monday.

Read more (http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080725.wspt-mcbride0725/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer/home)

Steve Nash joins push to bring MLS to Vancouver

NBA superstar Steve Nash announced Friday that he has invested in the Vancouver Whitecaps as part of the team's bid to bring Major League Soccer to the city.
The Whitecaps currently play in the United States Soccer League First Division, one level below MLS, but are looking to become one of two expansion teams that will begin play in MLS in 2011.
Nash said he would not be a majority owner, but will put a significant amount of money toward the project. Nash will join current Whitecaps owner Greg Kerfoot.
"I am really excited to be a part of the Whitecaps organization and play a role in our application to join Major League Soccer," said Nash. "This new partnership is a great fit for me. My passion for soccer and commitment to the community is well aligned with the Whitecaps vision."

Read more (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2008/07/25/steve-nash-whitecaps-mls.html)

TFC, Fire agree on McBride deal

NEW YORK -- Brian McBride finally appears to be going home.
Toronto FC has agreed in principle to trade its rights to the former U.S. national team striker to the Chicago Fire, a person familiar with the negotiations said.
With the move, McBride returns to the United States after four years with Fulham in the English Premier League.
The announcement on McBride, a native of the northern Chicago suburb of Arlington Heights, could come as early as Monday, said the person, who requested anonymity because all details were not complete.
The 36-year-old McBride, who played eight years in MLS for the Columbus Crew before joining Fulham, finished his contract with the London club in May.

Read more (http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/OtherSports/2008/07/26/6270446-sun.html)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/SUNshineGirl/home.html) :)

CoachGT
07-26-2008, 07:58 AM
Thanks demine. Gotta say I look forward to Morgan Campbell's column.

London
07-26-2008, 09:07 AM
i think barrett will fit in nicely with all the service he should get!!

jloome
07-26-2008, 11:29 AM
He got lots of service in Chicago. His finishing is his problem, but he's only 23. The fact that he has the speed and foot control to create so many of his own chances means he's still a significant prospect. But I've seen him put it over the bar from literally two feet in front of the goal line as well, so he's been a bit cursed so far.

DigzTFC!
07-26-2008, 12:02 PM
He got lots of service in Chicago. His finishing is his problem, but he's only 23. The fact that he has the speed and foot control to create so many of his own chances means he's still a significant prospect. But I've seen him put it over the bar from literally two feet in front of the goal line as well, so he's been a bit cursed so far.

I agree....but so are Jarrod Smith and Cunny. I think his work rate will produce more than those two put together. Looking at the montage of misses, I know it will sound weird, but they were better misses? than Cunny's and Smith's. I mean some of those were headers and side volleys. Something Cunningham couldn't do. His foot control looked excellent on the Rolfe goal where he took it in from the left and dribbled past three guys to lay it off. Only Guevara tries that from a striker's position (not that there is a comparison there). I think if a guy can beat the defence on the dribble, draw them out and then lay it off, our midfield are more than capable of hammering it home.

T0R0NT0 FC
07-26-2008, 12:03 PM
Well hopefully the change in scenery will get him back on track... and as Mo said, hopefully this deal being done will help the other deals fall in place and be finalized. :noidea: