PDA

View Full Version : Steven Caldwell Retires

KGH
07-14-2015, 08:35 AM
Can't say I didn't see this coming

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/07/14/toronto-fcs-steven-caldwell-announces-retirement

And from him directly:

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2015/07/steven-caldwell-announces-his-retirement

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2015/07/letter-steven-caldwell

Mateo1985
07-14-2015, 08:40 AM
It's for the better. He's done well for us despite all the injuries but it's time to let the other players come up.

Thanks Caldwell:flare:

Fort York Redcoat
07-14-2015, 08:40 AM
He gave us veteran leadership when we needed it. I'll thank him for that.

Soccerpro
07-14-2015, 08:44 AM
At least these guys seem to land on their feet by being given pretty sweet gigs with MLSE after retiring.

Fort York Redcoat
07-14-2015, 08:45 AM
At least these guys seem to land on their feet by being given pretty sweet gigs with MLSE after retiring.

Well one could look at that as getting the most out of their contracts. No issues with that in this case.

jabbronies
07-14-2015, 08:48 AM
It's on his Twitter feed - but posted as an image

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xFRufqpMio

UPDATE - Found the link:
http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2015/07/steven-caldwell-announces-his-retirement

OgtheDim
07-14-2015, 08:55 AM
Good for all concerned.

jabbronies
07-14-2015, 08:56 AM
Not surprised. Saw this coming - and I even mentioned it a few weeks back in another thread. I just hope we have a replacement for him.

TFC/Everton
07-14-2015, 08:56 AM
He was a real leader on this team. Will be missed, but it is certainly for the best.

C'mon Bez, go work your magic and get us two players. A winger and a bloody defender who can actually defend.

ensco
07-14-2015, 08:58 AM
I highly doubt he is actually part of the setup. Some cap gymnastics here. He stays "part of the front office" until the expiration of his contract and/or the insurance issues are in the rear view mirror.

Interesting to negotiate a corporate job (whether actual or just a title) as part of the settlement. He's a smart guy, thinking about the future with a clear head. He'll be playing or managing or whatever in Scotland next year.

Red I
07-14-2015, 08:58 AM
Say what you want about him being injured all year and taking up a valuable roster spot and salary, but... The guy was our captain, and no one questioned his commitment and desire when he took the field. He is a great leader on and off the field, and honestly didn't deserve to be put out to pasture as the captain by Bez and Vanney (that should have played out better, but, what's done is done).

Top boy, in all sense of the word. I'm glad he's staying on with the club, as he is a great ambassador for our club and our city. One man i wouldn't mind having a pint with. Cheers, captain!

PopePouri
07-14-2015, 09:00 AM

To be fair to the situation, it's not a random "scouting" or coaching job. Stevie has been obviously planning to go into the corporate world.

OgtheDim
07-14-2015, 09:02 AM
I highly doubt he is actually part of the setup. Some cap gymnastics here. He stays "part of the front office" until the expiration of his contract and/or the insurance issues are in the rear view mirror.

He'll be playing in Scotland next year.

Not sure about that. Family seems to like it here. The title though - has he got any business experience?

C.Ronaldo
07-14-2015, 09:02 AM
Director of Corporate Development

WTF, thats a real gig. straight to director though?

notthesun
07-14-2015, 09:04 AM

Interesting to negotiate a corporate job (whether actual or just a title) as part of the settlement. He's a smart guy, thinking about the future with a clear head. He'll be playing or managing or whatever in Scotland next year.

Has a future in broadcasting here if he decides to go that route. Liked his stints with Sportsnet as a halftime analyst for Premier League games.

brad
07-14-2015, 09:06 AM
Director of Corporate Development

WTF, thats a real gig. straight to director though?

Pay grades are often tied to titles in the corporate world. Quite possible (and likely) that the title was assigned based on the amount of $$ they negotiated with him.

C.Ronaldo
07-14-2015, 09:09 AM
Pay grades are often tied to titles in the corporate world. Quite possible (and likely) that the title was assigned based on the amount of $$ they negotiated with him.

True say

dupont
07-14-2015, 09:11 AM
MLSE is going to run out of titles and positions eventually since they make up a new one every time they push a player towards retirement in order to make cap space mid season.

Jack
07-14-2015, 09:12 AM
Thank you, Caldwell.

Jpexxx
07-14-2015, 09:13 AM
Hmm, I wonder if the big signing Lieweke alluded to a few weeks ago will be a CB costing approx 400 K?

ensco
07-14-2015, 09:15 AM
Not sure about that. Family seems to like it here. The title though - has he got any business experience?

You don't need that at MLSE. How much did Bez or Shanahan have?

That said, I have trouble imagining this is real for a bunch of reasons, not least of which is the obvious hard feelings over busting him down from the captain role in the spring.

OfficeGuy
07-14-2015, 09:17 AM
He gave us veteran leadership when we needed it. I'll thank him for that.

YES x2 ... he earned his stripes

OgtheDim
07-14-2015, 09:18 AM
Compared to Danny Cahill, this has been a love fest.

Jack
07-14-2015, 09:32 AM

Yeah, I think this is something along those lines. There will be defenders coming in. Everyone sees this as our glaring need on an otherwise solid team and clearing cap space to bring in someone a bit younger who doesn't have lingering bitterness is probably what this is about. Tough thing for Caldwell, but that is often how it goes in sports.

Yohan
07-14-2015, 09:35 AM
Thanks Steve, for wearing our jersey with pride and representing as captain of our team

MartinUtd
07-14-2015, 09:38 AM
Compared to Danny Cahill, this has been a love fest.

You mean Califf? He played like 6 games for us and wasn't match fit. We didn't even have the opportunity to develop an affinity for him.

As for Stevie, what a guy. Even though he had the odd howler, he brought order to chaos.. because that's the only way we can describe our back line before he came along. He's been missed badly this season so hopefully we'll sign someone that can live up to what he's done for us.

ManUtd4ever
07-14-2015, 09:40 AM
This is the best case scenario for all parties involved. Caldwell wore the jersey with class, but it was time to move on.

Bishop Blaize
07-14-2015, 09:42 AM
good luck to him. I always have time for players who make the tough tackles and go about their business without any histrionics. Was very good at organising our backline too, I'm sure Henry learnt a lot from him.

OgtheDim
07-14-2015, 09:55 AM
You mean Califf? He played like 6 games for us and wasn't match fit. .

Yeah him. He left with some acrimony.

Red I
07-14-2015, 10:08 AM
You don't need that at MLSE. How much did Bez or Shanahan have?

Um, they both had league front office jobs before their hiring - does that count?

Fort York Redcoat
07-14-2015, 10:14 AM

Man you got me with that one, too. Great tats though.

Bishop Blaize
07-14-2015, 10:14 AM

probably more to do with some of the things he said prev about us when we originally tried to get him:
"When you're presented with a choice to go to Chivas or Toronto, which place are you going to choose?" Califf said Thursday, after his flight had landed in California.

"Please, if you're going to make this trade, please don't send me to Toronto."

I'm sure if he had came here and been a stalwart like Caldwell, those statements would have been forgiven, but he played little for us.

JayMolly
07-14-2015, 10:26 AM
Thanks Steve, for wearing our jersey with pride and representing as captain of our team

^
We agree. Met him in person and proud to have his autograph on our jersey.
All the best to a classy guy!

ensco
07-14-2015, 10:45 AM
Um, they both had league front office jobs before their hiring - does that count?

OK here goes. This topic seriously winds me up ....

Sure. Both Bez and Shanahan each had a job in a league office for a couple of years ... and, er, that's it.

What was their track record in running a group or a division, let alone a whole company?
How many times had they hired or fired anyone?
Have they ever had any experience with the actual core skill in their current jobs, talent identification?

I don't care how "smart" they are, there are a lot of smart guys in the world. Both Bez and Shanahan are woeful from any objective process-oriented POV. They are both being shielded from real scrutiny by mountains of cash from the mothership. It drives me nuts that Shanahan is getting credit for "landing" Babcock. This is exactly analagous to the "Bez landed Gio" stories. Both are total nonsense.

Masai is different. He had actual credentials for the job he was hired for, and has done good things here, without a single incremental dime from Leiweke. Imagine that.

barticusz
07-14-2015, 10:50 AM
A big thanks to Caldwell who gave his all every time he was on the field. Too bad we never did get to see more than a few games of him and Perquis together.

OgtheDim
07-14-2015, 11:03 AM
Nice pic this - shows a lot about Giovinco

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CJ4vSCgWIAAs9a9.jpg

C.Ronaldo
07-14-2015, 11:05 AM

Sure. Both Bez and Shanahan each had a job in a league office for a couple of years ... and, er, that's it.

What was their track record in running a group or a division, let alone a whole company?
Have they ever had any experience with the actual core skill in their current jobs, talent identification?

I don't care how "smart" they are, there are a lot of smart guys in the world. Both Bez and Shanahan are woeful from any objective process-oriented POV. They are both being shielded from real scrutiny by mountains of cash from the mothership. It drives me nuts that Shanahan is getting credit for "landing" Babcock. This is exactly analagous to the "Bez landed Gio" stories. Both are total nonsense.

Masai is different. He had actual credentials for the job he was hired for, and has done good things here, without a single incremental dime from Leiweke. Imagine that.

inexperienced guys are easier to puppet

C.Ronaldo
07-14-2015, 11:07 AM
sweater in summer? how OLD IS Caldwell anyway. lol

molenshtain
07-14-2015, 11:12 AM

and yet all indications point to Shanahan and Bez being good hires. They were risks, but they're paying off.

Shway
07-14-2015, 11:12 AM
Thank you Steven for your contributions for TFC, and your humility in retiring.

ensco
07-14-2015, 11:14 AM
inexperienced guys are easier to puppet

ding ding ding

ensco
07-14-2015, 11:14 AM
and yet all indications point to Shanahan and Bez being good hires. They were risks, but they're paying off.

This might be true for Shanahan. I disagree re Bez, I have argued it elsewhere, won't rehash it here

woolly
07-14-2015, 11:17 AM
I'm sorry to see Caldwell go, but if he has Achilles Tendonitis, his chances of coming back were zero.

I have it as well, and can barely walk some days... I could run for half a game, but would have to recover for another 3-4 weeks each time. And the only real option is surgery, which is also career-ending.

MagicPig
07-14-2015, 01:20 PM
The best CB we've had, and that's him coming in at near 32 years old. He has a great football brain but his body betrayed him at times, he was a bit slow, but on his day he was a beast in the air and a leader on the pitch.

thanks for your service Caldwell.

GhostKiller
07-14-2015, 01:35 PM
So do we now have his salary off the books? Can we sign a defender with his salary in the transfer window?

molenshtain
07-14-2015, 04:10 PM
So do we now have his salary off the books? Can we sign a defender with his salary in the transfer window?

yeah

bigredone
07-14-2015, 04:14 PM
Nice pic this - shows a lot about Giovinco

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CJ4vSCgWIAAs9a9.jpg

Buns of steel, too

Blixa
07-14-2015, 05:23 PM
Has a future in broadcasting here if he decides to go that route. Liked his stints with Sportsnet as a halftime analyst for Premier League games.

He's got a future in broadcasting but only with closed captioning (hehe). Top lad Steven Caldwell and I wish him all the best. Gotta hand it to MLSE with this corp patronage scheme to free up cap space.

Initial B
07-14-2015, 11:31 PM
I'm sorry to see him go, but his body betrayed him. Thanks for all your effort, Steven.

hulkrogan
07-16-2015, 02:33 PM
Our own box was a frightening place for the opposition with him and Henry. I really enjoyed those two working together at CB.