PDA

View Full Version : Johnson vs Bradley: Canada @ USA, 5 Feb 2016, 1015pm

Yohan
02-01-2016, 12:09 AM
Camp Poutine vs Camp Cupcake

OgtheDim
02-01-2016, 07:25 AM
Can we get those guys from Belize to do the commentary?

Fort York Redcoat
02-01-2016, 09:02 AM
Riiiiiight. Of course it's that late. Don't care. I'll be at Scally's unless the V's choose a new spot. I'll update if so.

Pint
02-01-2016, 09:13 AM
Yep torotno V's will be at scallys according to V's board.

Looks like hamilton V's will be at Augsta House

If any burlington/oakville people want to get together i can try and find us a bar that will play the game with sound... if not ill likely head to hamilton

Yohan
02-05-2016, 07:06 PM
http://www.thevoyageurs.org/uploads/monthly_2016_02/large.CaZLpJZWYAAl7Wo.jpg.f9ab36a3c6482f5520fd56e0 59352f61.jpg

OgtheDim
02-05-2016, 07:47 PM
Note this game actually starts at 1045 pm

Justin10000
02-05-2016, 08:37 PM
It's way too late for me. :(

Onyx
02-05-2016, 09:10 PM
Note this game actually starts at 1045 pm

TV coverage starts at 1030 and its not on regular TSN ... you have to have all 5 (its on 1,3 or 5)

Defoe
02-05-2016, 10:15 PM
Missing some of our top players for this one but still have Johnson, Larin and Akindele. Vitoria to make his first start tonight and I'm interested to see how De Jong will play. The 5 mentioned are probably 5 locks that should suit up along side Hutchinson, Hoilett and Arfield. Only a few positions to really be thought of for that big game next month.

Defoe
02-05-2016, 10:21 PM
-----------Larin
Hoilett ----------Akindele
Arfield - Hutchinson-Johnson
De Jong - Vitoria - ??? - ?????

Edgar?? Henry?? Ledgerwood?

bigredone
02-05-2016, 10:31 PM
-----------Larin
Hoilett ----------Akindele
Arfield - Hutchinson-Johnson
De Jong - Vitoria - ??? - ?????

Edgar?? Henry?? Ledgerwood?

Please play Henry. He could really use this opportunity to work off the rust.

OgtheDim
02-05-2016, 11:00 PM
Can you tsn guys actually talk about the freaking game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OgtheDim
02-05-2016, 11:02 PM
Jermaine Jones looks like totally crud.

OgtheDim
02-05-2016, 11:07 PM
And.....Canada gets CONCACAF'd again.

Ajax TFC
02-05-2016, 11:19 PM
I don't really get what straith is supposed to be doing out there. Move jdg to dm and put someone in midfield who can get forward.

I understand what De vos is saying about having them play the same roles as if hutch were playing, but the fact is hutch isn't playing and Straith isn't anything like him

OgtheDim
02-05-2016, 11:25 PM
Straith reminds me of the guy's in midfield I used to play with as a kid who just watched the ball go past them.

On a more TFC note, Altidore is doing well in the USMNT camp because he has a defined role, a role that Vanney has talked about him doing with us - running the channels as a bruiser. Bradley suffers when with the USMNT because their coach can't stop tinkering with his tactical shape. Somebody said the US hasn't had the same defensive 4 twice in a row since Brazil.

OgtheDim
02-05-2016, 11:41 PM
https://twitter.com/MLSAnalyst/status/695828668233330688

I'll take this. :canada::scarf:

Ajax TFC
02-05-2016, 11:46 PM
Straith has been bad, but he shouldn't even be playing that role. Every time he gets the ball, he instantly dishes it off to the first player he can without turning. I don't think I've seen him turn with the ball yet. That forces Johnson and jdg to drop back, which leaves no one forward in the middle. Someone like Osorio could really help push things forward

notthesun
02-06-2016, 12:09 AM
Only good thing about this game is how good Altidore has looked.

jazzy
02-06-2016, 12:14 AM
And how Henry has matured.....happy for him he's going to be a strength in the future .

DinamoTFC
02-06-2016, 12:16 AM
Kyle bekker chasing the game. Can't win a tackle defensively if his life depended on it. Hope to see Osorio in the team in the future again

aajking
02-06-2016, 12:20 AM
Kyle bekker chasing the game. Can't win a tackle defensively if his life depended on it. Hope to see Osorio in the team in the future again

Floro drives me nuts with this. How is Bekker in the CMNT while Oso is often snubbed? Bekker is either dumb or lackadaisical, either way he sucks.

OgtheDim
02-06-2016, 12:21 AM
Aaaa...there's the Doneil Henry we all remember.

And....Jozy takes the free kick (probably cause he's never going to take one all season).

aajking
02-06-2016, 12:28 AM
Aaaa...there's the Doneil Henry we all remember.

And....Jozy takes the free kick (probably cause he's never going to take one all season).

Aside from that he's looked very good considering all the time off with injury. His dribbling in tight spaces looks better.

barticusz
02-06-2016, 12:29 AM
Doneil hasn't learned much since leaving.

Is adekugbe really better than Morgan? Bekker a #10 .. what a disgrace.

Crepeau looks great.

I don't think Osorio is all that great but I don't see how he doesn't make this roster.

aajking
02-06-2016, 12:30 AM
If only De Guzmans bro stayed with the CMNT.

barticusz
02-06-2016, 12:33 AM
God I wish tfc had Finlay. Just love his play.

aajking
02-06-2016, 12:33 AM
Cringing every time Bekker touches.

aajking
02-06-2016, 12:34 AM
Atta boy Jozy.

OgtheDim
02-06-2016, 12:34 AM
Aaaaaaannnnnd that's why Henry is not a RB.

OgtheDim
02-06-2016, 12:38 AM
If Johnson and Altidore play like that all season, we are going to be very very hard to beat. Bradley, well, not his fault that Jermaine Jones is the Honey Badger of the USMNT.

barticusz
02-06-2016, 12:38 AM
Jozy is looking fantastic. He connected very well with many of his teammates. Pumped for him this year and hope he gets a healthy run of form.

Auzzy
02-06-2016, 12:41 AM
And.....Canada gets CONCACAF'd again.

What happened? I missed it.

Aaaaaaannnnnd that's why Henry is not a RB.

I couldn't believe it. Ethan Finlay was just subbed on, got a ton of assists in MLS last season, and you leave him THAT much room?

notthesun
02-06-2016, 12:48 AM
"Welcome back Doneil! Hope you like being hung out to dry at RB!"

So insanely tired of Floro's shit. We might sneak into the hex playing like this, but we'll get massacred during it if we keep up this style of play, guaranteed.

Hamilton_Red
02-06-2016, 01:15 AM
Wow that was difficult to watch. How Osario doesn't get a game for that team...I'll never know.

Bradley looked mediocre to me - as he has for the last year. Gives the ball away far too often for a DP/world class level player. DeGuzman and Johnson both looked at least as good as he did.

Altidore seems to have upped his game & that's looking promising for next season. The young keeper look promising for Montreal as did Akindebe. Becker and Issey getting games at this level is bewildering.

Ajax TFC
02-06-2016, 01:33 AM
It's hard find where to start with what was wrong with our play, so I'll just list some things I noticed in no particular order of importance.
In 1v1s, their players kicked our players asses. It becomes easy to play possession, attacking soccer when your wide players can do whatever they want and have wide open central players to play the ball into and can make the pass accurately; and the central players always have open outlets out wide to pass to. On the flip side, our team was completely disjointed. When we got the ball, they couldn't make space for themselves, and non-precise passes on the counter made it impossible to quickly exploit space. Our wide players also couldn't take on their markers the way theirs could, which meant less space for our central players than they had. But part of the problem that our wingers had was lack of forward support from midfield. It was basically a negative feedback loop, where each player being slightly off cue and not being on the same page made the team as a whole look atrocious.

mcolvy
02-06-2016, 02:41 AM
Im surprised at the negativity here..I was at the game tonight in LA and I found that Canada did a great job controlling a strong US team.

I loved De Guzman's play. He's playing at a high level and I'd love to have him back at TFC. Him and Johnson have a good understanding of one another.

OgtheDim
02-06-2016, 07:20 AM
What happened? I missed it.

I couldn't believe it. Ethan Finlay was just subbed on, got a ton of assists in MLS last season, and you leave him THAT much room?

Jermaine Jones kicks Larin from behind in the box, no foul, no penalty. As for Henry, he isn't a RB. He has no grounding in what is necessary to play that position. TFC defences until last season didn't close down wingers.

bimmer
02-06-2016, 07:31 AM
Jermaine Jones kicks Larin from behind in the box, no foul, no penalty.

Tbf, there should have been a handball called on Larin on that same sequence so the US would have been hard done by a FK/PK.

PopePouri
02-06-2016, 07:51 AM
Im surprised at the negativity here..I was at the game tonight in LA and I found that Canada did a great job controlling a strong US team.

I loved De Guzman's play. He's playing at a high level and I'd love to have him back at TFC. Him and Johnson have a good understanding of one another.

We were lucky they didn't score on us earlier. Altidore had 3 or so clear cut chances just himself so no, we didn't control the play.

Tired of Floro. He's so structured, he leaves little for flexibility to create so we then become predictable in possession. No creativity, no width. He tries to play out the back but he won't split his defenders and drop his defensive mid like every other possession based team. He then resorts to plan B which is hoofing to Larin who's on an damn island for most of the game. I stick with the prediction that we won't make the hex.

TFC Tifoso
02-06-2016, 09:46 AM
such a shame that it seems as though Floro has blackballed Osorio after he showed the manager up in the Gold Cup......Floro should know better that it was pretty much a young player showing his immaturity at the time.....pretty silly that he can't get a spot now.....Bekker is horrible.....he devalues the word professional......simply garbage.....

Joe Kool
02-06-2016, 09:52 AM
I didn't watch the game but it sounds like nothing has changed based on what I am reading here. Too bad.

jazzy
02-06-2016, 10:19 AM
"Welcome back Doneil! Hope you like being hung out to dry at RB!"

So insanely tired of Floro's shit. We might sneak into the hex playing like this, but we'll get massacred during it if we keep up this style of play, guaranteed.

totally right. Floro insists on playing him out of position , after basically being out for a year and he's enthusiast . Another I'll force you to bend to my requirements regardless of your comfort zone . Looks like one has to kiss his ass or your not worthy .(Osorio), He's a beast CB that needs Edgar as a boss .

jazzy
02-06-2016, 10:22 AM
Tbf, there should have been a handball called on Larin on that same sequence so the US would have been hard done by a FK/PK.

you're right but thats a definite foul , maybe not in the box . you can't hit him from behind , no matter how sneaky , Bekerman gets away with this ALWAYS !

ag futbol
02-06-2016, 10:56 AM
We were lucky they didn't score on us earlier. Altidore had 3 or so clear cut chances just himself so no, we didn't control the play.

Tired of Floro. He's so structured, he leaves little for flexibility to create so we then become predictable in possession. No creativity, no width. He tries to play out the back but he won't split his defenders and drop his defensive mid like every other possession based team. He then resorts to plan B which is hoofing to Larin who's on an damn island for most of the game. I stick with the prediction that we won't make the hex.
Notwithstanding Floro's strategy often dictates his lineup decisions (such as excluding some more attack minded players) it would seem obvious to me outside of Lariin this team simply has nobody opponents should respect from an attacking perspective. The most creative and attacking Canadian team you can field still isn't much of a challenge for opposing defences to handle.

Crapeau has always been one to watch in the keeper spot. Injuries have held back his progress a bit but otherwise he has a lot of skill and understanding of the game its rare to see from any Canadian player.

OgtheDim
02-06-2016, 11:27 AM
I think what we see out of Johnson is what we are going to get - work man like, can't score, doesn't make mistakes, moves the ball, hard as nails.

Can't see anybody kicking Seba this season without feeling it on their ankles a few minutes later.

PopePouri
02-06-2016, 11:54 AM
Notwithstanding Floro's strategy often dictates his lineup decisions (such as excluding some more attack minded players) it would seem obvious to me outside of Lariin this team simply has nobody opponents should respect from an attacking perspective. The most creative and attacking Canadian team you can field still isn't much of a challenge for opposing defences to handle.

It might not but we'd be able to break down teams like El Salvador and at least create more chances. It's not just creativity that I'm pissed about, it's width as well. Because of Floro's rigid system in possession, our fullbacks don't get forward, we don't create overloads and become easy to defend from wide positions, and we have one of the best young forwards in CONCACAF who thrives from width. Most of Larin's goals in Orlando come from some sort of overload from the wing.

If we don't play a counterattacking system, don't create through the middle or use width in a possession-based system, how can we create chances?

Fort York Redcoat
02-06-2016, 02:10 PM

That's awesome! Wish I could've been there to see TFC DP's vs our Red n White! In a friendly, anyway. If it was competitive I prolly would have chewed my fingers off watching.

Good on ya!

Are you visiting. there for business or living there, now?

ensco
02-06-2016, 02:14 PM
I only saw the highlight package, but it seemed like we had no real possession.

We don't look nearly as good as the 2014 team (which prior to the Honduras wipeout, was a pretty decent, competitive side).

Fort York Redcoat
02-06-2016, 03:41 PM
I only saw the highlight package, but it seemed like we had no real possession.

We don't look nearly as good as the 2014 team (which prior to the Honduras wipeout, was a pretty decent, competitive side).

47% in the first.

Don't know the second or total amount.

Soccerpro
02-06-2016, 04:49 PM
We're an impotent team without Atiba and Hoilett. I'm pretty excited to see Scott Arfield too.

I think De Jong is too slow at LB, he got beat by Zardes too many times.

This game just shows we have no depth, not a surprise.

Felt sorry for Cyle Larin isolated up top, but thought he did good first half.

Ajax TFC
02-06-2016, 05:50 PM
I think what we see out of Johnson is what we are going to get - work man like, can't score, doesn't make mistakes, moves the ball, hard as nails.

Can't see anybody kicking Seba this season without feeling it on their ankles a few minutes later.
Saying "can't score" is too harsh. He had 15 goals total in 2013 and 2014. Pretty good for a pivot player. He's obviously not going to score like a #10 should, but he's definitely capable of putting the ball in the net

Onyx
02-06-2016, 07:06 PM
I didn't watch the game but it sounds like nothing has changed based on what I am reading here. Too bad.

They are replaying this game opposite HNIC right now TSN1,3 or 5.
find it funny that they will not show qualifiers, but replay a friendly with our B team.

another thing, looks like from the field markings "greened-out" that the galaxy play a pitch 5 yds narrower than the USMNT.

Initial B
02-06-2016, 07:06 PM
The way I see it, Floro will do whatever it takes to make the Hex. With the skill set of the players available, I'm assuming that's a defensive mindset. He probably had to do a lot of rebuilding of confidence after Honduras 2012. The 4-1-4-1 fomation is pretty much set in stone for the past two years, so assume that all the player pool has been thought enough national training camps that theyre familiar with the roles each position requires. I don't put much stock in Floro putting Henry in as a RB. This is probably his last chance to experiment with putting players in different positions and provide Henry some olaying tome after a long injury. In that case, mission accomplished.

OgtheDim
02-06-2016, 07:57 PM
He's only ever played Henry as a RB.

Defoe
02-06-2016, 09:33 PM
Arfield to start for us in the mexico game. Arfield has been great for burnley this year. Top 3 in goals, assists, shots and appearances. A lot more appearances then Hoillet

mcolvy
02-07-2016, 03:00 AM
That's awesome! Wish I could've been there to see TFC DP's vs our Red n White! In a friendly, anyway. If it was competitive I prolly would have chewed my fingers off watching.

Good on ya!

Are you visiting. there for business or living there, now?

I was just out there on vacation and the timing couldn't have been better...unfortunately I wasn't able to see any TFC though, BUT funny enough I did fly home on a plane this afternoon with Tim Bez. He was sitting comfy in Biz class...he's gotten a little chubby since I last saw him...had to do a second take in the airport.

I was super torn all game....but overall was a fantastic match. And like I mentioned earlier, seeing it live, the Americans were getting frustrated and most fans were impressed/complimenting Canada's play.

C.Ronaldo
02-08-2016, 10:02 AM

besides that poor take down when he receievd the pass the sweet overhead , i thought he was pretty good.
I thought Canada was decent and could have been 1-0 1-1 if the penalty was caleld on Jones

We obviously need some creativity out there, osario would be a huge HUGE plus

spark
02-08-2016, 11:17 AM

??? He scored 17 goals over his first two seasons at Portland.

OgtheDim
02-08-2016, 12:31 PM
??? He scored 17 goals over his first two seasons at Portland.

His scoring touch seems to have gone away with his broken leg - I hope to be proven wrong and that this is just rust.

koolvid12
02-08-2016, 01:27 PM
When I watched the game I thought de Jong was getting abused, I went to go see the highlights just now on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnWTb20VFk4. My god did Zardes murder de Jong at the start of the video at 0:33. US should of scored but altidore missed a few chances. The most notable being this one and the open header he had right in front of goal. At least he (altidore) look faster and thinner.

Edit: and after that play at 0:58 de jong gets caught ball watching and losing zardes in the penalty box ...