PDA

View Full Version : MLS lottery: Bruno Guarda

DigzTFC!
07-25-2008, 12:48 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/commented/ci_9989121

This was kind of swept under the radar. He was projected as a number one pick and the rapids got him with the worst odds. I don't know what to make of this. Can we have O'Brian White then? Just give him to us....

Broadview
07-25-2008, 01:56 PM

This was kind of swept under the radar. He was projected as a number one pick and the rapids got him with the worst odds. I don't know what to make of this. Can we have O'Brian White then? Just give him to us....

We do have SJE's pick, our pick and now Chicago's 1st rounder. We have a pretty good shot at White with San Jose suffering the way they have been. Plus, if it's a toss up between White and an American kid, other teams are likely to take one the one who's not an import.

The 2009 Superdraft is going to be the greatest off-season day ever for TFC freaks :)

Nuvinho
07-25-2008, 02:00 PM
We will probably trade up to #1 spot to get White.

Strikers
07-25-2008, 02:04 PM

I agree, will probaly trade two of our first round picks to Seattle for the number one spot

Jamaicanadian
07-25-2008, 02:15 PM

OB was in town this week...I know he was gonna check J-Double down at BMO ...I forgot to ask him about TFC when I saw him tho.......

DigzTFC!
07-25-2008, 02:16 PM
It kind of depends on what these guys want to do. Alot of the first overalls are GAs. However, expansion teams usually use these on the best player available with so much cap room. Who knows. They might trade the first like SJ did. We will get him, I'm certain. Its just a matter at what cost which plays well to other teams looking to fleece us. Mo is covering his options with so many international spots coming in trades

noochie
07-25-2008, 03:32 PM

Bang on. A great thing Mo has done by stockpiling #1 round picks. You can package up to trade up quickly and get your guy. Mo is a genius. Seriously.

Broadview
07-25-2008, 03:35 PM
Oops, I forgot all about Seattle having dibs at the draft.

Seems like they'll let just about anybody have a team in the league these days :)

noochie
07-25-2008, 03:39 PM
Seattle has dibs yes... but they would almost certainly trade down to get a proven player whilst still picking in round 1. I hate to say it but Dunivant and our 1st rd pick would probably do it. A serviceable defender/midfielder with experience in the league would be just what an expansion team would be looking for.

Keyman
07-25-2008, 03:48 PM
Also, I've heard that we may lose out on that pick that we acquired from San Jose because of the Guevara trade.

That's just a rumour though.

noochie
07-25-2008, 04:02 PM
^^ Do you have any details at all as to what you might be referring to though? I am not sure how a deal between Chivas and TFC would have anything to do with the Ronnie O'Brien trade.

Keyman
07-25-2008, 04:10 PM
^^ Do you have any details at all as to what you might be referring to though? I am not sure how a deal between Chivas and TFC would have anything to do with the Ronnie O'Brien trade.
Trust me, that's what I thought right away.

I know that draft picks were exchanged between Chivas and Toronto, and apparently if certain things happen the draft pick is changed to the San Jose pick or something. I'm not really sure.

But again, it's a rumour.

Southsider
07-25-2008, 07:53 PM
^^ What is this, the MLSR thread?

Dirk Diggler
07-25-2008, 08:59 PM
Trust me, that's what I thought right away.

I know that draft picks were exchanged between Chivas and Toronto, and apparently if certain things happen the draft pick is changed to the San Jose pick or something. I'm not really sure.

But again, it's a rumour.

I wouldn't be surprised if that is the case. That whole Guevera saga has been quite the mess.

werewolf
07-28-2008, 04:07 PM
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=558114&cc=5901

FC Dallas announced Monday that it has acquired former SMU midfielder Bruno Guarda from the Colorado Rapids in exchange for the team's natural second and third-round selections in the 2009 MLS SuperDraft and a partial allocation.
"We're very excited to have Bruno Guardo at FC Dallas," said FC Dallas coach Schellas Hyndman. "What he'll bring to the team is that he has a great work ethic. Attacking he was one of the better players in the country at the collegiate level, and he really surprises you because he works so hard defensively to gain the ball back. Tactically he's very sound; technically he's very sound. He's capable of penetrating with a dribble or the pass, and I look for nothing but good things from Bruno as he comes into the professional ranks with FC Dallas."

The Rapids won a special lottery to obtain the rights to Guarda on July 22. Special lotteries are conducted by the league among interested teams for players who are not eligible to be discovered and who were not drafted. Twelve of the 14 teams participated in last week's lottery for Guarda's rights.

The Brazilian-born Guarda scored 15 goals and added 18 assists playing in his three years at SMU for Hyndman. He was a Herman Trophy semifinalist following both his sophomore and junior years (2006 and 2007).

TorontoBlades
07-28-2008, 05:18 PM
Also, I've heard that we may lose out on that pick that we acquired from San Jose because of the Guevara trade.

That's just a rumour though.

The picks that we gave up for Guevara are definately not 1st round picks. I did some research on this because I was worried a while back. What I found was the only reason why these picks weren't mentioned at the time of the trade was that they are so pathetic (ie 3rd & 4th rounds) that they didn't announce it to save Chivas the embarassment