PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Other MLS games thread

Pages : 1 [2]

troy1982
11-08-2015, 07:08 PM
About the same weather in CLB as it is here in the GTA, and a much less than full stadium judging from camera shots.

I despise both of these teams equally, but if I HAD to pick a team to book their tee times, it's the crew

I don't know what you are talking about, it looks like a near sell-out to me, Definitely fuller than I have seen BMO in a few years.

OgtheDim
11-08-2015, 07:21 PM
Its a loud CBus stadium now.

Cup soccer is fun.

Rene Kingsriver
11-08-2015, 07:42 PM
I'm watching the Crew v Impact game, where are the Montreal fans?

ronzilla
11-08-2015, 07:44 PM
montreal is toast

Brooker
11-08-2015, 07:47 PM
I'm watching the Crew v Impact game, where are the Montreal fans?

Assaulting women and children in the parking lot very shortly, I imagine.

andyboy
11-08-2015, 07:47 PM
montreal is toast

Oh, what a shame! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Eastend
11-08-2015, 07:55 PM
I guess it couldn't have ended in a draw that sees both knocked out eh?

troy1982
11-08-2015, 07:57 PM
MVP candidate who can't take a penalty.

Still gets 2 goals, and the goal winner though.

Rene Kingsriver
11-08-2015, 07:58 PM
Wankers, imagine if that was us we'd have taken hundreds

OgtheDim
11-08-2015, 07:59 PM
That was fun to watch. Especially Drogba go quiet. Ran out of gas after our games against him.

ronzilla
11-08-2015, 08:01 PM
Almost tempted to fire up my twitter troll account and rub salt in their wounds. g:D

troy1982
11-08-2015, 08:02 PM
That was fun to watch. Especially Drogba go quiet. Ran out of gas after our games against him.

No, just Columbus knew how to defend against him, which TFC couldn't do in two games.

General Woolfe
11-08-2015, 08:08 PM
MVP candidate who can't take a penalty.

Still gets 2 goals, and the goal winner though.

He could still beat Gio to the MVP trophy yet. As much as I love what our man has done this year, It pales in comparison next to a Conference or MLS title. If Columbus take either of those off the back of another telling Kamara performance, the Sierra Leonean deserves to be MVP more imo

troy1982
11-08-2015, 08:09 PM
He could still beat Gio to the MVP trophy yet. As much as I love what our man has done this year, It pales in comparison next to a Conference or MLS title. If Columbus take either of those off the back of another telling Kamara performance, the Sierra Leonean deserves to be MVP more imo

For me he also won the goldern Boot because all his goals were from the run of play, 0 penalties.

CBTFC
11-08-2015, 08:19 PM
Isn't MLS MVP just for regular season only? (Like how NHL has Hart for regular season, and Conn Smythe for playoffs)

TFC07
11-08-2015, 08:40 PM
For me he also won the goldern Boot because all his goals were from the run of play, 0 penalties.

That's a weak point to make.

Giovinco has most points overall and he's better all-around player that truly makes players around him better.

Giovinco is simply better player than Kamara to a point that there's a debate within MLS circles if Giovinco is best player to ever play in MLS.

Hamilton_Red
11-08-2015, 09:01 PM
Watching all the playoff games I could.. They all have good defences and goalkeepers. I know correlation doesn't prove causation...but it might be worth trying out just in case.

CBTFC
11-08-2015, 09:31 PM
Wow, Akindele gets subbed on and scores right away on his first touch in 83' minute.

Dallas looking to advance on aggregate.

SoccMan2
11-08-2015, 09:31 PM
Canada's Tesho Akindele gets the go ahead goal for Dallas he just came on and scores on his first touch of the game.

OgtheDim
11-08-2015, 09:33 PM
No, just Columbus knew how to defend against him, which TFC couldn't do in two games.

Nah...Drogba didn't cover the pitch like he did before these two games.

OgtheDim
11-08-2015, 09:34 PM
Bedlam

CBTFC
11-08-2015, 09:35 PM
Chad Marshall with the header in 89' minute!

And now FC Dallas scores in the 90' minute!

holy crap what a match.

Leedsoronto
11-08-2015, 09:36 PM
Crazy crazy game !!!

SoccMan2
11-08-2015, 09:37 PM
Wow what a game in Dallas , who says MLS is not exciting , wow!

Yohan
11-08-2015, 09:39 PM
who says playoffs is boring

Areathrasher
11-08-2015, 09:39 PM
This game :lol:

ag futbol
11-08-2015, 09:49 PM
The amount of attention Diaz commands is simply incredible. They give him like Giovinco level coverage. Quite the player!

SoccMan2
11-08-2015, 09:49 PM
I'm liking this number 10 Diaz?, nice attacking center midfielder, and the wide Dallas midfielder Barrios.

Yohan
11-08-2015, 09:51 PM
The amount of attention Diaz commands is simply incredible. They give him like Giovinco level coverage. Quite the player!
best playmaker in MLS IMO. (Gio being considered a striker)
has injury problems but when he plays, he creates magic

troy1982
11-08-2015, 09:52 PM
Dallas is quite a team, second cheapest roster in MLS and no DP's
FYI the Red Bulls have the cheapest roster.

ag futbol
11-08-2015, 09:55 PM
Dallas is quite a team, cheapest roster in MLS and no DP's
And the best academy by a long shot. It's not even close.

OgtheDim
11-08-2015, 10:04 PM

And arguably the best coach (although he's a bit of a headcase).

Yohan
11-08-2015, 10:10 PM
LA Galaxy has really good one. it's just their kids get overshadowed by LA first teamers

ag futbol
11-08-2015, 10:17 PM
LA Galaxy has really good one. it's just their kids get overshadowed by LA first teamers
They also poach heavily and just stick the tag on guys who have little connection to their program. FCD legitimately has groomed these guys. But agreed, they still have a good program.

OgtheDim
11-08-2015, 10:22 PM
Chivas also had a good academy and LAFC could have had it for nothing - most of those kids went to LAG.

ag futbol
11-08-2015, 10:24 PM
Gotta question chad barret taking the penalty. I mean really...

Edit: rightful result at the end of the day... As much as a cascadia cup semi could have been cool. FCD is just a level ahead despite the close score line though two legs.

Inklink
11-08-2015, 10:29 PM
lmfao Stephan Frei. Memories of him always guessing TOTALLY wrong on every PK came flowing back.

Leedsoronto
11-08-2015, 10:30 PM
20 yr old goalie did amazing

OgtheDim
11-08-2015, 10:31 PM
Fun stuff.

Dallas is going to be close to unstoppable the next few years - young young team.

SoccMan2
11-08-2015, 10:31 PM
Got to like this Dallas team they deserved this win and are now one of my favorites to take it all.

Leedsoronto
11-08-2015, 10:34 PM
Feeling dizzy now, think I have OD on playoff footy with a game to go, line em up, game on !!!

Yohan
11-08-2015, 10:40 PM
Fun stuff.

Dallas is going to be close to unstoppable the next few years - young young team.
if they don't get poached.
but Pareja is probably best judge of talent in MLS right now. even better than Arena

troy1982
11-08-2015, 10:44 PM
So far the higher seed has won every series in 2015, lets see if Vancouver can keep up the trend.

I would love to see a FCD v NYRB final.

Hamilton_Red
11-08-2015, 11:18 PM
Heard the stat that none of the top 15 paid players in MLS are left in the playoffs. #DP's aren't worth it. Soccer doesn't work with that system - it's a proper team sport.

notthesun
11-08-2015, 11:54 PM
Heard the stat that none of the top 15 paid players in MLS are left in the playoffs. #DP's aren't worth it. Soccer doesn't work with that system - it's a proper team sport.

You need a complete team to win sure, but that doesn't mean DPs aren't worth it... unless you want to ignore the Galaxy winning 3 cups in 4 years for example.

Lennon
11-09-2015, 12:27 AM
This Vancouver performance is almost worse than TFC's. At least we didn't have 1 shot on target in front of 30k of our fans lol.

ag futbol
11-09-2015, 12:31 AM
Whitecaps second best on the night. For all their plaudits I rarely see this team break down a side that's defensively set. Badly need to sort that out in the offseason.

mowe
11-09-2015, 12:40 AM
Vancouver and Montreal both getting knocked out does make me feel a lot better. Ottawa made it to the NASL final too. It was a good day.

stevep
11-09-2015, 12:42 AM
vancouver stinks, and tfc could have scored 5 against portland at bmo in may
what does that tell ya

Hamilton_Red
11-09-2015, 12:50 AM
TFC is nowhere near either of those two teams. The Manneh injury was the turning point - Rivero has been a flop and Morales looks finished. Portland played a fantastic game - first to every ball - won every 50-50. Took the chances.

We should offer Jozy for Laba though straight swap and they need a big name striker badly. :)

notthesun
11-09-2015, 12:52 AM
Whitecaps second best on the night. For all their plaudits I rarely see this team break down a side that's defensively set. Badly need to sort that out in the offseason.

I wonder what happens with Rivero next season. Had a great start but faded hard. 10 goals on the season is not enough from him.

They need a legitimate, game-in game-out scoring threat in the middle to finish crosses and free up space for their wingers (who already have a hard time finishing chances without all this extra attention).

Ivy
11-09-2015, 12:58 AM
TFC is nowhere near either of those two teams. The Manneh injury was the turning point - Rivero has been a flop and Morales looks finished. Portland played a fantastic game - first to every ball - won every 50-50. Took the chances.

We should offer Jozy for Laba though straight swap and they need a big name striker badly. :)
Yet TFC beat both those teams.
MLS, man.

james
11-09-2015, 01:08 AM
some exciting games today. Some great atmosphere in every game to (well Vancouver seemed a little sub-due after going down 1-0) all the other home teams won and atmosphere looked pretty awesome. Dallas game was crazy, wow.

Side note FC Dallas who seem to share there stadium with local high school Football teams, I could see some faint grid iron lines, and the grass wasn't perfect, not awful but you could see a bit of wear and tear on that field obviously from a football game. Can BMO field grass really with stand the Argos ( with full grown 200-300 pound men I mind you) handle the wear and tear next year?? makes me so worried about it considering we have no proof it will work next year!

Brooker
11-09-2015, 01:11 AM
Unbelievable. Every result went exactly as I was hoping. Not quite sure how to process that.

Not too bothered about Columbus possibly winning it all. I don't hate them even half as much as I used to. Odd.

Ultra & Proud
11-09-2015, 06:33 AM
Side note FC Dallas who seem to share there stadium with local high school Football teams, I could see some faint grid iron lines, and the grass wasn't perfect, not awful but you could see a bit of wear and tear on that field obviously from a football game. Can BMO field grass really with stand the Argos ( with full grown 200-300 pound men I mind you) handle the wear and tear next year?? makes me so worried about it considering we have no proof it will work next year!
I noticed that too. Since our ownership adopted the hopeless offspring of Toronto sports I've been trying to see how the pitches in other ground sharing MLS cities holds up. Dallas and Houston both seem okay. Not great but okay. Better than they used to be but it's a lot drier there and they can control the dampness of the pitch. Here a good mud bowl will really mess it up. That can't be helped now but as I've seen with the other teams who share, if the staff really puts in an effort to make the pitch as good as possible for football then it will be okay. If however they half ass it then it will look like Dallas' did 2-3 years ago. I will have to wait and see. On one hand TFC acts all pro in this but we'll see how much they are all in for our experience when some storm causes it to be ripped to shit and the effort and costs to fix it starts rising. At what point does it become "Ah fuck it. It's good enough"?

OgtheDim
11-09-2015, 06:49 AM

Who won it all just 12 months ago?

OgtheDim
11-09-2015, 06:53 AM
All 4 teams have AM's that are on fire right now and DM's that control things in front of their back 4.

Leedsoronto
11-09-2015, 08:09 AM
Just goes to show how important an away goal is, even if it comes at the cost of losing 2-1

ManUtd4ever
11-09-2015, 08:41 AM
I felt dirty rooting for Columbus yesterday.

ManUtd4ever
11-09-2015, 08:43 AM
some exciting games today. Some great atmosphere in every game to (well Vancouver seemed a little sub-due after going down 1-0) all the other home teams won and atmosphere looked pretty awesome. Dallas game was crazy, wow.

The wear and tear was acceptable, but I hope TFC brass will employ a better system to remove the gridiron lines.

Oldtimer
11-09-2015, 08:57 AM
All 4 teams have AM's that are on fire right now and DM's that control things in front of their back 4. Funny, I noticed that DM shield as well. Time for Bez to do something about it.

Yohan
11-09-2015, 09:04 AM
All 4 teams have AM's that are on fire right now and DM's that control things in front of their back 4.
There is no successful MLS team without a stud DM. I'd argue that CAM playmaker must also be part of that mix too. Pretty much every team has a playmaker, except for LA, Seattle DC and TFC that has a striker filling in as some sort of playmaker

QBall
11-09-2015, 09:39 AM
Looking at the possibilities for the final on December 6 I would think that, from a marketing point of view, MLS' preferred final would be Red Bulls vs Dallas (due to market size), with Columbus vs Portland the least desirable. However any final involving the Red Bulls I believe they would be hosting as they are the Supporters Shield winners. Of course looking ahead to what else is happening on December 6 in the rest of the sports world the NY Jets will play the NY Giants on that day. So instead of having the game on Saturday when there are no NFL games MLS went and shot themselves in the foot. The only saving grace is that the Giants-Jets game is at 1 PM and the MLS final is at 4 PM.

Yohan
11-09-2015, 10:04 AM
Looking at the possibilities for the final on December 6 I would think that, from a marketing point of view, MLS' preferred final would be Red Bulls vs Dallas (due to market size), with Columbus vs Portland the least desirable. However any final involving the Red Bulls I believe they would be hosting as they are the Supporters Shield winners. Of course looking ahead to what else is happening on December 6 in the rest of the sports world the NY Jets will play the NY Giants on that day. So instead of having the game on Saturday when there are no NFL games MLS went and shot themselves in the foot. The only saving grace is that the Giants-Jets game is at 1 PM and the MLS final is at 4 PM.

with MLS slotting playoff games on Sunday, I think they figured out that a lot of NFL fans don't give a rat's ass about MLS...

QBall
11-09-2015, 12:16 PM
with MLS slotting playoff games on Sunday, I think they figured out that a lot of NFL fans don't give a rat's ass about MLS...

Yeah but with the Jets-Giants game on the same day MLS assured that none of the NY sport talk shows will be talking about the Red Bulls in the lead up to the final. Then again I really have no idea how New Yorkers see the Red Bulls, especially since NYCFC appeared on the scene. At least with a 4 PM start the sports bars in NY will hopefully change the channel to the game (of course if the Red Bulls don't make it this is all moot).

Prof
11-09-2015, 01:33 PM

I would trade Bradley and Jozy for Dallas' speedy wingers and ACM.:yum:

ensco
11-09-2015, 01:58 PM
I can't root for anybody in the east, I don't feel any special hate for Montreal or Columbus, I just reflexively dislike them all. They all make me nuts because they beat us, yet I don't think they look like they belong on the same pitch as the better western teams. If life were fair, SKC and Seattle would still be in it, and the two eastern teams would be gone.

Total opposite in the west, I like everyone ex LAG.

Dallas v Portland is a dream matchup for a purist, they really represent the best of MLS, to me.

I saw Dallas 3-4 times, never realized that Mauro Diaz had that kind of game. Wow.

james
11-09-2015, 02:46 PM
The wear and tear was acceptable, but I hope TFC brass will employ a better system to remove the gridiron lines.

if I see gird iron lines like that at BMO field I want my money back, not watching the sport with grid iron lines. The grass condition was watchable, but wear and tear still worries me, exspecially when you consider we have been playing on a prestige perfect pitch for the last few years. I just can't see how we get the lines off 100% when you see so many other fields with visible lines still on the pitch, even high school lines. Toronto says they have some lines that can specially magically rub off easily...I just don't see why no one else uses the same thing then if It works so well??

james
11-09-2015, 02:49 PM
I noticed that too. Since our ownership adopted the hopeless offspring of Toronto sports I've been trying to see how the pitches in other ground sharing MLS cities holds up. Dallas and Houston both seem okay. Not great but okay. Better than they used to be but it's a lot drier there and they can control the dampness of the pitch. Here a good mud bowl will really mess it up. That can't be helped now but as I've seen with the other teams who share, if the staff really puts in an effort to make the pitch as good as possible for football then it will be okay. If however they half ass it then it will look like Dallas' did 2-3 years ago. I will have to wait and see. On one hand TFC acts all pro in this but we'll see how much they are all in for our experience when some storm causes it to be ripped to shit and the effort and costs to fix it starts rising. At what point does it become "Ah fuck it. It's good enough"?

ya but the faint lines isn't ok, I would not accept any sort of visible grid iron lines on BMO field when Toronto FC play.

james
11-09-2015, 02:52 PM
stadium wise you want the MLS cup played at NYRB. That is the perfect stadium and in the biggest city (Well close to the biggest city)

ag futbol
11-09-2015, 07:54 PM
I wonder what happens with Rivero next season. Had a great start but faded hard. 10 goals on the season is not enough from him.

They need a legitimate, game-in game-out scoring threat in the middle to finish crosses and free up space for their wingers (who already have a hard time finishing chances without all this extra attention).
I find it hard to put too much blame on riverio. The amount of work that guy puts im over a game is quite something. Ever since Morales has dropped off they offer little in the way of service/support to their strikers. Hate to say it but Robinson might be to attacking football what Vanney is to defence - his adjustments rarely address underlying issues. The game plan is more often than not pound the flanks and balls over the top; It doesn't work anymore - too one dimemsiomal and team see it coming. Outside of that they count on set pieces and Manneh's athleticism.

After a good start they heavily trended dowmward. Think changes are needed on the roster and tactically if they want to even match what they did this year.

OgtheDim
11-09-2015, 08:19 PM
So I take it the "lets bring in Robbo" calls were a tad premature?

ag futbol
11-09-2015, 08:41 PM
So I take it the "lets bring in Robbo" calls were a tad premature?
He's probably further along the curve than Vanney but he also has a better structure supporting him... So the difference IMO isn't quite what it seems at first glance.

I would have shared the Robbo much > Vanney view in the past but after moving west and seeing these guys more often i'm not so sure. One thing that isn't BS however is how much better VWFC is run compared to TFC from an operational perspective. The vibe there is much more positive towards the team and people seem genuinely happy with how the club handles SSH's etc...

Yohan
11-09-2015, 08:57 PM
I find it hard to put too much blame on riverio. The amount of work that guy puts im over a game is quite something. Ever since Morales has dropped off they offer little in the way of service/support to their strikers. Hate to say it but Robinson might be to attacking football what Vanney is to defence - his adjustments rarely address underlying issues. The game plan is more often than not pound the flanks and balls over the top; It doesn't work anymore - too one dimemsiomal and team see it coming. Outside of that they count on set pieces and Manneh's athleticism.

After a good start they heavily trended dowmward. Think changes are needed on the roster and tactically if they want to even match what they did this year.
it's a problem when you rely on one playmaker to make your offence. once Morales got injured and cold, Caps offence sucked. esp considering secondary plan was attack through flanks using inconsistent Manneh and old and past expiry date Mauro Rosales

I have confidence that Robbo will sort out Caps though.

ag futbol
11-09-2015, 09:18 PM
Little hard to take that view when The NFL is about as mass market as you get. I know MLS is niche and all but still... They need to grow and putting yourself in the same time slot means you're heavily fighting to get peoples attention against a very dominating first option.

Yohan
11-09-2015, 09:52 PM
Little hard to take that view when The NFL is about as mass market as you get. I know MLS is niche and all but still... They need to grow and putting yourself in the same time slot means you're heavily fighting to get peoples attention against a very dominating first option.
MLS figures there are enough people interested in soccer over NFL. Niche market is precisely what they are going for.

Pretty much any time slot is you go against something.

ag futbol
11-09-2015, 11:50 PM
I'm not so sure niche market is the plan. They didn't get the outlays they did from the networks on the grounds of captivating small audiences, they want significant growth in audience numbers that represent the shift everyone says is coming with changing demographics etc... I understand consistent scheduling is a positive when it comes to getting people to tune in, but on those grounds why not focus on the Sunday more throughout the year rather than currently with the 800 lbs gorilla hanging around.

The idea the NFL has no impact would appear to lack at east some substance. I can't easily link to the article since I am on mobile but espn/fox reported weekly drops in MLS viewership > 60% each during week one of the NFL. That does not suggest a purely niche audience that is immune to the broader environment.

What is so great about these MLS TV numbers btw? I've seen a few things suggesting modest improvement, but that's hardly sounds like the type of success that says we're going to play on sunday without much regard for what else is on the dial. Heck, the nba used to have a big Sunday ticket and even they largely moved out of that with the NFL becoming so dominant.

Perhaps some of the more media savvy posters can take a stab at this rather than us amateurs hacking about in the dark.

Yohan
11-10-2015, 12:43 AM
I'm not so sure niche market is the plan. They didn't get the outlays they did from the networks on the grounds of captivating small audiences, they want significant growth in audience numbers that represent the shift everyone says is coming with changing demographics etc... I understand consistent scheduling is a positive when it comes to getting people to tune in, but on those grounds why not focus on the Sunday more throughout the year rather than currently with the 800 lbs gorilla hanging around.

The idea the NFL has no impact would appear to lack at east some substance. I can't easily link to the article since I am on mobile but espn/fox reported weekly drops in MLS viewership > 60% each during week one of the NFL. That does not suggest a purely niche audience that is immune to the broader environment.

What is so great about these MLS TV numbers btw? I've seen a few things suggesting modest improvement, but that's hardly sounds like the type of success that says we're going to play on sunday without much regard for what else is on the dial. Heck, the nba used to have a big Sunday ticket and even they largely moved out of that with the NFL becoming so dominant.

Perhaps some of the more media savvy posters can take a stab at this rather than us amateurs hacking about in the dark.
http://awfulannouncing.com/2015/improved-mls-ratings-show-that-new-consistent-television-windows-are-working.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=improved-mls-ratings-show-that-new-consistent-television-windows-are-working

With the 2015 regular season in the books, we can observe through the ratings this year that the new strategy worked. All three networks posted ratings gains over 2014:ESPN/ESPN2: 249,000 average viewers, up 4 percent
Unimas: 224,000 average viewers, up 3 percent
FS1: 197,000 average viewers, up 40 percent (versus NBCSN games in 2014)

So it seems MLS is trying to keep its Sunday nationwide game broadcasts consistent, including playoffs. That article is worth reading for MLS TV ratings

Leedsoronto
11-22-2015, 08:08 AM
Just think! In another dimension thru a black hole, on another planet TFC may be playing today?

But not here, not yet :@(

I am routing for the young Dallas team

CBTFC
11-22-2015, 08:59 AM
Just think! In another dimension thru a black hole, on another planet TFC may be playing today?

In a galaxy far, far away ;)

I'll be intently watching both matches today.

OgtheDim
11-22-2015, 08:59 AM
New York and Portland would be hipster heaven.

Yohan
11-22-2015, 12:07 PM
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/thegoalkeeper/On-the-record-MLS-commissioner-Don-Garber-at-BlazerCon.html

Everyone should read this article. Interview with the Don

OgtheDim
11-22-2015, 12:36 PM
I found this question from a journo and the Garber answer particularly relevant

.../
In a theoretical world, for example, if there's no salary cap, and NYCFC can spend as much money as they want, maybe they could attract players away from Europe in their prime.

To what end? That's the ultimate question. That's probably more of a debate than an interview question. To what end? So that they win the championship? Is that going to make the league better? So then everybody would want to do that, because they're going to want to win, and now all of a sudden you've taken a model that has driven an almost unprecedented success for soccer in America and destroyed it for what end game. So that people will think L.A.'s as good as Chelsea?

I don't see what the value of that is [relative] to what we're trying to do, which is to build a league that ultimately, in its entirety, can be competitive with the rest of the world. One team is not going to drive that. You watch the Premier League because on any given day, Aston Villa can tie Man City, right? Not because you're just a fan of Man. U. There's a feeling that the competition is good.

Petor
11-22-2015, 01:22 PM
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/thegoalkeeper/On-the-record-MLS-commissioner-Don-Garber-at-BlazerCon.html

Thanks for the link!
It was a great read during brunch.
I liked the part how Dallas's spending is as much as other teams(Toronto, L.A.) but in developing local talent as opposed to spending money on DPs

Petor
11-22-2015, 01:29 PM
For some reason no Canadian tv stations are picking up the New York Columbus game.

It would be nice if MLS Live would offer a single game rate.

SoccMan2
11-22-2015, 01:36 PM
I know many on here don't think to highly of Garber but I think he has done a great job since he took over keeping in mind where this league was when he took over and where the league is now. I think knowing the history of pro soccer in North America with it's many failures the very cautionary approach was needed and is still needed. I lived through the demise of the old NASL and being a big soccer fan it was kind of devastating for me and many others at the time, having an entire league fold was not pretty.

SoccMan2
11-22-2015, 01:39 PM
The NY Crew game is online I think on TSNGO maybe someone can expand.

Richard
11-22-2015, 02:04 PM

Interesting article, Garber says that we would need to triple the investment to match the Mexican league which is the next goal for MLS.

You say you know how much money it's going to take to close the gap with the Mexican league. How much money is that?
It takes us from where we are today to spending about three times more money than we're spending now. That's just to be able to beat the Mexicans on a regular basis.
Our numbers are somewhat public. Club América [Mexico's wealthiest team] spends over $25 million a year. Club América is going to be playing one of our clubs [the Seattle Sounders, to be precise] in the [CONCACAF] Champions League in February. By the way, we're out of our season at that point, so we're going to be playing before our full teams come together.
And we're not spending $25 million. Now, Toronto does - they spend a little more than that. New York City does. So if you look at where we are, it's not getting our top teams to spend more, it's actually getting our middle teams to spend more so that we're more competitive against these clubs on a day-to-day basis. And once we get Mexico, then we'll go to the next level, and the next level.

Garber fails to mention that the Mexican league spreads their wages over their entire roster.

The next CBA negotiation is what 4-5 years from now? So 2019-2020? Do we seriously think that the cap will triple when in the past negotiation the cap went up like 10%.

This is just to get to the Mexican level, he wants to go further, kind of mind boggling considering there is no indication that revenues are going to match whatever growth they want.

Richard
11-22-2015, 02:15 PM
Also interesting to note that he wasn't asked about another big elephant that is the terrible refereeing in MLS.

I don't necessarily need this league to be a top one, but I would have like to see him address this issue, talking about player development is good, but also supporting the development of referees is another step that will help MLS elevate to the next level.

Hey Yohan, maybe start a new thread about this article?

Qman
11-22-2015, 02:24 PM
Also interesting to note that he wasn't asked about another big elephant that is the terrible refereeing in MLS.

I don't necessarily need this league to be a top one, but I would have like to see him address this issue, talking about player development is good, but also supporting the development of referees is another step that will help MLS elevate to the next level.

This is not a joke ... they need a few "DP" refs from england or germany. Its only going to cost $150k per guy ... MLS spend some fucking money.

Areathrasher
11-22-2015, 02:26 PM
This is not a joke ... they need a few "DP" refs from england or germany. Its only going to cost $150k per guy ... MLS spend some fucking money.

The level of refereeing in England is shocking too tbf.

The best ref in MLS came from the League of Ireland, so you dont need to go to the big leagues to find decent refs.

Yohan
11-22-2015, 03:57 PM

Garber made a specific comment about refs. It's an USSF and CSA and PRO problem as far as he's concerned. And it's somewhat true. MLS doesn't hire refs.

Leedsoronto
11-22-2015, 05:03 PM
Not on any channels, fuck wit Rogers

Anyone got links to both of either games?

CBTFC
11-22-2015, 05:23 PM
Holy crap, Meram scores 11 seconds in

ag futbol
11-22-2015, 05:24 PM
Garber made a specific comment about refs. It's an USSF and CSA and PRO problem as far as he's concerned. And it's somewhat true. MLS doesn't hire refs.
That's just obfuscating bullshit from Garber. It's ultimately MLS that benefits the most from any increase in officiating quality and they need to pay into the process to get what they want.

It's also not just about whatever Pro-USSF does before these guys walk in the door. Good officiating isn't just a bunch of guys who innately have a sense of the game. The top leagues give the refs resources to have conferences, set standards, and create that standardized product that naturally looks so consistent when you watch it each weekend. They also pay guys enough to dedicate a substantial amount of their time to bring pro officials. The linesman earn more than minimum wage, etc...

The (crap) officiating we see on the field weekly is a result of the league being too cheap to invest in the process. To try and pass the buck to Pro-USSF is just silly.

ensco
11-22-2015, 05:26 PM
Holy crap, Meram scores 11 seconds in

He had some pent up anger

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/22/sports/soccer/long-way-for-a-snub-in-a-qualifying-match.html?_r=0

CBTFC
11-22-2015, 05:30 PM
Not gonna lie...the passing scattered flurries would've made for a crazy atmosphere down at BMO Field today.

sigh, a fella can dream...

OgtheDim
11-22-2015, 05:33 PM
Don't you just love Twellman. CBus through Finlay ripping Lawrence apart and Twellman says he's good at defending Finlay. Gotta keep to the narrative.

Gonna try to find a European feed.

notthesun
11-22-2015, 05:33 PM
Kamara is the best striker in the league. He's strong and jumps so god damn high, every single panic clearance or long ball towards him becomes a legit chance to come away with possession. Every hopeful, throw-it-in-the-mixer cross is a chance. No way that goal happens with any other striker on the end of that long ball. Complete game changer for Columbus.

OgtheDim
11-22-2015, 05:36 PM
Eurosport feed (http://firstrowca.eu/watch/389790/2/watch-columbus-crew-vs-new-york-red-bulls.html)

OgtheDim
11-22-2015, 07:16 PM
Gotta feel that 1 goal by Columbus in New Jersey and its all over for the Energy Drinks. Red Bulls DM's did not do the job. And, like we did in our win against them, if you can get the ball past that press, you are going to be running at defenders who can not take pace.

Yohan
11-22-2015, 07:18 PM
fun game though. 2nd leg is going to be a cracker

notthesun
11-22-2015, 07:48 PM
Call me crazy but I still like the Red Bulls' chances of advancing. We'll see though.

CBTFC
11-22-2015, 07:51 PM
What a display by the Timbers army, they have a rockin' atmosphere.

Who knew a converted baseball stadium would make for that environment

SoccMan2
11-22-2015, 08:02 PM
I guess no TV coverage next week of MLS playoffs with the Grey Cup most likely on all the TSN channels I would assume.

CBTFC
11-22-2015, 09:03 PM
That was a cracking shot, Portland in the drivers seat

OgtheDim
11-22-2015, 09:10 PM
One away goal and it's a tie in all but name.

That tifo was magic. Timbers Army bringing it because they know it's their last home game.

notthesun
11-22-2015, 10:07 PM
Remind me what advantage the Red Bulls and Dallas are enjoying due to their higher seed right now?

Home advantage is everything in MLS. Setting up higher seeds to play the 2nd leg at home against teams that won their home game and thus play defensive and bunker to protect their advantage is not enough of a reward for finishing high in the standings during the season.

I think MLS should go to single-match elimination for the entirety of the playoffs. The playoffs wouldn't drag on for so long, we wouldn't be playing the final in freaking December, and it would actually be a real advantage for teams to chase during the season. Win the Supporters Shield? You're staying at home for your entire playoff run.

MartinUtd
11-22-2015, 10:18 PM
Good finish for the Timbers, they needed that 3rd goal because heading into Dallas up 2-1 is a bit flimsy.

OgtheDim
11-22-2015, 10:31 PM
I think MLS should go to single-match elimination for the entirety of the playoffs. The playoffs wouldn't drag on for so long, we wouldn't be playing the final in freaking December, and it would actually be a real advantage for teams to chase during the season. Win the Supporters Shield? You're staying at home for your entire playoff run.

oooo.........penny drops.

Take that second leg of the semi's and conference finals away, and the league finishes two weeks early (in theory this weekend).

And lo and behold we heard that the MLS cup will be done next season BEFORE the Grey Cup (which is on the last Sunday in November).

Redcoe15
11-22-2015, 11:44 PM
I'm rooting for Portland. Their supporters deserve a championship team.

Pint
11-23-2015, 09:02 AM
If/When Cascadia ever wins a championship nobody anywhere will ever hear the end of it... that's why i want a Dallas win.

JayMolly
11-23-2015, 10:08 AM
If/When Cascadia ever wins a championship nobody anywhere will ever hear the end of it... that's why i want a Dallas win.

Or perhaps watching the team wearing red and white​ made you think about our boys?

Ivy
11-23-2015, 03:10 PM
I'll take Dallas to win also.
Followed by NY, Cbus, and Portland.

I like Portland and their fans, but I don't want to hear the endless nonsense they're going to be spewing if they win.

Redcoe15
11-23-2015, 04:35 PM
Better Portland than Seattle or Vancouver.

Pint
11-23-2015, 04:37 PM
Better Portland than Seattle or Vancouver.

Sure but that's like saying getting kicked in the balls is better than getting stabbed or electrocuted.

OgtheDim
11-23-2015, 07:58 PM
That star going on Portland's shirt would shut a lot of the Seattle is the best in the world shit up.

Soccerpro
11-23-2015, 08:10 PM
I like Dallas because they give their young players a chance to play and believe in their academy. I wish we currently had that philosophy at TFC.

CBTFC
11-27-2015, 10:26 PM
Can't believe how cold it is in Frisco over the weekend, and they're getting a ton of rain.

Looks like it'll be a chilly game between FC Dallas and Portland on Sunday.

jimiv
11-27-2015, 11:47 PM
That star going on Portland's shirt would shut a lot of the Seattle is the best in the world shit up.
I can't imagine what kind of spectacle the Timber's Army would create for their first home game TIFO if they won it all, but I know it would be something to see.

CBTFC
11-29-2015, 05:14 PM
Bueller? Guess I'm the only one...

Jings
11-29-2015, 05:31 PM
Not many people in the stadium for a playoff game

CBTFC
11-29-2015, 06:08 PM
Just a few minutes ago they mentioned how there was still approx 500 people waiting to get in.

I'm guessing a combo of traffic/weather/"terrorism " scare tactics

Hamilton_Red
11-29-2015, 06:11 PM
I can't imagine what kind of spectacle the Timber's Army would create for their first home game TIFO if they won it all, but I know it would be something to see.

Season opener for TFC on the West coast? That would be fun.

OgtheDim
11-29-2015, 06:35 PM
Dallas done and dusted now.

Portland looked awful the first half of the season but got its defence going, figured out a midfield, and scores just enough.

SoccMan2
11-29-2015, 06:40 PM
Nothing wrong with the attendance now in Dallas.

stevep
11-29-2015, 07:14 PM
Dallas done and dusted now.

Portland looked awful the first half of the season but got its defence going, figured out a midfield, and scores just enough.

tfc beat them solidly in May at BMO

SoccMan2
11-29-2015, 07:19 PM
Yes TFC beat them in May but it's still playing games and winning in late November in the MLS that counts.

OgtheDim
11-29-2015, 07:23 PM
Just saw something rather interesting.

https://twitter.com/pkedit/status/671121736482467840

Qman
11-29-2015, 08:33 PM
Not many people in the stadium for a playoff game

Pathetic ... all these mid-america clubs (ex-SKC) should just go away

troy1982
11-29-2015, 08:44 PM
Pathetic ... all these mid-america clubs (ex-SKC) should just go away

FC Dallas had a sold out stadium and despite the rain and cold the stadium looked full to me, what problem did you have with the attendance.

SoccMan2
11-29-2015, 09:28 PM
Nothing wrong with attendance at Dallas tonight stadium filled up as the game went on , it looked pretty full to me by the end of the first half, most of the MLS games in all the rounds have had good attendances , don't know what people are complaining about.

SoccMan2
11-29-2015, 09:55 PM
Well that was close , Columbus wins the series and will host the MLS Cup.

mowe
11-29-2015, 09:56 PM
Absolutely BANANAS finish to the NY-CLB game. Wow. Columbus hosts Portland for the MLS Cup.

OgtheDim
11-29-2015, 09:58 PM
Portland to win.

Urruti goal seals a 3-1.

Qman
11-29-2015, 10:06 PM
Well that was close , Columbus wins the series and will host the MLS Cup.

why is mls cup in columbus. Same records and didn't portland beat CLU (in CLU) earlier this year. am i missing something?

SoccMan2
11-29-2015, 10:40 PM
The only see I can see is that Columbus had the better goal differential in the standings, therefore, I guess that is the tiebreaker when teams are tied on points, therefore , they host the MLS Cup.

CBTFC
11-30-2015, 10:00 AM
I had DJ'd a wedding on saturday night at downsview park, and with my inability to "sleep in", I was going on about 4 hours of sleep yesterday...sooooo i fell asleep during the end of the dallas portland game, and woke up at midnight. woops.

sounds like the nyrb/clb game was pretty entertaining.

as a neutral looking at the final, wow do i ever hope the portland timbers beat them. and i hope it's something like -10 and a blinding snowstorm, that'd be fun.

Detroit_TFC
11-30-2015, 12:05 PM
Actually weather forecast for next Sunday is decent. I think I'll head down there (it's only a 3 hr drive for me).

Portland seems well primed to take this game. Columbus has to take an early lead to have a chance.

jazzy
11-30-2015, 10:47 PM
These quarters and semis have been wonderful . Could careless who wins both teams have been playing well . After classless Montreal fans this year I've started enjoying and respecting many other teams . These two have played well . Hats off to both . Toronto seems to be in another league . Exciting football apparently is attainable in MLS . Just not here presently .coaches have all been going for it . Vanney I feel would have tried to sub a a CB or DM . Btwn Dallas and Portland anyone could have one . Actually urrutti had 2 great chances and was poor , his touch a disaster on two occasions late in the game . Don't miss him .

Yohan
12-06-2015, 03:53 PM
Well, last game of the season.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2015/12/06/landon-donovan-interviews-mls-commissioner-don-garber?autoplay=true

To get you warmed up, good interview by Landycakes on the Don. A lot of little gems in this.

JayMolly
12-06-2015, 03:59 PM
Well, last game of the season.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2015/12/06/landon-donovan-interviews-mls-commissioner-don-garber?autoplay=true

To get you warmed up, good interview by Landycakes on the Don. A lot of little gems in this.

Thanks Yohan.
We have our popcorn and beverages ready to go for this final match of 2015.
J&M

portu
12-06-2015, 04:10 PM
Calling Portland 1-0 Melano scores in extra time

PAOK17
12-06-2015, 04:31 PM
WOW blooper goal in the first 30 seconds of a cup final. Funny thing, I had a feeling it would happen once the keeper took a second touch.

1-0 Portland

CBTFC
12-06-2015, 04:33 PM
Lol that was awesome. This is Portland's game to lose.

PAOK17
12-06-2015, 04:34 PM
Make that 2-0

jloome
12-06-2015, 04:37 PM
Make that 2-0

This is almost over before it starts. Feels like watching us v Montreal; Crew asleep, Portland hungry.

ensco
12-06-2015, 04:40 PM
Those were two of the more ridiculous goals allowed all year.

Bad for the league. Oh well.

Yohan
12-06-2015, 04:45 PM
game on. Kamara pulls one back. 2-1 Portland

PAOK17
12-06-2015, 04:57 PM
game on. Kamara pulls one back. 2-1 Portland
From another goalkeeper misplay no less.

The second Portland goal was a huge blunder by the assistant. How could he not see that the ball went out? In that situation, he really had one job to do...

PAOK17
12-06-2015, 05:49 PM
OK how did the ref miss that handball on the line?

These kind of mistakes by the refs in a cup final!

Captain
12-06-2015, 06:12 PM
So frustrated. Started watching the game. Saw the first goal. The image freezes. Spent the last hour on the phone Rogers. They have no idea what's wrong and will send service next Saturday. Worst possible timing. I got a $50 credit but no game.
I not a happy person right now.

OgtheDim
12-06-2015, 06:20 PM
Good for Portland.

notthesun
12-06-2015, 06:24 PM
Portland lifts the trophy because they somehow figured out how to win on the road. Porter gets most of the credit here I think.

OgtheDim
12-06-2015, 06:27 PM
Gotta say the officiating crew blew at least 3 calls there.

Bobo
12-06-2015, 06:28 PM
Poor final, for all involved. Bush league goals, awful officiating. Glad it wasn't the KKKrew though. Between this and the GOTY, bad look for MLS.

OgtheDim
12-06-2015, 06:32 PM
Presenting the cup to the owner and him lifting it is SOOOOOOOOOOO American.

mowe
12-06-2015, 06:33 PM
Great to see Columbus lose at home.

molenshtain
12-06-2015, 06:49 PM
Presenting the cup to the owner and him lifting it is SOOOOOOOOOOO American.

that's so Paulson

SoccMan2
12-06-2015, 06:51 PM
I'm sure there are bad calls that have happened in other leagues and other cup finals around the world , and I'm sure there are some bad calls that have happened even in World Cup finals throughout the years, but because this is the MLS we have all these doomsayers commenting how it's bad for the league please give me a break. I sat and watched as a neautral and I was entertained , it was not a boring final and in the end that's a good look for the league !

Leedsoronto
12-06-2015, 06:59 PM
The ref and lines man got complimentary Hakin Optical gift vouchers, nice touch MLS :@)

reggie
12-06-2015, 07:22 PM
I'm sure there are bad calls that have happened in other leagues and other cup finals around the world , and I'm sure there are some bad calls that have happened even in World Cup finals throughout the years, but because this is the MLS we have all these doomsayers commenting how it's bad for the league please give me a break. I sat and watched as a neautral and I was entertained , it was not a boring final and in the end that's a good look for the league !
i agree...its was a fun game...when was the last great WC final...must be the euro snobs.lol.great to see columass and ther kkk fans lose..portland was the better team.

OgtheDim
12-06-2015, 08:16 PM
i agree...its was a fun game...when was the last great WC final...must be the euro snobs.lol.great to see columass and ther kkk fans lose..portland was the better team.

Uh, Eurosnob?

Have you seen the video of that blown call on the 2nd goal? The ball was 3 feet out of bounds. Not to mention the time when a Columbus player took a walk about AROUND THE BACK OF THE NET and came back on the field, all during play.

There is bad refereeing and then there is embarrassingly bad refereeing.

portu
12-06-2015, 08:31 PM
Uh, Eurosnob?

Have you seen the video of that blown call on the 2nd goal? The ball was 3 feet out of bounds. Not to mention the time when a Columbus player took a walk about AROUND THE BACK OF THE NET and came back on the field, all during play.

There is bad refereeing and then there is embarrassingly bad refereeing.

Yeah this was probably the worst game I've seen in a while

Redcoe15
12-06-2015, 08:39 PM
Congratulations to the Portland Timbers for winning the MLS Cup, their first championship in their 40 year, four leagues history.

And HA-HA! to the Columbus Pisstains for losing it on their home turf. Looks good on them, especially after their classless douchebag fans threw beer cans at Portland after the second Timbers goal.

And it must burn the supporters of the Vancouver Shitecraps and Seattle Snotbags that Portland got the MLS Cup ahead of them.

OgtheDim
12-06-2015, 09:02 PM
https://twitter.com/framarini13/status/673682738596192257

Yes, you play to the whistle or to the call but as there is rarely a whistle on a ball out of play, I can't blame Tchani all that much.

Petor
12-06-2015, 09:04 PM
In Columbus they always complain about TFC fans.
It's time that they just STFU!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CVk5sIGU4AAxYvb.jpg:large

Redcoe15
12-06-2015, 09:08 PM
In Columbus they always complain about TFC fans.
It's time that they just STFU!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CVk5sIGU4AAxYvb.jpg:large

No class from the Pisstains' supporters, but we already knew that. All the more reason to enjoy seeing them get bummed out. :devil:

Eastend
12-06-2015, 09:35 PM
Sanctions?

Hamilton_Red
12-06-2015, 09:51 PM
Great result for Portland and on balance they deserved the win created a pile of chances in the second half. Playing a single game away like that was a difficult challenge. I'm not convinced that this is the right format for the cup myself. As much as you get a better atmosphere it's not really fair. For me at a neutral ground is the way to go.

Would like to see Will Johnson come to Toronto next season - he'll be on the move.

Loved the interview with Garber... let's pay 5 guys a Million each rather than 1 guy 5... Garber wasn't keen on that question.

ag futbol
12-06-2015, 10:21 PM
Johnson is really only Canadian by virtue of his parents. Doubt he considers it home.

I'll say the same thing I did last year: having the season drag on so long is an invitation for people to lose interest. This shit should have wrapped up a month ago or earlier.

OgtheDim
12-06-2015, 10:49 PM
The playoffs were way more compelling then the league this season. I agree it can be cut down in length but it was fun to watch (apart from one game in Montreal).

Bobo
12-06-2015, 11:06 PM

Right, I'm sure many people tuning into an MLS game or the first time were sitting there thinking "Gosh, all these awful mistakes is making for some good entertainment value." And houseleagues are the best tickets in town. Give ME a break. I enjoy MLS because I set the bar low (you have to, watching TFC for nine years), and I was still left bitterly disappointed by "the best MLS has to offer."

Even the commentators were exceptionally bad. Twellman: "Columbus down 2-0 is playing right into their hands, because they're at their best when they attack." LOL!

OgtheDim
12-06-2015, 11:15 PM
Twellman is good in spurts and I admire his courage about concussions.

But he sold his soul to Draft Kings.

Leedsoronto
12-06-2015, 11:57 PM
It took the commentator 5 mins to work out, or be told that the ball was feet over the line, I had stopped the game and slow played it back seconds after the Goal. I was like, what the !! That's a goal? Lol

Yes it was entertaining but FFS what a shit show officials look to be in MLS.

SoccMan2
12-07-2015, 11:00 AM
This is the thing with people and MLS, the bias is already there or was already there with number 1, fans who are casual watchers of the league and number 2, the people who started watching the league once TFC came into the league. Therefore, with this bias people go into every game looking for negatives because " it's a North American league" and it's soccer so it can't be any good. With this bias or thinking in hand people will look for every negative and then say " see I told you look at that how bad is that" , people will look at everything so that they can justify their biases, the level of play, the officiating, the commentators and on and on and on. Ya only in the MLS you will find bad officiating, crappy players and of course bad tv commentating. Look the MLS has many warts and has a lot of improving to do but it seems like everything about this league is shit the lowest of the low with people. Furthermore, in terms of commentating which is the one thing all these experts seem to know so much about has there ever been an MLS broadcast that anyone has watched and actually thought the commentators or the telecast was any good? Judging from what I read on here it does not seem there has ever been one, wow! Furthermore, for those saying the league runs too long, well it runs no longer than most soccer leagues around the world.

ag futbol
12-07-2015, 12:15 PM
I think it's fair to say as an apples-to-apples comparison the officiating is below par. Not as a "euro snob" or someone who is looking for negatives straight away, objectively they've under invested in the area and are reaping the results of that.

Would we see the same horrendous errors and terrible inconsistencies in comparable second tier leagues? Not in my opinion, you wouldn't.

I don't think it ruined the finals but it wasn't a great look for the league by any means.

Hamilton_Red
12-07-2015, 09:31 PM
The game was shown live on Sky in the UK. The banter on Twitter from the few that watched was not flattering. There have been plenty of goalkeeper howlers in big games in the UK..no big issue. The problem is amateur refs that the league doesn't take responsibility for and the DP system. No really good keeper will play in MLS on these salaries and we will wait a long time for a DP keeper. It's distorting the game to have such un-balanced quality in a team. The idea of a single play-off biased at one teams home field is another bizarre MLSism - I don't think any other league in the world would do that. I could buy it if winning the league was the pinnacle and the cup secondary I guess.

QBall
12-11-2015, 10:42 AM
Not good numbers for TV ratings for the Cup final, although considering there were two small market teams in the final I guess it could have been worse.

https://worldsoccertalk.com/2015/12/09/mls-sees-38-decline-in-2015-mls-cup-tv-viewing-numbers/

Canadian numbers were higher than I thought it would be:

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-game/the-great-canadian-ratings-report--curling-assumes-its-place-in-the-tv-universe-205408027.html

25. Soccer, MLS Cup, Columbus vs. Portland, Sunday, TSN: 87,000

habstfc
12-11-2015, 05:34 PM
Not good numbers for TV ratings for the Cup final, although considering there were two small market teams in the final I guess it could have been worse.

https://worldsoccertalk.com/2015/12/09/mls-sees-38-decline-in-2015-mls-cup-tv-viewing-numbers/

Canadian numbers were higher than I thought it would be:

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-game/the-great-canadian-ratings-report--curling-assumes-its-place-in-the-tv-universe-205408027.html

25. Soccer, MLS Cup, Columbus vs. Portland, Sunday, TSN: 87,000 1.8 million combined viewers, horrible number. Just proves soccer in the US is a niche sport and the general public doesn't care, numbers prove that. If you're a real fan your watching the MLS final no matter who's involved, big market, small market shouldn't matter.

Fort York Redcoat
12-12-2015, 07:57 AM
1.8 million combined viewers, horrible number. Just proves soccer in the US is a niche sport and the general public doesn't care, numbers prove that. If you're a real fan your watching the MLS final no matter who's involved, big market, small market shouldn't matter.

Yes but compare that to league finals of that niche sport world wide. There aren't many. It contributes some to the numbers.

I think fans of the game worldwide would scoff at the opinion of their loyalty and love for the game being determined by watching 2 teams that aren't theirs.

That's NA for you...