PDA

View Full Version : MLS keeps youth development fees

jloome
09-08-2015, 11:55 AM
http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2015/09/03/solidarity-compensation-us-soccer-dempsey-bradley-yedlin-fifa-drc

TL:DR -- the clubs that developed Dempsey, Bradley and Yedlin are suing MLS, which breaks the FIFA regulation citing American legal precedent, and keeps the portion of international transfer fees that under FIFA rulees should go to the development clubs. In these three cases alone, that's more than $400,000, they claim.

Areathrasher
09-08-2015, 12:01 PM
And yet Doneil Henrys old club in Mississauga got a cut of the transfer fee to West Ham...

jloome
09-08-2015, 12:09 PM
And yet Doneil Henrys old club in Mississauga got a cut of the transfer fee to West Ham...

The League can't claim judicial precedent as the order it claims exists -- which apparently is completely fictitious -- was from a U.S. judge. So a Canadian dev club would probably get the money directly from the British club. Tottentham tried to do that in the Yedlin case and MLS intervened and said (allegedly) "don't worry, we'll make sure everyone's compensated fairly". Then it kept the money.

Areathrasher
09-08-2015, 12:35 PM
The League can't claim judicial precedent as the order it claims exists -- which apparently is completely fictitious -- was from a U.S. judge. So a Canadian dev club would probably get the money directly from the British club. Tottentham tried to do that in the Yedlin case and MLS intervened and said (allegedly) "don't worry, we'll make sure everyone's compensated fairly". Then it kept the money.

Yea, I know.

Apparently the judicial claim is from the Fraser v MLS case and can't be revealed...eyeroll

Between this and the NASL case, I hope USSF and MLS have their cage rattled and make some changes.

Blizzard
09-08-2015, 12:48 PM
Yea, I know.

Apparently the judicial claim is from the Fraser v MLS case and can't be revealed...eyeroll

Between this and the NASL case, I hope USSF and MLS have their cage rattled and make some changes.

.... and that would be former Canadian international Iain Fraser (30 caps).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iain_Fraser_(soccer)

Richard
09-08-2015, 01:02 PM
If I'm remembering correctly MLS stated something about child labour laws(I think was an article about Jamaican's in the MLS draft) as the reason they don't pay clubs when players get selected in the draft or get transferred.

What a load of bullshit, I hope MLS gets hosed on this one.