PDA

View Full Version : McBride to Chicago, Barrett to TFC

MG42
07-25-2008, 06:51 AM
a source within Toronto FC has confirmed to Goal.com USA that the Chicago Fire will send Barrett, a first-round SuperDraft selection and allocation money to Toronto in exchange for the former Fulham FC captain

http://www.goal.com/en-us/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=790578

Barrett
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chad_Barrett

Daveisonfire
07-25-2008, 06:57 AM
:ack2:

Shaughno
07-25-2008, 07:01 AM
I think we did pretty well out of a deal for a player who never would have played here.

Eastend
07-25-2008, 07:10 AM
Is Barrett on the USA Olympic squad? Wiki said he was on the qualifying squad but is he now gone to China?

Oldtimer
07-25-2008, 07:26 AM
I'm glad to see a striker. Not a great strike rate, however. Edson Buddle's was better than than Barrett's before he came to Toronto.

At least we can now bench Cunningham.

trane
07-25-2008, 07:34 AM
His strike rate is shit. I am not glad to see this happen, I have liked Mo other moves even Cunny, at first, but his does not seem promising, in any way. Is he a play maker type?

CanuckPete
07-25-2008, 07:41 AM
I think we did pretty well out of a deal for a player who never would have played here.

That's my feeling too.

We got a free 1st rd'er and some allocation scratch.

And you never know what can happen to a young player with a fresh start.

Nodoubtguy
07-25-2008, 07:47 AM
I think the pick and allocation is the key here....

Eastend
07-25-2008, 07:47 AM
His strike rate is shit. I am not glad to see this happen, I have liked Mo other moves even Cunny, at first, but his does not seem promising, in any way. Is he a play maker type?

We already have 2 of these...Guavera, Robert. Lets hope that Barrett can take the feeds from these 2 and finish. What we've been lacking is a finisher. Let's see if he can run WITH the ball and shoot. I think he is an upgrade.

trane
07-25-2008, 07:52 AM
^ That is my point, his stats are not those of a finisher, he has played over 80 games and has under 20 goals, that is a shit strike rate, and it is not like he is comming from a better league, he is an MLS guy. He will not be a finisher, and I was wondering why he was brought in. I was hoping he is at least a play maker. I think the signing sucks.

It may have been the best deal on the table, and the other parts of the deal sound good, but I am not happy to have another have baked striker. Maybe I am wrong.

Nodoubtguy
07-25-2008, 07:54 AM
from Gerry Dobson's new article on sportsnet....

"And finally, Chad Barrett to Toronto to complete the Brian McBride deal. And there will be more. The other shoe is about to drop. Stay tuned."

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/blogs/2008/07/25/dobson_mls_anthem/

Tintin
07-25-2008, 07:57 AM
with the allocation money, they will sign an other player. I am convice. Amado will play central mid with Robinson (Edu is leaving for a while anyway) with Robert and Rickets on the wings and our 2 new strikers up front. This is the chance to save the season.

BTW, I think Barrett will surprise because he will get good service here from Amado and Robert.

Shaughno
07-25-2008, 08:00 AM

The way I look at it, we got Barrett for free along with some money and a superdraft pick.

Barrett is young (23), he's got a tonne of heart and was supposed to be the next Taylor Twellman from all accounts. My feeling is that he's not the answer for our goal scoring misery, BUT an improvement over a fading Cunny.

I do believe Fire fans have used the term "suffering" through his performances in that he wastes a lot of chances, but he is their leading scorer this season with 5 goals so far.

Shaughno
07-25-2008, 08:02 AM
with the allocation money, they will sign an other player. I am convice. Amado will play central mid with Robinson (Edu is leaving for a while anyway) with Robert and Rickets on the wings and our 2 new strikers up front. This is the chance to save the season.

BTW, I think Barrett will surprise because he will get good service here from Amado and Robert.

Pretty much the way I'm looking at it as well. Remember, he's only 23 and he can still make a name for himself. He's the leading scorer for the Fire this season with only one real play maker in Blanco. Now that he's playing with Guevara, Robert and Ricketts it's really a chance to kickstart his career.

Stencils
07-25-2008, 08:05 AM
I think a player with talent and youth could do very well here (potentially). There's a big chance for him to improve since I think we've got some pretty high class staff inside the organization. Hopefully they'll be able to unlock something in Barrett.

To be honest, I'm really just glad that this is done and out of the way and we can look to the real signing work and see what Mo's been doing with his time.

I don't think Blanco and McBride are going to get along anyway....

koryo
07-25-2008, 08:06 AM
The way I look at it, we got Barrett for free along with some money and a superdraft pick.

Barrett is young (23), he's got a tonne of heart and was supposed to be the next Taylor Twellman from all accounts. My feeling is that he's not the answer for our goal scoring misery, BUT an improvement over a fading Cunny.

I do believe Fire fans have used the term "suffering" through his performances in that he wastes a lot of chances, but he is their leading scorer this season with 5 goals so far.

And that's just it. I reckon we've added - depending on what happens the next few days of course - some decent depth if nothing else.

And hell, 5 goals is a slightly better return than Hasbeenham.

Tintin
07-25-2008, 08:08 AM
I think a player with talent and youth could do very well here (potentially). There's a big chance for him to improve since I think we've got some pretty high class staff inside the organization. Hopefully they'll be able to unlock something in Barrett.

To be honest, I'm really just glad that this is done and out of the way and we can look to the real signing work and see what he's been doing with his time.

I don't think Blanco and McBride are going to get along anyway....

I was thinking rhe same thing Both are old, slow and have big egos. Won't work.

Daveisonfire
07-25-2008, 08:10 AM
Pretty much the way I'm looking at it as well. Remember, he's only 23 and he can still make a name for himself. He's the leading scorer for the Fire this season with only one real play maker in Blanco. Now that he's playing with Guevara, Robert and Ricketts it's really a chance to kickstart his career.

I know I put that face above, but I'm with you. First of all, his age alone is an improvement over Cunny. Chad can always get better as he grows...Cunny, not so much.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what we get from Barrett.

It will be a bit disappointing if we turn to a Barrett/Dickov partnership to fix our scoring woes...especially with names like Nuno Gomes and Sukur being thrown around.

tlear
07-25-2008, 08:10 AM
from Gerry Dobson's new article on sportsnet....

"And finally, Chad Barrett to Toronto to complete the Brian McBride deal. And there will be more. The other shoe is about to drop. Stay tuned."

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/blogs/2008/07/25/dobson_mls_anthem/

So we will have Barret who is probably better then Smith or Cunny(currently) and worse then Dichio.. and another signing. Barret will probably provide depth once Duchio recovers and the other signing is here.

Not a bad deal at all.

Tintin
07-25-2008, 08:13 AM
I think Barrett scored more goals than Dichio last year, no?

Shaughno
07-25-2008, 08:17 AM
^^ Yes he did. Plus he's faster and takes a TONNE of shots. Dichio's only advantage is his mind and his touch.

I don't see Barrett on the bench behind Dichio, the other way around actually.

Tintin
07-25-2008, 08:20 AM
^^ Yes he did. Plus he's faster and takes a TONNE of shots. Dichio's only advantage is his mind and his touch.

My thoughts also....

Eastend
07-25-2008, 08:22 AM
Any chance he'll suite up for Monday at RSL?

Shaughno
07-25-2008, 08:24 AM
^^ Hopefully.

koryo
07-25-2008, 08:27 AM

Well, he's 23 and looks to be hitting his stride as a striker. He's the one you want to start, which will allow Carver to ease Ibbe into games rather than throwing him in the deep end. Also saves Dichio having to play the full 90 which, let's be honest, is a bit much for the grand old man these days.

Technorgasm
07-25-2008, 08:28 AM
so Now Chicago has Blanco AND MCBRIDE. . . . and we have Barrett and a draft pick?

Experience over youth kind of set up. . . . this kid better be fuckin good. . .

Shaughno
07-25-2008, 08:30 AM
so Now Chicago has Blanco AND MCBRIDE. . . . and we have Barrett and a draft pick?

Experience over youth kind of set up. . . . this kid better be fuckin good. . .

Look at it this way mate, what will they have next year? Maybe both? Maybe neither. We'll have Barrett for years to come pending any trades obviously.

Shaughno
07-25-2008, 08:31 AM
Well, he's 23 and looks to be hitting his stride as a striker. He's the one you want to start, which will allow Carver to ease Ibbe into games rather than throwing him in the deep end. Also saves Dichio having to play the full 90 which, let's be honest, is a bit much for the grand old man these days.

QFFT. I love the hustle that Ibbe has brought to our front line, but remember the kid is just about 17 and we should NOT be depending on him to carry us into the playoffs.

ensco
07-25-2008, 08:36 AM
Ives doesn't think Mo was forced into this by Garber, and we get more if Barrett doesn't re-sign for 2009

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2008/07/morning-tick-13.html#more

markus
07-25-2008, 08:37 AM
GIVE HIM a CHANCE!!!!....he is only 23...

koryo
07-25-2008, 08:37 AM
QFFT. I love the hustle that Ibbe has brought to our front line, but remember the kid is just about 17 and we should NOT be depending on him to carry us into the playoffs.

Spot on. He's at least 3-4 years from being a regular starter. In the meantime he needs to hone his craft and develop a bit. Otherwise it's another Freddy Adu isn't it?

Northern Soul
07-25-2008, 08:38 AM
Also keep in mind that beacuse he's still young, Dichio can help to impart some of his football wisdom on the lad. Maybe with some coaching from DD, he'll also improve.

Nuvinho
07-25-2008, 08:39 AM
This also sets the stage maybe for next year in the superdraft, now that we have 3 draft picks. We could move San Jose's and Chicago's pick to Seattle to draft O.White and get allocation money.

Shaughno
07-25-2008, 08:39 AM
Pretty much, from what I've seen this kid (Ibbe) definitely has the potential. Give him two years of random subs and maybe a few starts here and there through injuries, but this way he is allowed to hone his skills without having to worry about carrying the team on his back *cough* Lombardo *cough*

ensco
07-25-2008, 08:45 AM
Barrett's 12 goals in 2007 and 2008 is more than any TFC player:

Dichio - 10 (DD does have a higher strike rate than Barrett, though)
Cunningham - 6
Edu - 5

reggie
07-25-2008, 08:47 AM
lets not be like leaf fans and dump on the guy before he gets here,give him a break....

S_D
07-25-2008, 08:48 AM
This totally sucks. Chicago got a steal.

Unless we see a dramatic improvement, by the end of the season you will all want to see this guy gone as much as you do Cunningham. Yes he has more goals than Cunningham but that's only because he has played more minutes. His strike rate is worse.

Barrett is an upgrade on Lombardo, not on Cunningham. But I guess the benefit is we get rid of Cunningham so the players may feel a little more confident in their striker.

Shaughno
07-25-2008, 08:51 AM
Barrett's 12 goals in 2007 and 2008 is more than any TFC player:

Dichio - 10 (DD does have a higher strike rate than Barrett, though)
Cunningham - 6
Edu - 5

^ He also has 35 shots, 14 on goal this season already. Both of those stats are considerably higher than any other player on TFC.

Guevara with the most shots taken at 25
Robert with the most shots on target at 12

Damien
07-25-2008, 08:52 AM
We're gonna have a pretty kick-ass draft next year! 3 Picks in the first round?!!

Our Pick, San Jose's (from O'Brien trade) and Chicago's (McBride trade)

Heathen
07-25-2008, 08:55 AM
Give him a chance, if he's got heart he's already an improvement over Cunny.

Shaughno
07-25-2008, 08:56 AM
This totally sucks. Chicago got a steal.

Unless we see a dramatic improvement, by the end of the season you will all want to see this guy gone as much as you do Cunningham. Yes he has more goals than Cunningham but that's only because he has played more minutes. His strike rate is worse.

Barrett is an upgrade on Lombardo, not on Cunningham. But I guess the benefit is we get rid of Cunningham so the players may feel a little more confident in their striker.

I highly doubt that to be honest, from my point of view anyway. I've hated watching Barrett because he's always been a pain to play against. Barrett is now going to be playing with more than one playmaker (Blanco) in Robert, Guevara and even Ricketts. He has 12 goals in the past season and a half, more than anyone on TFC. He's quick, he runs at defenders, he takes lots of shots and creates opportunities.

Sorry, but I'm very pleased with this deal. A player that was never going to play in Toronto, turns into a young promising striker, a SuperDraft pick AND an allocation.

Besides, do you really think they'll get more than a season.. maybe until the end of next season out of McBride?

T.Reis
07-25-2008, 08:56 AM
I don't see why everyone is so against this. Barrett's got more points then anyone on TFC this year. Not saying he's the answer to our prayers but he's an upgrade and a different sort of option for Carver when Danny comes back.

I just think everyone fell for that "golden boy comes back" story and over evaluated McBride. He's got maybe another year in him after this one and plus he's not going to even feature in 10 games this year with the Fire due to his olympic call up and Mo taking so long to pull the trigger.

Not sure what everyone expected, but I think we did alright.

Also got a question,

With Dunivant done for the year (probably) does that mean we can put him on IR or something and not be forced to take someone off the roster to make room for Barrett?

SilverSamurai
07-25-2008, 08:57 AM
I think we got a good deal.
We BETTER get O'Brien White next year!!!! 3 1st round draft picks is a steal, even if we only trade them for White.

I'm just glad we got a striker that doesn't stand around or jog.
I'm looking forward to the newest member of the TFC family. :)

Tintin
07-25-2008, 08:59 AM
If anybody stole this deal its TFC. GREAT trade for Mo. Barrett will surprise people. Granted he misses alot but he creates chances for himsel alot. With a strik partner up front, TFC will be dangerous.

The key to this deal is the allocation money that will help us get an established triker to partner with Barrett.

Shaughno
07-25-2008, 09:03 AM
With Dunivant done for the year (probably) does that mean we can put him on IR or something and not be forced to take someone off the roster to make room for Barrett?

I do believe that is correct.

nimamalek
07-25-2008, 09:07 AM
how is this guy better than cunny? I think i could get 5 goals playing with Blanco, he must be absolute shit

Shaughno
07-25-2008, 09:08 AM
^^ :rolleyes: Seems to me he's better than any other striker on the Fire at the moment.

ensco
07-25-2008, 09:12 AM
No point dwelling on Barrett's "youth" - he's a rental, same as McBride

If he's does well here, he's gone (per Ives reporting on the deal structure)

SilverSamurai
07-25-2008, 09:15 AM
If anybody stole this deal its TFC. GREAT trade for Mo. Barrett will surprise people. Granted he misses alot but he creates chances for himsel alot. With a strik partner up front, TFC will be dangerous.

The key to this deal is the allocation money that will help us get an established triker to partner with Barrett.
I have to agree. Hopefully Dichio will be back asap as well.

Shaughno
07-25-2008, 09:16 AM
No point dwelling on Barrett's "youth" - he's a rental, same as McBride

No point dwelling on McBride's 'skill', he's lucky if he makes it a full season next year.

ensco
07-25-2008, 09:19 AM
No point dwelling on McBride's 'skill', he's lucky if he makes it a full season next year.

also true :hump:

he should have stayed at Craven cottage where he had chemistry with his teammates, I bet he'll have trouble with that here

Pachuco
07-25-2008, 09:20 AM
I'm worried about one thing. Barrett's contract is up this year? well what happens if he doesn't resign, how do these teams figure out what is fair? is it funny money? is it a draft pick? a player?

Shaughno
07-25-2008, 09:21 AM
Definitely agree. I think he and Blanco will have problems personally.

Some comments from Fire fans...

As a Fire fan, I'll say that it's fair enough. Barrett is a hard worker who is able to create a few chances here and there. If TFC gives him a little company up top, he'll likely work out just fine for them. Best of luck to Chad, and hopefully the change of scenery will be what he needs to realize his potential.

Posted by:JRo | July 25, 2008 at 09:46 AM (http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2008/07/morning-tick-13.html#comment-123782982)

As a fire fan, i actually think we gave up to much for a 36yr old striker with only a year or 2 left.
I whish chad well, and he is a decent set up man up top.. just not the best finisher.. he has always been a class guy and I whish him well

"If given enough chances"
How many players in the MLS that are listed as "Forward", or in the world even, don't score if "Given enough chances".
I mean the more sittters missed, the more likely one EVENTUALLY goes in.
He is terrible.

Posted by:Dannyc58 | July 25, 2008 at 10:13 AM (http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2008/07/morning-tick-13.html#comment-123786308)

Nodoubtguy
07-25-2008, 09:22 AM
I'm worried about one thing. Barrett's contract is up this year? well what happens if he doesn't resign, how do these teams figure out what is fair? is it funny money? is it a draft pick? a player?

I guarantee thats already been decided.

CanuckPete
07-25-2008, 09:23 AM

I'm not sure that is what Ives was saying.

I read it as if we can't convince him to re-sign here, for whatever reasons, we get a little extra something.

Nice move by Mo.

Shaughno
07-25-2008, 09:24 AM
^^ Correct, that's my understand. If for some reason he DOESN'T re-sign, we get more out of the deal. Word on the street is he would most likely sign if offered a new contract.

Tintin
07-25-2008, 09:25 AM
Definitely agree. I think he and Blanco will have problems personally.

Some comments from Fire fans...

Those comments confirm my thoughts. Barrette will work hard and create chances. If we get a proven poacher to just put the ball in while Barrette runs and bothers the D, we are fine.

MG42
07-25-2008, 09:25 AM
G-NzDwwTb6o

Shaughno
07-25-2008, 09:30 AM
See something in common in all of those chances? Defenders scrambling left right and center. This is a good thing, if we get a proven finisher we have a deadly combo up front.

Technorgasm
07-25-2008, 09:41 AM
All will be fine. . . if BARRETTA scores against the Fire on the last game of the year.

http://www.blank-guns.com/gun-sword_1734_7893571.gif

Seems to me he will be hungry to PULL THE TRIGGER and get us some goals. . something we desperatley need

noochie
07-25-2008, 09:47 AM
I am warming up to the move. We should roll out the red carpet for Barrett, and make him feel at ease so he can focus on burying some chances.

"For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else." - Winston Churchill

Side note: What is up with the linking of that above youtube video in every thread. Don't you know that "the youtube" can make anyone look like a genius or an ass given the right footage? Someone with a harddon for making him look bad dug up 5 missed chances... whatever.

arsenal
07-25-2008, 09:48 AM
I am willing to give Barrett a chance. Former #3 overall pick who has led his team in scoring and is just 23 ..... worthy of the term "potential." He has been severely pressing after some easy misses and you can tell it has been in his head. If the coaches here can get him in the right frame of mind and make some improvements he can turn out to be a solid striker. Most complaints from Chi-town fans have been that he is shit as a lone striker but when paired with Rolfe did very well. Lets hope a 4-4-2 with a new striker here can bring out the best in him.

BBBulldog
07-25-2008, 09:51 AM
you guys got raped by Garber forcing TFC to take this trade

Pigfynn
07-25-2008, 10:01 AM
I'm ok with this, and with our midfield to supply him, he'll be good. Just think,we get to watch a forward run his ass off for this team for a change. I know Smith does too, but he's not a real forward. I hope he can be successful and he's now a TFC player so he's our striker that needs to finish more...let's remember that.

olegunnar
07-25-2008, 10:03 AM
To me it depends on if Mo was telling the truth when he said this deal is holding back all the others.
If this is the first domino that's starts a bigger plan in motion then I'm happy.

If this it it...then we got screwed.

Shaughno
07-25-2008, 10:06 AM
To me it depends on if Mo was telling the truth when he said this deal is holding back all the others.
If this is the first domino that's starts a bigger plan in motion then I'm happy.

If this it it...then we got screwed.

I still don't think so even if we dont' get 'the second striker'. I mean, he's like Cunny but HUSTLES. So worse case scenario we got a player (basically for free since MsBridesmaid wasn't coming here anyway) who can jump into the lineup and push Cunny to the reserves where he belongs.

That to me, is a HUGE upgrade. ;)

olegunnar
07-25-2008, 10:09 AM
I still don't think so even if we dont' get 'the second striker'. I mean, he's like Cunny but HUSTLES. So worse case scenario we got a player (basically for free since MsBridesmaid wasn't coming here anyway) who can jump into the lineup and push Cunny to the reserves where he belongs.

That to me, is a HUGE upgrade. ;)

I mean screwed in that we were forced to make a deal, that makes a rival better, and didn't get what we wanted.

Most reports have said we wanted Rolfe or Mapp. Then Garber got involved and boom we got Barrett.

So I'm not saying screwed because Barrett isn't an upgrade, I'm saying screwed in that we were forced to improve a rival team, without getting what we wanted back.

McBrace
07-25-2008, 10:11 AM
Does anyone know if Garber actually forced this trade or is this just speculation?

jwfm1985
07-25-2008, 10:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEuE3u199us

he yells a bit at wynne at the end there, pretty funny

DigzTFC!
07-25-2008, 10:41 AM
Greetings from Colombia,

here was my initial reaction: "I give up and don't want to watch MLS anymore". But the more I read about Chad the more I started thinking about our predicament. His work ethic is phenomenal which is a breath of fresh air. How many offensive opportunities have been foiled by Cunnighams lack of will to chase down a 50/50 ball or Dichio's lack of pace to get there. If Chad has desire and more pace than Dichio he will be a good player for us. How many times have we seen Dichio not attempt on a diving poke in in front of goal because of his hamstring injury? Lots. How many times have we seen Cunny look like a twat while diving for a penalty or not even try to hold up the ball or try to make a header? I think we're going to be very happy with this trade. Barret will miss opportunities but he will be more of a focal point then he was on chicago and his chances will come and he will bury a few. We are so starved he could become a real asset in front of goal.

Listen, there are two senior players next year at forward that are good: Marcus Tracy and O'Brian White. We need White and its possible Mo could lose his job if he doesn't draft him. I'd be willing to trade two first rounds to trade up for him.

Then we have other Canadian players deeper in the draft like Toissaint Ricketts and Tally Hall. These are must pickups because it shores up our wings and helps on the forwards side as welll.

On top of that the allocation allows us to get more in free agency during this window because for some reason we can't just waive Cunny.

tfcleeds
07-25-2008, 10:46 AM
I for one am quite happy with this deal. Let's face it, he's better than anything else we've got right at the moment, he's still young, and we got a draft pick and allocation money along with it. I would perhaps have preferred Mapp in the deal, we were NEVER going to get Rolfe. I'm just glad this saga has come to an end, and maybe we can start moving forward, make another deal or two, and have a striker that's willing to hustle and, hopefully, hit the back of the net once in awhile...

invictusTFC
07-25-2008, 11:09 AM
I for one am quite happy with this deal. Let's face it, he's better than anything else we've got right at the moment, he's still young, and we got a draft pick and allocation money along with it. I would perhaps have preferred Mapp in the deal, we were NEVER going to get Rolfe. I'm just glad this saga has come to an end, and maybe we can start moving forward, make another deal or two, and have a striker that's willing to hustle and, hopefully, hit the back of the net once in awhile...

QFT

It was a great deal. We didn't have McBride under contract. We just had his rights, yet we still managed a 1st round draft pick, allocation and a young forward who can help this team NOW! Furthermore, it now allows Mo to continue to lay the ground work for something bigger. Cunningham is good as gone and I believe some more roster shuffling will take place. In all, Mo made some wine out of water IMO. Its just frustrating how he takes so long to get things done....

sweetlemon69
07-25-2008, 11:17 AM
Guys, Barret under Carver will be a good thing. He'll be under a different regiem(sp?). Plus with the support toronto will give him, he'll go that extra step. Playing in shitcago you don't have that 12th man.

Bluenose13
07-25-2008, 11:21 AM
Greetings from Colombia,

Listen, there are two senior players next year at forward that are good: Marcus Tracy and O'Brian White. We need White and its possible Mo could lose his job if he doesn't draft him. I'd be willing to trade two first rounds to trade up for him.

Then we have other Canadian players deeper in the draft like Toissaint Ricketts and Tally Hall. These are must pickups because it shores up our wings and helps on the forwards side as welll.

On top of that the allocation allows us to get more in free agency during this window because for some reason we can't just waive Cunny.We already have San Jose's 1st pick, which looks like it will be #1......Mo has us in a good spot to build for the future.

olegunnar
07-25-2008, 11:23 AM
QFT

It was a great deal. We didn't have McBride under contract. We just had his rights,

We just gave Chicago a cheap DP...and not the good kind of DP either.

I think people are forgetting this. We made one of our rivals significantly better.
This isn't free money we're playing with.

Fortunately for us McBride is gone all August, but he'll scored tonnes when he comes back.

DigzTFC!
07-25-2008, 11:25 AM
We already have San Jose's 1st pick, which looks like it will be #1......Mo has us in a good spot to build for the future.

don't forget Seattle. They have the 1st overall. Also, with Huckerby and Lima SJ could start winning games in a terrible western conference

James17930
07-25-2008, 11:34 AM
I don't think there's a downside to this at the moment. Yeah, Chicago gets McBride, but the only other thing that could've happened was we refuse a deal and McBride retires and we get nothing.

So would you rather get three things -- a player, a pick and money-- for free or nothing for nothing?

Barrett's only 23 -- he's still got lots to learn, and I'm confident JC and Danny D. can teach him and Winsper can get him fitter than he's ever been fit.

He could easily explode (in a good way). But we have to support him in order for it to happen.

invictusTFC
07-25-2008, 11:40 AM
We just gave Chicago a cheap DP...and not the good kind of DP either.

I think people are forgetting this. We made one of our rivals significantly better.
This isn't free money we're playing with.

Fortunately for us McBride is gone all August, but he'll scored tonnes when he comes back.

Sure, but how long can McBride continue to play for at 36? We've got a young forward in Barrett who is still developing and maturing as a player. With the right guidance he can become a significant player for us for years to come. We've gotten a 1st round draft pick also. So Mo is looking towards the future. Finally we got more allocation money that can be used now.

You have to remember that McBride was never going to play here which in many ways handcuffed us. He wasn't willing to go to any other team but Chicago so its not like Mo could have sold his rights to the highest bidder. IMO it was the best deal that could be had.

Stugatzo
07-25-2008, 11:47 AM
Not good. I don't think the point is how old or full of potential Barrett is. For a player of McBride's calibre and the fact he was badly wanted in Chicago, we should get more or better for him.

TFC_Junky
07-25-2008, 11:49 AM
Welcome To Toronto, Barrett!!!

Shaughno
07-25-2008, 11:56 AM
Not good. I don't think the point is how old or full of potential Barrett is. For a player of McBride's calibre and the fact he was badly wanted in Chicago, we should get more or better for him.

What exactly do you want out of the deal? We didn't have MsBridesmaid signed, just his rights. I do believe if we passed, we waive the rights and Chicago signs him for nothing.

They stated they weren't letting go of Rolfe or Mapp no matter the circumstances. So please, inform me how we could have gotten a better deal out of this.

olegunnar
07-25-2008, 11:59 AM
Does Barret make us better overall than McBride makes Chicago?
Sure our striker situation is shite...but did we just make Chicago that much better than us, just to make our striker situation less shite.

For example (making up crap with numbers to try and prove my point), say we're a 5/10 squad, and adding Barret makes us a 6/10 squad.
If adding McBride takes Chicago from a 6/10 squad to a 8/10 squad we should have stood pat and not let Chicago have him.

shaggingscot
07-25-2008, 12:02 PM
What exactly do you want out of the deal? We didn't have MsBridesmaid signed, just his rights. I do believe if we passed, we waive the rights and Chicago signs him for nothing.

They stated they weren't letting go of Rolfe or Mapp no matter the circumstances. So please, inform me how we could have gotten a better deal out of this.

Exactly, we added to a position that was screaming for an addition and it cost us fuck all. McBride was found money and it got us a striker plus.

I'm quite happy with the deal, especially when you consider the history the league has of screwing teams over to get glamour players where they want them. I think Robert, Ricketts and Guevara will love knocking the ball into space for his runs off the ball.

Shaughno
07-25-2008, 12:07 PM
Sure our striker situation is shite...but did we just make Chicago that much better than us, just to make our striker situation less shite.

For example (making up crap with numbers to try and prove my point), say we're a 5/10 squad, and adding Barret makes us a 6/10 squad.
If adding McBride takes Chicago from a 6/10 squad to a 8/10 squad we should have stood pat and not let Chicago have him.

How do we not let Chicago have him? If we don't sign him do we not waive his rights? I thought that's how it worked.

olegunnar
07-25-2008, 12:11 PM
How do we not let Chicago have him? If we don't sign him do we not waive his rights? I thought that's how it worked.

I dunno for sure.
I thought we had his rights (as the top allocation team)...until next year when someone else becomes the 1st in line allocation-wise. Which is why there was the talk that we'd sit on his rights and then next year it would be Seattle's problem.

I'm glad we got Barrett, we really need help upfront, I'm just nervous we made shitcago a lot better than we should have for so cheap. I'm not fan of Captain America but I think he'll rip this league a new one.

I also think that Mo agrees with me...but JC wants his strikers now which is part of the reason behind his post game blow ups.

Batman
07-25-2008, 12:18 PM

That's fair, but using this type of analysis, we go up 1 point, Chicago 2, and the rest of the league 0.
If we sat on it, we would simply all be zero a la the entire league.
So we improve a bit compared to the league, but lose ground to Chicago.
I'll take that.

Stugatzo
07-25-2008, 12:19 PM
Alright...alright...geez.
:-)

shaggingscot
07-25-2008, 12:19 PM
I dunno for sure.
I thought we had his rights (as the top allocation team)...until next year when someone else becomes the 1st in line allocation-wise. Which is why there was the talk that we'd sit on his rights and then next year it would be Seattle's problem.

I'm glad we got Barrett, we really need help upfront, I'm just nervous we made shitcago a lot better than we should have for so cheap. I'm not fan of Captain America but I think he'll rip this league a new one.

I also think that Mo agrees with me...but JC wants his strikers now which is part of the reason behind his post game blow ups.

Never would have happened even if we could sit on his rights, the league would have forced a deal, they have a long history of doing just that. Something for nothing, found money.

McBride will make them better but he's also off at the Olympics for a while, plus he's on the downside of his career and like we've seem with Danny injuries have a habit of biting us older guys. I'd be surprised if Mcbride plays the remainder of the season healthy.

Shaughno
07-25-2008, 12:20 PM
You could be right about the player rights. I'm just trying to compare to other situations I've seen in the league.

Who knows, but I do know we need a solution for now... and as I said before, I don't think Barrett alone is that solution but paired with another striker I do think it would more than suffice.

olegunnar
07-25-2008, 12:21 PM
Okay
No mas!

I see the benefits in all this, I do! I just wondered if everyone saw the costs. This isn't us getting a player for nothing. This is a calculated risk.

Shaughno
07-25-2008, 12:24 PM
I agree, there is a risk. You always take a risk, like signing Dichio last year. ;)

I do also believe the league would not have let us sit on MsBridesmaid for the remainder of the season.

shaggingscot
07-25-2008, 12:28 PM
Okay
No mas!

I see the benefits in all this, I do! I just wondered if everyone saw the costs. This isn't us getting a player for nothing. This is a calculated risk.

I can see what you're saying but lets face it there was no way Moe could sit on him and not do anything given the fact that we need someone who can find the back of the net. We've got to worry about ourselves first and foremost then worry abut Chicago if and when we meet them in the playoffs.

Tintin
07-25-2008, 12:30 PM
Yhe issue is not if Chicago or TFC won the trade. The issue is that both team got better today compare to the rest of the league! Great deal for both and now TFC is better.

olegunnar
07-25-2008, 12:41 PM
You guys are all right.

You have to admit though...it would have been great to force McBride to retire, and have us be responsible for blocking Captain Americas triumphant homecoming..

jloome
07-25-2008, 12:43 PM
I was thinking rhe same thing Both are old, slow and have big egos. Won't work.

McBRide doens't have a big ego, he's one of the best team leaders in football. This is a deadly good trade for Chicago, and McBride is so far above the standard of other forwards in this league that he'll be knocking in set pieces and crosses from Blanco all season. Let's not get delusional here.

Barrett has been a flop at Chicago, and has had SOME decent service; both Mapp and Blanco are good providers, and so is Thorrington. But Barrett has the skills, just not a good head for the position. And he's going to be coached by Carver, a former premier league defender, and Mo,a former world-class striker. So if he's going to pick up the necessary good habits, it will be here.

It's also worth keeping in mind that most strikers don't hit their stride until 25 and older, regardless of the Rooneys and Owens of the world.

ensco
07-25-2008, 12:46 PM
btw, note that Mo didn't trade the DP slot as part of this

nimamalek
07-25-2008, 12:53 PM
I thought there was suppose to be an official announcement today, whats going on?

arsenal
07-25-2008, 12:54 PM
You guys are all right.

You have to admit though...it would have been great to force McBride to retire, and have us be responsible for blocking Captain Americas triumphant homecoming..

The point is though that he would not retire. At this point, after the Olympics he is in for 8 games + playoffs (if qualified). He would then go through this next year with Seattle holding his allocation rights and trading him to Chicago (they would likely take a multi-player package of mid-tier players with no squad in place). At this point we have weakened Chicago for the games between now and the end of the Olympics (even if Barrett was missing sitters he was still starting) and stengthened our own squad. Best case scenario .... McBride blows his knee in Beijing.

invictusTFC
07-25-2008, 12:55 PM
btw, note that Mo didn't trade the DP slot as part of this

According to Dobson's blog there is something else coming soon. Its been discussed in another thread. I'm hoping that its the DP striker that we've been calling for!

olegunnar
07-25-2008, 12:57 PM
The point is though that he would not retire. At this point, after the Olympics he is in for 8 games + playoffs (if qualified). He would then go through this next year with Seattle holding his allocation rights and trading him to Chicago (they would likely take a multi-player package of mid-tier players with no squad in place). At this point we have weakened Chicago for the games between now and the end of the Olympics (even if Barrett was missing sitters he was still starting) and stengthened our own squad. Best case scenario .... McBride blows his knee in Beijing.

It's bad Kharma to wish injury on people!

Hopefully he'll get bopped on the head and whisked away in a Harrods bag.

dantdot
07-25-2008, 01:03 PM
http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080725.wspt-mcbride0725/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer/home

The completion of the deal might allow other things to happen for Toronto

Johnston said there are two or three teams interested in out-of-favour forward Jeff Cunningham.

Nuvinho
07-25-2008, 01:21 PM
Mo will have cunny out of Toronto soon!!!

Keyman
07-25-2008, 01:23 PM
If we can get anything, and I repeat anything for Jeff Cunningham and his giant salary, then I will be over the moon!

Nuvinho
07-25-2008, 01:27 PM
I think San Jose, Houston, and maybe Dallas are the teams interested. Those are the teams lacking strikers or depth strikers.

Broadview
07-25-2008, 01:31 PM
http://www.globesports.com/servlet/s...rtsSoccer/home

Millson is also saying another International spot as well is included in the deal.

How many Canadians do we have to actually have to have now? I remember oh so long ago hearing about how TFC would be stacked with Canadians. Not the case!

Nuvinho
07-25-2008, 01:34 PM

Millson is also saying another International spot as well is included in the deal.

How many Canadians do we have to actually have to have now? I remember oh so long ago hearing about how TFC would be stacked with Canadians. Not the case!

We only really use 2........Jimmy B and Sutton....haha!!!

Keyman
07-25-2008, 01:41 PM

We tried to be Canadian last season...It didn't work out too well.

The simple fact is that if we want Toronto FC to be successful now, we should place our "Canada first" mentality with the academy and reserves, not our first team.

Wooster_TFC
07-25-2008, 03:18 PM

Right now, technically speaking we could field an entire senior roster of international players since we have 13 I spots and 5 US spots.

See http://64.13.252.151/forums/showthread.php?t=3237 for more info.

It is worth it to note that the extra I really only helps us sign another I dev player. As well, it is short-sighted to bank long-term on I players, because I'm assuming the league will start pulling back the TFC only I/US spots they've allocated us.

noochie
07-25-2008, 03:30 PM
I think this sets up for a unique situation... in that now that Barrett is on board, TFC could pay a striker that would not normally be a DP, a DP salary. On a half year we would only be responsible for 200k (assuming this comes from dumping Cunny) and then next year you could offer max non-DP. This works out over a 2-year contract nicely.

Take Dickov... if he is really holding out for more in year 2 say... you could front-load the contract and have him occupy the DP slot for the rest of the season and then next year scale back to non-DP to free the slot and have him on max non-DP to satisfy the money he is asking for.

Hypothetical of course, but interesting nonetheless :)

Smenge
07-25-2008, 03:34 PM
I think if MO truly wanted Dicov, he would have signed by now....i get the feeling tfc is not willing to waste a dp opportunity on him.....

noochie
07-25-2008, 03:40 PM
I think if MO truly wanted Dicov, he would have signed by now....i get the feeling tfc is not willing to waste a dp opportunity on him.....

I was using him as an example... but think about it. Mo may have asked him to wait it out until this situation got resolved. And by all accounts they are getting shot down by potential DP's. He would only be in that spot for half a season to give Mo time to come up with a longer term plan... better yet, go shopping in the winter window.

It's plausable for sure.

Redpunkfiddle
07-25-2008, 03:42 PM
Haven't seen this posted- the TFC site has a 'media scrum' (TFC TV reporter that is) with Mo.

The deal isn't done, could be finished by 5pm today, otherwise Monday (but he still says there is lots to figure out?), the All Star game kept MLS officials busy, he is shopping Cunningham around are some of the details.

Absolutely no mention of the personel involved, so nothing much added to the picture.

http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/t280/

Jeffro
07-25-2008, 05:59 PM

We can now have 18 international players on our 18 man roster.... only team in the league with that ability

Jeffro
07-25-2008, 06:02 PM
I think that Barrett will be a pleasant surprise for us.... the thing I'm most impressed with is his ability to control crosses, even under good defensive coverage. Lets give him a chance. I'm not saying he will be a superstar, but I think he will score some goals for us.

Oblio2
07-25-2008, 08:06 PM
He's a young striker, worth a shot and we are basically getting him for free. Lets give the guy a shot before we slam him all over these boards

jloome
07-25-2008, 08:19 PM
Pluses: I like his enthusiasm, work rate in general and speed. For all the misses in that "Missed Opportunities" vid, Barrett still created most of the actual opportunities. That immediately puts him ahead of Cunny.

Speaking of whom, I expect he'll be an easy trade due to his track record. And keep in mind that with three goals already this year, based on his minutes played he's on pace to be a 12 goal scorer, were he actually starting and playing significant time. Most teams will take that for $156,000. the problem is we've been playing with one up top, so his lousy rate of 1-in 12 or whatever the fuck it is this season won't help us.

Minuses: Barrett will be better than Cunny but still can't hit the broadside of a fucking barn door. If he can calm down and learn to side foot a nice roller or two in instead of killing the ball every time, he'll be deadly. Americans who are disgusted with him are seeing it through the filtre of him once having been declared "The Next Taylor Twellman", only to have trouble finishing. But 23 is young for a successful striker, aside from the wonderkid types.

Brooker
07-26-2008, 01:35 AM
whats done is done. we can only hope he finds his stride here. i think it's possible. can't wait to see him playing at BMO. WELCOME CHAD!

and DONT STOP NOW MO!

jloome
07-26-2008, 02:00 AM
whats done is done. we can only hope he finds his stride here. i think it's possible. can't wait to see him playing at BMO. WELCOME CHAD!

and DONT STOP NOW MO!

On the "Anyone made a chant yet" for Barrett sig, I gotta ask, would using Michael Jackson's "Bad" be too obvious?

"Because he's chad, he's chad, you know it"

"becuase he's chad, he's chad, he's chad"

"Because he's chad, he's chad, you know it"

and the whole league's gonna remember his name

he's chad"

Or something like that.....

ilikemusic
07-26-2008, 03:58 AM
Personally I think its a great deal.

McBride is an asset that fell into our lap.

Yes, Chicago gets alot better and we probably only get a little better. At least in the immediate future.

Barret is 23 years old, not even in the prime of his MLS career with nothing but upside.

McBride is a great player and definately makes Chicago an MLS Cup contender for this season; but Chicago is only going to get one, maybe two seasons out of him after this year.

As far as long term, forward thinking deals go, I think TFC wins this deal to be honest.

brad
07-26-2008, 11:35 AM
Two things I'm wondering here

-Are we going to keep him or will he be traded to bring in someone else?
-Is he another Esky? Sort of sounds like it, hard worker with limited footballing ability.

rocker
07-26-2008, 02:51 PM
we've had a lot of guys like that eh..

Esky, Buddle, Lombardo, Cunningham... Dichio has probably scored as many as could be expected. But those other 4 were pathetic. 7 goals in 61 games combined... ugh
At least with Lombardo you can write it off to being a kid if you want. But Esky, Buddle and Cunny had all scored goals at a decent clip in the past.