PDA

View Full Version : BMO Field construction thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Ivy
11-05-2015, 10:35 AM
Pics and construction talk. No Argos stuff please.

CanadaLFC
11-05-2015, 10:47 AM
http://seasonseats.torontofc.ca/new-bmo-expansion.php

You can see that the north end is just a patio. It looks ridiculous.

Add in the fact that the canopy over the south end is so much higher up, it actually looks stupid.

OfficeGuy
11-05-2015, 10:52 AM
seems they are also counting on TIFO going up - similar to Portland
-have they offered to subsidize their creation?

"we will also be introducing a rigging system for tifo displays, similar to those in European stadiums, as well as new sound and lighting systems."

nfitz
11-05-2015, 11:58 AM
Add in the fact that the canopy over the south end is so much higher up, it actually looks stupid.I'd assume they are allowing for construction of more seats sometime in the future - or at least temporary seating for big events.

I wouldn't take the graphic too seriously ... if so, perhaps the bigger question is why is the entire south end sitting down during the anthem? :)

Phil
11-05-2015, 12:05 PM
seems they are also counting on TIFO going up - similar to Portland
-have they offered to subsidize their creation?

"we will also be introducing a rigging system for tifo displays, similar to those in European stadiums, as well as new sound and lighting systems."

No need to subsidize their creation, but they have been working with all the groups as far as including this system in the upgrade.

Initial B
11-05-2015, 12:31 PM
I'm sure one of the reasons they're leaving the north end open is to allow for stage construction for concerts.

Pint
11-05-2015, 12:42 PM
I will be going by bmo tomorrow night, ill see if i can snap a few pics.

Also have been told no concerts will take place.

Mateo1985
11-05-2015, 12:53 PM
I just saw BMO field. There is no construction or workers going on yet

Red CB Toronto
11-05-2015, 12:55 PM
I will be going by bmo tomorrow night, ill see if i can snap a few pics.

Also have been told no concerts will take place.

Concerts have never been a thing a BMO, heck they put on one and never again, too many better fabilities available for use.

SoccMan2
11-05-2015, 01:33 PM
What a joke of a stadium basically looks ugly to accommodate the Argos and the other events the stadium will hosts, so in the end because of it having to be an all purpose stadium you get this ugly looking stadium in the end. The North stands are gone, so Otis now an even more open stadium, the south end roof over the stands is a joke, how much will people be protected from the elements with that big space between the stands and the canopy, the sound will escape so the stadium will not sound more noisy exspecially with the north stands gone, but MLSE still is trying to sell this BMO renovation as a great thing when it's not. The stadium has not improved it has actually been made worse with the removal of the north stand, sorry but Saputo Stadium with all it's warts is way more intimate than this new BMO will be, MLSE really thinks we are all idiots.

billyfly
11-05-2015, 01:45 PM
My 2 cents - If you are made at MLSE, be mad at everything including your local governments.

I think that the GTA should have a nice stadium for soccer and 1 for football. This isn't the US (which is also changing) where you can justify giving things to teams.

How in the hell does the City of Toronto get the PAN AM games but Hamilton gets a stadium and not Toronto (??)

jabbronies
11-05-2015, 01:51 PM
It looks like Tim Horton's Field. Just another shitty CFL stadium - only this one will be empty!!

Ivy
11-05-2015, 02:41 PM
That's so fugly...
go stand behind the north end during warm up if you want some free soccer balls.

Chevy
11-05-2015, 03:03 PM
Maybe i'm in the minority, but I really like the look of the design. Sure the north end is far from perfect, but overall it will be an excellent venue for footie.

Brooker
11-05-2015, 03:52 PM
We're gonna have a 3 sided stadium again? Why are we going backwards? lol.

Oh well.

Red CB Toronto
11-05-2015, 04:49 PM
It looks like Tim Horton's Field. Just another shitty CFL stadium - only this one will be empty!!

Tim Horton's field is actually quite a nice stadium, good sight lines and amenities.

ManUtd4ever
11-05-2015, 05:58 PM
It does seem like a step backwards. For a multi-use facility, I guess that's the best design we could hope for. It would have been nice to have retractable/removable bleachers to fill out the north end, but MLSE must have decided against it due to budgetary concerns.

Lennon
11-05-2015, 06:39 PM
No stand in the north makes it look very minor league.

jazzy
11-05-2015, 06:53 PM
As I've mentioned somewhere, the open end is worse than Columbus field and say goodbye to any retained sound .....nothing is good about next year ! Raise $, some seats simply gone for some , same team , we'll rise to 5th place maybe ? Worse thing is I really was hoping for a sound emporium where the great singers could be heard . Probably the only form of intimidation we can bring to BMO field , despite Bez's letter to STH's that our stadium has become an intimidating place where teams find it difficult to play ?? What a gap btwn us and FO . Simply no link or idea/input btwn us. No one in their right mind would ever show this stadium as an example of a soccer stadium .

Jeff s
11-05-2015, 07:07 PM
Can't they just do some kind of temporary seating in the north end instead of leaving it looking like a piece of shit?

Also, is the roof in the south end really gonna be that high? No way will the acoustics be taken advantage of.

Qman
11-05-2015, 07:56 PM
Can't they just do some kind of temporary seating in the north end instead of leaving it looking like a piece of shit?

Also, is the roof in the south end really gonna be that high? No way will the acoustics be taken advantage of.

i'd be surprised if a roof over the southend is even built, they need room to put in winter classic/grey cup seats.

Red100
11-05-2015, 08:10 PM
Read this about the new MLS stadiums coming. Well thought out designs, excellent supporters sections etc. Too bad for us:

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2015/11/05/soccer-specific-stadium-mls-orlando-dc-united-minnesota-miami

troy1982
11-05-2015, 08:19 PM
Just a reminder of what we were supposed to get if the Argos did not join

http://scottandkat.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/BMO-Expansion-2.jpg
http://scottandkat.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/BMO-Expansion-5.jpg

Mateo1985
11-05-2015, 09:28 PM
Sound box stadiums are always best hands down. Unfortunately we won't have one. Now that Bmo is Argos house and other events venue, is there a chance they plan to build another soccer specific stadium somewhere in GTA? Could be a possibility. A long shot but you never know

OgtheDim
11-05-2015, 09:29 PM
i'd be surprised if a roof over the southend is even built, they need room to put in winter classic/grey cup seats.

The supports were being worked on before the season ended.

OgtheDim
11-05-2015, 09:31 PM
Sound box stadiums are always best hands down. Unfortunately we won't have one. Now that Bmo is Argos house and other events venue, is there a chance they plan to build another soccer specific stadium somewhere in GTA? Could be a possibility. A long shot but you never know

Isn't there another thread for this sort of speculation?

troy1982
11-05-2015, 11:00 PM
Read this about the new MLS stadiums coming. Well thought out designs, excellent supporters sections etc. Too bad for us:

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2015/11/05/soccer-specific-stadium-mls-orlando-dc-united-minnesota-miami

In a few years, BMO Field will be one of the shittiest stadiums in MLS

Redcoe15
11-05-2015, 11:38 PM
^^But perfect for the CFL! :facepalm: :banghead:

Joe Kool
11-06-2015, 12:08 AM

I was told they are putting it that high to accommodate temp south end seating for the bigger events above the current south end. Not sure if that is still the plan though.

Auzzy
11-06-2015, 12:51 AM
AFAIK, the roof on the west side will also be very high, and not closed at the back. That's because they're not changing or connecting anything. The new roof will float above the press boxes and above the existing mini-roof. How often does rain fall straight down at BMO Field? Not often.

SoccMan2
11-06-2015, 03:38 AM
I'm wondering if the south stands are going to be retracting anymore? I read that all they are going to do now is just configure the field differently at least for CFL football from what I read. Therefore , they are really changing the original plan to save money it seems.

Phil
11-06-2015, 08:19 AM
Here is a video I stumbled on. Around the 5 minute mark the north looks to be updated:

https://vimeo.com/113660049

Pint
11-06-2015, 08:37 AM

MLSE are going to have put 200+ mil into BMO, unless someone else is building the thing we won't be moving any time soon.

jabbronies
11-06-2015, 09:03 AM
Tim Horton's field is actually quite a nice stadium, good sight lines and amenities.

I saw the Pan Am Soccer finals there. Nothing intimate about it. The open ends really kill that vibe. It draws your focus outside the stadium.

jabbronies
11-06-2015, 09:11 AM
Here is a video I stumbled on. Around the 5 minute mark the north looks to be updated:

So Just thinking about the patio and how it'll factor in during the games.

If it's sunny, people will go there. Not sure why - but people seem to love to sit on a patio and not pay attention to the match. we saw it the first few seasons at BMO
However, when it rains, people will end up staying in their seats. Currently the North end was the only place with cover to watch the match. Now your seats are the only things covered. lol

So I guess that's a bonus.

jabbronies
11-06-2015, 09:13 AM
Oh I'd like to add a suggestion here - not that MSLE reads the boards anymore, but

- In the concession area, when the 12 minute intermission is up, there should be some sort of audible notification to tell people to go back to their seats. They did it in a few stadium I went to in England and they also do it at the opera house in Toronto. Really works well IMO

Areathrasher
11-06-2015, 09:16 AM
From the video Phil posted...

Patio
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CTIkMUTWsAAVXyg.png

What looks like and extra tier of temp seating in the south
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CTImFPVWcAAHn7T.png

nfitz
11-06-2015, 10:19 AM
The supports were being worked on before the season ended.Exactly. I'm not sure why people are doubting that construction of the roofs will happen, given that it's already started!

I'm wondering if the south stands are going to be retracting anymore? I read that all they are going to do now is just configure the field differently at least for CFL football from what I read. Therefore , they are really changing the original plan to save money it seems.Good question. We haven't heard much about the first 6 or 8 rows of the south being modified since they made the Argo deal, somehow cutting the renovation costs, and the CFL agreeing to play on a somewhat shorter field than usual.

It's my theory that changing to the shorter field, has made it possible to leave the south stands alone, thus saving money. But there's been little communication.

Pint
11-06-2015, 10:24 AM
last i heard the front 6-8 rows would be removable for the other thing. Will not retract but would be taken out of the stadium, my info is a few months old now so who knows what the plan is.

Mateo1985
11-06-2015, 10:42 AM
So is there any construction actually going on right now? I see a crane there but it's not even close to the stadium. don't see any workers either.

Pint
11-06-2015, 10:45 AM
Construction my not actually start going full tilt til tomorrow or Monday. I'll give a report as I will be in bmo tonight picking up the kings drums from storage.

Ivy
11-06-2015, 11:03 AM
So is there any construction actually going on right now? I see a crane there but it's not even close to the stadium. don't see any workers either.
They have to bring in all their trailers, machines, and fence off the area before they start. They're also going to bring in a lot of the materials needed first.

troy1982
11-06-2015, 11:26 AM

Well if BMO was a Soccer stadium both those point would have been addressed but BMO is now a multi purpose stadium so the canopy is that high on the south end for extra seating for the Grey cup and outdoor hockey games.

T-boy
11-06-2015, 11:45 AM
My home team in England, Oxford - has a 3 sided stadium. BMO is going to be much the same, albeit bigger. Trust me, guys, a 3 sided stadium is not fun, even with a roof. You always lose a bunch of atmosphere without that fourth end. Plus we are staring at the Gardiner which isn't exactly beautiful!

The Oxford stadium, for reference and comparison:

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/67592000/jpg/_67592809_kassam.jpg

kodiakTFC
11-06-2015, 12:13 PM

I hate to break it you but this video is 11 months old and was the previous renovation rendering.

gdg_9
11-06-2015, 12:18 PM
Oh I'd like to add a suggestion here - not that MSLE reads the boards anymore, but

- In the concession area, when the 12 minute intermission is up, there should be some sort of audible notification to tell people to go back to their seats. They did it in a few stadium I went to in England and they also do it at the opera house in Toronto. Really works well IMO

This is a great idea.

But my cynical side says I doubt they do it, because it would mean a few less people buying from concessions.

Areathrasher
11-06-2015, 12:19 PM
I hate to break it you but this video is 11 months old and was the previous renovation rendering.

Correct, however, contrast the end of the video to the end of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJfXwBxqu4M

And you'll see where Phil is coming from.

kodiakTFC
11-06-2015, 12:20 PM
Correct, however, contrast the end of the video to the end of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJfXwBxqu4M

And you'll see where Phil is coming from.

Aaaahhhhh. What the hell! Illuminati!

SuperTCP
11-06-2015, 12:42 PM
I heard North Patio to be a hosting area, but have now heard they may charge admission to this Standing only section to make up for lost funds from North Stands.

Pint
11-06-2015, 12:45 PM
I heard North Patio to be a hosting area, but have now heard they may charge admission to this Standing only section to make up for lost funds from North Stands.

Don't doubt you but the lost rev from the north stand should be coming from the entity that forced them to take down the north end.

reggie
11-06-2015, 12:55 PM
what is the F O waiting for..typical mlse treating the fan base like shite.

SuperTCP
11-06-2015, 01:21 PM
Don't doubt you but the lost rev from the north stand should be coming from the entity that forced them to take down the north end.

I agree 100% with you, but that entity A. Makes no money B. Spends no money.

james
11-06-2015, 01:51 PM
The roofs would be much better if they at least closed in the backs, when it rains it usually comes sideways. With the huge gap between the south end and the roof means people could still maybe getting wet, and the wind will still rip through the stadium. Closing in the back will help a lot.

Now say we have no North Stand next year, and a big open gap between roofs and the actual stands, this may not mean renovations and such can not be added after this year. I know a lot of people are mad that we don't have everything we want right away, but things like closing in the gaps between the roofs and the stands could probably be easily renovated in the future, and maybe a new North Stand in the future could be added a few years down the road to accomodate the new size of the fields. I know there is a lot of complaints, but this stadium is a big improvement from 2007 years as we never had any kind of roof and no North Stand, the stadium was so much more flimsy then it is today. Sometimes I find a bit to much complaining on here. We like to come up with ideas how to improve the stadium, but by no means will BMO be the worst stadium in MLS next year. Maybe a bit of a exaggeration here guys on how shitty the stadium is going to be. It won't be no Red Bull Stadium but its not bad either. The main worry I have is just make sure we don't get any dam CFL lines on are field and hope the grass can with stand the abuse, (but thats another forum). Other renovations and improvements lets hope maybe more renovations can be added.

If anyone knows England stadiums back in the 80's up till about 94 (massive renovations started around the country in 1994 for majority of the top few division clubs, many stadiums today are unrecognizable from pre date 1994), many, many stadiums had open air stadiums, odd shaped stands, uneven stands, even 2 and 3 stand stadiums. And yet some of those stadiums were louder and better atmosphere then today (tho that has more to do with fact many hardcore fans have been priced out of stadiums like Old Trafford and Emrites.) You still see some stands across Europe that are ugly and worn down, have bad site lines (some countries most stadiums have a running track around the field) but still have electric atmosphere. Lets all just see how this plays out.

OgtheDim
11-06-2015, 01:53 PM
My home team in England, Oxford - has a 3 sided stadium. BMO is going to be much the same, albeit bigger. Trust me, guys, a 3 sided stadium is not fun, even with a roof. You always lose a bunch of atmosphere without that fourth end. Plus we are staring at the Gardiner which isn't exactly beautiful!

The Oxford stadium, for reference and comparison:

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/67592000/jpg/_67592809_kassam.jpg

Hmm....I suppose in Oxford you stare at your car hoping somebody isn't kicking a ball onto the roof?:)

james
11-06-2015, 02:00 PM
Here is a new stadium in Ireland, Like a horse shoe stadium but they managed to build it so it has a closed in feeling. They do have a tiny stand at the one end. The big roof tho makes the stadium feel kind of complete even tho the one stand is no more then a few rows. Would of been good of BMO could of invested in something like that. But that's a pipe dream.

http://www.bluechiphospitality.com/wp-content/uploads/EasyRotatorStorage/user-content/erc_10_1345495153/content/assets/Ireland%20Rugby-0.jpg

http://euro-fluid.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Aviva-Stadium-1.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1224/5128202597_d844331284_b.jpg

Petor
11-06-2015, 02:03 PM
Here is a new stadium in Ireland, a 3 tier stadium but they managed to build it so it has a closed in feeling, Would of been good of BMO could of invested in something like that. But that's a pipe dream.

http://www.bluechiphospitality.com/wp-content/uploads/EasyRotatorStorage/user-content/erc_10_1345495153/content/assets/Ireland%20Rugby-0.jpg

That looks nice but they don't have the Argos.
If they did they would have to knock out one end.

james
11-06-2015, 02:21 PM
That looks nice but they don't have the Argos.
If they did they would have to knock out one end.

depends how many yards you need. You can adjust construction and drawings depending on the size of the field you need. They may just have needed to trim a few rows of seats on the big stand, doesn't mean you couldnt of built something similar to what they built, doesn't mean they still couldn't of had a horse show shaped stadium with a roof like that, the sizes would just had to be adjusted. Issue with BMO is the stadium was already built to fit a soccer field not a CFL field. The situation with the Ireland stadium is it is surrounded by houses, you have this stadium right in some people's backyard....only issue as far as surounding structures with BMO field is you have a road behind the North Stand (well North Stand now gone) maybe causing a bit of trouble. But who is to say you can not adjust that, its not exactly a main busy road, not to mention there was quite a lot of room even behind that North Stand before you reached the road. Who says they can not still construct some sort of stand even if it is 15 yards further back? or back to the original idea maybe a movable stand? I know it might never happen, but we have to remember this is not a forever done deal stadium as if construction goes.

BC Place is not my ideal stadium as its to big for MLS. The site lines are not perfect, but I have seen much worse, even in South America and Europe, the site lines at BC Place are not that bad. Now we are dealing with the same kind of size field here, I know there are some different issues at BMO field, but who says it can never be solved?

http://saraborck.com/_html/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/SB1_6176.jpg

C.Ronaldo
11-06-2015, 02:24 PM
Here is a new stadium in Ireland, Like a horse shoe stadium but they managed to build it so it has a closed in feeling. They do have a tiny stand at the one end. The big roof tho makes the stadium feel kind of complete even tho the one stand is no more then a few rows. Would of been good of BMO could of invested in something like that. But that's a pipe dream.

thats sooo prettyy!
look at those viewing angles

james
11-06-2015, 02:36 PM
A few MLS stadiums that also have some weird 3 stand stadiums and they are not bad. I think the difference however between these stadiums and BMO field is the stadiums are still closed in. With the wide open gaps under the roofs or a wide open North Stand is what I don't like about BMO field. If they could close in the gaps with something it would make a world of difference at BMO field.

Best part about San Jose new stadium might be that they actually have a Germany like safe standing terrace behind the net on the lower deck. It is small but it look pretty cool. Could always install something like that at BMO field??? Removable standing terrace?

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/7M9SBAz4NX0/maxresdefault.jpg

http://cache3.asset-cache.net/gc/467322170-detailed-view-of-avaya-stadium-prior-to-an-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=GkZZ8bf5zL1ZiijUmxa7QbPz%2FgWrj4m0vXu%2FK2v80mWj 6ph22z8WmOFrhceMc9cFUMdAcnjss2ApbE%2BQTRWh7w%3D%3D

Portland Stadium is weird, but anyone who has seem them on TV knows the atmosphere is electric and the stadium odd stands give it character. And behind the one net they have small stands now, with a massive building behind that. Its feels and looks closed in.
http://wvhooligan.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/jeld-wen-field.jpeg

Red CB Toronto
11-06-2015, 02:46 PM
I went the US Ireland match at Aviva last November and my seats were in the small end. They had to do this because of the houses across the street. The stadium is in a residential area. A very cool stadium to come upon when walking down the street, like a space ship coming down from the sky.

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/v/t1.0-9/10806478_10205366810869453_8606926566284007225_n.j pg?oh=83f1148ba4e592ea2030f985aab3edab&oe=56CAA499

james
11-06-2015, 03:55 PM
Well probably the most famous football stadium for weird horse shoe like shape stadiums with lack of space would have to be La Bombonera as many of us know. If you can some how make a stadium feel closed in, even if 1 stand is totally off balance to the other stands doesn't mean the stadium can't be kick ass. Just a matter of if MLSE ever invest or come up with something to make BMO fields North End feel more closed in then just a complete open stand.

La Bombonera legend of making the best with the space they got.

http://www.footballzz.com/img/estadios/002/8002_ori_alberto_j_armando_la_bombonera_.jpg

http://www.escapereality.info/destinations/images/large-1000000452.jpg

http://www.stadiumguide.com/wp-content/uploads/bombonera_front.jpg

Ultra & Proud
11-06-2015, 04:08 PM
I have no real problem with an open north end. I used to like it when it was like that. Always thought the north stand was just a cheap looking toss in on the stadium. Of course we'll have to see what it really looks like but it'll be full of junk booths selling crap and stuff so it won't look all barren or anything.

Ivy
11-06-2015, 06:27 PM
@inebriatti: The construction at @BMOField has begun. A few seats missing. #TFCLive #COYR @torontofc https://t.co/E5R0pZLdhT

I don't know how to post tweets, but there are 3 pictures attached to that tweet. This is so depressing.

Mateo1985
11-06-2015, 07:33 PM
Yeah I saw that. Like first 5 rows of all seats in the south end are gone. Nuts

OgtheDim
11-06-2015, 08:19 PM
Collapsible?

Pint
11-06-2015, 08:42 PM
Was only able to take 1 picture. Looks like the supports for the roof are done.

Blizzard
11-07-2015, 01:41 AM
thats sooo prettyy!
look at those viewing angles

Look at that rake on the first tier though. That's as bad as Skydome's 100 level. Be happy our lower level has a relatively steep rake.

Blizzard
11-07-2015, 01:43 AM
Yeah I saw that. Like first 5 rows of all seats in the south end are gone. Nuts

Don't worry about it. They'll be back. They'll probably bounce better now too.

james
11-07-2015, 01:43 AM
@inebriatti: The construction at @BMOField has begun. A few seats missing. #TFCLive #COYR @torontofc https://t.co/E5R0pZLdhT

I don't know how to post tweets, but there are 3 pictures attached to that tweet. This is so depressing.

that is weird, it may all be fine and stadium could be great still, the seats may just be replaced again might be nothing to worry about. But at the same time how do they expect us fans and supporters to feel when we are kept in the dark on whats going on at BMO field not knowing what is going on with the renovations, seeing pictures like this even including South End and not knowing what the final plan is come April??

Alixir
11-07-2015, 01:47 PM
We're gonna have a 3 sided stadium again? Why are we going backwards? lol.

Oh well.typical of MSLE 1 step forward 18 fucking steps back. Sorry for my belligerence but this seriously chaps my ass.

Alixir
11-07-2015, 01:52 PM
How often does rain fall straight down at BMO Field? Not often.
see the big wigs that make the $$ make decisions to continue to make $$ and not spend $$.
Its embarrassing to be honest that we are controlled by owners who are completely football (soccer) dumb. Its almost like they make decisions on a whim after thinking about it for a day or two.

Ivy
11-07-2015, 02:05 PM
see the big wigs that make the $$ make decisions to continue to make $$ and not spend $$.
Its embarrassing to be honest that we are controlled by owners who are completely football (soccer) dumb. Its almost like they make decisions on a whim after thinking about it for a day or two.
As much as I'm not happy about the Argos coming in, saying that the owners don't spend money is crazy... Unfortunately I feel like most of the time they throw money at their problems, rather than actually fix them.
The plus side, no body complained when BMO was first built without a north stand. Also, those 7 or so thousands SSH will be offered seats in other places in the stadium, so it'll appear fuller for those that are obsessed with how the stands look on TV.

gdg_9
11-07-2015, 02:06 PM
I think everyone is forgetting that BMO reno's were always talked about in 3 phases.
1st phase happened last year, 2nd phase was always a roof on 3 sides.
3rd phase was always talked about as optional phase IF the argos moved in.

Well, the Argos are moving in earlier than expected, so part of phase 3 needed to be moved up into phase 2, hence the demolition of the North stands.

I could still see the phase 3 happening where the North stands are rebuilt as retractable. They will still need that seating for all the other events they want to hold, like Winter Classic, etc.

jimiv
11-07-2015, 02:42 PM
... I could still see the phase 3 happening where the North stands are rebuilt as retractable. They will still need that seating for all the other events they want to hold, like Winter Classic, etc.

Hopefully the safe standing end being installed in Orlando will sway MLSE opinions and a retractable version will be built in BMOs North End.

Qman
11-07-2015, 03:47 PM
AFAIK, the roof on the west side will also be very high, and not closed at the back. That's because they're not changing or connecting anything. The new roof will float above the press boxes and above the existing mini-roof. How often does rain fall straight down at BMO Field? Not often.

Yeah, that sucks. At least have a rain/wind screen in the gap.

james
11-07-2015, 04:29 PM
Yeah, that sucks. At least have a rain/wind screen in the gap.

at minimum some sort of screen to cover the gap in the south end as well.

james
11-07-2015, 04:32 PM
I think everyone is forgetting that BMO reno's were always talked about in 3 phases.
1st phase happened last year, 2nd phase was always a roof on 3 sides.
3rd phase was always talked about as optional phase IF the argos moved in.

Well, the Argos are moving in earlier than expected, so part of phase 3 needed to be moved up into phase 2, hence the demolition of the North stands.

I could still see the phase 3 happening where the North stands are rebuilt as retractable. They will still need that seating for all the other events they want to hold, like Winter Classic, etc.

that is what I ment in an earlier post. Once this season starts and renos are done come spring that does nt mean more renovations or add on's, new stands exc can not continue the following winter or a few years from now. THe North Stand demolition is not the end of the world, they can still fix it further down the road. And we didn't have a North stand in the beginning, its not the first time we will not have a North Stand.

Biggest worry is the field, and what the hell are they doing in the South Stand with 5 tows of seats gone?

jazzy
11-07-2015, 08:41 PM

Haha so funny ......there's no place for common sense here . It's apparently coming from light grey's . Not only this year........

jazzy
11-07-2015, 08:44 PM
Hmm....I suppose in Oxford you stare at your car hoping somebody isn't kicking a ball onto the roof?:)

Why get out of it ?

Auzzy
11-07-2015, 11:39 PM
As much as I'm not happy about the Argos coming in, saying that the owners don't spend money is crazy... Unfortunately I feel like most of the time they throw money at their problems, rather than actually fix them.
The plus side, no body complained when BMO was first built without a north stand. Also, those 7 or so thousands SSH will be offered seats in other places in the stadium, so it'll appear fuller for those that are obsessed with how the stands look on TV.

I agree that MLSE & TFC usually don't have a problem spending crazy money. I think the problem here though is the Argos, owned by Tanenbaum & Bell, but not by Rogers or MLSE. The Argos are worth very little as we found out in the past few years. I always thought it was nuts, when the idea of a BMO Field reno for the Argos first came up, that the cost of just the renos for their benefit, seemed to be much higher than the total value of the franchise.

So when they really started planning the details of the Argo reno, they probably decided to go as cheap as possible on that part of the overall reno. More is just not worth it for the Argos. The attendance won't increase that much for them. I don't think you can charge crazy ticket prices for CFL either. Plus they only have a small number of home games per season. There is value for TSN/Bell as a broadcaster to keep the Argos alive, but for broadcast purposes they don't really care about stadium details.

So we end up with a cheap reno: no hybrid grass; cross your fingers the grass holds up; only minimally retractable south end; huge northward shift for Argos games; one plastic & one grass endzone; field length shorter than CFL standard; and probably a bunch of other corners cut.

RE people saying, perhaps they can replace the North Stand later: there will be very little space left in the north, due to the northward shift of the Argo's field. I don't think there is any room left for a permanent structure there. Things will be especially tight during the Ex., when the area in front of the Food Building is not available for BMO Field usage.

Qman
11-08-2015, 12:06 AM
Hopefully the safe standing end being installed in Orlando will sway MLSE opinions and a retractable version will be built in BMOs North End.

at least do one section at bmo.
My guess the ML$E concern would be all the railings block line of sign when converted to regular seats for other events.

PizzaEatingYeti
11-08-2015, 01:26 AM
What a joke of a stadium basically looks ugly to accommodate the Argos and the other events the stadium will hosts, so in the end because of it having to be an all purpose stadium you get this ugly looking stadium in the end. The North stands are gone, so Otis now an even more open stadium, the south end roof over the stands is a joke, how much will people be protected from the elements with that big space between the stands and the canopy, the sound will escape so the stadium will not sound more noisy exspecially with the north stands gone, but MLSE still is trying to sell this BMO renovation as a great thing when it's not. The stadium has not improved it has actually been made worse with the removal of the north stand, sorry but Saputo Stadium with all it's warts is way more intimate than this new BMO will be, MLSE really thinks we are all idiots.

I fully agree with all your views expressed here.
This is a huge slap in the face to all those who expected after so many years to have a covered stadium with real warm atmosphere and and least a good looking one.
Fuck you MLSE!

PizzaEatingYeti
11-08-2015, 01:32 AM
...No one in their right mind would ever show this stadium as an example of a soccer stadium .
This expresses the best my feelings about BMO field 2016.

troy1982
11-08-2015, 04:20 AM
I have no real problem with an open north end. I used to like it when it was like that. Always thought the north stand was just a cheap looking toss in on the stadium. Of course we'll have to see what it really looks like but it'll be full of junk booths selling crap and stuff so it won't look all barren or anything.

Here are the pics
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CTJ5TrXUsAEAt5Y.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CTJ5U5WUkAEuYS7.jpg

Hamilton_Red
11-08-2015, 09:27 AM
Yes - with the Argos moving in I can't see how the CSA will keep BMO as the national "soccer" stadium? It's a multi-purpose sports facility leaving Saputo as the only soccer specific stadium at a pro level. Are the Argos in next summer? Seems to me they could be doing a lot more quickly to avoid the 7 away game start next season.

nick.mastro
11-08-2015, 10:23 AM
we are actually going backwards with these argos coming in..taking out the North side.. this is ridiculous

Pint
11-08-2015, 10:38 AM
I don't believe safe standing was ever actually seriously considered during the construction, which sucks because it would have been an olive branch to us supporters who are not really getting anything out of the stadium expansion except for a bunch of blue bullshit shoved down our throats.

SoccMan2
11-08-2015, 01:44 PM
If you look at most of the CFL stadiums you see them built with two main grandstands and with two open end zones with no stands. They were built this way with the wide open end zones on purpose, even the new CFL stadiums in Hamilton and in Ottawa are built this way, the only new CFL stadium that is built without open end zones is the new Winnipeg stadium from what I can see. The reason these CFL stadiums are built with open end zones is so that they can put temporary stands in the end zones when the Grey Cup is played in these stadiums, where capacity of these stadiums can be increases by upwards of more than 10 000 temporary end zone seats, therefore, this is what is happening at BMO with the removal of the north stand and the type of canopy being installed over the south stands, that's why the CFL apart from maybe the new Winnipeg stadium and the new one being built in Regina and of course B.C. Place has some of the ugliest stadiums in the world and now you can put BMO Field in that mix.

ag futbol
11-08-2015, 02:26 PM
Someone remind me: does the roof go on in the phase or is that another project entirely? Forgive my cynicism but if it's not build into this plan I might suggest they will forget about it at a later date once all the commotion about the football team dies down.

OgtheDim
11-08-2015, 02:29 PM
Roof goes on with this phase. The supports were being worked on during the season past. There were hoardings at all 4 corners during October games.

Pint
11-08-2015, 03:25 PM
The support on the southwest corner appeared to be done when I was in stadium Friday night.

jazzy
11-08-2015, 11:24 PM
I don't believe safe standing was ever actually seriously considered during the construction, which sucks because it would have been an olive branch to us supporters who are not really getting anything out of the stadium expansion except for a bunch of blue bullshit shoved down our throats.

Really , this IS the main problem , not a single 'olive' branch . Everything is now take and accept . And by the way we're raising your prices . In a nutshell Toronto 's saving grace is its wonderful population making up its supporters . Every damn structure is a fooking compromise . ( to bring in a few more $$$ ) . Not one damn sports specific facility . Yet we are a paying / profit realizing market . As some have mentioned , we should be happy with this . Not bloody likely . Tired of accountants ruining this wonderful city . That stadium is outdated before it even gets started . And I might add , it is and will be added to continuously trying to cover up its vacumn environment . Another sky dome in the making . And watch when the Argos finally get dumped for their small crowds after the initial surge , we'll be left with what ? The old CNE emptiness with another coat . First class city second class designs , accepted by apologists .

Fort York Redcoat
11-09-2015, 10:29 AM
Here are the pics
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CTJ5TrXUsAEAt5Y.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CTJ5U5WUkAEuYS7.jpg

Here comes the bush league...

Pint
11-09-2015, 10:44 AM
Just noticed and its not like i care all that much but when the other thing plays at bmo how will people in 115 get to their seats? i guess they will have to walk to the upper part then down to their red seat?

Fort York Redcoat
11-09-2015, 10:53 AM
Just noticed and its not like i care all that much but when the other thing plays at bmo how will people in 115 get to their seats? i guess they will have to walk to the upper part then down to their red seat?

Maybe it will be tarped. Argos love tarping stadiums.

Pint
11-09-2015, 11:03 AM

I've thought about suggesting that, keep the southend away from the argos would be a nice show of respect to TFC supporters.

Alixir
11-09-2015, 01:34 PM
saying that the owners don't spend money is crazy....
I am not saying they don't spend money...its how they spend the money. My comment was about how the rain falls. In my opinion MLSE can spend millions on new players and "renovating the stadium", but then don't think about things like how the rain falls. Its one band-aid fix after another when it comes to this stadium.

OgtheDim
11-09-2015, 01:40 PM

Not a hope. Those are cheap seats. Argos have been able to sell endzone seats even in the Dome, where you are in another area code then the field. At BMO, those will be coveted.

james
11-09-2015, 02:58 PM
so with the first few rows of south end gone...are they replacing that with some sort of removable seats? are the seats going to to fold up for Argos games and replaced for TFC games? anyone have word on that?

Qman
11-09-2015, 03:06 PM

its probable that everyone will have to walk down from the concourse to get to your seat in southstands since its now only 15 rows .. maybe thats why they built it

Ivy
11-09-2015, 03:43 PM
I don't think the seats are gone permenantly. They'll probably end up being retractable. I have seats in row 1 and row 2, and was able to renew without any sort of notice.

Wagner
11-09-2015, 03:49 PM
I don't think the seats are gone permenantly. They'll probably end up being retractable. I have seats in row 1 and row 2, and was able to renew without any sort of notice.

If you renewed online, you may have had to click an "i accept construction may eff up my seats" button.

Also, apparently, there is wording in some other document related to your season tix in the clubs favour that they can move you because of something like construction.
I'd suggest calling your rep to get their take on this.

As for retractable front rows, i was certain that telescopic was coming. But others, paying more attention than I am, say that's off the table. (I believe Pint from KitN said that)

Wagner
11-09-2015, 03:51 PM
this is what the old Metrodome in Minnesota used to do when the twins played, they'd pull up these seats they used for the vikings.

http://www.realclearsports.com/blog/Metrodome%20baggie.jpg

Ivy
11-09-2015, 04:14 PM
If you renewed online, you may have had to click an "i accept construction may eff up my seats" button.

Also, apparently, there is wording in some other document related to your season tix in the clubs favour that they can move you because of something like construction.

As for retractable front rows, i was certain that telescopic was coming. But others, paying more attention than I am, say that's off the table. (I believe Pint from KitN said that)
I renewed by phone.
Leiweke said that the soccer experience won't change, but if I'm a supporter in row one, and now I have to move back 20 feet, thatll definately change my experience.

bones
11-09-2015, 04:18 PM
I renewed by phone.
Leiweke said that the soccer experience won't change, but if I'm a supporter in row one, and now I have to move back 20 feet, thatll definately change my experience.

And if you don't like the new experience and have paid a deposit and want that deposit back....guess what the answer is? Been there, done that.. ZIPPOLA! non-refundable.

Pint
11-09-2015, 04:22 PM
last i had heard (2+ months ago now) is that they are removable. They won't be randomly moving the front portion of 2 large SG's as well as basically all of the other 3 SG's without notice, i will give them that much credit.

Ivy
11-09-2015, 06:06 PM
And if you don't like the new experience and have paid a deposit and want that deposit back....guess what the answer is? Been there, done that.. ZIPPOLA! non-refundable.
I get that... What I mean is, for example, 112 is completely sold out. They remove the first 5 rows, so now the supporters have to leave the supporter section cuz there's no room? Seems crazy.

jazzy
11-09-2015, 06:35 PM
I am not saying they don't spend money...its how they spend the money. My comment was about how the rain falls. In my opinion MLSE can spend millions on new players and "renovating the stadium", but then don't think about things like how the rain falls. Its one band-aid fix after another when it comes to this stadium.

Toronto mgmt/cost effective school of design .

Fort York Redcoat
11-09-2015, 08:07 PM
Guys they asked us what we thought of retactable but the big man didn't like the idea (prolly money again) but the seats will be there. They will most likely be temp seats.

Hoooray.

bones
11-09-2015, 09:15 PM
I get that... What I mean is, for example, 112 is completely sold out. They remove the first 5 rows, so now the supporters have to leave the supporter section cuz there's no room? Seems crazy.

I don't have any idea specifically what they're doing, but I could easily see one of 2 "solutions" done.

1) put in retractable seats and a % of those affected will bitch
2) remove those seats and add the same number of rows at the back and "adjust" row numbers so that row 1 seats will still be in row 1. 99.9% of all people will be affected and will bitch.

both suck but to be honest, it feels like voting in Canada....you pick the least shit option.

Nuvinho
11-09-2015, 09:20 PM

I got moved this year from my seats due to them putting in pillars for the roof. They then proceeded to resell the seats I had re-naming seats 98 and 99 - so confusing and so frustrating how they treat STH.

james
11-09-2015, 11:49 PM
this is what the old Metrodome in Minnesota used to do when the twins played, they'd pull up these seats they used for the vikings.

http://www.realclearsports.com/blog/Metrodome%20baggie.jpg

looks like they had about 12 rows of seats folded up in this photo. This stadium Looks pretty bad in this picture, awful set-up. But in our case it would only be 5 rows, much smaller, and would actually only effect the Argos game, not TFC (if that's the route they are going with). Also easy to cover with tarp and advertising for the Argos. They can use it to make up for the adds they usually put on the field (Toronto said they will not use adds on the field at BMO field).

C.Ronaldo
11-10-2015, 10:15 AM
we have concessions behind those seats, not sure it would fit (to retract )

james
11-10-2015, 01:09 PM
Well with the North Stand gone, we could be expecting something more like San Jose Avaya Stadium. Are stadium is different, but 3 stand horse shoe shape, and maybe a bar or something in the North Stand like Avaya Stadium has is what we might end up with.

http://pogmogoal.com/wp-content/uploads/DSC_1294.jpg

http://stmedia.startribune.com/images/ows_142759015912765.jpg

http://league-mp7static.mlsdigital.net/mp6/IMG_1310.JPG

http://www.mobilesportsreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Screen-Shot-2015-03-11-at-3.47.27-PM.png

http://ww2.hdnux.com/photos/34/73/01/7581765/7/920x920.jpg

C.Ronaldo
11-10-2015, 02:30 PM
looks like there will be a nort american Pro Rugby league starting up

how long before MLSE throws on a team at BMO too.

pro rugby + argos at UofT makes even more sense now. I would love to catch a few game there

james
11-10-2015, 02:46 PM
Really , this IS the main problem , not a single 'olive' branch . Everything is now take and accept . And by the way we're raising your prices . In a nutshell Toronto 's saving grace is its wonderful population making up its supporters . Every damn structure is a fooking compromise . ( to bring in a few more $$$ ) . Not one damn sports specific facility . Yet we are a paying / profit realizing market . As some have mentioned , we should be happy with this . Not bloody likely . Tired of accountants ruining this wonderful city . That stadium is outdated before it even gets started . And I might add , it is and will be added to continuously trying to cover up its vacumn environment . Another sky dome in the making . And watch when the Argos finally get dumped for their small crowds after the initial surge , we'll be left with what ? The old CNE emptiness with another coat . First class city second class designs , accepted by apologists .

a bit exaggeration on that.

the Exhibition looked like this:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4068/4691478595_cd8b75d799.jpg

http://mopupduty.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/exhibition-stadium.jpg

BMO field went from this
http://nukesoccer.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/bmofield-homeopenerpregame.jpg

to this

http://storage.ottawasun.com/v1/dynamic_resize/sws_path/suns-prod-images/1297697371375_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&size=650x

to maybe something like this minus the North Stand:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/polopoly_fs/1.2321505.1428694406!/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_960/image.jpg

the stadium could of been better. Would of been good if we had a full North Stand and it could of been ours only, would of been great, and great for our Nation Soccer games as well. But lets be honest the stadium wouldn't of been renovated probably had they not planned for Argos, Grey Cups and NHL winter classics. BMO field was flimsy as hell before and looked more like a high school stadium, now there has been huge development under neath the stands. I am really worried about the grass, and confused what the hell is going on with the south stand. But if the grass holds up ( if it doesn't then that is a whole new story) and the other 3 stands stay how they are and the South Stand replaces those seats, plus a roof, overall the stadium will be good. And I would say better then playing in Vancouver, New York City, Seattle, New England or DC united (stadiums to big for MLS as all these stadiums can fit 50,000 or more, and New England is the worst of the worst in MLS with grid iron marks on the field every year come fall and empty seats everywhere, followed by New York City and the weird baseball shape) and better then playing in Columbus, Chicago, Philadelphia, Colorado or FC Dallas as those stadiums are pretty open, just a little bit better then we had in 2007, and they seem to be all built in the suburbs. BMO renovations will look better then those stadiums. I would of liked a stadium like NYRB or Houston Dynamo Stadium but hey it didn't happen.

Areathrasher
11-10-2015, 02:47 PM

pro rugby + argos at UofT makes even more sense now. I would love to catch a few game there

Canadian teams will be joining the league in 2017. I'd say a team in Toronto is a cert but not sure it'll be at BMO, probably too expensive to run a new team out of there.

More interesting is that the league will be single entity stlye and Canadians on American teams will be classed as domestic, shocker :lol:

OgtheDim
11-10-2015, 02:56 PM
So, are there crews down there?

RealG-TFC
11-10-2015, 02:58 PM
U of T? No space, Goldring centre now exists.

Red CB Toronto
11-10-2015, 02:58 PM

MLS sized stadiums would make the most sense coming out of the gate for Pro Rugby. Will be ineresting to see how progresses.

http://www.planetrugby.com/news/usa-unveils-pro-rugby-league/

nfitz
11-10-2015, 04:24 PM
looks like there will be a nort american Pro Rugby league starting upHadn't heard about this. The national Rugby League team plays in Lamport Stadium, so don't see why a professional team couldn't play there. It's Rugby Union that's been playing at BMO.

andyc
11-10-2015, 04:50 PM
Hadn't heard about this. The national Rugby League team plays in Lamport Stadium, so don't see why a professional team couldn't play there. It's Rugby Union that's been playing at BMO.

It's Union not league... It's a league for Rugby Union teams.... 8-)

nfitz
11-10-2015, 05:00 PM
It's Union not league... It's a league for Rugby Union teams.... 8-)Oh, just read that. USA Rugby and Rugby Canada. Could be interesting! And with the April to July season would fit in nicely before much of the Argos season, and during the traditional June/July downtime for MLS during the internationals and Gold Cup.

Better not tell my wife though ...

C.Ronaldo
11-12-2015, 11:45 AM
Union is the one the Aussies play?

throw in NFL and CFL, and the world really shuold have cooperated better on a the sport

Fort York Redcoat
11-12-2015, 12:28 PM

throw in NFL and CFL, and the world really shuold have cooperated better on a the sport

Well our game is part of that. It all comes from Football. Rugby is the only one still with the identifiable origin in the name.

GabrielHurl
11-12-2015, 01:10 PM

The Aussies play both league and union

Blizzard
11-12-2015, 02:16 PM

When New Zealand lets them!

C.Ronaldo
11-12-2015, 02:45 PM
great , i thought i was confused before

is aussie AFL either of those?

nfitz
11-12-2015, 03:30 PM

is aussie AFL either of those?Nope. That's different.

Union is the one where the national team plays at BMO and advertises in newspapers. League is the one that's played at Lamport, and they advertise on hydro poles.

james
11-12-2015, 03:56 PM
Canadian/American football originated from Rugby, football is the much slower version with more tactical thinking. Football is boring as hell if you ask me tho, any football fan who says soccer is slow is crazy. They did a study a couple years back on 4 NFL playoff games, the average amount of time where the ball was actually in play between the 4 games was something like 11 or 12 minutes of actual play in almost 4 hours the average time the game lasted. WOWWWW how do you watch that shit? soccer may average scores like 0-0, 1-0, 1-1, 2-1, 2-0, 2-2 but dam the game plays in constant motion and is over in 2 hours.

C.Ronaldo
11-12-2015, 04:00 PM
Nope. That's different.

Union is the one where the national team plays at BMO and advertises in newspapers. League is the one that's played at Lamport, and they advertise on hydro poles.

LOL newspapers vs hydrop polls, thats the great divide

C.Ronaldo
11-12-2015, 04:04 PM
Canadian/American football originated from Rugby, football is the much slower version with more tactical thinking. Football is boring as hell if you ask me tho, any football fan who says soccer is slow is crazy. They did a study a couple years back on 4 NFL playoff games, the average amount of time where the ball was actually in play between the 4 games was something like 11 or 12 minutes of actual play in almost 4 hours the average time the game lasted. WOWWWW how do you watch that shit? soccer may average scores like 0-0, 1-0, 1-1, 2-1, 2-0, 2-2 but dam the game plays in constant motion and is over in 2 hours.

agreed, i dont even know all the rules to rugby, but enjoy much more than nfl/cfl despite understanding and growing up with those.

I dont hate it, its just my least favourite.

Soccer, baseball/ hockey, basketball, rubgy/lacrosse, tennis, football, curling, watching grass grow, golf. In that order

Soccer Mum
11-12-2015, 04:23 PM
My favourites:

1) Soccer
2) Basketball
3) Hockey
4) Tennis
5) Rugby
6) Cricket
7) Lacrosse
8) Curling
9) Golf
10) Baseball

Blizzard
11-12-2015, 04:47 PM

is aussie AFL either of those?

AFL is Australian Rules Football. A totally different animal played on cricket ovals. It's 100% unique.

Qman
11-12-2015, 08:07 PM
AFL is aussie rules football. Oval field. Kicking and punching ball to pass.

NRL is league rugby. quick foot taps to start play, have to be 10 yards back.

Union is tradiitional rugby. scrums, rucks, etc

Eastend
11-12-2015, 09:13 PM
So anyway......any new pics of the BMO Field construction?

Ivy
11-13-2015, 12:36 AM
Pics and construction talk. No Argos stuff please.
I should have mentioned no AFL/ NFL, rugby talk either, please.

FRANKIE65
11-13-2015, 08:16 AM

Nothing that involves a "pointy ball" :)

Fort York Redcoat
11-13-2015, 08:59 AM
So anyway......any new pics of the BMO Field construction?

Lol I remember this thread now...

Why not just ask the same 3 to 4 people that took pics last time if they'll do it again?

http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?37157-Pics-of-BMO-Field-Construction&highlight=bmo+construction

Pint
11-13-2015, 09:05 AM
I have a picture of the support structure for the roof... its on my phone and i have no idea how to post it from my phone.

C.Ronaldo
11-13-2015, 09:45 AM
just follow this link for city development, the linke covers specifically bmo field

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1704677&page=16

now back to rugby j/k

C.Ronaldo
11-13-2015, 09:49 AM
http://i.imgur.com/I6Gc3bv.png

Ivy
11-13-2015, 02:55 PM
I have a picture of the support structure for the roof... its on my phone and i have no idea how to post it from my phone.

Tweet them.

Auzzy
11-13-2015, 04:03 PM
just follow this link for city development, the linke covers specifically bmo field

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1704677&page=16

now back to rugby j/k

I would advise most people not to visit that link unless you like pain. Mostly TFC & Argos fans pissing at each other, with plenty of incorrect info as well. Little useful info about the stadium or construction. Maybe we can get some more info in this thread.

Richard
11-13-2015, 04:03 PM
Can we get our roller blade champ down there to take some exculsive pics? :)

Qman
11-13-2015, 04:09 PM
Can we get our roller blade champ down there to take some exculsive pics? :)

or a poster with a drone

Ivy
11-13-2015, 04:41 PM
I would advise most people not to visit that link unless you like pain. Mostly TFC & Argos fans pissing at each other, with plenty of incorrect info as well. Little useful info about the stadium or construction. Maybe we can get some more info in this thread.
I wish I read this before clicking the link.

BelfastBoy
11-13-2015, 11:50 PM

Sort of a preview for next year then.

OgtheDim
11-14-2015, 12:10 AM
Sort of a preview for next year then.

Nah...most Argo fans and TFC supporters don't really care as long as the field share doesn't affect the games.

The internet feuding stuff is a small minority of fans/supporters.

jloome
11-14-2015, 02:21 PM
Nah...most Argo fans and TFC supporters don't really care as long as the field share doesn't affect the games.

And you reached this conclusion how, exactly?

Soccer Mum
11-14-2015, 02:54 PM
They are going to share our stadium, nothing we can do about it.

I say we show them hospitality and welcome them for now.

Ivy
11-14-2015, 04:04 PM

http://libertycitys.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/obama-hell-no.jpg

FRANKIE65
11-14-2015, 09:58 PM
http://libertycitys.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/obama-hell-no.jpg

Totally agree. Screw the blue! Let them play on a high school field where they belong.

james
11-15-2015, 01:19 AM

I agree with that. I am just really worried about the natural grass getting to torn up from Argos playing and the chance that some Grid Iron Lines may still be somewhat visible on Natural grass when TFC play ( even if it happens for just one game, I never want to see grid iron lines, EVER), now If that is never an issue I am not to worried otherwise.

Blizzard
11-15-2015, 02:40 AM
I agree with that. I am just really worried about the natural grass getting to torn up from Argos playing and the chance that some Grid Iron Lines may still be somewhat visible on Natural grass when TFC play ( even if it happens for just one game, I never want to see grid iron lines, EVER), now If that is never an issue I am not to worried otherwise.

I'm in line with this too. The field is the most important thing. Losing the north stand is damned sad but is inevitable. Very little will change in the rest of the facility. The key thing is the integrity of the playing surface both in terms of its quality for soccer and its appearance.

I don't want them here. Very few TFC fans want the Argos here. We're screwed and we know it so all we can do is hope that the MLSE crew keep their word and do things the way they've promised they would.

Who knows. We'll know in June I guess.

One thing for sure. I won't be welcoming them and won't be putting any money into their current accounts.

OgtheDim
11-15-2015, 09:59 AM
Actual construction news.

Just went by on the way to cheer on the Ticats in Hamilton today.

Roof support on the North East corner is going up.

North stand not torn down yet.

Ivy
11-16-2015, 05:32 PM
http://twitter.com/Kam_Ivan/status/666361595946213376/photo/1

http://twitter.com/Kam_Ivan/status/666361476194635777/photo/1

akoto
11-16-2015, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the pics!

CBTFC
11-16-2015, 11:07 PM
http://twitter.com/Kam_Ivan/status/666361595946213376/photo/1

http://twitter.com/Kam_Ivan/status/666361476194635777/photo/1

Cue guys whining and complaining that their view of the stands while driving on the lakeshore will be ruined! damn that roof!

prizby
11-17-2015, 06:33 AM
Cue guys whining and complaining that their view of the stands while driving on the lakeshore will be ruined! damn that roof!

no roof on the north side, still should be able to see the stands

mistercorporate
11-17-2015, 08:26 PM

Ummm....PointyBallMum...how about...no.

Soccer Mum
11-18-2015, 01:32 PM
Ummm....PointyBallMum...how about...no.

What do you guys suggest? We should fight them?

Blizzard
11-18-2015, 02:12 PM

Hah! Some might wish to do so.

I am just choosing to ignore them.

They are dead to me! This isn't an easy thing to do as I've been an Argonauts supporter all my
life but that phase of my life has ended.

B

Petor
11-18-2015, 02:55 PM

They are dead to me! This isn't an easy thing to do as I've been an Argonauts supporter all my

B

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Fort York Redcoat
11-18-2015, 03:11 PM

Are those the only two options?

(anybody have new pics?)

OgtheDim
11-18-2015, 08:33 PM
I thought this thread was not going to be about the Argos?

jazzy
11-18-2015, 09:08 PM

B
Yup..... Disgusted big time . I'll never go to any CFL game ever again and I've seen a lot in their history . We'll either become mediocre with them or (God help us ). , become a niche market with only dedicated supporters . This city however pissed on continuously by main sports owners would support BIG TIME Any all out successful team ..... But they don't except small time financial compromise . I want TFC to fly but .........at what price . I need to feel a part of the process . That ain't happening .

Cashcleaner
11-18-2015, 09:50 PM

B

Same with me. I used to be a big-time Argo fan way back in the day. And you know, I'm not actually angry at the CFL or the Argonauts organization for any of this. Why would I be? Both parties simply want a place in which to play at the best price possible. That's Business 101.

My issue has always been with the city and MLSE who had the final say and are the ones who stand to make the most monetary gains as a result of the deal.

Qman
11-18-2015, 10:12 PM
any more pictures
... don't we have a specific thread on the argos already

Fort York Redcoat
11-19-2015, 08:36 AM
I thought this thread was not going to be about the Argos?

any more pictures
... don't we have a specific thread on the argos already

So... no new pics?g:D

Mateo1985
11-19-2015, 09:00 AM
I just passed by the stadium and there is a lot of work going on right now. We should end up with an awesome stadium once everything is said and done. Just like everyone I wish we could keep the north end but the stadium should be great regardless

Pint
11-19-2015, 09:14 AM
Doesn't look like the roof will take all offseason, it appears to be going in pretty quickly with most of the prework already completed.

I would have the guess the north stand as well as modifications in the south be the time consuming parts as well as any upgrades that are needed in non visible areas.

Huyton
11-19-2015, 11:12 AM
I want a webcam, dammit.

BelfastBoy
11-19-2015, 11:22 AM
Same with me. I used to be a big-time Argo fan way back in the day. And you know, I'm not actually angry at the CFL or the Argonauts organization for any of this. Why would I be? Both parties simply want a place in which to play at the best price possible. That's Business 101.

My issue has always been with the city and MLSE who had the final say and are the ones who stand to make the most monetary gains as a result of the deal.

Same here. Prior to TFC I supported the Argos because it was the Canadian 'football' league.

I just think this arrangement could have worked out better - not compromising the pitch for TFC and for the Argos they are playing in a place where they can't really celebrate their history (in a red stadium).

Sorry, back on topic..

nfitz
11-19-2015, 11:50 AM
I would advise most people not to visit that link unless you like pain. Mostly TFC & Argos fans pissing at each other, with plenty of incorrect info as well. Little useful info about the stadium or construction.So much like this thread - but less one-sided ...

Mateo1985
11-19-2015, 12:05 PM
I want a webcam, dammit.
That is actually a great idea

Joe Kool
11-19-2015, 01:08 PM

They did that years ago when changing from artificial turf to grass which was a big deal back then. Was kind of cool to look at BMO Field at whatever hour we felt like to see the progress. This would be more exciting that looking at them leveling the dirt and rolling out the grass though. More reason to do it now. They could put some advertising on that page and make some more money even.

Fort York Redcoat
11-19-2015, 01:58 PM
I want a webcam, dammit.

They did that years ago when changing from artificial turf to grass which was a big deal back then. Was kind of cool to look at BMO Field at whatever hour we felt like to see the progress. This would be more exciting that looking at them leveling the dirt and rolling out the grass though. More reason to do it now. They could put some advertising on that page and make some more money even.

I'm going to assume that no one want to watch them take out their season seats while they level the north and the first rows of the south. IT's not a pretty sight.

Fort York Redcoat
11-19-2015, 02:02 PM
So much like this thread - but less one-sided ...

http://i.imgur.com/l5Hyz9d.jpg

The ironing.

SuperTCP
11-19-2015, 05:15 PM
I'm going to assume that no one want to watch them take out their season seats while they level the north and the first rows of the south. IT's not a pretty sight.

...and watching them paint the grid iron on to the pitch would be horrible.

Auzzy
11-19-2015, 10:41 PM
So much like this thread - but less one-sided ...

Perhaps less one-sided. But with more outright misinformation. Actually I think you mean the "other" thread on the RPBF -- this one's only about construction & pictures, right?

Ivy
11-20-2015, 02:45 AM
I'm going to ban the next person that says "Argos" in this thread. Ban you for so long you'd wish I never banned you for so long.

Fort York Redcoat
11-20-2015, 08:34 AM
I'm going to ban the next person that says "Argos" in this thread. Ban you for so long you'd wish I never banned you for so long.

You realize you're breaking all the rules you're setting in the thread, right?

Do you want me to edit? Merge with the last thread exactly like this one? I mean, you didn't even title this one "Pics only"...

Ivy
11-20-2015, 02:21 PM
You realize you're breaking all the rules you're setting in the thread, right?

Do you want me to edit? Merge with the last thread exactly like this one? I mean, you didn't even title this one "Pics only"...
http://gifatron.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/4PcBWdx.gif

Detroit_TFC
11-20-2015, 08:22 PM
ROFL - I make that face like 3 times a day reading Twitter.

Doucet3
11-21-2015, 03:14 AM
http://i.imgur.com/I6Gc3bv.png

So I see the blue line is BMO property like I'm assuming.... Well what if the do what they do at the south end at the north end ??... Wouldn't that work well?

troy1982
11-21-2015, 03:36 AM
So I see the blue line is BMO property like I'm assuming.... Well what if the do what they do at the south end at the north end ??... Wouldn't that work well?

That would mean spending more money and with the additional cost of the Argos locker rooms and tearing down the North end there is no more money it seems and MLSE is doing this phase as cheaply as possible since the ARGO DIDN'T PUT ANY MONEY INTO IT.

Wagner
11-21-2015, 10:30 AM
I haven't seen anyone talk about modifying the CFL endzones.

i guess it is a concession they have to make to be shoe-horned into the National Soccer Stadium.

Petor
11-21-2015, 02:29 PM
I haven't seen anyone talk about modifying the CFL endzones.

i guess it is a concession they have to make to be shoe-horned into the National Soccer Stadium.

I doubt that that name will ever be applied to BMO Field any more.

With the new training facilities built in Montreal Saputo stadium might be where our National teams play.

Qman
11-21-2015, 03:54 PM
I doubt that that name will ever be applied to BMO Field any more.

With the new training facilities built in Montreal Saputo stadium might be where our National teams play.

Based on the quotes out of Vancouver from floro & CSA last week and the very small crowds they were getting here, don't think there is much chance in the near term of getting games coming back here. Unless crowds start to drop off there too.

redcard
11-21-2015, 04:15 PM
so does anyone know what will happen to the team dug outs? I know they were built to improve the view for those siting in the first few rows behind them. But i would assume it would be a hazard for pointy ball games.

james
11-21-2015, 11:05 PM
Based on the quotes out of Vancouver from floro & CSA last week and the very small crowds they were getting here, don't think there is much chance in the near term of getting games coming back here. Unless crowds start to drop off there too.

we had some games with 20k in Toronto but we also had some games with as low as 10k. Overall tho, I don't see Montreal or Vancouver doing any better if they were to host all the Canada games. For them to fill the stadiums at about 20k a game you have to really play some games in Montreal, some in Vancouver and some in Toronto. If a city starts to host to many International games its hard to keep the demand high, it is hard to sell 20k tickets when you have small countries like El Salvador, Nicaragua or say Belize. countries like this don't have big following or appeal to the average fan. Montreal hosted a game I think like back in 2009 or something like that vs Honduras, and there was more Honduras fans then there was Canada fans. To be honest Montreal has not shown great records either attracting fans, in fact i think Toronto has done better. Vancouver played there first game in like 10 years at BC Place recently, and the crowd was still only around 20k. I think that to would drop off if they host to many games.
You need to sort of play across the country, keeps attendance higher I believe. You play 1 game in the summer at Toronto and you might get a decent crowd attend, now you play 3 Canada games in July and there might be lower attendance, you can't expect everyone to attend all 3 games.

Blizzard
11-22-2015, 01:06 AM

Because it is simply not necessary. All they need to do is add six yards to make it a legitimate CFL feed. If they proceed with a retractable lower south stand, they'll have done all that needs to be done.

Blizzard
11-22-2015, 01:11 AM
we had some games with 20k in Toronto but we also had some games with as low as 10k. Overall tho, I don't see Montreal or Vancouver doing any better if they were to host all the Canada games. For them to fill the stadiums at about 20k a game you have to really play some games in Montreal, some in Vancouver and some in Toronto. If a city starts to host to many International games its hard to keep the demand high, it is hard to sell 20k tickets when you have small countries like El Salvador, Nicaragua or say Belize. countries like this don't have big following or appeal to the average fan. Montreal hosted a game I think like back in 2009 or something like that vs Honduras, and there was more Honduras fans then there was Canada fans. To be honest Montreal has not shown great records either attracting fans, in fact i think Toronto has done better. Vancouver played there first game in like 10 years at BC Place recently, and the crowd was still only around 20k. I think that to would drop off if they host to many games.
You need to sort of play across the country, keeps attendance higher I believe. You play 1 game in the summer at Toronto and you might get a decent crowd attend, now you play 3 Canada games in July and there might be lower attendance, you can't expect everyone to attend all 3 games.

Absolutely. There have been too many games here and we've been tapped out financially. Add to that the total lack of cache to Belize or St. Vincent.

This is not to denigrate Vancouver who did a fantastic job but it's been a long, long time since they've had a MNT match so they were understandably hyped!

What I'm curious about is whether or not the players will want to play all of their games on plastic or does the attraction of a natural grass pitch win out?

Agreed, Montreal is not a good choice for ore than the occasional MNT match.

Qman
11-22-2015, 01:50 PM
Absolutely. There have been too many games here and we've been tapped out financially. Add to that the total lack of cache to Belize or St. Vincent.

This is not to denigrate Vancouver who did a fantastic job but it's been a long, long time since they've had a MNT match so they were understandably hyped!

What I'm curious about is whether or not the players will want to play all of their games on plastic or does the attraction of a natural grass pitch win out?

Agreed, Montreal is not a good choice for ore than the occasional MNT match.

Feedback after the game was the stadium in Vancouver provides a competitive advantage:
1) they can open the roof and still have the cold come in which affects latin american clubs
2) the cdn players get a comfort level with the surface, where its totally new for visiting clubs
3) atmosphere is way better the way the sound echos off the roof even with 20k

time will tell if they can get 20k out for other clubs, but i think it will be a while before games come back here

Eastend
11-22-2015, 07:06 PM
^^Speaking of how the sound echos off the roof. Anyone with updates on our roof? Driving by earlier this week the support structure was pretty impressive.

Dom

Fort York Redcoat
11-23-2015, 09:01 AM

If they drop off it will be far worse than it was here. They'd have no excuse in this late a round in qualifying.

Even if there was a place, a fantastical place, in Canada that soldout over 20k be it friendly or first round qualifier, it would still have to keep proving itself game after game. It was a lovely dream to have the intention of a place so close to call "The National Stadium" but in such a large country with such scattered pop density I doubt we'll see a permanent home for this team.

I'm glad Vancouver came out the way they did. Mexico should be even bigger.

(Any pics anyone?) g:D

Pint
11-23-2015, 09:08 AM
If they drop off it will be far worse than it was here. They'd have no excuse in this late a round in qualifying.

Even if there was a place, a fantastical place, in Canada that soldout over 20k be it friendly or first round qualifier, it would still have to keep proving itself game after game. It was a lovely dream to have the intention of a place so close to call "The National Stadium" but in such a large country with such scattered pop density I doubt we'll see a permanent home for this team.

I'm glad Vancouver came out the way they did. Mexico should be even bigger.

(Any pics anyone?) g:D

Yep, Not to get into the national team discussion but i don't really see anywhere in this country where a game vs Belize will draw much more than the 10-15000 we had here.

Vancouver did a very good job but it was also the 1st mens game they had in a long time so everyone traveled from the region, would that happen if they had 3 or 4 games in a year?

I fully expect the game next September against El Salvador to be back in Toronto and hopefully qualification for the Hex will be on the line (or locked up) and the building will be packed.

For now i just have to take some TFC money and put it aside for traveling to Vancouver in march.

Mateo1985
11-26-2015, 04:08 PM
There are 5 or 6 "poles" or what ever you call it that are now installed in between the east stands and the pitch. Anyone knows what they are? Temporary ones right?

Flint
11-26-2015, 04:25 PM
There are 5 or 6 "poles" or what ever you call it that are now installed in between the east stands and the pitch. Anyone knows what they are? Temporary ones right?

Temporary shoring to support the roof load until the load is transferred and fixed to the permanent supports.

GabrielHurl
11-26-2015, 04:35 PM
Ugh

https://twitter.com/VLKE/status/669987015362932736

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CUxFpALU8AAXc1X.jpg

gdg_9
11-26-2015, 04:36 PM
EDIT: Beat me to it... ^

There are pics floating around twitter right now of where the first few rows of the South End USED TO BE... it is now a giant trench in the ground.

Anyone know anything about this?

It's frustrating that MLSE is keeping SSH's in the dark about this.

Mateo1985
11-26-2015, 04:41 PM
Temporary shoring to support the roof load until the load is transferred and fixed to the permanent supports.
Yeah thought so. Thanks

Brooker
11-26-2015, 04:46 PM
Quick progress.

Petor
11-26-2015, 04:58 PM
EDIT: Beat me to it... ^

There are pics floating around twitter right now of where the first few rows of the South End USED TO BE... it is now a giant trench in the ground.

Anyone know anything about this?

It's frustrating that MLSE is keeping SSH's in the dark about this.

Looking at the construction, how is this going to be retractable seating?
I had tickets in row three and I wondered why they didn't push me to renew, now I see why.

Qman
11-26-2015, 05:49 PM
Looking at the construction, how is this going to be retractable seating?
I had tickets in row three and I wondered why they didn't push me to renew, now I see why.

only looks like a few rows ... they will probably replace your seats with footy equivalent of floor seats. And charge 5x as much.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-26-2015, 05:54 PM
Gonna wait to see what its like once its finished before i start getting too excited.

Petor
11-26-2015, 05:57 PM
Gonna wait to see what its like once its finished before i start getting too excited.

Me too but under the remaining seats are there not washrooms and storage areas?
How are they going to slide those seats underneath the remaining ones?

GabrielHurl
11-26-2015, 06:27 PM
*double post*

GabrielHurl
11-26-2015, 06:28 PM
They don't have to - they can use retractable seats like they have at the ACC that fold up and are rolled away into storage
http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00vMZTjiqrkmpK/Manual-Operative-Retractable-Seating-System-Telescopic-Gym-Seating-for-Stadium.jpg

You can see them here in this video

http://torontoist.com/2011/04/up_all_night_from_ice_to_courts_at_the_air_canada_ centre/

Ivy
11-26-2015, 06:31 PM
They'll just use those actual seats! ^^
Blue and all...

Petor
11-26-2015, 06:33 PM
They don't have to - they can use retractable seats like they have at the ACC that fold up and are rolled away into storage
http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00vMZTjiqrkmpK/Manual-Operative-Retractable-Seating-System-Telescopic-Gym-Seating-for-Stadium.jpg

You can see them here in this video

http://torontoist.com/2011/04/up_all_night_from_ice_to_courts_at_the_air_canada_ centre/

I guess they will do the same with the capo stands?

Blizzard
11-26-2015, 06:41 PM
Feedback after the game was the stadium in Vancouver provides a competitive advantage:
1) they can open the roof and still have the cold come in which affects latin american clubs
2) the cdn players get a comfort level with the surface, where its totally new for visiting clubs
3) atmosphere is way better the way the sound echos off the roof even with 20k

time will tell if they can get 20k out for other clubs, but i think it will be a while before games come back here

If we make it to the Hex with five games to be played, that's when we'd see something back here at BMO. It'd be nice if we could get El Salvador but I'm not sure of the timelines.

jimiv
11-26-2015, 06:53 PM
They'll just use those actual seats! ^^
Blue and all...

Yikes, I read that wrong and got really sad.

Wouldn't retractable seats give a better bounce when jumping up and down, they certainly will be louder then concrete.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-26-2015, 07:01 PM
Me too but under the remaining seats are there not washrooms and storage areas?
How are they going to slide those seats underneath the remaining ones?

No clue, looks like that pic is in my area 117, think theres a ladies bathroom and thats it under our area

Blizzard
11-26-2015, 07:39 PM
No clue, looks like that pic is in my area 117, think theres a ladies bathroom and thats it under our area

They'd only have to retrofit those first few rows to give them the space that they might need. There was never any plan to rebuild the entire south end, just the few rows at the front.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-26-2015, 08:14 PM
They'd only have to retrofit those first few rows to give them the space that they might need. There was never any plan to rebuild the entire south end, just the few rows at the front.

yeah, im in the fourth row so we will prob be in there.

Eastend
11-29-2015, 12:07 PM
Apperently 1 of the roof sections is up. If someone passes by can you take a pic and post it?

Dom

mowe
11-29-2015, 01:12 PM
https://twitter.com/jdriscoll2/status/670721155439849472

Ivy
11-29-2015, 01:43 PM
Lol #Argos #GreyCup #thisisourhouse.
Is it normal to feel blood pressure rising?

Areathrasher
11-30-2015, 01:16 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CVATUupWsAEfq2T.jpg

From TFC twitter

Pint
11-30-2015, 03:51 PM
Looks like the manager of premium seating is saying that south end will be retractable again. Idk if he is out of the loop (doesn't really need to know about south end stuff) or if plans have changed back again.

Even though i was told first hand by someone much more sr than this person the stands would be removable, i always wondered how they would get them out of the stadium.

Detroit_TFC
11-30-2015, 04:02 PM
Just a dumb thought: doesn't the concave shape of that roof seem problematic for snow accumulation? I wonder if will have heating elements to get the snowpack off.

jabbronies
11-30-2015, 04:24 PM

CMNT should stop worrying about how many people come to the games and start worrying about being ranked 102 in the world behind powerhouses like Faroe Islands, Antigua, Gabon and Mali - all of whom I'm sure play in shittier and less packed stadiums than BMO Field.

gmacpheetfc
11-30-2015, 04:55 PM
CMNT should stop worrying about how many people come to the games and start worrying about being ranked 102 in the world behind powerhouses like Faroe Islands, Antigua, Gabon and Mali - all of whom I'm sure play in shittier and less packed stadiums than BMO Field.

Chicken meet egg.

They're projected to move to 88th as of December.

Mateo1985
11-30-2015, 05:35 PM
There is a huge gap in between where the roof meets the top of the east stands. The sounds will be escaping through unless there is like a wall behind the last row of seats that will go directly to the roof. Rain will also be pouring on everyone in the last rows. I wonder if they will leave it like that

Ivy
11-30-2015, 05:50 PM
There is a huge gap in between where the roof meets the top of the east stands. The sounds will be escaping through unless there is like a wall behind the last row of seats that will go directly to the roof. Rain will also be pouring on everyone in the last rows. I wonder if they will leave it like that
That gap isn't huge... Did you see the gap in the south??

Mateo1985
11-30-2015, 06:42 PM

They got something above the south already? Anyone got a pic?

Ivy
11-30-2015, 06:50 PM
Just the rendering.

Pint
11-30-2015, 06:59 PM

Shhhh don't mention that with larson potentially around lol

OgtheDim
11-30-2015, 10:01 PM
Hmmm. Girders. Was that in the renderings?

Oh, just temporary.

Auzzy
11-30-2015, 10:16 PM

Yes the gap will be huge over the south end; also very large in the west end (as the new roof goes above the old mini-roof); and not too bad over the east end.

Ivy
12-01-2015, 12:33 AM
Yes the gap will be huge over the south end; also very large in the west end (as the new roof goes above the old mini-roof); and not too bad over the east end.
Where did you see that the roof will go over the current roof? That seems crazy.

Eastend
12-01-2015, 05:58 AM
Ivy,

Not sure how to post the image but here's a link:
http://www.blogto.com/upload/2014/11/20141125-bmofield.jpg

http://www.blogto.com/upload/2014/11/20141125-bmofield.jpg

OgtheDim
12-01-2015, 07:17 AM
Hmm....most of the storms come from in Toronto is out of the west. That big hole on the top of the West side will do nothing for storms like the one where they didn't let us in at first.

Eastend
12-01-2015, 07:20 AM
In that image, it appears that the east side will be closed off.

SoccMan2
12-01-2015, 07:36 AM
What a joke of a roof over the south and even the west stands, if your going to put in a roof over the stands why not do it properly why the fucken huge gap, either do it right or don't do it at all what's the purpose, who comes up with doing it that way bunch of fucken morons!

jimiv
12-01-2015, 08:00 AM
Ridiculously high roofs with big gaps seems to be an MLS thing, Colorado, Chicago, LA, Philadelphia all have the same thing. It appears that the design is more sun screen related then precipitation protection. I do notice that most of them fill in the gaps with ad banners however.

TheGoodson
12-01-2015, 08:25 AM
the purpose of the high roof has nothing to do with TFC...

As discussed many times over this was done so that BMO can be expanded with temporary seating for the Grey Cup (which no one watches) and the winter classic

Areathrasher
12-01-2015, 08:33 AM
Ridiculously high roofs with big gaps seems to be an MLS thing,

There are fairly substantial gaps between the tier and the roof at the Emriates, Stade De France and Estadio De Luz to name a few.

http://www.groundhopping.de/ec04vf1g6.jpg

Porto and Corinthians stadiums also have the massive gaps that the south end will have

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/CUbhni8XIAA-iSY.jpg:large
http://prelima.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Est%C3%A1dio-Drag%C3%A3o-FCPorto-12.jpg

Must be trendy with architects :lol:

Pint
12-01-2015, 08:39 AM
The east and west will have some sort of wind screen behind them i believe but at this point who knows.

When it rains some people will stay dry but a fair number will still get wet, i just hope the configuration doesn't turn bmo into a wind tunnel.

BuSaPuNk
12-01-2015, 08:41 AM
the purpose of the high roof has nothing to do with TFC...

As discussed many times over this was done so that BMO can be expanded with temporary seating for the Grey Cup (which no one watches) and the winter classic

Seriously can we stop this narritive. The Grey Cup ratings are higher then any TFC game. Not to mention the impact financially to the city that hosts it. Saying anything different then the straight facts sounds like whining about nothing.

Fort York Redcoat
12-01-2015, 08:57 AM
Seriously can we stop this narritive. The Grey Cup ratings are higher then any TFC game. Not to mention the impact financially to the city that hosts it. Saying anything different then the straight facts sounds like whining about nothing.

The financial impact isn't a big deal. That's a fact. The benefit to Toronto is less about money than exposure. The attention this stadium will garner as being a home for the Grey Cup will help the terrible image for the club that lives here. But ratings are incredible across Canada.

Ratings for the events are undeniably great thanks to the rest of Canada outside the GTA.

Eastend
12-01-2015, 09:15 AM
I watched part of the Grey Cup. ��

Pint
12-01-2015, 09:22 AM
More so than the grey cup those temp seats are for the winter classic during the leafs centennial season.

jimiv
12-01-2015, 10:30 AM
I watched part of the Grey Cup. ��

Did it happen already? I thought it was next weekend.

jabbronies
12-01-2015, 01:50 PM
The financial impact isn't a big deal. That's a fact. The benefit to Toronto is less about money than exposure. The attention this stadium will garner as being a home for the Grey Cup will help the terrible image for the club that lives here. But ratings are incredible across Canada.

Ratings for the events are undeniably great thanks to the rest of Canada outside the GTA.

The CFL is doing very well in other markets. For some of those cities, these CFL teams are either the only ticket in town or they have found their niche and are catering to their market quite nicely.

The Argos fan base is getting older. Aside from the children of those who are currently Argo fans, there are not many new fans rallying to the club.

The same fans who didn't enjoy the games at old exhibition stadium are the same fans that are carrying this teams attendance. Only now, they are much older and less accepting to being exposed to the elements. Hell, that was one of the reasons they moved from Exhibition Stadium - the elements were too much for the fan base to endure!

Moving the Argos to BMO field is a bad move for the Argos fan base. Sure the younger generation will love it, but they make up a small portion of the overall Argos fan base

Look at the stadium renderings. the wind will blow right through that thing. It will still be cold as hell in there.

A Stick
12-01-2015, 02:35 PM
Maybe the mistake by the lake (Argo fan lingo from way back) MKll, will be the final nail in the coffin of the good ship Argonaut.

Initial B
12-01-2015, 02:45 PM
The Argos will never fold so long as Bell owns them. They're the loss-leader for TSN broadcasts and CFL relevancy as a national league. Remember why the CSA hasn't announced a Canadian soccer league yet like they were supposed to? They can't find investors for Toronto and Vancouver, so they figure its not viable without those two markets. It's the same with the CFL and the Argos.

Eastend
12-01-2015, 08:30 PM
Did it happen already? I thought it was next weekend.

Yes, Grey Cup was this past Sunday, MLS Cup next Sunday.