PDA

View Full Version : ASG: Watering Portions of the Pitch a Half Time?

DOMIN8R
07-25-2008, 10:05 AM
Please enlighten me. :confused:

sulfur
07-25-2008, 10:10 AM
My bet is to soften it up for Becks and gang.

DOMIN8R
07-25-2008, 10:12 AM
Maybe. But it had been rained on 3 hours earlier and they only flooded 2 specific areas of the pitch.

Boris
07-25-2008, 10:14 AM
maybe they told the west ham guys it was real grass?

McBrace
07-25-2008, 10:16 AM
I was told by someone close to the club that they do this to lower the temperature of the pitch. The rubber apparently gets really hot all day and takes a long time to cool????? What I don't understand is why they did it for this game after it rained and so late in the evening.

At the San Jose game they had watered the whole thing... I guess here in Canada we can't avoid flodding the playing surface. Maybe next year we'll see a Zamboni out at half!

DOMIN8R
07-25-2008, 10:17 AM
maybe they told the west ham guys it was real grass?:D

....and earlier in the day when WHU were watching they went over it with a lawn mower.;)

DOMIN8R
07-25-2008, 10:19 AM
I was told by someone close to the club that they do this to lower the temperature of the pitch. The rubber apparently gets really hot all day and takes a long time to cool????? What I don't understand is why they did it for this game after it rained and so late in the evening.

At the San Jose game they had watered the whole thing... I guess here in Canada we can't avoid flodding the playing surface. Maybe next year we'll see a Zamboni out at half!

Greeeeat. More ammo for the the real grass movement.:rolleyes:

McBrace
07-25-2008, 10:21 AM
Greeeeat. More ammo for the the real grass movement.:rolleyes:

I thought it sounded crazy, but that's what I was told! I guess they do have the budget to water a real pitch!:D

Shaughno
07-25-2008, 10:23 AM
No, it's not crazy at all. I played on BMO at 3pm on a Sunday afternoon where it was 30+ degrees out. Within 5 mins my feet were literally burning.

McBrace
07-25-2008, 10:25 AM
No, it's not crazy at all. I played on BMO at 3pm on a Sunday afternoon where it was 30+ degrees out. Within 5 mins my feet were literally burning.

That's only cause you so damn fast!!!;)

Shaughno
07-25-2008, 10:35 AM
Marvell Wynne ain't got shit on me!

denime
07-25-2008, 10:35 AM
Turf when hot is much slower than real grass,watering the turf ball bounce and move similar as on real grass.

DOMIN8R
07-25-2008, 11:17 AM
Thank you folks. And that conlcudes this weeks episode of BMO Field Quirks and Quarks.

Toronto_Bhoy
07-25-2008, 11:22 AM
Watering the pitch was to trick potential strikers into thinking we have real grass…

Velvet Elvis
07-25-2008, 11:23 AM

That was a crazy day ... I can't believe how hot it was on the field.
The heat was literally coming up in waves from below.

Batman
07-25-2008, 11:30 AM
I secretly threw down grass seed yesterday. Bwahahahaha

Field turf problem should be solved in about 10 days.

nimamalek
07-25-2008, 11:42 AM
Turf when hot is much slower than real grass,watering the turf ball bounce and move similar as on real grass.

I think this is the real reason, its done in other places, because the rubber grips better than real grass you get an un-natural bounce, when you water the field turf you get a more natural bounce.

Sonny Cheeba
07-25-2008, 06:07 PM
yeah i saw that too.... i figured there was an unpleasant shit scrape somewhere.

really, watering rubber and plastic? c'mon. get some fucking grass already.

Billy the kid
07-25-2008, 11:53 PM
When I saw someone watering the plastic pitch, I thought it was a cruel joke.

Captain Croatia
07-26-2008, 12:17 AM

It does, when i play on the Iceland and Hershey Center fields, the bottoms of your feet BURN on a hot day.