PDA

View Full Version : Today’s News, Friday , July.25

denime
07-25-2008, 06:12 AM
Nash 'pretty amazing' on a pitch
PETER MALLETT
TORONTO -- Steve Nash, the two-time NBA most valuable player, not only dazzled members of the news media with his soccer skills in a game against the media yesterday morning, he also confirmed his intention to bring a Major League Soccer franchise to Vancouver.
The Vancouver Whitecaps have scheduled a news conference for this morning in Vancouver. A news release said the team "will be making a major announcement about the future of soccer in Vancouver and British Columbia."
"I'm just excited that I am part of a partnership group to bring MLS soccer to Vancouver," Nash said after the MLS All-Star Media Cup at BMO Field. "I think it is an outstanding soccer area and has a great tradition dating back to the Whitecaps of the [North American Soccer League] and all of the support that they drew.

Read more (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20080725.SOCCERNASH25/TPStory/Sports)

Garber: McBride saga 'resolved'

During halftime of Thursday's MLS All-Star game, MLS commissioner Don Garber said that there would be an announcement regarding Brian McBride on Friday.

"It got resolved today," said Garber when asked about trade talks involving the Fire and Toronto FC. "We'll announce something tomorrow. Brian McBride will be in our league.
"It's taken us awhile to come up with a resolution that's fair. But that resolution is complete."
The Fire has been unable to sign McBride because Toronto owned the highest allocation ranking, giving it first dibs on any U.S. national team player returning to MLS. The two teams have been involved in ongoing trade talks since May but had been unable to come to an agreement.

Read more (http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/soccer_redcard/2008/07/garber-mcbride.html)

Fan protest puts damper on MLS showcase

Cathal Kelly (http://www.thestar.com/opinion/columnists/94561)

Five years ago, after their team had dropped a few games in a row, fans of Croatian side Hajduk Split snuck into the home ground one night. When the players showed up for practice the next morning, they found eleven graves dug in the middle of the pitch.
Milan supporters once protested a more rigourous frisking at the gate by smuggling a scooter into the San Siro, lighting it on fire and chucking it off a balcony.
Then there are the semi-regular locker room invasions, public beratings and the odd coordinated attack that fans in Italy, Spain and South America inflict on their beloved home sides.
Being Canadians, we prefer our protests more by way of Gandhi than Che. The local wrinkle being that we also try to bore you into submission.
The Toronto FC firms promised to disrupt last night's MLS all-star game by refusing to engage in it. They hoped to embarrass Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment on the phantom issue of expanding BMO Field to accommodate CFL games.

For the team's owners, it was a glimpse of what Leaf games would sound like if they were played outdoors. If the fans proved anything, it's that they are the best reason to attend a Toronto FC game.Read more (http://www.thestar.com/Sports/Soccer/article/467136)

Scarborough's De Rosario fires home winner
Hometown hero scores on penalty as record BMO crowd watches Blanco upstage Becks

MORGAN CAMPBELL
Malvern's Dwayne De Rosario played hometown hero with his winning penalty kick, but the all-star who shone brightest in the MLS squad's 3-2 win over West Ham was the big-name veteran who joined the league midway through last season.
You know the guy.
He's supposedly past his prime but still deadly on dead balls; a legend in his native land; a player so famous that when his MLS team announced they were signing him last year 5,000 fans showed up at the news conference.
Of course, you know him. He made his MLS all-star debut last night.
Cuauhtemoc Blanco.
What, did you think it was someone else?

Read more (http://www.thestar.com/Sports/Soccer/article/467138)

Canadian content hits the spot
LARRY MILLSON

TORONTO — Canadians Dwayne De Rosario and Pat Onstad hardly had enough energy left to whimper "Let's play two" last night after helping the Major League Soccer all-stars defeat West Ham United of the English Premier League 3-2.
They were playing in their second game in the same day after each played the full 90 minutes for the Houston Dynamo in a 2-0 victory over D.C. United in an MLS game at RFK Stadium, which was delayed because of severe weather and did not end until early yesterday.
It turned out to be a particularly sweet homecoming for De Rosario, a native of Toronto, because he scored the winning goal in the 69th minute on a penalty kick before a record BMO Field crowd of 20,844.
And Onstad, a native of Vancouver, who took over in goal for the final 20 minutes, made a late-game save to ensure that MLS would win its fourth consecutive all-star game against European competition.

Read more (http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080724.wsptmls24/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer/home)

De Rosario lifts MLS all-stars over West Ham

By John F. Molinaro

On a night when all the focus was on David Beckham, it was Canadian Dwayne De Rosario who stole the show at Major League Soccer's all-star game.
The Houston Dynamo midfielder emerged as the hometown hero after he scored the winning goal in the 69th minute to lift the MLS all-star team to a 3-2 win over English Premier League club West Ham United Thursday night in Toronto.
With the game tied 2-2, De Rosario, from Scarborough, Ont., was tackled from behind after bursting into the West Ham box and then converted from the penalty spot by slamming a powerful shot off the underside of the crossbar and into the back of the net.
"Man, what a great feeling. I couldn't ask for anything more," De Rosario said. "Scoring in my hometown in a game of this importance, it's a dream come true for me."

Read more (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2008/07/24/mls-allstars-westham.html)

Kid has a lot of Gall

By DEAN MCNULTY (dean.mcnulty@sunmedia.ca)

The offensively challenged Toronto FC had a young striker with English Premiership experience within its grasp earlier this season but couldn't get his name on a contract because of Major League Soccer's policy of owning all league players.
Kevin Gall, a 26-year-old forward, even came to Toronto to train with TFC in March and was excited about joining up with his former Newcastle United coach, John Carver.
Gall, now back in England, told the BBC yesterday that he was impressed with the TFC program at BMO Field and didn't have any problems with playing on an artificial surface.
"It was a great place and I enjoyed my time there," Hall said. " I knew the coach (Carver) from my time at Newcastle and they have signed Laurent Robert, who would have been great to play with."

Read more (http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/OtherSports/2008/07/25/6259896-sun.html)

Canada steals the show

Fans appeased by play of De Rosario, Brennan following anthem snubBy DEAN MCNULTY (dean.mcnulty@sunmedia.ca), SUN MEDIA

If Major League Soccer was looking for a home-pitch advantage against English Premiership side West Ham United in last night's all-star match at BMO Field, it started off on the wrong note.
And in spite of the 3-2 result over the Hammers, it took until the 59th minute and the arrival of Toronto FC captain Jim Brennan to lift the fans from their seats.
Not even the play of all-world midfielder David Beckham in the first half could draw cheers from the record 20,844 fans at the Lake Shore Blvd. stadium.
What started the fans' disenchantment was a decsion to play both the English and American national anthems in the opening ceremony for the ESPN-TV feed being broadcast back to the U.S.
It wasn't until after the TV opening was complete that the Canadian flag appeared and a Canadian Armed Forces honour guard was brought to sing O Canada.

Read more (http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/OtherSports/2008/07/25/6259901-sun.html)

MLS keeps perfect record intact
THE CANADIAN PRESS

TORONTO -- When a weary Dwayne De Rosario finally arrived in Toronto on Thursday, he didn't know if he could even play, let alone contribute.

But in a game that was touted as David Beckham's long-awaited debut in Toronto, it was the city's own De Rosario that wound up the hero of the 2008 Major League Soccer all-star game.

The Canadian's penalty kick in the 69th minute gave the MLS All-Stars a 3-2 victory over English Premiership squad West Ham United at BMO Field, in the annual soccer spectacle's first foray into Canada.

"It's a great feeling, especially being in my hometown," De Rosario said. "Can't ask for any more. Fans were great, atmosphere was great. Scoring in my hometown is a dream come true for me playing a game of this importance."

Read more (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2008/07/24/mls_all_star_game/)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/SUNshineGirl/home.html)
:hump:

KrazyKanadian
07-25-2008, 06:22 AM
"I understand what they're getting at ... and I'm with them on it," Brennan, the man best placed to judge at pitch level, said about the protest. "I noticed it. I was always looking over to see what they were up to ... but with our fans, they can't sit quiet for too long, can they? They have to start cheering about something."

That's because by then everyone was drunk.

denime
07-25-2008, 06:22 AM
Stars gush over All-Star experience

Best in MLS rave about festivities in Toronto

TORONTO -- The best players in MLS descended on Toronto for the MLS All-Star Game. And after it was over, they gushed about the experience as if they were a developmental player on the very tail end of the roster. For some, like Jim Brennan and Dwayne De Rosario, it was a chance to play in Canada and play in front of fans who wanted to see them do well.
"It's definitely a dream come true, scoring in a game of this magnitude," De Rosario said. "This game is huge. People don't realize how big this is because this is an opportunity to showcase our talent throughout the world and show them how good this league is."
The crowd chanted Brennan's name until he arrived on the field. He said it was just an expression of how much Toronto wanted to host this game and wanted the league to do well.
"I think for this game with all the buildup there was a buzz around the city," Brennan said. "Everyone wanted to come out and watch this game because we have the best players in the league playing against a Premiership side."

Read more and watch videos (http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20080725&content_id=175605&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp)

CoachGT
07-25-2008, 06:42 AM
Lots of talk this morning on "the Fan 590" about the booing of the US anthem. Agreed, it was not a class act, but nobody mentioned that O Canada was sung overtop of the music, nor that it was sung again moments later, not that there was a 5 minute puase between the English and US before they brought the Canadian flag out, and that the singing with the "official" anthem was probably the loudest I'd ever heard from my seats. No notice of the US sponsorship, only US ads in the programs we get week in and week out (with English and Spanish articles), no mention of only US ads on the sideboards, no mention that the tickets were sponsored by Dick's Sports, a company that does not operate in Canada. The fan guys did acknowledge that the execution by MLS was poor in not announcing that the Canadian anthem would follow, and probably poor judgement in not bringing out the Canadian flag with the others. But they did annouce the McBride trade at 7:20.

Fort York Redcoat
07-25-2008, 07:15 AM
sports radio in this town are a bunch of flies always looking for what flies love best...and they're full of it.

This just in...Kelly wrote an article I agreed with. The last line misfired and was barely scathing.

Can't believe they raised the expansion price by 3x. What true putzes.

CoachGT
07-25-2008, 07:32 AM
BTW, the fan guys also talked about the Argos moving to BMO. They were bang on in their assessment: while Gerber may say no, and MLSE might have some pull with the city to help persuade a "no", if the money is there the Argos will move. However, there would have to be a lot of things happen, including a discussion over parking, concessions and everything else. And that fans probably don't want to be at an outdoor field in November cheering for playoff games when there is a perfectl good indoor facility available. They did rightly point out that the owners of the Argos wanted their own stadium and were basically stalled, while MLSE got a "sweet deal" from the city.

Nodoubtguy
07-25-2008, 07:56 AM
From Gerry Dobson's article on Sportsnet.ca
"And finally, Chad Barrett to Toronto to complete the Brian McBride deal. And there will be more. The other shoe is about to drop. Stay tuned."

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/blogs/2008/07/25/dobson_mls_anthem/

ensco
07-25-2008, 08:16 AM
That story about Gall is very interesting. Not sure why it's so different over there, though, as players get loaned all the time.

JonO
07-25-2008, 08:24 AM
Dean McNulty wrote:
West Ham striker Dean Ashton scored both his team's goals from inside the penalty area with MLS forward Cuauhtemoc Blanco scoring the other two MLS goals
Ummm... Gomez scored the first goal. Do these guys watch the game?

Steve
07-25-2008, 08:35 AM
Most interesting news for me today:

"For me, this is a dream come true, growing up in Scarborough not too far from here, always wanting to play in your hometown, your home stadium, especially a game of this magnitude" - DeRo

I know that it might not amount to much, since he doesn't play for us, but it's interesting that DeRo would refer to BMO field (which he has played at once for the CMNT) as his home stadium.

keem-o-sabi
07-25-2008, 08:37 AM
I guess the Gall kid never planned on being sold to another club, getting traded is basically the same thing. That was an interesting excuse, at least he didn't mind the turf!

Wooster_TFC
07-25-2008, 08:53 AM
I guess the Gall kid never planned on being sold to another club, getting traded is basically the same thing. That was an interesting excuse, at least he didn't mind the turf!

The thing is, in Europe when you get sold, you get to re-negotiate your contract with the new club. That means you can also refuse to negotiate the contract, and there's nothing either club can do about it. Same thing goes for loans, you can outright reject a loan if you feel like it.

Northern Soul
07-25-2008, 10:37 AM
Aside from the fact that Cathal Kelly is an idiot, is anyone else annoyed that he called the supporters groups firms??

Sonny Cheeba
07-25-2008, 12:01 PM
Most interesting news for me today:

"For me, this is a dream come true, growing up in Scarborough not too far from here, always wanting to play in your hometown, your home stadium, especially a game of this magnitude" - DeRo

I know that it might not amount to much, since he doesn't play for us, but it's interesting that DeRo would refer to BMO field (which he has played at once for the CMNT) as his home stadium.

yeah analyzing what pro athletes say after a game like that isn't worth it.

sorry.

i would love him to play for TFC too.... we all would. but we'd have to do something amazing for the champion team to give him up.

Sonny Cheeba
07-25-2008, 12:03 PM
Aside from the fact that Cathal Kelly is an idiot, is anyone else annoyed that he called the supporters groups firms??

well then wouldn't it annoy you more that a supporters group calls themselves a firm? ultras has the same connotation in other parts of the world, but no one seems to care here.

sweetlemon69
07-25-2008, 12:23 PM
"I understand what they're getting at ... and I'm with them on it," Brennan, the man best placed to judge at pitch level, said about the protest. "I noticed it. I was always looking over to see what they were up to ... but with our fans, they can't sit quiet for too long, can they? They have to start cheering about something."

That's because by then everyone was drunk.

Lets not say dumb shit like this. It only fuels idiots like Cathal. Because they were drunk? I don't know about you, but I love my team enough that I can't contain myself. Drunk or sober.

nimamalek
07-25-2008, 12:35 PM
So Dero referred to BMO as his home stadium
Gerry says there is more to come with the Barrett deal
and Carver said something about one of the guys coming here being one of the guys who scored at the game

hmmmmm

denime
07-25-2008, 12:37 PM
So Dero referred to BMO as his home stadium
Gerry says there is more to come with the Barrett deal
and Carver said something about one of the guys coming here being one of the guys who scored at the game

hmmmmm

DO you have a prove for this ,maybe link or so?

nimamalek
07-25-2008, 12:44 PM
got it from this forum, which is a someone told me sort of thing
http://64.13.252.151/forums/showthread.php?t=3822

CoachGT
07-25-2008, 02:53 PM
DO you have a prove for this ,maybe link or so?

I seem to recall this being tossed around as a possible three way deal over McBride - Chicago gets McBride, Houston gets something from Chicago and Toronto gets DeRo.

Well, that rumour is now over, but the discussion in the comments on the Ives piece is interesting - perhaps there is something to the commissioner's office positively suggesting a DeRo move home, after Toronto is doing the same for McBride.......

Mark in Ottawa
07-25-2008, 03:44 PM
That story about Gall is very interesting. Not sure why it's so different over there, though, as players get loaned all the time.
Getting loaned to another team in England is one thing...
getting moved, perhaps permanently, over 2 or 3 time zones away is another story altogether.