PDA

View Full Version : Envy of other goal and victory celebrations

Still Kicking
11-02-2015, 08:37 AM
I am a big fan of having a proper celebration after scoring a goal, especially if folks find a way to do it in a manner that reflects the history and heritage of the area.

The NE Revolution and their minutemen firing muskets is an example. The Portland timbers and the lumberjack slicing the huge log is a better example.

And now the Impact have added a huge bell- which sounds like a church bell - and knowing some history of New France/Lower Canada/Quebec the tolling of a bell fits their heritage.

What has Toronto got? What ideas could we generate? Most of the ideas that first sprung to my mind are not Ontario/Toronto complimentary.

After scoring a goal could we...

- assemble a mock condo?
- form a traffic jam?
- relocate a hydro plant?
- sell one sixpack at a grocery store?
- paddle a canoe?
- send a huge boat (a laker) through a canal
- elect a Ford?
- assemble a Ford/car/Kia ?
- import a Kia?
- pay a hydro bill?
- export something to the US?

I am sure more ideas are out there....

mdc 77
11-02-2015, 08:57 AM
How about we celebrate proper by singing and cheering?

The bell in Montreal is one of the worst ideas ive ever seen. A made in Michigan bell, that has no place in the stadium and cant be heard in the stadium. You hear it on tv because they have it mic'd. Its ridiculous.

TheGoodson
11-02-2015, 09:12 AM
I fucking hate that bell... It have PTSD every time I hear a bell now.

It seems to be such a forced thing, if we do anything it should come organically not a manufactured stunt like that bloody bell

ensco
11-02-2015, 09:27 AM
Maybe the airing of the grievances?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS7-jcsB_WQ

Red4ever
11-02-2015, 09:47 AM
First of all, Festivus, Awesome.

Second I'm surprised MLSE hasn't done something already. I'd be open to it for sure, but it can't be forced.

Oldtimer
11-02-2015, 09:47 AM
How about we celebrate proper by singing and cheering?

The bell in Montreal is one of the worst ideas ive ever seen. A made in Michigan bell, that has no place in the stadium and cant be heard in the stadium. You hear it on tv because they have it mic'd. Its ridiculous.

Agreed.

Copying Montreal's bell is like copying Seattle's marching band. Plastic fans need plastic experiences.

Ivy
11-02-2015, 10:12 AM
LOL the original thread made me laugh haha thanks.

Beach_Red
11-02-2015, 10:22 AM
Maybe the goal scorer could be presented with a seat cushion... might be a little too Timbers with their piece of log...

zeelaw
11-02-2015, 10:51 AM
Fuck that Bell. It's annoying and typical astro-turf BS.

Pint
11-02-2015, 10:59 AM
I'm not British but I've started calling it the Bellend and laughing to myself when I do so.

Always though the timbers log thing was awful.

We set off smoke and have the after goal song we do. Could we add something? Probably but never as tacky as the bell or log.

RealG-TFC
11-02-2015, 11:07 AM
Agreed.

Copying Montreal's bell is like copying Seattle's marching band. Plastic fans need plastic experiences.

You know, I actually noticed the video board at Saputo was showing a bluejaysesque "Get loud" (or peraps just "louder") during a corner from the TV feed.

Still Kicking
11-02-2015, 11:29 AM
LOL the original thread made me laugh haha thanks. Thanks for the thanks....

The info from folks regarding the flaws of the Impact bell have been enlightening. I guess I have been fooled by the tv presentation. More taken with the concept rather than the execution, I suppose.

I am both serious and joking. I am very aware that anything MLSE comes up with would have a high chance at offending me AND be too cheesy to boot. I do consider myself a footy purist, but one always finds plenty of room further up the purist ladder.

I think that the search for a celebration rich in symbolism is a long one and not just sport related. Laertes says to the priest, overheard by Hamlet, "what ceremony else" and that sticks with me I guess...

Still Kicking
11-02-2015, 11:31 AM
and there may be nothing more in tune to the culture of TFC than the airing of grievances...

Red4ever
11-02-2015, 11:37 AM
You know, I actually noticed the video board at Saputo was showing a bluejaysesque "Get loud" (or peraps just "louder") during a corner from the TV feed.

People can laugh at this but they were louder than BMO gets. It works.

QBall
11-02-2015, 11:46 AM
Every time TFC scores a goal someone from the Provincial Liberals appears on the field to collect a tax from the player who scored it.

mdc 77
11-02-2015, 12:14 PM
People can laugh at this but they were louder than BMO gets. It works.

Maybe make that comparison when the crowd at BMO has a playoff win against their biggest rival to cheer about.

Red4ever
11-02-2015, 12:27 PM
Maybe make that comparison when the crowd at BMO has a playoff win against their biggest rival to cheer about.

Maybe they're always louder in the non supporters section. Supporters can call that stuff plastic but people who don't call themselves supporters love it.

German21
11-02-2015, 12:57 PM
Maybe they're always louder in the non supporters section. Supporters can call that stuff plastic but people who don't call themselves supporters love it.

well and this is no different than the calls for support at hockey games and baseball games. There is no support culture there unless the videoboard or PA tells the crowd to. And lets face it the casuals do love it, it gets them involved, and they don't have to think or listen. I image BMO would be louder if our videoboard and PA system started calling out to get louder and what not, but that really takes away from the organic feel that supporters groups create. The roof should really help carry our voices.

Also footy is still a largely hated sport in north america. Baseball and hockey reign supreme. This is why comparing to europe is useless, for the most part footy is all they have and it is their life, they are unified under that sport and their local team, because of that, the average viewer puts much more heart into it.

Still Kicking
11-02-2015, 01:24 PM
well and this is no different than the calls for support at hockey games and baseball games. There is no support culture there unless the videoboard or PA tells the crowd to. And lets face it the casuals do love it, it gets them involved, and they don't have to think or listen. I image BMO would be louder if our videoboard and PA system started calling out to get louder and what not, but that really takes away from the organic feel that supporters groups create. The roof should really help carry our voices.

Also footy is still a largely hated sport in north america. Baseball and hockey reign supreme. This is why comparing to europe is useless, for the most part footy is all they have and it is their life, they are unified under that sport and their local team, because of that, the average viewer puts much more heart into it.
Don't agree, can't agree.
First I think that the popularity of a sport and the popularity of a sport on tv can be two different things. Historically in Ontario the two most popular team sports have been hockey and baseball, with CFL football running third. Remember though that Bell and Rogers have invested a rather large amount of money in this status quo. Recall Tim Leiweke saying that in 10 years the Raptors will be the biggest team in this city? I think he was aware of demographic shift in this province. A huge swath of young people, urban, educated and having heritages that connect to the many parts of the world that have ZERO history of baseball and ice hockey. Many Torontonians have grown up in recent decades with no or little experience of hockey or baseball. They are the basketball and soccer generation.

I think you very much underestimate the sporting choices of European life. Basketball is growing. Ever seen a handball game? Hockey is a part of life in northern climes. World Cup skiing?
They don't flock to footy because of restrictions in choice. They flock because the game is rich and intricate and plays a love/hate role in their lives. Not restricted by one pro franchise per market, footy fans in most of the world fall in love with their team in their local stadium, maybe even within walking distance from home.
The footy fan falls in love at the stadium, watching it on tv just confirms the existing love. The North American sports fan falls in love with their team while watching them on tv, going to a game just confirms an existing love...

fergiejr
11-02-2015, 02:17 PM
One of the biggest "chants" that the Impact had when we were there for the Sunday game was "tout le stade", which was on both video boards - encouraging the crowd to chant. And everyone was chanting - well most were chanting. I've never seen that at BMO, and I don't know how I would feel about seeing it there. What support we have is organic, but then again maybe having everyone on board with what we are trying to do is a good thing. Maybe not.

It's simple enough though, kind of like "All Together, All Together" - which is pretty much the loose translation of their chant.

Oh, but I do like the mock condo thing, that was hilarious... We could make it with giant JENGA pieces...

Richard
11-02-2015, 04:55 PM
Every time we score we should have a stuffed golden goose being given defibrillator shocks.

jimiv
11-02-2015, 05:11 PM
I am a big fan of having a proper celebration after scoring a goal, especially if folks find a way to do it in a manner that reflects the history and heritage of the area.

The NE Revolution and their minutemen firing muskets is an example. The Portland timbers and the lumberjack slicing the huge log is a better example.

And now the Impact have added a huge bell- which sounds like a church bell - and knowing some history of New France/Lower Canada/Quebec the tolling of a bell fits their heritage.

What has Toronto got? ....

I always thought it would be cool to have the Fort York Guard fire a cannon from the top of the supporters section every time TFC scores a goal.

Ivy
11-02-2015, 05:14 PM
I always thought it would be cool to have the Fort York Guard fire a cannon from the top of the supporters section every time TFC scores a goal.
...into the away supporters section. Or the oppositions bench.

Petor
11-02-2015, 05:41 PM
...into the away supporters section. Or the oppositions bench.

I was going to post something similar to your post.
Would be great for night games! :)

http://www.royalprovincial.com/graphics/RHE9.jpg

andyboy
11-02-2015, 08:23 PM

What has Toronto got? What ideas could we generate? Most of the ideas that first sprung to my mind are not Ontario/Toronto complimentary.

After scoring a goal could we...

- assemble a mock condo?
- form a traffic jam?
- relocate a hydro plant?
- sell one sixpack at a grocery store?
- paddle a canoe?
- send a huge boat (a laker) through a canal
- elect a Ford?
- assemble a Ford/car/Kia ?
- import a Kia?
- pay a hydro bill?
- export something to the US?

Brilliant!!! Well done, Still Kicking!

Auzzy
11-02-2015, 09:22 PM
In true Canadian fashion, why not sing "Sorry" to the opposing team after TFC scores a goal? </joke>

OgtheDim
11-02-2015, 09:28 PM
Something involving a raccoon.

Dead or otherwise.....

flatpicker
11-02-2015, 09:39 PM
Something involving a raccoon.

Dead or otherwise.....

http://screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-Wall-Decals-Rocket-Raccoon-1.png

james
11-02-2015, 10:58 PM
some of these are funny, but in honesty all those goal celebration ideas and probably New England more then anything are awful and embarrassing. Portland's is stupid, but some how they went a long with it and since Portland has such a loud and good atmosphere they managed to make cutting the wood not so stupid. If you did that in FC Dallas or something, it would be complete cringe worthy and be mocked! New England...haha oh those patriots make me laugh but cringe at the same time!!!

Fort York Redcoat
11-09-2015, 11:44 AM

I was going to post something similar to your post.
Would be great for night games! :)

http://www.royalprovincial.com/graphics/RHE9.jpg

This gets my vote for at least a season but only vs NE.g:D

C.Ronaldo
11-09-2015, 12:07 PM
I miss the streamers

Flint
11-09-2015, 12:35 PM
One of Toronto's nicknames is The Big Smoke. We do smoke after goals.

Conclusion: We need more smoke g:D

Alternatively, were also nicknamed "Hogtown" so we could release a pig onto the field after each goal. (just saying)

Kamp Berg
11-09-2015, 12:48 PM
One of Toronto's nicknames is The Big Smoke. We do smoke after goals.

Conclusion: We need more smoke g:D

Alternatively, were also nicknamed "Hogtown" so we could release a pig onto the field after each goal. (just saying)

Perfect! And make the visiting team catch it!