PDA

View Full Version : GOLTV Canada is no longer on air?

Prof
09-02-2015, 07:35 AM
Obviously there wasn't many subscribers left for this channel, but I must say that I did enjoy watching the pre and post TFC game reviews and the game in an hour.

Wagner
09-02-2015, 07:39 AM
lack of HD is what killed it.

never understood how they couldn't get that done.

Joe Kool
09-02-2015, 08:22 AM
I agree...not having HD was huge. I actually forgot that this channel even existed for a long period of time. Shows how much I watched it. Initially they used to push alot of TFC content onto that channel but then when the big sports stations took over TFC stuff I no longer had interest. Guess it was ok for the people wanting to see the other leagues they showed....but no HD? Got to keep with the times.

SuperTCP
09-02-2015, 09:01 AM
No HD, and that is was pooled in a package with FishTv and FightTv, etc always pissed me off.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-02-2015, 11:08 AM
also losing the rights to Bundesliga (which was fine as they always showed Scheisse Bayern games and whatever else was on) so they didnt have much content

fergiejr
09-02-2015, 11:18 AM
Funny. I just googled GOLTV and the goltv.ca link redirects you to torontofc.ca.

nfitz
09-02-2015, 12:03 PM
lack of HD is what killed it.

never understood how they couldn't get that done.GOL TV Canada went HD in 2011. Though Rogers didn't pick it up in HD until April 2014.

The TFC pre-game show and post-game show have looked fine in HD on Gol TV Canada, along with the match replays.

What killed Gol TV Canada is the loss of content. With beIN Sports buying up so many Canadian rights (even if they don't use them all), and both TSN and Sportsnet pushing for things, the cost of content has gone way up. So less content on Gol TV Canada, less viewers, and ultimately, no channel.

Earlier this year, GOL TV Canada asked CRTC to terminate their licence effective August 31. And they did. Kudos to them for continuing to provide new programming right to the bitter end.

Wagner
09-02-2015, 12:10 PM
GOL TV Canada went HD in 2011. Though Rogers didn't pick it up in HD until April 2014.

The TFC pre-game show and post-game show have looked fine in HD on Gol TV Canada, along with the match replays.

What killed Gol TV Canada is the loss of content. With beIN Sports buying up so many Canadian rights (even if they don't use them all), and both TSN and Sportsnet pushing for things, the cost of content has gone way up. So less content on Gol TV Canada, less viewers, and ultimately, no channel.

Earlier this year, GOL TV Canada asked CRTC to terminate their licence effective August 31. And they did. Kudos to them for continuing to provide new programming right to the bitter end.

it was never HD on Bell.

nfitz
09-02-2015, 12:18 PM
it was never HD on Bell.That was the choice of Bell. Who ironically part-owned GOL TV Canada.

What gives? You give me negative reputation with the comment "wrong" about my post? What was wrong about my post? I never mentioned Bell.

Alixir
09-02-2015, 02:22 PM
I agree...I used to have GolTV however the lack of HD ruined it for me. Although I grew up watching standard def sports...now I am submerged in a sea of HD and really do not enjoy watching sports in standard def.

...and it was in a package with 2 other channels I have absolutely no interest in paying for.

Alixir
09-02-2015, 02:28 PM
it was never HD on Bell.I think they actually showed about 3 games in HD on Bell in the upper 1400s', but the channel was off air other then that then it disappeared shortly after.
....I may have been inebriated at the time so this might have been dream.

Ajax TFC
09-02-2015, 02:37 PM
I had Gol to watch La Liga and Bundesliga. I got excited when Gol got the NA rights to the Eredivisie, but they never showed those games in Canada, and after they lost the rights to La Liga there just wasn't enough good content to make it worth keeping.

vortexdr
09-02-2015, 02:39 PM
Too bad :( I was getting this channel free for the last 2 years....At one stage I signed up with Rogers points for a month and they never took it away...I do agree them losing Bundesliga rights really hurt....

nfitz
09-02-2015, 03:20 PM
...and it was in a package with 2 other channels I have absolutely no interest in paying for.Why not get it a la carte? Rogers had it for about $2.60 a month. I'd assume Bell has similar a la carte pricing (though I'd have assumed that Bell would offer channels in HD if Rogers did ... so perhaps I overestimate Bell).

I think they actually showed about 3 games in HD on Bell in the upper 1400s', but the channel was off air other then that then it disappeared shortly after.
....I may have been inebriated at the time so this might have been dream.Probably not a dream. Back around 2011 when GOL TV Canada first went HD, they got the carriers to carry some TFC games they then had the rights to on HD Preview channels.

GBV
09-02-2015, 05:56 PM
Yeah losing Bundesliga was definitely the death knell.

Wonder if I have to actually call Rogers and spend the usual half hour on the phone to cancel a channel that doesn't even exist anymore. Sadly, this is a question...pricks.

khso11
09-02-2015, 06:22 PM
Yeah losing Bundesliga was definitely the death knell.

Wonder if I have to actually call Rogers and spend the usual half hour on the phone to cancel a channel that doesn't even exist anymore. Sadly, this is a question...pricks.

Ya, I had to call Rogers to officially take the channel off my bill. If not they would probably charge you for another month of a "thank you for your support" screen.

nfitz
09-02-2015, 08:45 PM
There was a note on the bill a month or two ago, that it might take a month or two for the credit to show up, but they'd stop charging at the end of August.

For $2.69 a month, I'm patient to let them go a few months, so I don't have to talk to them.

Auzzy
09-02-2015, 08:55 PM
also losing the rights to Bundesliga (which was fine as they always showed Scheisse Bayern games and whatever else was on) so they didnt have much content

This little kid wants to teach you how to say it right: "Scheiss Bayern" (or "Scheiß Bayern")... ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5tV_14FuaY

Ossington Mental Youth
09-02-2015, 10:31 PM
This little kid wants to teach you how to say it right: "Scheiss Bayern" (or "Scheiß Bayern")... ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5tV_14FuaY

HAHAHA I speak German waaaay better than I write it

boozilla
09-02-2015, 10:57 PM
Never liked the low rent english play-by-play (painfully done in post) or the Benfica/Uruguay etc. pandering.
Switched to SportsNet World to get my Bayern fix. Won't bother posting Schweinsteiger calling Dortmund "Sons of Bitches".
25 titles. 'nuff said.

ensco
09-03-2015, 05:56 AM
This channel made no sense the second Bell and Rogers bought MLSE.

These guys do not want/need to be partners in any nascent sports channels beyond Maple Leafs TV, and NBA TV.

If a team specific Toronto FC TV can't make it on its own, then there is no point

Fort York Redcoat
09-03-2015, 08:15 AM
This channel made no sense the second Bell and Rogers bought MLSE.

These guys do not want/need to be partners in any nascent sports channels beyond Maple Leafs TV, and NBA TV.

If a team specific Toronto FC TV can't make it on its own, then there is no point

Annnnd you just guessed the replacement channels name!

SuperTCP
09-03-2015, 09:52 AM
I enjoyed any TFC content the had, but wish they had more soccer news programs, brought back the "Living Legends" show, maybe showed some Soccer team history shows, etc. The lack of top level soccer games killed the channel for sure.