PDA

View Full Version : TSN sucks ass

Roogsy
07-25-2008, 06:04 PM
I hate them so much, I am only reassured that my decision to never watch that stupid channel (except for Champions League, because I have no choice) is the right decision.

The Score didn't open with the MLS story being tops...but they did make it the third story from the top and they gave it plenty of airtime. Both the ASG and the expansion story.

Same with Sportsnet, and of course because of all the speculation about Vancouver bidding for an expansion spot, the westcoast coverage had a substantial amount.

TSN?

They opened with a meaningless game in the CFL (of course...because they carry CFL), then went to tennis THEN went to coverage of not one but SEVERAL baseball games.

Only THEN did they dedicate what must have been a good, solid, all-encompassing 10 seconds to the MLS All Star Game, where 9 seconds of it must have had Beckham's face on TV.

TSN is the worst sports station in Toronto...by a friggin' country mile.

Fernandinho
07-25-2008, 06:20 PM
tsn will dedicate 45 minutes of analysis for the nhl draft, and 1-2 minutes of game 7 of the NBA playoffs final round...they tend to be pretty biased to hockey (of course) but really how much in-depth coverage do we really need

nobodybeatsthewiz
07-25-2008, 06:25 PM
makes me want to punch daryn dutchysechenecchschehn (sp?) in his stupid monkey face!

13CP
07-25-2008, 06:29 PM
Only biased because thats what they assume most of us want to see. I don't need to see the highlights of every baseball game that happened the previous day. I switch the channel for 10 mins, go back and it's still on baseball. By the time I switch back to the channel, what I wanted to see is gone.

Ladies Love Julius James
07-25-2008, 06:30 PM
Most of the interest is directed towards hockey because that's where the interest is.

Roogsy
07-25-2008, 06:32 PM
And hockey is being played at the moment?

What good reason would they have to bury the MLS ASG if not they are just assholes? The most famous athlete in the world is currently playing in Toronto and they start it behind a lame-ass CFL game, a rained-out 2nd class golf tournament and meaningless baseball games.

13CP
07-25-2008, 06:33 PM
However, not everyone is a hockey fanatic. I must admit I love my hockey. But I don't need a breakdown of every little thing. Just give me the highlights and move on. Please and thank you.

nobodybeatsthewiz
07-25-2008, 06:35 PM
roogs, dont listen to the fan 590 during the day then, bud, it's FAR FAR FAR worse!

profit89
07-25-2008, 06:38 PM
i stopped watching tsn years ago.. except euros and world cup game coverage

Roogsy
07-25-2008, 06:41 PM
LMAO!

Being a sports fan in this city will drive you to an early grave.

Batman
07-25-2008, 06:59 PM
While we're on the topic, I left the game with about 5 minutes to go last night. I was in the underground lot at the convention center and was worried about how long it would take to exit.

I turned on FAN 590 thinking they'd have something about the game.

What we're they talking about......

you guessed it. Whether Matt Sundin will re sign with the Leafs!

Holy crap... enough already.... the Sundin story has been going on for a year.

Last night we had:
the MLS All Star Game which might not be back for another 10 years.
Pro tennis for their once a year stop
Pro golf for it's (not Quite) once a year stop.

Yet all they could talk about on an evening like that was the Fricken Leafs! after they've already said everthing there is to say about the leafs 1 million times.
My God! what a garbage station.
Can someone please create a SPORTS radio station radio in this city!

ensco
07-25-2008, 07:08 PM
The networks all hype what they carry, and diss what they don't. I'd bet that the guys inside the TSN production team get the joke about TFC, but there's nothing they can do about getting it covered properly. The sportscasts are all now thinly veiled promos. It's sad.

Sportsnet will make you sick with the endless Jays stuff they do, acting as though the team hasn't sunk beneath the waves for the 14th time in a row.

They all carry tons of hockey, so they all talk hockey all the time

Bobo
07-25-2008, 07:22 PM
I don't know why people will bash other networks before this one.

I always try to avoid TSN. I watch CL games in Spanish on TLN if it means not tuning into that station.

I_AM_CANADIAN
07-25-2008, 07:23 PM
I hate them so much, I am only reassured that my decision to never watch that stupid channel (except for Champions League, because I have no choice) is the right decision.

The Score didn't open with the MLS story being tops...but they did make it the third story from the top and they gave it plenty of airtime. Both the ASG and the expansion story.

Same with Sportsnet, and of course because of all the speculation about Vancouver bidding for an expansion spot, the westcoast coverage had a substantial amount.

TSN?

They opened with a meaningless game in the CFL (of course...because they carry CFL), then went to tennis THEN went to coverage of not one but SEVERAL baseball games.

Only THEN did they dedicate what must have been a good, solid, all-encompassing 10 seconds to the MLS All Star Game, where 9 seconds of it must have had Beckham's face on TV.

TSN is the worst sports station in Toronto...by a friggin' country mile.
I hate CTV/TSN. Their hockey commentators suck (Chris Cuthbert being the one exception), they stole the Hockey Night In Canada song, and CTV buy up the rights for all these sports shows and then stick them on their cable channel, and on the actual CTV they show garbage nobody wants to watch.:mad: Their coverage of the 2006 World Cup pissed me off to no end, they buy the rights and only show the final on CTV. I was lucky that Omni 1 & 2 were also showing the games, watching football in languages I don't understand is better than not watching it at all...

MG42
07-25-2008, 07:27 PM
TSN is a terrible sports network, with THE WORST anchormen/panelists/commentators etc etc...the only thing that could make them worse is if Mike Toth went there.

13CP
07-25-2008, 07:30 PM
Ok, so basically I want to be a sports broadcaster. Whats good and whats not? This is making me nervous, seems difficult to please everyone.

I_AM_CANADIAN
07-25-2008, 07:36 PM
Don't be as stupid as Pierre McGuire. If you can do that, you'll be okay... ;)

Raging Reggie
07-25-2008, 07:51 PM
yea TSN has pissed me off on more than a few occasions, a few times i had to go to work and set my VCR to tape some games and the just bumped soccer/football for some other shit and changed the time, the always do that, other sports are always interrupted for our sport, it pisses me off to no end! i could understand if it was a game in progress of another kind, how fucked up that would be to just end a game they are already showing to the start of another one, but it hasnt been shit like that, fuck TSN, plus the other networks have some hotter girls on it anyways.....

13CP
07-25-2008, 07:54 PM
yea TSN has pissed me off on more than a few occasions, a few times i had to go to work and set my VCR to tape some games and the just bumped soccer/football for some other shit and changed the time, the always do that, other sports are always interrupted for our sport, it pisses me off to no end! i could understand if it was a game in progress of another kind, how fucked up that would be to just end a game they are already showing to the start of another one, but it hasnt been shit like that, fuck TSN, plus the other networks have some hotter girls on it anyways.....

Lol oh my........

Raging Reggie
07-25-2008, 08:00 PM
hahah hey now, what can i say its true, that girl from the score that does drive this? she hot what can i say. But in all honestly the past couple years i have always found myself going to sportsnet or the score over TSN for anything recently. Booo TSN, just get a job at one of those stations if you go into broadcasting 13CP!

Raging Reggie
07-25-2008, 08:01 PM
^^^ oh and BTW, if Kanu signs as a DP for TFC, you can always say you broke the story first here and slap that on your resume!!!!

13CP
07-25-2008, 08:02 PM
Well for the next couple of months (starting august 11th) I'll be working at Rogers, shadowing broadcasts and doing technical stuff. Most likely sportnet I guess.

If Kanu comes here, Im taking 1% of what he's getting paid.

Smenge
07-25-2008, 08:14 PM
TSN will put emphasis on the sport that has signed a television contract with the station: like the CFL. Since they don't have the rights to TFC games, why are you surprised they hardly mention the team?.....dude, it is all about advertising dollars, that is the fucking world we live in.

Raging Reggie
07-25-2008, 08:16 PM
Well for the next couple of months (starting august 11th) I'll be working at Rogers, shadowing broadcasts and doing technical stuff. Most likely sportnet I guess.

If Kanu comes here, Im taking 1% of what he's getting paid.

alright, sportsnet is good, if it was TSN im sorry we cant be friends on these boards anymore.

a 1% signing bonus for you? Sounds like your dad is a good agent, not only doing the real estate but also getting you signing bonuses for promoting hype on these message boards...

Roogsy
07-25-2008, 08:54 PM
TSN will put emphasis on the sport that has signed a television contract with the station: like the CFL. Since they don't have the rights to TFC games, why are you surprised they hardly mention the team?.....dude, it is all about advertising dollars, that is the fucking world we live in.

Yeah, it is. And in this "fucking world" I can rant about TSN and I can choose not to watch them, hoping that others do the same and TSN either dies or goes groveling back to the fans.

Don Julio
07-25-2008, 09:47 PM
TSN may well suck, but come on. All Star games are like the celebrity gossip columns of the sports world. Why would you put them before games that are actually played competitively and have actual implications? It'd be like leading the broadcast with professional wrestling.

Ladies Love Julius James
07-25-2008, 09:52 PM
Here's why I watch TSN. Mrs. Jennifer Hedger

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Fs9U6AqTlKw

NSFW

Canary Canuck
07-25-2008, 10:39 PM
You may have noticed that TSN has single handedly managed to brainwash all of Canada into believing that the World Junior Hockey Championship is actually a big deal. Even hockey loving countries in Europe don't give a rat's ass about it but TSN hypes it into something it certainly is not... yet it bugs me when hockey people will say "nobody cares about the world cup" when they really mean nobody within their narror frame of reference likes the world cup. Keep on watchin' the WJHC cuz you're allllll alone on that one!

TFC07
07-25-2008, 10:44 PM
TSN sucks! I don't watch it unless soccer or basketball games are on. I usually watch the score to get my highlights.

I_AM_CANADIAN
07-25-2008, 10:47 PM
I don't care at all about the World Championships or the World Juniors, they're like the football equivalent of the reserve cup. Big whoop...

NateDoGG
07-25-2008, 10:56 PM
bbc world had a good highlight reel of the match

colman1860
07-25-2008, 11:34 PM
TSN may well suck, but come on. All Star games are like the celebrity gossip columns of the sports world. Why would you put them before games that are actually played competitively and have actual implications? It'd be like leading the broadcast with professional wrestling.

Because TSN would have multiple drawn out orgasms about the NHL allstar game which isnt even sold out unless its played in Canada.

e_mcarthur89
07-25-2008, 11:42 PM
You may have noticed that TSN has single handedly managed to brainwash all of Canada into believing that the World Junior Hockey Championship is actually a big deal. Even hockey loving countries in Europe don't give a rat's ass about it but TSN hypes it into something it certainly is not... yet it bugs me when hockey people will say "nobody cares about the world cup" when they really mean nobody within their narror frame of reference likes the world cup. Keep on watchin' the WJHC cuz you're allllll alone on that one!

If you ever watched a game you'd realize it's some of the best hockey to watch all year. The world junior games are great to watch, always lots of hits and physical play, great hockey.

windsorlad111
07-25-2008, 11:47 PM
bbc world had a good highlight reel of the match

that's because the bbc is quality.

you have to remember that we are a new sport in North America, competing against the giant sports of hockey, baseball, basketball and armoured wankball. If it takes years to get us on the radar then so be it. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Dirk Diggler
07-25-2008, 11:47 PM
I sort of agree with most of the TSN bashing except they clearly cater to what most of their audiences demand. Same with ESPN. Heck, they were the official broadcasters of the game. I'm quite certain that MLS All-Star game coverage was trumped by Brett Favre, baseball, WNBA brawl, baseball, A-Rod and Madonna, baseball and probably Arena Football League just for good measure. It's really not a big deal.

ilikemusic
07-25-2008, 11:51 PM
While TSN is pathetic for soccer coverage (with the only exceptions being Champions League, Euros and Worlds) I still really like the network.

I do find it really funny though that so many people in Canada disparagingly refer to it as the Toronto Sports Network and they give the most popular new team in Toronto inarguably far less coverage than either of the other two national broadcasters.

Canary Canuck
07-25-2008, 11:52 PM
If you ever watched a game you'd realize it's some of the best hockey to watch all year. The world junior games are great to watch, always lots of hits and physical play, great hockey.

You completely missed the point. My comment had nothing to do with the quality of play. My point was that this is a nothing event in the world that nobody outside of Canada cares about yet TSN leads everyone to believe that it's some international sporting spectacle.

e_mcarthur89
07-25-2008, 11:56 PM
You completely missed the point. My comment had nothing to do with the quality of play. My point was that this is a nothing event in the world that nobody outside of Canada cares about yet TSN leads everyone to believe that it's some international sporting spectacle.

It's basically all of the world's best amateur hockey players playing in a big tourney. Future greats making a name for themselves for the first time. And why should TSN care about what other countries think about the tourney? Canada loves its hockey and outside of the NHL playoffs and arguably the Olympics this is the best hockey out there.

profit89
07-26-2008, 06:02 AM
that's because the bbc is quality.

you have to remember that we are a new sport in North America, competing against the giant sports of hockey, baseball, basketball and armoured wankball. If it takes years to get us on the radar then so be it. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Jim Rome?

yellowfellow
07-26-2008, 07:21 AM
You figure they will show Champions League LIVE, right? Noooooooooo, they rather show curling...

I_AM_CANADIAN
07-26-2008, 10:27 AM
Not only that, but they and The Score are under the impression that the only teams anyone in the world cares about are the big four in the Premiership. I mean, "The Footy Show?" Give me a break. They only ever talk about four teams, Liverpool, Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal.

Canary Canuck
07-26-2008, 10:38 AM
Not only that, but they and The Score are under the impression that the only teams anyone in the world cares about are the big four in the Premiership. I mean, "The Footy Show?" Give me a break. They only ever talk about four teams, Liverpool, Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal.

I share your beef because I'd like to see a variety of games but those teams get the best TV ratings. ESPN has compiled years of data to back it up. More people tend to hop on the bandwagons of EPL teams because that league is the most visible in North America. For what it's worth there's always a significant spike in ratings when ManUre plays because they're the biggest bandwagon in North America.

MrHawk
07-26-2008, 02:18 PM
TSN - The Sidney Network

13CP
07-26-2008, 02:20 PM
^ lol well if you are a young lady who has the hots for this guy, its your favourite channel.

rocker
07-26-2008, 02:21 PM
TSN doesn't just "reflect" an interest in hockey. It's not like they are some neutral transmission mechanism for hockey and people just naturally like to watch it so much.

TSN totally cultivates that interest too. It goes both ways.. people like hockey, yes, but TSN goes wayyyyy beyond simply reporting hockey to essentially being a promotion system for more and more interest.

If TSN started doing promos 24 hours a day saying "SOCCER IS CANADA'S GAME" .. or having Julian De Guzman and De Rosario in ads for the Nutrilite Canadian Championship talking about the "OUR PASSION, OUR GAME, SOCCER!", and showing Soccer Night in Canada they'd start to cultivate that same interest.

If they show some footy on their channel, it's so disconnected from everything. But with hockey they do all the storylines, the pregame, postgame... deadline day... etc etc... those stories make people get clued into hockey more... like a soap opera. they never do that for soccer.

13CP
07-26-2008, 02:25 PM
I won't lie. I love hockey. But your right, they go way overboard. They do so much reporting that all I want it the game and highlights, nothing more. Too much of one thing gets you sick of it. Need change.

MrHawk
07-26-2008, 02:27 PM
Full day coverage of draft day, free agent day, trade deadline day, the lockout day, Sidney Crosby Day, Pierre Loves Sidney/Dion Day, Pond Hockey Day, buying hockey equipment day.

Oh and Poker

Ladies Love Julius James
07-26-2008, 02:28 PM
Full day coverage of draft day, free agent day, trade deadline day, the lockout day, Sidney Crosby Day, Pierre Loves Sidney/Dion Day, Pond Hockey Day, buying hockey equipment day.

Oh and Poker

And when all that aint on...the Westminster Dog Show.

13CP
07-26-2008, 02:29 PM
Must say, "Double Dion" was pretty cool :P

James Oliphant
07-26-2008, 02:31 PM
My point was that this is a nothing event in the world that nobody outside of Canada cares about

Good thing TSN is inside Canada, eh?

MrHawk
07-26-2008, 02:31 PM
And when all that aint on...the Westminster Dog Show.

I remember when RAW used to be Pre-Empted for that.

Raging Reggie
07-26-2008, 02:32 PM
Dont forget the iron man competition stuff of guys ripped on steriods tossing tree logs in the air and pulling cars with chains. That shit is way more popular than the beautiful game....

13CP
07-26-2008, 02:34 PM
Used to love watching that with my dad. "Those guys are pumped with air, wanna bet?"

MrHawk
07-26-2008, 02:38 PM
Dont forget the iron man competition stuff of guys ripped on steriods tossing tree logs in the air and pulling cars with chains. That shit is way more popular than the beautiful game....

HAHAHAHA Where they would show 2 hours of guys chopping wood

rocker
07-26-2008, 02:40 PM
what's the deal with poker on TV? does it give people great excitement and a rush to watch that shit?
I find it so boring. At least bowling is a sport. At least wrestling offers some physical activity.

The Pope
07-26-2008, 02:43 PM
Here's why I watch TSN. Mrs. Jennifer Hedger

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Fs9U6AqTlKw

NSFW

I was sure I was about to be RickRolled....i'm pleasently surprised

Ladies Love Julius James
07-26-2008, 02:49 PM
I remember when RAW used to be Pre-Empted for that.

Ya LOL or sometimes they'd start raw late cause of Curling.

RealG-TFC
07-26-2008, 02:54 PM
Hedger dated the former captain of the Canadian National Soccer Team, Jason DeVos (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_DeVos) and she is now married to rival Rogers Sportsnet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogers_Sportsnet) anchor Sean McCormick (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_McCormick).

:noidea:

Raging Reggie
07-26-2008, 02:56 PM
i think that girl on the score, sara whatever her name is on drive this is the hottest one out of TSN/Sportsnet/The Score.

smokin!

13CP
07-26-2008, 02:58 PM
This:

http://www.darlington-fc.premiumtv.co.uk/javaImages/9b/ff/0,,10339~3211163,00.jpg

To this:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/bios/2008/05/06/sean_mccormick_150x217_150.jpg

Raging Reggie
07-26-2008, 03:00 PM
^^^ looks like it was a rebound that stuck!

Ladies Love Julius James
07-26-2008, 03:00 PM
I was sure I was about to be RickRolled....i'm pleasently surprised

Nah bro I don't do that internet viral stuff. That's legit stuff from 6 years back. She kissed a girl and she liked it.

kitchener-TFC
07-26-2008, 05:17 PM
I know someone who works behind the scenes at Sportsnet, and I asked if they're gonna do more TFC coverage. His answer was that they do get good viewer attendance records for games, but their focus is on hockey and baseball.

RPB_Brantford_08
07-26-2008, 05:25 PM
CBC is not much better then TSN, just watched the all star game and the amount of picture freezes on the CBC telecast was a joke...lasting 4 seconns at a shot there had to be at least 40-50 off them.

RealG-TFC
07-26-2008, 05:27 PM
CBC is not much better then TSN, just watched the all star game and the amount of picture freezes on the CBC telecast was a joke...lasting 4 seconns at a shot there had to be at least 40-50 off them.

-_- Considering TSN has NEVER shown a Toronto FC game, I strongly disagree with that.

tfcleeds
07-26-2008, 05:30 PM
Yes, TSN sucks, but ironically, it was TSN that helped get me into soccer back when they had shows like the Soccer News and Soccer Saturday with Graham Leggatt.

RPB_Brantford_08
07-26-2008, 05:33 PM
-_- Considering TSN has NEVER shown a Toronto FC game, I strongly disagree with that.

but TSN never freezes...they might not cover TFC the way we would like but looking at the ratings on TFC's other networks thats no surprise, the canadian soccer public is slow to the cause in helping keep footie on the telly. With the Jays dead, as far as playoffs goes, you would think some fans would try and catch TFC's playoff run...we still have a chance!!

blindbaby
07-26-2008, 06:08 PM
This:

http://www.darlington-fc.premiumtv.co.uk/javaImages/9b/ff/0,,10339%7E3211163,00.jpg

To this:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/bios/2008/05/06/sean_mccormick_150x217_150.jpg

Maybe Seans got a........nah, forget it.

dag
07-26-2008, 09:15 PM
B R I L L I A N T thread. Thanks fo the laughs.

I agree with a LOT of what was said here.

Pachuco
07-26-2008, 09:55 PM
The
Shite
Network