PDA

View Full Version : Philly dirt being aired

jloome
01-05-2016, 11:05 PM
The Peter Nowak firing is turning into a hell of a suit. A bunch of court filings have been dropped:

Reddit links (https://www.reddit.com/r/MLS/comments/3zn6en/over_200_pages_of_new_documents_added_to_piotr/)

molenshtain
01-06-2016, 01:23 AM
This is my favorite MLS story line of 2016. This is the type of story that would have happened to us 5 years ago, but now it happens to other people.

Rejoice, brothers.

OgtheDim
01-06-2016, 07:31 AM
The goalkeeper strikes again - if you have a twitter feed and care about MLS, he's worth following (although the blizzard of tweets last night was difficult to process).

Brooker
01-06-2016, 08:25 AM
Oh dear. :shocked:

Areathrasher
01-06-2016, 09:05 AM
We go live to Peter Nowak...

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z198/jimmyeightysix/Simpsons/Simpsons-ThatsaPaddlin_zps0ffeb18d.jpg

Cashcleaner
01-06-2016, 01:16 PM
http://tribaltic.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/gandalf-beautiful-gif.gif

It's beautiful. The accusations. The denials.

Thanks for this, jloome.

molenshtain
01-06-2016, 07:12 PM
Going through this was all a bit 'Yeah, yeah, yeah, sounds like a prick, but not an out-of-the-ordinary one'.

Then I got to this bit

•Nowak conducted hazing of players, including spanking players to the point where Nowak needed a bucket of ice to dip his hand in

The fuck!?!?

Nowak sounds totally fucking insane.

OgtheDim
01-06-2016, 07:53 PM
Hmm.....found a decent labour law discussion of this situation. Worth a read for us HR types. http://www.phillysoccerpage.net/2016/01/06/a-look-behind-a-different-curtain-arbitration-101/

jloome
01-08-2016, 03:53 PM
http://tribaltic.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/gandalf-beautiful-gif.gif

It's beautiful. The accusations. The denials.

Thanks for this, jloome.

I think the scribes in Philly are weeping with joy. This is usually a slow-ass time of year.

jloome
01-08-2016, 03:54 PM
Going through this was all a bit 'Yeah, yeah, yeah, sounds like a prick, but not an out-of-the-ordinary one'.

Then I got to this bit

•Nowak conducted hazing of players, including spanking players to the point where Nowak needed a bucket of ice to dip his hand in

The fuck!?!?

Nowak sounds totally fucking insane.

He was Freddy Adu's first coach. Given how he regressed over that period from outgoing and personable to shy and hiding from the limelight, I have to wonder if he was dropped into a situation no kid should see (and one with which I and many of our generation are uncomfortably familiar.)

ensco
01-09-2016, 10:16 AM
I have plowed through this now.

Nick Sakiewicz, Union ownership and MLS itself allowed this terrible human being to operate like this for two and a half years. They either knew, or should have known.

There are serious consequences in life if you choose not to police workplace harassment. This feels like a big class action lawsuit against the Union and the league, and there are probably former Union players out of the game (Califf?) who don't fear retribution, and that are therefore willing to pursue it.

I suspect this story will turn to who knew what and when fairly quickly.

ag futbol
01-09-2016, 10:59 AM
Nowak "may have improperly profited from player transactions" involving "contracts for players in South America" while manager of the team.

Lol - that sounds pretty familiar.

OgtheDim
01-09-2016, 11:11 AM

Nick Sakiewicz, Union ownership and MLS itself allowed this terrible human being to operate like this for two and a half years. They either knew, or should have known.

There are serious consequences in life if you choose not to police workplace harassment. This feels like a big class action lawsuit against the Union and the league, and there are probably former Union players out of the game (Califf?) who don't fear retribution, and that are therefore willing to pursue it.

Hmmmmm...

In Ontario, if they went down the class action suit, they would have to prove knowledge of harassment. If they went down the Humans Rights Tribunal, they would force Philly to prove they didn't know of the harassment.

I have no idea what Penn law is though.

Either way, the Union would be screwed.

molenshtain
01-09-2016, 11:58 AM

I highly doubt that's the route they take. First and foremost Nowak is going to be laughed out of the courts when he asks them for compensation for his wrongful termination. the players were going to strike years back if Nowak didn't get fired, and they could have done it even then. I think Nowak's name being run through the mud will be good enough for most involved.

If they really wanted to go after Nowak and Sakiewicz they could have at any point up till now. Nowak suing the Union and having all of this come out to the public is merely coincidence. What you're suggesting is unrelated for the most part to this case. Neither of them currently work or will ever work in the league again. That's pretty much all they could rationally ask for.

jloome
01-09-2016, 01:51 PM

I don't know how much bigger it will get, but there will definitely be ramifications. They're already asking whether USunder 17 coach John Hackworth taped the hazing, as the suit suggests. Sakiewicz is already out of the league but the NLL is going to feel pretty embarrassed, making him the league president a day before this broke.

molenshtain
01-09-2016, 02:02 PM
The other thing to remember in regards to the hazing and to what extent it went is that many of the players that the Union sight in their notes were minors at the time. If it's as bad as to be believed then many involved might face serious ramifications on that front.

I still find it unbelievable how much of a fucking asshole Nowak must be to bring this to court.

Greatest Ripoff
01-09-2016, 02:11 PM
Nowak "may have improperly profited from player transactions" involving "contracts for players in South America" while manager of the team.

Lol - that sounds pretty familiar.

They should ckeck if Nowak's dog has a bank account in Monaco.

ensco
01-09-2016, 02:27 PM
If they really wanted to go after Nowak and Sakiewicz they could have at any point up till now. Nowak suing the Union and having all of this come out to the public is merely coincidence. What you're suggesting is unrelated for the most part to this case.

Not coincidence, one enables the other. You now have Union employees acknowledging the harassment in writing, and sworn testimony. That is a whole level of information and evidence that wasn't available until now.

Issue is how many players will accept being blackballed out of soccer forever by participating in any future action.

molenshtain
01-09-2016, 02:36 PM
Not coincidence, one enables the other. You now have Union employees acknowledging the harassment in writing, and sworn testimony. That is a whole level of information and evidence that wasn't available until now.

Issue is how many players will accept being blackballed out of soccer forever by participating in any future action.

Fair enough. I just don't think the players see it that way. They've never sought retribution and have always seemed content with just getting Nowak and to a lesser extent Sakiewicz out of philly and out of US football in general. most of the stuff I've seen from people in Philly suggests that the Union and everyone who had to deal with this ordeal at the time - including the MLSPU - seem pretty satisfied with where things stand atm.They're just happy to get the chance to laugh at Nowak and Hackworth and Sakiewicz in public.