PDA

View Full Version : Chicago part ways with Yallop

akoto
09-20-2015, 02:17 PM
Yallop out in Chicago finally. Link (http://www.chicago-fire.com/news/2015/09/chicago-fire-soccer-club-names-former-mls-executive-nelson-rodriguez-general-manager)

PopePouri
09-20-2015, 02:45 PM
And to think, some people wanted him here.

akoto
09-20-2015, 03:07 PM
What a dumpster fire that would have been.

Detroit_TFC
09-20-2015, 03:11 PM
Nelson Rodriguez going to Chicago as GM is significant. He's the MLS executive "fixer." Garber sent him to Chivas USA to handle the ownership transfer from Vergara and the wind down of operations. Impossible to know for sure, but reasonable to think that the recent supporter protests might have gotten some of their message through.

ensco
09-20-2015, 04:14 PM
Poor Gilberto.

I would absolutely look at Yallop for the TFC job in the offseason.

Yohan
09-20-2015, 04:34 PM
Poor Gilberto.

Yallop hasn't adjusted to realities of mls 3.0. Poor choice

MightyDM
09-20-2015, 04:34 PM
Poor Gilberto.

absolutely, or absolutely not?

TFC07
09-20-2015, 05:00 PM
Yallop is an assistant coach at best these days.

Maybe Saputo would hire Yallop for next season? lol

Detroit_TFC
09-20-2015, 05:14 PM
Just realized this is terrible timing as far as we are concerned. Last thing we need for the game 9/26 is a new coach bounce for Fire.

akoto
09-20-2015, 05:50 PM

This.

Cashcleaner
09-20-2015, 07:23 PM
Chicago has had minimal success under Yallop. His best days were over a decade ago with his first tenure with Earthquakes, and I gotta agree with the sentiment that he just hasn't been able to adapt to the current realities of the league. I'm sure any club in the league could find a use for his experience, but not as a Head Coach.

ensco
09-20-2015, 08:24 PM

This is a classic phrase that gets bandied about .... I don't know what that means. In what way does Sigi Schmid or Bruce Arena epitomize "MLS 3.0", that Yallop does not?

What are we talking about besides results? Yallop achieved some real success in his second stint in second stint in SJ. Chicago's got an ownership/FO problem.

All the player acquisition should happen elsewhere in an FO anyway. Can he coach, or can he not?

I say he can, and I'd take Yallop over Vanney in a flash

Oldtimer
09-20-2015, 08:55 PM
I know some of you really hate Vanney, but so much so that you want Yallop? Have you seen Chicago play?

Yallop was considered in the early days for TFC, I would have taken him as a replacement for Mo in 2007. These days I'd totally consider him - for TFC II.

ensco
09-20-2015, 09:31 PM
You guys are confusing the decision with the result.

Yallop is a rarity, a veteran MLS coach with a record of some success. When Chicago got him, it was a coup, a good hire. The fact that he was a bust there doesn't change that much, he didn't have much to work with. It only slightly negatively influences my view of his overall body of work.

This idea that he is some sort of has been, is ridiculous. He will get a head coaching job in this league next year.

PopePouri
09-20-2015, 10:30 PM
This is a classic phrase that gets bandied about .... I don't know what that means. In what way does Sigi Schmid or Bruce Arena epitomize "MLS 3.0", that Yallop does not?

What are we talking about besides results? Yallop achieved some real success in his second stint in second stint in SJ. Chicago's got an ownership/FO problem.

All the player acquisition should happen elsewhere in an FO anyway. Can he coach, or can he not?

I say he can, and I'd take Yallop over Vanney in a flash

It's not just an ownership problem. In almost three years, the team has no identity. Are they a direct, counter-attacking or possession team? He plays people out of position or doesn't know who his best players are (Harry Shipp plays on the wing, Matt Polster plays at RB? Michael Stephens on the bench?). These are coaching decisions.

jabbronies
09-20-2015, 10:43 PM
You guys are confusing the decision with the result.

Yallop is a rarity, a veteran MLS coach with a record of some success. When Chicago got him, it was a coup, a good hire. The fact that he was a bust there doesn't change that much, he didn't have much to work with. It only slightly negatively influences my view of his overall body of work.

This idea that he is some sort of has been, is ridiculous. He will get a head coaching job in this league next year.

I can only speak to his wikipedia record lol

His career record doesn't seem to be that good - from 2006-2015 his teams have only made the playoffs twice - one of which was an MLS Supporters Shield Season. Still not great though.

What makes you think he is good enough?
Keeping in mind he was cut loose in LA - a team that had as many DP Egos that we currently have - as well as a hack FO.

ensco
09-21-2015, 06:11 AM
SJ was very organized, and had good results given that they were an expansion team and don't spend.

Chicago was mostly a dumpster fire, I don't disagree about that. But it was less than two years, and the FO was more than 50% of the problem.

I just think you guys are vastly under rating experience - this league is incredibly hard for outsiders to come in to. I am not wild about some Italian with no MLS exposure coming in here.

If Vanney goes, the only good idea I've seen is Schellotto.

Yohan
09-21-2015, 07:15 AM
http://m.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2015/09/20/armchair-analyst-breaking-bad-end-line-and-more-week-29

Some interesting thoughts to why fire sucked under yallop. It's not that he didn't have good players. He just didn't know how to use them

akoto
09-21-2015, 07:30 AM
I can only speak to his wikipedia record lol

His career record doesn't seem to be that good - from 2006-2015 his teams have only made the playoffs twice - one of which was an MLS Supporters Shield Season. Still not great though.

What makes you think he is good enough?
Keeping in mind he was cut loose in LA - a team that had as many DP Egos that we currently have - as well as a hack FO.

I'm not trying to defend Yallop but in LA the only DP he had to coach was Beckham, and that was only for half a season. He was bought out after the season and Ruud Gullit (and we all know how that ended) was brought in.

I agree with most on here though that Frank hasn't adapted to the new realities of this league. In the modern era of MLS, his teams have only made the playoffs twice and have only finished higher then 6th in the conference once.

ensco
09-21-2015, 08:26 AM
There are no "new realities". Soccer is soccer.

That is a bad situation in Chicago.

I'd actually like to see him back with the CMNT, but he told a few too many truths after he left the first time.

akoto
09-21-2015, 08:50 AM
I have to respectfully disagree. I get your point that soccer is soccer but MLS now compared to even 5 years ago is a very different league. The league has evolved tactically, technically and financially. SJ (for one year) and RSL were able to buck the trend for a little while but there is a reason that LA has been so successful over the past few years. They spend (boat loads of) money in the right places and have a technical staff who understand how how to put together a team with the resources available to them.

Fort York Redcoat
09-21-2015, 09:13 AM
And to think, some people wanted him here.

I sure did...in 2008.

I'm surprised reading the thread that that is still the case. Yallop didn't like the TFC organization before. I wonder if he'd consider it now??

Oldtimer
09-21-2015, 11:37 AM
http://m.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2015/09/20/armchair-analyst-breaking-bad-end-line-and-more-week-29

Some interesting thoughts to why fire sucked under yallop. It's not that he didn't have good players. He just didn't know how to use them

Pretty much. Too many people are searching here or there for the person who will "save" this team. Consistency is being under-rated, even a coach like Vanney with some deficiencies can do well in this league if you give him a few years. Vanney is not a Mariner. his weak areas aren't fatal, he clearly is still willing to learn and experiment, and he probably will grow to be a really good coach in this league. Some people want a 'proven' coach to "win now," but if the so-called 'proven' coach is someone who produced years ago under what was quite a different league, they will be sadly disappointed. Then comes the search for a new savior. Rinse, wash, repeat. NYRB went through that for so many years, can't we learn from their stupidity? Do we have to ask for the same thing?

Oldtimer
09-21-2015, 11:40 AM
I sure did...in 2008.

I'm surprised reading the thread that that is still the case. Yallop didn't like the TFC organization before. I wonder if he'd consider it now??

It probably was Anselmi, so maybe he'd take a look now. Funny thing that no-one has mentioned swiping Robbo from the Whitecaps? He loves Toronto. Not that I wouldn't want to give Vanney another season first.

Fort York Redcoat
09-21-2015, 11:54 AM
It probably was Anselmi, so maybe he'd take a look now. Funny thing that no-one has mentioned swiping Robbo from the Whitecaps? He loves Toronto. Not that I wouldn't want to give Vanney another season first.

Vanney is better off than he was 2 years ago. If he left he wouldn't be in the lurch professionally.

Yohan
09-21-2015, 11:54 AM
There are no "new realities". Soccer is soccer.

That is a bad situation in Chicago.

I'd actually like to see him back with the CMNT, but he told a few too many truths after he left the first time.

The reality is that yallop plays soccer suited to less talented mls 1.0 Era. Better coaches have adjusted to reality of mls 3.0 and get more out of their players.

Yallop's primary tactic is still play 2 holding mids and pump the ball up the flank and a cross to some kind of target striker. That no longer works consistently anymore

Yohan
09-21-2015, 11:55 AM

Robbo is better positioned to win cups in a team he built w caps than tfc. What does moving to tfc gain him? Robb won't move from caps unless a good euro offer comes

Yohan
09-21-2015, 11:57 AM
I'm not trying to defend Yallop but in LA the only DP he had to coach was Beckham, and that was only for half a season. He was bought out after the season and Ruud Gullit (and we all know how that ended) was brought in.

Well, there is that Donovan guy...

akoto
09-21-2015, 05:49 PM
Well, there is that Donovan guy...

He was grandfathered and wasn't considered a DP when Yallop was there.

Yohan
09-21-2015, 07:29 PM
He was grandfathered and wasn't considered a DP when Yallop was there.

And you and I know that's mere technicality

akoto
09-21-2015, 09:33 PM
And you and I know that's mere technicality

Sure, but my point was that when Yallop was in LA it was pre MLS 2.0 and there wasn't multiple DPs per team yet and that Frank only really dealt with the beginning of the DP age in LA for like 3 months before being bought out.

jabbronies
09-22-2015, 08:08 AM

I agree with most on here though that Frank hasn't adapted to the new realities of this league. In the modern era of MLS, his teams have only made the playoffs twice and have only finished higher then 6th in the conference once.

He also had Landycakes - maybe not a DP at the time, but that doesn't mean that he was not of that class - with the ego to boot.

But ya he wasn't there long enough to really make an impact. Still, not a good record while he was there.