PDA

View Full Version : Laurent Ciman

Ivy
07-15-2015, 03:17 PM
News is leaking out that Impact isn't paying for his autistic daughter's health care, which was promised to him, and the reason why he took a pay cut to play for mtl. Impact fans are upset, his wife is upset, and just a bad over all situation.

Whats up Saputo?

Jack
07-15-2015, 03:28 PM
Saputo cheese. Fuckin' sleeze.

TFC/Everton
07-15-2015, 03:30 PM
I feel bad for the family. Unreal.

mook-life
07-15-2015, 03:36 PM
that is just disgraceful.. but what did we really expect

evermorian
07-15-2015, 03:38 PM
Having worked with people who have autism for a couple years, this is deplorable if true. Are they that cash-starved that they have to renege on a deal that greatly affects not only their family, but that of their child? If this story proves to be true, I hope players who are considering going to Montreal are made aware of what kind of organization they are coming to, not that many others are that much better, but this just rings as inhumane. On a side note, any chance of Toronto gaining the services of Ciman?

Ivy
07-15-2015, 03:41 PM
https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&nv=1&rurl=translate.google.ca&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://m.7sur7.be/7s7/m/fr/1509/Football-Belge/article/detail/2394992/2015/07/15/Madame-Ciman-degoutee-par-l-Impact-Montreal-Ils-abandonnent-notre-petite-Nina.dhtml&usg=ALkJrhhKDs_gX5beGBmee0uXdz386xWcag

portu
07-15-2015, 03:42 PM
Disgusting by Saputo I hope he is vilified for this lie. However how in the hell did he not have this written into his contract

Ivy
07-15-2015, 03:45 PM
Disgusting by Saputo I hope he is vilified for this lie. However how in the hell did he not have this written into his contract
The article says it is... And even if it's not, why would you (as the owner of 2 clubs and millions of dollars) lie about something like that? I'm speechless.

portu
07-15-2015, 03:56 PM
The article says it is... And even if it's not, why would you (as the owner of 2 clubs and millions of dollars) lie about something like that? I'm speechless.

If its in the agreement than how in the hell is Saputo getting away with this its been months now

OgtheDim
07-15-2015, 04:00 PM
Saputo and the Imapct dropping the ball big time on this one PR wise.

2 days ago, Impact gets lots of great touchy feely vibes cause of Goal of the Week Candidate goes and gets a hug from his kid right after he scores.

48 hours later - Impact accused of acting worse then Scrooge.

cubr
07-15-2015, 04:09 PM
In case you needed another reason to dislike that team... That's one thing you can't bash MLSE for, is their charitable work. If it was any form of agreement between them, regardless of contract, it's just bad form and PR. Would be nice if the english media picked up on it.

MartinUtd
07-15-2015, 04:12 PM
Family optics aside, us swooping for Ciman would be such an MLSE move. Right after getting rid of Caldwell with a cloaked buyout we'd sign a replacement who's primary payment (health care) is also outside of the salary cap.

Make it happen, Bez!

jloome
07-15-2015, 04:17 PM
Family optics aside, us swooping for Ciman would be such an MLSE move. Right after getting rid of Caldwell with a cloaked buyout we'd sign a replacement who's primary payment (health care) is also outside of the salary cap.

Make it happen, Bez!

They should do it for both professional and humanitarian reasons. He's a boss defender, and MLSE isn't going to give a shit about $3500 a week.

Ivy
07-15-2015, 04:22 PM
Even if it is within the cap - what's 50k a year to keep your star CB happy? The only reason MTl is where they are and how far they got in CONCACAF is because of that guy.

And I don't care that mtl is our rival or us scooping up Ciman, I just wish all the best to him and his family.

What would make me happy, is seeing a news article that says "MLSE and TFC donate 50k to the Ciman family after Impact fail to keep their promise"

edit: just noticed that that its 3-4000 a week. 200K a year.

ensco
07-15-2015, 04:25 PM
I think it's best to reserve judgment for a bit here. This is a contractual matter. Let the facts come out.

This could be illuminating in terms of what teams are doing to end run the cap.

Ivy
07-15-2015, 04:31 PM
I think it's best to reserve judgment for a bit here. This is a contractual matter. Let the facts come out.
Judgement reserved; however,
Its well known that he went there for his daughter. He said so himself in the days after he signed. He also took a pay cut because he was promised world class health care by the club.
Cant see the biggest player for the club (Piatti can suck it) or his wife lashing on if there was no grounds for it.

Is he the captain there?

PS: People are sayin Soumare is asking to be traded too. CB trouble there.

Richard
07-15-2015, 04:37 PM
Let the facts come out first.

For all we know this could be MLS saying Montreal is circumventing the cap by providing benefits outside of his contract.

As disgusting it seems, his kid getting healthcare is setting a precedent that MLS might not want, bonuses outside of contracts is a slippery slope, especially for the bigger clubs in the league.

They should do it for both professional and humanitarian reasons. He's a boss defender, and MLSE isn't going to give a shit about $3500 a week.

That's significant when it comes to a capped league, MLS might want Montreal to have that factored in.

Ivy
07-15-2015, 04:42 PM
Let the facts come out first.

For all we know this could be MLS saying Montreal is circumventing the cap by providing benefits outside of his contract.

As disgusting it seems, his kid getting healthcare is setting a precedent that MLS might not want, bonuses outside of contracts is a slippery slope, especially for the bigger clubs in the league.

That's significant when it comes to a capped league, MLS might want Montreal to have that factored in.
If that's the case, than MTL FO is even more stupid. Would you not check something like that with the league before promising it?

OgtheDim
07-15-2015, 04:43 PM
In a league with a lot of under the water iceberg sized crap going on, the idea of MLS giving two pieces of doggie doo about money paid to give a kid a chance just bugs the doggie doo out of me.

Ivy
07-15-2015, 04:45 PM
I'll copy and paste this here, cuz I think it says a lot (if it's cap related).

@djipitoo: @Kam_Ivan Cap implications would mean empty promises or plain imcompetance. Either way, it's bad and familly made big sacrifices to be here.

Richard
07-15-2015, 04:45 PM
If that's the case, than MTL FO is even more stupid. Would you not check something like that with the league before promising it?

I'm not sure why MLS would approve his contract to begin with, they would have said they need that healthcare cost added to the cap hit. I don't know, a lot things with MLS is a mystery, I'm not so sure Saputo is that much of an idiot to not see how this looks bad.

Ivy
07-15-2015, 04:50 PM
I'm not sure why MLS would approve his contract to begin with, they would have said they need that healthcare cost added to the cap hit. I don't know, a lot things with MLS is a mystery, I'm not so sure Saputo is that much of an idiot to not see how this looks bad.
1. I have a feeling Saputo was unaware of this until today.
2. I don't think MLS is blocking it either - as Dim said, this league makes up rules every other day, they wouldn't block a child's healthcare

OgtheDim
07-15-2015, 06:13 PM
I wonder what Garber would say if somebody brought in Ciman and then said they were using their TMA to pay for that kids care?

brad
07-15-2015, 07:14 PM
Not in the contract.

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/soccer/mls/montreal-impact/impact-soccer-star-ciman-and-his-wife-speak-out-against-club

Richard Legendre, the Impact’s executive VP, told the Montreal Gazette that there was never a written agreement to provide public health care for the Ciman family.
He said the club offered to “do our best to help them, to support them to find the necessary resources within the education and health systems.
“It wasn’t as if it was a very precise deal, it was an expression of (support),” said Legendre.

ag futbol
07-15-2015, 07:49 PM
Need a fuller picture here. When he came over, he was very up front about why he made the move. Because these things are so damn private it's hard to know if this is broken telephone or someone going back on their word.

As someone mentioned above, it might be that MLS doesn't allow for these soft benefits (as they circumvent the cap). Regardless, this is a ready made PR distaster and I'd suggest they find a way to solve this amicably.

AdamAM
07-15-2015, 10:44 PM
There is a lot I'm starting to not like about this league... the shady backroom dealings to mess with the rules, the way referees and the Disciplinary Committee are treating TFC, the shitshow that is watching a game being played on the field at Yankee Stadium that's about as wide as a pinball machine... but this is just next level ridiculous. I would be infuriated if I was Ciman.

flamehawk
07-16-2015, 12:21 AM
I work as a mental health social worker. Public coverage for people with developmental issues is really really bad in Ontario. It takes a year on a waitlist just to get approved for Developmental Services Ontario funding ... and I have had two of my clients with dual diagnoses rejected. They would have to go private.

And regarding the comment about Sick Kids, it's not hospital care that is needed, it's schooling, counselling (both family and individual), and psws that are needed - all of which are exorbitant. It's really atrocious, especially if you're stuck in the gap between the developmental and mental health fields as many of the individuals I work with are.

C.Ronaldo
07-16-2015, 09:07 AM
MLS is really missing the mark here

great chance to set up a fund for players that have chldren with special needs. A fund that can be supported by the MLS, the teams, and the supporters.

ensco
07-16-2015, 09:28 AM
Either Montreal committed to pay Ciman $200K/year for this, or they didn't. Either it counts against the cap, or it doesn't. The autism part is kind of irrelevant - it would be the same issue if they promised him a Ferrari. Except nobody would feel sorry for Ciman then.

This may in the end look just like Dero's 2009 "handshake" from Mo on becoming a DP. I felt no sympathy for Dero, he was from here, knew the league....

My instinct, based on what little we know know, is to blame all of (i) the player, (ii) the player's agent, (iii) Montreal for being weasels, and (iv) importantly, the league, equally. The league has a moral obligation to protect players who don't get the full picture for cultural/language reasons, and move their families based on misunderstandings or handshakes. It's also very bad for the brand.

I still don't get how Ciman moved his family on a handshake. We really need to reserve final judgment until we understand that piece better. If the league didn't know about a meaningful agreement to provide benefits on the side, it's a clear cap violation, and Montreal should lose real allocation dollars and Saputo should be fined a massive amount of money, at least $1M.

T-boy
07-16-2015, 09:30 AM
I feel bad for the player and his family, but no team should be paying out-of-MLS-contract money for anything - health care or other "non contract benefits" to any player. It just makes a mockery of the salary cap if clubs can pay other expenses to lower their MLS salary.

Beach_Red
07-16-2015, 10:00 AM
I still don't get how Ciman moved his family on a handshake. We really need to reserve final judgment until we understand that piece better. If the league didn't know about a meaningful agreement to provide benefits on the side, it's a clear cap violation, and Montreal should lose real allocation dollars and Saputo should be fined a massive amount of money, at least $1M.

Given how many ways teams find around cap issues it isn't completely surprising that the player and the agent - who really know nothing about the intricacies of the cap or the league - accepted the handshake deal. Don't side deals go on in every industry with big contracts and weird rules?

Initial B
07-16-2015, 10:01 AM
I work as a mental health social worker. Public coverage for people with developmental issues is really really bad in Ontario. It takes a year on a waitlist just to get approved for Developmental Services Ontario funding ... and I have had two of my clients with dual diagnoses rejected. They would have to go private.

And regarding the comment about Sick Kids, it's not hospital care that is needed, it's schooling, counselling (both family and individual), and psws that are needed - all of which are exorbitant. It's really atrocious, especially if you're stuck in the gap between the developmental and mental health fields as many of the individuals I work with are.
One of my kids was put on that waiting list 11 years ago and even then we were told it would be at least a 6 month wait in Ottawa. We were extremely fortunate that the Province threw money at the backlog to make it go away and we were able to join an Intensive Behavioral Intervention (IBI) therapy program on a part-time basis. Combined with part-time preschool to learn social interaction, the improvement was like night and day between the start and finish of the program. There is no way we could afford to do it on our family's salary, so I could understand why Ciman would jump at the chance to get in the program, especially as the clock is ticking on any child with ASD - the earlier the treatment, the better the chance of a good result.

ensco
07-16-2015, 11:24 AM
Given how many ways teams find around cap issues it isn't completely surprising that the player and the agent - who really know nothing about the intricacies of the cap or the league - accepted the handshake deal. Don't side deals go on in every industry with big contracts and weird rules?

Is a deal for an amount that is close to 10% of the cap a side deal?

C.Ronaldo
07-16-2015, 12:54 PM

add to the fact that its your kids....I would swim across the lake, no questions asked, if you told me it would help out me kid

Cashcleaner
07-16-2015, 01:47 PM
Regardless of the details, this news certainly makes Saputo and the Impact organization look pretty fucking awful. And perhaps that's the most important point to consider - the perception by the fans and other players in the league. Especially when you see how his move to Montreal and the struggles of his family was covered by the league:

Family First: Montreal Impact's Laurent Ciman uproots life to give autistic daughter the care she needs (http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2015/06/24/family-first-montreal-impacts-laurent-ciman-uproots-life-daughter)

SenorDingDong
07-16-2015, 02:39 PM
Send the MLSE private jet over!

http://46wvda23y0nl13db2j3bl1yxxln.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/MLSE-Private-Jet.jpeg

habstfc
07-16-2015, 03:23 PM
One of my kids was put on that waiting list 11 years ago and even then we were told it would be at least a 6 month wait in Ottawa. We were extremely fortunate that the Province threw money at the backlog to make it go away and we were able to join an Intensive Behavioral Intervention (IBI) therapy program on a part-time basis. Combined with part-time preschool to learn social interaction, the improvement was like night and day between the start and finish of the program. There is no way we could afford to do it on our family's salary, so I could understand why Ciman would jump at the chance to get in the program, especially as the clock is ticking on any child with ASD - the earlier the treatment, the better the chance of a good result.

We have an 11 year old son who was diagnosed with autism when he was 3. Our son was also was put on a waiting list for a couple of months to receive IBI. Our son went through the same with part time therapy coupled with regular school when he turned 5. It's a very devastating disorder for any family to deal with. That's why I have a great amount of sympathy for the Ciman family, however they must take some responsibility themselves. Ciman could have had that put in to his contract, isn't that what agents are for? I'm not willing to crucify Saputo or the Impact for that reason alone.

I don't know where they get this 3500 dollars a week figure for therapy from either. We were told when our son was waiting for IBI and other therapies that we could pay for it ourselves but if I remember correctly it was about 700 dollars a week for a person trained in IBI to come to our home to give IBI therapy. They charge about 20 -25 bucks an hour and it's typically a 30 - 35 hour week. The only way I could see it being anywhere near 3500 a week is if it's for a live in care giver trained in IBI and even then that doesn't really add up.

Does MLS or their teams provide health care for player's and their families? I know especially in the US healthcare can be outrageously high.

Ultra & Proud
07-16-2015, 03:47 PM
Does MLS or their teams provide health care for player's and their families? I know especially in the US healthcare can be outrageously high.
I would have to think that MLSE employees including players should be part of their health and dental coverage package. That would probably pay for this.

Question is are TFC players considered MLSE employees or are they MLS employees basically being rented by TFC/MLSE?

If it's the latter then I can see no health coverage because the cheapos who call the shots on money in this league want to nickel and dime everything.

MartinUtd
07-16-2015, 04:11 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the reason it's not in the contract is precisely because the L'impact were trying to pull a fast one on the salary cap. Then sometime down the line there's a disagreement about how much the club was on the hook for "helping out" considering the facility Ciman quoted is charging 4-5x what habstfc's family paid.

Auzzy
07-16-2015, 04:16 PM
I don't know where they get this 3500 dollars a week figure for therapy from either.

It's not just IBI therapy for Ciman's daughter. It's a specialized private school that's supposed to be among the best in the world in both treating & educating severely autistic kids. That's why he came to Montreal specifically.

flamehawk
07-16-2015, 05:20 PM

I am so sorry you had to go through that.

Most of my work is around mental health, which in itself is a horrible system, but I was appalled when I had to venture into the Developmental sector for clients with both mental health concerns and developmental issues. It was complex and frustrating for me as a social worker, let alone for family. It often takes months just to get the initial screening done by a psychologist before you get put on to a one year wait list just for another assessment to be done to determine eligibility in funding.

And then there is the issue of individuals that have fallen through the gap. I have clients that never received the support growing up, other than the determination and persistence from family, but now that the family learned of the potential for funding, the client is found ineligible as they are over 18 because psychologists cannot diagnose developmental issues with certainty. Then, these individuals are passed on to a mental health system that is ill prepared for behavioural challenges. I see these clients shuffled from shelter to shelter, program to program.

WestStandGeoff
07-16-2015, 05:39 PM
Is a deal for an amount that is close to 10% of the cap a side deal?

If it is, then what do you call Gerrard getting a $20,000 per week home leased for him as part of his deal with LAG? That works out to just under 30% of the cap...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3019969/Steven-Gerrard-wife-Alex-set-live-16-8m-Malibu-home-outgoing-Liverpool-captain-prepares-life-LA-Galaxy.html (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3019969/Steven-Gerrard-wife-Alex-set-live-16-8m-Malibu-home-outgoing-Liverpool-captain-prepares-life-LA-Galaxy.html)

Richard
07-16-2015, 05:45 PM
^^^^

The league is a joke, I'm sure MLS is in some way breaking laws with how they're running their competition except MLS is small time so no one cares to investigate.

ensco
07-16-2015, 05:55 PM
If it is, then what do you call Gerrard getting a $20,000 per week home leased for him as part of his deal with LAG? That works out to just under 30% of the cap...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3019969/Steven-Gerrard-wife-Alex-set-live-16-8m-Malibu-home-outgoing-Liverpool-captain-prepares-life-LA-Galaxy.html (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3019969/Steven-Gerrard-wife-Alex-set-live-16-8m-Malibu-home-outgoing-Liverpool-captain-prepares-life-LA-Galaxy.html)

I watch less MLS than I used to 5 years ago, for a lot of obvious reasons. This stuff ranks high on that list.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-16-2015, 06:06 PM
I am so sorry you had to go through that.

Most of my work is around mental health, which in itself is a horrible system, but I was appalled when I had to venture into the Developmental sector for clients with both mental health concerns and developmental issues. It was complex and frustrating for me as a social worker, let alone for family. It often takes months just to get the initial screening done by a psychologist before you get put on to a one year wait list just for another assessment to be done to determine eligibility in funding.

And then there is the issue of individuals that have fallen through the gap. I have clients that never received the support growing up, other than the determination and persistence from family, but now that the family learned of the potential for funding, the client is found ineligible as they are over 18 because psychologists cannot diagnose developmental issues with certainty. Then, these individuals are passed on to a mental health system that is ill prepared for behavioural challenges. I see these clients shuffled from shelter to shelter, program to program.

Im a CYC at a hospital and often they are brought into us for respite, unfortunately very few people, outside of myself and a few others (often from agencies) are trained to be able to work with them. My heart breaks for the kids and the families of their kids as this is a vicious circle that isnt being dealt with. Stay up parents, hope at some point you and your children can get the help you need.

brad
07-16-2015, 06:12 PM

I watch less MLS than I used to 5 years ago, for a lot of obvious reasons. This stuff ranks high on that list.

Gerrard is a DP so it's a bit different as they are already free to pay him as much as they want over and above the cap hit. Defoe had similar perks here - free flights to and from England for him and his family for instance.

For non-DPs though it's a different situation.

WestStandGeoff
07-16-2015, 06:53 PM
Gerrard is a DP so it's a bit different as they are already free to pay him as much as they want over and above the cap hit. Defoe had similar perks here - free flights to and from England for him and his family for instance.

Fair point about the DP salary, but then at least include it when they report salary numbers then...

PAOK17
07-16-2015, 07:11 PM
I read the article (in French based on my basic abilities) and understood most of it minus some details. I don't usually trust google translate but maybe someone can explain a detail for me. Was he promised private care or access to Quebec public care? I felt they were referencing public care but I was not sure. By the sounds of it, he's taking his daughter to private care based on the understanding that he was promised that. But it sounds like the Impact's claim is that they would direct him to whatever the resources are in the province.

One thing I have realized about Quebec is that it's a two tiered system in terms of health care. If you think Ontario is bad, come move to Quebec and you'll be begging for OHIP.

Due to the public system being so inefficient, the government of Quebec was sued because someone didn't have and alternative options to waiting for years to get served for surgery (I believe the case was a hip surgery). So instead of the government fixing the public system, they instead opened the system so that doctors could open private or semi private practices. Every citizen can get free health care, if they're willing to go the long wait route (by going to a government run walk-in clinic or a hospital). If you're lucky enough to have a doctor, they may be at a semi-private clinic where you won't be charged for a visit, but you will be if you ever decide to do blood work, or any basic tests normally covered by public insurance. In which case you would then have to go to a hospital on a different day and get those done (months later depending on the tests. And I mean basic ones you could get done within a week in Ontario).

So based on this, I wonder if there is more to the story about if the team tried forcing him the public route- which I am certain would have been a long wait list. And since he cares about his daughter so much, the family opted for private care that costs an arm and a leg and now feel cheated about the costs.

I really hope he didn't come for Quebec's public health care system- it's the worst in the country. Or that he was sold on a great system by the team. I am just speculating of course.

habstfc
07-17-2015, 02:00 AM
It's not just IBI therapy for Ciman's daughter. It's a specialized private school that's supposed to be among the best in the world in both treating & educating severely autistic kids. That's why he came to Montreal specifically.

That makes more sense. I actually thought of that after posting that it must be some private school specializing in autism. That's a huge amount of money to pay. My question though is at what point has this become an issue, Ciman's been here since February so who's been paying since his daughter started at this school?

ensco
07-17-2015, 06:07 AM

Brain cramp on my part. Thanks.

I still remember Nesta supposedly making $125K or whatever. There is a problem, and Montreal is in the middle of it.

Areathrasher
07-17-2015, 08:12 AM
Wasn't the rumor Saputo bought Nesta a house in Miami?

Richard
07-17-2015, 10:41 AM
According to the latest salary postings by the union Ciman is due 401K this year.

I'm not saying what is happening is right, but I don't have the same amount of sympathy for someone who is in the 2% bracket of wages earned.

portu
07-17-2015, 11:03 AM
According to the latest salary postings by the union Ciman is due 401K this year.

I'm not saying what is happening is right, but I don't have the same amount of sympathy for someone who is in the 2% bracket of wages earned.
No one is any more or less human than anyone else, he makes what he makes because he deserves it. in fact he could probably make more in Europe. He is sacrificing income to be in Canada

Richard
07-17-2015, 11:15 AM
No one is any more or less human than anyone else, he makes what he makes because he deserves it. in fact he could probably make more in Europe. He is sacrificing income to be in Canada

Just to clarify I sympathize with his situation and I can imagine its not easy for him and his family regardless how much he makes, and only that he is very fortunate and has the means to pay for it out of his own pocket.

flamehawk
07-17-2015, 01:05 PM

As someone else commented, while Ciman's circumstances are significantly less challenging than some of the families I work with (in terms of services they can access), I can still empathize at how challenging it is to support a child with developmental issues. Perhaps the issue wasn't money. I wonder if Saputo promised that he had contacts to get Ciman's kid into that school and bypass waitlist, but did not follow through?

OfficeGuy
07-17-2015, 01:51 PM
Judgement reserved; however,
Its well known that he went there for his daughter. He said so himself in the days after he signed. He also took a pay cut because he was promised world class health care by the club.
Cant see the biggest player for the club (Piatti can suck it) or his wife lashing on if there was no grounds for it.

Is he the captain there?

PS: People are sayin Soumare is asking to be traded too. CB trouble there.

Soumare already traded --- For Kyle Bekker from Dallas

ensco
07-17-2015, 02:37 PM
Soumare already traded --- For Kyle Bekker from Dallas

Good move by Montreal to get rid of that contract. Bekker will probably be there about as long as Rey was with Columbus last year.

jloome
07-17-2015, 03:01 PM
Good move by Montreal to get rid of that contract. Bekker will probably be there about as long as Rey was with Columbus last year.

Soumare isn't highly touted to start in Dallas, despite starting 19 of 24 in Montreal, then asking for more time, then saying players don't want to be there.

https://translate.google.ca/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fjournalmetro.com%2Fopinions%2Fle-sportnographe%2F810336%2Fzizanie-chez-l%27impact%2F&edit-text=&act=url

I bet you're pretty close on this one; there's probably some typical sleazy contract clause in their deals that says they can be released if they don't cut some new services deal with their new team or something. Or that the team can buy out a deal without a cap hit if it's with 30 days of a trade, or some other MLS bullshit.

OgtheDim
07-17-2015, 03:09 PM
According to the new CBA, Bekker's contract is guaranteed as he's 24, had a year of service and was on a roster at the beginning of the season.

Bekker's guaranteed salary is only $87K and he's not exactly homesick wanting to go back to Spain like Rey was.

RealG-TFC
07-18-2015, 12:02 AM
Soumare isn't highly touted to start in Dallas, despite starting 19 of 24 in Montreal, then asking for more time, then saying players don't want to be there.

https://translate.google.ca/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fjournalmetro.com%2Fopinions%2Fle-sportnographe%2F810336%2Fzizanie-chez-l%27impact%2F&edit-text=&act=url

I bet you're pretty close on this one; there's probably some typical sleazy contract clause in their deals that says they can be released if they don't cut some new services deal with their new team or something. Or that the team can buy out a deal without a cap hit if it's with 30 days of a trade, or some other MLS bullshit.

I think he is essentially calling out Oyongo/Impact without naming names. He didn't say players don't want to be there in a general sense, he said the impact this year was forcing players that didn't want to be there to stay.

I could imagine he was not happy at the fact that Oyongo is now starting after refusing to report to camp earlier in the year.

Cashcleaner
07-18-2015, 07:14 PM
I think the league may have put some pressure on the Impact. Here's an article about the whole situation from mlssoccer.com (http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2015/07/17/montreal-impact-double-their-efforts-help-laurent-cimans-family-daughters-ca)

Montreal Impact to "double their efforts" to help Laurent Ciman's family with daughter's careMONTREAL – In the wake of public comments from Laurent Ciman (http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/laurent-ciman) and his wife regarding their pressing, emotional family situation (http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2015/06/24/family-first-montreal-impacts-laurent-ciman-uproots-life-daughter), the Montreal Impact have promised to "double [their] efforts" to help the Cimans get the best care for their autistic daughter.
The move comes after Ciman spoke to the media following Montreal’s 3-0 win over Columbus Crew SC (http://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2015-07-11-montreal-impact-vs-columbus-crew-sc/recap) last Saturday, reiterating that his five-year-old daughter, Nina, was the main reason he departed Belgian club Standard Liege (http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2015/01/27/belgian-international-laurent-ciman-eager-grow-montreal-impact-its-step-forw) to join the Impact in January.

SirBobSaget
07-19-2015, 01:00 AM
I think the league may have put some pressure on the Impact. Here's an article about the whole situation from mlssoccer.com (http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2015/07/17/montreal-impact-double-their-efforts-help-laurent-cimans-family-daughters-ca)

Doubling their efforts? 2 times 0 is still zero. Impact have themselves a heck of a shady management group.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-19-2015, 01:22 AM
Doubling their efforts? 2 times 0 is still zero. Impact have themselves a heck of a shady management group.

Hahahahaha this is literally the exact same words that went through my head too when I saw that

OfficeGuy
07-24-2015, 09:39 AM
FC frees up international slot with Bekker deal

Fort York Redcoat
07-27-2015, 07:38 AM
And Ciman with the winning header on Sat. That should keep in in the forefront of Montreal minds.

OgtheDim
07-27-2015, 07:48 AM
Not only that, but Ciman caused the free kick by a powerful run forward which caused them Seattle to foul him (homer Seattle commentators didn't think it was a foul but when you ikick a guy's shins as against the ball, it kinda is)

Respect for him.