PDA

View Full Version : Game 33 - Beeturia Time - TFC Host Columbus Sat 17 Oct 2 pm TSN

OgtheDim
10-14-2015, 11:59 AM
:scarf:

Its a few days and a game away but I'm getting all feisty about this game.

Win. Nothing else is acceptable. And, we should win.

GonfiaLaRete
10-14-2015, 12:35 PM
:scarf:

Its a few days and a game away but I'm getting all feisty about this game.

Win. Nothing else is acceptable. And, we should win.

F*** Columbus!!

Fort York Redcoat
10-14-2015, 01:16 PM
F*** Columbus!!

Fuck Columbus, indeed.

And there is only one word here that's temporarily automatically censored.

(I had to check)g:D

Here's to Seba catching and passing Kamara's score tally!:scarf:

MartinUtd
10-14-2015, 01:19 PM
What's the word? Don't make me start guessing :p

Mateo1985
10-14-2015, 01:20 PM
Thumbs Up for Fuck Columbus!!!

FRANKIE65
10-14-2015, 01:47 PM
Picked up 4 extra tickets for this game! Win this one, and, a home p...... game is very possible!

OgtheDim
10-14-2015, 02:05 PM

Making the yellow piss turn red (not from blood)

Initial B
10-14-2015, 02:48 PM
And if they win by 2 goals, TFC gets the Trillium Cup back. Not sure if that's possible with Kei Kamara vs the TFC backline, but let's dream...

Fort York Redcoat
10-14-2015, 03:23 PM
And if they win by 2 goals, TFC gets the Trillium Cup back. Not sure if that's possible with Kei Kamara vs the TFC backline, but let's dream...

OMG Trillium dreams....

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CFTAW1XWoAAlj8g.jpg

Dunkers
10-14-2015, 08:51 PM

Do you not read these boards? With 6,876 posts, you haven't once tried to write the word p l a y o f f s and had it change to p*****

pdubs
10-14-2015, 08:56 PM
fuck the piss stains

ensco
10-14-2015, 09:00 PM
Win this one, and, a home p...... game is very possible!

Actually, it's guaranteed. They will be no worse than 4th, with a win Saturday

OgtheDim
10-14-2015, 09:48 PM
In theory, we could lock up 2nd this weekend but first things first. Beat Columbus.

T-boy
10-14-2015, 10:08 PM
NE are playing Impact this coming weekend - this is a good time for two of our rivals to be taking points from each other! Crew play DC in the final week - there are lots of ways that TFC can still lock up at least 4th right now even without a perfect season end.

DOMIN8R
10-14-2015, 10:28 PM
No Jozy, no Bradley - maybe, and maybe no Perquis. We seem to have the depth and be firing on all cylinders at the right time. So, perhaps....? Same formation with Kantari for Perquis & Hercules and Gio up top, No?

OgtheDim
10-14-2015, 10:29 PM
I know this is all a big IF and I'm not expecting it to happen.

If we win

&

Chicago beats DCU

&

Montreal ties or beats NER

we have 2nd wrapped up and can take it easy in Montreal.

FRANKIE65
10-15-2015, 05:55 AM
Actually, it's guaranteed. They will be no worse than 4th, with a win Saturday

Yupper, but, I wrote that prior to last night's amazing victory. What a moment!!!

Oldtimer
10-15-2015, 11:02 AM

We get the Trillium Cup and a guaranteed home playoff date. The motivation must be there.

notthesun
10-15-2015, 11:06 AM
We get the Trillium Cup and a guaranteed home playoff date. The motivation must be there.

And Giovinco can take the lead on Kamara in the golden boot race. This should be a fun one.

On Perquis, he made a post on Instagram (https://instagram.com/p/8156-zgKVr/) and said "Unfortunately, but it's not sure, I get a bad injury tonight". We'll probably be getting news on him soon and it might be some pretty bad news.

chbu12
10-15-2015, 11:22 AM
Huge respect to all of you in 112 last night (from a 114 regular). Best collaboration + energy I've seen this season, let's do it again on Saturday and make a difference!

CanadaLFC
10-15-2015, 11:36 AM
Remember when we were a non-playoff team and cared about things like the Trillium cup? We don't have to now.

Damn that feels good to say!

Let's beat the piss stains!

Cashcleaner
10-15-2015, 11:44 AM
We're gonna murder Columbus. Mark it down. We are riding a HUGE wave right now. We just beat the number 1 team in the East, the whole city is geared up for playoffs across two sports, and even though they're only two points behind Toronto, the Crew haven't been getting the results they've been wanting lately. They're coming off two consecutive losses against New York and Portland, and actually have a -3 Goal Differential over their past 5 games. I think we're gonna pick up the full 3 points on Saturday and will cap off the season with another 3 points in Montreal.

ronzilla
10-15-2015, 11:50 AM
Perquis was fucking outstanding up until he got injured. Hope its not serious and would like to see him back for colubmus.

Seba winning the Golden Boot and MVP would be incredible. Hope he bags a brace.

Oldtimer
10-15-2015, 11:57 AM
We're gonna murder Columbus. Mark it down. We are riding a HUGE wave right now. We just beat the number 1 team in the East, the whole city is geared up for playoffs across two sports, and even though they're only two points behind Toronto, the Crew haven't been getting the results they've been wanting lately. They're coming off two consecutive losses against New York and Portland, and actually have a -3 Goal Differential over their past 5 games. I think we're gonna pick up the full 3 points on Saturday and will cap off the season with another 3 points in Montreal.

You might realize it's extremely unlikely, but we're still in the running for the Supporters Shield. 2 wins and a whole pile of other results going our way and it could theoretically happen.

GonfiaLaRete
10-15-2015, 12:04 PM
Perquis was fucking outstanding up until he got injured. Hope its not serious and would like to see him back for colubmus.

Seba winning the Golden Boot and MVP would be incredible. Hope he bags a brace.

Perquis on instagram said he thinks it is serious! Sounds like he might be done for the year

Yohan
10-15-2015, 12:43 PM
Perquis on instagram said he thinks it is serious! Sounds like he might be done for the year

that's unfortunate. Vanney finally found his first team back 4 and Perquis go down... we're going to miss his passing ability from the back. Kantari is good, but he's pretty much same kind of defender as Williams except left footed.

T-boy
10-15-2015, 12:57 PM

Perquis has improved all season - took him a while to find his feet in the MLS (as it does many foreign players new to the league) but he has steadily improved. I actually thought he was having an outstanding game list night prior to his injury - probably best I've seen him.

It would be very unfortunately to lose him right now, but I can imagine he may miss the rest of the season, so sad :(

TheGoodson
10-15-2015, 01:32 PM
I just want a win....

ronzilla
10-15-2015, 02:12 PM
I'm sure Vanney is going to try protect Seba and sub him off early, but at the same time, Seba is going for the Golden Boot. There could be some conflict here, depending on the circumstances. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

PopePouri
10-15-2015, 02:15 PM
Seba starts I'm sure. He hasn't that many minutes between last night's game and Italy.

OgtheDim
10-15-2015, 02:18 PM
Seba knows this is the chance to get the lead on the goal scorer's list over Kamara. He starts and finishes. And, he would run up the score if he thought he was getting close to 27.

ronzilla
10-15-2015, 02:21 PM
Seba starts I'm sure. He hasn't that many minutes between last night's game and Italy.

Has nothing to do with starting. That is so obvious. It's a question if Vanney subs off Giovinco early.

molenshtain
10-15-2015, 02:23 PM
Has nothing to do with starting. That is so obvious. It's a question if Vanney subs off Giovinco early.

why would he? Giovinco's played less than 90 minutes since our last home game two weeks ago

PopePouri
10-15-2015, 02:28 PM
I'm sure Vanney is going to try protect Seba and sub him off early, but at the same time, Seba is going for the Golden Boot. There could be some conflict here, depending on the circumstances. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I'm not sure what you're seeing but Seba's barely been subbed off all season.

ronzilla
10-15-2015, 02:33 PM
Ugg.

Look. The Reds have clinched a play.off spot, so Vanney may not give Seba the full 90 minutes in both remaining games to prevent any potential injury to Seba. Vanney did sub him off in 1 game and Seba wasn't too happy about it. He is going for the golden boot so less playing time could mean less goals.

OgtheDim
10-15-2015, 04:30 PM
Weather

7 degrees feeling like 5

Colder then last night

Winds out of the NW at 11 km/h

20% chance of rain

Jays game starts at 4:07

Hamilton_Red
10-15-2015, 05:12 PM
Can't take our foot off the gas - we need to secure second place and home playoffs/bye... Plus you don't want to mess with the momentum going in to the playoffs. We actually have a tiny chance of catching NYRB - you don't give up on that. Any word on Bradley?

ronzilla
10-15-2015, 07:27 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CRYj5ILU8AADl77.png

SoccMan2
10-15-2015, 07:36 PM
So the Jays game starts at 407PM our game starts at 2 so I guess the mass exodus instead of starting as it usually does around the 75th. minute will start a few minutes into the second half so fans can get home in time to watch the Jays game lol.

molenshtain
10-15-2015, 07:37 PM
So the Jays game starts at 407PM our game starts at 2 so I guess the mass exodus instead of starting as it usually does around the 75th. minute will start a few minutes into the second half so fans can get home in time to watch the Jays game lol.

I doubt people are gonna care that much if they miss the first few innings.

Lennon
10-15-2015, 09:20 PM
Can't take our foot off the gas - we need to secure second place and home playoffs/bye... Plus you don't want to mess with the momentum going in to the playoffs. We actually have a tiny chance of catching NYRB - you don't give up on that. Any word on Bradley?

+1

Getting a bye in the first round would be huge. A win on Saturday would almost guarantee it ! (98%)

Cashcleaner
10-15-2015, 11:19 PM
You might realize it's extremely unlikely, but we're still in the running for the Supporters Shield. 2 wins and a whole pile of other results going our way and it could theoretically happen.

http://i1270.photobucket.com/albums/jj601/original6910/cereal-guy-cereal-guy-spitting_zps38d04492.jpg

Oh my Lord, you're right! I mean, the odds are stacked against us, but yeah, it's possible!

GonfiaLaRete
10-16-2015, 08:54 AM
Please let us crush the piss stains. I am calling Gomez adds on to his goal last week and a Jackson Howitzer or an Osorio bicycle kick goal off of a delgado cross!

Detroit_TFC
10-16-2015, 11:02 AM
Really hope the prospect of a top seeding is enough to keep the motivation high for the guys. Two very winnable games.

OgtheDim
10-16-2015, 11:29 AM
https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/655056665901969408

ag futbol
10-16-2015, 02:20 PM
If we win that's 5 straight. New team record?

notthesun
10-16-2015, 02:28 PM
If we win that's 5 straight. New team record?

Already broke it on Wednesday. That was the first time we'd ever won 4 in a row. I'm up for setting a new one again though. :D

No Whitecaps game tomorrow which means we should be getting Wileman on the call for the broadcast. Could be wrong but it feels like forever since he's called a TFC game.

Auzzy
10-16-2015, 02:38 PM
I hope TFC can keep the intensity up after clinching the playoffs. Columbus has been inconsistent, but often they are very dangerous. Osorio would be a big loss, fingers crossed. I hope Kantari can prove something in Perquis' absence.

ronzilla
10-16-2015, 03:03 PM
Giovinco and Gomez are going to do serious damage up front. If the team give's the same performance as RB game, this will be a comfortable win.

I'm calling a 3-1 win.

jloome
10-17-2015, 01:45 AM
I hope TFC can keep the intensity up after clinching the playoffs. Columbus has been inconsistent, but often they are very dangerous. Osorio would be a big loss, fingers crossed. I hope Kantari can prove something in Perquis' absence.

Be good to see us in a 442 (or a wide 4231) with Morgan and Delgado on the wings again; Columbus spends most of their time out wide trying to feed crosses in to Kamara and having, effectively, four wingbacks on the field will make that very hard. Have Bradley keep Higuain honest; if Oso can play start him behind Seba, in the hole.

-----------Seba---------
-Morgan---Osorio---Delgado
----Cheyrou----Bradley-----
Morrow--Kantari--Williams--Jackson

What happened to Hagglund, anyway? Hasn't had a sniff in months.

MightyDM
10-17-2015, 06:20 AM
Be good to see us in a 442 (or a wide 4231) with Morgan and Delgado on the wings again; Columbus spends most of their time out wide trying to feed crosses in to Kamara and having, effectively, four wingbacks on the field will make that very hard. Have Bradley keep Higuain honest; if Oso can play start him behind Seba, in the hole.

-----------Seba---------
-Morgan---Osorio---Delgado
----Cheyrou----Bradley-----
Morrow--Kantari--Williams--Jackson

What happened to Hagglund, anyway? Hasn't had a sniff in months.

Last game Delgado was culpable on NYC's goal- he was essentially ball watching and got pulled away from his man. We might see Warner this game instead, with Oso wide, if he can play. Although I thought Warner was only ok last game, he is less likely than Delgado to make that kind of mistake. I like Morgan on the wing although agree that he and Morrow got in each other's way once or twice. Nice thing is we have options.

OgtheDim
10-17-2015, 06:29 AM
:scarf: Game Day

Weather

6 degrees - 40% chance of rain winds out of the NW at 17 km/h

i.e. COLD

Subway closure between Lawrence and Bloor on the Yonge Line. Usual Gardiner restrictions.

FRANKIE65
10-17-2015, 07:09 AM
:scarf: Game Day

Weather

6 degrees - 40% chance of rain winds out of the NW at 17 km/h

i.e. COLD

Subway closure between Lawrence and Bloor on the Yonge Line. Usual Gardiner restrictions.

Woo-Hoo!! Pumped for this one, with, second place, at the end of the season, a very real possibility. WE SING FOR YOU NO MATTER RAIN OR SNOW!!!!!

Yohan
10-17-2015, 07:59 AM
I'd go flat 4-4-2 and attack Crew CBs. Crew D has been just as bad as TFC this year and even Will Trapp hasn't been able to stop the bleeding. Stop Higuain from feeding Kamara from the centre, stop Kamara from getting on to crosses from the flanks and use 2 strikers to attack Crew CBs. Should be easy 3 pts.

T-boy
10-17-2015, 10:09 AM
There's only one thing to do today - that's wear all nine SSH scarfs! :p

OgtheDim
10-17-2015, 10:12 AM
Today may be the day when we see if Hercules Gomez is the upgrade on Gilberto we've been looking for in our 3rd striker. After that game on Wednesday, he deserves the start beside Seba

ManUtd4ever
10-17-2015, 10:33 AM
I hope Osorio is good to go. He is key to our attacking prowess.

jloome
10-17-2015, 11:42 AM
Last game Delgado was culpable on NYC's goal- he was essentially ball watching and got pulled away from his man. We might see Warner this game instead, with Oso wide, if he can play. Although I thought Warner was only ok last game, he is less likely than Delgado to make that kind of mistake. I like Morgan on the wing although agree that he and Morrow got in each other's way once or twice. Nice thing is we have options.

One mistake in a game doesn't change the fact that Marky Delgado is a better wide defender than Colin Warner. He played most of a season at Chivas at RB, whereas Warner has limited time as a winger in Montreal and RSL.

portu
10-17-2015, 11:45 AM
Today may be the day when we see if Hercules Gomez is the upgrade on Gilberto we've been looking for in our 3rd striker. After that game on Wednesday, he deserves the start beside Seba
Lol upgrade on Gilberto? Are you kidding me? I'd argue he's hardly an upgrade on Findley or Luke Moore

Auzzy
10-17-2015, 11:48 AM
We have an 11-4-1 home record this season. Holy shit I didn't realize that.

OgtheDim
10-17-2015, 11:49 AM
From what I saw on Wednesday, he's way better than Moore and Findley. Hopefully, we'll see today.

jloome
10-17-2015, 11:54 AM
From what I saw on Wednesday, he's way better than Moore and Findley. Hopefully, we'll see today.

Findley really has turned into a winger or outside forward, but he has a good work rate and is effective in the buildup and defending. Moore has been injured and on bereavement league for most of the season, so hard to say.

Gomez certainly has a good work rate, though, and was effective last game. Seems a good addition to me, but not a Gilberto-level talent. He's playing well for Chicago; they're talking about building around him next season.

notthesun
10-17-2015, 12:18 PM
Starting XI: Bendik; Morrow, Kantari, Williams, Jackson; Cheyrou, Warner; Findley, Bradley, Delgado; Giovinco.

Bench: Konopka, Morgan, Hagglund, Zavaleta, Chapman, Gomez, Moore.

I'm a bit surprised, actually. Didn't expect Bendik and I thought we would go back to a 4-4-2 to keep Gomez in the starters.

portu
10-17-2015, 12:40 PM
Starting XI: Bendik; Morrow, Kantari, Williams, Jackson; Cheyrou, Warner; Findley, Bradley, Delgado; Giovinco.

I'm a bit surprised, actually. Didn't expect Bendik and I thought we would go back to a 4-4-2 to keep Gomez in the starters.
Maybe keeping Bendik match sharp going into the playoffs?

ronzilla
10-17-2015, 12:56 PM
Bendik? wtf..

jloome
10-17-2015, 01:14 PM

Changing formation yet again. That usually doesn't help us.

EDIT: Oh, that's clever; Columbus uses Higuain to build out of the back and having Bradley in the hole means we can shut down their distribution from the back line.

pdubs
10-17-2015, 01:18 PM
What's the formation looking like? I am having technical difficulties lol.

Sucks that Osorio is banged up.

jloome
10-17-2015, 01:24 PM
Seba looks a little nervy; touch has been off so far.

It's a 4411 with Bradley behind Seba.

pdubs
10-17-2015, 01:33 PM
I don't understand the gameplan. Punt the ball to the 5'4" striker

pdubs
10-17-2015, 01:35 PM
Uh so close. As long as we stay solid in the back, we look good.

notthesun
10-17-2015, 01:42 PM
Kantari's long balls are unfortunately pretty awful. We do lose a bit having him in there instead of Perquis.

jloome
10-17-2015, 01:47 PM
Bradley is working hard today but he's not sharp.

pdubs
10-17-2015, 01:49 PM
Jackson is a work horse.

notthesun
10-17-2015, 01:50 PM
Combinations in midfield are not there today so far. Way too many giveaways right now.

pdubs
10-17-2015, 01:51 PM
Big save Bendik.

notthesun
10-17-2015, 01:52 PM
That is such horseshit man. I knew they were going to score as soon as they awarded the corner. Morrow CLEARLY fouled in the box and they don't call anything.

pdubs
10-17-2015, 01:53 PM
Ugh.

ag futbol
10-17-2015, 01:53 PM
Poor first half so far. Definitely miss Osorio in the midfield. Bradley needs to take more initiative: we're not paying you DP money to lay off the ball and connect 3 yard passes.

jloome
10-17-2015, 01:55 PM
We're working hard this half, we're just playing really nervous: poor touches, short passes.

adam1001
10-17-2015, 02:00 PM
Really hoping we can get it together in the second half. If we want a home playoff match, it's crucial that we get some points out of this game.

jloome
10-17-2015, 02:00 PM
Kind of a bullshit goal, but we can still come back and win this.

ag futbol
10-17-2015, 02:01 PM
Bill Manning coming up apparently ...

notthesun
10-17-2015, 02:01 PM
Passing has to improve, losing possession far too often in midfield. Findley has lost every ball he's received.

Need to improve a lot in the 2nd, but it should still be 0-0. That corner kick was a gift from the ref.

Should take Findley off and put Gomez in.

ag futbol
10-17-2015, 02:09 PM
Wide play is letting us down. When a fullback gets the ball with yards and yards of space they have to use that to run at the defence and cross the ball into the box. Morrow lacks the conviction to run defenders, same with Delgado. They had plenty of opportunities to create things in that first half but instead their slow decision making resulted in nothing but a bunch of back passes and cycling the ball through the centre of a crowded midfield.

Sub Delgado for Gomez. Push Findley out wide and tell these guys to step it up.

notthesun
10-17-2015, 02:11 PM
We came back on these guys from 3-0 down in their building already this year. We can win this game but we have to play much better than that first half. Columbus has had problems at the back all year.

notthesun
10-17-2015, 02:24 PM
Hate to say it but Giovinco is looking pretty off today for whatever reason.

ag futbol
10-17-2015, 02:30 PM
They are going to get a 2nd if we don't snap out of it soon

pdubs
10-17-2015, 02:31 PM
Need to change something. Put Herc in eh.

ronzilla
10-17-2015, 02:35 PM
Fuck finally Gomez in.

pdubs
10-17-2015, 02:36 PM
Going for the point.

pdubs
10-17-2015, 02:40 PM
There is the Bradley we know.

pdubs
10-17-2015, 02:47 PM
Pure slop.

ag futbol
10-17-2015, 02:49 PM
WTF is Morrow doing? Clear the ball

ag futbol
10-17-2015, 03:01 PM
Never deserved anything from this one. Poor performance.

pdubs
10-17-2015, 03:02 PM
How the fuck did he get that shot off. Pissed but what a goal lol.

Qman
10-17-2015, 03:02 PM
Never deserved anything from this one. Poor performance.

FUCKKK! not exactly rolling into the playoffs

ensco
10-17-2015, 03:03 PM
Got to admire Higuain there. Brute force, then the perfect touch. You don't see both in the same play every day.

jloome
10-17-2015, 03:04 PM
FUCKKK! not exactly rolling into the playoffs

I'm not sure why on a five-game roll we'd so dramatically change our tactical approach for a single game.

tfcfans
10-17-2015, 03:04 PM
We likely just threw away a home playoff game as well ---- we are likely 5th after tomorrow based on NE and DC at home against lesser teams......unbelievable.....

mowe
10-17-2015, 03:05 PM
We played like shit, totally deserved to lose. Vanney followed up a flawless game on Wednesday with some questionable decisions today.

This one game could have huge implications on our playoff chances.

PAOK17
10-17-2015, 03:05 PM
The worst part about this game is we could have clinched a home game for playoffs today- but of course we shit the bed.

Oh well we got to the playoffs. And MLSE is happy to charge us for two playoff tickets before we even know there will be a game - without actually saying we will get our money back (though I suspect we would).

marquis
10-17-2015, 03:07 PM
This one is 100% on Vanney. He was totally out coached today.
We really need a real coach next year.

notthesun
10-17-2015, 03:09 PM
Bah.

Just a poor performance today. I don't think this was tactics or selection, we just looked really bad. Poor passing and touch from everyone, we couldn't get a thing going because we lost possession far too often. Vanney made the same subs I would've made and it didn't help.

It's not like these guys are pressing any better than the Red Bulls did. We just could not pass around them at all. And both their goals were pretty cheap (esp. the first which should've been our free kick).

Maybe we were tired from midweek, but this one is on the players IMO.

At least Giovinco has now clinched the Golden Boot with Kamara suspended, and can potentially claim it for himself next week.

Prof
10-17-2015, 03:12 PM
Bah.

Just a poor performance today. I don't think this was tactics or selection, we just looked really bad. Poor passing and touch from everyone, we couldn't get a thing going because we lost possession far too often. Vanney made the same subs I would've made and it didn't help.

It's not like these guys are pressing any better than the Red Bulls did. We just could not pass around them at all. And both their goals were pretty cheap (esp. the first which should've been our free kick).

Maybe we were tired from midweek, but this one is on the players IMO.

At least Giovinco has now clinched the Golden Boot with Kamara suspended, and can potentially claim it for himself next week.

Team looked tired. Especially Giovinco. Nice stop by Clark on free kick.

Yohan
10-17-2015, 03:19 PM
TFC played like they still are hungover from Wed night's partying.

Pretty much everyone had an off night. Can't emphasize how important Osorio is to creating pockets of space for others to play into.

OgtheDim
10-17-2015, 03:28 PM
Well that was awful to watch. And it felt like the last home game.

flatpicker
10-17-2015, 03:37 PM
One of the more uninspired games of the year.
Not a nice way to finish things at home.

burlington Red
10-17-2015, 03:38 PM
Bad team performance. Passing was poor esp bradley and Cheyrou who normally are 2 of our better passers. Moore was effective when he came on.

Hamilton_Red
10-17-2015, 03:40 PM
Another dissapointing performance from Bradley. We needed a leader today - he should have been buzzing after missing the big game mid-week. Very poor performance - pretty sad that most comments rightly point out how much we missed Osario & not how much better we are with our captain. If he play like that for the next few games - maybe we should consider letting him move back to US based team so they can find the national team.

ensco
10-17-2015, 03:40 PM
Playing on Sat afternoon after a Wed night game is not a recipe for looking sharp. Especially for the older players and internationals.

OgtheDim
10-17-2015, 03:46 PM

Nope. Formation was our best shot at reducing their attack. And it mostly worked defensively. But, Every one of the starters played poorly. Delgado in particular. We got out played, not out coached.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-17-2015, 03:55 PM
Nope. Formation was our best shot at reducing their attack. And it mostly worked defensively. But, Every one of the starters played poorly. Delgado in particular. We got out played, not out coached.

Cosign, looked better when we switched to a 4-3-3 but even then our mid disappeared. Disappointed, would have been nice to win. Expected to win this and lose vs NYRB so theres always that.

portu
10-17-2015, 04:03 PM
Could have used Altidore today too bad he was injur.. Oh wait he got suspended because he's a complete dumbass

Areathrasher
10-17-2015, 04:07 PM
Bradley looked awful today. Slow hesitant and off the pace.

Bet he ain't over the groin injury. Thanks Jurgen.

Did anyone else notice a switch to 3-5-2 towards the end of the first half or was I imaging things?

ensco
10-17-2015, 04:09 PM
I am not upset. I want to win every game, but frankly, we were due for a stinker, and a win today would have given the TFC ticket office too much swagger.

Teams 1 through 6 in the east all look inseparable to me. These teams can finish anywhere, and anything can happen.

PopePouri
10-17-2015, 04:09 PM
Bradley looked awful today. Slow hesitant and off the pace.

Bet he ain't over the groin injury. Thanks Jurgen.

Did anyone else notice a switch to 3-5-2 towards the end of the first half or was I imaging things?

It was a flat 4-4-2.

We missed Oso badly. Both Findley and Delgado are very direct players and Bradley needed another body in the final third to combine with.

Initial B
10-17-2015, 05:06 PM
You don't think that this game was meant to be a throw-away, with the TFC FO giving Vanney orders not to try too hard, as they actually want TFC to end up third or fourth to add in an extra home playoff game?

pekduck
10-17-2015, 05:16 PM

Respectively disagree.

He started 4-2-3-1 without Osorio and Gomez. With Delgardo on right and Findley on left to add defensive support to Morrow and Jackson. That's the right formation to contain the Finlay and Keimara duo. Columbus is know to cross ball in from left and right to find Keimara. That's to prevent flank overrun. 2 in Middle is to counter Higuain who does vertical movement with their DM Tchani.

It worked for the most part until set piece 2nd ball, team was ball watching and gifted one to Finlay.

Giovinco is ineffective by himself alone up top and Vanney made 3 perfect justified sub. At 60 min Gomez and Moore. This have the target forward who can hold and flick in Moore in central channel, speedy Gomez on right and Giovinco to left for a 4-3-3 attacking formation to get a goal. We immediate see more chances created from both left and right flanks. Later on, he subbed Delgardo for Zavaletta. This pushes Jackson to the left mid and became goal chasing 3-4-3 with Williams, Zavaletta, and Kantari at the back. Zavaletta is a better aerial threat and he got a weak one in the box later on.

Good tactics, right subs. Just didn't work out.

The 2nd goal, is classic Bendik poor positioning. He's so far out when the first turn over happened, and he never retreat back to his line. Higuain's no-look chip would not be a goal. Of course, Bendik with is reflex did save a couple early on. So it's a wash.

I always cringe whenever there's a med-long range shot outside the box at Bendik because he always find a way to be in the wrong position for those shots. He gives up unexpected goals and saves expected goals due to reflex in the box.

Oldtimer
10-17-2015, 05:25 PM
You don't think that this game was meant to be a throw-away, with the TFC FO giving Vanney orders not to try too hard, as they actually want TFC to end up third or fourth to add in an extra home playoff game?

I doubt it because now TFC needs at least a draw against the Impact to guarantee a home playoff date.

BTW, this loss mathematically knocks TFC out of the Supporters Shield race.

OgtheDim
10-17-2015, 05:35 PM

No.

The talk in the last 2 days was trying to get second. They were just lethargic as shit.

molenshtain
10-17-2015, 07:46 PM
Another dissapointing performance from Bradley. We needed a leader today - he should have been buzzing after missing the big game mid-week. Very poor performance - pretty sad that most comments rightly point out how much we missed Osario & not how much better we are with our captain. If he play like that for the next few games - maybe we should consider letting him move back to US based team so they can find the national team.

Chill out. Everyone has bad games. He's been one of the best 5 CM's in the league this season.

Hamilton_Red
10-17-2015, 07:56 PM
Let's not be foolish here.. TFC get's 1 playoff game...you have to win some to get extra games. We got pissed on by our division rivals at home - riding high with big stakes. No leadership when it counted.

BritSOL
10-17-2015, 08:34 PM
OK, 38 seconds in to the game. A Columbus player passes back the ball to his goalie. He flicks the ball up from his feet and then heads it back to the goalie.

My understanding is that this is not allowed as it is classed a "trickery" to get around the back pass rule. I see it as an indirect free kick should have been awarded to TFC.

I searched and found the following. I highlighted the relevant sections.

The back-pass rule refers to two clauses within Law 12 of the Laws ofthe Game of association football. These clauses prohibit the goalkeeper from handling the ball when a teammate has intentionally “kicked” the ball to him, or handling the ball directly from a teammate’s throw-in.
The actual offence committed is the handling of the ball by the goalkeeper, not the ball being passed back. An indirect free kick is awarded to the opposing team from the place where the offence occurred, i.e., where the goalkeeper handled the ball.
The offence rests on three events occurring in the following sequence:
– The ball is kicked (played with the foot, not the knee, thigh, or shin) by a teammate of the goalkeeper,
– This action is deemed to be deliberate and intentional, rather than a deflection or an miss-kick which is not intended for goalkeepers direction, by the referee
– The goalkeeper handles the ball directly (no intervening touch of play of the ball by anyone else). Handling the ball involves retrieving the ball or making a save with one or both hands.
If, however, in the opinion of the referee, a player uses a deliberate trick in order to circumvent the amendment to Law 12, the player will be guilty of unsporting behavior and will be punished accordingly in terms of Law 12; that is to say, the player will be cautioned and an indirect free-kick will be awarded to the opposing team from the place where the player committed the offense. Examples of such tricks would include: a player who deliberately flicks the ball with his feet up onto his head in order to head the ball to his goalkeeper; or, a player who kneels down and deliberately pushes the ball to the goalkeeper with his knee, etc

jazzy
10-17-2015, 08:53 PM

And who picked the starters?

jazzy
10-17-2015, 08:57 PM
Why do we have a tendency to lose with Bendict in net ?

T-boy
10-17-2015, 08:59 PM
And who picked the starters?

Seba had his worst game of the season IMO, looked like he had concrete in his boots - overhit nearly every pass and every corner all game. Vanney picked him, but who wouldn't pick him? I think we are clutching at straws if we are saying one week that Vanney is great and the next game he's terrible and picked the wrong players.

Let's face it, every single player had a bad game. That happens sometimes. Against NYRB every player had a fantastic game. That's football!

Man Utd looked awful against Arsenal 2 weeks ago, today made Everton look like amateurs. It can happen to any team.

Detroit_TFC
10-17-2015, 09:22 PM
Everything finally caught up with TFC: Seba looked tired and spent way too much time trying to sell fouls to the ref. Bradley clearly not at 100%, probably should have sat today but with no Osorio, not much choice to use him. I can understand the logic behind putting Bendik in but this wasn't the game to do it, should have done it next week. Cheyrou was decent though, was working hard the whole game.

Hopefully a week will revive the squad. And we really need some results to go our way in the other Eastern Conf matches.

ronzilla
10-17-2015, 09:25 PM
Seba had his worst game of the season IMO, looked like he had concrete in his boots - overhit nearly every pass and every corner all game. Vanney picked him, but who wouldn't pick him? I think we are clutching at straws if we are saying one week that Vanney is great and the next game he's terrible and picked the wrong players.

Let's face it, every single player had a bad game. That happens sometimes. Against NYRB every player had a fantastic game. That's football!

Man Utd looked awful against Arsenal 2 weeks ago, today made Everton look like amateurs. It can happen to any team.

Findley hit the post off a Seba corner kick and he almost scored on the dead ball.

Playing Seba as a lone striker just makes it convenient for the opposing teams to mark him. He was mauled in the 1st half and didn't stand chance. He needs his space to do his magic. Vanney tried this formation earlier this season and it also failed, not sure why he would try it again. Should have started Seba and Gomez up front.

OgtheDim
10-17-2015, 09:40 PM
You know what I hate about this game - if Findley had scored that goal, our confidence would have been boosted and things would have been different.

SirBobSaget
10-17-2015, 10:18 PM
TFC played like they still are hungover from Wed night's partying.

Pretty much everyone had an off night. Can't emphasize how important Osorio is to creating pockets of space for others to play into.

No idea why Delgado and especially Warner are in ahead of Osorio.

Yohan
10-17-2015, 10:19 PM
No idea why Delgado and especially Warner are in ahead of Osorio.
Oso still seeing birds from getting hit by that Gomez shot. concussion sucks

Kamp Berg
10-17-2015, 11:49 PM
There was definitely one bad coaching decision in this game: putting Bendik in net. You could see the defence slowly unraveling with him behind them. He seems to have lost all confidence and I can't help but wonder at this point if he'll even have a job in mls next year. I credit Vanney for taking some risks this year they really paid off (like last game), but it seems like he never knows when to quit messing with things.

Auzzy
10-18-2015, 02:05 AM
Hmm, Higuain chipping Bendik, sound familiar? I saw this in the mlssoccer.com comment thread under the game highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aib06DjSB2U

I thought both the players & the coach screwed up today.

Just once example: Delgado looked pretty good a couple of months ago, but at this point I have no idea why he is still starting & playing so much. Even today, he was the last of the 3 subbed out, should have been the first to go. Can't create much moving forward, and too weak in defence for the role he needs to play. First Columbus goal: lets the ball drop into a dangerous area again, like last week. Either he has to go in much stronger & get there first; or at least protect your goal & make it a much harder shot.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-18-2015, 05:49 AM
Delgado has been great for us, yesterday not so much, which is fine, kid has a bigger upside than down.
Warner is a fantastic player and I understand the logic behind a 4-5-1 but it should have changed sooner as they had been marking out Sebba.
Ill reiterate what i said int he transfer thread, i suspect that was Bendiks last game in red and we wont see him around next season.

stevep
10-18-2015, 07:32 AM
Why do we have a tendency to lose with Bendict in net ?
cause he's tiny, see the second goal

stevep
10-18-2015, 07:38 AM
Playing on Sat afternoon after a Wed night game is not a recipe for looking sharp. Especially for the older players and internationals.

for sure, also take out perquis and osorio and change konopka for bendick and this is what you get

Pint
10-18-2015, 08:11 AM
The game wasn't good, seams the players were as tired as many of us from Wednesday night still.

What really bugged me was the security in the south end, literally 50+ cops, security and game crew staring down supporters at the front of the south. All this while crew away supporters could roam free in the east stand.

Hamilton_Red
10-18-2015, 08:36 AM
I think the police got a little nervous during the Blue Jays game last week. If that level of policing makes you nervous - don't go see a game in Europe.

flamehawk
10-18-2015, 08:50 AM
I think the police got a little nervous during the Blue Jays game last week. If that level of policing makes you nervous - don't go see a game in Europe.

Context is important though. My friend snapped a photo of the police -> https://twitter.com/keep_score/status/655478504503517184

Seems so over the top for a fan base that has very little history of violence/improprieties. I presumed it may have had something to do with last Wednesday part-pitch invasion, but still very unnecessary considering how cooperative fans were. I didn't like the police presence and the assumptions behind that. Especially since they so often screw up at providing necessary security from away sections where problems have actually arisen.

OgtheDim
10-18-2015, 08:53 AM
Nothing to do with the Blue Jays. Security on Wednesday got overwhelmed by the post game rush towards the players. Thus, the show of force (although I found the two guys in yellow slickers standing at the top corners of the penalty area rather funny) Don't expect them to keep the same level moving forward. It was simply there to discourage a pitch invasion.

Pint
10-18-2015, 09:22 AM
Yep, discourage the pseudo pitch invasion ( maybe 1 or 2 on the actual pitch) that happened Wednesday and has been promoted by the club on social media since then.

Too many people making decisions without clear direction.

Fort York Redcoat
10-18-2015, 09:23 AM
I am not upset. I want to win every game, but frankly, we were due for a stinker, and a win today would have given the TFC ticket office too much swagger.

Teams 1 through 6 in the east all look inseparable to me. These teams can finish anywhere, and anything can happen.

It wasn't what I thought it would be - Beating NYRB and losing to Columbus but it did wonders for everyones blood pressure.

Unless of course we're talking about the Trillium Cup. Are we talking about the Trillium Cup? Are we shattered about that?g:D

pdubs
10-18-2015, 12:11 PM
Vanney said he put Bendik in net because he had a good week of training and wants to keep him sharp in case Konopka gets injured in the playoffs. He mentioned in the Orlando game that Tally Hall had to be subbed out due to injury.

He also commented that getting Herc and Moore minutes before the playoffs is important.

The way I wrap my head around this game is that on Wednesday against a full strength NYRB team and with us missing our DP's, we had a great performance against the top team in the east/league. Short recovery time, missing Osorio to injury, Bradley still not 100% maybe, Giovinco had a completely off night. Nothing was falling for us, we hit the post and just couldn't do much.

The 3-4 formation changes we saw is not necessarily a bad thing, especially since the first change was in response to Giovinco being vulnerable to NYRB defense. The last change with 3 at the back was to try to salvage the point.

Expect a great game in Montreal. Hopefully we should be fully rested and relatively fit (minus Perquis).

nick.mastro
10-18-2015, 02:44 PM
Bendik starting = TFC losing

kwhisperer
10-18-2015, 05:23 PM

I was really hoping this was the case but I just can't figure out Vanney's handling of Gomez. I would have thought Herc could play a real role but Vanney has missed several chances to give him meaningful moments. Almost like he never wanted him - shades of Nelsen and Urruti.

MightyDM
10-18-2015, 06:12 PM
One mistake in a game doesn't change the fact that Marky Delgado is a better wide defender than Colin Warner. He played most of a season at Chivas at RB, whereas Warner has limited time as a winger in Montreal and RSL.

BTW, congratulations for keeping faith with this club from Edmonton. Your post from Wednesday sounded ecstatic.

i agree that Delgado is a better wide player than Warner, who is best in the middle - but he does make numerous defensive errors, if you watch closely. Moot now, but given the importance of not losing yesterday's game, I liked the more defensive line up. Warner did well wide earlier in the season.

Initial B
10-19-2015, 12:47 PM
Unless of course we're talking about the Trillium Cup. Are we talking about the Trillium Cup? Are we shattered about that?g:D
Oh yes, Completely. I hope to repair myself when I go to Montreal this Sunday and see TFC stick it to them again.

BritSOL
10-30-2015, 04:24 PM
I know this is a few games ago, and we have other things on our mind, but this is still bugging me, and I have not been able to get a definite answer one way or another.

I have now made a video of the incident I asked about earlier in this thread

https://youtu.be/y3F4P9hUep8

---------------------------------------ORIGINAL POST----------------------------------
OK, 38 seconds in to the game. A Columbus player passes back the ball to his goalie. He flicks the ball up from his feet and then heads it back to the goalie.

My understanding is that this is not allowed as it is classed a "trickery" to get around the back pass rule. I see it as an indirect free kick should have been awarded to TFC.

I searched and found the following. I highlighted the relevant sections.

The back-pass rule refers to two clauses within Law 12 of the Laws ofthe Game of association football. These clauses prohibit the goalkeeper from handling the ball when a teammate has intentionally “kicked” the ball to him, or handling the ball directly from a teammate’s throw-in.
The actual offence committed is the handling of the ball by the goalkeeper, not the ball being passed back. An indirect free kick is awarded to the opposing team from the place where the offence occurred, i.e., where the goalkeeper handled the ball.
The offence rests on three events occurring in the following sequence:
– The ball is kicked (played with the foot, not the knee, thigh, or shin) by a teammate of the goalkeeper,
– This action is deemed to be deliberate and intentional, rather than a deflection or an miss-kick which is not intended for goalkeepers direction, by the referee
– The goalkeeper handles the ball directly (no intervening touch of play of the ball by anyone else). Handling the ball involves retrieving the ball or making a save with one or both hands.
If, however, in the opinion of the referee, a player uses a deliberate trick in order to circumvent the amendment to Law 12, the player will be guilty of unsporting behavior and will be punished accordingly in terms of Law 12; that is to say, the player will be cautioned and an indirect free-kick will be awarded to the opposing team from the place where the player committed the offense. Examples of such tricks would include: a player who deliberately flicks the ball with his feet up onto his head in order to head the ball to his goalkeeper; or, a player who kneels down and deliberately pushes the ball to the goalkeeper with his knee, etc

T-boy
10-30-2015, 04:31 PM
It's probably illegal. I know the game rules pretty well but I've never actually seen a player attempt that so I'm not sure if I would even recognize it as illegal as a ref. So you can almost be certain that an MLS ref wouldn't have a clue about it.

Having said that, it's not as though it changed the history of that game - the player could have easily passed back or controlled and played it forward himself. It wasn't as though he was under much pressure. "If" the player was closely marked/a TFC was right by him then it would have had more of an impact I suppose as it would take away an opportunity for TFC. But that wasn't the case - he had multiple options and could have easily cleared the ball, pass back, or made a cup of tea and tied his laces and still played the ball!

BritSOL
10-30-2015, 06:35 PM
It's probably illegal. I know the game rules pretty well but I've never actually seen a player attempt that so I'm not sure if I would even recognize it as illegal as a ref. So you can almost be certain that an MLS ref wouldn't have a clue about it.

Having said that, it's not as though it changed the history of that game - the player could have easily passed back or controlled and played it forward himself. It wasn't as though he was under much pressure. "If" the player was closely marked/a TFC was right by him then it would have had more of an impact I suppose as it would take away an opportunity for TFC. But that wasn't the case - he had multiple options and could have easily cleared the ball, pass back, or made a cup of tea and tied his laces and still played the ball!

Yes, the way TFC played that day was bad, but having Giovinco take an indirect free kick inside the penalty box could have meant TFC were up a goal after only a couple of minutes.

The fact that no TFC players seemed to react was telling to me, so am I the only one who seems aware of this rule?

MartinUtd
10-30-2015, 07:09 PM
Well spotted

Fort York Redcoat
10-31-2015, 06:44 AM
Nice catch @BritSOL (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/member.php?u=1164)

/y3F4P9hUep8

REPOSTING for simplicity

Was this a backpass? Rules state it is if that was an intentional flick to make the header back to goal.