PDA

View Full Version : Voyageurs Cup Final discussion, Wed Aug 26 10PM

Oldtimer
08-26-2015, 11:43 AM
OK, no love lost here on either the Whitecraps or the Limp Act, but the final is at 10PM tonight. Somehow it feels important to me that Vancouver never wins the VC.

http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/attachment.php?attachmentid=3211&d=1369834764
Discussion of the Whitecaps "curse" here:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/mls-voyageurs-cup-vancouver-whitecaps-montreal-impact-major-league-soccer/

(http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/mls-voyageurs-cup-vancouver-whitecaps-montreal-impact-major-league-soccer/)

Pint
08-26-2015, 11:53 AM
I feel the same way.

BuSaPuNk
08-26-2015, 12:34 PM
Ahhh 6-1 the most amazing road experience ever.

notthesun
08-26-2015, 12:48 PM
This is the only scenario in which I could ever cheer for Montreal.

Mateo1985
08-26-2015, 12:50 PM
I'd actually want the whitecaps to win. Only because Montreal would have to lose in order for that to happen. Imagine how deflated they will be for a game with us on Saturday if they lose.

Oldtimer
08-26-2015, 01:07 PM
I want it to go into overtime with the players getting totally exhausted, followed by 20 PKs wearing out the Goalkeepers. Am I wishing for too much? :drum:

Mateo1985
08-26-2015, 01:09 PM
I want it to go into overtime with the players getting totally exhausted, followed by 20 PKs wearing out the Goalkeepers. Am I wishing for too much? :drum:

Best case scenario indeed

portu
08-26-2015, 01:30 PM
As one of the "younger" fans I really don't understand why we don't want the shitecaps to win, I mean isn't Montreal our primary rival?

Ajax TFC
08-26-2015, 01:43 PM
As one of the "younger" fans I really don't understand why we don't want the shitecaps to win, I mean isn't Montreal our primary rival?
Because Vancouver fans and players are annoying AF and we never heard the end of their whining after we beat them in the 2011 final. There's something satisfying about the fact that they've never won it. Montreal have won it numerous times, so them winning it again doesn't change a whole lot in the grand scheme of things whereas Vancouver has never won it, and I'd like to see it stay that way

Lennon
08-26-2015, 02:23 PM
Cheering for Vancouver. It would suck to lose our lead on most Vcups won. Also would be nice to avoid a repeat of half the forum cheering for Montreal in the Champions League.

MartinUtd
08-26-2015, 02:44 PM

Vancouver has never won the Voyageurs cup before...

KEEP THE STREAK ALIVE

MartinUtd
08-26-2015, 02:45 PM
Cheering for Vancouver. It would suck to lose our lead on most Vcups won. Also would be nice to avoid a repeat of half the forum cheering for Montreal in the Champions League.

Those people would cheer for whatever Canadian team is in the CCL.

pdubs
08-26-2015, 02:54 PM
Fuck the shitecaps

OgtheDim
08-26-2015, 03:34 PM
Red cards - no injuries.

9 vs 8 into extra time and 30 penalties

Carts
08-26-2015, 03:37 PM
2-words......... STADIUM FIRE!

Redcoe15
08-26-2015, 03:47 PM
The earth opens and swallows both sides up, thereby giving TFC the Voyageur's Cup and a spot in the CONCACAF Champions League.

:flare::drum::scarf: :drum: :flare:

OgtheDim
08-26-2015, 03:53 PM
The earth opens and swallows both sides up, thereby giving TFC the Voyageur's Cup and a spot in the CONCACAF Champions League.

They'd make us play Edmonton.

billyfly
08-26-2015, 03:56 PM
I hope both of them lose.

Joe Kool
08-26-2015, 08:51 PM
I hope both of them lose.

Ditto...what I was thinking.

TFC07
08-26-2015, 09:26 PM
Looks like a good turn out in Vancouver.

OgtheDim
08-26-2015, 09:53 PM
Well that game is over.

PopePouri
08-26-2015, 10:15 PM
So no extra time but I'll take a 10 man Montreal team who has to chase the game.

Ajax TFC
08-26-2015, 11:08 PM
I guess we'll just have to win the MLS cup to keep Vancouver fans from thinking their the best in the country

mistercorporate
08-27-2015, 12:29 AM
They'd make us play Edmonton.

With F**king Gantar officiating!

Brooker
08-27-2015, 12:35 AM
https://38.media.tumblr.com/f081b8b0fd797a113241e1af7e251c50/tumblr_mp7a90IQXA1stz4uxo1_500.gif

Oldtimer
08-27-2015, 07:33 AM

Montreal has 9 Voyageurs Cups. Toronto has 4. Until 2007 it was awarded for the highest league standings (all Canadian clubs were in the USL at the time). Though the Toronto Lynx came within 1 point of taking it in 2003, from 2002-2008 Montreal won every time. The nifty carrying case that the Voyageurs Supporters group had made never was used until 2009.

Fort York Redcoat
08-27-2015, 08:01 AM
Another personal opinion of support question thread.

The only aspect that troubles me is how much I think of the tourney. I should support the tourney but like every other sport I have a team in, I can't watch while another team goes on to win. My team or nothing. I can't pretend I'm invested or "rooting" another team when mine is out.

Just my opinion and feel free to do the opposite.

MartinUtd
08-27-2015, 10:10 AM

The only aspect that troubles me is how much I think of the tourney. I should support the tourney but like every other sport I have a team in, I can't watch while another team goes on to win. My team or nothing. I can't pretend I'm invested or "rooting" another team when mine is out.

That will be my mantra going forward. Until now I was invested in Vancouver's perpetual failure but now that's gone :(

Ossington Mental Youth
08-27-2015, 11:38 AM

cosign, just feels dirty watching Montreal and Vancouver play when they cant both lose.

PopePouri
08-27-2015, 12:12 PM

I feel this for all other clubs I support but in the dystopian world of Canadian soccer, I want us to be well represented. Even in MLS play, all Canadian teams are underdogs in, let's face it, an American league.

Richard
08-27-2015, 12:24 PM
#GetUsedToIt

TFC doesn't care about the V-Cup so get used to watching these two go for the title for awhile.

Pint
08-27-2015, 12:30 PM
"At Toronto FC we aspire to be internationally recognized as a leader in every aspect that involves our football club, and to be a consistent contender for championships in North America." - TFC's Vision

Too bad on field decisions for Vcup don't follow that vision.

Fort York Redcoat
08-27-2015, 12:41 PM
"At Toronto FC we aspire to be internationally recognized as a leader in every aspect that involves our football club, and to be a consistent contender for championships in North America." - TFC's Vision

Here's a shitty game I'm gonna play this off-season: Mark the attendance to all of the home playoff games for TFC vs the shabbily attended Montreal CCL attendance (including their record breaking final game)

I'm hoping once they pop the playoff cherry they can settle down about how "difficult" it is to get in and play well in a tournament that's by far more interesting (to me. Feel free to go playoffs crazy everyone)

__wowza
08-27-2015, 12:42 PM

Vcup aside, I'm steadfast in the belief that ANY match against Montreal should be treated as a priority.

Pint
08-27-2015, 12:44 PM
Here's a shitty game I'm gonna play this off-season: Mark the attendance to all of the home playoff games for TFC vs the shabbily attended Montreal CCL attendance (including their record breaking final game)

I'm hoping once they pop the playoff cherry they can settle down about how "difficult" it is to get in and play well in a tournament that's by far more interesting (to me. Feel free to go playoffs crazy everyone)

Could also note the 50k we got for the dome game.

Fort York Redcoat
08-27-2015, 12:55 PM
Could also note the 50k we got for the dome game.

I could but I want to be fair and only count attendance AFTER they gave up on the tourney.:mad:

PopePouri
08-27-2015, 12:57 PM
#GetUsedToIt

TFC doesn't care about the V-Cup so get used to watching these two go for the title for awhile.

I don't buy that we didn't care. We just failed.

OgtheDim
08-27-2015, 01:13 PM
The level of team we played in the V Cup semis was on par for what other teams did. We just got beat in the first game and didn't score there.

I'll take Gomez against Montreal next season (as its looking like we are going to finish second to VCWC again).

Note the starting lineup in the second game

Konopka

Morrow Perquis Zaveletta Morgan

Warner Cheyrou Bradley Osorio

Giovinco Altidore

Please tell me how that lineup is giving up on the V Cup?

Fort York Redcoat
08-27-2015, 01:26 PM
The level of team we played in the V Cup semis was on par for what other teams did. We just got beat in the first game and didn't score there.

I'll take Gomez against Montreal next season (as its looking like we are going to finish second to VCWC again).

Note the starting lineup in the second game

Konopka

Morrow Perquis Zaveletta Morgan

Warner Cheyrou Bradley Osorio

Giovinco Altidore

Please tell me how that lineup is giving up on the V Cup?

Firstly, my comment was since the Skydome season and it wasn't directed at anyone at pitch level.

And secondly, What are you quoting one games lineup for? How is that proving anything past that they were planning to win at home in front of home fans? You forgot to give the lineup for that Wednesday night I spent half a day on a bus to watch them live.

Not mad about it or anything but I don't have great memories of it.

OgtheDim
08-27-2015, 01:47 PM
I didnt quote you.

Pint
08-27-2015, 01:51 PM
First leg on the road we didn't take 2 of our DP's and i'm sure the 3rd (bradley) forced his way into the lineup... you know the players you buy to bring championships home.

We also did go with out young Canadian boys in many spots, we just started a bunch of meh.

Then we set fireworks off after we lost

PopePouri
08-27-2015, 01:56 PM
Montreal didn't start Piatti or Romero as well.

If we didn't shit the bed, this wouldn't be worthy of conversation.

Fort York Redcoat
08-27-2015, 02:14 PM
I didnt quote you.

fair enough. Carry on.

Mr. Bigby
08-27-2015, 09:38 PM
I don't give a Rat's Ass about either team, other than to be happy for Carl Robinson. A classy guy who had my respect as a player, and who is earning my respect as a coach.