PDA

View Full Version : Game 29 - Navigating the Rapids - TFC host Colorado Sat Sept 19 2 pm TSN

OgtheDim
09-16-2015, 04:30 PM
(Insert kayak joke here)

Starting this thread now cause the game is going to be a talking point right after the NYCFC tilt tonight.

A reminder - the game is at 2:00 pm. Why? CFL game at 4.
Possible trap game. Colorado playing well of late, until they lost away to Vancouver and tied DCU at home in a game they should have won.

Regardless of what happens tonight in New York, there is only one acceptable result for this game - a win. Our attack is better and our midfield is better and our defence can hold them.

OgtheDim
09-17-2015, 06:04 AM
Shit just got real.

ensco
09-17-2015, 06:13 AM
We need to light a fire in this kayak!

Although you can't have your kayak and heat it too.

Areathrasher
09-17-2015, 08:00 AM
I'd wager a Kantari suspension

https://twitter.com/Ben_Jata/status/644323537776439296

Initial B
09-17-2015, 08:14 AM
Regardless of what happens tonight in New York, there is only one acceptable result for this game - a win. Our attack is better and our midfield is better and our defence can hold them.
That last part is the only thing I can't agree with.

Fort York Redcoat
09-17-2015, 08:31 AM
A reminder - the game is at 2:00 pm. Why? CFL game at 4.

Ah. A great foreshadowing of CFL priority ahead of us.

I personally love a 1pm or 2pm match. The heat shouldn't be much to complain about.

FRANKIE65
09-17-2015, 09:03 AM
I personally love a 1pm or 2pm match. The heat shouldn't be much to complain about.

I second that!! Wish the October 3rd game was 2 PM, too.

Pint
09-17-2015, 11:13 AM
I strongly dislike afternoon games, 7pm games are my favorite.

However this will be the first game in 4 or 5 years I'm missing, will be on an oktoberfest beer crawl in NYC for my brother bachelor party. Damn family interfering with TFC

Joe Kool
09-17-2015, 11:23 AM
All weather looks clear and sunny before and after Saturday. Saturday 90% chance of rain and risk of thunderstorms. What a piece of luck....

OgtheDim
09-17-2015, 11:33 AM
All weather looks clear and sunny before and after Saturday. Saturday 90% chance of rain and risk of thunderstorms. What a piece of luck....

:(

Mind you, this is what I posted last Sunday morning and we all know how that game weather turned out to be.

:scarf:

GAME DAY!!!

Weather

The light rain is supposed to stop around noon

Kick off will be mostly sunny

17 degrees with a slight windchill
30 km from the North
Sunglasses and coats

:prrr:

Areathrasher
09-17-2015, 12:28 PM
From Lufty over at Big Soccer. This is scary...

I am not saying that this will happen by any means, but the EC could look very scary at the end of the weekend.
If Toronto loses to Colorado. NYCFC beats San Jose, Montreal Beats NE, and Orlando beats Chicago. The Standings would look like this.

http://forums.bigsoccer.com/attachments/upload_2015-9-17_11-31-32-png.57135/

Ultra & Proud
09-17-2015, 12:56 PM
From Lufty over at Big Soccer. This is scary...
Oh I know. We could be on the outside looking in after next weekend if we keep this up.

Areathrasher
09-17-2015, 01:02 PM
Oh I know. We could be on the outside looking in after next weekend if we keep this up.

We couldn't beat Colorado at home last year.

Revenge of the Gilberto coming the following Saturday.

Fun couple of weeks...

Ultra & Proud
09-17-2015, 01:10 PM
We couldn't beat Colorado at home last year.

Revenge of the Gilberto coming the following Saturday.

Fun couple of weeks...
It's a TFC September

OgtheDim
09-17-2015, 01:13 PM
People

Colorado has been decent of late.

But they shit the bed like we do.

And the Rapids just leaked that they are going to be bringing in an assistant for the forwards next season - i.e. they are putting their coach on a short leash due to their issues scoring.

This game is the most winnable of all 3 this week.

Ultra & Proud
09-17-2015, 01:23 PM
This game is the most winnable of all 3 this week.
The problem is that this is what it's come to and some people just don't want to see it.

We went from talking about home playoff dates and challenging at the top when our big stretch of home games came up to picking out the roadkill we can scavenge points off. To me, that's sad and unacceptable considering everything that this squad is this year. I refuse to applaud and reward sub-mediocrity.

notthesun
09-17-2015, 01:28 PM
https://twitter.com/WillParchman/status/644561148155662336

good lord please just win this game

Ultra & Proud
09-17-2015, 01:31 PM
https://twitter.com/WillParchman/status/644561148155662336

good lord please just win this game
They will get at least one Saturday.

OgtheDim
09-17-2015, 01:40 PM
...I refuse to applaud and reward sub-mediocrity.

Well apart from the fact that there are demonstrably worse teams then us, then you are going to have issues with any team where the coach is in his first full year.

We have defensive issues.

Our offence is feared.

Our midfield is good one game (NER) and bad another (yesterday).

Fort York Redcoat
09-17-2015, 01:43 PM
Who's applauding? Who's even content with where we are?

We lost a game and not everyone agrees how bad it is.

Same as it ever was.

We can't say what's changed but we can't say it can't change again on Sat.

Graeme
09-17-2015, 01:54 PM
Line up for Saturday?

-------------------Delgado----------------
--Morgan--Bradley--Warner--Jackson--
----Altidore--------------Giovinco-------
---------------Konopka---------------
---Morrow----------------Perquis----
--------------Cheyrou----------------

Stress
09-17-2015, 02:16 PM
We need action Jackson back in the mix. Hopefully he's available soon.

Ultra & Proud
09-17-2015, 02:36 PM
Well apart from the fact that there are demonstrably worse teams then us, then you are going to have issues with any team where the coach is in his first full year.

We have defensive issues.

Our offence is feared.

Our midfield is good one game (NER) and bad another (yesterday).

Was feared.

OgtheDim
09-17-2015, 02:40 PM
Was feared.

Is.

Every team fears those 3 DP's. If we could get our defensive system right, they know we'd be killing this league.

Areathrasher
09-17-2015, 02:45 PM
Line up for Saturday?

-------------------Delgado----------------
--Morgan--Bradley--Warner--Jackson--
----Altidore--------------Giovinco-------
---------------Konopka---------------
---Morrow----------------Perquis----
--------------Cheyrou----------------
http://i.imgur.com/f9A0nTd.gif

KGH
09-17-2015, 02:54 PM
I'd wager a Kantari suspension

https://twitter.com/Ben_Jata/status/644323537776439296

I don't know. The reaction afterwards of everyone including Angelino doesn't really support a deliberate punch.

Ultra & Proud
09-17-2015, 03:23 PM
Is.

Every team fears those 3 DP's. If we could get our defensive system right, they know we'd be killing this league.
Take out Orlando and we haven't scored more than 2 goals in a match since July 25th against Columbus.

Teams should fear those 3 DPs but we can't get the best out of them regularly and recently our offense has been inept at best.

BuSaPuNk
09-17-2015, 05:30 PM
We need to light a fire in this kayak!

Although you can't have your kayak and heat it too.

Burn the boats????

God why do I have a funny feeling Monday we will be discussing how we fight off everyone?

Ossington Mental Youth
09-17-2015, 06:58 PM
Should be a game that we blow them out of the water (no pun intended) but lord knows at this point...

ronzilla
09-17-2015, 08:36 PM
Replace fat Jozy with Findley...im praying !!!

Oldtimer
09-17-2015, 09:13 PM
I say we win this one. 3-2 for the good guys.

ensco
09-17-2015, 11:48 PM
I think we'll win too. We're a disappointing 500 team, not the 1962 Mets.

jloome
09-18-2015, 12:16 AM

I think we all tend to get caught up in the down times because this team has had almost nothing. We're still a few pieces away, but we're not awful. Sometimes we're quite good. Defensive side is sort of universally sub-part right now. Morrow's about the only real starter, and that includes our DMs and goalie. (MB should be playing as a two-way mid, which is his strenght, and Cheyrou should be his backup, as he's too and fades a lot now.)

We might get past the first round, or even go deep, because Seba alone is talented enough to win us games. But we probably won't.

The fact is, we don't have a natural hole player, and yet we keep trying to play a diamond. No one has looked good there; not Bradley, not Delgado, not Osorio. Cheyrou and Warner have both had their moments but neither is in Laba or Alonso's league. Yet we can't go wide because we lack true wingers.

So basically we have talented players, but the wrong balance of them. In the offseason we need to lose a central mid (likely warner) in exchange for a true winger, sign another winger who can also play inside. We need at least one line-leading center back. And we need a shut-it-down defensive midfielder to anchor in front of the line. Then we have options to play multiple tactical shapes. As things are, we're very limited.

Based on everything we've seen this season,I think we'd do best in a flat 433 playing a defensive counter, shifting the middle to the strong side and keep the fullbacks back. Somethign like:

------Altidore--Seba--Moore----
------Bradley--Osorio--Jackson--
Morgan--Zavaleta--Hagglund--Morrow

--I have this sneaking suspicion that Kantari, Williams and Perquis are all complete shit. Zavaleta and Hagglund are young and naive but they work hard and are athletic, at least.
--There's no point looking for width through the middle or on the overlap, as we have no natural wingers or speed out wide. Better to reserve it for the odd surge forward by the fb, with the three mids teaming up to out number the other team on the ball.
-- Moore and Altidore can make themselves useful byusing their size and strength to pull the center backs apart and give Giovinco space to operate.

Something like that.

OgtheDim
09-18-2015, 06:16 AM
Replace fat Jozy with Findley...im praying !!!

And with that comment you prove you have no clue.

ensco
09-18-2015, 07:28 AM
I would like to see Gomez start at striker Saturday. Pair him with Altidore in a 4-3-1-2

Still Kicking
09-18-2015, 07:54 AM
--I have this sneaking suspicion that Kantari, Williams and Perquis are all complete shit. Zavaleta and Hagglund are young and naive but they work hard and are athletic, at least.

jloome - long time reader of your fine contributions and observations. Must debate your comment quoted above. I think that international defenders in the MLS are expected to be impact players yet not given the time to learn the opposing players/combinations/teams/surfaces/strategies. We never got to see much of Perquis paired with Caldwell (an international much further along on the learning curve). I think that Perquis has ball skills that would be attractive when scouting for a player to feed the ball forward to Bradley/Giovinco etc. He was meant to benefit from a vet in MLS, instead he quickly became the vet. Hot head issues? Sure. Making the mistakes one should expect first year in the MLS? Sure. Complete do-do? Not by a long shot. Not sure that Kantari is the perfect central pair partner for Perquis, but hope he has time to become a MLS vet too. The TFC pattern is that they will give up on one of these talented defenders and then we will have to witness their successful growth with another MLS team. Williams is a player I have seen too little of to have a strong opinion on...

You are accurate when you point out that TFC lack wingers but then forget to mention that Vanney style means filling the winger vacuum with backs - Morrow, Morgan, Delgado, Jackson are forever going forward out wide, hopelessly up field and caught out for counter attacks and the "on-the-job" learning central backs are forced to save the day time and time again.

OgtheDim
09-18-2015, 08:57 AM
.... I think that international defenders in the MLS are expected to be impact players yet not given the time to learn the opposing players/combinations/teams/surfaces/strategies. We never got to see much of Perquis paired with Caldwell (an international much further along on the learning curve). I think that Perquis has ball skills that would be attractive when scouting for a player to feed the ball forward to Bradley/Giovinco etc. He was meant to benefit from a vet in MLS, instead he quickly became the vet. Hot head issues? Sure. Making the mistakes one should expect first year in the MLS? Sure. Complete do-do? Not by a long shot. Not sure that Kantari is the perfect central pair partner for Perquis, but hope he has time to become a MLS vet too. The TFC pattern is that they will give up on one of these talented defenders and then we will have to witness their successful growth with another MLS team. Williams is a player I have seen too little of to have a strong opinion on...

You are accurate when you point out that TFC lack wingers but then forget to mention that Vanney style means filling the winger vacuum with backs - Morrow, Morgan, Delgado, Jackson are forever going forward out wide, hopelessly up field and caught out for counter attacks and the "on-the-job" learning central backs are forced to save the day time and time again.

Agreed.

Caldwell going down was a massive loss, as much as people on here ragged on him. The goal was to get through this season with Caldwell & Perquis and then move forward into next season with Perquis and somebody else. Didn't happen. Kantari and Williams were not part of the original plan.

As for the lack of width, Vanney owns that and has to adjust as FB's are not enough width attack in this league.

jloome
09-18-2015, 09:04 AM
jloome - long time reader of your fine contributions and observations. Must debate your comment quoted above. I think that international defenders in the MLS are expected to be impact players yet not given the time to learn the opposing players/combinations/teams/surfaces/strategies. We never got to see much of Perquis paired with Caldwell (an international much further along on the learning curve). I think that Perquis has ball skills that would be attractive when scouting for a player to feed the ball forward to Bradley/Giovinco etc. He was meant to benefit from a vet in MLS, instead he quickly became the vet. Hot head issues? Sure. Making the mistakes one should expect first year in the MLS? Sure. Complete do-do? Not by a long shot. Not sure that Kantari is the perfect central pair partner for Perquis, but hope he has time to become a MLS vet too. The TFC pattern is that they will give up on one of these talented defenders and then we will have to witness their successful growth with another MLS team. Williams is a player I have seen too little of to have a strong opinion on...

Thanks for the compliment, SK! I still disagree entirely about Perquis! I read the comments from Spanish fans and blew it off, figuring that level was just too high for him. But he makes sooo many bad decisions. Multiple per game. His temper/seeming rage is less an issue to me than pure decision making, which has been very poor. I agree he's a number two, not a number one cb, but that's not the role we're using him in! We have no line leader.

I'll defer to your perspective and say that at the very least, we need someone with pedigree next to him. But none of our central defenders gives me confidence.

jloome
09-18-2015, 09:15 AM
I'll also add the concern about players going on to do well elsewhere doesn't really apply here; the one consistent element of our team has being in the bottom five or six in the league, every single season, in defence. We've NEVER had a lockdown defence.

We need a Boswell or Marshall type who is veteran and solid, but knows the league as well.

notthesun
09-18-2015, 09:19 AM
I think that international defenders in the MLS are expected to be impact players yet not given the time to learn the opposing players/combinations/teams/surfaces/strategies. We never got to see much of Perquis paired with Caldwell (an international much further along on the learning curve).

This is a fair point, but there are a lot of examples throughout the league of foreign defenders coming in and having an immediate impact. Goncalves, Ciman, Waston, Collin when he first came over to SKC. I mean even Caldwell did a lot better when he first played for us than Perquis and Kantari have. I would take a healthy Caldwell over both of them in a heartbeat.

It's really concerning to see Perquis showing no signs of improvement with the season nearing its close. Kantari hasn't shown me much to lead me to believe he'll get there either. We just really could have done a lot better than both of them. Could they both get there with time? It's not impossible but I would stay well clear of those odds.

What I hate is that Zavaleta is the only CB on the squad that isn't the type to rush into tackles. He's generally extremely patient and picks his moments well. All our other CBs dive into tackles constantly, it drives me nuts.

Oldtimer
09-18-2015, 11:46 AM
Interestingly enough, the Rapids supporters have their own version of a "deathwatch" thread for their coach Pablo, however he is not going to be replaced but helped by an experienced coach (shades of JFJ):

http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads/official-pablo-as-coach-thread.2002965/page-26

(http://blogs.denverpost.com/rapids/2015/09/17/woody-paige-sources-pablo-mastroeni-to-return-colorado-rapids-2016/27207/)

Richard
09-18-2015, 12:02 PM
Haha that reminds me of when Mariner came into help with the strikers when Winter was managing.

OgtheDim
09-18-2015, 03:00 PM
There will be videos tonight from training. Molinaro is tweeting now about Seba.

He's a team player.

https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/644962004004945921

Areathrasher
09-18-2015, 03:08 PM
Suspension incoming for Kantari per Larson

Fort York Redcoat
09-18-2015, 03:17 PM
https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/644962004004945921

Our newest chapter - The rough patch boys.g:D

OgtheDim
09-18-2015, 03:24 PM
FYI for those of us coming down the right side of the yellow line

Line 1 Yonge-University Weekend Closure

There will be no subway service between Bloor-Yonge and Lawrence stations on September 19 and 20.

molenshtain
09-18-2015, 03:39 PM
FYI for those of us coming down the right side of the yellow line

Line 1 Yonge-University Weekend Closure

There will be no subway service between Bloor-Yonge and Lawrence stations on September 19 and 20.

I swear to god I hate this city a solid 80% of the time.

notthesun
09-18-2015, 04:44 PM
Suspension incoming for Kantari per Larson

A success story for Larson considering he was pretty much campaigning for Kantari to face supplementary discipline.

OgtheDim
09-18-2015, 06:44 PM
A success story for Larson considering he was pretty much campaigning for Kantari to face supplementary discipline.

Nah.....a number of us called it at the time. It was worth a game.

OgtheDim
09-18-2015, 06:56 PM
Buried in the TFC email about this game.

As BMO Field gets ready for the arrival of its covered stands, there may be some congestion at various gates, so arrive early to ensure you get to your seat on time.

MightyDM
09-18-2015, 08:00 PM

Damning and brilliant.

MightyDM
09-18-2015, 08:08 PM
As for the defensive woes: lots of this is the midfield and the attacking style we play. Organization is also poor, partly due to injuries suspensions etc but still poor. I'd put individual player skill at the bottom of the list.

andyboy
09-18-2015, 08:21 PM
Our newest chapter - The rough patch boys.g:D

Love it!

ChrisFizik
09-18-2015, 08:54 PM
following the increasingly-brilliant OgtheDim titles lead, these threads are full of creativity lately all, lifts the mood amongst tactical doom and gloom haha

Rough Patch Boys! Kayak fires!

ChrisFizik
09-18-2015, 08:55 PM
Buried in the TFC email about this game. "As BMO Field gets ready for the arrival of its covered stands, there may be some congestion at various gates, so arrive early to ensure you get to your seat on time."

what does that mean!? Construction tarps already going up?
hm

Hamilton_Red
09-19-2015, 02:00 AM
I get the..."we're not so bad that we'll lose 4 games in a row narrative". But I am concerned that we also have a competing narrative of ... This is TFC and we have put ourselves in a "must win" situation...when was the last time that we won a must win game?

OgtheDim
09-19-2015, 05:59 AM
:scarf: GAME DAY

Weather

Bands of Rain crossing all day including thunderstorms. So, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

22 feeling like 30 at game time.

Winds out of the south west gusting to 30 km/h

Construction And the Like

Line 1 Subway line closed between Lawrence and Bloor - take a Sheppard West 84 out of Sheppard station to Downsview or a 96 Wilson or 165 Weston Bus out of York Mills to head to the West side of the line

1 Gardiner lane closed each way for the rest of the season.

Note for the King Car & for those coming from the Junction: Roncasvalles closed between Dundas West and Queen West. The King Cars will be out of whack a bit because of that.

Couchy81
09-19-2015, 08:07 AM
I'm gonna miss that Pan Am games express bus out of Dundas West to the dufferin gates. Easiest ride to BMO I've ever had. Ahh well.

CBTFC
09-19-2015, 08:22 AM
Winds out of the south west gusting to 30

TWN hourly forecast has 33km/h winds gusting up to 49km/h around 2pm

Shit winds are gonna be blowin' Ricky

andyboy
09-19-2015, 08:39 AM
TWN hourly forecast has 33km/h winds gusting up to 49km/h around 2pm

Shit winds are gonna be blowin' Ricky

"F*ck the game, let's get drunk and eat chicken fingers"

69Chevy396
09-19-2015, 10:06 AM
what does that mean!? Construction tarps already going up?
hm
Do the MLSE executives really believe the declining interest in the team will be mitigated by the construction of a canopy? Many empty seats even when the team plays well, and now that they are in the autumn collapse period, they can expect far fewer attendees. I was offered free seats, but I am not going. Unlike fanatical Leafs fans who will pay to watch and support mediocrity, I prefer the route taken by so many baseball fans in the city...play poorly, I stay away....play well, I return. The cart has to come before the horse.

ManUtd4ever
09-19-2015, 10:12 AM
As a long suffering TFC supporter, I hate September. For the love of all that is holy, can we please break the trend?

There is far too much talent on this squad to implode again down the stretch.

Fort York Redcoat
09-19-2015, 10:27 AM
Do the MLSE executives really believe the declining interest in the team will be mitigated by the construction of a canopy? Many empty seats even when the team plays well, and now that they are in the autumn collapse period, they can expect far fewer attendees. I was offered free seats, but I am not going. Unlike fanatical Leafs fans who will pay to watch and support mediocrity, I prefer the route taken by so many baseball fans in the city...play poorly, I stay away....play well, I return. The cart has to come before the horse.

Don't forget the lack of fairweather today...

On my way down now. See the rest of you at Joe's.

69Chevy396
09-19-2015, 10:30 AM
As a long suffering TFC supporter, I hate September. For the love of all that is holy, can we please break the trend?

There is far too much talent on this squad too implode again down the stretch.
It is crazy, I know. How a team can be so bad for nearly a decade. Other teams in MLS have collapsed, rebuilt, won, collapsed, rebuilt again in the same time. It remains a third tier league in world football, attracting very average players, so when you do have a few gems on the team, there are nil excuses for sucking the way we do. The one common thread perhaps rests with the men at the top, who have consistently introduced rookies to coach the team. This may be the underlying difference and factor that separates TFC from other MLS clubs. It is hard to measure when we have never had a proven winning and fully experienced manager at the start of a season. I don't know a lot about formations, tactics, strategies, but when I see other teams appear far better at these things, despite having weaker players, I know something is fudamentally wrong here.

69Chevy396
09-19-2015, 10:36 AM
Don't forget the lack of fairweather today...

On my way down now. See the rest of you at Joe's.
Not sure I get the fair weather comment. Sports entertainment is an industry, not a cult.

molenshtain
09-19-2015, 10:58 AM
Not sure I get the fair weather comment. Sports entertainment is an industry, not a cult.

Some people value the tradition of going to games with their friends and supporting the team regardless of results. It's a second home for lot's of people here. Then there are people like you who only get behind the team when we're doing well, and that's fine too. It just means our highest highs will taste a lot better for the rest of us who stuck around when times got tough.

trane
09-19-2015, 11:06 AM
there is not declining interest in the team, there is a rising frustration that the team is not getting over the hump. Everyone I know is interested in this team.

69Chevy396
09-19-2015, 11:35 AM
Some people value the tradition of going to games with their friends and supporting the team regardless of results. It's a second home for lot's of people here. Then there are people like you who only get behind the team when we're doing well, and that's fine too. It just means our highest highs will taste a lot better for the rest of us who stuck around when times got tough.
I get it, and don't disagree. In fact, one of the few consistently interesting aspects to the BMO experience is watching the RPB cheering even when the team is putrid. But even that has limits. Most people in the city do not belong to a supporters group, in fact, most attendees at BMO do not actively participate in the chants etc. The Dichio chant is virtually non existent outside of your area now....except for when the team plays well, and are winning. Big difference in the atmosphere when the team is winning. That is what I enjoy, the good football, with results. I don't drink, I don't socialize at the game, I just watch intensely. Would I prefer the distraction of being caught up in the swell of chanting, screaming, jumping? Nope. I appreciate it, but would rather watch the game and only cheer when something on the field prompts it.

notthesun
09-19-2015, 12:09 PM
https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/645281293043830784

https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/645282423672958976

https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/645281959317409795

Ivy
09-19-2015, 12:19 PM
I trully don't understand the constant experiments with the back 4.

ag futbol
09-19-2015, 12:20 PM
I trully don't understand the constant experiments with the back 4.
Yeah I agree. At a certain point you just have to decide what you're going to go with and stick with it. Shuffling all the time retards the process.

Not a fan of the flat 4 with this lineup. Findley just sucks more often than not and osorio doesn't have the pace to play wide. Narrow diamond seems more appropriate.

notthesun
09-19-2015, 12:35 PM
Not a fan of the flat 4 with this lineup. Findley just sucks more often than not and osorio doesn't have the pace to play wide. Narrow diamond seems more appropriate.

I suspect that's how they're going to play it anyways. I like that we're going back to what we've used most often this season... wouldn't be surprised to see Giovinco get more chances today with this set up.

notthesun
09-19-2015, 01:10 PM
Ugh, Vic Rauter again. TSN sorely needs a better B team play-by-play guy.

jloome
09-19-2015, 01:22 PM
Ugh, Vic Rauter again. TSN sorely needs a better B team play-by-play guy.

After nearly thirty years of his voice, it's hard to even listen to and associate with football. I just get a whole "Wayne and Schuster/Live it Up" era vibe, which is probably totally unfair.

jloome
09-19-2015, 01:29 PM
Seba! Looks like Vanney has picked the right readjustment with the 442. Tons of space and movement. Other team not ready for it. He had to do something, and he did.

jloome
09-19-2015, 01:31 PM
And.... that's two.

notthesun
09-19-2015, 01:31 PM
Yeah, that's enough tinkering with the formation now Vanney. I know this is Colorado but we obviously look more in sync playing a simple 4-4-2 diamond.

andyboy
09-19-2015, 01:32 PM
Who are these guys and where have they been hiding?

Hamilton_Red
09-19-2015, 01:37 PM
He had to tinker at the back Kantari is suspended.

Hamilton_Red
09-19-2015, 01:38 PM
2nd goal was a beut..shudder to think what this season would have been like if GIo had been injured or was American.

andyboy
09-19-2015, 01:45 PM
Thunderbolt and lightning,
Very, very frightening me.
(Giovinco) Giovinco.
(Giovinco) Giovinco,
Giovinco in on goal
Magnifico.:drum:

jloome
09-19-2015, 01:51 PM
(Giovinco) Giovinco.
(Giovinco) Giovinco,
Giovinco in on goal

And Al-tidore missed a header at the post
for free, for freee, for freeeeeee.......!

Hamilton_Red
09-19-2015, 01:54 PM
Kanopka - brutal on that cross.

jloome
09-19-2015, 01:55 PM
Think Konopka would like the decision to come off his line back there....

notthesun
09-19-2015, 01:56 PM
That one's on Konopka.

Hamilton_Red
09-19-2015, 01:56 PM
This game is not won yet. Chaos at the back.

Loyal
09-19-2015, 01:58 PM
Did anyone else notice Figueroa give an extended "middle finger" to fans in the sideline seats during the 23rd minute?

In any other league that is a serious suspension

bimmer
09-19-2015, 01:58 PM
So fucking sick of Konopka and his terrible decision making on balls in the box.

notthesun
09-19-2015, 01:59 PM
Shaky towards the end there but still a good half. Just regroup and kill the game off 2nd half.

ronzilla
09-19-2015, 02:09 PM
Giovinco so close to winning the Golden Boot. Hope he bags another 2.

ronzilla
09-19-2015, 02:12 PM
Perquis looked like he wanted to kill someone with his goal celebration.

Loyal
09-19-2015, 02:20 PM
It is storming like Katrina in Etobicoke right now - BMO must be in a weather bubble

PopePouri
09-19-2015, 02:25 PM
I want Findley back next season.

jloome
09-19-2015, 02:29 PM
I want Findley back next season.

Paid too much and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, but a pretty decent inside-out winger. He's been good today. Holy fucking rain.

Hamilton_Red
09-19-2015, 02:29 PM
Get Gio subbed now. Time to kill the game off.

PopePouri
09-19-2015, 02:30 PM
Paid too much and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, but a pretty decent inside-out winger. He's been good today. Holy fucking rain.

Yeah for less money obviously.

Inklink
09-19-2015, 02:32 PM
Can they not pause the game until this cell passes by.

Inklink
09-19-2015, 02:34 PM
Man Jozy...looks like if it doesn't land in the perfect spot he won't bother going for it.

jloome
09-19-2015, 02:38 PM
We're not active enough right now. Bad time in the game.

ag futbol
09-19-2015, 02:43 PM
What a BS yellow card for moore

Inklink
09-19-2015, 02:48 PM
Vic Rauter is terrible.

As is this ref.

jloome
09-19-2015, 03:00 PM
All I can say is Pablo Mastroieanni must be one shit coach, because Colorado has some decent players, but they're like watching us under Mariner.

Richard
09-19-2015, 03:02 PM
Well that's a relief, the next two games should be easy wins now that it isn't all doom and gloom.

jloome
09-19-2015, 03:05 PM
GIovinco is PISSED about the officiating.

69Chevy396
09-19-2015, 03:08 PM
Well that's a relief, the next two games should be easy wins now that it isn't all doom and gloom.
Best game in months. Thanks to Giovinco, it resulted in a win. Perquis, Osorio, Bradley played very well. The keeper made two decnt saves, but looked shaky all game, and the goal was his fault. Disappointed in Altidore: his only usefulness these days is to draw cover from the Italian.

notthesun
09-19-2015, 03:08 PM
I don't really like that we took our foot off the gas in the 2nd half, but I guess I can't complain because we pretty much killed off the game. Colorado's tactics are non-existent, they have skill guys like Torres and Sanchez out wide but all they do is pound balls into the box. They did nothing with all the possession we gave them.

Definitely stick with this formation going forward and I say keep this CB pairing too. Williams and Perquis handled the crossing onslaught with virtually no issues.

Osorio was good today.

Redcoe15
09-19-2015, 03:09 PM
Gio is the man! Well worthy of Man of the Match and RPB Man of the Year for 2015!

Reffing is bullshit!

jloome
09-19-2015, 03:12 PM
Gio is the man! Well worthy of Man of the Match and RPB Man of the Year for 2015!

Reffing is bullshit!

It's unfortunate that PRO is not keeping pace with the league improvements. They're literally behind the call in every game.

ag futbol
09-19-2015, 03:12 PM
All I can say is Pablo Mastroieanni must be one shit coach, because Colorado has some decent players, but they're like watching us under Mariner.
Yep, agreed. They lack a real consistent quality finisher but they have a decent roster.

For anyone who thought this was a foredrawn conclusion, Vancouver struggled to break these guys down mid week ... so credit where it's due.

ronzilla
09-19-2015, 03:22 PM
Best game in months. Thanks to Giovinco, it resulted in a win. Perquis, Osorio, Bradley played very well. The keeper made two decnt saves, but looked shaky all game, and the goal was his fault. Disappointed in Altidore: his only usefulness these days is to draw cover from the Italian.

Agreed, He does absolutely nothing game in and game out. He is not even a threat vs weaker opponents. I would be happy to see him gone next year.

69Chevy396
09-19-2015, 03:23 PM
Yep, agreed. They lack a real consistent quality finisher but they have a decent roster.

For anyone who thought this was a foredrawn conclusion, Vancouver struggled to break these guys down mid week ... so credit where it's due.
Except for five minutes of Giovincos brilliance, the game was even, and Colorado had more scoring chances, which they screwed up with regularity. Giovinco scored both goals out of nothing, and his corner may be the finest ever taken by a TFC player....curled, right on the money...considering we score only a few goals off corners each season, this was pretty much his game.

69Chevy396
09-19-2015, 03:24 PM
Agreed, He does absolutely nothing game in and game out. He is not even a threat vs weaker opponents. I would be happy to see him gone next year.
It would be nice if we could give him to Vancouver for Laba.

jloome
09-19-2015, 03:26 PM

He contributes a little here and there but seems to have no striker instinct; if there's a chance there or he has no option but to run with it, he will. But otherwise he plays like a cog in a machine, same as he did at Sunderland. Unless it's served up on a platter, he won't look for goals. Too laid back to be a striker at his level or something. Just doesn't seem to get it.

ag futbol
09-19-2015, 03:36 PM
Except for five minutes of Giovincos brilliance, the game was even, and Colorado had more scoring chances, which they screwed up with regularity. Giovinco scored both goals out of nothing, and his corner may be the finest ever taken by a TFC player....curled, right on the money...considering we score only a few goals off corners each season, this was pretty much his game.
This is pretty comical stuff. Giovinco had a good game - the result was about a lot more than just him.

bones
09-19-2015, 04:09 PM
So the reason why the man of the match just ducked down the tunnel at the end as quickly as he could was due to him being pissed at the refs?

BelfastBoy
09-19-2015, 04:11 PM
Vic Rauter is woeful.

Couchy81
09-19-2015, 04:19 PM
The ref blew a bit call on a break away. Seba got hacked and the call went the other way. I'd be pissed too. Then getting subbed. Human nature etc.

69Chevy396
09-19-2015, 04:23 PM
This is pretty comical stuff. Giovinco had a good game - the result was about a lot more than just him.
Minus those five minutes, Colorado was the better team.

molenshtain
09-19-2015, 04:26 PM
Minus those five minutes, Colorado was the better team.

no they weren't.

SKB
09-19-2015, 04:27 PM
Well a good and needed win. First half was good football from TFC. If we can win the next two games at home we are in good shape. However, this game had some of our usual themes both good and bad. Giovinvo is a tremendous player he was in on all three goals. Altidore just does not get "stuck in" he loses two many one on one battles and misses too many sitters in front of the net. Goal tending for TFC is not consistent. We need a number one goalie. Back line was another combination of 4 players and at times lacked cohesion.

ronzilla
09-19-2015, 04:51 PM
Seba was pissed because he was subbed off. You don't sub off a player who scored 2 goals with just 7 minutes left. Idiotic move from vanney, but then again, this is vanney and nothing suprise's me anymore from him.

notthesun
09-19-2015, 04:53 PM
Seba was pissed because he was subbed off. You don't sub off a player who scored 2 goals with just 7 minutes left. Idiotic move from vanney, but then again, this is vanney and nothing suprise's me anymore from him.

The game was won and the pitch was slippery... if Giovinco hurts himself in those last minutes you're on here calling Vanney a moron for not taking him out.

notthesun
09-19-2015, 04:56 PM
Apparently Perquis was upset with the media in the post-game scrum and had a go at Larson.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/giovincos-mvp-performance-leads-tfc-to-victory/

" 'Don’t look at me like that. You’re not my family,' Perquis said repeatedly to Larson, who was standing across the room."

Ivy
09-19-2015, 05:26 PM
Apparently Perquis was upset with the media in the post-game scrum and had a go at Larson.

Good. Larson put in a lot of work to make sure everybody notices Kantari's punch. Don't expect respect from players when you do that to their teammates, especially when TFC is already down.

Oldtimer
09-19-2015, 05:27 PM
Get Gio subbed now. Time to kill the game off.

The game was won and the pitch was slippery... if Giovinco hurts himself in those last minutes you're on here calling Vanney a moron for not taking him out.

Hamilton Red called it correctly before Vanney did it. The refs weren't protecting Seba, Colorado were being very physical with him, the pitch was slippery, and the game was already won. Vanney made the right call. Sure Seba wants to play, but he's playing a lot more than he did in Italy and no one needs to lose a key asset. I'm sure he'll be fine with it afterwards.

Oldtimer
09-19-2015, 05:39 PM
My thoughts about the game:

1. The crowd was very subdued, but those RPB in 111/112 brought it all game, rain or shine.

2. 4-4-2 flat, or our earlier diamond are the best formations in most situations.

3. Seba is fantastic. One of the best players in the league, maybe the best. Give him service and he shines.

4. Our defense does incredibly stupid things like pass in front of our net, or get caught on the wrong side of a player. Is that Vanney's fault or just really poor players? I was coaching this stuff out of youth players when I coached, are these players so bad yhat they don't know defending 101? It's hard to think its Vanney's fault, by thr time you are a pro you should not do these things.

5. We are now out of the race for the wooden spoon.t

ensco
09-19-2015, 05:41 PM
I believe Seba boiled over after the play at the height of the rainstorm, where he got cut down right on the run by the last man, a straight red, and the guy only got yellow.

I think he was also mad about being subbed off. Why, I am not sure.

I agree with those he think he should not have been playing in that rain, that was a hamstring injury waiting to happen.

CBTFC
09-19-2015, 05:42 PM
He should've been subbed off much earlier, IMO. As others have said, no need to risk an injury when we're up 3-1.

ensco
09-19-2015, 05:44 PM
(Giovinco) Giovinco.
(Giovinco) Giovinco,
Giovinco in on goal

:thumbsup:

Bravo!

Soccerpro
09-19-2015, 05:46 PM
Delgado as FB against a good team isn't going to cut it.

Great game by Giovinco.

ensco
09-19-2015, 05:47 PM
And Al-tidore missed a header at the post
for free, for freee, for freeeeeee.......!

Very good also!

Richard
09-19-2015, 05:57 PM

" 'Don’t look at me like that. You’re not my family,' Perquis said repeatedly to Larson, who was standing across the room."

Oh now I'm interested in what this was about.

Red4ever
09-19-2015, 05:57 PM
Any reason we had that banner in our section?

I'm all for the message of refugees welcome but plugging a website with a political message like that one should be a group decision no?

Not a big deal but in the future it's something to consider.

Initial B
09-19-2015, 06:00 PM
I can breathe a sigh of relief after that game. TFC was the better team the first half, but then the heavens opened so I don't take much from the second half. Playing in sheeting rain is pretty miserable. One step closer to the playoffs...

flamehawk
09-19-2015, 06:10 PM

I'm all for the message of refugees welcome but plugging a website with a political message like that one should be a group decision no?

Throughout the week, we were contacted by various season seat holders whom had complained to their ticket reps about the ban. We were told that the ticket reps claimed the ban was a mistake and the club had reversed its decision. We contacted someone higher up at TFC whom confirmed the decision. http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/mlse-changes-tune-tells-fans-they-can-display-refugees-welcome-banner-at-toronto-fc-games

We unfurled in our section once again and was kindly invited by a couple RPB members to bring the banner over to 112. Everyone was very supportive and if people opposed, we were more than willing to mediate or even return to our section but no one appeared to do so. Thanks for the support everyone!

https://twitter.com/edwardhswong/status/645372294316060672 Photos of the banner.

DinamoTFC
09-19-2015, 06:19 PM
Perquis looked like he wanted to kill someone with his goal celebration.

perquis is annoying, always trying to fight or act like a tough guy

OgtheDim
09-19-2015, 06:21 PM
3 points and we deserved to win.

Meh...haters on Altidore are going to hate. Guy is a load and makes any header towards him winnable (which is something we have not had since Dichio). He's scored goals and made goals and runs channels and works his ass off. That some think he's lazy is...lazy. Guy works hard and gets beat up all the time to create spaces that others can exploit. Its like watching Gilberto, only Jozy is in shape, actually scores, gets the ball offf of headers, goes where he needs to go towards, and can lay off sweet sweet passes (I counted 5 in the first half).

Colarado is poor and were out of that game until the weather made going forward in the second half almost impossible. That was dreadful and if you were not there you just don't understand the conditions.

Their one defender should have had a DOGSO foul and instead the foul went on Giovinco. Then after that, another probable DOGSO foul only gets a yellow. No wonder Seba was pissed.

Roll on next week.

:scarf:

jazzy
09-19-2015, 06:27 PM

Yup up just think without Gio would Vanney still be here . Why do we seem to be 2 different teams 1rst half / 2nd half . Our last ten minutes of far too many games are spent bunkering . In our end . Heart attack stuff , with our liabilities .

Cashcleaner
09-19-2015, 06:35 PM
perquis is annoying, always trying to fight or act like a tough guy

Glad I wasn't the only one thinking it. If he backed it up with more consistent performances, I wouldn't mind. The league seems full of guys with similar attitudes at times.

Hamilton_Red
09-19-2015, 06:36 PM
Good result and much needed break in the recent trend. The 10 minutes before half time after their goal were hairy - looked like we were about to collapse at the back. Half time break was good and steadied the ship. It could have easily been 3-2 going in to half time and then the 2nd half would have been different. Doesn't sem to be good chemistry ... Perquis goal celebration he grabbed Gio by neck/face and pushed him away - was weird to me. Bradley is better playing deeper and with some defensive duties - he needs to keep playing there. But how a player of that calibre can go on long solo dribble so often and lose the ball with out passing is beyond me.

Hamilton_Red
09-19-2015, 06:39 PM
Hamilton Red called it correctly before Vanney did it. The refs weren't protecting Seba, Colorado were being very physical with him, the pitch was slippery, and the game was already won. Vanney made the right call. Sure Seba wants to play, but he's playing a lot more than he did in Italy and no one needs to lose a key asset. I'm sure he'll be fine with it afterwards.

I was saying to sub him at around 60 and give hima proper rest and protect him. Take him off in the last 5 minutes seemed pointless. It's good see a player upset abput being taken off - nothing wrong with that.

69Chevy396
09-19-2015, 06:47 PM
Glad I wasn't the only one thinking it. If he backed it up with more consistent performances, I wouldn't mind. The league seems full of guys with similar attitudes at times.
His performance today was the best from any defender this season. If he puts a string of good performances together, his Gattuso-like approach to the game will be worthy of of admiration. I like that he called out the reporter after the game.

ensco
09-19-2015, 07:00 PM
His performance today was the best from any defender this season. If he puts a string of good performances together, his Gattuso-like approach to the game will be worthy of of admiration. I like that he called out the reporter after the game.

Perquis is more of a Martin Saric type, I'd say.

69Chevy396
09-19-2015, 07:02 PM
Perquis is more of a Martin Saric type, I'd say.
Forgot about that mope. At least TFC didnt have a late game brain fart like the Jays did.

MightyDM
09-19-2015, 07:34 PM

Gotta call BS on that. Total and utter BS. I was there, and we were totally dominant. Took our foot of the gas, but in the same way us doing well after we are down 2-0 doesn't suggest we are good, anything after 3-0 up is virtually irrelevant. Colorado barely had a touch until Konopka got too aggressive on that corner.

burlington Red
09-19-2015, 07:36 PM
There's actually more people on here tonight than where that the game. ....

Red4ever
09-19-2015, 07:46 PM
Throughout the week, we were contacted by various season seat holders whom had complained to their ticket reps about the ban. We were told that the ticket reps claimed the ban was a mistake and the club had reversed its decision. We contacted someone higher up at TFC whom confirmed the decision. http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/mlse-changes-tune-tells-fans-they-can-display-refugees-welcome-banner-at-toronto-fc-games

We unfurled in our section once again and was kindly invited by a couple RPB members to bring the banner over to 112. Everyone was very supportive and if people opposed, we were more than willing to mediate or even return to our section but no one appeared to do so. Thanks for the support everyone!

https://twitter.com/edwardhswong/status/645372294316060672 Photos of the banner.

I wasn't gonna put up a fuss, doesn't mean I like the precedent.

Are you connected with the group? Why the need for .ca? And not just "refugees welcome"?

burlington Red
09-19-2015, 07:47 PM

the rpb section was half empty as it was cold and the jays were on also lol......

69Chevy396
09-19-2015, 08:01 PM
Gotta call BS on that. Total and utter BS. I was there, and we were totally dominant. Took our foot of the gas, but in the same way us doing well after we are down 2-0 doesn't suggest we are good, anything after 3-0 up is virtually irrelevant. Colorado barely had a touch until Konopka got too aggressive on that corner.
The game is 90 minutes long, and the second half was dominated by Colorado, but they were lousy finishers. Without Giovinco, this could have easily been a 0-1 defeat. And, you forget the several good chances in the last ten minutes of the first half by Colorado. It was certainly an even contest, except for Giovinco. And, that is a good thing. I think most supporters will agree that without him, we would as bad as last season.

Loyal
09-19-2015, 09:21 PM
You are right on.....without Seba no chance they make the playoffs.....win, lose or draw they need to make multiple changes

molenshtain
09-19-2015, 09:30 PM
You are right on.....without Seba no chance they make the playoffs.....win, lose or draw they need to make multiple changes

what do all the other top teams in this league look like without their star players?

portu
09-19-2015, 09:51 PM
Win against Colorado means nothing to me lets see it repeated over the next two games

molenshtain
09-19-2015, 09:55 PM
Win against Colorado means nothing to me lets see it repeated over the next two games

wins against Chicago and philly will mean something to you but not a win against the Rapids? Colorado is marginally better than both of those teams.

OgtheDim
09-19-2015, 10:01 PM

Looked like 18K - stadium call was 19K.

Don't judge things based on the East side.

OgtheDim
09-19-2015, 10:05 PM

But a loss would have meant a lot I figure.

The result, given what else happened in the East tonight, means we stay ahead of everybody and creep towards 4th. If that means nothing, I'm not sure what would.

MightyDM
09-19-2015, 10:08 PM
The game is 90 minutes long, and the second half was dominated by Colorado, but they were lousy finishers. Without Giovinco, this could have easily been a 0-1 defeat. And, you forget the several good chances in the last ten minutes of the first half by Colorado. It was certainly an even contest, except for Giovinco. And, that is a good thing. I think most supporters will agree that without him, we would as bad as last season.

Sorry, it was not remotely an even contest. We could easily have been 5-0 up before they had a sniff. And we even had the edge in the torrential rain. Your view is not reasonable or rational. Did we let up a bit after 3-0? Sure. But it was 3-0. Three. That's a big lead in soccer.

MightyDM
09-19-2015, 10:09 PM

i was there and was thinking 18-20. 19 is totally fair.

ag futbol
09-19-2015, 10:09 PM
what do all the other top teams in this league look like without their star players?
Don't even bother, it's a lost cause.

Meanwhile in logic land - we only need be better than Phily and Chicago plus two expansion teams to make the playoffs in the Eastern conference.

OgtheDim
09-19-2015, 10:15 PM
Don't even bother, it's a lost cause.

Meanwhile in logic land - we only need be better than Phily and Chicago plus two expansion teams to make the playoffs in the Eastern conference.

People only have a choice of a pop and Fries in a combo at MacDonald's and yet they still go.

Hamilton_Red
09-19-2015, 10:16 PM
When they scored their goal we wobbled pretty badly for a few minutes - could have easily gone to 3-2 shortly after that. That's been a problem for us all season - we need to focus, stay calm and control games..this team can play very well they just have to mature (Vanney needs to be able to coach this). There are periods in games when you just have to stifle the opposition and break up play and take the steam out of them.

MightyDM
09-19-2015, 10:24 PM
When they scored their goal we wobbled pretty badly for a few minutes - could have easily gone to 3-2 shortly after that. That's been a problem for us all season - we need to focus, stay calm and control games..this team can play very well they just have to mature (Vanney needs to be able to coach this). There are periods in games when you just have to stifle the opposition and break up play and take the steam out of them.

sure. But the biggest problem under Vanney is conceding the first goal - his record on that is shocking. Sometimes giving up a goal after we score, but the far bigger issue is the opponents scoring first.

ag futbol
09-19-2015, 10:27 PM
People only have a choice of a pop and Fries in a combo at MacDonald's and yet they still go.
Yes, but you have to supersize the fries otherwise you leave hungry.

This conversation is getting increasingly murky.

To clarify: I agree with what he said said, I just don't think the other posters will be convinced we played a decent game.

portu
09-19-2015, 10:54 PM
wins against Chicago and philly will mean something to you but not a win against the Rapids? Colorado is marginally better than both of those teams.
Its about consistency

portu
09-19-2015, 11:00 PM
But a loss would have meant a lot I figure.

The result, given what else happened in the East tonight, means we stay ahead of everybody and creep towards 4th. If that means nothing, I'm not sure what would.
Of course a loss would have meant a lot have you seen Colorado this year they're the definition of shit. Compare us to them and anything other than a win would be an upset, especially at home.

Obviously the standings are significant, but when you look at the performance of this team versus expectation the expectation is not to end up scrapping for fourth place.

Hamilton_Red
09-19-2015, 11:24 PM
We really need the next two games and some momentum into the last couple of games against tough opponents. We need to treat every match as a must win game now. MightyDm you are absolutely right - giving up the first goal for this team is crucial - our first goal was lucky today - but we capitalized on it and that was important.

Ultra & Proud
09-19-2015, 11:28 PM
Of course a loss would have meant a lot have you seen Colorado this year they're the definition of shit. Compare us to them and anything other than a win would be an upset, especially at home.

Obviously the standings are significant, but when you look at the performance of this team versus expectation the expectation is not to end up scrapping for fourth place.
Say what you want about Colorado but before today they'd have been in 6th in the east and got to that point total versus a lot of west opposition. You should rethink the definition of shit.

dupont
09-19-2015, 11:32 PM
Pretty good win today! One thing I was curious about was if Perquis and Giovinco have some kind of beef? Weird body language today

ensco
09-19-2015, 11:34 PM
The games against NY and Columbus will tell us quite a bit.

The others, less so. But we needed to win today.

I'm not dwelling on this one, or the next two, really.

portu
09-19-2015, 11:48 PM
Say what you want about Colorado but before today they'd have been in 6th in the east and got to that point total versus a lot of west opposition. You should rethink the definition of shit.
All the teams below us in the east are shit, what's your point?

jloome
09-20-2015, 12:15 AM
Pretty good win today! One thing I was curious about was if Perquis and Giovinco have some kind of beef? Weird body language today

Maybe Giovinco had words with the underperformers.

SirBobSaget
09-20-2015, 12:34 AM
They dominated a game they we're expected to win, so confused about the negativity.

hulkrogan
09-20-2015, 01:09 AM
Perquis is a headcase. His "celebration" with Giovinco was weird. I wouldn't be surprised if his teammates hate him. I think a guy that is constantly having to be calmed down by his teammates is an unneeded distraction. He's not good enough to have to put up with that crap.

Hamilton_Red
09-20-2015, 01:13 AM

Colorado would be in the play-off in the East. They were a long way from shit except for the keeper's mistake on the first. They do have the advantage of having a lack of oxygen when they play at home

Auzzy
09-20-2015, 01:41 AM
I watched Seba when he was subbed off. Likely he wasn't too happy to be taken off, but I don't think it was the main issue. He shook Vanney's and Frasier's hand immediately.

I think Seba was mostly pissed about the ref. He wasn't consistently biased; there were some calls in TFC's favour. However he would often let a huge amount of rough stuff go from Colorado's players on defence, but then call a foul on the Toronto player who had gotten fouled first. E.g., against Altidore, Seba, and others. And some of the yellow cards were a joke.

ensco
09-20-2015, 07:59 AM
Perquis is a headcase. His "celebration" with Giovinco was weird. I wouldn't be surprised if his teammates hate him. I think a guy that is constantly having to be calmed down by his teammates is an unneeded distraction. He's not good enough to have to put up with that crap.

This guy is a complete mystery to me, and is Exhibit A of our busted non-DP international strategy.

He had a regular game for a lesser team in Ligue 1 for a few years, that ended in 2012, great. He moves to Betis, mostly a second division team, and gets hurt quite badly a couple of times, such that he barely plays for 3 years ... and that's the pedigree of a guy we give him a $375K contract?

Can we just get Maynor Figueroa next time?

ManUtd4ever
09-20-2015, 08:24 AM
We needed to stop the bleeding and get some breathing room in the standings, and we accomplished that in convincing fashion against a sub par opponent.

My concern is that as the season progresses, it has become increasingly evident that this team would very likely be out of a playoff spot in the Eastern Conference if it were not for Giovinco, and there is too much talent on the roster for that to be the case. Our offensive output has been excellent due in large part to Giovinco, but our goals against is second worst in the league.

I have been supportive of Vanney throughout the season for the sake of preaching patience and stability, but despite our sub par goalkeeping on several occasions this season, I can't help but wonder if a defense oriented coach would be able to get a lot more out of this roster next season.

trane
09-20-2015, 09:11 AM
I am not going to get too negative, using two DMs with Osario in fron of them, at least that is what i looked to me, worked, it was one of the alternatives I had hoped we could use. We did not look great defending once we went one down, but we did grind it out, and I like that.

Seeing Jozy in the middle was good.

Ultra & Proud
09-20-2015, 09:27 AM
All the teams below us in the east are shit, what's your point?
You just said my point. The Rapids aren't as shit as made out. They managed 34 points against tough western opponents and had enough points to be one game back of us if they were in the east before the matches yesterday. And they didn't get to play Orlando, NYCFC, Chicago, and Philly numerous times.

Not saying beating then is some kind of great feat but it's not like we beat Chivas from last year or anything.

jazzy
09-20-2015, 10:03 AM

Perquis had his best game ever yesterday , and after the goal he was pointing out the PERFECT kick from Gio ?? And they were showboating.......if plays like he did yesterday we may win (1) playoff , at least ......it's our only hope because our D and keeper are playing as individuals . Did you not see him rush in and calm down Gio after the BS calls . Yes Gio screamed in Italian at everyone after our poor loss in NY in the dressing rm , so like the winner he is , he hated looking ridiculous . That show of strength was simply teammates of different talent but the same intensity to win . Ever seen Alonso ?

dupont
09-20-2015, 10:07 AM
Does anyone know how to view the stats for the game? Things like possession, shots on target etc? I can never seem to find it on the TFC site but I'm sure it must be there and I'm just not seeing it.

Areathrasher
09-20-2015, 10:11 AM
Does anyone know how to view the stats for the game? Things like possession, shots on target etc? I can never seem to find it on the TFC site but I'm sure it must be there and I'm just not seeing it.

http://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2015-09-19-toronto-fc-vs-colorado-rapids/stats

dupont
09-20-2015, 10:14 AM
http://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2015-09-19-toronto-fc-vs-colorado-rapids/stats

Thanks!

Shakes McQueen
09-20-2015, 10:41 AM

Go watch Perquis' goal celebration on YouTube. Seba hugs him, and Perquis essentially escapes from the hug to run off on his own, then celebrate with his other teammates.

Weird situation, to be sure. Kinda wish someone would ask him about it, just to gauge his reaction.

OgtheDim
09-20-2015, 11:03 AM
And yet when we watch the first goal by Giovinco (admittedly not a steady shot over time on Giovinco) we get a weird thing with Bradley but Perquis going up to Giovinco to celebrate.

Areathrasher
09-20-2015, 11:15 AM
And yet when we watch the first goal by Giovinco (admittedly not a steady shot over time on Giovinco) we get a weird thing with Bradley but Perquis going up to Giovinco to celebrate.

Seba hugging and lifting Bradley from behind? It did seem a little strange all right, i got a 'cheer up Mike' vibe from it.

dupont
09-20-2015, 11:26 AM

I just watched it and there was nothing weird with Bradley there. He just doesn't like to celebrate one goal leads too much. He still gave Giovinco a pat on the side for the goal. I've noticed that from other matches that he seems to not feel comfortable celebrating too much until they are two goals up or more.
I may have read into the Perquis thing too much though. He definitely looked angry but it was probably just a "shut up" to the media that doubted him.
Especially considering Perquis specifically thanks Giovinco for the assist on his Instagram account:

http://i.imgur.com/rpNBhyY.jpg

I really don't like a lot of the media coverage here by the way. Seems like they want to drum up scandals and find disagreements between players more than discuss the tactics or plays on the field. There are big exceptions of course and I've read some good analysis too. Anyway, I just watched Bradley's post game interview. He is smart and knows how to dodge any questions when the media tries to bait him into addressing crap like that and steers the conversation back to the game.

portu
09-20-2015, 11:27 AM
You just said my point. The Rapids aren't as shit as made out. They managed 34 points against tough western opponents and had enough points to be one game back of us if they were in the east before the matches yesterday. And they didn't get to play Orlando, NYCFC, Chicago, and Philly numerous times.

Not saying beating then is some kind of great feat but it's not like we beat Chivas from last year or anything.
I get what you mean, certainly not a Chivas style team but my point is we beat a team we're expected to beat

dupont
09-20-2015, 11:30 AM
Colorado is in interesting team. They don't look too disorganized considering their record. They just don't see to have that offensive spark that you need to win games.

DinamoTFC
09-20-2015, 01:05 PM

exactly. if he was consistent then he could walk the talk. but the fact is he's costed us numerous stupid goals and 1 good game and a goal doesnt suddenly change that. i hope he continues to perform for the sake of the team but he gets on my nerves. i wonder if he would act like that walking down the street.

Cashcleaner
09-20-2015, 03:48 PM
^ Don't get me wrong, he played well against Colorado and is probably one of the better defenders we've had on the squad over the years. But he has made some pretty bad mistakes over the last few games as well.

Yohan
09-20-2015, 04:36 PM
^ Don't get me wrong, he played well against Colorado and is probably one of the better defenders we've had on the squad over the years. But he has made some pretty bad mistakes over the last few games as well.

Amazing how perquis looked good when you have DM tactically shielding the back 4

TFC07
09-20-2015, 05:02 PM
Nothing to complain about here. Got necessary 3 points while played much better defensively this game compare to last few games.

Bez needs to find better defenders (CB and RB) and more importantly goalkeeper to strengthen this club.

Stress
09-20-2015, 05:14 PM
Pretty sure Seba and Perquis are buds. They posted some pics where Perquis family had him over for dinner. i wouldn't read too much into the celebration.

burlington Red
09-20-2015, 07:40 PM

Judging it based on south end.

hulkrogan
09-20-2015, 08:41 PM
Perquis had his best game ever yesterday , and after the goal he was pointing out the PERFECT kick from Gio ??

He also looked to angrily brush him away mid celebration. I dunno, the guy just looks unstable out there so many times. Either super happy, or super pissed. I really liked that about Caldwell. He was a steadying force, and only lost his shit on the opposition and refs when defending his teammates.

Fort York Redcoat
09-21-2015, 08:56 AM

Sorry, it was not remotely an even contest. We could easily have been 5-0 up before they had a sniff. And we even had the edge in the torrential rain. Your view is not reasonable or rational. Did we let up a bit after 3-0? Sure. But it was 3-0. Three. That's a big lead in soccer.

Consistent analysis, Mighty. What made us look any good v NE after they took the foot off the gas last time made us look worse this game. Samesies.

Well noted.

Fort York Redcoat
09-21-2015, 09:05 AM

That would be the highest traffic we've ever had and would be welcome. Also glad you were a part of those historic numbers if that's the case.

the rpb section was half empty as it was cold and the jays were on also lol......

I guess it was at some point...it was full when the rain came down. It was magic. I guess you weren't there for that. Maybe next match, though?

ChrisFizik
09-21-2015, 09:58 AM

(sorry to bump this in the thread again)

the initial motive was mostly just to help some supporters out having a tough time up in 111 there in the rain, avoid another security snafu, etc. Fully aware of the website connection but with Phil's clearance, impromptu decision to make the invite to those guys, momentarily a safe bet and like you said, the message is the message. Not pushing it any further (it was 5 minutes of wonky wet hoisting to be honest) and wouldn't do anything with deeper ramifications without discussion ever in future of course.

andyboy
09-21-2015, 07:54 PM
That would be the highest traffic we've ever had and would be welcome. Also glad you were a part of those historic numbers if that's the case.

I guess it was at some point...it was full when the rain came down. It was magic. I guess you weren't there for that. Maybe next match, though?

Fort York, you're a good man !!!

jazzy
09-21-2015, 09:52 PM

I think Bradley isn't really a people person as hard as he tries . He's quite awkward . Wonder how the players really feel about him .

boozilla
09-22-2015, 12:55 AM
I think Bradley isn't really a people person as hard as he tries . He's quite awkward . Wonder how the players really feel about him .
His emotional range is from stoic to robotic. Capable of a single deke or dribble, but more often than not he'll give up the ball right afterwards. His motivation seems arbitrary.

OgtheDim
09-22-2015, 06:28 AM
His emotional range is from stoic to robotic. Capable of a single deke or dribble, but more often than not he'll give up the ball right afterwards. His motivation seems arbitrary.

:icon_bs:

How many long runs from deep (something unique in MLS) do you want to see?

As for his emotions, lets just point out:

His reaction after his goal last season against Portland.

His rant on refs last season. (see the Chicago game)

His "FUCKING HELL" at himself after his brain fart against NER.

Red4ever
09-22-2015, 08:38 AM
(sorry to bump this in the thread again)

the initial motive was mostly just to help some supporters out having a tough time up in 111 there in the rain, avoid another security snafu, etc. Fully aware of the website connection but with Phil's clearance, impromptu decision to make the invite to those guys, momentarily a safe bet and like you said, the message is the message. Not pushing it any further (it was 5 minutes of wonky wet hoisting to be honest) and wouldn't do anything with deeper ramifications without discussion ever in future of course.

Good enough, thanks Chris.

Fort York Redcoat
09-22-2015, 08:55 AM
:icon_bs:

I will simply second this.

There's an avatar around here that has the general eternally screaming...

burlington Red
09-25-2015, 04:30 PM

I was and it wasnt

Fort York Redcoat
09-26-2015, 09:02 AM
I was and it wasnt

Sorry, what? What are you trying to doubt?

The higher numbers online or 112 being full? Wow. Have fun at the game today.

portu
09-26-2015, 11:56 AM
Amazing how perquis looked good when you have DM tactically shielding the back 4
One of those players that needs everything in front of him

Richard
09-26-2015, 12:39 PM
One of those players that needs everything in front of him

I don't think that's fair, a lot of the best centre backs in the world would look dumb if they were not protected by good a DM, not even the best CB's can withstand non stop pressure.

portu
09-26-2015, 12:45 PM
I don't think that's fair, a lot of the best centre backs in the world would look dumb if they were not protected by good a DM, not even the best CB's can withstand non stop pressure.
Very true, but Damien looks particularly exposed when runners get in behind intelligently