PDA

View Full Version : Beckham

Flipityflu
07-25-2008, 08:39 AM
it may not be the most popular opinion, but i have to say how impressed i was seeing him live for the first time. i don't think television does some of his passing justice. those diagonal long balls were landing on dimes, and considering he's playing on a surface he isn't used to, i can't help but take my hat off to the guy.

i'm happy it was a neutral game at least :)

OneLoveOneEric
07-25-2008, 08:41 AM
very true.

Nodoubtguy
07-25-2008, 08:42 AM
what struck me is how fast he gets rid of the ball.....every touch is "bring it in, send it out"

Shaughno
07-25-2008, 08:44 AM
Another thing you don't see on TV is how often he's in an open space. The ENTIRE second half he was WIDE open on the right wing. This has always been one of his best assets along with his crossing and set peices obviously.

Ladies Love Julius James
07-25-2008, 08:44 AM
Against England vs Croatia in Euro qualifying he was spectacular to watch and he wasn't even in the starting line-up. Despite what most think the guy still has the magic touch.

Eastend
07-25-2008, 08:46 AM
AND....I can't believe he played the full 90. I truely expected him to sub off after 30 minutes or so. I was impressed to see him playing live for the first time also.

Whitby_Girl
07-25-2008, 08:47 AM
I was so happy to actually see this man in action! He's definitely still got it and any MLS team would be grateful to have him in their squad. When I look at him cross those balls into the box and be bang on every time, it made me wince a little knowing that TFC just can't seem to get things going up there.

Nodoubtguy
AND....I can't believe he played the full 90. I truely expected him to sub off after 30 minutes or so. I was impressed to see him playing live for the first time also.

I thought he'd be off at the half.....I guess when your on TV and in HD, you gotta show off your prized possession!!!

Pachuco
Can't disagree with anything that's been said.

GTA_WOLF
Totally agree on this. Even my old man was gobsmacked as to how well he played.

I must say it was nice for once to be able to go down to BMO and not have to spend 90 minutes chewing my finger nails worrying about the outcome.

Great night out all around....especially pre game at the Brazen Head.

Heathen
07-25-2008, 08:48 AM
For all the hype you don't play for the teams he's played for* or win the shit he's won if you're not a special player.

* Obviously not including his current team

LucaGol
07-25-2008, 08:50 AM
I don't think anyone expected him to put in the type of performances he has been when he first came to MLS.

Sure he's not Becks of Man U...but he's still one of the more dangerous players on the planet...even at 33.

JonO
07-25-2008, 08:50 AM
He was impressive, but there were a bunch of guys sitting behind me and my buddy last night that were so gaga over Beckham I swear they would have blown him if he dropped his pants... (and then fought over the nuts)

Flipityflu
07-25-2008, 08:51 AM
hey, i started a beckham man-crush thread :D

brad
07-25-2008, 08:54 AM
I don't think anyone expected him to put in the type of performances he has been when he first came to MLS.

Actually, I did. He was convincing and Real Madrid in his final days, he turned down AC Milan to come to the US - I doubt Milan would have been after him if he was finished.

jabbronies
07-25-2008, 09:43 AM
I finally got to tell him off for leaving Man U all those years ago....felt good

trane
07-25-2008, 09:45 AM
Another thing you don't see on TV is how often he's in an open space. The ENTIRE second half he was WIDE open on the right wing. This has always been one of his best assets along with his crossing and set peices obviously.

I was just about to comment about that, he has a way of staying a step back from the other players, so that when they push up and the defenders follow, he is open. He has great vision, tactical sense and footy IQ, his ball control is good and every one know his passing, shooting ability. He is a professional on the pitch.

Having said that I still would not want him on the team because of the circus that now follows him.

Mango Kid
07-25-2008, 09:46 AM
Against England vs Croatia in Euro qualifying he was spectacular to watch and he wasn't even in the starting line-up. Despite what most think the guy still has the magic touch.

He was about the only thing magical for England on that day.

Ladies Love Julius James
07-25-2008, 09:53 AM
He was about the only thing magical for England on that day.

No, Mclaren getting the boot right after was just as magical.

Mango Kid
07-25-2008, 09:54 AM
You're welcome.

koryo
07-25-2008, 09:57 AM

and you can quickly become spoiled watching crosses of that quality on a regular basis.

I don't like the Beckham brand, the colossus that is Golden Balls, but you can't argue that he is still a player of quality - albeit on the downslope of his career.

Shaughno
07-25-2008, 09:59 AM
and you can quickly become spoiled watching crosses of that quality on a regular basis.

I don't like the Beckham brand, the colossus that is Golden Balls, but you can't argue that he is still a player of quality - albeit on the downslope of his career.

That's the thing. I hated it before and I hate it now. All the bullshit that comes along with him. Regardless of the circus, he still is a classy professional on the pitch and one of the beter midfielders in the game.

koryo
07-25-2008, 10:00 AM
And it was that circus that ended his Old Trafford career. He hasn't been the same player since.

Ratven
07-25-2008, 10:00 AM
He is definitely extremely impressive. Any footy fans were definitely awed by a lot of his display yesterday I'm sure.

Derko
07-25-2008, 10:07 AM

Well said and I agree 100%:canada:

Pryu
07-25-2008, 10:40 AM
All you haters out there. I know you'll secretly loved him in action.
The man is a Legend. I'm so glad to have seen him in action in my lifetime.

Shaughno
07-25-2008, 10:48 AM
All you haters out there. I know you'll secretly loved him in action.
The man is a Legend. I'm so glad to have seen him in action in my lifetime.

Then there's the others who have praised his play and even last year when he was injured said, "wait until he's healthy, he'll tear this league up and improve that cunt Landy's game 10 fold."

;)

FIL T
07-25-2008, 11:23 AM
:D
He was impressive, but there were a bunch of guys sitting behind me and my buddy last night that were so gaga over Beckham I swear they would have blown him if he dropped his pants... (and then fought over the nuts)

BEST COMMENT EVER!

BC101
07-25-2008, 11:26 AM
Hmm I saw all this Beckham stuff when he was in his prime 1999 so before all the idiotic own goals and Beckham fanclub shit and Career killers FC... He's lost a step or 3. Compared to back then... BUT he was still leaps and bounds above the game here.

I agree I hate the GoldenBalls festival that comes along with him. But the talent for crossing(Right foot) Free Kick(Right foot) cannot be denied.

mikenfer
07-25-2008, 11:27 AM
I was so happy to actually see this man in action! He's definitely still got it and any MLS team would be grateful to have him in their squad. When I look at him cross those balls into the box and be bang on every time, it made me wince a little knowing that TFC just can't seem to get things going up there.

I totally agree. It must be nice to know that the ball will (almost always) be where you expect it.

Toronto_Bhoy
07-25-2008, 11:45 AM
I was just about to comment about that, he has a way of staying a step back from the other players, so that when they push up and the defenders follow, he is open. He has great vision, tactical sense and footy IQ, his ball control is good and every one know his passing, shooting ability. He is a professional on the pitch.

Having said that I still would not want him on the team because of the circus that now follows him.

That's it, Trane.

I have always felt he was grossly overrated by the English media [just like their national team] but he is a player of quality, no doubt.

The way he "floats" in and out of the play is really something to watch…effortless. And he is the best passer of a ball 50 yards and beyond that I have [and my father has] ever seen. That cross in the first half to Blanco…60 yards…pin point.

Koryo mades a good point about the brand…often that's what we hate about celebs, its not their talent…it's the circus.

I'd like to met him away from the nonsense but I certainly wouldn't blow him…:)

Zizi Booba
07-25-2008, 11:46 AM
lol beckman

tfcleeds
07-25-2008, 12:22 PM
I've never been one to be the first to praise Becks either, but I guess it is possible to appreciate the talent he shows on the pitch, and despise everything else that comes along with him off it. I'll give him his due props.

Merlin
07-25-2008, 12:24 PM
Beckham was pure class today. When he had a corner in the supporters end he even flashed a little smile because he knew what was coming. He loves the atmosphere in Toronto, i think he wishes we had a better team to be honest.

jabbronies
07-25-2008, 12:24 PM
And it was that circus that ended his Old Trafford career. He hasn't been the same player since.

yes, yes, yes, yes

everything football wise went down hill for him when he went to Real Madrid. MAN WAS I PISSED WHEN HE LEFT.

but then he went and did Fuck all in that league and I felt a bit better about it.

Now he's here and he's not a player anymore, he's a side show freak. Although I think we treated him well when he was here.
We didn't cheer him everytime he touched the ball, I didn't hear many screaming women confessing their undying love for him, i thought we actually treated him like a footballer.
Did you see that smirk on his face when he came over to that corner...

Shaughno
07-25-2008, 12:26 PM
yes, yes, yes, yes

everything football wise went down hill for him when he went to Real Madrid. MAN WAS I PISSED WHEN HE LEFT.

but then he went and did Fuck all in that league and I felt a bit better about it.

Now he's here and he's not a player anymore, he's a side show freak. Although I think we treated him well when he was here.
We didn't cheer him everytime he touched the ball, I didn't hear many screaming women confessing their undying love for him, i thought we actually treated him like a footballer.
Did you see that smirk on his face when he came over to that corner...

That smirk was because he looked directly at me holding up my United scarf, kissing the badge and giving him the finger. ;)

Seriously.

MFBODD
07-25-2008, 12:44 PM
It was just nice to see crosses and corners not being drilled into the chest of the closest defender for a change.

Rawkus_420
07-25-2008, 01:04 PM
it may not be the most popular opinion, but i have to say how impressed i was seeing him live for the first time. i don't think television does some of his passing justice. those diagonal long balls were landing on dimes, and considering he's playing on a surface he isn't used to, i can't help but take my hat off to the guy.

i'm happy it was a neutral game at least :)

he is the best player in the MLS still, mayeb not the best goalscorer, but the best quality by far, it was obvious by watching him, i was 20 feet away in the corner when he was taking his kicks, saw him up close which was kinda cool...everybody cheered , he smiled an waived...the guys a class act all the way, i dont acre if he doesnt play for TFC I still respect the lad.

Bluenose13
07-25-2008, 01:09 PM
That's it, Trane.

I have always felt he was grossly overrated by the English media [just like their national team] but he is a player of quality, no doubt.

The way he "floats" in and out of the play is really something to watch…effortless. And he is the best passer of a ball 50 yards and beyond that I have [and my father has] ever seen. That cross in the first half to Blanco…60 yards…pin point.

Koryo mades a good point about the brand…often that's what we hate about celebs, its not their talent…it's the circus.

I'd like to met him away from the nonsense but I certainly wouldn't blow him…:)Well that's a relief.......How about Larsson :noidea:

MisterMacphisto
07-25-2008, 01:09 PM
Whoa.....

Oops, sorry! Didn't mean to step right into the Beckham circle jerk. :);):p

greatwhitenorf
07-25-2008, 01:18 PM
So, there you go, you love to hate him, but you love the skills he brings and how he elevates the overall level of the league TFC plays in. Geez, his crosses were to die for. Dichio would nod one home every game if Beckham were on TFC.

I haven't seen one good reason to be critical of him since he signed up for LAG. Can't wait to see him play again and hope we're a fun but classy bunch in dealing with him next time. He was giggling and joking with fans in the NE corner about the streamers. Musta just burned the ass of sourpuss Cathal Kelly at the Star, who would have loved to rip him again.

And why not leave the wife comments out of it, down the road? Posh may not be perfect either, but the two of them are still married to this day and carry on as if they care deeply about each other and life with their three boys. Something to be said for that, in this day and age.

Shaughno
07-25-2008, 01:20 PM
So, there you go, you love to hate him, but you love the skills he brings and how he elevates the overall level of the league TFC plays in. Geez, his crosses were to die for. Dichio would nod one home every game if Beckham were on TFC.

I haven't seen one good reason to be critical of him since he signed up for LAG. Can't wait to see him play again and hope we're a fun but classy bunch in dealing with him next time. He was giggling and joking with fans in the NE corner about the streamers.

And why not leave the wife comments out of it, down the road? Posh may not be perfect either, but the two of them are still married to this day and carry on as if they are nuts about each other and life with their three boys. Something to be said for that, in this day and age.

:rolleyes: Fact of the matter is, when he comes to BMO.. or we go to HDC, he is the enemy and is available for as much scrutiny and hatred as anyone else.

I supported him in his United days, I still enjoy watching him play, it's a treat, but when he plays us, he's the enemy, end of. As for Posh, I'm sure what she hears here is nothing compared to back home.

I_AM_CANADIAN
07-25-2008, 01:30 PM
I saw it on TV, but I was very, very impressed with Becks' passing. What I would give to have a player with his ability in Toronto... I admit that I'm biased, Becks was my favourite player back in his United days (became a fan around the time of his goal from halfway against Wimbledon...), even before he married Soccer Spice.;) Back then, he could score from anywhere in and around the area, he's lost a bit of that eye for goal since, but he's still the best passer of the ball on the planet in my opinion.

That being said, when he comes to BMO with the Galaxy he's the enemy, as the other guy said. TFC comes first.:canada:

Flipityflu
07-25-2008, 10:23 PM
i guess i wasn't in the minority after all.

TFC FAN72
07-25-2008, 10:36 PM
i guess i wasn't in the minority after all.

Not at all.

Was a fan of his during the Man U days, but when he left for Real, although I like their style of play, I was pissed too.

But as everyone has clearly stated, the Man is worlds from anyone else in MLS, and it was a treat to watch him play on OUR field and enjoy himself.

Can't wait to see him in Toronto again, as all we really want to see is some good Footy, and he still has it despite his age.

BigD
07-25-2008, 10:45 PM
From what I have seen of Beckham he has always been classy on and off the pitch.
What made me respect the man was at a Real Madrid practice a kid broke into the field and security chased him. He ran to Beckham who waved security off, gave the kid his jersey and let him hang out at practice.

The media circus is a little much though and makes you want to hate him just for the hype.

Super
07-26-2008, 10:42 AM
I don't blame Beckham for the hype. And let's face it, he uses it to OUR advantage by promoting the league. Like when he went on the Tonight Show, talking about the league and the potential and such. He would've never been on the Tonight Show in the first place if it wasn't for all the hype. Soccer players aren't invited on shows like that, no matter how good they are -- unless they are famous for something else, like Beckham is with the looks, wife, etc..

Draracle
07-26-2008, 10:46 AM
Becks has his kick, that is it. Underpressure he sucks, he can't challenge, and he can't attack. But his kick, omg his kick, is probably top 5 in the world. That long cross he delivered in the second half, from half to the far corner of the 18 took my breath away.

boban
07-26-2008, 11:34 AM
No, Mclaren getting the boot right after was just as magical.
Yeah but that was the next day. ;)

brad
07-26-2008, 06:52 PM
That smirk was because he looked directly at me holding up my United scarf, kissing the badge and giving him the finger. ;)

Seriously.

That is truly awesome.