PDA

View Full Version : Chad Barrett

ManUtd4ever
07-25-2008, 09:16 AM
The McBbride saga appears to be over. The apparent addition of Barrett, who has more goals in the last two seasons than anyone on TFC's current squad has been met with mixed reviews on this board. I for one think it was an unforeseen winfall for the Reds...

dupont
07-25-2008, 09:21 AM
Although it isn't ideal, I was beginning to worry that we would hold out too long and literally get nothing. So it's a bit of a relief. At this point the team needs any sort of change.

ExiledRed
07-25-2008, 09:21 AM
Here, we'll give you a diamond, you offload your cursed striker so we can have a set of two.

ManUtd4ever
07-25-2008, 09:25 AM
Although it isn't ideal, I was beginning to worry that we would hold out too long and literally get nothing. So it's a bit of a relief. At this point the team needs any sort of change.

QFT!

Damien
07-25-2008, 09:25 AM
All I can say about Barrett is at least he's not old.

Don Julio
07-25-2008, 09:28 AM
It would have been a better deal if Cunny went the other way as well.

SilverSamurai
07-25-2008, 09:29 AM
It would have been a better deal if Cunny went the other way as well.
Don't forget CV2!

nimamalek
07-25-2008, 09:29 AM
he is better than nothing, i hope they let cunny go

McBrace
07-25-2008, 09:30 AM

Sort of like waiting on Cunny's stock to go up and now what will you get for him????

Shaughno
07-25-2008, 09:37 AM
Barrett is only 23, he's the Fire's leading scorer and leading shot taker. If we can pair him with a finisher, we've got a smokin' offense. If not, get ready for more missed chances with some goals sprinkled here and there.

trane
07-25-2008, 09:38 AM
The deal may be the best deal we could get, but I have a hard time believing that Barret will spark our offense. His strike rate is simply not good.

trane
07-25-2008, 09:40 AM
Barrett is only 23, he's the Fire's leading scorer and leading shot taker. If we can pair him with a finisher, we've got a smokin' offense. If not, get ready for more missed chances with some goals sprinkled here and there.

That is it, we need a finisher, and from what I have seen it is not Barret. I may be wrong, it is not like I have followed his career closely. The most exposure I have had to him, is swearing at him at BMO.

McBrace
Sometimes players in any sport need a change to jump start. I think it was a solid deal and as already posted he a young guy, so who knows if Carver can pull more out of him! I guess will soon find out.

bdrs
I will have faith until proved wrong. Welcome Barrett!

torfchamilton
07-25-2008, 09:41 AM
We all knew that we would not get Rolfe. Barrett does miss a lot of chances, but we all have learned thru the Cunningham debacle what to expect. If he scores great, if not he is at least a player who works hard and is hungry, unlike Cunny.

trane
07-25-2008, 09:51 AM
His 2008 Stike rate is not bad, he has contributed to 9 goals, meaning he scored 5 and assisted in 4, for 16 games that is not bad.

Shaughno
07-25-2008, 09:56 AM
His 2008 Stike rate is not bad, he has contributed to 9 goals, meaning he scored 5 and assisted in 4, for 16 games that is not bad.

Exactly, not only that... but he's going to bust his balls every game. Something our players have forgot to do lately.

koryo
07-25-2008, 10:22 AM
Exactly, not only that... but he's going to bust his balls every game. Something our players have forgot to do lately.

right, and it's good to remember that he's essentially a make-weight in this deal. Not so bad considerable he looks to be a useful player.

Don't pull the knives out just yet y'all :)

McBrace
07-25-2008, 10:24 AM
right, and it's good to remember that he's essentially a make-weight in this deal. Not so bad considerable he looks to be a useful player.

Don't pull the knives out just yet y'all :)

I'm with you. It's a step in the right direction for sure!

koryo
07-25-2008, 10:27 AM
I'm with you. It's a step in the right direction for sure!

We get a Superdraft top pick, allocation $ & a 23-year-old who has scored 5 in 16 this year. Not bad at all if you ask me.

MG42
07-25-2008, 10:35 AM
I'm happy with the trade but I don't think that Barrett will "spark" the offence, he is what he is, an average forward.

nimamalek
07-25-2008, 10:35 AM
hopefully this wil be a Buddle situation where a new place and a new start will help him in the right direction, anyone know how good he is in the air?

LucaGol
07-25-2008, 10:36 AM
Let's face it....MLS rules are beyond comprehensible.

We basically got players for nothing.

I_AM_CANADIAN
07-25-2008, 10:38 AM
Barrett's not fantastic, but he's still a good striker. When Dichio comes back or Mo finally convinces someone that FieldTurf won't kill them, we'll finally have a good strike partnership we can use in a 4-4-2. Barrett runs his arse off, Dichio does as well but at a somewhat slower pace... ;)

Of course, it would have been nice if we'd thrown Cunningham into the deal... But hey, you can't have everything.

Shaughno
07-25-2008, 10:43 AM
Let's face it....MLS rules are beyond comprehensible.

We basically got players for nothing.

That's why I can't believe people aren't at least somewhat satisfied with this. :lol:

Listen, MsBridesmaid was never going to play in Toronto, ever. So because of that we traded a player we didn't really have, to Shitcago... for their leading scorer, and second highest point getter... with an allocation ($$) AND a 1st round SuperDraft pick (giving us 3 first round picks total).

How this is not a good deal, is beyond me. We fleeced them for a player who, let's face it, will be lucky to finish the '09 season healthy and/or without retiring.

Shaughno
07-25-2008, 10:44 AM
Barrett's not fantastic, but he's still a good striker. When Dichio comes back or Mo finally convinces someone that FieldTurf won't kill them, we'll finally have a good strike partnership we can use in a 4-4-2. Barrett runs his arse off, Dichio does as well but at a somewhat slower pace... ;)

Of course, it would have been nice if we'd thrown Cunningham into the deal... But hey, you can't have everything.

If we can send Cunny to Columbust for another player... :rofl: We'll be laughing all the way to the play offs :rofl:

OneLoveOneEric
07-25-2008, 10:47 AM
Anything will be an improvement. And we got him for free.
It gives us an option to bench the plonkers that we have out there now, so that is good.

Rawkus_420
07-25-2008, 10:49 AM
This cannot hurt at all 5 goals 4 assists.....I think this guys can take a pass better than cunny, so good balls from geuvara, robert, and ricketts will be used alot better. Im looking forward to it, I think smith and this kid up front for the time being will be good, they will pressure defences and bus their balls, let one of them earn the other stirker spto until dichio gets back, then it will be ibby and smith/barrett coming off the bench as the first two subs.

Pryu
07-25-2008, 11:02 AM
We just need to keep upgrading. And Barrett is a good catch for putting dibs on McBride.
Better than anybody we have right now.

LucaGol
07-25-2008, 11:50 AM
That's why I can't believe people aren't at least somewhat satisfied with this. :lol:

Listen, MsBridesmaid was never going to play in Toronto, ever. So because of that we traded a player we didn't really have, to Shitcago... for their leading scorer, and second highest point getter... with an allocation ($$) AND a 1st round SuperDraft pick (giving us 3 first round picks total).

How this is not a good deal, is beyond me. We fleeced them for a player who, let's face it, will be lucky to finish the '09 season healthy and/or without retiring.

Shaugno...admit it...you're just on board with this deal because Chad Barrett looks like Wayne Rooney.

:D

ManUtd4ever
07-25-2008, 12:35 PM
It's good to see that the majority feel it's a positive move for the club at the very least. Does anyone know if Barrett will be available against RSL on Monday?

Draracle
07-25-2008, 12:38 PM
We got a steal. All because we stole that allocation off of SJ. Suckas!!!

ensco
07-25-2008, 01:03 PM
I'm dubious. I voted no, but would be glad to be proven wrong.

I would have put more in the package (ie McBride plus one of our number 1 picks next year) for Rolfe

sidney
07-25-2008, 01:08 PM
I'm very hopeful. Come-on Barrett!!!...he's young, he's a striker, he'll have Robert, Guevera, Ricketts, Brennan (and others) knocking in some great balls....come-on Barrett!!!...come-on you REDS!!!!

Shaughno
07-25-2008, 01:10 PM
I'm dubious. I voted no, but would be glad to be proven wrong.

I would have put more in the package (ie McBride plus one of our number 1 picks next year) for Rolfe

Mo might have offered more, we really don't know. My understanding is that Chicago said under no circumstances were they going to get rid of Mapp or Rolfe.