PDA

View Full Version : Warning -- Stay away from thread if you hate pointless conjecture.....

jloome
07-25-2008, 11:03 PM
....but I like discussing people's various ideas for a DP, assumign they'd be reasonably realistic additions with a DP salary (i.e. no Cristiano Ronaldos).

I still think the following players are good bets:

Kleber Boas -Brazilian -- Is 32 and his deal at Santos ran out a month ago. Had a huge season in Brazil so maybe they'll offer him a new deal.

Liedson - Brazilian - Is 30 and a local legend at Sporting in Lisbon but maybe a big deal would tempt him. Huge record, something like 1 goal every 2 games at Sporting over the last five or so years.

Washington - Brazilian - Has scored more than 20 goals this season for Fluminese despite people thinking his height was the only reason he ripped the Japanese J-League apart for years; has done so despite missing several games with injury. He's 33 and his contract runs out at the end of 2008.

Martin Cardetti -- Argentine - Although he's a risk, because in south america at River Plate he scores like its free, and in Europe he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. He's had an up and down time of late and is at Colon right now. Might also be worth waiting him out til he leaves there and getting for less than a dp deal.

Flavio Amado - Angola - Plays in Egypt. Has been rumoured to be a target for Hull and Bristol Rovers. Scores goals in bunches, is an excellent finisher and set up man, and is good in the air, too. And he's only in his late 20's.

Wesley Sonck - Belgian former hitman for Ajax and Genk has come back from kidney disease and is now playing for Club Brugge in his home country. He's 30.

Carlos Costly from Honduras was also on this list, too, but we know how that went, unfortunately.

jloome
07-26-2008, 01:11 AM
Bumped, in the vain hope Paul or some other MLSE team will float these names onto Mo's desktop somehow. Yeah, I know, when hell freezes over. But I figure either Amado or Sonck would score 15-20 a year, easy.

Anybody else do any scouting recently?

jloome
07-26-2008, 01:49 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iC6RgsTEso

And here's a link to the 40 -- yes, that's FORTY -- goals Kleber Boas scored for Santos last year. Again, as far as I know he was available on a free transfer beginning last month.

VPjr
07-26-2008, 01:57 AM
Washington would be a very interesting DP.

I sincerely doubt Liedson will leave Sporting.

I know very little of the others you suggest

ensco
07-26-2008, 08:01 AM
I remember Washington's highlights from the J league, he was a one man youtube machine there

LucaGol
07-26-2008, 08:17 AM
If you put 4 million on the table for Hakan Sukur...you could surely put about 6 million on the table and probably attract 2 players keen on MLS who are currently out of work.

Andriy Shevchenko

Ronaldo

Both wanna go back to Milan...probably only one will.

Go with one of them...and offer them the moon to play here for at least the rest of the season. See how they like it...if they don't see ya later...if they do...sign em up for 2 more years.

jloome
07-26-2008, 11:12 AM
If you put 4 million on the table for Hakan Sukur...you could surely put about 6 million on the table and probably attract 2 players keen on MLS who are currently out of work.

Andriy Shevchenko

Ronaldo

Both wanna go back to Milan...probably only one will.

Go with one of them...and offer them the moon to play here for at least the rest of the season. See how they like it...if they don't see ya later...if they do...sign em up for 2 more years.

My understanding was Ronaldo was retired? Are you talking about Ronaldinho, because he's already gone. And Schevchenko, at last report, had fallen apart because they're asking him to take a bigger wage cut than he will accept, although I suppose the latter is something still to be worked out.

As for Kleber Boas, he's a proven commodity but too old for Euro clubs to be coming after him. It totally makes sense especially if he's free. Anyway, found an email for mo yesterday, so hopefully it didn't go instantly into his spam.

GabrielHurl
07-26-2008, 11:45 AM
Kleber Boas -Brazilian -- Is 32 and his deal at Santos ran out a month ago. Had a huge season in Brazil so maybe they'll offer him a new deal

from his wiki - yes I know it's wiki

Often confusing fans and pundits alike, Boas is known to score spectacular goals with a high level of difficulty, and constantly botch relatively easier goalscoring opportunities.

jloome
07-26-2008, 02:50 PM
Yeah, that was the knock on him when he played in Mexico. But he seems to have turned it around as he's matured. He absolutely destroyed the Brazilian First Division last year with 40 goals! Check the youtube link above because it has ALL of them.

I'll take a guy who misses the odd sitter if he can score 40 in a league that's tougher than MLS.