PDA

View Full Version : solution for TFC TV ratings in the US

nimamalek
07-25-2008, 09:45 AM
The House of Garber has said he would love TFC on national television in the US because of the atmosphere but the TV ratings take a hit, so why not help TFC pull a move for a top star like they helped LA get Becks? The ratings and the away attendance would go up for TFC and the league could show-case their best atmosphere on national TV without taking a ratings hit.

Bobo
07-25-2008, 09:47 AM
Help a Canadian team? I'm just hoping that one day, games start being played on a level field.

mclaren
07-25-2008, 09:54 AM
The House of Garber has said he would love TFC on national television in the US because of the atmosphere but the TV ratings take a hit, so why not help TFC pull a move for a top star like they helped LA get Becks? The ratings and the away attendance would go up for TFC and the league could show-case their best atmosphere on national TV without taking a ratings hit.

when did he say this? got a link?

nimamalek
07-25-2008, 10:16 AM
i read it in the news section, i'll try and find the link

jaahuuu
07-25-2008, 11:31 AM
Help a Canadian team? I'm just hoping that one day, games start being played on a level field.
Garber is a businessman, any anti-canadian bias will be forgotten if the league can make a buck.

Don Julio
07-25-2008, 11:47 AM
Or even better - who the fuck cares if the games are on national TV in the States?! I'm in Canada!

Dirk Diggler
07-25-2008, 11:54 AM
The better long term solution would be to bring ESPN to Canada and take TSN off the air (as an added bonus). Let's all petition to CRTC!

profit89
07-25-2008, 12:00 PM
Or even better - who the fuck cares if the games are on national TV in the States?! I'm in Canada!

Because we have an interest in how the league does, which is an american league. It folds, we fold.

Draracle
07-25-2008, 12:18 PM
The better long term solution would be to bring ESPN to Canada and take TSN off the air (as an added bonus). Let's all petition to CRTC!

Fuck no. TSN has done a lot for sport in Canada, hell of a lot more any any other media outlet.

Give TFC some night games, maybe two a season. 9pm start on Thursday. Make them against LA and a top Eastern team. Broadcast it nationwide. You would for sure boost views in the states with that time slot and a team like LA.

jabbronies
07-25-2008, 12:18 PM
we'd be a circus!

jabbronies
07-25-2008, 12:19 PM
9pm start on Thursday.

I like 8pm Start times better.... not too early not too late

Draracle
07-25-2008, 12:23 PM
I like 8pm Start times better.... not too early not too late

yeah, the key would be early enough for the East coast adult-just-put-the-kids-to-bed audience and late enough for the West coast to get done supper.

And I love the look of the field under the lights.

Limani_Ole
07-25-2008, 12:24 PM
MLSE should open up the bank and splash some real money for a world recongnized DP.. a sticker preferably..

this would kill two birds with one stone..

Don Julio
07-25-2008, 12:29 PM
Because we have an interest in how the league does, which is an american league. It folds, we fold.

So since if TFC games aren't broadcast nationally in the US the league will fold?

I want the best team possible, not the most attractive team to US TV viewers.

Draracle
07-25-2008, 12:43 PM
So since if TFC games aren't broadcast nationally in the US the league will fold?

I want the best team possible, not the most attractive team to US TV viewers.

No, because Garber thinks that TFC's atmosphere can sell tickets. But we are a Canadian team without any players who are known to the general American audience. IF people would tune into the TFC games, they will want to come to games. That was Garbers point.

ExiledRed
07-25-2008, 12:55 PM
If MLS games were broadcast live, late at night on standard TV channels in Britain, they would be watched and garner at least a cult viewership that is stronger than it is today. Most Brits would support the canadian teams over american ones as well.

I think money is in the international marketing of our TV rights, at the end of the day, and the more stars that come here, the more people from the countries they've left will want to watch their progress.