PDA

View Full Version : Drogba to IMFC?

Eastend
07-26-2015, 04:32 PM
http://www.espnfc.com/major-league-soccer/story/2537129/montreal-acquire-didier-drogbas-mls-rights-from-chicago

SmokedPanda
07-26-2015, 06:11 PM
I hope he's ready to pay federal and provincial taxes, that's 49% to the tax man if you earn over 100k a year in Quebec lol

TFC/Everton
07-26-2015, 07:25 PM
I hope he's ready to pay federal and provincial taxes, that's 49% to the tax man if you earn over 100k a year in Quebec lol

His contract will be split into 4 or 5 different contracts with the organization, allowing the majority of his income to be subject to business tax rates, which are much lower.

Standard procedure.

Wagner
07-26-2015, 08:26 PM
side note.
when i was in turkey in 2013.
there were a LOT of Drogba Galatassary shirts in instanbul.

I'm BJK for Life.

Wagner
07-26-2015, 08:28 PM
http://www.footballhub.tk/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/didier-drogba-7.jpg

James17930
07-27-2015, 03:11 AM
A few years too late, maybe?

Ivy
07-27-2015, 03:36 AM
Yeah I don't get why Impact fans are so head over heels about this... A 38 year old striker who's been out of contract for months...
he was a great player, and still is a good player, but I wouldn't want him on TFC.

JohnnyEnglish
07-27-2015, 03:56 AM
Good business for both clubs. From Chicago's point of view, you're bottom of the MLS. Drogba doesn't make you a competitive team this season, especially with the holes in their squad, much better off to take the allocation funds (assuming they can invest in a decent defender perhaps) and look at the long term.

Makes a lot of sense for Montreal. Drogba is a decent athlete, even at 37, you'll get your games out of him on an 18 month contract. He should return you 20 goals in all competitions in that time frame comfortably, for $3m a year. Add his experience into the mix, which will prove valuable should they end up in the CONCACAF and to aid in the development of the squad and it's a no brainier.

Fort York Redcoat
07-27-2015, 07:47 AM
Yeah I don't get why Impact fans are so head over heels about this... A 38 year old striker who's been out of contract for months...
he was a great player, and still is a good player, but I wouldn't want him on TFC.

I'd expect this from an Orlando - A brand new team that needs marquee players to get as many bums in seats but apparently Montreal needs it, too.

Good business for both clubs. From Chicago's point of view, you're bottom of the MLS. Drogba doesn't make you a competitive team this season, especially with the holes in their squad, much better off to take the allocation funds (assuming they can invest in a decent defender perhaps) and look at the long term.

Makes a lot of sense for Montreal. Drogba is a decent athlete, even at 37, you'll get your games out of him on an 18 month contract. He should return you 20 goals in all competitions in that time frame comfortably, for $3m a year. Add his experience into the mix, which will prove valuable should they end up in the CONCACAF and to aid in the development of the squad and it's a no brainier.

Nowhere in there do you mention that he can speak french (of a sort) there. Not a huge deal but I'm sure it will be a nice touch.

So this will probably move Oduro to the wing again or...

Poor Oduro.

OgtheDim
07-27-2015, 03:04 PM
Montreal has a big 4 game home stand coming up in August. Good timing for ticket sales if nothing else. I don't know, he wasn't a 90 minute guy at Chelsea. He's no DiVaio.

Richard
07-27-2015, 03:18 PM
This guy is still a potent striker, as long as they provide service Drogba could do really well in MLS.

Oldtimer
07-27-2015, 03:52 PM
At $18 per kilo, how many kilos of Mozzarella would the Saputos need to sell in order to pay his salary? I guess we'll need to know the salary to compute that. :)

jazzy
07-27-2015, 04:15 PM
he'll not last the season , unless they really use him no more than 15 mins per game . But I can't see how they'll manage that with their fans and his cost. One things for sure he'll be out before our game in Oct , with our history of no shows . It's unfortunate because he would kill in this league with his strength and skill . I'll hope to see him in Montreal though Oct 25 . and why not Oduro on the wing....just feeding him , as long as Drogba can catch Oduro .

Defoe
07-27-2015, 06:20 PM
he'll not last the season , unless they really use him no more than 15 mins per game . But I can't see how they'll manage that with their fans and his cost. One things for sure he'll be out before our game in Oct , with our history of no shows . It's unfortunate because he would kill in this league with his strength and skill . I'll hope to see him in Montreal though Oct 25 . and why not Oduro on the wing....just feeding him , as long as Drogba can catch Oduro .

Nice signing for them. Brand name for sure but still has quality left in him. Piatti and Drogba and Ciman is a nice big 3. Is that what we're calling it now ha

Eastend
07-27-2015, 07:07 PM

Montreal is here August 29th.

jazzy
07-27-2015, 10:09 PM
I must be hurting for smoked meat

Joe Kool
07-28-2015, 01:16 AM
Does that mean i have to change my avatar after all these years? As long as he has Chelsea blue in it I think I am ok. :)

Brooker
07-28-2015, 05:36 AM
Does that mean i have to change my avatar after all these years?

Yes.

Eastend
07-28-2015, 07:14 PM
Does that mean i have to change my avatar after all these years? As long as he has Chelsea blue in it I think I am ok. :)

Yes.

Seconded....yes.

Soccerpro
07-28-2015, 08:38 PM
PR move by the impact. The deal will hurt them in year 2 of the contract.

jloome
07-28-2015, 10:32 PM

Not necessarily. Joey's probably paying him through his European subsidiary, established when he bought into Bologna. And his place of residence is probably Monaco. So it's entirely possible he's not paying any taxes at all.

__wowza
07-29-2015, 12:41 AM
Yes.

Seconded....yes.

i'm gonna differ from popular opinion and say.. fuck yes.

Joe Kool
07-29-2015, 01:39 AM
Haha...