PDA

View Full Version : Game 27: Reds go for the Nguyen - TFC host NER Sunday 13 Sept 5pm Sportsnet

Pages : [1] 2

OgtheDim
09-06-2015, 10:14 PM
5th hosts 4th - big implications for the playoffs. A win for either team puts them on the heels of DCU and Columbus for second or third. A loss and 4th or 5th become increasingly likely.

NER are on a roll. 6 unbeaten including 5 wins. Getting Jones more healthy will help them. They LOVE to throw the ball around the edge of the area. It is imperative that we give their mids no time on the ball. They will press us relentlessly and try to take the crowd out of the game, just like SKC.

Time for TFC to step up and prove they can handle a press.

We will miss Warner for this match with his suspension.

Right now it sounds like Giovinco will be back. Questions remain for Cheyrou, Perquis, Lovitz & Kantari. IF Cheyrou does not play, we are going to have to find somebody to sit in front of the back 4.

We have the firepower to win this game but will that firepower get the ball?

This game is going to have playoff intensity. Should be a hell of a lot of fun. :scarf:

ronzilla
09-06-2015, 10:49 PM
Need the 3 points, if Seba comes back im confident for the win.

Ivy
09-07-2015, 01:33 AM
I didn't mind the Simonin Williams combo. Thought they did very well, is give them another go.
I don't think Giovinco will play, and Jozy will come on as a sub again.

portu
09-07-2015, 01:34 AM
Potential one-off playoff matchup

ensco
09-07-2015, 08:08 AM
This game is a huge game, it will tell us whether we have any kind of shot this year or not.

I hope Vanney doesn't rush Gio back btw. Temptation to do that is massive.

Ivy
09-07-2015, 03:11 PM
Somebody explain to me why does MLS pronounce "Nguyen" as "Win"? Every Nguyen I know pronounce it as "noo-yen"

bigredone
09-07-2015, 04:03 PM
If no Seba than both Gomez and Altidore should start. The loss of Bradley to defensive duties would make the fire power count. The back line is pretty thin with those question marks, but hopefully the stars align.

TFC go into high gear this game and make a statement. 4-2 TFC. I agree, the game will have playoff intensity which the goalies can't handle.

hulkrogan
09-07-2015, 04:58 PM
Somebody explain to me why does MLS pronounce "Nguyen" as "Win"? Every Nguyen I know pronounce it as "noo-yen"

Because they say it mostly right ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXaZ6Q5JFxI

OgtheDim
09-07-2015, 06:56 PM

Well just to add to the cultural learning going on:

https://vimeo.com/17003538

:pbjtime:

It was Vanney who indicated that Seba might start, btw.

mowe
09-07-2015, 07:47 PM
Should be a good test to see where we stand in the East. Looking forward to it.

portu
09-07-2015, 09:55 PM
If no Seba than both Gomez and Altidore should start. The loss of Bradley to defensive duties would make the fire power count. The back line is pretty thin with those question marks, but hopefully the stars align.

TFC go into high gear this game and make a statement. 4-2 TFC. I agree, the game will have playoff intensity which the goalies can't handle.
After watching Herc v Seattle he is not 100% match fit, Moore is far and away the best option off the bench

Joe Kool
09-07-2015, 10:14 PM
This game is a huge game, it will tell us whether we have any kind of shot this year or not.

I hope Vanney doesn't rush Gio back btw. Temptation to do that is massive.

If we have about the same amount of missing players this weekend I don't think it will tell us anything in terms of if we have a shot at all. It will only tell us how our bench players are when thrown into these crazy situations like last weekend in Seattle. Give me a full lineup or even a near-full lineup and it could tell us something about our destiny....but we won't so it won't.

Richard
09-07-2015, 10:25 PM
How long has Perquis been out for? What's his status?

kwhisperer
09-08-2015, 07:01 AM
After watching Herc v Seattle he is not 100% match fit, Moore is far and away the best option off the bench

This is why Herc should have had more time on the field by now. He looks to have more upside but Vanney sat him a few times when he could have used the minutes.

notthesun
09-08-2015, 09:48 AM
http://www.proreferees.com/2015-mls-regular-season-assignments---week-28.php

Warning - Baldomero Toledo alert.

C.Ronaldo
09-08-2015, 10:10 AM
How long has Perquis been out for? What's his status?

hes gone code caldwell

Areathrasher
09-08-2015, 10:32 AM

warning - baldomero toledo alert.

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fort York Redcoat
09-08-2015, 10:51 AM
Ugh. Sunday game.

Carts
09-08-2015, 10:53 AM
Ugh. Sunday game.

My thoughts EXACTLY!

C.Ronaldo
09-08-2015, 11:24 AM
YAY sunday game!

Sat is for doing house work, Sunday is God's game day

Fort York Redcoat
09-08-2015, 11:26 AM
YAY sunday game!

Sat is for doing house work, Sunday is God's game day

Whats that first thing you said?;)

C.Ronaldo
09-08-2015, 11:37 AM
Whats that first thing you said?;)

dont mind me, im bitter by too many engagments during summer weekends

barticusz
09-08-2015, 12:25 PM
Really need a win from this game. We're at home and we need to come away with a solid performance. Sadly we always seem to lose to NER when it matters.

Jozy is in good form and Bradley has been fantastic as of late. If Seba is back we're good. Our problem, once again is on the defensive side. Who's injured and who can play?

Oldtimer
09-08-2015, 12:51 PM

Warning - Baldomero Toledo alert.

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:red: Toledo's action :mad: players' reaction :facepalm: our reaction

Richard
09-08-2015, 01:05 PM
hes gone code caldwell

Seriously though this is concerning, next thing you know both Perquis and Cheyrou are going to be anchor contracts next year if the pace of injuries they get keeps up.

Auzzy
09-08-2015, 06:55 PM
I didn't mind the Simonin Williams combo. Thought they did very well, is give them another go.
I don't think Giovinco will play, and Jozy will come on as a sub again.

Problem is, Simonin is slow as molasses. Probably still needs to re-build his speed (whatever he had) after his injury & surgery. Williams isn't too fast either.

pawlukj
09-08-2015, 06:58 PM
we desperately need Giovinco, altidore, perquis, etc. full roster would make me go OHH ahhh

pawlukj
09-08-2015, 07:27 PM
I feel like this is such a big game given the fact that NE is above us in the playoff race and that we are at home and that this is a home game . this is one of those games where you would say about a month or two ago that you have to win these sort of games going to the wire, and i would say that the marshall has blew his horn for the race to commence. I want to see Toronto FC play like they are going into the playoffs strong, not to hold on by holding onto that last spot after slipping spots, no, we need to win this and close out our games strong. thats what TFC is about, thats what we fans want and have been waiting for

the biggest problem Toronto FC has had over the years are the end of year break downs sliding out of playoff spots or not being able to win the games that would solidify a playoff spot. We cant keep saying that, next game, next game, no, it starts with NE at home, this is a team above us we need to slay period. work our way into the spot going forward with momentum, the opposite is to crash and burn.

tonight, redpatch boys, WE DINE IN HELL!!

:/morpheus voice:

greatwhitenorf
09-08-2015, 11:55 PM
I have an 11:07 tee off time at Blairhampton Golf Club on Sunday. I plan to be there.

I haven't broken 90 there in years, and occasionally satisfy myself with breaking 100, but none of the frustration of grappling with this glorious course will remotely compare with dealing with the feelings of serial stupidity I suffer with buying tickets for TFCMLSE.

My future is clear and it includes the phrases 'divot', 'deep rough', and 'chip-and-a-putt'. Ciao tuttiquanti.

Ivy
09-09-2015, 01:22 AM
I have an 11:07 tee off time at Blairhampton Golf Club on Sunday. I plan to be there.

I haven't broken 90 there in years, and occasionally satisfy myself with breaking 100, but none of the frustration of grappling with this glorious course will remotely compare with dealing with the feelings of serial stupidity I suffer with buying tickets for TFCMLSE.

My future is clear and it includes the phrases 'divot', 'deep rough', and 'chip-and-a-putt'. Ciao tuttiquanti.

*leaves thread*

OgtheDim
09-09-2015, 05:49 AM

Meh...

I am going to this game with my wife. We will toddle off to the new craft beer place, grab some food somewhere, probably walk around the rose garden area, enjoy the lack of heat, and end up in 110 for our annual game together where she will scream and shout more then me and generally have a good time.

You may feel stupid buying tickets.

I feel alive.

To each their own.

Areathrasher
09-09-2015, 08:04 AM
The game is on Sunday because it's nationally televised in the States.

Fort York Redcoat
09-09-2015, 08:16 AM

Maybe you should update us in here:

http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?1946-Anyone-Golf&highlight=golf

Feel free to come on back with TFC talk...

Fort York Redcoat
09-09-2015, 08:18 AM
The game is on Sunday because it's nationally televised in the States.

I assume then that Sunday is the only day of the week the 'Muricans nationally televised the beautiful game?

Pint
09-09-2015, 08:20 AM
I assume then that Sunday is the only day of the week the 'Muricans nationally televised the beautiful game?

The sunday at 5pm eastern game is always a national broadcast in 'Merica. Sometimes we are lucky enough to have TSN pick up multiple games sometimes we get nothing, I would assume we get more nothing moving forward as NFL is starting.

Areathrasher
09-09-2015, 08:30 AM

Friday and Sundays.

C.Ronaldo
09-09-2015, 10:10 AM
Huh, why the hatred for Sunday games

Pint
09-09-2015, 10:32 AM
Perquis and Hagglund in trainning

Cheyrou, Gio and Kantari not in trainning today

all per Molinaro

notthesun
09-09-2015, 01:09 PM
Giovinco didn't train but Vanney said he thinks he'll play Sunday. Staff might just be letting him rest rather than keeping him out because he can't go. That's my hope anyway.

ManUtd4ever
09-09-2015, 01:33 PM
Vanney could always bring Giovinco on as a 60th minute sub if he's not 100%. He can still make an impact.

pawlukj
09-09-2015, 03:38 PM
was his injury significant? when i saw it happen i thought he just got bumped and then subbed off more because of the game was late ... i hope he can play the entire game we really need him back

Richard
09-09-2015, 04:32 PM
I wouldn't play Giovinco at all to be honest.

We're at home with an in form Altidore and Bradley, its time for our team to suck it up and get a result when it matters without Giovinco in the lineup.

stegosaurus
09-09-2015, 04:34 PM
was his injury significant? when i saw it happen i thought he just got bumped and then subbed off more because of the game was late ... i hope he can play the entire game we really need him back

Bumped into him this morning across from the Four Seasons. I think he'd just finished going for a run.

pawlukj
09-09-2015, 05:05 PM
lol, well thats a good sign, were you still wearing a robe and drinking your orange juice ? :D lol

OgtheDim
09-09-2015, 06:45 PM
Talk of light rain on Sunday. We'll have a better idea by tomorrow evening once we get within 72 hours of game time.

ronzilla
09-09-2015, 08:10 PM
"He did some physical work before (practice). He's sprinting, he's doing the things he needs," Toronto coach Greg Vanney said. "I hope and suspect that he should be ready by the weekend but we'll see how these days progress."

Fort York Redcoat
09-10-2015, 08:07 AM
Bumped into him this morning across from the Four Seasons. I think he'd just finished going for a run.

lol, well thats a good sign, were you still wearing a robe and drinking your orange juice ? :D lol

I love this place. Thanks for the player update Stego!

http://c8.alamy.com/comp/BFK134/couple-in-bathrobes-drinking-orange-juice-and-looking-out-window-BFK134.jpg

Why, yes dear, I do believe that IS Seba...

C.Ronaldo
09-10-2015, 08:36 AM
I love this place. Thanks for the player update Stego!

Why, yes dear, I do believe that IS Seba...

Four season, eeyuk...'yorkville is going to outhouse darling. Soon we'll see Trump tower residents'

Im not sure how I feel about seba running through the city, too many shitty drivers.

Graeme
09-10-2015, 09:09 AM
So...lots of players back! What do people see as our line-up? Still playing the diamond?

------------------Konopka------------------
--Williams---Perquis--Kantari---Morrow--
-----------------Cheyrou-------------------
--Delgado-----------------------Osorio----
----------------Bradley--------------------
------Altidore--------------Giovinco------

or do we get:

------------------Konopka---------------------
-------Williams---Kantari--Simonin-----------
--Jackson---------------------------Morgan--
-----------------Cheyrou-------------------
--Bradley-----------------------Osorio----
------Altidore/Giovinco(sub)----------------

I wouldn't mind seeing Simonin out there--looked great back in March(?)

C.Ronaldo
09-10-2015, 10:21 AM
Zavelta is a scoring machine, your taking him off?

Graeme
09-10-2015, 10:37 AM
Zavelta is a scoring machine, your taking him off? Scoring Machine = same number of goals as Creaville (although 1 more goal than Perquis this year)!

Zavaleta is fine, but doesn't seem like much of an upgrade over 2014 Hagglund to me.

C.Ronaldo
09-10-2015, 10:40 AM
Scoring Machine = same number of goals as Creaville (although 1 more goal than Perquis this year)!

Zavaleta is fine, but doesn't seem like much of an upgrade over 2014 Hagglund to me.

he's worse than 2014 Hag. How someone who has played that much soccer pass the ball so poorly is beyond me.

Graeme
09-10-2015, 10:47 AM
he's worse than 2014 Hag. How someone who has played that much soccer pass the ball so poorly is beyond me.

Ah...I get you! I thought you were suggesting he should be in the line-up. My apologies for missing the sarcasm! Not enough coffee/beer yet today...

There is definitely a whiff of nepotism around his playing time this season, though we have been down defensive bodies quite a bit.

ronzilla
09-10-2015, 10:54 AM
Kantari, Williams, Perquis > Zava

Stress
09-10-2015, 12:18 PM
Is Morrow back? I'd expect Morrow and Williams would be defensive locks. Depending on the formation the rest are a toss up. I imagine Perquis is still higher up the CB depth chart than Zava and Simonen.

C.Ronaldo
09-10-2015, 01:00 PM
Four season, eeyuk...'yorkville is going to outhouse darling. Soon we'll see Trump tower residents'

Im not sure how I feel about seba running through the city, too many shitty drivers.

Holy shit, GLASS fell at four seasons.....SEBAAAAA!!!!!!! are you OKAY!
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/09/10/window-shatters-at-four-seasons-hotel.html

Auzzy
09-10-2015, 02:02 PM
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/09/10/window-shatters-at-four-seasons-hotel.html

I was about to post that. I guess the glass didn't hold up when Seba was kicking the ball around the condo with his son... :D

stegosaurus
09-10-2015, 03:56 PM

Yeah, I was wearing my vintage Alexander McQueen bath robe, sipping a mimosa from a Baccarat flute and picking up coffee at Pusateri's. I've seen him before at Zaza's (the espresso bar) too. I wonder if he and David Rocco (who lives somewhere around here too) hang out?

Cashcleaner
09-10-2015, 05:45 PM
Weather report says it's gonna be around 18 degrees and partly cloudy at kick-off on Sunday. We're going to see some rain Saturday afternoon, but that should be well dried-up prior to the match. Og is dead-on about the importance of this game, New England is 4th in the East with 40 points after 27 games. TFC is 5th with 37 points after 26 games. Not only that, I think many would argue that we are fairly comparable to each other, though I'd give TFC's offence the edge on Sunday if Gio takes to the pitch (which is very likely, I think). Anyway, despite having a good cushion of points at the moment, the three points would could pick up on the weekend will do a lot for us. It's time to concentrate on grabbing the best playoff seed we can get.

OgtheDim
09-10-2015, 06:48 PM
FWIW

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/COkZTZaW8AA-haB.png

I think that midfield would get killed.

barticusz
09-11-2015, 10:00 AM
FWIW

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/COkZTZaW8AA-haB.png

I think that midfield would get killed.

Midfield would get mauled. I just dont' see us having the necessary pieces to play a 4-3-3.

bigredone
09-11-2015, 10:31 AM
barticusz, you should coach the Dutch.

Is Jackson good to go?

ManUtd4ever
09-11-2015, 10:45 AM
That's a good lookin' lineup.

ronzilla
09-11-2015, 10:46 AM
If Cheyrou is available, I think this would be the best formation.

4-1-3-2

http://www.footballuser.com/formations/2015/09/1333326_Toronto_FC.jpg

C.Ronaldo
09-11-2015, 10:52 AM
IF bradley stays put back there, giovinco and gomez can do enough to cover the mid out wide.

but bradley will not stay back, so much energy it can become a flaw

Auzzy
09-11-2015, 11:48 AM
John Molinaro mentioned on Twitter that Seba is in training today...

barticusz
09-11-2015, 12:11 PM
And Cheyrou is not there.. :( If we want to continue using the diamond, maybe we put a Perquis/Simonin in a DM role? Both can pass the ball decently and would primarily play defensively.

Oldtimer
09-11-2015, 12:25 PM
John Molinaro mentioned on Twitter that Seba is in training today...

:party:That's really good news!

OgtheDim
09-11-2015, 12:29 PM
I think we play a 4-4-2 with a Bradley Osorio double pivot - and get killed on the counter at least once.

That having been said, I don't think NER can handle our attack IF we can beat their press.

Kamp Berg
09-11-2015, 12:52 PM
I think the dm idea with Perquis is a great idea. I wonder if Vanney has considered it?

OgtheDim
09-11-2015, 01:10 PM
https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/642397479523233792

Richard
09-11-2015, 02:33 PM
I think the dm idea with Perquis is a great idea. I wonder if Vanney has considered it?

Rafa Marquez came into this league as a CB then turned into a DM, I agree that Perquis could do the same and play as a DM, although really slow he physically is still able to play the role and has good passing range.

ronzilla
09-11-2015, 02:42 PM
Perquis can't pass.

molenshtain
09-11-2015, 02:43 PM
Perquis can't pass.

lol.

Richard
09-11-2015, 02:50 PM
Perquis can't pass.

You want to back that up?

http://www.whoscored.com/Players/19898

Tournament
Apps
Mins
Assists
KeyP
AvgP
PS%
Crosses
LongB
ThrB
Rating

Major League Soccer (http://www.whoscored.com/Regions/233/Tournaments/85)
-
-

Total / Average

Avereges about 30 passes per game at 80%. I would say that's excellent, of course there're simpler passes by nature of his role but he isn't shite.

PopePouri
09-11-2015, 03:44 PM
Move Zavaleta to midfield. He averages 28 passes with a 79% passing percentage.

ronzilla
09-11-2015, 03:59 PM
I hope you realize that those numbers also include passes back to the goalie and short meaningless passes to defenders which probably account for 50% or more, of his passes.

A good DM also needs to be able to hit long balls up to the forwards and I doubt Perquis would be capable of this.

Perquis stays on the back line.

You want to back that up?

http://www.whoscored.com/Players/19898

Tournament
Apps
Mins
Assists
KeyP
AvgP
PS%
Crosses
LongB
ThrB
Rating

Major League Soccer (http://www.whoscored.com/Regions/233/Tournaments/85)
-
-

Total / Average

Avereges about 30 passes per game at 80%. I would say that's excellent, of course there're simpler passes by nature of his role but he isn't shite.

portu
09-11-2015, 04:00 PM
Move Zavaleta to midfield. He averages 28 passes with a 79% passing percentage.
Pass percentage is misleading, Zavaleta will hit a lot of short passes whilst Damien will often switch the ball cross field

PopePouri
09-11-2015, 04:09 PM
Pass percentage is misleading, Zavaleta will hit a lot of short passes whilst Damien will often switch the ball cross field

Not from what I hear. All he does is go route one.

OgtheDim
09-11-2015, 07:14 PM
Weather update

Back to September in Ontario

Light rain all day

Winds out of the North West at 33 km/h.

High of 19 at game time.

ag futbol
09-11-2015, 07:47 PM
There are a lot of things you can criticize perquis for... Passing most certainly is not one of them. Easily top quartile for MLS CBs in terms of passing range.

stevep
09-11-2015, 09:09 PM
Giovinco didn't train but Vanney said he thinks he'll play Sunday. Staff might just be letting him rest rather than keeping him out because he can't go. That's my hope anyway.

gio hasnt forgotten how to play soccer he doesnt need to be in practice

BelfastBoy
09-11-2015, 10:34 PM
gio hasnt forgotten how to play soccer he doesnt need to be in practice

We talkin' bout practice!

TFC_4_Life
09-11-2015, 10:41 PM
http://images.rapgenius.com/9908cb640cf00bd6689bd2aee22f0a9d.768x506x1.jpg

pawlukj
09-11-2015, 11:26 PM
haha, no not the game man, we talking bout practice, practice man,

no not the game, practice,

this should be a poem ! :D

PopePouri
09-12-2015, 12:23 AM
Have a lot of doubt about this game.

No proper midfield holder with Nguyen running the show. I don't think it'll be be pretty.

pawlukj
09-12-2015, 12:46 AM
dont worry pope pouri, this is just about all our roster has to offer this season, so lets see what they can do

Graeme
09-12-2015, 07:15 AM
There are a lot of things you can criticize perquis for... Passing most certainly is not one of them. Easily top quartile for MLS CBs in terms of passing range.

This is absolutely correct. Can someone post some of his excellent searching long balls to shut down this argument? He's opened up the field for us quite frequently.

Areathrasher
09-12-2015, 07:39 AM

This.

Cant say I'm a massive fan of his but the one thing I wouldn't fault him is his passing.

OgtheDim
09-12-2015, 09:46 AM
dont worry pope pouri, this is just about all our roster has to offer this season, so lets see what they can do

No DM though. Warner & Cheyrou have been good there this season. Creavalle was supposedly the 3rd.

molenshtain
09-12-2015, 10:13 AM
I don't know why Mannella isn't getting minutes when Cheyrou's been out. fits the stay at home Dm role better than Warner.

OgtheDim
09-12-2015, 10:32 AM
Not sure its the time introduce somebody who hasn't been playing with that midfield. Next season I think he steps up.

molenshtain
09-12-2015, 10:53 AM
Cheyrou's missed enough games throughout the season to the point that Mannella could have been introduced as a semi-regular squad player by now. Instead we would try to play with Warner in Cheyrou's role (which never works), or play with no holder (which never really works either). Mannella should be Cheyrou's back up for every game he doesn't play. We can't be in the position of changing our tacticts every time Cheyrou goes down.

OgtheDim
09-12-2015, 11:22 AM
I know you like Manella but Warner has been good in that role when called upon. e.g. the 4-2-3-1

portu
09-12-2015, 11:56 AM
I don't know why Mannella isn't getting minutes when Cheyrou's been out. fits the stay at home Dm role better than Warner.
This^ watching Mannella every now and then for TFC 2 as well makes me think he's ready to at least be a guy we can go to if need be (and this is exactly that sort of time)

ag futbol
09-12-2015, 12:46 PM
Cheyrou's missed enough games throughout the season to the point that Mannella could have been introduced as a semi-regular squad player by now. Instead we would try to play with Warner in Cheyrou's role (which never works), or play with no holder (which never really works either). Mannella should be Cheyrou's back up for every game he doesn't play. We can't be in the position of changing our tacticts every time Cheyrou goes down.
I don't know when that day will arrive but TFC should make sure the kid gets groomed properly - he has strong potential.

SamK
09-12-2015, 12:54 PM
Thursday night at the football for good forum at bier markt Bez said they're going to try to give Mannella some mins down the stretch. He specifically spoke about Mannella and how well he's transitioned to the first team from the academy. Maybe we'll see him soon

DOMIN8R
09-12-2015, 03:57 PM
Toronto FC Versus New England Revolution (http://lastwordonsports.com/2015/09/12/mls-pick-em-2015-week-30-toronto-fc-v-new-england-revolution/?)

Seems the armchair analysts thinks Seba won't play tomorrow. And if so, we have no chance of winning :toetap05:

Given their ridiculously poor success rate, I wouldn't give them much consideration. Great to stir up the juices though!

flamehawk
09-12-2015, 04:29 PM
Some of us are planning on unfurling a refugees welcome banner at tomorrow's game. Any clue if any of the supporters groups plan the same?

Auzzy
09-12-2015, 04:39 PM
Some of us are planning on unfurling a refugees welcome banner at tomorrow's game. Any clue if any of the supporters groups plan the same?

After just returning from Germany, I would like to give this a big :thumbsup:

OgtheDim
09-12-2015, 04:52 PM

FWIW, one was held up at the Belize game.

I'd stand up and applaud a TIFO like that but don't think it will happen. Go for it.

flamehawk
09-12-2015, 05:06 PM
Well, we aren't actually seated in the supporters section but if folks are receptive perhaps we can bring the banner over

Red CB Toronto
09-12-2015, 05:31 PM
Well, we aren't actually seated in the supporters section but if folks are receptive perhaps we can bring the banner over

Bring it over, there was one unveiled in the Ottawa Fury supporters section today, spread the message !

Pint
09-12-2015, 07:36 PM
I believe the one that was at the Belize game will be in the south end.

pawlukj
09-12-2015, 11:26 PM
today is game day, very excited about it, i think this game is huge, may even determine whether or not we have a chance at playoffs, hope the boys are ready

Red CB Toronto
09-12-2015, 11:42 PM
today is game day, very excited about it, i think this game is huge, may even determine whether or not we have a chance at playoffs, hope the boys are ready

Looking forward to hit big time, especially after the amazing Saturday the Jays had , let's keep Toronto to a winning standard.

pawlukj
09-12-2015, 11:51 PM
yeah man thanks for the tickets again and i hope the jays can win too

OgtheDim
09-13-2015, 06:52 AM
:scarf:

GAME DAY!!!

Weather

The light rain is supposed to stop around noon

Kick off will be mostly sunny

17 degrees with a slight windchill
30 km from the North
Sunglasses and coats

Construction & Detours to be aware of

King closed between Peter & University for TIFF - Don't take the King Car There is no King Car between Church Street to Bathurst - there are busesbut that's going to be slow as molassesAlternates to get to Liberty Village include the Dufferin & Ossington Buses

Gardiner is going to be missing a lane until December - #getusedtoit

SRT is closed today - shuttle buses

FRANKIE65
09-13-2015, 08:36 AM
This is it!!! A HUGE match in the quest for a home play off game!

JayMolly
09-13-2015, 10:30 AM
Match Day.
Hope Seba will play.
Go TFC GO!

jloome
09-13-2015, 11:55 AM
I know you like Manella but Warner has been good in that role when called upon. e.g. the 4-2-3-1

Warner is suspended for two games.

Mateo1985
09-13-2015, 02:04 PM
Bringing a bunch of friends over for the game so I will be watching this game from 207 today. Put on a good show in 112 like we always do will ya?

Come on you reds!!!

ensco
09-13-2015, 02:29 PM
Match Day.
Hope Seba will play.
Go TFC GO!

Slick turf. Chilly day.
I hope he doesn't!

69Chevy396
09-13-2015, 02:32 PM
Slick turf. Chilly day.
I hope he doesn't!
He is used to playing in this type of weather. Northern Italy winters are pretty much damp and chilly.

notthesun
09-13-2015, 03:13 PM
https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/643152250785804288

https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/643152955189755906

notthesun
09-13-2015, 03:25 PM
https://twitter.com/NERevolution/status/643156929422979072

Hall at RB vs. Osorio and Giovinco should be fun.

mowe
09-13-2015, 03:33 PM
If we win today that's likely our lineup for the playoffs, with Cheyrou in for Findley.

mook-life
09-13-2015, 03:54 PM
any links to watch this one online livetv.sx is not working for me at work

ag futbol
09-13-2015, 04:11 PM
Strange lineup at first glance. Gap control in front of the back line will be key.

Edit: great start! 3 shots already

ronzilla
09-13-2015, 04:16 PM
any links to watch this one online livetv.sx is not working for me at work

Streams don't start until kick-off

http://cricfree.tv/watch/live/toronto-fc-vs-new-england-revolution-live-streaming

ag futbol
09-13-2015, 04:16 PM
Ouch .... So much for that

burlington Red
09-13-2015, 04:17 PM
Where is everyone. Attendance is woeful.

burlington Red
09-13-2015, 04:18 PM
Seriously u wouldn't see defending like that in a pub team

Soccerpro
09-13-2015, 04:19 PM
Who's going to defend Perquis this week?

He's been making these errors all season. He makes a ton of money and was supposed to be the CB solution this year. He needs to be cut this offseason.

ag futbol
09-13-2015, 04:21 PM
The left sided player (Morrow or Kantri) was nearly as bad. Embarrassing to be split by a ball that easily.

notthesun
09-13-2015, 04:25 PM
That goal was a team error first, then Perquis. Our entire midfield pushed at the same time to win the ball back, they played through it and we had no one protecting our 3-man backline. Morrow was left in no man's land between pressuring the ball and staying with his man. Perquis had to do something because they had 3 wide open back post to tap it in, but it looked like he just missed his touch. Didn't look like he was stretching so much that it couldn't be cleared.

Ajax TFC
09-13-2015, 04:27 PM
The left sided player (Morrow or Kantri) was nearly as bad. Embarrassing to be split by a ball that easily.
No midfield pressure. Osorio and Bradley are essentially the only midfielders. Having three CBs is useless if the other team can cut open your midfield. Would make a lot more sense to just put Williams at RB and let Delgado play in the centre

Ajax TFC
09-13-2015, 04:30 PM
Lol Giovinco made Caldwell his bitch there

Edit: and again

ag futbol
09-13-2015, 04:31 PM
I feel like we should be awarded a goal for that

ag futbol
09-13-2015, 04:32 PM
Toledo doesn't see his assistant put his flag up...

BakaGaijin
09-13-2015, 04:36 PM
I suspect Perquis is paid by organized crime to fix matches. That is the only explanation for his play. Seriously, someone call the RMCP. Get Declan Hill on the case.

Richard
09-13-2015, 04:38 PM
I think its fair to say this is our strongest lineup possible, if we cant win this at home against NER we're toast in the playoffs.

Ajax TFC
09-13-2015, 04:40 PM
^Definitely not. Our strongest lineup has Cheyrou and two fullbacks in it. And it certainly doesn't have Findley in it.

ag futbol
09-13-2015, 04:40 PM
What is altidore doing sanding still on the top of the 18 while Morrow charges the end line? Get in there!!

Ajax TFC
09-13-2015, 04:44 PM
Lol now Bradley making Caldwell look like a fool

Richard
09-13-2015, 04:45 PM
^Definitely not. Our strongest lineup has Cheyrou and two fullbacks in it. And it certainly doesn't have Findley in it.

Yes your right, totally forgot about Warner and Cheyrou lol. I'm not sure about our fullbacks, its not like the players we have in there now are that much worse.

Ajax TFC
09-13-2015, 04:45 PM
Why the fuck does Delgado keep faking the cross when he has space to make it, and then hitting it when the defender is back on him?

Ajax TFC
09-13-2015, 04:48 PM
Why does Bradley take that? That FK was going over from the time Bradley stepped up to the ball

Richard
09-13-2015, 04:49 PM
Looking back on the own goal you cant fault Perquis, shit happens, Kompany gets own goals too, it was 5vs5 where everyone was man marked except for Justin Morrow who couldn't make the play needed at that point.

ag futbol
09-13-2015, 04:51 PM
You have to be kidding me... How unlucky can we get?

andyboy
09-13-2015, 04:52 PM

Not a huge Findley fan myself, but he is having a very good game so far.

JavierMartini
09-13-2015, 04:53 PM
no dm to make the tackle...... just fools standing up with their arms behind their back....

JavierMartini
09-13-2015, 04:54 PM
findley doing his best chad barrett.

ag futbol
09-13-2015, 04:54 PM
no dm to make the tackle...... just fools standing up with their arms behind their back....
Yeah as much as I like the amount of attacking I've seen here... Really could use a dedicated DM

tfcfans
09-13-2015, 04:56 PM
I can't wait until the FO raises ticket prices after a road playoff loss as if that is the measure of success for this team ---- whoopee we finished 5/6 out of 10 in a Conference with two expansion teams.....what a disappointment this season is turning into.....

Ajax TFC
09-13-2015, 04:58 PM
Not a huge Findley fan myself, but he is having a very good game so far.
I agree. He's giving the NE defense problems with his movement. I'd still prefer Warner or Jackson though. Someone who can add some metal to the midfield.

Soccerpro
09-13-2015, 04:59 PM
If people didn't think we were pretenders rather than contenders before, now there's no hiding it.

We're as top heavy as ever with no defensive spine.

ag futbol
09-13-2015, 04:59 PM
Keep pushing ... Goal has to be in there somewhere.

That being said the lack of finishers and crossers of the ball on this team negates a lot of good work.

Ajax TFC
09-13-2015, 05:00 PM
Yes your right, totally forgot about Warner and Cheyrou lol. I'm not sure about our fullbacks, its not like the players we have in there now are that much worse.
It would still be a lot better with Morrow at RB and Morgan at LB than having Delgado at RWB and three CBs to compensate

notthesun
09-13-2015, 05:00 PM
You have to be kidding me... How unlucky can we get?

Pretty unlucky when you have the worst defense in the league.

Teams are coming here and setting up to score one and bunker. The league has seen what our DPs have done to Orlando, Montreal and others at home when they try to match our attack with their own. They've also seen NYCFC, D.C. and SKC park the bus and not just mostly neutralize our offense, but also get gifted goals by our defense.

No doubt this game is going exactly according to Heaps' plan. If Nguyen had scored in the first minute it would've been the same thing. As soon as they scored they dropped as deep as possible and hit us on the counter, and it was worrying.

Vanney still has no answer for teams parking the bus against and we're going to drop points here as a result. If we don't score by the 70th minute I think NE gets one on the counter and wins 3-0 as we push even more numbers forward.

SenorDingDong
09-13-2015, 05:01 PM
I'm feeling a pissed of Giovinco 2-3 goal second half.

ag futbol
09-13-2015, 05:03 PM
The strategy was the right strategy ... We generated a lot of chances that first half and they had little. The goals were individual mistakes more than anything.

SenorDingDong
09-13-2015, 05:04 PM
Ultimately I think management knows the defense is the top priority this off season. Our attack and midfield is decent assuming no one leaves.

Go to italy and sign 3-4 defenders. At least their will be some tactics and unison.

Ajax TFC
09-13-2015, 05:04 PM
Yeah as much as I like the amount of attacking I've seen here... Really could use a dedicated DM
You don't have to give up that attacking play to bring in a DM when you have three CBs

Richard
09-13-2015, 05:06 PM
Ultimately I think management knows the defense is the top priority this off season. Our attack and midfield is decent assuming no one leaves.

Go to italy and sign 3-4 defenders. At least their will be some tactics and unison.

It feel like this has been the priority every year the club has existed and yet contunially were one of the worst defensive teams in MLS history. I got to look up our GA stats since 2007.

Hamilton_Red
09-13-2015, 05:06 PM
Playing three at the back against good teams is terrible. This a coaching problem - it's not bad luck when it happens over and over. Bradley is playing a striker role - no defensive work at all. Vanney has no answer.

Ajax TFC
09-13-2015, 05:11 PM

3-4 italian defenders? Where are you going to find the budget space for that? If you can get Perquis and Kantari off the books somehow, there's a good chance you sign two more players of similar quality. It's a DM that we desperately need. Cheyrou is good, but we're helpless without him. You can put Puyol and Thiago Silva at the back and we'll still concede too many goals without midfield support

portu
09-13-2015, 05:12 PM
Massive disconnect between midfield and defence this half from where i sit

andyboy
09-13-2015, 05:13 PM
Michael, Jozy, Seba, get to work and get us one goal!!!

brad
09-13-2015, 05:16 PM
3-4 italian defenders? Where are you going to find the budget space for that? If you can get Perquis and Kantari off the books somehow, there's a good chance you sign two more players of similar quality. It's a DM that we desperately need. Cheyrou is good, but we're helpless without him. You can put Puyol and Thiago Silva at the back and we'll still concede too many goals without midfield support

Or the international slots.

SenorDingDong
09-13-2015, 05:18 PM
off the line. Grande Seba. He deserves a gollasso.

nonc
09-13-2015, 05:21 PM
Findley is so shit it's disgusting he starts over Gomez and Moore, wanted to puke after praise from colour guy. (Good defensively??? Lol)

notthesun
Findley... ugh. You have to test Shuttleworth there at the very least.

also jesus christ Dobson is the worst. How do you mix up Findley and Bradley?

jimiv
can the Findley project end already...

SenorDingDong
09-13-2015, 05:22 PM
Put Herculeus in!

notthesun
Gomez for Findley please.

Hamilton_Red
Get Gomez on for Findlay right now.

shwade
09-13-2015, 05:23 PM
For the love of all that is holy get Findley off the field! How many more chances does he need to fuck up!

ag futbol
09-13-2015, 05:25 PM
He deserved that.. Worked hard all day

notthesun
All right Findley I'll give you that one. LETS GOOOO!!

burlington Red
Maybe not

nonc
My hate jinx usually works

andyboy
The Findley project has been handed in!

Hamilton_Red
09-13-2015, 05:26 PM
Nice goal Robbie! Sorry about that idiot who hacked my phone!

shwade
Lolol ffs finally

Couchy81
Hell yea old man Findley beauty header!

burlington Red
09-13-2015, 05:27 PM
For the love of all that is holy get Findley off the field! How many more chances does he need to fuck up!

Haha

SenorDingDong
Time for the Seba show to grab the equalizer.

stevep
tfc looks like they are playing against a B league team
tfc far superior even if they lose

andyboy
09-13-2015, 05:33 PM
You're really pushing it, Seba...

notthesun
09-13-2015, 05:38 PM
Wow the pitch just fucked us. Now THAT was unlucky.

ag futbol
09-13-2015, 05:40 PM
Dear god Bradley

Please no one blame the defence for that

notthesun
09-13-2015, 05:41 PM
We gift teams goals. We beat ourselves today.

JavierMartini
09-13-2015, 05:41 PM
LOL!

JavierMartini
09-13-2015, 05:42 PM
would have been an exciting game if we finished our chances.

andyboy
09-13-2015, 05:43 PM
Giovinco yelling at Delgado, well deserved.

adam1001
09-13-2015, 05:43 PM
We are our own enemy. 19 shots and how many on target? New England has two shots and 3 fucking goals.

notthesun
09-13-2015, 05:45 PM
Bunker against us at home and we'll give you free goals. Incredible for any team to come here and do anything but put 11 behind the ball. It works.

ag futbol
09-13-2015, 05:46 PM
What is this ? Lol

JavierMartini
09-13-2015, 05:49 PM
josh williams just got stomped after he made the tackle

69Chevy396
09-13-2015, 05:54 PM
Too bad Orlando and New York City won't be in the playoffs. Seems they are the only teams that TFC manage to outscore. New England are another average MLS club, but are clearly the better team, in terms of defending at least. Too bad we wasted an exciting season with Giovinco, Bradley, Altidore, and even Osorio on occasion. The rest of the team is pathetic.

andyboy
09-13-2015, 05:56 PM
Beer is just not numbing the pain, going to the hard stuff now. G'night boys.

Hamilton_Red
09-13-2015, 06:01 PM
Worst game i've seen Bradley play. He is really deteriorating as a player. TFC does that to players

PAOK17
09-13-2015, 06:01 PM
Part of me hopes that instead of finishing 5/6th, we miss the playoffs entirely. We will get smashed in that away match, yet the FO will play the silver lining card of making the playoffs and then when we will be gifted with higher ticket prices, and sharing our stadium with the Argos next year.

Missing the playoffs won't let them raise prices. In both situations they will have to fix the back line.

Eastend
09-13-2015, 06:02 PM
Dobson is the worst commentator in any sport, in any country, for any station, EVER!!!!!

notthesun
09-13-2015, 06:02 PM
Good lord did Bradley kill this game off with his mistake. Been garbage since their 3rd goal, we lost all energy and belief, can't really blame them for it either.

Eastend
09-13-2015, 06:03 PM
Worst game i've seen Bradley play. He is really deteriorating as a player. TFC does that to players

TFC does that to fans also....sucking souls for 8 years and counting.

notthesun
09-13-2015, 06:04 PM

He made one terrible mistake. He was one of our best players besides that, give me a break.

mowe
That home playoff game is slipping away...

ag futbol
He was pretty damn good getting forward. Too casual in the box before the goal.

Guys have to step up and finish... Crossing needs to be better as well. For the number of times Delgado got the ball out wide he did nothing. Not Seba's best game either really...

nonc
09-13-2015, 06:05 PM
The lack of team intuition around both boxes is crippling, Gio can only mask so much. Nobody cares if you can stagnantly control the ball in the middle of the field.

kwhisperer
09-13-2015, 06:05 PM
I'm feeling a pissed of Giovinco 2-3 goal second half.

Part of me hopes that instead of finishing 5/6th, we miss the playoffs entirely. We will get smashed in that away match, yet the FO will play the silver lining card of making the playoffs and then when we will be gifted with higher ticket prices, and sharing our stadium with the Argos next year.

Missing the playoffs won't let them raise prices. In both situations they will have to fix the back line.

If we miss playoffs, what would be point of going, whatever the price?

Richard
09-13-2015, 06:06 PM
I don't get Bradley, how can someone with that skillset against MLS scrubs be so inconsistent.

ag futbol
09-13-2015, 06:08 PM
I want to say osorio had a really good game dropping deep and spraying the ball around.... Needed some more defensive muscle back there with them tough. A true DM might have snuffed out goals 1 and 2 before they developed.

But really ... If we can't score than one goal off this, we need to look around a bit, with a little more finishing quality its 3-0 at half.

Hamilton_Red
09-13-2015, 06:09 PM
Bradley playing as a 4th striker is killing this team. We need mid-fielders and four at the back. 4 strikers on the field and 2 on the bench... That's just idiotic management.

ronzilla
09-13-2015, 06:11 PM
Perquis and bradley MOTM

Oh yeah, and perquis is a great passer http://i.imgur.com/NxvLl5e.gif http://i.imgur.com/NxvLl5e.gif http://i.imgur.com/NxvLl5e.gif

PopePouri
09-13-2015, 06:12 PM
Have a lot of doubt about this game.

No proper midfield holder with Nguyen running the show. I don't think it'll be be pretty.

Nguyen ends up with two assists. Can't say it wasn't scripted.

It'll be good to get Warner back for the next game.

Areathrasher
09-13-2015, 06:14 PM
Perquis and bradley MOTM

Oh yeah, and perquis is a great passer http://i.imgur.com/NxvLl5e.gif http://i.imgur.com/NxvLl5e.gif http://i.imgur.com/NxvLl5e.gif

Great pass into his own net TBF

ag futbol
09-13-2015, 06:19 PM
Bradley playing as a 4th striker is killing this team. We need mid-fielders and four at the back. 4 strikers on the field and 2 on the bench... That's just idiotic management.
You keep harping on this but the goals today had nothing to do with 3 at the back. If anything we were burnt by the lack of a true defensive mid in the middle to control the space in front of the backline.

The team created more than enough chances to win the game. i fully admit they played below their potential, but if I question anything coming out of this one it's scouting and roster management. Why doesn't this team have a second defensive mid? And please nobody say Warner because he does not cover ground terribly well back there. Why can't the wide players / fullbacks get a good ball in? Why does Findley miss 4/5 chances he gets?

The supporting cast on this team is a huge letdown and they get away with a lot because of the quality coming from a few guys.

DOMIN8R
09-13-2015, 06:50 PM
We had many chances. But couldn't close the deal. Flashes of brilliance all around our squad. But our mistakes killed us. The Revs know how to press and close channels quickly. We seemed to underestimate them. Another bit of bad luck on the heals of another bad luck game (Seattle). Hopefully, this doesn't become a trend.

On the bright side, they scored two goals and..........we scored two goals. g:D

OgtheDim
09-13-2015, 07:05 PM
Missed having a Dm.

We look like a 5th place team.

Many positives. Won most of the headers. Great combination play. Osorio had a wonderful game. Findley deserved his goal.

Konopka is Darn good.

Bradley had a brain fart but was good apart from that.

We beat ourselves tonight.

I can't be depressed after watching Giovinco play like that.

Move on to try our luck in New York.

PopePouri
09-13-2015, 07:17 PM
With Warner back next game, we need to go back to 4-2-3-1 for better squad balance. That means either Seba or Altidore moves to the bench.

I also think Oso has the passing range and ability on the ball to be great in a deeper role along side Warner who'll do the dirty work, move Bradley back to the 10 role.

Detroit_TFC
09-13-2015, 07:24 PM
It would be madness to start Perquis on Wed after this performance but who comes in?

ensco
09-13-2015, 07:25 PM
We had many chances. But couldn't close the deal. Flashes of brilliance all around our squad. But our mistakes killed us. The Revs know how to press and close channels quickly. We seemed to underestimate them. Another bit of bad luck on the heals of another bad luck game (Seattle). Hopefully, this doesn't become a trend.

On the bright side, they scored two goals and..........we scored two goals. g:D

Given that one was scored because our guy got stripped badly in the box ... I think we really scored 3 and they got one, Dom.

Looked blustery/unpleasant out there. BMO isn't barrels of fun in weather.

OgtheDim
09-13-2015, 07:31 PM
It would be madness to start Perquis on Wed after this performance but who comes in?

Zaveletta. In a 3-4-3. Kreis is stuck with Lampard and Pirlo. Poku isn't starting. And their defence is waaaaaay worse than ours.

Detroit_TFC
09-13-2015, 07:38 PM
Zaveletta. In a 3-4-3. Kreis is stuck with Lampard and Pirlo. Poku isn't starting. And their defence is waaaaaay worse than ours.

If he is fit, have to use him for sure. Hoping Cheyrou is back soon too. He would have made a big difference tonight I think.

Pint
09-13-2015, 07:53 PM
Is Morgan injured?

Ajax TFC
09-13-2015, 08:01 PM
You keep harping on this but the goals today had nothing to do with 3 at the back. If anything we were burnt by the lack of a true defensive mid in the middle to control the space in front of the backline.

The team created more than enough chances to win the game. i fully admit they played below their potential, but if I question anything coming out of this one it's scouting and roster management. Why doesn't this team have a second defensive mid? And please nobody say Warner because he does not cover ground terribly well back there. Why can't the wide players / fullbacks get a good ball in? Why does Findley miss 4/5 chances he gets?

The supporting cast on this team is a huge letdown and they get away with a lot because of the quality coming from a few guys.
Lots of good points in here. Three at the back isn't the problem, but if we had a DM to put in, you would sacrifice a CB for that DM and go 4-3-3, 4-4-2 diamond, or some variation. Degado's crossing was also horrible. He gets the ball in tons of space and then waits for his marker to show up before attempting a cross. He's definitely far better as a central midfielder than on the wing.

SoccMan2
09-13-2015, 08:02 PM
So last weekend in Seattle people were talking about a moral victory obtained in defeat in terms of the way the team played without so many starters out, therefore, one would have thought that the team would have built upon this moral victory from last weekend and carried it over to todays game, but this was not the case. This club will have turned a corner for me when they are able to win big games like today's game was, when they are able to finish high enough in the standings to be able to get a home playoff game, when they can go on the road and win or get a result in a respectable number of games, until then really, how much better so far is this team from past versions not that much IMO!

MightyDM
09-13-2015, 08:15 PM

I so totally disagree with this. Our supporting cast is the best we have ever had Moore, for example, is our fifth striker. In any previous year we would have been delighted with him as second choice, in some years staring. Warner is playing very well and is decent cover at CDM. In 2013 that role was Jeremy Hall. Notwithstanding today, do you seriously think this team would be better with Jeremy Hall at CDM?

The problem today was our midfield defensive coverage. We got shredded early - three minutes? Then again at five minutes for the goal then again for the second goal, and if you run those back its all the midfield. Same near the end when we were wide open.

its an issue of the effective use of our talent. Without Cheyrou or Warner, Bradley cannot play in the advanced role, it's just too risky (I said that before - it isn't just hindsight). He is a good defender if that his is responsibility but putting Oso back and him up was very risky, and that isn't depth, that is coaching.

Despite this, when it was 2-1 it looked like there was only one winner - TFC. We were totally dominant and I actually thought if we score quickly it might end up 5-2 for TFC. Then Bradley had his brain cramp. OMG.

I don't understand the anti Perquis stuff - he had a decent game and there were multiple errors on that play before his.. And Findlay had a good game, I see why they got him. Not for his finishing, perhaps, but he worked hard, was positionally sound, and got a really nice goal. Finished better than Sebastian, actually.

and what formation were we playing? If it was three at the back plus wing backs, what was Bradley's role? Sometimes it looked 5-4-1, sometimes 4-4-2, sometimes 4-3-3, often 4-1-5. And that's not a recipient for success.....

OgtheDim
09-13-2015, 08:16 PM
... how much better so far is this team from past versions not that much IMO!

If we make the playoffs, that shows we are better against the competition provided then all past teams.

That's still the only decent yardstick for this season. Make the playoffs.

MightyDM
09-13-2015, 08:16 PM
With Warner back next game, we need to go back to 4-2-3-1 for better squad balance. That means either Seba or Altidore moves to the bench.

I also think Oso has the passing range and ability on the ball to be great in a deeper role along side Warner who'll do the dirty work, move Bradley back to the 10 role.

Good thoughts. What formation were we trying to play today?

OgtheDim
09-13-2015, 08:19 PM
Good thoughts. What formation were we trying to play today?

It was a 3-4-3 that morphed into a 5-4-1 or a 5-3-2 if necessary and then back into a 3-4-3. I kinda liked it, given we had no DM. It was impossible for NER to get any width on us for most of the game.

Jozy let up on their second goal but the guy was running back all the time.

Oh, and did anybody notice how often Jozy schooled Jones? (who should have been sent off for a second yellow)

MightyDM
09-13-2015, 08:29 PM
It was a 3-4-3 that morphed into a 5-4-1 or a 5-3-2 if necessary and then back into a 3-4-3. I kinda liked it, given we had no DM. It was impossible for NER to get any width on us for most of the game.

Oh, and did anybody notice how often Jozy schooled Jones? (who should have been sent off for a second yellow)

it also morphed into a 4-0-1-1-4 on several occasions. Including when they scored.

MightyDM
09-13-2015, 08:30 PM

They didn't need width. They scored up the middle.

OgtheDim
09-13-2015, 08:45 PM
They didn't need width. They scored up the middle.

They usually have WAY more chances then the 5 shots they had because NER swings the ball across the top of the box. They didn't have that this game.

As for the 4-0-1-1-4, DM is a necessity in this league and many of us warned that this game would be an issue because of That. I suspect Cheyrou plays on Wed. Warner will be back as well. We got rid of the 3rd guy who had DM thinking in his playing style - Creavalle.

Marc"2L"
09-13-2015, 08:53 PM
Bradley is kind of an idiot sometimes.

He comes across as being reserved and thoughtful... But then he goes and says that this game didn't matter, because we have lots of home games against teams close to us in the standings.

You mean like, the team directly above you? Today? AT HOME?

flamehawk
09-13-2015, 08:54 PM
Unhappy with the result, but happy at how receptive other supporters were in response to our banner. Unfortunately, security asked us to take it down and have it kept at fan services 20 minutes in. They explained that banners weren't allowed in the supporters section even though I pointed to the sign by the stairs that stated that 110 was indeed a designated supporters section.

http://40.media.tumblr.com/67ad823fb750f07ebb2fafd3fc655e45/tumblr_nun8vch8mE1qe7g74o1_1280.jpg
http://41.media.tumblr.com/c4632cd30635a4a8e63cfb0928809841/tumblr_nun8vch8mE1qe7g74o3_r1_1280.jpg

kwhisperer
09-13-2015, 09:10 PM
Bradley is kind of an idiot sometimes.

He comes across as being reserved and thoughtful... But then he goes and says that this game didn't matter, because we have lots of home games against teams close to us in the standings.

You mean like, the team directly above you? Today? AT HOME?

Did he actually say that? Considering we'll be hard-pressed to hang on to fifth, we could have been within spitting distance of fourth and our coach said it was a playoff test.....I'd say it DID matter.

molenshtain
09-13-2015, 09:11 PM
Did he actually say that? Considering we'll be hard-pressed to hang on to fifth, we could have been within spitting distance of fourth and our coach said it was a playoff test.....I'd say it DID matter.

why exactly would we be hard pressed to hang on to fifth?

kwhisperer
09-13-2015, 09:21 PM
why exactly would we be hard pressed to hang on to fifth?

Montreal has two games in hand and trails us by five points. I know it's the Limp Act but it scares me.

molenshtain
09-13-2015, 09:25 PM
Montreal has two games in hand and trails us by five points. I know it's the Limp Act but it scares me.

our next four games are against 4 of the 5 worst teams in the league, with three of them at home. then two home toss ups against Columbus and New Jersey, then an away game against the Impact. we'll be fine.

kwhisperer
09-13-2015, 09:29 PM
our next four games are against 4 of the 5 worst teams in the league, with three of them at home. then two home toss ups against Columbus and New Jersey, then an away game against the Impact. we'll be fine.

It sounds good on paper and I just hope you're right.

Marc"2L"
09-13-2015, 09:34 PM

“Desperate to get into the home (playoff) position? I don’t think so, not yet,” coach Greg Vanney deflected. “This was an important game... but we have a favourable schedule in front of us.”

Captain Michael Bradley agreed: “We have games at home, games (with teams) right round us (in the standings) and are our ability to take care of business in these last seven games will dictate how good of a position we’ll be in.”

Hamilton_Red
09-13-2015, 09:40 PM

Your new to TFC aren't you? You can't be sure of this team winning any particular game(s). We are really only looking at play-offs because they expanded the format - we'd be 8th in the West. We got lucky with Giovinco this season - that's really the only bright spot.

kwhisperer
09-13-2015, 09:41 PM
“Desperate to get into the home (playoff) position? I don’t think so, not yet,” coach Greg Vanney deflected. “This was an important game... but we have a favourable schedule in front of us.”

Captain Michael Bradley agreed: “We have games at home, games (with teams) right round us (in the standings) and are our ability to take care of business in these last seven games will dictate how good of a position we’ll be in.”

Okay, those comments are fine.

molenshtain
09-13-2015, 09:43 PM
Your new to TFC aren't you? You can't be sure of this team winning any particular game(s). We are really only looking at play-offs because they expanded the format - we'd be 8th in the West. We got lucky with Giovinco this season - that's really the only bright spot.

I've had season tickets since day 1. Thanks for the inquiry though.

and thankfully we're not in the west, so that doesn't actually matter. it's not a black hole after Giovinco. There are other positives to draw from this season and this team. Team building is a progress, next season is when we're real contenders.

Hamilton_Red
09-13-2015, 09:48 PM

Both first two goals were related to only having three at the back - with no midfield cover. Let's not flatter ourselves with "we dominated possession" .."if we took our chances"... etc. The way TFC plays defence reasonably good team can score when they need to. NER walked this game & had as easy an away win as you could hope for against a team that is close to you in the standings. Last week in Seattle - we could have nicked a point if we had scored the equalizer closer to the end of the game. Teams score at will against TFC. Vanney has done nothing to organize our defence to address this. Bradley needs to play as a DM first - we have to have quality in that role & he has to be a ball winner - tackler - destroyer. Getting him up on the attack is a luxury that we can't afford.

Hamilton_Red
09-13-2015, 09:54 PM
I've had season tickets since day 1. Thanks for the inquiry though.

and thankfully we're not in the west, so that doesn't actually matter. it's not a black hole after Giovinco. There are other positives to draw from this season and this team. Team building is a progress, next season is when we're real contenders.

: )

I hope you are right - that's what has kept us with the team all along. Really hope there is only a couple of signings this off-season. We need some stability. I'd even stick with Vanney at this point unless - they can find a proven international manager willing to come in. It seems we come out so flat so often at home - with the talent we've got should be challenging for the top three in the division.

Thought we really missed Morgan's crossing this week - it has become a part of his game that has really improved. Mark needs a lot of work on this.

BelfastBoy
09-13-2015, 09:54 PM
My bold prediction for the rest of the season:

@NYC-D
COL-W
CHI-W
PHI-W
NYRB-L
COLU-D
@MTL-W

Should be fine..

Lennon
09-13-2015, 09:57 PM
Sigh. Wouldn't mind if Perquis or 'The General' aren't back next year.

ag futbol
09-13-2015, 10:04 PM
and what formation were we playing? If it was three at the back plus wing backs, what was Bradley's role? Sometimes it looked 5-4-1, sometimes 4-4-2, sometimes 4-3-3, often 4-1-5. And that's not a recipient for success.....
We generated 21 shots, 5 corner kicks, at least 4-5 free kicks from good shooting positions, dominated possession, had a shitload of crosses from open play, and held them to basically nothing but our own mistakes (which wouldn't be negated by any formation). The downfalls aren't a matter of our tactical setup and given the available players on the day selection wasn't much of a choice either. People are too googly eyed over what they flash the formation as at the beginning of the game and pay much less attention to how it actually works. When you consider the differences between how teams attack and defend in the modern game those lineups you see at the outset fall far short of being descriptive enough to make a real valuation.

Why is the comparison Jeremy Hall vs. Warner BTW? That's a complete false dichotomy. How about taking the money we spent on Gomes and spending it on a DM ... or the money we spent on Findley... etc...? Lot of different alternatives to the choices we've made. When we go up against the top-top teams in this league it's clear player-for-player they are better when you get past the high-end portion of our lineup. Delgado would not start for anyone ahead of us in the standings, neither would Warner. And they probably all have a natural RB (or two or three) on their roster rather than bastardizing their first choice left sided player.

Ajax TFC
09-13-2015, 10:08 PM
We got lucky with Giovinco this season - that's really the only bright spot.
We didn't get lucky with Giovinco. They paid huge money for him and they're getting what they paid for from him.

ag futbol
09-13-2015, 10:25 PM
Both first two goals were related to only having three at the back - with no midfield cover. Let's not flatter ourselves with "we dominated possession" .."if we took our chances"... etc. The way TFC plays defence reasonably good team can score when they need to. NER walked this game & had as easy an away win as you could hope for against a team that is close to you in the standings. Last week in Seattle - we could have nicked a point if we had scored the equalizer closer to the end of the game. Teams score at will against TFC. Vanney has done nothing to organize our defence to address this. Bradley needs to play as a DM first - we have to have quality in that role & he has to be a ball winner - tackler - destroyer. Getting him up on the attack is a luxury that we can't afford.
Bradley is not great at that DM spot - we saw that for the majority of last year and parts of this year. He immediately pressures everything and doesn't think tactically enough, so it's pretty often that he gets dragged way out of place and the other team exposes the area in front of the defence.

And really, if you look at the first goal, there are four flat defenders across the back line and plenty of people back for the second. Guys simply aren't closing down space fast enough or are just making stupid mistakes.

I feel perfectly comortable saying we didn't take our chances given the stats we generated on the day and the balance of play. But that again comes down to individuals - the crosses aren't hitting their target and many guys simply lack an end product.

What you're suggesting, in comparison seems to be parking the bus and ceding possession to a team with plenty of capability to take advantage of it (all while playing at home). This is a strategy for teams that have no other options - not ours.

molenshtain
09-13-2015, 10:32 PM
Sigh. Wouldn't mind if Perquis or 'The General' aren't back next year.

Perquis, sure. On his day Bradley is the second best player in the league. He had a tremendous brain fart today but apart from that was actually pretty good, as he has been all season.

Hamilton_Red
09-13-2015, 10:35 PM
ag - what I am saying is that you can't rave about how well we did once we got behind. Opposing teams score on us when they need to... NER went ahead and they parked the bus. For all our possession - flash and shots we didn't score. They got the insurance goal before the half & it was the perfect away game. When you are as weak defensively as we are as team - you have to fix that first. Putting another striker on for a defender Gomez for Perquis was crazy when we had 3-4 attackers on already.

If you think playing good defence is cowardly.. then we have no chance. There is enough talent in Gio and Alti to score goals... we have to stop making them score 4 or 5 to win games. That's crazy.

MightyDM
09-13-2015, 10:36 PM
They usually have WAY more chances then the 5 shots they had because NER swings the ball across the top of the box. They didn't have that this game.

As for the 4-0-1-1-4, DM is a necessity in this league and many of us warned that this game would be an issue because of That. I suspect Cheyrou plays on Wed. Warner will be back as well. We got rid of the 3rd guy who had DM thinking in his playing style - Creavalle.

OK. But someone has to play that position. If you flip Bradley and Oso, much better IMHO.

MightyDM
09-13-2015, 10:41 PM
Okay, those comments are fine.

WHAT???!!! It's fine to lose the key game of the season so far???? These comments are spin and an insult.

MightyDM
09-13-2015, 10:44 PM

Agreed. Great post. Honest.

molenshtain
09-13-2015, 10:45 PM
WHAT???!!! It's fine to lose the key game of the season so far???? These comments are spin and an insult.

no. in a season one game is no more important than any other. That's a fact. It's impossible to get around. Bradley's just saying it's not the end of the world. He didn't say it's fine, he just said we can work our way back over the next few games.