PDA

View Full Version : MLS all-star 2015 game thread

Oldtimer
07-29-2015, 12:55 PM
Can you feel the excitement mount?

Fort York Redcoat
07-29-2015, 01:18 PM
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/82/Can-You-Feel-It-The-Jacksons.jpg

http://a1.mzstatic.com/us/r30/Music/v4/5e/bb/95/5ebb952a-0f14-c426-e684-619577b2c62f/cover170x170.jpeg

kuku
07-29-2015, 01:22 PM
Jozy in for Giovonco

Mateo1985
07-29-2015, 01:24 PM
I'm glad Gio won't play and Jozy will get an extra training session in to hopefully gain better fitness. This is probably the best scenario for us

OgtheDim
07-29-2015, 01:36 PM
Can you feel the excitement mount?

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSay6TcFfaSt2vLgF7beyG4R7G9tQIaC LyCB_t6qcUfKMa8C8YZ6g

ronzilla
07-29-2015, 01:43 PM
Worthless game that has the potential to screw somebody's carreer.

MartinUtd
07-29-2015, 01:54 PM
Is that today?

ronzilla
07-29-2015, 01:56 PM
Tonight at 9:00 PM

Is that today?

Detroit_TFC
07-29-2015, 02:06 PM
I'm glad Gio won't play and Jozy will get an extra training session in to hopefully gain better fitness. This is probably the best scenario for us

yes indeed. Seba can hang around and schmooze with MLS players and bigwigs, and we don't have to worry about him getting hurt. JA probably will get a half at most, probably less.

MartinUtd
07-29-2015, 02:16 PM
I'm gutted we won't be able to see that Gerrard-Lampard midfield FINALLY work.

C.Ronaldo
07-29-2015, 02:52 PM
already stopped by costco for 70" and kept receipt to return after enjoying this one in a life time event

aajking
07-29-2015, 05:44 PM
I might find these a bit more entertaining if they'd do away with MLS vs top European club setup. Am I the only one that finds this belittles the league if they actually want it to be ranked among the best in the world one day?

If the MLS is insistent on an ASG, I'd personally find it more entertaining if we did NBA-style (east vs west) or NHL-style (captains pick teams from group voted in). Somewhat for the reason above but also so there'd be a bit more fun, tricks, chemistry and less about a competitive match. I'd feel there's be a smaller chance of injury this way too; the game would be more of a showcase.

Is there currently a skills competition? Even that would be more interesting (ie. EA FIFA challenges sorta thing).

portu
07-29-2015, 05:51 PM
I might find these a bit more entertaining if they'd do away with MLS vs top European club setup. Am I the only one that finds this belittles the league if they actually want it to be ranked among the best in the world one day?

If the MLS is insistent on an ASG, I'd personally find it more entertaining if we did NBA-style (east vs west) or NHL-style (captains pick teams from group voted in). Somewhat for the reason above but also so there'd be a bit more fun, tricks, chemistry and less about a competitive match. I'd feel there's be a smaller chance of injury this way too; the game would be more of a showcase.

Is there currently a skills competition? Even that would be more interesting (ie. EA FIFA challenges sorta thing).
I'd love to see them do a futsal or beach soccer kind of thing, or fotevole

aajking
07-29-2015, 05:57 PM
I'd love to see them do a futsal or beach soccer kind of thing, or fotevole

Seba would be awesome to watch playing futsal.

portu
07-29-2015, 07:05 PM
LOL wrestling style hype show by FS1

portu
07-29-2015, 07:50 PM
Lalas calls Giovinco future face of the league

TorontoFC6fan
07-29-2015, 08:14 PM
So the galaxy waived penedo.. Hmmmmmmm.

TorontoFC6fan
07-29-2015, 08:18 PM
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/82/Can-You-Feel-It-The-Jacksons.jpg

http://a1.mzstatic.com/us/r30/Music/v4/5e/bb/95/5ebb952a-0f14-c426-e684-619577b2c62f/cover170x170.jpeg
What the f@ck! Lol

Ajax TFC
07-29-2015, 08:21 PM
I find it annoying how the first question to every new player from Europe is: How much better is MLS than you expected?

Detroit_TFC
07-29-2015, 08:25 PM
I find it annoying how the first question to every new player from Europe is: How much better is MLS than you expected?

MLS: "Do I look fat in this dress?"

Euro Star: "Uhhhhh......you look great...?...are we done here?"

portu
07-29-2015, 08:25 PM
so they can get a bomber to fly over the stadium but not an actual name to sing the anthem

Auzzy
07-29-2015, 08:27 PM
Since nobody is watching this... Any good streams to recommend? :D

ryan
07-29-2015, 08:32 PM
So the galaxy waived penedo.. Hmmmmmmm.

He wanted more money than they could give him. I'd look at him for sure if I was Bez.

ryan
07-29-2015, 08:33 PM
Since nobody is watching this... Any good streams to recommend? :D

HD
http://zunox.hk/zunox1.html

ryan
07-29-2015, 08:33 PM
For the record I'm not watching that shit, just being a friendly helpful member!

aajking
07-29-2015, 08:52 PM
I wonder how much money the MLS wastes on these.

Smokecell
07-29-2015, 09:44 PM
Jozy not brought on at half. Glad Bradley and Giovinco were kept out and glad Jozy gets minimal minutes.

portu
07-29-2015, 09:54 PM
Now I'm just watching Tottenham reserves versus a team of above average MLS players

Auzzy
07-29-2015, 11:24 PM
HD
http://zunox.hk/zunox1.html

For the record I'm not watching that shit, just being a friendly helpful member!

Thanks! In the end I decided that keeping the wife happy & painting the basement was more important. ;)

I just watched the highlights. The new 4 minute highlights for all MLS games are useless; they used to be 6 or 10 minutes. Did Jozy do anything useful when he came on. (That question not directed to Ryan who wasn't watching.)

aajking
07-29-2015, 11:40 PM

Again, sorry. This game was beyond pointless.

OgtheDim
07-30-2015, 05:29 AM
Did not watch it.

Apparently Altidore replaced Sam Cronin in the 77th minute. Seems vaguely appropriate.

ag futbol
07-30-2015, 05:51 AM
Again, sorry. This game was beyond pointless.
Agreed. They should just wrap their heads around the fact an ASG for soccer isn't a great concept. Although, if this whole exercise proves anything it's the majority of fans stick to their one team and don't see much value in following the league as a whole.

Oldtimer
07-30-2015, 07:59 AM
I was so excited I actually watched the game highlights.

Fort York Redcoat
07-30-2015, 07:59 AM
I think for all we go off on it if they changed format to E v W All Stars the attendance would be dire.

Initial B
07-30-2015, 08:12 AM
Duane had an interesting idea in his Blog - move the ASG to the first game of the season. Might be a good jumping off point to start the season and avoid some fixture fatigue.

OgtheDim
07-30-2015, 08:17 AM
Mid season all star games at least have a semblance of rewarding current quality. And people are more likely to watch something in late July.

Having one at the beginning of the season would be even more pointless. March Madness alone would take most interest out of it.

Ultra & Proud
07-30-2015, 08:28 AM
Mid season all star games at least have a semblance of rewarding current quality.
Gerrard and Lampard.

ManUtd4ever
07-30-2015, 08:54 AM
Just scrap it all together. The All Star game has no place in a football league. As mentioned, East vs West probably wouldn't draw very well, and there are plenty of big name European clubs touring North America every year to play friendlies against MLS clubs now on a regular basis. The current All Star game format seems like overkill.

Detroit_TFC
07-30-2015, 08:56 AM
Based on what happened minute 1 to 90, it wasn't a bad game. But as an event, it was ridiculous. More pompous than usual due to 20th anniversary. However, like a lot of questionable things in MLS, we're stuck with the ASG at least through Garber's tenure, possibly longer. I'm marginally more in favor of East vs West in terms of sensibility but as Redcoat says, may not be much of a draw.

C.Ronaldo
07-30-2015, 10:01 AM
what if it included challenges. free kicks, volleys, tricks, speed with ball at feet

also have a monkey out there smoking a cigarette

Pint
07-30-2015, 10:04 AM
May as well go all out north American three ring circus with the all star game. People actually enjoy the HR derby, dunk contest and occasionally hardest shot competitions.

My preference would be to not have the thing but if it's held you may as well turn it into a gong show and pick a few of the fifa skills and set them up. Hell a fk comp between pirlo, gio, kaka etc may actually be slightly entertaining.

TOBOR !
07-30-2015, 04:07 PM
I forgot all about this until I saw this thread.... and I missed nothing.

What they ought to do is the old NHL styles : have last years MLS Champs play a team made up of league all stars (before the season starts, as someone mentioned).

jloome
07-30-2015, 06:19 PM
I forgot all about this until I saw this thread.... and I missed nothing.

What they ought to do is the old NHL styles : have last years MLS Champs play a team made up of league all stars (before the season starts, as someone mentioned).
It was a good game. Several Mls players looked v good indeed. Kane is still a monster

anto7
07-30-2015, 08:10 PM
I personally really enjoy watching the All Star Game. Sure it's over hyped like hell and is played at a pretty crappy time of the season. But it's also a lot of fun and I get the sense that the players have a lot of fun playing in it too. It's a celebration of the game in North America, we have to accept and embrace that we are not like the rest of the soccer playing world and I don't think we necessarily need to be either.
How cool is it to see the likes of Kaka and Villa playing together and having fun doing so. I think it's a nice break for the players and I think the host city and its fans get a lot out of it.
The All star game I went to see at BMO was thoroughly enjoyable and seeing our own boys Dero and Jimmy B lining up alongside the likes of Beckham and Blanco was pretty cool.
Each to their own though

habstfc
07-31-2015, 02:10 AM
Kaka winning MVP was a joke. The guy scores on a PK. Rimando easily deserved it, made 2 huge saves.

Bishop Blaize
07-31-2015, 08:57 AM
have a community shield type game preseason like they have in UK.The precusor to the new season.
Keep the season as distraction free as possible, we already have enough distractions with big name (and in some cases not even big name Euro) clubs playing friendlies here in the summer, no need to add to it by flying DP's to play 45 mins in this game.

Shway
07-31-2015, 09:11 AM
Kaka winning MVP was a joke. The guy scores on a PK. Rimando easily deserved it, made 2 huge saves.

Ironically the handball on Chadli was falling right on Kaka's head
And he had the assist on the game winner.....

Shway
07-31-2015, 09:34 AM
It seems as if I'm one of the very few who doesn't mind the ASG. I think there are many other issues with the league that need to be addressed before the ASG.
i.e. FRIENDLIES!

However I watched the game, and in the first half the All-stars were absolutely bossing Tottenham (I know they're shit but w.e). Even if Tottenham was in mid-season form, the AST would beat them every time considering these guys had one practice together.

With Dempsey, Villa, Kaka, and Zardes it was by farrrrr the best quality ball I have seen the MLS produce. Just the IQ alone from these players showed the difference than regular season play with the intricate passing in tight spaces, I felt it was embarrassing to the shite the audacity some of the players had. Dempsey did a rabonna through ball to Villa in midfield, Kaka was toying with Bentaleb with his foot work, Zardes & BEASLEY were having a go at Kyle Walker to the point where he wasn't being friendly anymore.

And this was absent Gio, Bradley, Martins, Pirlo ect....

My only thoughts from this game was never pick a club like Tottenham again, because now the league has the quality to challenge some of the top European clubs, and it doesn't make any sense to bring a shit club like Tottenham, who aren't even champions league calibre.

Detroit_TFC
07-31-2015, 09:54 AM
Given Garber's comments, as well as those of other people, fair bet next season's ASG will be East vs West.

Richard
07-31-2015, 11:29 AM
Given Garber's comments, as well as those of other people, fair bet next season's ASG will be East vs West.

I think that's a mistake, MLS is in a unique position where they can host a brand name team to help market the game.

It seems as if I'm one of the very few who doesn't mind the ASG. I think there are many other issues with the league that need to be addressed before the ASG.
i.e. FRIENDLIES!

However I watched the game, and in the first half the All-stars were absolutely bossing Tottenham (I know they're shit but w.e). Even if Tottenham was in mid-season form, the AST would beat them every time considering these guys had one practice together.

With Dempsey, Villa, Kaka, and Zardes it was by farrrrr the best quality ball I have seen the MLS produce. Just the IQ alone from these players showed the difference than regular season play with the intricate passing in tight spaces, I felt it was embarrassing to the shite the audacity some of the players had. Dempsey did a rabonna through ball to Villa in midfield, Kaka was toying with Bentaleb with his foot work, Zardes & BEASLEY were having a go at Kyle Walker to the point where he wasn't being friendly anymore.

And this was absent Gio, Bradley, Martins, Pirlo ect....

My only thoughts from this game was never pick a club like Tottenham again, because now the league has the quality to challenge some of the top European clubs, and it doesn't make any sense to bring a shit club like Tottenham, who aren't even champions league calibre.

Like others have said I have zero issues with the idea of an MLS VS Top Foreign team, as a football fan I want to watch a good game and in football friendlies can still be quite entertaining, who wouldn't want to watch some of legends of the game have fun against a top team.

In general I think an EPL, La Liga, Seria A, Bundesliga all-star game would be a major success. People want to watch the top players, of course in EU they have the champions league, but trust me there is an appetite for a showcase game everywhere.

OgtheDim
07-31-2015, 01:54 PM
Personally, I think an East vs. West at BMO next season would be a success. There are maybe 5 markets that would get such an event and go in numbers- Vancouver, Seattle, Portland, Toronto & Orlando. Build out from those.

Detroit_TFC
07-31-2015, 02:40 PM
Next year's ASG game is set for San Jose at Avaya Stadium. I do want to check that place out, certainly is convenient to the airport (literally next to it).