PDA

View Full Version : Did they move Monday's game to CBC Bold from just plain old CBC?

TheRenter
07-25-2008, 09:22 PM
well...did they?

TFC FAN72
07-25-2008, 09:24 PM
well...did they?

Based on TFC site, NO, but I am sure I saw it advertised as a CBC game during the All Star game.

Will have to wait and see, but it appears as though the media is finally getting on board.

redcard
07-25-2008, 09:35 PM
the schedule on TFC's site says CBC bold...

dantdot
07-25-2008, 09:36 PM
CBC site says Bold

Kickit09
07-25-2008, 09:40 PM
and they wonder why ratings are so poor.

TheRenter
07-25-2008, 09:41 PM
thanks for your responses, but i know what it says now, that's the thing...i'm almost sure that it previously stated it as the national broadcast before, and now...??? whatever, no biggie, just wondering if anyone else was under this impression

peace

TheRenter
07-25-2008, 09:46 PM
and they wonder why ratings are so poor.

sure doesn't help matters

TFC FAN72
07-25-2008, 09:47 PM
thanks for your responses, but i know what it says now, that's the thing...i'm almost sure that it was on the national broadcast before and now...??? whatever, no biggie, just wondering if anyone else was under this impression

peace

Fairly certain they were advertising it as a National game on CBC, but TFC site may not have updated, or I could be wrong.:p

mdc 77
07-26-2008, 09:22 AM
Game is on BOLD
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/torontofc-schedule.html

johnmolinaro
07-26-2008, 09:31 AM
the game was originally scheduled to be on bold. it was never slated to be on the main cbc network. it will be streamed live on cbcsports.ca, too.

john

Yohan
07-26-2008, 09:37 AM
What a big bag of ghey

CBC needs to sort itself out. No Mtl game on main CBC, now a league game only on Bold?

If main CBC network isn't willing to host it, give it to Sportsnet or the Score FFS

RPB_Brantford_08
07-26-2008, 09:49 AM
the reason its on bold is because it would run over the National in that time slot, CBC think thier news program is gold when it;s actually shite!!!

flatpicker
07-26-2008, 10:18 AM
I don't even know what Bold is or how one goes about watching it....??!!
Is it on regular cable or do you have to pay for this?

Ladies Love Julius James
07-26-2008, 10:20 AM

Gotta pay for it. Just grab the stream off cbc.ca.

TFC FAN72
07-26-2008, 10:21 AM

Bold is channel 277 on the Rogers Digital box and YES it has to be subbed to.:rolleyes:

Roogsy
07-26-2008, 10:21 AM
It's a specialty channel that used to be called Country Canada. I don't watch it unless TFC is on it.

OooooTFC!
07-26-2008, 10:23 AM

I have it.

For starchoice user's its 2.99.

SteeltownBhoy
07-26-2008, 10:51 AM

Hey Flat,

It's about 2.50/ a month as an add on channel. So it's actually not a bad pick up. There are some other good programs on there also.

Cheers

Pachuco
07-26-2008, 11:04 AM
I order it the day of the game and cancel it when the game ends. Simples as that. Simply put it's a very shitty none HD channel which I have on idea why people would pay any extra money to subscribe to it unless it was to watch TFC.

Mark in Ottawa
07-26-2008, 11:43 AM
I order it the day of the game and cancel it when the game ends. Simples as that. Simply put it's a very shitty none HD channel which I have on idea why people would pay any extra money to subscribe to it unless it was to watch TFC.
And so how much does this "pay for view" exercise end up costing you?

TFC FAN72
07-26-2008, 11:49 AM
And so how much does this "pay for view" exercise end up costing you?

Depending on how many games per year are on CBC BOLD it could end up costing him more than just sticking with the channel for just TFC games.

Bloor West FC
07-26-2008, 12:02 PM

GREAT IDEA!!!!! :)

BigD
07-26-2008, 12:57 PM
CBC can pump TFC games on Bold then, in a couple of years, if support continues strong they can sell it to MLSE to become TFCTV :)

NateDoGG
07-26-2008, 01:48 PM
i dunno why cbc is airing tfc games on cbc bold, i doubt many ppl even have that channel, anyways, it will be capped from fbtz.com hopefully, so u guys can download it after, or maybe tfc will do another shit job at streaming the match, or maybe cbc will do it. but it will be shit streams.

Ladies Love Julius James
07-26-2008, 01:54 PM
CBC can pump TFC games on Bold then, in a couple of years, if support continues strong they can sell it to MLSE to become TFCTV :)

I wouldn't be suprised. for 2.99 a month you could see all 8 TFC games a season a bunch of other crap no one will ever watch.

RedRum
07-26-2008, 04:53 PM
What a bunch of BS. As Yohan posted, if CBC wants to fuck us over,
give it to another network. TFC is seriously trying my patience lately.

MEU
07-26-2008, 05:03 PM
I still appreciate that it is at least going to be shown. I don't have cable, so I'm glad CBC will have it streamed live as well.

Kickit09
07-26-2008, 05:06 PM
just another reason to hate CBC....as if there weren't already enough

Broadview
07-26-2008, 05:11 PM
I called Rogers to reset the digital terminal and they offered me a ton of free specialty channels for free for three months. It ends in a couple of weeks and I'm going to miss it. GolTV, Fox sports, Bold, Fight Network, ESPN Classic, Military Channel...all kinds of stuff. I'm going to miss it for sure, but not $130 bucks worth :)

Hooligan69
07-26-2008, 05:39 PM
So there's no chance of me watching the game on Monday night? Boooo.

CanuckPete
07-26-2008, 05:44 PM
It is being streamed on cbc.ca.

I don't understand all the complaining.

Yohan
07-26-2008, 07:15 PM
It is being streamed on cbc.ca.

I don't understand all the complaining.
Some people work at places where they can't get regular high speed internet access

Curious to see how many people actually use the stream from CBC

TFC FAN72
07-26-2008, 07:22 PM
I called Rogers to reset the digital terminal and they offered me a ton of free specialty channels for free for three months. It ends in a couple of weeks and I'm going to miss it. GolTV, Fox sports, Bold, Fight Network, ESPN Classic, Military Channel...all kinds of stuff. I'm going to miss it for sure, but not $130 bucks worth :)

I have the exact same package and it runs me a $100 a month, but I also have the HD channels as well.

For the 8 games year it is not worth paying 2.99 a month, but Rogers lets you alter your programs based on what your needs are.

I dumped some channels and picked up others that I would rather have and I still pay the same.

johnmolinaro
07-26-2008, 07:24 PM
What a bunch of BS. As Yohan posted, if CBC wants to fuck us over,
give it to another network. TFC is seriously trying my patience lately.

To be clear, even though we own the rights, we gave away a fair number of games to the Score and Sportsnet so that every game is televised.

As for Monday's game, Sportsnet is showing the Jays at same time so that's out. The Score has WWE RAW which it has to show, so that's out.

And we know TSN isn't going to pick it up.

For those without Bold, you can still watch in online at CBCSports.ca, and we pick up the broadcast feed so the stream is always top notch.

John Molinaro
Reporter, CBCSports.ca

marquis
07-26-2008, 07:42 PM
For the 8 games year it is not worth paying 2.99 a month, but Rogers lets you alter your programs based on what your needs are.

I dumped some channels and picked up others that I would rather have and I still pay the same.

This is very interesting, can you actually dump shit like Ontario Legislature and replace it with with Gol TV (or Bold)?

TFC FAN72
07-26-2008, 07:52 PM
This is very interesting, can you actually dump shit like Ontario Legislature and replace it with with Gol TV (or Bold)?

Well that was included in the VIP Ultimate that includes The Movie Network, GolTV, Fox Sports World and I dumped The Fight Network and got CBC Bold, but you would have to talk to them and depending on how long you have been with them.

I have everything with them, Wireless, Cable. Internet & Phone so maybe that is why they worked with me to ensure I was happy with them.

marquis
07-26-2008, 08:37 PM
Well that was included in the VIP Ultimate that includes The Movie Network, GolTV, Fox Sports World and I dumped The Fight Network and got CBC Bold, but you would have to talk to them and depending on how long you have been with them.

I have everything with them, Wireless, Cable. Internet & Phone so maybe that is why they worked with me to ensure I was happy with them.

I have VIP but no movies (no time to watch) and Internet - I was just on the phone with Rogers and they said I can't replace any channels from by line-up, but the chick on the phone was nice enough to give me Family Pack and Sports Pack free for 3 months, which include Bold and Gol TV. So, I'm happy for now. Funny enough, the rep took like 5 minutes to find CBC Bold and she said she never heard of it before :)

Pachuco
07-26-2008, 09:21 PM
Depending on how many games per year are on CBC BOLD it could end up costing him more than just sticking with the channel for just TFC games.

Don't know what you are talking about, Rogers doens't charge me a penny for cancelling the channel. Trust me I've been doing this for years. I was doing it during FIFA U-20 world cup to watch games on CBC Country Canada and I've never paid a penny for it.

TFC FAN72
07-26-2008, 09:29 PM
I have VIP but no movies (no time to watch) and Internet - I was just on the phone with Rogers and they said I can't replace any channels from by line-up, but the chick on the phone was nice enough to give me Family Pack and Sports Pack free for 3 months, which include Bold and Gol TV. So, I'm happy for now. Funny enough, the rep took like 5 minutes to find CBC Bold and she said she never heard of it before :)

Well good for you. I myself can't go without GolTV or Fox SportsWorld, so I pay for it without worrying about the cost.

As I have kids, The Movie Network does have it's advantages as there is always something on and for the package I have, it is included. The only thing I pay extra for is the 2 HD boxes and like 9 bucks a month for the HD channels.

If you don't want them after the season ends, cancel it and renew next year if CBC decides to go with GolTV and CBC Bold for games.

SEXYGREEKMALE
07-26-2008, 10:42 PM
Guys just get FTA satellite and you get to watch all the MLS games for free.

egoodwin
07-27-2008, 12:32 AM
well wtf are they showing on CBC instead at that time?

"How do you solve a problem like Maria?"

CBC, I'll tell you how to solve a problem like Maria, you broadcast the fucking TFC games you signed up for on your main fucking network, if not give it to another network like Sportsnet or the Score...

Kooper
07-27-2008, 09:02 AM
If you have digital cable just call rogers and say you had "heard good things about bold and want to try it out" They will give it to you for free for a few weeks or months.

TFC FAN72
07-27-2008, 09:23 AM
If you have digital cable just call rogers and say you had "heard good things about bold and want to try it out" They will give it to you for free for a few weeks or months.

LOL, only thing with that is that 10,000 people are going to be calling for that channel.:D

Once October rolls around, nobody is going to watch it.:p

Lucky Strike
07-27-2008, 09:47 AM
Is there a way of saving the stream of cbcsports.ca as it airs? I guess it would be like taping the stream.

Pachuco
07-27-2008, 09:50 AM
Is there a way of saving the stream of cbcsports.ca?

They archive it, but it's so bush league they show you the score when you go to access the archived stream AND during the stream. So if you don't want spoilers MLSLive.tv will be showing the game. Honestly, it's been worth the $19.99 I payed at the beginning of the year.

Kickit09
07-27-2008, 12:33 PM
everyone let the CBC scum know your not happy about this CBC BOLD bullshit!

http://www.cbc.ca/contact/

StandUpIfYouHateChelsea
07-27-2008, 03:41 PM
everyone let the CBC scum know your not happy about this CBC BOLD bullshit!

http://www.cbc.ca/contact/

i am hahaha

TicTacTabarnack
07-27-2008, 04:01 PM
well wtf are they showing on CBC instead at that time?

"How do you solve a problem like Maria?"

CBC, I'll tell you how to solve a problem like Maria, you broadcast the fucking TFC games you signed up for on your main fucking network, if not give it to another network like Sportsnet or the Score...

Man ... Does it ever suck but it all boils down to viewers ... Maria? has a ton more and also gets broadcasted in HD. balls! Chicks love that show.

CanuckPete
07-27-2008, 04:25 PM

Uhm... did you not read John's reply, like, four posts before yours?

The Pope
07-27-2008, 04:34 PM
Uhm... did you not read John's reply, like, four posts before yours?

and where in Johns post does it explain why it's not on the main network?

I'm looking at the CBC sched for monday night: CorrieSteet,countdown to Beijing, some reality TV about about some play, another reality show about people running around a city, and then some retarded show about terrorism

all clearly much more important than any live sports event (although if it was hockey rather than TFC, you know it would be on)

TFC FAN72
07-27-2008, 04:41 PM

I'm looking at the CBC sched for monday night: CorrieSteet,countdown to Beijing, some reality TV about about some play, another reality show about people running around a city, and then some retarded show about terrorism

all clearly much more important than any live sports event (although if it was hockey rather than TFC, you know it would be on)

But the game is at 9PM and The National is on at 10PM, so that is why it was moved to CBC BOLD because the CBC thinks people actually watch The National.:rolleyes:

The Pope
07-27-2008, 04:44 PM
^^ and the lesson is, you should never listen to a Pope. 5 points for you :p

Yohan
07-27-2008, 04:49 PM
To be clear, even though we own the rights, we gave away a fair number of games to the Score and Sportsnet so that every game is televised.

As for Monday's game, Sportsnet is showing the Jays at same time so that's out. The Score has WWE RAW which it has to show, so that's out.

And we know TSN isn't going to pick it up.

For those without Bold, you can still watch in online at CBCSports.ca, and we pick up the broadcast feed so the stream is always top notch.

John Molinaro
Reporter, CBCSports.ca
Thanks for the info, John.

While most people will probably tune in via cbcsports stream or hit a pub that actually has CBC bold (and just how many bars do? another question mark...), I'd rather see a tape delay (gasp... what did I just say?) on main CBC channel at midnight or something.

I don't know the ratings system or the whether it's actually worth for CBC to do a tape delay, but as a customer, I'd rather have accessibility to the game, even if it's at a later time. (Yes, I know that shit happens sometimes...)

sully
07-27-2008, 04:56 PM
so I just called Rogers and got CBC Bold free for 3 months...

mdc 77
07-27-2008, 04:59 PM

Maybe not more important shows in your mind, or mine....however the fact is CBC will have better ratings from those shows than a TFC match from Salt Lake. Its just reality.

TFC FAN72
07-27-2008, 04:59 PM
so I just called Rogers and got CBC Bold free for 3 months...

That is what everyone that has a digital terminal should do until the season ends in October. Then when the season starts up again and CBC puts more games on there, just sub again and get 3 months free.:D

Flipityflu
07-27-2008, 05:02 PM
yes, i'm going to contact cbc right now...to bitch about the crying children around here. its being streamed live...thats not good enough. its being broadcast on a channel...thats not good enough.

seriously, is anything good enough for some of you? maybe you won't be happy until nobody broadcasts the damn games.

ilikemusic
07-27-2008, 05:02 PM
'How Do You Solve a Problem Like Mariah?'

:smilielol5:

CBC. Proud supporters of the Toronto FC.

:thumbsup:

The Pope
07-27-2008, 05:10 PM
yes, i'm going to contact cbc right now...to bitch about the crying children around here. its being streamed live...thats not good enough. its being broadcast on a channel...thats not good enough.

seriously, is anything good enough for some of you? maybe you won't be happy until nobody broadcasts the damn games.

I know eh? Supporters wanting their team to get maximum coverage, the nerve of some people :noidea:

Broadview
07-27-2008, 05:11 PM
'How Do You Solve a Problem Like Mariah?'

:thumbsup:

Good question...

http://www.popstarsplus.com/images/MariahCareyPicture.jpg

johnmolinaro
07-27-2008, 06:15 PM
I know eh? Supporters wanting their team to get maximum coverage, the nerve of some people :noidea:

You have to understand that CBC is not an all-sports channel so it's much harder for us to get Toronto FC games on the main network.

There are a lot of variables involved: ratings, contracts, commerical considerations, previous commitments - and therefore we just can't throw on TFC games whenever we want.

We know we can't air all of the games, which is why we've let Sportsnet and the Score come in to air some of them so that all the games are on TV.

As for calling us "scum," well, I'm not sure how to respond to that.

When a lot of you guys were complaining back in March (rightly so) that no exhibition games were on TV, we went down to South Carolina and streamed games so you could see the team in pre-season.

We lost money on that, but we wanted to do it because there was a big outcry from fans to see those games.

I realize you guys get frustrated sometimes because the games aren't on the main network or not in HD - and that's fine.

But it's frustrating to hear comments about us being "scum" or that we should let someone else show TFC games when, in reality, I think CBC does a far better job on game broadcasts than Sportsnet and the Score.

I'm not saying everything has been perfect. Far from it. But all I ask is for you to look at the big picture and not be so vitriolic in your comments (ie; calling us scum) when we've gone out of our way to show Toronto FC games and give the team plenty of coverage even though the ratings are very low.

Cheers,

John

The Pope
07-27-2008, 06:23 PM
since you quoted me....

i'm not the biggest fan of CBC, but I've never called you guys scum

just making that clear

johnmolinaro
07-27-2008, 06:27 PM
since you quoted me....

i'm not the biggest fan of CBC, but I've never called you guys scum

just making that clear

I'm sure you didn't. but someone did call us "scum", which is why I brought it up. Didn't mean to impune you personally.

John

The Pope
07-27-2008, 06:34 PM
now get us some HD

j/k

Sonny Cheeba
07-27-2008, 06:37 PM
can the streams on cbc.ca/sports be seen in full screen? i couldn't figure it out during the whitecaps game a few weeks ago.

so i watched it in tiny mode.

yeah not the brightest sometimes.

rocker
come on! i want CBC to deliver a copy of the game to my door before the game starts ;)

johnmolinaro
now get us some HD

j/k

I'll keep bringing it up to management and the people who make the decisions.

John

TFC FAN72
07-27-2008, 06:40 PM
I'll keep bringing it up to management and the people who make the decisions.

John

I voiced my displeasure to CBC about this, but bottom line is I am a TFC fan and I succumbed to not being able to watch the games and just got it added.

Now whatever other programs are worthless to me, but for the 2.99 a month it costs, I would rather pay that and watch on my tv than try to watch it on a 21" monitor.

Hopefully, with more exposure and fans comes a better TV deal.

*****EDIT***** AND I WANT IT IN HD AS WELL.

DOMIN8R
07-27-2008, 07:08 PM
Thank you, John. In a sea of insanity, you are often an achor of reason.

johnmolinaro
07-27-2008, 07:30 PM
Thank you, John. In a sea of insanity, you are often an achor of reason.

thanks!

It seems to me that a lot of you have complaints, questions and general queries not only about CBC's coverage of Toronto FC, but also about my colleagues in the Toronto media in general and how we in the media cover the team.

I find myself coming onto the board to give explanations about both (which I don't mind), but I'm often put off by the vitriolic comments of a small minority of you and I am getting a bit frustrated.

I hesitate to make this offer because I'm not sure of what I'd be getting myself into, but would an in-person meeting be of any interest to you - someplace where we can gather and you can air your grievances and ask me questions about CBC's coverage and about the Toronto media in general?

Would enough people want to gather at a Toronto bar (you guys pick the place) one night so you can ask me questions directly?

As I said, I'm a bit frustrated, and I get the sense some of you are frustrated with my answers, so maybe an informal and firendly gathering where you can ask me questions might help.

Let me know.

John

The Pope
07-27-2008, 07:35 PM
no explainations are really neccessary from you John, although i'd never pass up the chance for a pint (even if I'm paying for my own)

some writers are just jerks, and we don't like the way some games are televised

not much to be done on either front unfortunatly until we get bigger

now some may argue that wont happen until those writers stop being jerks and all our games are on TV (in HD) but thats life, we're only in year two and things will hopefully change

dont take internet insults personally is the best advice

The Historian
07-27-2008, 07:54 PM
I understand that a lot of people on these boards are frustrated; they want to be able to see the team they love and not everyone has CBC Bold. But CBC's coverage is, in my opinion, much better than Sportsnet or the Score - and I KNOW I've read threads ripping those two networks after they've done telecasts.

John Molinaro makes very valid points about the variables that are taken into consideration when CBC decides what to air on the main network. The main network is a national channel and, as great as TFC fans are and as successful as the club's support has been, it's not yet a part of the national consciousness. More CBC telecasts of TFC games are crucial in making sure the club and soccer in Canada gains national exposure, but this won't happen overnight.

At least we have the streaming option on CBC.ca, though I hope it's a better feed that the TFC v. Whitecaps game in Vancouver... when the feed was full-screen on my computer, I couldn't tell what was going on half the time!

Oh, and John, thanks for coming on here so often to give us the scoop on CBC and TFC!

ilikemusic
07-27-2008, 07:58 PM
I dont see how an in-person meeting changes anything.

You get plenty of feedback through these boards. The only people who are going to show are the most ardent and interested supporters (and those who live near the meeting place). The people who go out of their way on a daily basis to promote and foster interest in Toronto FC regardless, so are they really a good representation of the audience CBC needs to capture in order to make Toronto FC broadcasts an economically viable option? What questions can be answered in person that couldnt be answered over the board?

If this is simply a 'im sick of the mean spirited comments so my only communication from now on will be in person with RPB members' then go right ahead.

If you ask me, broadcasting pre-season games is not something that CBC's was pressured, or even should have felt pressure to do. The North Carolina Challenge Cup is not a relevant competition, and to say 'we broadcasted that at a loss so cut us some slack' is a bit of a red herring. I could not have cared less if they were broadcast and if it were anybody's responsibility to show these pre-season games then it was MLSE's and MLSE's alone. Regular season, league games are what matters and are what fans want to see.

I dont know what suggestions would be aired in a public forum that arent glaringly obvious and well known already.

Possibly youre thinking that if we put a face to the name we wont be so quick to criticize, but ill guarantee every single time from here until it stops people are going to be livid that in order to watch a TFC game they will have to order a channel that they will never watch for anything else.

Corporate tact is never going to mesh well with fervent impassioned support.

And if I may just interject some of my own opinion, leaving aside advertising commitments and such, what makes more sense to invest in from a long-term perspective? A 10 week reality show about finding a new lead for a play based on an old movie, or a sports franchise with a groundswell of grass roots and burgeoning corporate support that will be around every year for decades to come?

To me the choice is pretty obvious; But I guess thats why im not running the CBC.

johnmolinaro
07-27-2008, 08:40 PM
I dont see how an in-person meeting changes anything.

You get plenty of feedback through these boards. The only people who are going to show are the most ardent and interested supporters (and those who live near the meeting place). The people who go out of their way on a daily basis to promote and foster interest in Toronto FC regardless, so are they really a good representation of the audience CBC needs to capture in order to make Toronto FC broadcasts an economically viable option? What questions can be answered in person that couldnt be answered over the board?

If this is simply a 'im sick of the mean spirited comments so my only communication from now on will be in person with RPB members' then go right ahead.

If you ask me, broadcasting pre-season games is not something that CBC's was pressured, or even should have felt pressure to do. The North Carolina Challenge Cup is not a relevant competition, and to say 'we broadcasted that at a loss so cut us some slack' is a bit of a red herring. I could not have cared less if they were broadcast and if it were anybody's responsibility to show these pre-season games then it was MLSE's and MLSE's alone. Regular season, league games are what matters and are what fans want to see.

I dont know what suggestions would be aired in a public forum that arent glaringly obvious and well known already.

Possibly youre thinking that if we put a face to the name we wont be so quick to criticize, but ill guarantee every single time from here until it stops people are going to be livid that in order to watch a TFC game they will have to order a channel that they will never watch for anything else.

Corporate tact is never going to mesh well with fervent impassioned support.

And if I may just interject some of my own opinion, leaving aside advertising commitments and such, what makes more sense to invest in from a long-term perspective? A 10 week reality show about finding a new lead for a play based on an old movie, or a sports franchise with a groundswell of grass roots and burgeoning corporate support that will be around every year for decades to come?

To me the choice is pretty obvious; But I guess thats why im not running the CBC.

Fair enough. The in-person get-together was just an idea. I'll continue to answer questions and queries here on the board when I can.

John

The Pope
07-27-2008, 08:44 PM
if you promise to buy the brews, i'm sure a few of us would still go lol

nice gesture John, but probably not really neccessary

twistedchinaman
07-27-2008, 08:49 PM
Like it or not folks, the CBC is a government broadcaster, but it is a NATIONAL broadcaster. The American teams would probably cut off their own left testicle to have a NATIONAL, FREE TO AIR broadcaster carry their games -- ABC in the states carries 2 games at max a year, and suffers from a myriad of fucking morons calling their games. *coughEricWynaldacough*

But we have:
- National coverage
- Nigel, Jason and Mitch (Brenda we can seriously do without -- John, how's about Steve Armitage? Or maybe pull Martine Geyer from Sportsnet? Hell, even Strombo...Would either one be up for it?)
- No Gerry Dobson
- Learned coverage that is pretty accommodating
- Nigel-isms (ask the Red Shit fans if their caller is on the same level as Nigel)

Granted it ain't perfect, and there are mistakes aplenty, but like us they are doing this only in their second year. And CBC doesn't do sports -- they've got other shit to do, like tennis, the Olympics (which will be lost to...ugh...TSN...for Vancouver and London), HNIC while balancing other crap like Mansbridge and the news, and stuff like Test the Nation (great idea by the way)

I may be a Tory, but I say long live the CBC -- as long as you keep carrying the MLS. Oh, and HD wouldn't hurt either.

FluSH
07-28-2008, 12:54 PM
What channel is CBC Bold in Pickering?!?!?! I'm Trying to get The Fox n Fiddle Mansion to carry it...

fetajr
07-28-2008, 12:59 PM
if you know anyone pirating Dish Network, it should be on mls direct kick or somewhere on there

fetajr
07-28-2008, 01:02 PM
MLS direct kick on Dish network (http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/whats_on_dish/pay_per_view/sports/soccer/mls_schedule/index.shtml)

Heathen
07-28-2008, 01:02 PM
I'm sure you didn't. but someone did call us "scum", which is why I brought it up. Didn't mean to impune you personally.

John

forget this CBC Bold shit, we want to know why your camera people are getting supporters thrown out of the stadium after repeatedly being asked not to block the view

FluSH
07-28-2008, 01:05 PM
and is CBC Bold called CBC Bold on Rogers or just Bold? They can't seem to find it at Rogers?!?!?!

W T F

Pyeddo
07-28-2008, 01:05 PM
One would think that the CBC, after losing the broadcast of the Olympics, and the NHL next year... would want to use its MLS broadcast rights to their fullest in an attempt to start bringing in a new demo. of viewers.

alexintoronto
07-28-2008, 01:11 PM
Fair enough. The in-person get-together was just an idea. I'll continue to answer questions and queries here on the board when I can.

John
Would this "in-person get-together" have free beer?

alexintoronto
07-28-2008, 01:11 PM
and is CBC Bold called CBC Bold on Rogers or just Bold? They can't seem to find it at Rogers?!?!?!

W T F

I think it's channel 277 - used to be Country Canada, now CBC Bold.

Tintin
07-28-2008, 01:13 PM

W T F

Just BOLD

Tintin
07-28-2008, 01:13 PM
yes 277

bangersandmash
07-28-2008, 01:14 PM
isn't the game being streamed on cbcsports.ca? Just plug your computer into your TV and home theatre and you're good to go.

FluSH
07-28-2008, 01:16 PM
Please read:

A ruling by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission on the CBC's application for a sports channel is expected next month or in September.
Scott Moore, the head of CBC Sports, says he is "mildly optimistic" that it will be approved.
"I'd like to think we've got a good shot at it," he said this week.
The CBC's optimism may have been muted by the fierce opposition to the channel from Rogers Media, CTV-TSN and Score Media. They're asking for genre protection — since the CBC sports channel would be similar in many ways to TSN, Rogers Sportsnet and The Score, the application should be denied. CRTC rules state new channels must offer unique programming.

source: http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080725.wspttruth25/GSStory/GlobeSportsOther/home

Let's just say that if CBC Sports isn't approved we will most likely see less TFC soccer on television. Also, one of the above networks is in a fierce battle to make sure that TFC does not succeed and is made a laughing stock in regards to other sports out there (for the sake of their ratings)... You can guess which cock-blocking network is anti-TFC.

-FluSH

Bluenose13
07-28-2008, 01:19 PM
forget this CBC Bold shit, we want to know why your camera people are getting supporters thrown out of the stadium after repeatedly being asked not to block the viewI could be wrong but wasn't that ESPN's television crew :noidea:

FluSH
07-28-2008, 01:28 PM
I could be wrong but wasn't that ESPN's television crew :noidea:

Yup... there is no way CBC has that kind of dough to have a 30ft stretch arm on a camera =P

unfortunately.

Hitcho
07-28-2008, 01:31 PM
John

Thanks for pushing the HD case for us - what's the chance of at least getting some games in HD next season? (Ideally away games since most of us will be at the home ones). Surely you can convince someone at CBC HQ to put the LA Galaxy game on HD? Just keep whispering davidbeckham over and over again...

Also, Rest assured that there is a silent majority (a big one in fact) who are genuinely grateful that every TFC game is on live TV one way or another (there are an awful lot of TFC fans who never venture onto any boards or fan group sites, and they'd all be gutted if they couldn't watch the games on tv, just as much as the hardcore fans on here would be). The views of one or two frustrated people who use the boards as a mouthpiece don't represent the masses (at least not in all cases). Please keep the games on TV and do what you can to keep them on the main CBC channel - cheers.

For what it's worth, I appreciated your pub meet offer, but just send someone down to Shoeless when TFC are playing away if you want to canvas some opinions in a low key manner. You'll also catch people off guard and not be likely to get pre-meditated rants about stuff that way.

Lastly, appreciate that you have to hawk some games to keep them all on TV, but if you could try and hawk them to an HD channel, that would be good.

Cheers!

Hitcho

Hitcho
07-28-2008, 01:37 PM
I could be wrong but wasn't that ESPN's television crew :noidea:

If any tv crew ever does this again at BMO Field, you can get rid of the cameras by making offensive but not illegal getsures at the camera. Pump the finger and mouth the *shudder* f-word and the producre will hoik the camera - they can't use that footage on live tv.

Alternatively, start a streamer shower to protect identites and then start launching beer at the camera. It'll disappear faster than an MLSE rep when someone says "roof" at BMO Field. :D:D:D

noochie
07-28-2008, 01:41 PM

John

Also, in fairness... I get the sense that most people are frustrated more with your employer and not necessarily your direct responses. I would not take it too personally ;)

I also work for a company that has a love/hate relationship with the media and the users of the products we develop. I try and take it in stride, sometimes your skin has to toughen up a bit though, I have found.

flatpicker
07-28-2008, 01:48 PM
I can't believe I am not able to watch this game at home!
< not that I am complaining to anyone... just grumbling at the fact that I wanted to stay in and work while watching TFC >

How many people actually get CBC Bold anyways?
Do most people have access? I just have the regular 60-odd channels.

FluSH
07-28-2008, 02:03 PM
I can't believe I am not able to watch this game at home!
< not that I am complaining to anyone... just grumbling at the fact that I wanted to stay in and work while watching TFC >

How many people actually get CBC Bold anyways?
Do most people have access? I just have the regular 60-odd channels.

It's about $3.75 to get it... I cancel right after the game

t.o_moose
07-28-2008, 02:15 PM
uhh.. not trying to cause any alarm here.. but according to the guide on my Rogers box, at 9-10:40pm tonight BOLD (277) is showing:

"I Love a Man in Uniform"
(1993) An actor transforms himself into the tough cop he portrays on a reality based TV series. Tom McCamus, Brigitte Bako. Drama **

followed by "Guest Room" and then "Canadian Geographic Presents"

:confused:

ManUtd4ever
07-28-2008, 02:18 PM
uhh.. not trying to cause any alarm here.. but according to the guide on my Rogers box, at 9-10:40pm tonight BOLD (277) is showing:

(1993) An actor transforms himself into the tough cop he portrays on a reality based TV series. Tom McCamus, Brigitte Bako. Drama **

I wouldn't worry about it, the rogers guide is inaccurate all the time...

Sonny Cheeba
07-28-2008, 02:21 PM
i find that the guide on the rogers box is only 80-90% accurate when it comes to sports listings on non-sports specific channels.

so no one answered me about the full screen option on the cbc website. i couldn't figure it out for the whitecaps game.

do i have to watch it as a tiny window?

FluSH
07-28-2008, 02:30 PM

I saw the same SHIT!!!! OMFG!

FluSH
07-28-2008, 02:31 PM
i find that the guide on the rogers box is only 80-90% accurate when it comes to sports listings on non-sports specific channels.

so no one answered me about the full screen option on the cbc website. i couldn't figure it out for the whitecaps game.

do i have to watch it as a tiny window?

There is definately a full screen option, but I find the resolution worse at full-screen.

noochie
07-28-2008, 02:42 PM
BOLD on the Cogeco guide has the game in the correct slot. It has been for a while as I set the recording yesterday. Not sure what might be up with Rogers.

Alixir
07-28-2008, 02:50 PM
yeah CBC Bold eh....great exposure for our team...only putting the game on a channel THAT NOBODY HAS!!

Miko
07-28-2008, 03:11 PM
The TV thread always makes me laugh.

Yes Bold is carrying the game but at least you can see it. Bold (formerly Country Canada) had games last year and has had games this year yet everytime a game is shown on it, everyone reacts like it's the first time it's happened.

Be glad there is an option to see it. If Montreal and Vancouver get teams, I think there will be even fewer TFC games on CBC national and a lot more on Bold as they will have an obligation as per their licence to show games from all 3 teams.

John: Thanks for explaining the behind the scenes stuff - it's good to know.

togetherness
07-28-2008, 03:15 PM
Will the game be streamed Live on CBC as well ???

Jay P
07-28-2008, 03:17 PM
^^^
yes

noochie
07-28-2008, 03:17 PM
The TV thread always makes me laugh.

Yes Bold is carrying the game but at least you can see it. Bold (formerly Country Canada) had games last year and has had games this year yet everytime a game is shown on it, everyone reacts like it's the first time it's happened.

Be glad there is an option to see it. If Montreal and Vancouver get teams, I think there will be even fewer TFC games on CBC national and a lot more on Bold as they will have an obligation as per their licence to show games from all 3 teams.

John: Thanks for explaining the behind the scenes stuff - it's good to know.

You are totally correct, we should be thankful that we can watch "The Border" at the same time we are on the computer and looking at CBC's video player. :rolleyes:

It isn't about US being able to watch the game... we all know that we can grab it from a number of places. This however, does nothing to encourage a new or average fan to pick it up and watch it. There is no wonder why TV numbers suck so badly for this club.

Dirk Diggler
07-28-2008, 03:23 PM
BTW, what's with the weird naming schemes for the second CBC channel? First "Country Canada" and now "Bold"? Seriously, who comes up with these silly names? The previous name made it sound as if the channel was dedicated to country music or something. On the other hand, "Bold" just seems as if it would show some new age HBO kind of programming, which it definitely doesn't. Why not just call it CBC 2 or something.

NateDoGG
07-28-2008, 03:25 PM
im tryin to get ppl from fbtz.com to cap this

but i will be watching the cbc.ca stream for sure on my laptop.... better then not watching it at all

effing cbc bold, why is tfc moving their games to that channel that noooobody has

Miko
07-28-2008, 03:30 PM
^^ Maybe you're right about The Border but CBC will never pre-empt The National for what, for all appearances to the CBC is a local sporting event, with little or no interest in the other major markets in Canada (specifically Montreal, Vancouver and Calgary)

If CBC's Toronto affliate could do a market only broadcast, then it might be possible but as a National broadcaster, they won't do it.

CBC is a bottom line corporation and they won't give up prime time ad dollars to "grow" viewership.

They can't afford to.

Brooker
07-28-2008, 03:41 PM
is it gonna be on at Shoeless?

olegunnar
07-28-2008, 03:43 PM
Maybe CBC has the rights to all the games, then sells the rights to the ones they can't show to Sportsnet and The Score.
Maybe no one wanted to buy the rights (or offer a decent price) to a monday night game against crappy RSL on a crappy carpet with gridiron lines so CBC got stuck with the game.
Maybe since they have people on their staff that are good at math and realize the 25,000 people that would watch the game is far less than the 800,000+ that will watch The National, so maybe CBC decided to show the game on CBC bold and have it streamed live on their website rather than lose the viewership for the National.

Maybe people need a dose of reality. No matter how much they'd like to show the game for us, CBC is a television station that caters to 30+ million Canadians, not a handful of die hard TFC fans and supporters.

Maybe instead of railing on the molinaro guy, we should rail on the people we know that aren't watching the games on tv, because they're the reason we're watching the game on a laptop tonight.

Jay P
07-28-2008, 03:51 PM
Maybe instead of railing on the molinaro guy, we should rail on the people we know that aren't watching the games on tv, because they're the reason we're watching the game on a laptop tonight.

YUP I know enough ppl who do not watch away games....

I'll be @ jack astors across from sherway tonight watching it cause i don't have bold, and its a good halfway point for my friends and i

Kooper
07-28-2008, 03:54 PM
My plan to get a free preview of Bold from Rogers did not work. Apparently it is too new for free previews. I will have to resort to the CBC stream.

tfcleeds
07-28-2008, 03:59 PM
Yep, I don't know why everyone is so up in arms about it. It's not like CBC has shown any TFC games thus far that fell on weekdays. As for me, I'll be watching the live stream...

labanda
07-28-2008, 04:52 PM
It's about $3.75 to get it... I cancel right after the game

So they charge you the full $3.75 even if you cancel right after?

noochie
07-28-2008, 05:05 PM
Maybe people need a dose of reality. No matter how much they'd like to show the game for us, CBC is a television station that caters to 30+ million Canadians, not a handful of die hard TFC fans and supporters.

I see what you are saying but CBC is a regional network. Why do you think that hockey night can show three games in the same timeslot? We are not talking about a national broadcast but is it unreasonable to ask them to preempt "The Border" with a TFC game in the local/regional market?

I am not sure what kind of numbers that show gets in the same market but I doubt they would be taking a huge hit on an "away" game in this market. If anyone has the numbers, I would be interested in seeing them.

BritSOL
07-28-2008, 06:13 PM
I called Rogers last week to ask about getting CBC Bold on my digital box. She told me I had 2 options. Start paying right away for the 1 channel at $2.99 for the month, or it also comes as part of a package that is free for 90 days. A long as I cancel before the 3 months is up, I will not pay anything. She actually gave me the exact date that I have to cancel by (October 31st).

The package gives me about 80 extra channels, mostly in the upper 200s and spread across the 400s

Sonny Cheeba
07-28-2008, 07:55 PM
I called Rogers last week to ask about getting CBC Bold on my digital box. She told me I had 2 options. Start paying right away for the 1 channel at $2.99 for the month, or it also comes as part of a package that is free for 90 days. A long as I cancel before the 3 months is up, I will not pay anything. She actually gave me the exact date that I have to cancel by (October 31st).

The package gives me about 80 extra channels, mostly in the upper 200s and spread across the 400s

for real? you did this? i'm calling them right now.

flatpicker
07-28-2008, 08:07 PM
why must the CBC online feed have such a small window????

Daveisonfire
07-28-2008, 08:09 PM
Feed...not....working?

flatpicker
07-28-2008, 08:10 PM
the online feed is fine for me... just too damn small!!!!!!

why don't they let me enlarge the window!!!???

Sonny Cheeba
07-28-2008, 08:11 PM
yeah i couldn't get it larger either so i'm using
http://www.justin.tv/jtv_sports4

not too bad.

flatpicker
07-28-2008, 08:14 PM
yeah i couldn't get it larger either so i'm using
http://www.justin.tv/jtv_sports4

not too bad.

thanks!!!

:)

Sonny Cheeba
07-28-2008, 08:15 PM
word up. the cbc player didn't seem to work to well. i don't know if it's because i have a mac or not.

my pc is broken anyways, so i couldn't check.