PDA

View Full Version : Jason Kreis to TFC? [not happening]

Oldtimer
11-03-2015, 08:04 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CS3Lz3AUcAAMu-J.jpg

http://www.chicagonow.com/fire-confidential/2015/11/fire-notebook-coaching-search-update-the-wolf-and-more/
From a very reputable MLS journo

This originally posted by Areathrasher in the Vanney Era Deatwatch thread.

Oldtimer
11-03-2015, 08:08 AM
Kreis's record at RSL (wikipedia):

CONCACAF Champions League (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CONCACAF_Champions_League)

Runners Up : 2011

MLS Cup (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MLS_Cup)

Winners: 2009 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MLS_Cup_2009)
Runners Up: 2013 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MLS_Cup_2013)

MLS Supporters' Shield (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MLS_Supporters%27_Shield)

Runners Up: 2010 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Major_League_Soccer_season)

Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamar_Hunt_U.S._Open_Cup)

Runners Up: 2013 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Lamar_Hunt_U.S._Open_Cup_Final)

MLS Playoffs Conference Champions (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MLS_Cup_Playoffs)

Winners (2):

Western Conf: 2013
Eastern Conf: 2009

Oldtimer
11-03-2015, 08:10 AM
Commentary on Kreis' firing:

Jason Kreis only the fall guy in New York City FC debacle
http://www.espnfc.com/club/new-york-city-fc/17606/blog/post/2695310/jason-kreis-only-the-fall-guy-in-new-york-city-fc-debacle

(http://www.espnfc.com/club/new-york-city-fc/17606/blog/post/2695310/jason-kreis-only-the-fall-guy-in-new-york-city-fc-debacle)New York City FC sack Jason Kreis opening the door for Fabio Capello to take over MLS team
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/major-league-soccer/11971348/New-York-City-FC-sack-Jason-Kreis-opening-the-door-for-Fabio-Capello-to-take-over-MLS-team.html

(http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/major-league-soccer/11971348/New-York-City-FC-sack-Jason-Kreis-opening-the-door-for-Fabio-Capello-to-take-over-MLS-team.html)The shortsightedness in NYCFC's firing of Jason Kreis and its pursuit for instant MLS success
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/soccer-fc-yahoo/jason-kreis-fired-as-nycfc-head-coach-020719462.html

ManUtd4ever
11-03-2015, 08:40 AM
Yes please.

pdubs
11-03-2015, 08:45 AM
This needs to happen.

Detroit_TFC
11-03-2015, 08:54 AM
Whichever way this lands, I hope this is resolved as soon as possible so a proper preseason can be planned. A couple months of indecision would be a huge problem, especially when there are player moves that need to be addressed.

Phil
11-03-2015, 08:55 AM
This would be a guy who tops a list for me. The way RSL played under him was fantastic and his absence has exposed that organization on the field. He needs full control of the team in order to get the potential out of them, something that bodes well with Manning here.

This is all speculation on my part, I have heard nothing from the rumour mill yet.

flamehawk
11-03-2015, 09:11 AM
I know people have been very critical of Vanney, and I too would be very excited at getting a coach of Kreis' caliber. However, I do hope Kreis is able to replicated what Vanney did with Morgan and Osorio - one of the areas where Vanney I feel excelled at (both players attested to this).

WHat has Kreis' record been regarding developing youth players and integrating them int he team?

Initial B
11-03-2015, 09:21 AM
I would have thought Chicago would jump at the chance to land Kreis, but if what the article states is true. We might be in for a very interesting post-season press conference today...

pdubs
11-03-2015, 09:22 AM
I hope if Kreis is interviewing he makes it clear he isn't married to any player, ala Bradley. Can't be handcuffed coming through the gate like he was at NYCFC. He has done it with a lower budget team, take that philosophy of a good MLS core and then use your DP's as difference makers ala Giovinco. Potential is exciting. Resources TFC have must be tempting to Kreis but the baggage this club has may be too off putting.

notthesun
11-03-2015, 09:38 AM
Is it confirmed that Manning is attending media availability today? If he's not there we won't get much on this from Bez or Vanney. If asked about their job security they will probably just say they haven't had those talks yet.

If Manning is there we will know what's going to play out. He either backs Vanney & Bez or says something noncommittal - meaning they're gone in a few days.

C.Ronaldo
11-03-2015, 09:38 AM
Fabio Capello? I would take the gamble too, time to see if a real non MLS coach can do it in the MLS 3.0 era

TheGoodson
11-03-2015, 09:49 AM
The concept of hiring an elite European coaches Cappello or otherwise is not the greatest of ideas... These coaches are use to a higjh amount of player IQ and tactical awareness from players which the majority players in this league lacks. This is a flop waiting to happen and history has shown this to be true.

We need a coach that knows the league, is tactically astute and can motivate our players, hence why Kreis is the perfect fit.

Oldtimer
11-03-2015, 09:50 AM
Fabio Capello? I would take the gamble too, time to see if a real non MLS coach can do it in the MLS 3.0 era

NYCFC is counting on a Big Name coach to quell the restless fans. It will certainly be a test case, there are people here who think that a Big Name foreign coach would do well for Toronto. If the MLS history of foreign coaches still holds in MLS 3.0, it won't work out like they hope. Capello is not used to working with players who make $60k per year, or with MLS refs.

Getting rid of a proven winner like Jason Kreis is so beyond stupid, I hope TFC can wrap him up. I'd choose Kreis over Sigi any day, and while Vanney might eventually prove to be a good coach for this league, Kreis enables us to have that experience right now.

Chevy
11-03-2015, 09:52 AM
The concept of hiring an elite European coaches Cappello or otherwise is not the greatest of ideas... These coaches are use to a higjh amount of player IQ and tactical awareness from players which the majority players in this league lacks. This is a flop waiting to happen and history has shown this to be true.

We need a coach that knows the league, is tactically astute and can motivate our players, hence why Kreis is the perfect fit.

Although I would love to see Capello in MLS, I would have to agree there's potential for a huge amount of frustration with the league and overall player quality. Not to mention the refereeing.

Areathrasher
11-03-2015, 09:53 AM

Yep, there is only one way to find out. At least we won't be the guinea pig :lol:

pdubs
11-03-2015, 09:53 AM
Kreis also earns respect and time to retool the roster right off the bat. He has that banked. Problem with our recent run of managers is that none had anything banked because of no experience.

TheGoodson
11-03-2015, 09:58 AM
Although I would love to see Capello in MLS, I would have to agree there's potential for a huge amount of frustration with the league and overall player quality. Not to mention the refereeing.

Agreed, this is why most European coaches don't make it here...

I remember when Winter was here, I met him at their hotel in Columbus after our first win on the road against them. We had a 2 hour conversation about soccer in general and he said something that stuck with me "the biggest adjustment to coming here is the lack of awareness and skill by 90% of the players" The league changed since then, but when you have players who make $60k and then you have Giovinco, Bradely etc... you will always have this disconnect

Oldtimer
11-03-2015, 10:11 AM
Armchair analyst on Kreis, NYCFC and team building. Gotta agree with Doyle:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2015/11/02/armchair-analyst-word-jason-kreis-nycfc-and-team-building-mls

T-boy
11-03-2015, 10:22 AM
Armchair analyst on Kreis, NYCFC and team building. Gotta agree with Doyle:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2015/11/02/armchair-analyst-word-jason-kreis-nycfc-and-team-building-mls

I'm not sure if you are citing Doyle's article arguing that we should keep Vanney or hire Kreis?

For me Doyle makes a better argument for TFC keeping Vanney!

Bobo
11-03-2015, 10:44 AM

If a coach has a proven track record, I'd be willing to give him a period of adjustment if others in the organization are able and willing to expedite the process. I do agree though, that some coaches who are spoiled with quality might struggle to adapt. For this reason I'd prefer to go with a lesser name who has a history of getting the most out of less. I'd LOVE to bring in a guy like Francesco Guidolin who is solid on various levels. Of course, the ability to speak English is huge though.

Kreis has to be option #1.

ManUtd4ever
11-03-2015, 10:59 AM
Offer him a long term deal with complete autonomy and hope that he bites because of his familiarity with Manning. Without Manning, I don't think we'd have a chance.

brad
11-03-2015, 11:17 AM
This could be the biggest signing by TFC ever. An experienced, quality MLS coach - brought in at the end of the season with plenty of time to build for the next...wow.

Sweeper
11-03-2015, 11:34 AM
Not that I don't agree with Kreis being hired as the next coach of TFC, but it would be interesting to see how Manning sells it as a move that promotes stability and consistency in the club. The revolving door continues to revolve.

SenorDingDong
11-03-2015, 11:38 AM
Really dumb and short sighted by the NYFC owners to get rid of him after the teams first ever season in the league.

pdubs
11-03-2015, 11:40 AM
Not that I don't agree with Kreis being hired as the next coach of TFC, but it would be interesting to see how Manning sells it as a move that promotes stability and consistency in the club. The revolving door continues to revolve.

It's revolving but it is a legitimate hire if this pans out. Nelson/Vanney were shots in the dark, no experience. Kreis has a winning past in MLS and most teams would have them be their manager. This is all very intriguing. Great timing this all happened before the press conference lol.

notthesun
11-03-2015, 11:44 AM
Shut it down folks. Manning says they are sticking with Vanney.

Oldtimer
11-03-2015, 11:46 AM

He talked with Kreis, then decided to stick with Vanney. Maybe Kreis refused to come?

Joe Kool
11-03-2015, 11:47 AM

Could Kreis be coming in another capacity? Or maybe source of the rumour is just completely bogus.

Auzzy
11-03-2015, 11:52 AM
He talked with Kreis, then decided to stick with Vanney. Maybe Kreis refused to come?

I was wondering beforehand, would Kreis even want to come here? After he got burned by NYCFC, he's going to be extra cautious, and TFC has about 99 strikes against it.

It will be interesting to find out which Kreis-coached team will be destroying TFC in the next years...

notthesun
11-03-2015, 11:53 AM
With Manning in charge I don't see why Kreis wouldn't be interested. I think there was probably mutual interest on both sides but Manning simply decided to stay the course, for now.

Auzzy
11-03-2015, 11:57 AM
With Manning in charge I don't see why Kreis wouldn't be interested. I think there was probably mutual interest on both sides but Manning simply decided to stay the course, for now.

I think there are a ton of reasons why Kreis would be concerned about coming to TFC. He is very well connected, and he will be able to get all the details on current & past shenanigans.

Just one example, if it's true that Tannenbaum or others at the ownership level nixed a deal for Defoe last summer, that would be deadly. The whole Bell/Rogers two-headed ownership monster is worrisome. Manning just got here, how much can he guarantee? What about Bez, Bradley, Altidore, Argos, etc etc etc?

But it's just as possible that Manning really values stability, and saw enough from Vanney to give him ANOTHER chance...

Richard
11-03-2015, 12:18 PM
Kries is guy who has won a championship and has proven to be able to build a winning team, this is really a very simple decison.

All the best to Vanney but I rather the highest payroll in the league be managed by someone has actually won something.

Auzzy
11-03-2015, 12:19 PM
Kries is guy who has won a championship and has proven to be able to build a winning team, this is really a very simple decison.

All the best to Vanney but I rather the highest payroll in the league be managed by someone has actually won something.

Richard, did you see the update from Manning? Vanney is staying; Kreis isn't coming.

TFC/Everton
11-03-2015, 12:23 PM
Vanney is the first coach to lead us to the playoffs. He took a team in shambles after the 2014 season and made us respectable.

Perhaps giving him the benefit of the doubt is difficult after losing to the scum last week, but it wasn't all bad.

I think I had more fun at BMO this year than in any years in the past. Can't wait to get back next year.

ag futbol
11-03-2015, 12:24 PM
I want to see the quote. Context is important.

Hard to believe we could have something this perfect available to us yet we ignore it. One wonders how much influence the league office has over these decisions.

Only this team could turn a mega payroll over to an inexperienced coach / GM and be okay with it.

Oldtimer
11-03-2015, 12:30 PM

What if nobody wants to come here?

Super
11-03-2015, 12:32 PM
Vanney is the first coach to lead us to the playoffs. He took a team in shambles after the 2014 season and made us respectable.

Perhaps giving him the benefit of the doubt is difficult after losing to the scum last week, but it wasn't all bad.

I think I had more fun at BMO this year than in any years in the past. Can't wait to get back next year.

I also loved watching Giovinco.

ag futbol
11-03-2015, 01:08 PM
What if nobody wants to come here?
I think we should be past that at this point. The same arguments were trotted out in the past when we failed to sign domestics / South Americans / pretty much anyone else under the sun. It's simply not true.

It's a defeatist statement.

Initial B
11-03-2015, 01:49 PM
^ Oh, I'm sure the players want to come. But I think he was talking about coaches/management.

ManUtd4ever
11-03-2015, 01:54 PM
Well, that was fun while it lasted. Sigh.

Ultra & Proud
11-03-2015, 01:56 PM
Well, that was fun while it lasted. Sigh.
We're going to have a whole lot of fun going forward. One more year of exactly the same stuff unless the whole locker room goes full mutiny and then the whole thing explodes in the summer. After what I heard today I don't think that would be out of the question.

Shakes McQueen
11-03-2015, 01:57 PM

I think I probably come down on the side of replacing Vanney, but at the same time, Manning mentioned during the presser that the things people are saying about Vanney now, were almost identical to what people said about Kreis when he was starting out at RSL. He stuck with Kreis when fans were calling for his head, and the team steadily got better. Mentioned more than once that Vanney still only has a whopping 44 games under his belt.

Buy that argument or not, he clearly gave some thought to it. Also mentioned he talked to Kreis last night, which suggests to me that he may have been pretty close to making a different decision.

Either way, I think Vanney has a much shorter leash in 2016.

Yohan
11-03-2015, 02:07 PM
I think I probably come down on the side of replacing Vanney, but at the same time, Manning mentioned during the presser that the things people are saying about Vanney now, were almost identical to what people said about Kreis when he was starting out at RSL. He stuck with Kreis when fans were calling for his head, and the team steadily got better. Mentioned more than once that Vanney still only has a whopping 44 games under his belt.

Buy that argument or not, he clearly gave some thought to it. Also mentioned he talked to Kreis last night, which suggests to me that he may have been pretty close to making a different decision.

Either way, I think Vanney has a much shorter leash in 2016.
except I don't recall rumours of Kreis lost his locker room. then again, I don't remember much from that far back.

we have some public comments from players that seems to disagree with the coach. it'll still be Vanney vs Bradley in the locker room.

speculation, but I think Vanney preferred to have Caldwell as captain for the season. and someone gave it to Bradley instead. that's probably where the division in the locker room started.

Shakes McQueen
11-03-2015, 02:09 PM
except I don't recall rumours of Kreis lost his locker room. then again, I don't remember much from that far back.

we have some public comments from players that seems to disagree with the coach. it'll still be Vanney vs Bradley in the locker room

Can't comment on those rumours until I have a better grasp of the exact battle lines, and what the exact disagreement is. I don't think Manning would be oblivious to this.

Bobo
11-03-2015, 02:17 PM

Sixth place wouldn't have been good enough any other year. Vanney didn't bring this team out of the gutter, Giovinco did. One slight injury away from not having a chance this season. TFC were just lucky there were no decent teams left behind them. The way he seemed to have lost the locker room, they likely would have lost sixth had this season been 5 games longer.

mowe
11-03-2015, 02:21 PM
Sixth place wouldn't have been good enough any other year. Vanney didn't bring this team out of the gutter, Giovinco did. One slight injury away from not having a chance this season. TFC were just lucky there were no decent teams left behind them. The way he seemed to have lost the locker room, they likely would have lost sixth had this season been 5 games longer.

Yeah giving Vanney any credit for taking this team to the playoffs is laughable. It was 100% having the best player in league history. Not Bradley, not Altidore, certainly not the defense. All Giovinco.

Wull
11-03-2015, 02:46 PM
speculation, but I think Vanney preferred to have Caldwell as captain for the season. and someone gave it to Bradley instead. that's probably where the division in the locker room started.

This is the exact opposite of how things happened

Oldtimer
11-03-2015, 03:35 PM
Well, Kreis isn't coming, and this thread is becoming about Vanney, so let's continue the fun in the Deathwatch thread:

http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?37629-The-Vanney-Era-Deathwatch-Thread/page47