PDA

View Full Version : Colorado's Clint Irwin traded to Toronto FC

Cashcleaner
01-18-2016, 12:12 PM
Toronto FC announced Monday that the club has acquired goalkeeper Clint Irwin from the Colorado Rapids in exchange for targeted allocation money (TAM), the club’s highest 2016 third round MLS SuperDraft pick and a conditional 2017 first round MLS SuperDraft pick. As per club and league policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.
“Improving our defence has been a stated priority for our club this offseason. Bringing in Clint helps to solidify our defensive group, and with Clint on board we are confident in our collection of goalkeepers across the first team and TFC2,” said Toronto FC General Manager Tim Bezbatchenko. “We are very excited about what Clint will add to our group and look forward to his quick transition into our team, which is aided by his familiarity with Drew in Colorado.”

Article continues here: http://www.torontofc.ca/post/2016/01/18/toronto-fc-acquires-clint-irwin-colorado

http://www.torontofc.ca/s3/files/styles/image_landscape/s3/images/irwin.png?itok=qGVM42GG&c=a9c18e3cb7ab156d4257a3e9da5a11f9

zeelaw
01-18-2016, 12:18 PM
He use to play in the old CSL too. So he's a little familiar with Ontario and Canada I'm sure.

Cashcleaner
01-18-2016, 12:28 PM
^ That's right. He played a season in Ottawa with Capital City FC.

Brooker
01-18-2016, 12:33 PM
And scored!

Goooooooooooarn!

ronzilla
01-18-2016, 12:47 PM
Is this good news or bad ? :D

molenshtain
01-18-2016, 12:49 PM
good.

Initial B
01-18-2016, 12:57 PM
Are you kidding? It's dubious at best/worst. Giving up TAM, a 2016 third round pick, and a conditional first rounder in 2017? It's that last one that gets me. They're expecting to win or finish near the top of the table in 2017. If they don't, well, I guess Bez won't be around to take the flak, so what does he care. Irwin has been injured a fair bit, so I assume that when he inevitably goes down that one of Roberts or Bono will step in. The rapport with Moor is a plus, so hopefully with Irwin-Moor and Morrow-Beitashour being familiar with each other the backline will gel faster. It appears to me that Bez is building for chemistry rather than talent. It will be a good experiment to watch this year. By the end of training camp we'll know if it worked or not.
Gives a lot more credence to the rumors of the Rapids moving on Howard...

Strikers
01-18-2016, 12:59 PM
I like the move, and actual MLS keeper that has been a starter instead of the usual back up TFC trades for.

molenshtain
01-18-2016, 01:01 PM
Are you kidding? It's dubious at best/worst. Giving up TAM, a 2016 third round pick, and a conditional first rounder in 2017? It's that last one that gets me. They're expecting to win or finish near the top of the table in 2017. If they don't, well, I guess Bez won't be around to take the flak, so what does he care. Irwin has been injured a fair bit, so I assume that when he inevitably goes down that one of Roberts or Bono will step in. The rapport with Moor is a plus, so hopefully with Irwin-Moor and Morrow-Beitashour being familiar with each other the backline will gel faster. It appears to me that Bez is building for chemistry rather than talent. It will be a good experiment to watch this year. By the end of training camp we'll know if it worked or not.

Building for chemistry rather than talent? You realize that our back five now consists of 4 former all-stars and a Polish international, right? The built in relationships are a bonus.

Red CB Toronto
01-18-2016, 01:02 PM
^ That's right. He played a season in Ottawa with Capital City FC.

Was named the 2011 Bytown Boys Player of the Year.

Ivy
01-18-2016, 01:14 PM
TFC was going to use TAM on a goalie anyway. Now they got an all star without having to do that.
when you're competing to be the best in the league, those draft picks are such terrible crap-shoots, they become irrelevant.

Im also not sure when you're getting the "injured quite a bit" part... I think his only professional injury was during the last game of 2013.

notthesun
01-18-2016, 01:20 PM
Colorado had a very good defensive record last year, tied 6th-best in terms of goals allowed (it was their pitiful attack that sank them). Plucking two guys off that defensive corps is pretty huge.

OgtheDim
01-18-2016, 01:23 PM
He made $97K last season.

And he is better then Bendik.

I thought we would got with a veteran but will take somebody with the same amount of experience as Bendik who is better.

I wouldn't look too deeply into that "former all star" thing. He was a late injury replacement and was picked more because he was available.

SoccMan2
01-18-2016, 01:23 PM
It states "in exchange for TAM", so they don't have anymore TAM to use? I'm confused.

bimmer
01-18-2016, 01:25 PM
It states "in exchange for TAM", so they don't have anymore TAM to use? I'm confused.

Most likely partial TAM. We'll likely never know exactly how much though.

rydermike
01-18-2016, 01:37 PM
TFC was going to use TAM on a goalie anyway. Now they got an all star without having to do that.

Technically they did use TAM on GK, by trading some for him lol

Yohan
01-18-2016, 01:39 PM

Irwin is probably best bang for buck salary wise GK in MLS IMO. Hard to find a starter GK at sub 100k. I'd say Irwin is an avg MLS GK with above average shot stopping ability. Had a late start in development, but he knows what it's like to be hungry and to constantly have to push himself and fight hard to win a job. He was one of few players that consistenly looked good at a poor Rapids team. I'm very much ok with this signing.

As for injury, Irwin missed couple of games in 2014 but he's been pretty healthy otherwise.
http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/clint-irwin

Initial B
01-18-2016, 01:41 PM
Im also not sure when you're getting the "injured quite a bit" part... I think his only professional injury was during the last game of 2013.I thought he was injured for part of 2015, but I must be thinking of someone else (Tyler Deric?). irwin was injured for a couple of games in 2014 but hasn't seemed to affect him in the long run.
Hmm, we now have 2/5ths of Colorado's defence from last year and 1/5th of Vancouver's. Based on the same number of goals scored as last year (58) and a composite of goals allowed for this year (48), we should end up with a +10 goal differential, which should be enough for 2nd in the Eastern Conference.

Cashcleaner
01-18-2016, 01:42 PM
It appears to me that Bez is building for chemistry rather than talent.

Which makes sense given that we already have heaps of talent overall; but are in need of more chemistry, especially on the home side of the pitch.

Red CB Toronto
01-18-2016, 01:51 PM
It would be a partial piece of their TAM, as some also went in the Will Johnson trade. There is $800,000 of it in total.

JollyBenjabi
01-18-2016, 02:03 PM
Not sure if other's have seen this yet...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey26y06nk1k

bimmer
01-18-2016, 02:06 PM

Thanks for the share. Obviously can't conclude much from a highlight video but seems to have good reflexes/decent shot stopping ability at least.

SenorDingDong
01-18-2016, 02:12 PM
Great pickup.

http://gifs.joelglovier.com/clap/dance.gif

Ivy
01-18-2016, 02:17 PM
Terrible move. He looks too much like Kocic. Bez out.

barticusz
01-18-2016, 02:31 PM
I dont' get this. We're again using the GK position as the place where we're saving on salary?? I do hope that the defensive additions actually help this time around. The only positive out of this is that we're actually looking to give Bono or Q a shot as the backup this season.

C.Ronaldo
01-18-2016, 02:31 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey26y06nk1k

Oh hes gonna love the BMO crowd

Cashcleaner
01-18-2016, 02:34 PM
Here's a lighter Clint Irwin vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Nq1AAteJIk

molenshtain
01-18-2016, 02:36 PM
I dont' get this. We're again using the GK position as the place where we're saving on salary?? I do hope that the defensive additions actually help this time around. The only positive out of this is that we're actually looking to give Bono or Q a shot as the backup this season.

It's not our fault the Rapids had him on less than 100k. If you're going to get one of the better keepers in the league, wouldn't you rather have him on a cheap contract?

bimmer
01-18-2016, 02:45 PM
Minor nitpick, but the thread title should say traded to TFC, not signs with.

notthesun
01-18-2016, 02:49 PM
It would be a partial piece of their TAM, as some also went in the Will Johnson trade. There is $800,000 of it in total.

Actually we still had the initial 500k of TAM available to us. I would bet after these two trades we still haven't touched (or barely touched) the second round of TAM investment of $1.6 million.

ensco
01-18-2016, 02:51 PM
I have been pretty anti-Bez but he is addressing needs in a way that isn't experimental. This team has never done that.

Historically we have always addressed needs by paying up for expensive Europeans - we've rarely done much that the other teams do, inside MLS, or in South America. At least we are doing the former, for once.

notthesun
01-18-2016, 02:52 PM
https://twitter.com/ClintIrwin/status/689170547679207424

Irwin's best save from last year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTlPGiow51w

molenshtain
01-18-2016, 02:54 PM
Actually we still had the initial 500k of TAM available to us. I would bet after these two trades we still haven't touched (or barely touched) the second round of TAM investment of $1.6 million.

second round of TAM was 800k over two years, not per year. before the trades we had 800k to spend by december 2017 + another 500k to spend by December 2020.

We can also assume that in December 2017 every team will get another hefty chunk of TAM to tide them over until CBA talks in 2020.

notthesun
01-18-2016, 02:55 PM
second round of TAM was 800k over two years, not per year. before the trades we had 800k to spend by december 2017 + another 500k to spend by December 2020.

We can also assume that in December 2017 every team will get another hefty chunk of TAM to tide them over until CBA talks in 2020.

No, it actually was $1.6 million. 800k for this year, 800k for next year.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2015/12/09/mls-announces-37-million-investment-targeted-allocation-money-homegrown-player-funds

OgtheDim
01-18-2016, 02:56 PM
Terrible move. He looks too much like Kocic. Bez out.

I think he looks like Rob Green.

molenshtain
01-18-2016, 02:56 PM
No, it actually was $1.6 million. 800k for this year, 800k for next year.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2015/12/09/mls-announces-37-million-investment-targeted-allocation-money-homegrown-player-funds

Wow. I totally blew by that. My bad.

That's insane though.

notthesun
01-18-2016, 02:57 PM
I have been pretty anti-Bez but he is addressing needs in a way that isn't experimental. This team has never done that.

Historically we have always addressed needs by paying up for expensive Europeans - we've rarely done much that the other teams do, inside MLS, or in South America. At least we are doing the former, for once.

I posted this in the off-season moves thread, but do you think Leiweke's influence extended beyond just the DP signings?

Manning has stepped in and immediately we've avoided Europe.

Areathrasher
01-18-2016, 02:59 PM
I posted this in the off-season moves thread, but do you think Leiweke's influence extended beyond just the DP signings?

If Manning is wielding influence on this side then i'd expect signings from Latin America too. He, Kries and Lagerway shopped there frequently at RSL.

ensco
01-18-2016, 03:08 PM

I do believe that, absolutely.

Everything Leiweke did involved (i) trying to make a marketing impact (which mostly involved mistakes, ex the spectacular success with Gio) and (ii) making himself personally a player in the global agent/star$%&-er community (he was just using us as a means to an end there)

molenshtain
01-18-2016, 03:16 PM
So what about the fact that we went after Borjan before settling for Irwin? The deals for Johnson, Beitashour and Moor all have precedents from Bez's tenure that preceded Manning. If anything, Manning focused us in a certain direction that Bez and Co dabbled in frequently before. It's really a stretch to say it was Leiweke's mandate to go out and get the Kantari's and the Cheyrou's of the world.

gdg_9
01-18-2016, 03:20 PM
So what about the fact that we went after Borjan before settling for Irwin? The deals for Johnson, Beitashour and Moor all have precedents from Bez's tenure that preceded Manning. If anything, Manning focused us in a certain direction that Bez and Co dabbled in frequently before. It's really a stretch to say it was Leiweke's mandate to go out and get the Kantari's and the Cheyrou's of the world.

Agreed. Cheyrou, Kantari & Perquis have Vanney written all over them from his France connections more so than Leiweke.

portu
01-18-2016, 03:21 PM
The European players seems to me like a Vanney thing

OgtheDim
01-18-2016, 03:22 PM
So what about the fact that we went after Borjan before settling for Irwin? ...

What proof do we have we went after Borjan?

Regardless, I think Bez and co knew exactly what they wanted - either an MLS vet or a quality overseas option with experience. They identified this option as soon as they heard Colorado wanted to go a different way with their keeper. Deal got done likely before the draft.

molenshtain
01-18-2016, 03:34 PM

Regardless, I think Bez and co knew exactly what they wanted - either an MLS vet or a quality overseas option with experience. They identified this option as soon as they heard Colorado wanted to go a different way with their keeper. Deal got done likely before the draft.

Well, Rumblings. You know how it is. Even if it wasn't specifically Borjan, the game plan was loud and clear: get an expensive goalie from Europe.

My point was that that kind of thinking (excluding dp's) didn't come in with Leiweke and it didn't stop with Manning's arrival. Bez has shown time and again an aptitude for doing things inside the league when the right player is available. You've got to think that in the cases he's gone for the Perquis'and the Cheyrou's and whoever else outside the league it was because we needed a stop gap in a position where our FO wasn't satisfied with that was available inside the league.

barticusz
01-18-2016, 03:53 PM

So I've read a lot of positive things about this guy both here and through various other media individuals... If Irwin is such a decent GK, and at such a inexpensive salary why would Colorado a team that generally doesn't spend much money want to go a different direction?

Looking at his numbers there he's vastly superior to Joe Bendik. He's capable of keeping a clean sheet and on top of that his gaa is MUCH better.. which is impressive too considering the team he played on.

Hope he works out.

zeelaw
01-18-2016, 03:53 PM
And scored!

Goooooooooooarn!
I was at that game haha.

molenshtain
01-18-2016, 04:00 PM
So I've read a lot of positive things about this guy both here and through various other media individuals... If Irwin is such a decent GK, and at such a inexpensive salary why would Colorado a team that generally doesn't spend much money want to go a different direction?

Because they either:
A) Want to go after Howard to re-energize their fanbase
or B) Like MacMath better and thought trading Irwin was worth it for what they could get for him.

Red CB Toronto
01-18-2016, 04:24 PM
Here is a place a lot of us here are familar with, from Lamport to BMO Field for Clint with a few stops in between.

https://ericbalnarsports.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/9767.jpg

bgnewf
01-18-2016, 04:33 PM
A good citizen in the dressing room and on the practice pitch by everything I have read and heard

The keeper for one of MLS's most stingy defense units last season - and the role of a keeper marshalling his defenders is grossly under-rated

The relationship he has developed with Drew Moor over previous seasons

Relatively young AND Experienced

On a better wage packet by 50k than Bendik was in his time with TFC

Have to say this on the second or third look looks an excellent acquisition.

Kudos.

Ultra & Proud
01-18-2016, 04:36 PM
Seems like they are doing an old school us move and going for some PR flash with Howard and dumping an all star to get him for beans. They seemed to be on a full press to get a USMNT member and after Bedoya failed then it was on to the next one which from the start was rumored to be Howard.

mistercorporate
01-18-2016, 04:52 PM
Great signing, the signals from their fans suggest he was their best player. I look forward to and hope for a well integrated backline when the season begins.

Yohan
01-18-2016, 05:20 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV0Ljm0ntiY

Red I
01-18-2016, 05:26 PM
Looks like some Rapids fans are rightly pissed they traded Irwin away.

http://www.burgundywave.com/2016/1/18/10786722/rapids-are-the-literal-worst-oh-my-god-are-you-goddamn-kidding-me

AdamAM
01-18-2016, 06:31 PM
Not necessarily something to do with TFC but:

http://www.psmag.com/business-economics/my-economics-of-being-a-regular-professional-athlete-63770

A piece Irwin did a while back on what it was like living on the average NASL player's budget. Fascinating read, and one that I've kept in my bookmarks for years and come back to periodically.

TFC/Everton
01-18-2016, 07:30 PM

This is not a fact.

molenshtain
01-18-2016, 07:33 PM
This is not a fact.

Which part exactly do you object to?

jloome
01-18-2016, 08:32 PM
Which part exactly do you object to?

No one ever confirmed they went after Borjan; it was just rumored by the usual collection of inaccurate bloggers, if I recall. If it didn't come from Neil Davidson or John Molinaro, it's a toss up. Kurt's usually accurate, too, but I know the boundaries the Sun is willing to push on bullshit, so I wouldn't even call that a lock.

the beat
01-18-2016, 09:49 PM
At 26, his best years are still ahead of him.

notthesun
01-18-2016, 09:50 PM
http://www.burgundywave.com/2016/1/18/10786722/rapids-are-the-literal-worst-oh-my-god-are-you-goddamn-kidding-me

This isn't about Irwin so much as it is about the Rapids... still, thought this was worth a link. Dark times over there.

Initial B
01-18-2016, 10:28 PM
Am I a bad person for thinking I'm glad it's not TFC for once? We pretty much went through 7 years of dark times. It wasn't until Payne came along that we started imagining there was light at the end of the tunnel.

Hamilton_Red
01-18-2016, 10:37 PM
This looks like a very shrewd trade. Another player who has won the cup in Toronto. I am starting to believe that this could finally be the year! Looking around for impending calamity.

ag futbol
01-18-2016, 10:40 PM
Agreed. Cheyrou, Kantari & Perquis have Vanney written all over them from his France connections more so than Leiweke.
This has been mentioned before, but the agency these guys came through has heavy connections to MLS head office. It's not necessary a Vanney connection.

OgtheDim
01-18-2016, 10:52 PM
... Kurt's usually accurate, too, but I know the boundaries the Sun is willing to push on bullshit, so I wouldn't even call that a lock.

AND as if on cue Larson begins to stir the pot tonight about this being a lateral move and that Bendik is as good as Irwin with a mild hint of Irwin not being TFC's first choice.

He obviously didn't watch Irwin enough last season. Commands the area better then Bendik, communicates with his teammates more, has better positioning, anticipates better and passes the ball with more accuracy. Bendik is a better shot stopper and penalty saver (i.e. he's better once the world has fallen apart around him).

Look, Irwin is no Rimando let alone a Cesar or a Buffon. But he's in the top 5 of MLS keepers, which is something we'ver never really had (Frei got there after he left). Lets see how he grows with a veteran defence in front of him.

ronzilla
01-18-2016, 11:21 PM
Better than Bendik doesn't sound too reassuring. Hope this works out.

TFCwestcan
01-19-2016, 12:20 AM
Really happy for this trade, I am sure I have seem Irwin saving goals in the MLS save of the week a few times, certainly a step up from Bendik & Konopka. I heard that they were looking at two goaltenders from Europe, but I am glad that we got Irwin, knows the league and has had success here, familiar with Moor, does not need to settle in. Only the management knows how much Tam was paid, but in the end Tam does to tend goal. Of the Goalies who moved this year, Kennedy & Bendik, Irwin was the best of the lot.

Rocket Robin
01-19-2016, 07:58 AM
May 28th, 2011 The TFCA vs Capital Cities game. CC win 2-1 but 15 year old Jordan Hamilton (third from right in lineup) scores on Irwin for TFCA.
Fans on far side in last picture.

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports11/11csl047.htm

ensco
01-19-2016, 08:19 AM
http://www.torontosun.com/2016/01/18/toronto-fc-gets-a-new-no-1-goalie-in-clint-irwin

Larson really can be incredibly irritating at times: "Whether Irwin is an upgrade remains to be seen. His bill of work simply isn’t significant enough to make grandiose predictions as to what his contributions will be."

He just makes stuff up. He says this, as though 3 full seasons isn't meaningful - I bet Irwin is in the top 10 in games played of active MLS GKs.

ManUtd4ever
01-19-2016, 08:46 AM
Comparing a MLS all star calibre keeper to a guy that hasn't proven to be capable of being more than a backup at this level?

Larson must be upset that he didn't break the story...

ag futbol
01-19-2016, 10:18 AM
I don't mind this considering he has an established MLS track record. Is Larson really that blind to how proven Irwin is compared to what we had last season?

Red I
01-19-2016, 10:41 AM
http://www.torontosun.com/2016/01/18/toronto-fc-gets-a-new-no-1-goalie-in-clint-irwin

Larson really can be incredibly irritating at times: "Whether Irwin is an upgrade remains to be seen. His bill of work simply isn’t significant enough to make grandiose predictions as to what his contributions will be."

He just makes stuff up. He says this, as though 3 full seasons isn't meaningful - I bet Irwin is in the top 10 in games played of active MLS GKs.

Seriously... Is it so grandiose to suggest he's an upgrade? It it so grandiose to merely echo what many MLS soccer pundits agree, that he is one of the better keepers in the league?

Oldtimer
01-19-2016, 10:52 AM
Not necessarily something to do with TFC but:

http://www.psmag.com/business-economics/my-economics-of-being-a-regular-professional-athlete-63770

A piece Irwin did a while back on what it was like living on the average NASL player's budget. Fascinating read, and one that I've kept in my bookmarks for years and come back to periodically.

I'm impressed with his strength of character, one attribute of what makes a good player.

OgtheDim
01-19-2016, 12:18 PM
I don't mind this considering he has an established MLS track record. Is Larson really that blind to how proven Irwin is compared to what we had last season?

Larson likes his narrative with a spicy kick.

Initial B
01-19-2016, 12:37 PM
Another Article on Clint:

http://sbisoccer.com/2016/01/clint-irwin-viewed-as-missing-piece-as-tfc-continues-to-build-back-line

Looks like he's looking forward to playing here. I like that Drew Moor has been in constant contact with him as he transitions. The proof of success will be the preseason matches.

spark
01-19-2016, 01:07 PM

LOL yes almost as "grandiose" as him saying Bendik was a top shot stopper in the league and lock for #1 at the start of last season.

Larson's reporting is good but his analysis and evaluation of talent is very poor.

TFC Tifoso
01-19-2016, 01:31 PM
Bendik must've been one of Larson's sources.....Larson always gets bitchy when one of his sources move on......he makes it quite obvious too.....Paul Mariner must've been too as Larson sometimes still actually finds good things to say about him, and also still goes out of his way to say that everything wrong with TFC began and ended with Aron Winter.....Winter must've shut him down a few times during his spell here.....

I'll give Larson credit for being one of the few guys reporting TFC on the regular, but his biases are starting to make him unreadable for me......

Derko
01-19-2016, 04:21 PM
Better than Bendik doesn't sound too reassuring. Hope this works out.

That's what I really like about Ronzilla, you are just a bundle of optimism,lol

notthesun
01-19-2016, 04:57 PM
Irwin seems like a better dressing room guy also, at least from the outside. Molinaro described Bendik as a "cold fish" personality-wise after he was traded, which always came across to me as well watching his interviews. I can't really imagine him being anyone's best locker room buddy.

Auzzy
01-19-2016, 05:37 PM
From the reaction of Colorado's supporters alone, this looks like a good deal for TFC..

ag futbol
01-19-2016, 06:40 PM
Irwin seems like a better dressing room guy also, at least from the outside. Molinaro described Bendik as a "cold fish" personality-wise after he was traded, which always came across to me as well watching his interviews. I can't really imagine him being anyone's best locker room buddy.
That aside, communication with the backline always seemed off with Bednik.

By all accounts Irwin looks vocal. Considering we have some previous familiarity on the backline now (two former SJ fullbacks, former Colorado GK / CB) hopefully chemistry and predictability are not far off.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-19-2016, 07:06 PM
Larson likes his narrative with a spicy kick.

this

Ossington Mental Youth
01-19-2016, 07:07 PM

super friendly the few times i met him, photo bombed me and my wife getting engaged and remembered us a year later

OgtheDim
01-19-2016, 09:37 PM
Irwin first interview thing (http://www.torontofc.ca/post/2016/01/19/clint-irwin-january-19-2016)- Torterra throws a few lob balls to Irwin.

Auzzy
01-19-2016, 10:08 PM
super friendly the few times i met him, photo bombed me and my wife getting engaged and remembered us a year later

Interesting, Bendik might have just been a bit wary / careful / stressed around journalists.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-19-2016, 10:35 PM
Interesting, Bendik might have just been a bit wary / careful / stressed around journalists.

i dont think he knew how to communicate with his backline and his distribution was poor imo

flamehawk
01-19-2016, 10:54 PM

Bendik was selected as a representative for the union. I'd be surprised for him to be selected if he wasn't well liked.

TFCwestcan
01-19-2016, 11:08 PM
From the reaction of Colorado's supporters alone, this looks like a good deal for TFC..

Yes, there's an almost TFC-like despair happening in Colorado, I feel for those fans.

http://www.burgundywave.com/2016/1/18/10786722/rapids-are-the-literal-worst-oh-my-god-are-you-goddamn-kidding-me?_ga=1.134878520.895588147.1417487143

molenshtain
01-20-2016, 12:38 AM
for what it's worth, the Club's bi-weekly propaganda video portrayed him as a very popular and important locker room guy. Always in the middle of things, especially our charity/community events. Seemed like a real stand up guy.

Auzzy
01-20-2016, 12:43 AM
i dont think he knew how to communicate with his backline and his distribution was poor imo

Well, communication during a game (and the multi-tasking it requires); communication with journos; and communication with teammates and fans in a friendly environment; are all very different things. Being a union rep might also make him a bit more careful with public pronouncements.

I totally agree about the iffy distribution. I also remember re-watching some highlights of lousy goals & lucky misses against TFC, looking for (among other things) the lack of communication from our goalies (incl. Bendik), and many of our CBs. I remember seeing that Bendik would often stay totally silent as a catastrophic play developed, although he should have had the best view of it, but then complaining to his teammates loudly after a goal was scored, or we got lucky due to a bad miss by the opponents. Or when Bendik (and some other TFC keepers) never call for the ball, and then get blocked from reaching it by their own defenders.

I was a crappy CB or sweeper on crappy teams. But I remember learning early to keep your head on a swivel, keep everything in view, talk to your other defenders incl. wingbacks & defensive mids. And if you missed something, expecting a loud yell from your keeper, hopefully before it's too late. I'm amazed how often TFC seems to be totally surprised by an opponent showing up at the back post, or someone walking in totally uncovered from midfield and getting on the end of a cross. All the while a bunch of TFC players stare at whoever has the ball before, or a couple of them drift off the side where an attacker has the ball, never looking around at the open attackers in much more dangerous spots right in front of goal. Hopefully Irwin & Moor can do a better job of organizing that.

molenshtain
01-20-2016, 12:45 AM
No one ever confirmed they went after Borjan; it was just rumored by the usual collection of inaccurate bloggers, if I recall. If it didn't come from Neil Davidson or John Molinaro, it's a toss up. Kurt's usually accurate, too, but I know the boundaries the Sun is willing to push on bullshit, so I wouldn't even call that a lock.

Well, even if we go with that, they still targeted european goalies who would have probably cost us a lot more. My overall point still stands.

ensco
01-20-2016, 12:46 AM
Nothing wrong with Joe Bendik as a person. He'll always be welcome at BMO. Anyone here would stand him a pint anytime.

But he had too many games like this one. I'd wager he would agree.
http://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2015-04-04-chicago-fire-vs-toronto-fc/details/video/35305

Auzzy
01-20-2016, 01:05 AM
Nothing wrong with Joe Bendik as a person. He'll always be welcome at BMO. Anyone here would stand him a pint anytime.

http://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2015-04-04-chicago-fire-vs-toronto-fc/details/video/35305

Oh god. The goal tending. And Toronto defenders repeatedly forward way too far despite facing speedy forwards. Among other things. Even Giovinco magic (and a bit of luck) not enough.

Ivy
01-20-2016, 01:10 AM

my god, this team was so defesively bad. And that formation too....

flamehawk
01-20-2016, 08:48 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNCHKt0NB40

Irwin analyzes one of his saves. Interesting.

Oldtimer
01-20-2016, 09:03 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNCHKt0NB40

Irwin analyzes one of his saves. Interesting.

Pretty good, shows he reads the game well, thanks for sharing.

Joe Kool
01-20-2016, 09:15 AM
So in FIFA 16 on my PS4 I decided to take the guys we got rid of off the roster and added Moor, Beitashour, Johnson and Irwin and the team rating went up 1/2 a star...woohoo. Irwin made some pretty awesome saves in the games I played and defensively TFC were solid. I know, just a video game, but was fun to see how much better the defense worked in the games with the new guys versus the ones they replaced. Hopefully the real thing happens this year as well for us. Looking forward to this year. The more I read about Irwin the more I like him.

Mateo1985
01-20-2016, 10:07 AM
So in FIFA 16 on my PS4 I decided to take the guys we got rid of off the roster and added Moor, Beitashour, Johnson and Irwin and the team rating went up 1/2 a star...woohoo. Irwin made some pretty awesome saves in the games I played and defensively TFC were solid. I know, just a video game, but was fun to see how much better the defense worked in the games with the new guys versus the ones they replaced. Hopefully the real thing happens this year as well for us. Looking forward to this year. The more I read about Irwin the more I like him.

I actually did the same thing yesterday on Xbox and at the end of the season TFC was the best defensive team in the league (knock on wood). 3.5 star rating was awesome to see. Made us top 3 in the league.

ManUtd4ever
01-20-2016, 10:24 AM
Those FIFA video game simulations are pretty accurate, so here's hoping LOL.

barticusz
01-20-2016, 10:36 AM
Count me in as another person that did the same thing.. I didn't sim a season or anything but just fiddled around with the teams lineup.. We have Depth!

Also, we have a core group that has been with this team for some time now and hasn't been shifted out.. I love that. Can't wait to see how everything plays out this year.

bgnewf
01-20-2016, 01:52 PM
Midfield depth - check
upgrade at centre back and at fullback - check
upgrade at keeper - check

Training camp in two days.

Have to say that Bez and Manning have done a decent job this off season.

Now we have to see if Greg Vanney can improve enough as a manager to make it all work or not. He's out of excuses now.

ManUtd4ever
01-20-2016, 02:38 PM
Our most glaring needs have been addressed with high calibre players that are established at this level.

Is it a well balanced squad? Not yet, as our lack of width and the absence of a natural DM is going to limit our options. However, our starting eleven is probably the strongest it's ever been to start the season.

Kaz
01-20-2016, 05:07 PM
Our most glaring needs have been addressed with high calibre players that are established at this level.

Is it a well balanced squad? Not yet, as our lack of width and the absence of a natural DM is going to limit our options. However, our starting eleven is probably the strongest it's ever been to start the season.

Well I mean last year we had a difficult time scoring, teams figured us out I mean we only tied for second in the league for goals scored. Without a wide player we are going to have like no options and it will be difficult offensively. :rolleyes:

bgnewf
01-20-2016, 05:38 PM
with an increased cap and with new concepts like TAM coming into play it should on paper at least be getting easier to develop that vaunted 'balanced' side. However the cap STILL seriously hamstrings GM's in this league. Virtually no one has a right back of any note (with a few exceptions) for example - And its fair to say that no team (Not even the big spenders like ourselves, TFC, NYCFC, Sounders, LAG for example) have the depth to withstand serious injuries.

You do what you can with what you have. And in TFC's case 'what you have' was some bad contracts (players being grossly overpaid by previous regimes relative to their abilities or return) and a number of under-performing players who had to be moved on.

Balance is the ideal, but damned hard in MLS. And sometimes its not even needed if you have enough strength in certain parts of your squad.

If you recall last season Columbus who scored roughly the same as us and who conceded just a few less than us got to the final. If our defense was mediocre last season (not terrible - just average or even below average) there was no reason why we could not have gone much deeper into the playoffs than we actually did.

ManUtd4ever
01-20-2016, 09:43 PM
Well I mean last year we had a difficult time scoring, teams figured us out I mean we only tied for second in the league for goals scored. Without a wide player we are going to have like no options and it will be difficult offensively. :rolleyes:

I never stated that our lack of width and a DM was an issue offensively, I stated that it limits our options, from a tactical perspective. I'm not worried about our offensive prowess, but we might be vulnerable defensively due to our lack of speed out wide and in front of the backline.

Hopefully, the off season acquisitions will be able to compensate.