PDA

View Full Version : The Free Quilly Petition

Shway
08-06-2015, 11:20 AM
I know we won last night, but it's hard for me to forget the goal that Bendik allowed in, and it got me thinkin'.

We do not have a starting GK, as Bendik and Konopka are consistently rotating based on the fact that they are both average if not below average GK's in this league, and neither have been able to cement the starting spot down.

So why not give the homegrown player who's been on the team since 2012 his first shot?

Stats below show he at least deserves a shot:

Player
League
GP
GS
MIN
SO
SV
GA
PKG
PKA
W
L
T

Bendik
Konopka
Roberts
MLS
MLS
USL

What you guys think?

Pint
08-06-2015, 11:28 AM
Having seen Q play a fair amount recently i would be 100% in for him getting an opportunity.

jabbronies
08-06-2015, 11:33 AM
Player
League
GP
GS
MIN
SO
SV
GA
PKG
PKA
W
L
T

Bendik
Konopka
Roberts
MLS
MLS
USL

What you guys think?

You are comparing apples to oranges.

Roberts is playing in a very different situation than the other two.
Not sure what his defensive line situation is like compared to the other two, but playing in USL is far less competitive than in MLS - so the attackers he faces are not as skilled.
His defenders may also be more competent - in a USL situation of course.

He's only 20 years old. Still very young and no need to be rushed into MLS just yet.
The only place I see for him in TFC right now are in friendlies and CC games - which we have none left - so.... ya.
Keep him in USL and develop him further. Maybe Loan him out to Europe a couple times.

BuSaPuNk
08-06-2015, 12:05 PM
The byproduct of goals against is bad defending.

Look at the last 4 games minus last night. Most of the goals against arnt because Bendik or Konopka can't stop the ball its terrible positional defending by Perquis and Morrow and at times the midfield.

If those plays are defended properly in the first place the keepers wouldn't have to struggle on a play.

Doucet3
08-08-2015, 01:21 AM
The byproduct of goals against is bad defending.

Look at the last 4 games minus last night. Most of the goals against arnt because Bendik or Konopka can't stop the ball its terrible positional defending by Perquis and Morrow and at times the midfield.

If those plays are defended properly in the first place the keepers wouldn't have to struggle on a play.

Agree Morrow is a very solid MLS starter... But has his defensive lapses have cost us a few goals against. Perquis has been a liability more times then he should of this year... Good sometimes then rubbish the rest of the match

SirBobSaget
08-08-2015, 01:42 AM
Any thoughts on Quillan's Emotional Quotiant? 2 games ago he hammered a ball out of bounds out of frustration, should have been yellow carded. Last game he bolted out and stood over the female ref very aggressively. It was actually uncomfortable. I don't know the crazy GK thing seemed to work for Oliver Khan but Q might need to check himself before he wrecks himself.

Oldtimer
08-08-2015, 08:26 AM
Andrea Lombardo likely failed because there was no USL affiliation at the time. Let's take the time to properly develop our players befire they have world class DPs challenging them.

Ultra & Proud
08-08-2015, 08:33 AM
Not ready. Having okay number like his in USL may qualify him as a back up in MLS but at his age and experience level, he would suffer against MLS forwards and I bet, have even less control over the back line than Bendik.

For what it's worth, there are better USL GKs than him and lots better in NASL. This is a decent playoff qualifying team and you don't toss a kid in goal to potentially ruin it. Sends a bad message to the players out front and to your other GKs. What we should have done was look for a solid option from the lower European leagues or scour for the best of NASL and make a deal.

Shway
08-08-2015, 11:12 AM
If there are better NASL or USL Gks then they're probably better than Bendik and Konopka.

I know it's not the same league, but it's the same job that you have to do. My argument is that with an experienced backline in front of him we might see a better option in net, and spend the Bendik money elsewhere.

Ultra & Proud
08-08-2015, 11:34 AM
If there are better NASL or USL Gks then they're probably better than Bendik and Konopka.

I know it's not the same league, but it's the same job that you have to do. My argument is that with an experienced backline in front of him we might see a better option in net, and spend the Bendik money elsewhere.No doubt about Bendik's salary being better spent elsewhere. That should be job #1 in the offseason. Since so many other teams have had success with cheap international GKs, I'd like us to give it a go and get an experienced, older one as well while we have this core in place. By the time that GK is winding the career down Bono or Q would be ready. One thing we do not have on TFC is a legit keeper to teach the young guys what it takes to be successful. You can see that at every other position but that one.

SirBobSaget
08-09-2015, 01:46 AM
Pulled at half time after conceding 2. Something is up.

jloome
08-09-2015, 10:02 AM
The byproduct of bad defending is goals against.

Fixed that.

Klinsmann
08-09-2015, 07:31 PM
Q looked great in net the 1 TFC2 game I attended (vs Charleston Battery)

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/414/19812861800_39801aaa64_b.jpg

barticusz
08-19-2015, 05:32 PM
Everyone please take a moment to look at the stats of our two goalkeepers and where they currently rank.

http://www.americansocceranalysis.com/keeper-xgoals-2015/

Please please please tell me Konopka gets to play today for TFCII just to get some minutes in advance of the Orlando match.

adam1001
08-19-2015, 05:35 PM
Everyone please take a moment to look at the stats of our two goalkeepers and where they currently rank.

Please please please tell me Konopka gets to play today for TFCII just to get some minutes in advance of the Orlando match.

Wow. Speaks for itself.

Pint
08-19-2015, 06:13 PM
Konopka and Bono with the 2's, Hopefully Q at least sees the bench on saturday.

aajking
08-19-2015, 11:08 PM

This.

To me, it shows the difference in communication from the keeper to the defense. I believe both keepers are very close in terms of skill but Konopka is better in communication. The backline seem more confident/stable when he's behind them. Bendik seems to get frustrated too easily and takes it out on his team rather than staying focused and working with them.

It's common for keepers and defenders to argue back and forth but I don't feel Bendik does this in a helpful way compared to Konopka.

I'd take neither as a starter in the MLS if I had options but if there are no other options, it's Konopka.

Areathrasher
08-20-2015, 09:48 AM
Apparently the announcers on the TFCII game last night said Roberts may start against Orlando.

Anyone hear that?

barticusz
08-20-2015, 10:07 AM
Apparently the announcers on the TFCII game last night said Roberts may start against Orlando.

Anyone hear that?

Serioulsy?! I'd love for him to get a shot. In all reality we do not having a starting GK for our MLS squad so really anyone should have a shot at this.

notthesun
08-20-2015, 10:15 AM
I would be pretty fucking shocked if we started Roberts, honestly. Not only is it probably a bad idea for our chances in the game but it would create a lot of locker room tension. Bendik was upset when we signed Julio Cesar - imagine how he'd take the news that he's now behind a 20 year old kid with 0 career senior team minutes. Can't imagine Konopka would be thrilled either.

OgtheDim
08-20-2015, 10:45 AM
Given our goals against is on track to be in an area where teams usually don't make the playoffs, I don't think Bendik has much to complain about.

I don't like Roberts coming in because it puts a lot of pressure on him. But, if the brain trust it going to go down that route (and I still have my doubts), Roberts for this game I can live with - Montreal would be a bad idea to introduce him into and then its Seattle.

Areathrasher
08-20-2015, 10:48 AM
Yea, if they are thinking about giving Roberts a shot, this game makes the most sense.

He'll be awfully familiar with a certain Orlando striker...

PopePouri
08-20-2015, 11:05 AM
I would be pretty fucking shocked if we started Roberts, honestly. Not only is it probably a bad idea for our chances in the game but it would create a lot of locker room tension. Bendik was upset when we signed Julio Cesar - imagine how he'd take the news that he's now behind a 20 year old kid with 0 career senior team minutes. Can't imagine Konopka would be thrilled either.

Locker room tension? This is soccer. If you're not good enough on the pitch, you shouldn't deserve to be there.

Plus, Roberts deserves his shot. He's had 3 USL team of the week appearances over a truncated season due to the gold cup duties. That's following an excellent season with Wilmington as well.

Ultra & Proud
08-20-2015, 11:30 AM
Locker room tension? This is soccer. If you're not good enough on the pitch, you shouldn't deserve to be there
I'd argue that it's worse in the locker room for outfield players to see a GK who is playing horrible undo their best efforts. That would bust my morale and also probably is contributing to our defenders getting burned and caught out of position because they are trying to do too much. Also not good for younger guys to see that if a player has a bigger contract then that player will start even if he doesn't play well. What motivation would they have to fight harder? They just saw Konopka get the shaft at the cost of the team presumably because Bendik is higher paid & has seniority and it made no sense. I wouldn't be too sure that didn't play into our current funk either. These 'let downs' do have an effect on the locker room even though these are professionals. You see it in all sports. Teams who fail to add at the deadline are a good example.

PopePouri
08-20-2015, 11:44 AM
I'd argue that it's worse in the locker room for outfield players to see a GK who is playing horrible undo their best efforts. That would bust my morale and also probably is contributing to our defenders getting burned and caught out of position because they are trying to do too much. Also not good for younger guys to see that if a player has a bigger contract then that player will start even if he doesn't play well. What motivation would they have to fight harder? They just saw Konopka get the shaft at the cost of the team presumably because Bendik is higher paid & has seniority and it made no sense. I wouldn't be too sure that didn't play into our current funk either. These 'let downs' do have an effect on the locker room even though these are professionals. You see it in all sports. Teams who fail to add at the deadline are a good example.

To be fair to Konopka, although his shot stopping was good, he's a major gaff waiting to happen. I lost my confidence in him after that game in NY and was he was rightly dropped. If Roberts starts on the weekend, I think the coaching staff has been more than fair with goalkeeping situation.

Shway
08-20-2015, 04:48 PM
I don't like Roberts coming in because it puts a lot of pressure on him. But, if the brain trust it going to go down that route (and I still have my doubts), Roberts for this game I can live with - Montreal would be a bad idea to introduce him into and then its Seattle.

Pressure? No I don't think so.
Maybe more nerves than anything. But if anything Quilly should see this his prime opportunity. Be loud, and vocal something our GK's haven't been doing.

JavierMartini
08-21-2015, 10:35 AM
I feel like Bendik is to Vanney what dunfield was to mariner.Hopefully Im proven wrong this weekend though.

JavierMartini
08-21-2015, 10:36 AM
Pressure? No I don't think so.
Maybe more nerves than anything. But if anything Quilly should see this his prime opportunity. Be loud, and vocal something our GK's haven't been doing.

konopka is very vocal, i feel he commands the back line much better than bendik.

Kamp Berg
08-21-2015, 11:29 AM
konopka is very vocal, i feel he commands the back line much better than bendik.

For sure, Bendik always looks annoyed at the other players. Konopka seems more positive and reassuring. I can't help but wonder if Bendik is suffering from a lack of confidence.

Ultra & Proud
08-21-2015, 11:36 AM
For sure, Bendik always looks annoyed at the other players. Konopka seems more positive and reassuring. I can't help but wonder if Bendik is suffering from a lack of confidence.
I think the league is just passing him by. He looked good 3 years ago and has looked worse since. Is he worse? Probably not. Just never improved. The players in the league are much better now and it shows.