A glorified travel agent.

Fantastic.

C.Ronaldo
10-29-2015, 08:53 AM
who?

I would have prefered the west jet guy

Red CB Toronto
10-29-2015, 08:53 AM
Not too sure what to think of this, going from a true sports guy with a resume to back it up to someone that has overseen an airline with non the greatest track record.

C.Ronaldo
10-29-2015, 08:55 AM
Not too sure what to think of this, going from a true sports guy with a resume to back it up to someone that has overseen an airline with non the greatest track record.

no no no, just air canada rogue. thats even less to be proud of

leafsman
10-29-2015, 08:57 AM
I like the hiring of a business guy. This signifies he runs the business side of the organization and allow the Team Presidents to run each team

ag futbol
10-29-2015, 09:15 AM
https://twitter.com/rwesthead/status/659727263571791873

A glorified travel agent.

Fantastic.
You are looking at it the wrong way. Air Canada offers the type of customer service MLSE can only hope to strive for one day :D

Game start times will now only be a suggestion.

C.Ronaldo
10-29-2015, 09:15 AM
I like the hiring of a business guy. This signifies he runs the business side of the organization and allow the Team Presidents to run each team

probably, but still doesnt have the resume for it

Carter
10-29-2015, 09:20 AM
probably, but still doesnt have the resume for it

Michael has more than 25 years of experience in the international leisure travel business and a background in international travel, finance, marketing and sales management, mergers, acquisitions and divestitures, and business integration.

probably not......

Ivy
10-29-2015, 09:30 AM
Why does everyone hate TFC? They had to announce all these MLSE changes, today?? Arghhhh...

TFC07
10-29-2015, 09:44 AM
This just shows that no one with track record wants to work for MLSE. So MLSE hire non-sports guy to run their teams.

Hopefully this finding new president experience humble MLSE owners.

Detroit_TFC
10-29-2015, 09:49 AM
I don't know this guy but seems like they got someone whose main job will be to do what the Board tells him to do.

Detroit_TFC
10-29-2015, 09:50 AM
This just shows that no one with track record wants to work for MLSE. So MLSE hire non-sports guy to run their teams.

Hopefully this finding new president experience humble MLSE owners.

Yeah, I guess this was the way this was rolling out. A lot of people turned them down.

Auzzy
10-29-2015, 09:54 AM
Well maybe Friisdahl will get the ban on supporter's bags, flags, drums, etc. rescinded quite soon. There will however be a "nominal charge" of $28.25 per item if you want to bring these things into the stadium.

Fort York Redcoat
10-29-2015, 10:13 AM
Calling all @ensco (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/member.php?u=280)'s

I want to hear you chime in, man.:)

Myself I'm kind of sad knowing less attention will be on TFC than with Lieweke. Not that I like what he did for me in the end but hey..

Qman
10-29-2015, 10:15 AM
this guy is a business guy. bye bye la galaxy model. hello philadelphia union model.

worst thing for TFC is the day TL leaves.

I would best describe this as LT's giant middle finger to the southstands.

gdg_9
10-29-2015, 10:21 AM
this guy is a business guy. bye bye la galaxy model. hello philadelphia union model.

Was worried about this too.
TFC can't be all that profitable with the way it's set up right now with 3 big-time DP's... especially if we don't manage home playoff dates.

Don't see this new guy being as open to chasing big fish if/when one of our DP's leave.

TFC07
10-29-2015, 10:22 AM

Umm no. I highly doubt that will happen because then their revenue will decrease (lower attendance to lower jersey sales) while have a harder time to get their ROI from investing into BMO Field.

I personally believe this new guy isn't going to touch TFC since we already got a new president who will be handling TFC operations.

If anything, I think new president isn't going to do anything besides just to make sure everything is running smoothly.

TFC07
10-29-2015, 10:24 AM
Was worried about this too.
TFC can't be all that profitable with the way it's set up right now with 3 big-time DP's... especially if we don't manage home playoff dates.

Don't see this new guy being as open to chasing big fish if/when one of our DP's leave.

If you add SUM money that TFC gets, then there's nothing to worry about when comes to being profitable.

Jack
10-29-2015, 10:29 AM
Hopefully, this guy is smart enough to let his team presidents run things. Ujiri seems to know what he's doing and Shanahan has made all the right moves. On our side of things, Manning is an experienced MLS team president, so that shows us that the structure is in place for these guys to run their teams and report to this guy.

At least, that's what it looks like on the surface.

Areathrasher
10-29-2015, 10:31 AM
RE: TFC revenue

In all the AA/Blue Jays hoopla this morning, this little tidbit showed up

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CSfav2zVAAAkrtb.png

Make of it what you will.

TFC07
10-29-2015, 10:43 AM

When you add gate revenue and SUM money for TFC, it's hard to see how they're losing millions of dollars like some posters here claim to be.

Areathrasher
10-29-2015, 10:49 AM
When you add gate revenue and SUM money for TFC, it's hard to see how they're losing millions of dollars like some posters here claim to be.

I wouldn't be surprised if the SUM money was included in that $21m figure but yea, gate and concessions would be on top of that.

ensco
10-29-2015, 11:34 AM
Hoo boy.

I don’t know this guy from Adam, but this is perfect. Bogers take the cake with this. The ultimate act of cynicism, in a cynical world.

For those who are not frequent flyers, let me tell you what the airline business model as practiced by Air Canada is all about. They are 65% of all commercial air traffic in Canada, but in a lot of major markets (like the Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal triangle) it's more like 80-90%. AC is all about refining the practice of exerting monopoly power to the nth degree. These guys are the masters. Let me enumerate the strategy/segmentation here:

First, for a tiny group, the top half of 1% of spenders (this is Super Elite on AC), lavishly increase the offering. Increase availabity of upgrades or award flights, have glamourous looking separate checkins for this group, generally treat them like plutocrats. Do this very publicly/ostentatiously. Make everyone else look at this group enviously.

Next, target a broader group of your most loyal customers, and give them less. In AC’s case, this has meant gutting the value of Aeroplan, by changing rules without warning that make flight awards and upgrades more expensive or impossible to get. Sell access to the lounges to credit card companies by the thousands, so that they are far less attractive an amenity. Do it a little each year. Kind of like boiling the frog. (FYI these guys are the kings of Orwellian double speak. Every time they reduce the value of the service or product they are providing, they call it an Enhancement.)

Finally, for the masses, cheapen/devalue the baseline experience like crazy. It’s a race to the bottom. Cut staff to the bone, and don't pay the ones that are left properly - you need a demoralized workforce to pull this off properly. Make sure that lineups at airports are longer, call center wait times are ridiculous, bags come out slower. Make the seats smaller and smaller. Charge for everything (bags, better seats, meals, you name it). Force people onto Rouge (or “Scrooge” as I like to call it) because AC mainline no longer serves their route. Roll out new AC Boeing 777 High Density aircraft with 10 abreast seating (these aircraft are known to flight attendants as the “slave ships”). Make this group suffer so much that flying is damn near intolerable, and anybody who can, will pay to escape the pain.

The strategy overall – revenues are what they are. Get costs down and make most people crazy, by taking stuff from them that they used to have, so that they are willing to pay real money to “move up” to the next group. Oh, by the way, there are no relationships with customers, if they are not profitable enough we cut people off. When we want to.

Listen, people have to fly, and they don't have to go to TFC or Leaf games, but I'll wager a fair chunk of this is coming soon to all your favourite sports teams.

OgtheDim
10-29-2015, 11:52 AM
Hmm....that makes sense for the Leafs where revenues are what they are.

The other divisions - not so sure that works. BMO without the supporters area is dead and trying to upgrade people from that is mindless.

A good read ensco. Thanks.

Sweeper
10-29-2015, 11:53 AM
Should we read anything into the timing of the announcement? Would it have mattered if they announced it tomorrow? Perhaps they didn't even consider the timing because TFC is actually pretty insignificant when it comes to their sports franchise group.

Fort York Redcoat
10-29-2015, 11:54 AM
Hoo boy.

I don’t know this guy from Adam, but this is perfect. Bogers take the cake with this. The ultimate act of cynicism, in a cynical world.

For those who are not frequent flyers, let me tell you what the airline business model as practiced by Air Canada is all about. They are 65% of all commercial air traffic in Canada, but in a lot of major markets (like the Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal triangle) it's more like 80-90%. AC is all about refining the practice of exerting monopoly power to the nth degree. These guys are the masters. Let me enumerate the strategy/segmentation here:

First, for a tiny group, the top half of 1% of spenders (this is Super Elite on AC), lavishly increase the offering. Increase availabity of upgrades or award flights, have glamourous looking separate checkins for this group, generally treat them like plutocrats. Do this very publicly/ostentatiously. Make everyone else look at this group enviously.

Next, target a broader group of your most loyal customers, and give them less. In AC’s case, this has meant gutting the value of Aeroplan, by changing rules without warning that make flight awards and upgrades more expensive or impossible to get. Sell access to the lounges to credit card companies by the thousands, so that they are far less attractive an amenity. Do it a little each year. Kind of like boiling the frog. (FYI these guys are the kings of Orwellian double speak. Every time they reduce the value of the service or product they are providing, they call it an Enhancement.)

Finally, for the masses, cheapen/devalue the baseline experience like crazy. It’s a race to the bottom. Cut staff to the bone, and don't pay the ones that are left properly - you need a demoralized workforce to pull this off properly. Make sure that lineups at airports are longer, call center wait times are ridiculous, bags come out slower. Make the seats smaller and smaller. Charge for everything (bags, better seats, meals, you name it). Force people onto Rouge (or “Scrooge” as I like to call it) because AC mainline no longer serves their route. Roll out new AC Boeing 777 High Density aircraft with 10 abreast seating (these aircraft are known to flight attendants as the “slave ships”). Make this group suffer so much that flying is damn near intolerable, and anybody who can, will pay to escape the pain.

The strategy overall – revenues are what they are. Get costs down and make most people crazy, by taking stuff from them that they used to have, so that they are willing to pay real money to “move up” to the next group. Oh, by the way, there are no relationships with customers, if they are not profitable enough we cut people off. When we want to.

Listen, people have to fly, and they don't have to go to TFC or Leaf games, but I'll wager a fair chunk of this is coming soon to all your favourite sports teams.

Wow. I knew you wouldn't let me down. That is information.

Soooooooo....

We're gonna get free travel to TFC away games for the first time in our history...riiiiiiight?

But really this could mean we have to build a team with a model that isn't 3 DP's to sneak into the playoffs. Not easy but it probably won't be a choice soon.

OgtheDim
10-29-2015, 12:02 PM
There is no reason for them to ditch TFC salary - TFC salary drives revenue. Upgrades at an outdoor stadium controlled by the city while the masses get less? Yeah, good luck selling that atmosphere.

Nah, I see this guy letting Manning do his job while he focuses on maximising the "Leaf experience".

Red CB Toronto
10-29-2015, 12:07 PM
Just a thought, Did MLSE do Rogers a favour by announcing the new president on the day Alex Anthopoulos announced that he would not be be staying on as GM of the Blue Jays after taking this city by storm this fall and summer?

ensco
10-29-2015, 12:18 PM
There is no reason for them to ditch TFC salary - TFC salary drives revenue.

TFC spent $17M over the cap to "drive" maybe $5M in revenue.

Leiweke sold it as part of a vision to increase asset value. Your guess is as good as mine as to how the new guy will see it, but I'd look at who Leiweke was before he got here, how Leiweke's stint went, and where this new guy comes from.

Fort York Redcoat
10-29-2015, 12:30 PM
Just a thought, Did MLSE do Rogers a favour by announcing the new president on the day Alex Anthopoulos announced that he would not be be staying on as GM of the Blue Jays after taking this city by storm this fall and summer?

Favour? Could be just as likely the opposite. Not the first timing snafu between Bogers properties announcements.

Red CB Toronto
10-29-2015, 12:42 PM
Favour? Could be just as likely the opposite. Not the first timing snafu between Bogers properties announcements.

That is true the more I think about it, no MLSE president anouncement would really deflect attention away from AA leaving the Jays, especially after the season the Jays had. Just another day as the Boggers world turns in what direction I am not exactly sure.

Super
10-29-2015, 12:44 PM
My question is the following: is it going to be easier or more difficult for TFC to sign any big name players in the future?

That is all.

pdubs
10-29-2015, 12:45 PM
The only way they are going to sell a decrease in payroll to the fan base is consistently being in the playoff's more times then not. TL spending has bought time, we have new big $$$ heroes that grab headlines. If they bring in lean times TFC and we still suck then sorry, good-bye for me. Granted big $$$ doesn't mean success in a capped league and the opposite doesn't mean that either. Problem is now the whole fan base has tasted the best $$$ can buy. Hope the tread carefully.

Fort York Redcoat
10-29-2015, 12:46 PM
My question is the following: is it going to be easier or more difficult for TFC to sign any big name players in the future?

That is all.

I don't have the answer for you but I know what airline they'll use...g:D

pdubs
10-29-2015, 12:49 PM
TFC slashes payroll and become bottom feeders.

Good deals on Air Canada tho.

Ultra & Proud
10-29-2015, 12:54 PM
TFC slashes payroll and become bottom feeders.

Become? You mean return right?

ensco
10-29-2015, 12:55 PM
Allez les Rouges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He3ieR8swNk

pdubs
10-29-2015, 12:57 PM
Become? You mean return right?

Haha. We ain't Chicago.... yet.

Or rather we are bottom feeders but we have the league's largest checkbook lol.

Qman
10-29-2015, 01:58 PM

Leiweke sold it as part of a vision to increase asset value. Your guess is as good as mine as to how the new guy will see it, but I'd look at who Leiweke was before he got here, how Leiweke's stint went, and where this new guy comes from.

Unfortunately for TFC with the fall in the C$ they are now paying $23m to drive maybe $5M in revenue.

Plus, they lose the TL who is really driving the marketing and buttering-up of potential DPs.

C.Ronaldo
10-29-2015, 02:23 PM
Unfortunately for TFC with the fall in the C$ they are now paying $23m to drive maybe $5M in revenue.

Plus, they lose the TL who is really driving the marketing and buttering-up of potential DPs.

the league is rev sharing, right? we dont know the real loss on TFC but im betting soon enough or already, when giovinco travels tickets go with it

Shakes McQueen
10-29-2015, 02:39 PM
Hard to get too excited about MLSE hiring a "business guy" from a pretty sad industry, over a sports guy. But then, I suppose you have to keep in mind that MLSE owns more than just sports teams.

If he gives his team presidents autonomy to keep doing what they think they need to do, then I'm fine with it. If he doesn't, then I'm not. Would have been the same reaction no matter who they hired.,

Auzzy
10-29-2015, 03:20 PM

Note upfront:

- I'm concerned as well about the new prez they hired, because of Air Canada problems, plus no sports- or related experience;

- On the other hand, with the exception of Giovinco, I'm not necessarily so concerned about a possible drop in TFC spending in the future, because plenty of other teams in MLS have shown how you can get much better bang for the buck than TFC has. (Of course no guarantee that TFC will get smarter in that aspect, but it's possible.)

But I still wonder ensco, what do you think about Areathrasher's quote above? Perhaps TFC has done much better with corporate sponsorships than we realized, so maybe things aren't looking as dire financially as you thought?

ensco
10-29-2015, 03:38 PM
But I still wonder ensco, what do you think about Areathrasher's quote above? Perhaps TFC has done much better with corporate sponsorships than we realized, so maybe things aren't looking as dire financially as you thought?

It's not a remotely fair comment:

(i) What would the naming rights for Skydome be worth on the open market?
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas-cowboys/headlines/20130725-dallas-cowboys-announce-major-business-related-press-conference-today.ece

(ii) TFC earns significant dollars from things that aren't available to the Jays (jersey sponsor, Downsview/Kia Training). But that is dwarfed by things the Jays have that TFC can only dream about (let's compare the TFC ratings tonight with the Jays getting 5M+ for every playoff game). You can't cherry pick the one line item that favours TFC and act like that is the whole story

(iii) Let's check this next year. Baseball advertising/marketing dollars will go through the roof next year, this team had the longest playoff drought in baseball and the team was irrelevant and in a deep trough was the corporate sector.

TFC gets those naming and sponsorship dollars with or without Giovinco, although of course the amount must go up with a Giovinco. But if attendance isn't moving much, and TV ratings are still miniscule, then TFC aren't getting much more with Giovinco in this category either. There'd be no basis to get that. The dollars follow the data.

Auzzy
10-29-2015, 03:44 PM
It's not a remotely fair comment:

(i) What would the naming rights for Skydome be worth on the open market?
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas-cowboys/headlines/20130725-dallas-cowboys-announce-major-business-related-press-conference-today.ece

(ii) TFC earns significant dollars from things that aren't available to the Jays (jersey sponsor, Downsview/Kia Training). But that is dwarfed by things the Jays have that TFC can only dream about (let's compare the TFC ratings tonight with the Jays getting 5M+ for every playoff game). You can't cherry pick the one line item that favours TFC and act like that is the whole story

(iii) Let's check this next year. Baseball advertising/marketing dollars will go through the roof next year, this team had the longest playoff drought in baseball and the team was irrelevant and in a deep trough was the corporate sector.

I wasn't actually interested in that quote as a comparison to the Jays, nor was I meaning any criticism of the Jay's financial record. (I know very little about the Jays.) Thanks for explaining those important points. Just thinking that $21 in corporate sponsorships for TFC is quite significant. Maybe their overall revenue increase after the big signings is more than expected?

EDIT Oh I saw your edit later. In addition to what you wrote about Giovinco's possible impact on sponsorships etc, I bet that Bradley's and Altidore's signings move the needle much less....

ensco
10-29-2015, 03:48 PM
I wasn't actually interested in that quote as a comparison to the Jays, nor was I meaning any criticism of the Jay's financial record. (I know very little about the Jays.) Just thinking that $21 in corporate sponsorships for TFC is quite significant. Maybe their overall revenue increase after the big signings is more than expected?

I think it is significant. Agreed.

But I believe TFC would get a pretty similar amount whether they have a $5M or a $20M payroll. (Call it $18M or something, if they had a $5M payroll.) This is obviously the conclusion Red Bull came to with respect to NYRB.

Since TV ratings aren't co-relating to payroll, the suits have a failed, or failing, strategy on their hands. Leiweke would argue you need to give it time.

C.Ronaldo
10-29-2015, 03:59 PM
I think it is significant. Agreed.

But I believe TFC would get a pretty similar amount whether they have a $5M or a $20M payroll. (Call it $18M or something, if they had a $5M payroll.) This is obviously the conclusion Red Bull came to with respect to NYRB.

Since TV ratings aren't co-relating to payroll, the suits have a failed, or failing, strategy on their hands. Leiweke would argue you need to give it time.

you can parade your MVP through a shit load ton of things, the Revenue for giovinco has just begun.

Get Ronaldo's marketing guy out here, giovinco needs his own gelato flavour in little italy to his own underwear

ensco
10-29-2015, 04:05 PM
In addition to what you wrote about Giovinco's possible impact on sponsorships etc, I bet that Bradley's and Altidore's signings move the needle much less....

I'd bet big money that Bradley and Altidore won't be here next year. Gio is a different case, Cristiano ^ might be right about that!

Red CB Toronto
10-29-2015, 04:09 PM
It is interesting, I heard on the Fan today, that four people will directly report to the MLSE board. The three team presidents plus the new president, who is essentially the business operations guy. So it gives each person their own autonomy. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

Auzzy
10-29-2015, 04:27 PM
I'd bet big money that Bradley and Altidore won't be here next year. Gio is a different case, Cristiano ^ might be right about that!

LOL, we were both moving the goal posts a bit with our edits. And as you were posting this short note, I was drafting this longer response:

Specifically with Giovinco, I wonder if there may be an impact on revenue & sponsorship, beyond the numbers shown in TV viewership & ticket sales. Jersey sales are one thing. (I admit -- Seba's sales are good, but not even close to Beckham's MLS sales for example.) However, TFC with Giovinco has been in the news alot, both here & around the world, on social media, etc. Italy call-ups, MVP contender, goals- & teams-of-the-week, and records broken must be worth something both on & off the field.

Also in a revenue-shared league, I think all three of our DPs would have an impact on ticket sales on the road, in US markets. That's likely important to MLS.

I don't really have a clue, but my gut feeling is that a smart exec would say, Giovinco is worth it. Bradley & Altidore probably not; there are likely other players from the US, or Central & South America, who have at least as much impact on the field; almost as much impact off the field; and much less financial hit. (Also no clue if we will have any "smart execs.")

jloome
10-29-2015, 04:59 PM
LOL very well noted, ENSCO.

Tiering is all the rage; here's an example most don't consider: standardized coffee cups at gas stations and stores. They Used to have all difference-sized circumferences. But execs realized that by making the openign the same and just making larger sizes TALLER, People would still fill to the same level BELOW the rim, thereby taking less coffee per ounce as they sized up, despite tiered pricing designed to make people think they were getting more for their money.

That was pretty devious. Cable companies with gold, silver, bronze tiers are another great example; video games with everything a later purchase.

If people let this shit happen, companies will take their money.

ensco
10-29-2015, 05:12 PM
I don't really have a clue, but my gut feeling is that a smart exec would say, Giovinco is worth it. Bradley & Altidore probably not; there are likely other players from the US, or Central & South America, who have at least as much impact on the field; almost as much impact off the field; and much less financial hit. (Also no clue if we will have any "smart execs.")

I agree with this. Wild card is Seba with Leiweke gone - not sure he will sign up for this.

ensco
10-30-2015, 11:32 AM
Friisdahl grew up in Denmark. Moved here when he was 13. Soccer was his first love.

That could be good.

Detroit_TFC
10-30-2015, 11:42 AM
It is interesting, I heard on the Fan today, that four people will directly report to the MLSE board. The three team presidents plus the new president, who is essentially the business operations guy. So it gives each person their own autonomy. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

That is important info. If TFC is considered a stand alone operation there is still big financial constraint concerns but nothing like if it has to fit in MLSE's cost containment plans.