PDA

View Full Version : MLS v.s. Serie A

Blindside16
02-09-2016, 05:21 AM
I'm not sure if anyone else saw this article from fourfourtwo.com but it is an interesting read to say the least. I would like to see the MLS become one of the giants in world football but to suggest that we are chomping on the heels of Serie A might be a bit much at this point. It does raise a bunch of talking points though. What are all your thoughts?

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/could-mls-overtake-serie#:L4YuL5T9m4vAVA

Ultra & Proud
02-09-2016, 08:04 AM
I'm not sure if anyone else saw this article from fourfourtwo.com but it is an interesting read to say the least. I would like to see the MLS become one of the giants in world football but to suggest that we are chomping on the heels of Serie A might be a bit much at this point. It does raise a bunch of talking points though. What are all your thoughts?

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/could-mls-overtake-serie#:L4YuL5T9m4vAVA
Until the salary cap raises to at least the Mexican level, we're chomping on the heels of no major football associations. Of course for how low the league's salary budgets are, the league as a whole is punching over it's weight though. It's all baby steps with MLS but over the past 2 years the quality of play has made another jump up as has the reduction of goonery. It's already better than a lot of lower tier Euro leagues now. Going forward I think two main things are holding the league back from making a huge jump forward; one is obviously the cheap ass salary cap and the other is the cheap ass officiating. Both fairly easy, fixable problems but would take some investment and a break from the baby steps pattern the owners love so much.

Ajax TFC
02-09-2016, 09:22 AM
If MLS is closing the gap on Serie A, then it's also closing on the EPL. Because Serie A is about to pass the EPL in the coefficient rankings. Now, of course the gap in quality is closing, but that doesn't mean it isn't still a pretty significant gap

Yohan
02-09-2016, 10:11 AM
I'd argue that in some areas, MLS has surpassed Serie A, especially a lot of things related to business and infrastructure.

C.Ronaldo
02-09-2016, 10:20 AM
sillyness

what kind of player has Serie A evee produced? :facepalm:

Facilities/ infrastructure aside, how can you even make the comparison

TheGoodson
02-09-2016, 10:37 AM
Guys, I'm not sure if you watch games, but the talent level is not even close. It's like when comparing the BPL to the mls the teams are champions level at best. Business wise Serie A has 3 teams in the top 20 of the richest clubs in the world, the smaller teams don't generate as much money but still their TV deal alone is worth more than the MLS and the MLS deal also involves the USMNT which inflates that dollar value of the contract. The only thing the MLS might have is quality of stadiums as the majority are old and not conducive to providing fan enjoyment as they far from the pitch due to having a track around the pitch. But that is starting to change as some clubs have either built their own stadium or in the process of getting approval for them.

So at the end of the day the MLS should be happy where it is and have a plan to grow, comparing to leagues with the history of the top 4-5 in Europe is quite funny as all we can offer is money there is no prestige playing in the MLS. The message from the league that we are going to be a top league by whatever date is just rhetoric. The MLS should just enjoy the growth of the league and let it evolve into what it will evolve to.

Onyx
02-09-2016, 10:38 AM
I'd argue that in some areas, MLS has surpassed Serie A, especially a lot of things related to business and infrastructure.

lets get close to MX or even CSL first. if this offseason is an indication MX still uses MLS as their farm system

Ultra & Proud
02-09-2016, 11:19 AM
lets get close to MX or even CSL first. if this offseason is an indication MX still uses MLS as their farm system

Overtaking Liga MX should be priority #1. After that they can start talking about it being a worldwide, big player. At the rate they let it grow, it should pass MX in about 10 years or so.

Fort York Redcoat
02-09-2016, 11:26 AM

Liga MX - The Mexican League

CSL? Cause we've talked about on this site is no longer sanctioned by FIFA. Which league are you referencing?

Ultra & Proud
02-09-2016, 11:33 AM
CSL? Cause we've talked about on this site is no longer sanctioned by FIFA. Which league are you referencing?
I was wondering this too and if it is that league then how can anyone think MLS isn't up to that level yet? That's about the same gap as MLS has to Serie A.

burlington Red
02-09-2016, 11:50 AM
Liga MX - The Mexican League

I assume chinese league

Ultra & Proud
02-09-2016, 11:58 AM
I assume chinese league
Okay that makes more sense but if you ever watch that league, and no I don't care how they competed in tournaments because the Impact did a run in CCL when they were a USL squad, that league is garbage. I am sure it's getting better but it's terrible as of last season. Really bad. The only thing that league has on MLS is no salary cap restraints.

Fort York Redcoat
02-09-2016, 12:47 PM
I assume chinese league

Yep. You win.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/0d/Chinese_Super_League_Logo_2.png/180px-Chinese_Super_League_Logo_2.png

China Super League.

Apparently.

burlington Red
02-09-2016, 01:43 PM
Okay that makes more sense but if you ever watch that league, and no I don't care how they competed in tournaments because the Impact did a run in CCL when they were a USL squad, that league is garbage. I am sure it's getting better but it's terrible as of last season. Really bad. The only thing that league has on MLS is no salary cap restraints.

I've never watched a game in it to be honest.
I will probably a little this season though, when you see players like Ramires, Marinez and Texiera signing, it does make it worth a look.I heard one of the teams has bid 38 million quid for Payet at West Ham, so no sign of the big deals slowing down

burlington Red
02-09-2016, 01:50 PM
haha check this out, slow news day I guess

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/35516612

Ultra & Proud
02-09-2016, 02:35 PM
I've never watched a game in it to be honest.
I will probably a little this season though, when you see players like Ramires, Marinez and Texiera signing, it does make it worth a look.I heard one of the teams has bid 38 million quid for Payet at West Ham, so no sign of the big deals slowing down
I did because of the last wave of 'stars' they bought with Anelka. Just on the internet and couldn't handle a full match. Just casually browsed it I would say.

Ivy
02-09-2016, 02:37 PM
Let me know when a Serie A team makes something like this. This is embarrassing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TANlnORca6Y

Ajax TFC
02-09-2016, 03:04 PM
I think at most the Chinese league could end up on a similar level to the Russian league. But even the Russian league has the UCL to compete for, which Chinese clubs don't. And I have a hard time believing that China is a more attractive destination than NA for the majority of players.

Onyx
02-09-2016, 03:18 PM
yep you win.

sorry, all the china super league talk isn't in this thread is in another of the active ones.

Detroit_TFC
02-09-2016, 03:22 PM
There is no doubt big money is flowing into the Chinese league now (and national teams too I'd assume) but up to now the whole enterprise has been a shambles in terms of credibility and infrastructure - the list goes on. The governmental sports bigwigs are much more involved now, on directive from the Chinese president, who is pushing this drive. It remains to be seen if it will be stable enough to retain these imported players.

OgtheDim
02-09-2016, 03:27 PM
If the Chinese league follows the examples of the last few decades of command built enterprises, be prepared for big stadiums with few people in them.

TheGoodson
02-09-2016, 03:46 PM
It has the feel of the old NASL.... Spending wads of cash on players

But if I remember correctly Drogba had his contract rescinded as he wasn't getting paid, same with Anelka

eustacchio
02-09-2016, 04:03 PM
Let me know when a Serie A team makes something like this. This is embarrassing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TANlnORca6Y

That's terrible on a number of levels - never mind the obvious, but did nobody listen to the lyrics before they decided to use it for a renewal campaign.

Hi, yeah, it's me again. Just wondering if you want to renew. Come on, baby. I said I was sorry. Oh, it doesn't matter? It clearly doesn't tear you apart anymore.

C.Ronaldo
02-09-2016, 04:31 PM
There is no doubt big money is flowing into the Chinese league now (and national teams too I'd assume) but up to now the whole enterprise has been a shambles in terms of credibility and infrastructure - the list goes on. The governmental sports bigwigs are much more involved now, on directive from the Chinese president, who is pushing this drive. It remains to be seen if it will be stable enough to retain these imported players.

Lets see what happens when the first mis-speak against the govt occurs by one of the players

ensco
02-09-2016, 05:10 PM
Is it April 1? Seriously.

Serie A has at least 15 world class stars (ie the better Italian MNT players, plus great Brazilians, Argentines, Uruguayans, Bosnians, Montenegrins and Colombians). MLS has zero (OK maybe one, Giovinco)

Great vets: there are 10-20 "names" in MLS, mostly older. Serie A has as many great vets (Toni, Cassano, Borriello, Klose, Buffon, Palacio come to mind in 30 seconds, without a web search)

Then there are about 150 guys in Serie A that are starters and they are all better than anyone outside of the top 20 or 30 players in MLS. I like Jonathan Osorio, to pick a name, as much as the next guy, but he's not a starter in Serie A. Not even close.

Then Italy have about 25 starlets (MLS has none).

Then, finally, at the end of the bench, you have battle tested professional veterans (even the 21 year olds have 10 years serious competitive experience), and they are all much, much better than the legions of NCAA scrubs filling out MLS rosters.

Then they have 10 more real players per team in training (not with the B squad or the academy, just ready to step in).

This has to be a joke.

OgtheDim
02-09-2016, 05:20 PM
Its click bait - picture of Cole and picture of Pirlo and get soccer internet people in the US to click.

About as newsworthy as those "30 people who died early - the 27th will schock you" ads all over websites these days. ( I clicked on that once and felt soooo unclean.)

Detroit_TFC
02-09-2016, 06:27 PM
Lets see what happens when the first mis-speak against the govt occurs by one of the players

I haven't heard about any foreign soccer or basketball players getting in political jams in China. Team administrators though... Probably the bigger danger to players is that top party bigwigs lose interest in the soccer push or Pres. Xi Jinping loses his job and his projects get frowned upon.

Ajax TFC
02-09-2016, 06:46 PM
Is it April 1? Seriously.
That's what I thought when I saw that the Leafs traded Phaneuf without retaining salary

Serie A has at least 15 world class stars (ie the better Italian MNT players, plus great Brazilians, Argentines, Uruguayans, Bosnians, Montenegrins and Colombians). MLS has zero (OK maybe one, Giovinco)
I would define a world class star as someone who's a game changer at the highest level. So either for club in the CL, or for country in a major tournament. And as good as Giovinco is, and as much as we all love him, I wouldn't count even him as a world class star.

Great vets: there are 10-20 "names" in MLS, mostly older. Serie A has as many great vets (Toni, Cassano, Borriello, Klose, Buffon, Palacio come to mind in 30 seconds, without a web search)
It's funny how they point to De Jong, Giovinco, Bradley, Kaka, Pirlo, and Cole as being players who jumped ship and preferred MLS over Serie A. As if De Jong or Cole would be in LA right now if their teams in Italy had been willing to keep them around at full wage. Or Bradley and Giovinco, who were fringe players in Italy, getting paid ungodly amounts of money to come here.

eustacchio
02-09-2016, 09:20 PM
Its click bait - picture of Cole and picture of Pirlo and get soccer internet people in the US to click.

About as newsworthy as those "30 people who died early - the 27th will schock you" ads all over websites these days. ( I clicked on that once and felt soooo unclean.)

That's why I like the Twitter account @SavedYouAClick - makes me giggle

molenshtain
02-09-2016, 09:44 PM
Have you guys watched bottom tier Serie A teams recently? it's not the far off from watching an MLS team. The defending is atrocious and they don't have the high end attacking talent that the better teams in MLS have.

Blindside16
02-10-2016, 05:06 AM
If the Chinese league follows the examples of the last few decades of command built enterprises, be prepared for big stadiums with few people in them.
I'm surprised that they have people at the stadiums now with what wages are like over there. You have to wonder what ticket prices are v.s. the amount of money spent on contracts. The two don't up to me.

SenorDingDong
02-10-2016, 08:36 AM
Have you guys watched bottom tier Serie A teams recently? it's not the far off from watching an MLS team. The defending is atrocious and they don't have the high end attacking talent that the better teams in MLS have.

Completely disagree on the defending front. Read Giovincos interview on the difference between SerieA and MLS as well.

The defending tactics in Italy are way above MLS on all sides. There is a reason why teams like Hellas Verona can hold off Roma or Juventus to only scoring 1 goal a game.

Also - when MLS has entry level salaries of 500k Euros or higher then maybe it will pass SerieA. A lot of players in MLS still only make like 50-90k a year.

Fort York Redcoat
02-10-2016, 09:08 AM
Completely disagree on the defending front. Read Giovincos interview on the difference between SerieA and MLS as well.

The defending tactics in Italy are way above MLS on all sides. There is a reason why teams like Hellas Verona can hold off Roma or Juventus to only scoring 1 goal a game.

Also - when MLS has entry level salaries of 500k Euros or higher then maybe it will pass SerieA. A lot of players in MLS still only make like 50-90k a year.

I don't know what entry level Serie A players make but add several thousand on top of that if we were to see MLS compete for Serie A players.

It's not just about talent pool or playing prestige. There's the element of sports landscape. It's a bigger challenge here for eyeballs to notice those dollar figures. It's also why this comparison is so weak. Apples and exhaust manifolds.

SenorDingDong
02-10-2016, 10:31 AM
In 10 years I think MLS may hit the top 5 leagues. The low salary cap and prestige kills them now though.

But right now it's not close. AC Milan's 16 year old goalkeeper makes more then half the players in MLS.

koolvid12
02-10-2016, 10:48 AM
Yes they would have the high end attacking prowess if they were playing against MLS sides. Please hold into context bottom tier serie a teams arew facing much much more better teams than LA/Portland/Seattle ect.. will ever face. Neither of those attacking teams I jut mention have anywhere close to serie a class defending. Let's see them attack mexican teams well consistently before even comparing them to seria a teams. It's easy to look good in your own poor defending league.

Fort York Redcoat
02-10-2016, 11:08 AM
In 10 years I think MLS may hit the top 5 leagues. The low salary cap and prestige kills them now though.

But right now it's not close. AC Milan's 16 year old goalkeeper makes more then half the players in MLS.

Salary cap can be raised but I think you're being incredibly optimistic to think it would be raised to equal the top 4 NA sports to rival the bigger leagues around the world NOT hamstrung by that league structure.

trane
02-10-2016, 11:59 AM
Hahahahahahha, I am gald I saw this thread late, or I would have had a heart attack. Serie A has issues, but to be honest they starting to pass. The real thing holding it back that the two big teams from Italy's economic powerhouse Milan, both of which are still in the top 20 clubs in the world revenue wise, are not turning it around fast enough. But they are still full of talent, and quite a few young rising start players.

molenshtain
02-10-2016, 12:22 PM
This Milan team would struggle to stay in the premiership. past the top 4-5 teams it's a pretty terrible league.

ensco
02-10-2016, 12:33 PM
This Milan team would struggle to stay in the premiership. past the top 4-5 teams it's a pretty terrible league.

Serious question. Is this irony or are you serious?

Do you actually think Aston Villa or Sunderland might be better than Milan?

molenshtain
02-10-2016, 12:37 PM
Serious question. Is this irony or are you serious?

Do you actually think Aston Villa or Sunderland might be better than Milan?

Well fair enough. But those are two of the worst teams to feature in the top flight in a decade. Milan are only marginally better than either though. They'd be right in that 16-18/19 range in the table.

TFC1154ever
02-10-2016, 12:39 PM
^ LOL. What stuff are you on?

TFC Tifoso
02-10-2016, 01:26 PM
Well fair enough. But those are two of the worst teams to feature in the top flight in a decade. Milan are only marginally better than either though. They'd be right in that 16-18/19 range in the table.

lol....cool story bro.....

just for some perspective, Milan's GA is comparable to the 4th least allowed in the BPL.....GF around 8-9......how that translates to points I don't know but with those comparisons, to suggest that they'd be 16-19 shows a severe overestimation of the BPL.....

Fort York Redcoat
02-10-2016, 02:01 PM
Wow this thread turned into a Serie A vs Premiership thread. Who would've called that in 10 years of following this league.

Try and keep it on the rails guys.

ensco
02-10-2016, 02:07 PM
The 16th place team in the EPL is Swansea. I've had a quick look at their roster, I feel quite confident in saying that, if 1000 fans were offered their choice of Swansea or Milan's roster, 999 would pick Milan.

burlington Red
02-10-2016, 02:41 PM
The 16th place team in the EPL is Swansea. I've had a quick look at their roster, I feel quite confident in saying that, if 1000 fans were offered their choice of Swansea or Milan's roster, 999 would pick Milan.

You'd probably get the same answer with the first placed team, doesn't mean anything really. Leicester assembled for 21 million quid. Star players are Vardy- signed for 1 million quid, Mahrez- signed for 400,000 quid.
There's a tendency when comparing teams or leagues to use history, prestige and financial power as tools and normally that is right, but our friends at Leicester are tearing up that rule book.
I think comparison of leagues is futile, all have their own pros and cons. Just enjoy them for what they are.

nfitz
02-10-2016, 04:05 PM
The 16th place team in the EPL is Swansea. I've had a quick look at their roster, I feel quite confident in saying that, if 1000 fans were offered their choice of Swansea or Milan's roster, 999 would pick Milan.You clearly haven't spent much time in south Wales ...

02-11-2016, 02:21 PM
The cap will need to rise significantly to be able to compete with the big leagues in Europe.

The MLS might be able to compete for some big names every year with some big clubs, but the depth of MLS rosters just isn't there.

Ultra & Proud
02-11-2016, 03:59 PM
The better question in this thread is how MLS would fare against Serie B. Now that might be a more interesting match up. MLS should be starting to kick on the doors of the better second division Euro leagues. Not England or Germany yet but maybe France and Italy.

Still, until our our salary cap is nicely above $10M without counting DP money, we aren't a major world player.

molenshtain
02-11-2016, 06:24 PM
MLS is pretty significantly above ligue 2 or serie b.

Initial B
02-11-2016, 10:46 PM
I'd argue that Journeyman MLS players are underpaid for their actual skillset.

Blindside16
02-12-2016, 06:11 AM
The better question in this thread is how MLS would fare against Serie B. Now that might be a more interesting match up. MLS should be starting to kick on the doors of the better second division Euro leagues. Not England or Germany yet but maybe France and Italy.

Still, until our our salary cap is nicely above $10M without counting DP money, we aren't a major world player.

I agree. I would be very interested to see how we would fare against Serie B. I appreciate Garber wanting to expand the league at a steady rate but he has got to realize that in order to truly compete on the world stage the cap has to increase.

@Initial B - Almost all Journeyman MLS players are very underpaid for what they offer to the game.

TFC_Allez
02-12-2016, 09:25 AM
I'll always have a soft spot for Serie A because I grew up on it. The saddest thing about the decline of Italian soccer is the dilapidation of most of the stadia, among the corruption and waning support. Talent wise over the past several years, the league lags behind most of Europe in developing/keeping/stealing top skilled players, Italians especially.

MLS is clearly on the rise, but do I think a top MLS team could go toe to toe with even a mid-table Serie A club in a competitive match? Nope. That's not a knock on MLS nor is it euro-snobby...it's just the truth. Obviously removing or SIGNIFICANTLY raising the salary cap would change MLS' ability to develop/keep/steal talent. But realistically, I doubt that'll happen for a long time.

The European talent pool has had nearly a century to develop. It's part of their culture. Calcio is in their blood. I personally think it's counter productive to put a 20 year old league against the top flight league of a country that's always been among the greats for almost 100 years. Just my opinion. I think it's a bit premature to compare the 2. If trends continue though, that'll change. MLS is doing big things.

As someone mentioned earlier, the better question is MLS vs Serie B. Pit a top Serie B club, a notorious flip-flop club against a Seattle or LA and let them have at it...that would be interesting to watch. Lower divisions may not be as star studded, but they're hungry.

Initial B
02-12-2016, 11:40 AM
@Initial B - Almost all Journeyman MLS players are very underpaid for what they offer to the game.
This brings my next question: What are people basing their opinions on about whether or not Serie A is better than MLS or not? It seems that many are basing on the salary figures rather than actual talent based on statistics. Does anyone have possession/TSR/chances created in the attacking third data that we can use to make an objective comparison rather than subjective? Eyes can be fooled but there is truth in data.

trane
02-15-2016, 05:09 PM
How about looking at what a gifted Italian player can do to this league but not in Italy? I wish that we had an example of that. Perhaps an attacking player that was good enough to be part of one of Italy's big teams, perhaps one of the best teams in Europe, but who could never be given first team minutes, and who then comes over here to play. I wonder how he would do. I would say that if MLS was as good as Serie A then that player would have similar results, decent but not extraordinary.

Too bad that we do not have a real live example of this.

molenshtain
02-15-2016, 05:22 PM
How about looking at what a gifted Italian player can do to this league but not in Italy? I wish that we had an example of that. Perhaps an attacking player that was good enough to be part of one of Italy's big teams, perhaps one of the best teams in Europe, but who could never be given first team minutes, and who then comes over here to play. I wonder how he would do. I would say that if MLS was as good as Serie A then that player would have similar results, decent but not extraordinary.

Too bad that we do not have a real live example of this.

jesus christ no one is saying our top teams are better than their top teams. It's just a very top heavy league and most of the teams in MLS wouldn't look out of place in the lower tier of Serie A.

trane
02-15-2016, 08:28 PM
^ I was making a joke, BUT, the thing that Serie A is better then most other leagues is their organization, tactical proficiency and football IQ is much higher then any MLS side.

molenshtain
02-15-2016, 08:58 PM
It's not hard to be organized if you play the game as slow as they do. It's like watching a group of geriatrics run a molasses factory.

ensco
02-15-2016, 09:25 PM
I can't agree, I think the MLS teams couldn't compete in Serie A, but I also must say I wouldn't be too interested in watching Frosinone play Verona.

molenshtain
02-15-2016, 10:54 PM
Really? how many playoff teams from last year would struggle in serie A, and why? Where in say LA's lineup, or Dallas' or even ours come up short against the lower tier serie A lineups?

james
02-15-2016, 11:17 PM
We really struggle to even compete against Mexican Clubs and sometimes even clubs in places like Honduras or Costa Rica in Concacaf Champions League. How many tittles have Mexican clubs won and how many MLS Clubs?? ya exactly. Lets focus on becoming dominant Clubs of North America first before we start trying to claim we can compete with leagues like Seria A!

james
02-15-2016, 11:30 PM
jesus christ no one is saying our top teams are better than their top teams. It's just a very top heavy league and most of the teams in MLS wouldn't look out of place in the lower tier of Serie A.

to be honest most countries pro Leagues in Europe are top heavy. Only a few countries can have competitive through out the League or have a 2nd division with clubs that can still attract rather big attendances and still compete at a high standard. Germany and England have the strongest top 4 divisions in the world. Most clubs in other leagues in 2nd divisions play in front of 3,000 fans in what would be a decaying old small stadium. That said in some cases I still wouldn't say MLS teams would beat some of these clubs, I still think MLS doesn't have strong enough balance through out its teams to compete at a high level. We have seen some MLS clubs struggle in Concacaf Champions League vs some clubs from small countries with small support, small decaying stadiums without much money still destroy some MLS clubs.

TheGoodson
02-16-2016, 08:11 AM
Really? how many playoff teams from last year would struggle in serie A, and why? Where in say LA's lineup, or Dallas' or even ours come up short against the lower tier serie A lineups?

Talent overall on the lower Serie A is more balanced then any of the squads you mentioned. Yes we in the MLS have more "stars", but those teams would get their ass handed to them as the soccer IQ and tactics are soo far superior to what we see in this league. As people mentioned before maybe we should shoot to compete with Mexican teams before the comparison with any of the top 5 leagues in Europe

molenshtain
02-16-2016, 08:54 AM
Talent overall on the lower Serie A is more balanced then any of the squads you mentioned. Yes we in the MLS have more "stars", but those teams would get their ass handed to them as the soccer IQ and tactics are soo far superior to what we see in this league. As people mentioned before maybe we should shoot to compete with Mexican teams before the comparison with any of the top 5 leagues in Europe

Any of the half-decent Mexican teams would kick the shit out of the bottom half Italian teams. The italian league is also played in such a vacuum that any team playing any type of modern tactic at a high speed already has a leg-up.

You have to understand that people like Juraj Kucka are starting routinely for Milan now. Like, that's FUCKED. That league is so, so bad. Guys like Fabian Castillo would look like world-beaters week in week out against a lot of those teams due to how many favorable match-ups he'd get.

ensco
02-16-2016, 09:52 AM
Sampdoria is 16th in Serie A - let's have a look at their top players:

Roberto Soriano is an Italian MNT comer. 23 years old. Going somewhere like Inter for 10M euros or more.
http://www.espnfc.us/internazionale/story/2789791/inter-milan-targets-eder-and-roberto-soriano-coy-on-future
Nobody like him in MLS.

Luis Muriel. 24 years old. Colombian striker. Frequently rumoured to be moving to a big team (Liverpool often mentioned). Also easily worth 10M or more in transfer value.
Nobody like him in MLS.

Fernando, Brazilian midfielder. 23 years old. Came on an 8M euro transfer.
Nobody like him in MLS.

Ricardo Alvarez. 27 year old AM, Argentine MNT player owned by Inter (on loan via Sunderland). Subject of a dispute re whether Sunderland actually own him and owe Inter 10M euros for him.
Nobody like him in MLS ex Giovinco.

Joaquin Correa. 21 year old AM, Argentine MNT player transferred to Sampdoria for 6.5M 18 months ago.
Nobody like him in MLS.

Andrea Ranocchia, 28 year old defender owned by Inter, loaned to Sampdoria. Liverpool apparently offered 9M euros for him in January.
Nobody like him in MLS.

I do not see how anyone can seriously argue that any MLS team can compete with a Sampdoria.

molenshtain
02-16-2016, 10:19 AM
and a 36 year old Massimo Maccerone is the best player and leading scorer for Empoli, who are ninth. was Maccerone ever as good as Di Viao? How would he do in this league right now?

You're also vastly overstating the quality of a couple of those guys. Lautaro Acosta, Castillo, Mauro Diaz, Lucas Melano are all equally as good and young as Correa, even if they're less hyped. There's probably a bunch of other guys I'm missing too.

Alvarez is terrible. Weren't you the one saying how bad Sunderland was? he's so bad they had to get him off the squad as soon as they got a look at him up close. The majority of Dp's and probably and probably a bunch of other guys in this league are equally as talented.

Muriel isn't even better than a fit Altidore. Any player who comes over from South America and shows off any sign of athleticism gets hyped to shit in Italy. There's a reason he went from Udinese to Samp and not somewhere more meaningful.

ensco
02-16-2016, 11:17 AM
Sorry, arguing they are all overhyped (they probably are) doesn't change the fact that Italy has a hundred guys similar to the ones I named, and MLS has zero.

I'm done.

TFC1154ever
02-16-2016, 11:25 AM
We have one. His name is Giovinco :)

ensco
02-16-2016, 11:34 AM
We have one. His name is Giovinco :)

Right!

TheGoodson
02-16-2016, 11:56 AM
Any of the half-decent Mexican teams would kick the shit out of the bottom half Italian teams. The italian league is also played in such a vacuum that any team playing any type of modern tactic at a high speed already has a leg-up.

You have to understand that people like Juraj Kucka are starting routinely for Milan now. Like, that's FUCKED. That league is so, so bad. Guys like Fabian Castillo would look like world-beaters week in week out against a lot of those teams due to how many favorable match-ups he'd get.

I'm sorry, but with all due respect you have no idea what you are talking about. I didn't know that soccer was more of a track meet and then an actual game of skill and tactics. Serie A is the most tactical league in the world, the closest is the Bundesliga. It's funny that people think Serie A is boring cause it is a low scoring, but if you can play in Serie A you can play anywhere and not the other way around.

FYI Mexican teams and players are almost as overrated as USMNT players. Your North American bias is quite obvious. Go watch Serie A games and then watch a Mexican game and then MLS games of the equivalent teams and if you can still come back and say that those other teams are 'better' at winning matches then come back and have a chat as I'm not sure you are watching

Hugh Jazz
02-16-2016, 12:03 PM
I think this would be evident if we were ever able to see an actual competitive match between an MLS side and a Serie A one. There is also a big difference in the level of coaching between the two leagues, I doubt there is a Sarri or Di Francesco popping up in MLS anytime soon.

Fort York Redcoat
02-16-2016, 12:21 PM
Just before this thread gets any more disrespectful I'll genuinely ask instead of doing the minute or so research:

Any difference between squad numbers and schedule between the leagues?

I remember in the countless comparisons in the old days reading there was an inconsistency there.

burlington Red
02-16-2016, 12:48 PM
I'm sorry, but with all due respect you have no idea what you are talking about. I didn't know that soccer was more of a track meet and then an actual game of skill and tactics. Serie A is the most tactical league in the world, the closest is the Bundesliga. It's funny that people think Serie A is boring cause it is a low scoring, but if you can play in Serie A you can play anywhere and not the other way around.

FYI Mexican teams and players are almost as overrated as USMNT players. Your North American bias is quite obvious. Go watch Serie A games and then watch a Mexican game and then MLS games of the equivalent teams and if you can still come back and say that those other teams are 'better' at winning matches then come back and have a chat as I'm not sure you are watching

it's funny you say that, out of the top 5 leagues in Europe for 2014-2015 season, it was the highest for goals scored:

https://abs.twimg.com/emoji/v2/72x72/1f1ee-1f1f9.pngSerie A- 1024 (2.72)
https://abs.twimg.com/emoji/v2/72x72/1f1ea-1f1f8.pngLa Liga- 1009 (2.66)
https://abs.twimg.com/emoji/v2/72x72/1f1ec-1f1e7.pngEPL- 975 (2.57)
https://abs.twimg.com/emoji/v2/72x72/1f1eb-1f1f7.pngLigue1- 947 (2.49)
https://abs.twimg.com/emoji/v2/72x72/1f1e9-1f1ea.pngBundesliga- 814 (2.66)

TFC Tifoso
02-16-2016, 01:28 PM

it's funny you say that, out of the top 5 leagues in Europe for 2014-2015 season, it was the highest for goals scored:

was just going to make a similar comment as burlington Red......people who still think Serie A is "low scoring" and "boring" either haven't watched Serie A since the 70's or are just being willfully ignorant.....bit of a sidetrack to the conversation, but definitely worth noting....

Serie A has a few things going against it today (mainly regarding infastructure and stadiums) but scoring is not one of them.....

TheGoodson
02-16-2016, 01:45 PM

was just going to make a similar comment as burlington Red......people who still think Serie A is "low scoring" and "boring" either haven't watched Serie A since the 70's or are just being willfully ignorant.....bit of a sidetrack to the conversation, but definitely worth noting....

Serie A has a few things going against it today (mainly regarding infastructure and stadiums) but scoring is not one of them.....

Agreed, that is a very old stereotype...

molenshtain
02-16-2016, 02:49 PM

Sorry, can you point to some recent examples of serie A players leaving to go succeed elsewhere? Serie A has an absolutely awful track record of exporting talent to other leagues over the last century, so that's patently not true. Michael Cox had a good article about that not so long ago. This is the league that made Balotelli look like the best young player in the world. Think about that.

It's high scoring, sure, but that has a lot to do with the defending being horrible. The league lags seriously behind in coaching and tactics in comparison to the rest of the world. Which Italian managers come across to you as tactical geniuses? Mancini? Capello? Trap? Spalletti? Allegri? Conte? Ancellotti? not a single one would say tactics is their strong suit. They (italians) refuse to play with width and at pace, and they get crushed for it whenever they come up against it. That, and none of them have any money so they can't buy or produce talent at a consistent rate anymore. Honestly have you watched a Bundesliga game or a Premier league game recently? It kind of is a track meet. In a match these days players run at least twice what they did a decade ago. If there's any misconception about the league it's that it's "tactical". That implies an ability to stay up to date with modern trends. In terms of tactics, the Italians haven't progressed past 1995.

I watch all three leagues at least semi-routinely. The quality of the average italian player has monumentally decreased over the last century, and with reduced spending power they can't bring in top talent from south America or the smaller european countries anymore. The league is a shell of it's former self. Stop acting like it's still the nineties.

TFC Tifoso
02-17-2016, 08:49 AM
Sorry, can you point to some recent examples of serie A players leaving to go succeed elsewhere? Serie A has an absolutely awful track record of exporting talent to other leagues over the last century, so that's patently not true. Michael Cox had a good article about that not so long ago. This is the league that made Balotelli look like the best young player in the world. Think about that.

That's a poor point, because most Italian players CHOOSE not to leave Serie A.....but any top Italian player in the last 10-15 years could've had a spot on any team in the world.....Totti, Del Piero, Pirlo, etc.....hell, Buffon CHOSE, again, in the prime of his career to play in 2nd division....Italain players lack of record abroad has only to do with their own commitment to their domestic league.....the Balotelli example is a poor one because imo he's always been overhyped, and has looked equally as poor now in his return to Italy as he has on his other teams.....and besides, if you want to you can flip the script....how many English players (for example) have succeeded in Spain?....Germany?....Italy?.......exactly.....

It's high scoring, sure, but that has a lot to do with the defending being horrible. The league lags seriously behind in coaching and tactics in comparison to the rest of the world. Which Italian managers come across to you as tactical geniuses? Mancini? Capello? Trap? Spalletti? Allegri? Conte? Ancellotti? not a single one would say tactics is their strong suit. They (italians) refuse to play with width and at pace, and they get crushed for it whenever they come up against it. That, and none of them have any money so they can't buy or produce talent at a consistent rate anymore. Honestly have you watched a Bundesliga game or a Premier league game recently? It kind of is a track meet. In a match these days players run at least twice what they did a decade ago. If there's any misconception about the league it's that it's "tactical". That implies an ability to stay up to date with modern trends. In terms of tactics, the Italians haven't progressed past 1995.

hmmm lets see.....we could try Allegri, who outcoached Real in the CL semis last year......Ancellotti, who won the CL with Real just a couple of years ago......or hey lets try the guy who's team is currently leading the "best league in the world" up against teams with millionaire owners, unlimited budgets....oh yeah, Claudio Ranieri......could've sworn he's Italian.....

Is Serie A the best league in the world still?.....no, but you'd be very hard pressed to find a Serie A supporter who thinks that anyways......and besides, its a silly argument nowadays, especially in leagues that are ruled by foreign players and owners.....but Italian teams/coaches still hold their own......its simply wrong to think otherwise.....

Fort York Redcoat
02-17-2016, 08:56 AM
Choosing to play for one's domestic league to grow it is a nice thing to say but

without players moving to other leagues it makes it more difficult to measure.

This is fact.

The reason for players not wanting to test themselves elsewhere isn't relevant to comparison. But it IS a nice sentiment.

TheGoodson
02-17-2016, 08:57 AM

I watch all three leagues at least semi-routinely. The quality of the average italian player has monumentally decreased over the last century, and with reduced spending power they can't bring in top talent from south America or the smaller european countries anymore. The league is a shell of it's former self. Stop acting like it's still the nineties.

I would take Ancellotti and Allegri over 99% of the managers in the world. How do Italians get crushed in Europe when last year they had the Champions League Finalist on a budget of over half of all of the other semi finalists? In the UEL they had a deep run. Another year like that and England will lose their fourth spot to Italy due to coefficients. So yeah, there are no tatcital geniuses in Italian football, Allegri who is a deeply underrated tactical genius (for what he did with Milan and now Juve), Ancellotti is a terrible tactical coach I guess. Cappello as club coach was a master tacitaly. Then there is Lippi who has won every title possible as a manager. So for your Mourhinio, Pep and Klopp I offer the names before. If you add Siminoe I would add Conte which are very similar coaches that are not great tacitically but are spectacular motivators

I watch a lot of soccer and for entertainment value yes, the EPL is fantastic they run around like chickens with head cut off. But watching games where there is no rhyme or reason in what they are doing is great TV, but the art of defending is lost in most leagues and I disagree that in Italy the defending is poor. Again this track meet mentality is great for TV, but I highly doubt you will ever see a player in Italy score at the rate they do in other leagues on a consistent basis. Higuian he is an outlier at the moment. I agree on the money issues, but developing talent, I would take the Italian U21 next to only spain and Germany.

The names are not as famous as in Italy they take their time in developing them. They spend years honing their craft before they make the first team. Balotelli, made his name for destroying Germany in the semi final of Euro. But, Verratti 23 years, Insigne 24, Berradi 22, Rugani 21 etc... I could go on how much more talent there is in Italy then save Germany and Spain. Maybe they don't translate going from Italy abroad, but the same issue goes the other way when players come to Italy they can't adapt. giovinco made a comment on the differences in the leagues and advised that in Italy there is more focus on tactics then here. Giovinco is the perfect example playing regularly for a mid to lower team (Parma) 66 games 22 goals over two seaons, but in the MLS he scored 22 in one year. So yeah I guess the MLS can compete with Serie A.

The thought that Italian players quality has decreased is quite funny as the Italian national team has routinely made it deep in the U17, 20, 21 and mens team. Save the debacle of 2010 world cup. But at the end of the day let's agree to disagree as I could argue this all day.

TFC Tifoso
02-17-2016, 09:08 AM
Choosing to play for one's domestic league to grow it is a nice thing to say but

without players moving to other leagues it makes it more difficult to measure.

This is fact.

The reason for players not wanting to test themselves elsewhere isn't relevant to comparison. But it IS a nice sentiment.

I don't necessarily agree because it is not a question of quality....the players I mentioned undoubtedly have/had the quality to play anywhere......a top Ivorian player (for example) NEEDS to go abroad to get noticed.....a top Italian (or Spanish or German for example) does not since their domestic league gets enough exposure......in fact, if you look at the national teams who have had success in the last 10-15 years, the top players almost all played in the domestic league.....its absolutely relevant to the debate.....

Fort York Redcoat
02-17-2016, 10:23 AM
I don't necessarily agree because it is not a question of quality....the players I mentioned undoubtedly have/had the quality to play anywhere......a top Ivorian player (for example) NEEDS to go abroad to get noticed.....a top Italian (or Spanish or German for example) does not since their domestic league gets enough exposure......in fact, if you look at the national teams who have had success in the last 10-15 years, the top players almost all played in the domestic league.....its absolutely relevant to the debate.....

What debate? I was using direct comparisons. Using International competitions to compare domestic leagues is an indirect comparison.

I know you're defending the league you love. And its a great league but the extra effort needed to do that proves my point about comparison.

The only debate is the how ridiculous comparing MLS and Serie A is: middling or very ridiculous??g:D

Fort York Redcoat
02-17-2016, 10:27 AM
Stop acting like it's still the nineties.

This is the most I can agree with. Looking at the descriptions of the "pro" Serie A side of this thread there are posters (Not all: Hi ensco!:seeya:) that are describing the league I watched on tln on Sundays 20 years ago.

notthesun
02-17-2016, 10:34 AM
Man there is some garbage in here. Italian players don't leave Serie A because it's well-known the national team looks almost exclusively to Italy to pick players, always has. Didn't realize the tactics are stuck in 1995 either. A true miracle that Juventus made the last Champions League final then, I suppose.

Fort York Redcoat
02-17-2016, 10:43 AM
Man there is some garbage in here. Italian players don't leave Serie A because it's well-known the national team looks almost exclusively to Italy to pick players, always has. Didn't realize the tactics are stuck in 1995 either. A true miracle that Juventus made the last Champions League final then, I suppose.

And even the player selection may be slowly changing to looking outside the domestic league...

TFC Tifoso
02-17-2016, 11:10 AM
What debate? I was using direct comparisons. Using International competitions to compare domestic leagues is an indirect comparison.

I know you're defending the league you love. And its a great league but the extra effort needed to do that proves my point about comparison.

The only debate is the how ridiculous comparing MLS and Serie A is: middling or very ridiculous??g:D

Ok I get that with the first point. It is an indirect comparison, but a national teams success can be tied in to the strength of the domestic league imo....

I don't necessarily need to "defend" Serie A.....anybody who respects the game as a whole (and not just 1 or 2 leagues) understands what the "pro" Serie A people are trying to say here....but I guess the ones who don't understand never will so not much more point trying....

....and its very ridiculous g:D lol.....

This is the most I can agree with. Looking at the descriptions of the "pro" Serie A side of this thread there are posters (Not all: Hi ensco!:seeya:) that are describing the league I watched on tln on Sundays 20 years ago.

how so?....what kind of league is being described by them?

burlington Red
02-17-2016, 11:23 AM

you might like this wee article, it's a bit dated but gives a run down on Italian players who have played in the PL, some of the views are a bit simplistic and I wouldn't nessecarily agree with them but a few names I'd forgot who actually tried the pl, you might be surprised on some names

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3019369/Ahead-Italy-vs-England-s-Italian-player-feature-Premier-League-Ambrosetti-Zola.html

vortexdr
02-17-2016, 11:46 AM

Not sure if serious....I assume you haven't ever football outside of the MLS. I get you love north America and talent less North American scrubs but being a little objective wouldn't hurt....

Fort York Redcoat
02-17-2016, 11:56 AM
Not sure if serious....I assume you haven't watched ever watched football outside of the MLS.

I assume you didn't read the rest of his posts.

I watch all three leagues at least semi-routinely.

Hugh Jazz
02-17-2016, 12:30 PM
If you're from the country and making decent money, why would you want to leave Italy?

TFC Tifoso
02-17-2016, 12:35 PM
I assume you didn't read the rest of his posts.

I have a hard time believing that someone who has such obvious disdain for a league would watch it, even on a "semi-routinely" basis......but that's just my opinion.....I sure as hell wouldn't waste 2 hours at a time on something I don't care for......

OgtheDim
02-17-2016, 12:40 PM
Isn't there another board for generic MLS discussions?

Fort York Redcoat
02-17-2016, 12:43 PM
I have a hard time believing that someone who has such obvious disdain for a league would watch it, even on a "semi-routinely" basis......but that's just my opinion.....I sure as hell wouldn't waste 2 hours at a time on something I don't care for......

I find it more interesting that of the "all three" leagues mentioned, one WASN'T MLS. I'm sure that's to be assumed but it isn't mentioned and yet it's the thread title.

Point being, there is endless talk and comparisons to other foreign leagues. The point of the OP was to make the more difficult comparison. Which was done by some very well.

Fort York Redcoat
02-17-2016, 12:48 PM
Isn't there another board for generic MLS discussions?

http://wondersofdisney2.yolasite.com/resources/aladdin/genie/genielamp.png

TFC Tifoso
02-17-2016, 12:53 PM
I find it more interesting that of the "all three" leagues mentioned, one WASN'T MLS. I'm sure that's to be assumed but it isn't mentioned and yet it's the thread title.

Point being, there is endless talk and comparisons to other foreign leagues. The point of the OP was to make the more difficult comparison. Which was done by some very well.

yeah fair enough.....the original debate of MLS v Serie A is not even a discussion yet imo.....and same can be said of MLS v any of the big 4/5 Euro leagues......I'm talking about matching best v best teams, mid v mid teams and bottom v bottom teams of any said leagues, not MLS best v. Serie A/BPL/Liga/Bundes/Ligue 1 bottom feeders.....

Fort York Redcoat
02-17-2016, 01:19 PM
This article was due this year. If we surveyed around the league (OUR league) and asked fans if we thought this year past was only the first and would our league continue "poaching" from Serie A?

Pretty sure most would chuckle. Serie A has been shown to be in an interesting place this past year with different factors that helped MLS snatch some great talent.

It really opened a door but that door ain't wide open nor will it swing entirely shut. MLS is an option for players of any talent level but the league cannot be measured comparatively with any accuracy to the top leagues in the world.

TFC Tifoso
02-17-2016, 01:53 PM
This article was due this year. If we surveyed around the league (OUR league) and asked fans if we thought this year past was only the first and would our league continue "poaching" from Serie A?

Pretty sure most would chuckle. Serie A has been shown to be in an interesting place this past year with different factors that helped MLS snatch some great talent.

It really opened a door but that door ain't wide open nor will it swing entirely shut. MLS is an option for players of any talent level but the league cannot be measured comparatively with any accuracy to the top leagues in the world.

sure I get that.....but unless I'm drawing a blank only Giovinco is in this category......I don't include Pirlo there, because he is more in the "old man" category with Gerrard and Lampard (kinda like Di Vaio and Nesta were, though Di Vaio did quite well).....and even with Seba, I guess it is a matter of perspective really....I mean, certainly no one is talking of MLS poaching La Liga talent, or pointing to it as evidence of a "dying" league with the dos Santos signing....or Villa signing.....and imo Gio and Seba are pretty much the same class of player.....Villa even a class above both....I mean, as much as I LOVE seeing him in our colours and to have an Italian be so successful in MLS, the fact of the matter is that Giovinco was a 4th choice striker with Juve, nothing more.....I guess me and others here though the article was a needless attempt to perhaps trash Serie A......I find that much like MLS, the people who trash Serie A never even watch it (or haven't in years)......

I will say this much though, and agree with you to say that it certainly is something to see these names young and old come to our league in higher volume every year......definitely a treat for us......keep it coming!

Fort York Redcoat
02-17-2016, 02:39 PM
sure I get that.....but unless I'm drawing a blank only Giovinco is in this category......I don't include Pirlo there, because he is more in the "old man" category with Gerrard and Lampard (kinda like Di Vaio and Nesta were, though Di Vaio did quite well).....and even with Seba, I guess it is a matter of perspective really....I mean, certainly no one is talking of MLS poaching La Liga talent, or pointing to it as evidence of a "dying" league with the dos Santos signing....or Villa signing.....and imo Gio and Seba are pretty much the same class of player.....Villa even a class above both....I mean, as much as I LOVE seeing him in our colours and to have an Italian be so successful in MLS, the fact of the matter is that Giovinco was a 4th choice striker with Juve, nothing more.....I guess me and others here though the article was a needless attempt to perhaps trash Serie A......I find that much like MLS, the people who trash Serie A never even watch it (or haven't in years)......

I will say this much though, and agree with you to say that it certainly is something to see these names young and old come to our league in higher volume every year......definitely a treat for us......keep it coming!

Well it depends on what you look for. There were very few people trashing Serie A in here and the article is completely tame in pointing out how Serie A is struggling in some very select areas

My point is that people look for what feeds an argument sometimes. You can minimize Serie A's contribution to MLS this past year if it makes you feel better. Some people outside of that POV will latch on to a banner year of aquisitions for MLS. A Serie A "bumber crop" if you will.

TFC Tifoso
02-17-2016, 03:07 PM
Well it depends on what you look for. There were very few people trashing Serie A in here and the article is completely tame in pointing out how Serie A is struggling in some very select areas

My point is that people look for what feeds an argument sometimes. You can minimize Serie A's contribution to MLS this past year if it makes you feel better. Some people outside of that POV will latch on to a banner year of aquisitions for MLS. A Serie A "bumber crop" if you will.

ok, but to anyone who actually watches the league, their problems are pretty much plain to see and you won't have many of Serie A's supporters trying to deny them.....that is, poor/old stadiums (which are slowly, FINALLY being fixed/built new), and less bankroll to compete with other teams....there's absolutely no arguing that.....and again to those who regularly watch the league, teams still bring up quality players....

I'm not minimizing their contribution to MLS at all.....like I said in my last post, I'm actually very happy to see that Serie A is a place where MLS teams may be looking to more and more for talent.....I just find that their contribution is not much more than any other league....certainly not worth pointing out anyways....

and like I said previously, unless its just not my day to be able to think, who other than Giovinco can be mentioned that makes up this Serie A "bumper crop".....I'm not trying to be thick, just genuinely asking as his name is the only one I can think of.....can Bradley be included there? I don't necessarily think so....his and Seba's roads to MLS are quite different....so who else is there then?....Allan Stefanovic maybe?? g:D

Fort York Redcoat
02-17-2016, 03:36 PM
ok, but to anyone who actually watches the league, their problems are pretty much plain to see and you won't have many of Serie A's supporters trying to deny them.....that is, poor/old stadiums (which are slowly, FINALLY being fixed/built new), and less bankroll to compete with other teams....there's absolutely no arguing that.....and again to those who regularly watch the league, teams still bring up quality players....

I'm not minimizing their contribution to MLS at all.....like I said in my last post, I'm actually very happy to see that Serie A is a place where MLS teams may be looking to more and more for talent.....I just find that their contribution is not much more than any other league....certainly not worth pointing out anyways....

and like I said previously, unless its just not my day to be able to think, who other than Giovinco can be mentioned that makes up this Serie A "bumper crop".....I'm not trying to be thick, just genuinely asking as his name is the only one I can think of.....can Bradley be included there? I don't necessarily think so....his and Seba's roads to MLS are quite different....so who else is there then?....Allan Stefanovic maybe?? g:D

Dude. You can discount whoever you want. Just count the players that've come from Serie A last year or two and what they've meant to the league. THAT's why the article.

trane
02-17-2016, 04:38 PM
For those that have strong anti-Italian sentiments, I will not name you, Serie A will proof its worth on the field. Let the result be what they may be.

By the way Kucka would be the best mid in the MLS, and most Serie A players who came here, did so because they were DONE, and yet here they are doing great ( Bradley and Giovinco being the exception).

trane
02-17-2016, 04:42 PM
Really? how many playoff teams from last year would struggle in Serie A, and why? Where in say LA's lineup, or Dallas' or even ours come up short against the lower tier serie A lineups?

Any one of them would struggle in Serie A. You are grossly underestimating the average Serie A team. Balotelli, by the way, has the skills to be a top player in any league, people who got him in are not stupid, the problem is that he is a headcase, and gives little effort, it is the same in Serie A as in any other league. He would have the same problem anywhere her plays.

SoccMan2
02-17-2016, 08:56 PM
I'm not going to even comment on this MLS versus Serie A debate what's the point that article was ridiculous in so many ways. However, saying that the top teams in Mexico would kick the shit out of the bottom half of Serie A shows me that the poster has no clue of what is that he writes that's all case closed . Give me an MLS team filled with bottom half Serie A team players and I will show you MLS's first CONCACAF Champions League champion.

Fort York Redcoat
02-18-2016, 10:20 AM
For those that have strong anti-Italian sentiments, I will not name you, Serie A will proof its worth on the field. Let the result be what they may be.

By the way Kucka would be the best mid in the MLS, and most Serie A players who came here, did so because they were DONE, and yet here they are doing great ( Bradley and Giovinco being the exception).

As always, trane, you have a wealth of knowledge and experience of Serie A but can I PLEASE make the distinction between

Anti-Italian

and

Anti-Italian football /Calcio.

The distinction gets blurred WAYYYYYY too fast on footy forums.

trane
02-18-2016, 04:56 PM
^ and as always my spelling is atrocious.

Yes anti Serie A/Calcio.

Fort York Redcoat
02-19-2016, 10:04 AM
^ and as always my spelling is atrocious.

Yes anti Serie A/Calcio.

Yeah, but that's our trane. :)

Mr. Inbetween
01-01-2024, 11:34 PM
Seems Tax Relief did help SerieA…

https://football-italia.net/serie-a-rise-in-europe-shows-power-of-growth-decree-law/