PDA

View Full Version : Security at BMO Field order fans to take down ‘refugees welcome’ banner at Toronto FC

flamehawk
09-14-2015, 11:21 AM
http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/security-at-bmo-field-order-fans-to-take-down-refugees-welcome-banner-at-toronto-fc-game

Interesting that MLSE is claiming now that it was taken down because the banner was "political". Security said no such thing, only claiming that banners were not allowed outside of the supporters section when 111 is clearly a supporters section.

Did folks at the Canada game run into the same issues?

Oldtimer
09-14-2015, 11:34 AM
http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/security-at-bmo-field-order-fans-to-take-down-refugees-welcome-banner-at-toronto-fc-game

Interesting that MLSE is claiming now that it was taken down because the banner was "political". Security said no such thing, only claiming that banners were not allowed outside of the supporters section when 111 is clearly a supporters section.

Good quote from the article:

Webfooter17 wrote, “It’s fun to make a banner and all, but until you actually welcome refugees into your home and feed/clothe/shelter them, don’t pat yourself on the back.”

Good point.
I have a friend who is working with an NGO to fund and bring in a refugee family. That actually will cost him time and money.

OgtheDim
09-14-2015, 11:35 AM
Its as much a political issue as how we treat troops and veterans. (see next home game)

Or the rainbow flag.

i.e. Human decency is not a political issue.

Pint
09-14-2015, 11:37 AM
Canada game, the refugees welcome banner only came out in the 85th min.

Areathrasher
09-14-2015, 11:37 AM
There was zero reason to take the banner down.

Just another example of security/Stadium Ops at BMO not having a clue.

Oldtimer
09-14-2015, 11:41 AM
Its as much a political issue as how we treat troops and veterans. (see next home game)

Or the rainbow flag.

LGBTQ rights is quite directly related to football, because there are gay people in the closet in most sports' locker rooms.
Refugees don't for the most part end up playing for our club.

It's different.

ryan
09-14-2015, 11:55 AM

Well since MLSE backed it up, they do have a clue, just doing what they are told.

Wagner
09-14-2015, 11:57 AM

Or the rainbow flag.

this!
100%

Pacifists might find the Troops stuff political.
It also isn't cool how they sell Camo gear with "a portion" or proceeds going to causes.

The refugee banner is simply saying "I see other humans in a terrible spot, in my opinion, they could join me in my country"

Richard
09-14-2015, 11:57 AM

Or the rainbow flag.

Your right that human decency isnt a political issue except that this situation isnt black and white, to one person their refugees, to another their terrorists or opportunistic free loaders, this situation is way to political and has no place at a football match.

Keep football separated from everything thats remotly political is my opinion.

Areathrasher
09-14-2015, 12:01 PM
Well since MLSE backed it up, they do have a clue, just doing what they are told.

Then why was there a similar banner at the Canada game?

RealG-TFC
09-14-2015, 12:02 PM
LGBTQ rights is quite directly related to football, because there are gay people in the closet in most sports' locker rooms.

It's different.

What? I would agree in saying that these sorts of social issues aren't all the same and they should be treated differently but they are inherently political. I don't think it matters whether the problem is related to the sport or not, I think it matters on whether it is pressing social issue that inevitably affects the sport (i.e. Racism).

flamehawk
09-14-2015, 12:10 PM

Good point.
I have a friend who is working with an NGO to fund and bring in a refugee family. That actually will cost him time and money.

Some of us that were there do this too. It's not one or the other.

flamehawk
09-14-2015, 12:11 PM

It's different.

Current mls top scorer kamara was a refugee....

Wagner
09-14-2015, 12:15 PM
Your right that human decency isnt a political issue except that this situation isnt black and white, to one person their refugees, to another their terrorists or opportunistic free loaders, this situation is way to political and has no place at a football match.

if they were predominantly christian, would you still use the T-word?

also, it is "they are" not "their"

Refugee by definition is anyone seeking refuge.
Seeking Safety and Peace.
it is a human issue first and foremost.
google some pics of the camps.

TFC/Everton
09-14-2015, 12:29 PM
I post this without any sort of endorsement, but it is funny how most Canadians disagree: http://ipolitics.ca/2015/09/11/only-36-per-cent-of-canadians-want-to-accept-more-refugees/

OgtheDim
09-14-2015, 12:51 PM
Human rights should not be subject to polls and referendums.

TFC Tifoso
09-14-2015, 01:07 PM

agreed.....and for the record, I remember a few years back there was a banner before the CCL match v. Santos speaking out to the drug wars south of the border at its peak, and the banner was up for all of about a minute or two before security asked them to take it down....precidence regarding this issue has been set at BMO before....

I say keep the politics out of football unless it relates directly to the sport (ie. racial abuse to a player, heavy handed antics to an SG, etc.)

C.Ronaldo
09-14-2015, 01:11 PM

Good point.

how is that much different than me donating $500 to a team/family that is bringing in that family. ( i realise your friend is investing much more effort, but we all do what we can. If i influence 1000 people to donate $500, thats alot of much needed money)
you chip in where you can, and raising awareness is a huge part of that.

Im not disagreeing with MLSE's decision though, but i like that those guys at least tried. And got some exposure out of it.

David_Oliveira
09-14-2015, 01:18 PM
OFFTOPIC (wee sort of)...
I really don't mean to be insensitive but we have our own issues with homelessness and the inhumane way the Native tribes are treated. How about we settle those first before tackling another issue? Or how about we put more money into the pension of those that fought in wars to keep our country safe (afterall, if it wasn't for them fighting to keep us free, these refugees wouldn't have a place to go). I don't mean to come across as an arsehole but Canada has it's own issues to deal with.

ON TOPIC...
I'm glad political stuff gets taken down. Footy should be a quasi escape from the outside world. In regards to the LGBTQ stuff at games I think it's different. Throwing up a rainbow flag helps that closet LGBTQ player show that even though he feels so alone, we are with them. I wouldn't be surprised if someone within or organization was LGBTQ and has been hiding it for fear they'd get shunned by the team or fans.

molenshtain
09-14-2015, 01:29 PM
agreed.....and for the record, I remember a few years back there was a banner before the CCL match v. Santos speaking out to the drug wars south of the border at its peak, and the banner was up for all of about a minute or two before security asked them to take it down....precidence regarding this issue has been set at BMO before....

I say keep the politics out of football unless it relates directly to the sport (ie. racial abuse to a player, heavy handed antics to an SG, etc.)

Since a team in our league (and the league as a whole by extension for allowing them in) endorses state sponsored terrorism and mass human rights violations, does this now mean it's an issue relevant to us as a club? I would hope so.

dupont
09-14-2015, 01:30 PM
Pacifists might find the Troops stuff political.

I've always felt uncomfortable with troops stuff at sporting events. It doesn't ruin my experience or anything but I would be lying to say that it doesn't bother me. I just figured I'm the only person like that though so I just try to ignore it and move on.

TFC Tifoso
09-14-2015, 01:33 PM
Since there's now a team in our league (and the league as a whole for allowing them in) that endorses state sponsored terrorism and mass human right violations, does this now mean it's an issue relevant to us as a club? I would hope so.

hasn't really been an issue up to now, nor is it an issue in the PL where their "other" (lol) team is......personally I go to the games (and watch sports in general) as a way to break from this stuff.....but I guess people will find politics in anything......just make sure no banner is blocking my view.....

molenshtain
09-14-2015, 01:37 PM
hasn't really been an issue up to now, nor is it an issue in the PL where their "other" (lol) team is......personally I go to the games (and watch sports in general) as a way to break from this stuff.....but I guess people will find politics in anything......just make sure no banner is blocking my view.....

I'd love for it to be an escape, and until this season MLS was exactly that for me. Much more so than European football specifically because the clubs and the institution of the league as a whole had a certain moral standing I could get behind. But Now to be a season ticket holder and consumer of this league, I'm forced to give money to those people. That doesn't do something to your conscience?

Fort York Redcoat
09-14-2015, 01:43 PM

Then why was there a similar banner at the Canada game?

The same reason capo stands were back yesterday. MLSE is not as accountable for Canada games and the security is entirely different. Different training and for the most part different personnel.

C.Ronaldo
09-14-2015, 01:49 PM
I've always felt uncomfortable with troops stuff at sporting events. It doesn't ruin my experience or anything but I would be lying to say that it doesn't bother me. I just figured I'm the only person like that though so I just try to ignore it and move on.

nope im the same, were not the US.

Red4ever
09-14-2015, 01:49 PM
I think it's worth mentioning that the first sign at the Canada game read: Refugees Welcome

THe sign yesterday read: Refugees Welcome.ca

There is a massive difference in messaging when linking to a website that has an agenda and calls out political parties by name.

OgtheDim
09-14-2015, 01:53 PM
I think it's worth mentioning that the first sign at the Canada game read: Refugees Welcome

There is a massive difference in messaging when linking to a website that has an agenda and calls out political parties by name.

Good point. Missed that.

Red4ever
09-14-2015, 01:55 PM
OFFTOPIC (wee sort of)...
I really don't mean to be insensitive but we have our own issues with homelessness and the inhumane way the Native tribes are treated. How about we settle those first before tackling another issue? Or how about we put more money into the pension of those that fought in wars to keep our country safe (afterall, if it wasn't for them fighting to keep us free, these refugees wouldn't have a place to go). I don't mean to come across as an arsehole but Canada has it's own issues to deal with.

ON TOPIC...
I'm glad political stuff gets taken down. Footy should be a quasi escape from the outside world. In regards to the LGBTQ stuff at games I think it's different. Throwing up a rainbow flag helps that closet LGBTQ player show that even though he feels so alone, we are with them. I wouldn't be surprised if someone within or organization was LGBTQ and has been hiding it for fear they'd get shunned by the team or fans.

This is spot on. Best post yet. All of it. Not to mention, if we do go outside our borders, there are a shit ton of people suffering in many other parts of the world. Read: Africa. Forever.

We have a responsibility to do everything we possibly can as global citizens but these aren't issues that can be boiled down to talking points that can't possibly be realized.

Oldtimer
09-14-2015, 01:58 PM

That's how I feel.

That is a huge difference IMO.

There is a time and a place for politics. Football is inclusive, that means people of differing political stripes should feel welcome.

Fort York Redcoat
09-14-2015, 02:10 PM

The security was not briefed properly. That we can say for sure.

It seems your sign got more attention for it, though.

TFC/Everton
09-14-2015, 02:17 PM

Perhaps it would be foolish to remind you that this organization is called the Red Patch Boys, a nickname for the 1st Canadian Infantry Division. Do you take issue with the name of our organization? And if you have such a problem with it, why are you on this forum?

And I don't often call people out on the forum because... well, I just don't. But those proud women and men who wear our countries uniform and defend freedom across the world deserve to be respected at every opportunity.

Perhaps coming from a military family, I get a little sensitive about this issue, but today I felt like defending something I believe in.

Red4ever
09-14-2015, 02:22 PM
Perhaps it would be foolish to remind you that this organization is called the Red Patch Boys, a nickname for the 1st Canadian Infantry Division. Do you take issue with the name of our organization? And if you have such a problem with it, why are you on this forum?

And I don't often call people out on the forum because... well, I just don't. But those proud women and men who wear our countries uniform and defend freedom across the world deserve to be respected at every opportunity.

Perhaps coming from a military family, I get a little sensitive about this issue, but today I felt like defending something I believe in.

+1

also, there was a back and forth last year so let's not have another 6 pages of Troop bashing.

TFC Tifoso
09-14-2015, 02:56 PM
I'd love for it to be an escape, and until this season MLS was exactly that for me. Much more so than European football specifically because the clubs and the institution of the league as a whole had a certain moral standing I could get behind. But Now to be a season ticket holder and consumer of this league, I'm forced to give money to those people. That doesn't do something to your conscience?

Honestly, no it doesn't......I buy my tickets in support of TFC. And that's about all I can control....

Let me ask you then.....since that group is now part of MLS, are you hoping to see MLS or TFC fold because of their involvement? Are you considering giving up your season seats now? Also, do you own Nike products?.....Apple products?......its all under the same concept imo.....

zeelaw
09-14-2015, 03:04 PM
+1

also, there was a back and forth last year so let's not have another 6 pages of Troop bashing.
It's not troop bashing, that's the type of response that makes people be scared to be even remotely critical of the Support the Troops nights.

I don't enjoy those days, they make me uncomfortable and I think most people can see right through them.

zeelaw
09-14-2015, 03:05 PM

What is this absolutes mentality? Lots of military people are critical of these nights as well.

Oldtimer
09-14-2015, 03:32 PM
Closing this thread because it's veering off topic. flamehawk, you drew attention to your issue, this thread's purpose is done.

Fort York Redcoat
09-14-2015, 03:34 PM

Or the rainbow flag.

This is the derail, folks.

This thread is not about troops or rainbows.

:topic: