PDA

View Full Version : MLS All Star Game - TFC At That & tge Complications

OgtheDim
07-13-2015, 03:53 PM
Wed July 29 in Colorado vs. Spurs

LIkely 2 TFC players, maybe 3.

Starters voted in will be announced tonight during the Panama/US Gold Cup match.

Bradley is likely to be announced tonight.
Giovinco will go for sure.
Altidore maybe but not guaranteed.

Bradley and Altidore should be traveling from Philly and the final/3rd place game. If they somehow managed to lose in the quarters, they'd be back with us before this game. We play the Saturday before in Columbus and then the next Saturday at NER. The travel for this is not going to help but comes with the territory of having decent players.

As much as I dislike what this does to travel, it should be noted that the MLS guys tend to get up for these things and enjoy playing with each other - injuries happen but the players rarely are all that affected.

That and I can't spell it seems. :(

ensco
07-13-2015, 04:34 PM
Thought I would help out here with the internet slang

:)

http://www.internetslang.com/TGE-meaning-definition.asp

SenorDingDong
07-13-2015, 05:00 PM
I think will actually be one of the strongest MLS All Star Lineups.

Giovinco - Villa
----- Kaka------

up front?

Defoe
07-13-2015, 07:11 PM
-- Villa - Giovinco
BWP - Kaka- Piatti
--------- Pirlo
Shea - Ciman - Jones - Morrow

bench: Lampard, Kamara, Altidore, Bradley << :| wow.

----------Keane - Dempsey
-------Castilo - Valeri - Zusi
--------------Gerrard --------
De Jong - Gonzalez - Besler - Opara

Martins, Rivero, Wondowlski or someone can replace Dempsey

It should have been East vs West. Even though the defenders are shite in this league, the offence is really becoming quite noticeable.

OgtheDim
07-13-2015, 07:29 PM
Pirlo and Gerrard are not going. Havn't played yet.

Detroit_TFC
07-13-2015, 07:39 PM
I think we can start talking about East vs West. Until now (or maybe last season) it would hardly be worth it. But I can see how that might be an entertaining match given the current talent.

Richard
07-13-2015, 08:14 PM
Pirlo and Gerrard are not going. Havn't played yet.

I don't know isn't the roster size like 22+ or something?

I think it happens for the sole reason that this could be a mega blockbuster game if MLS promotes this right. It could end up being a huge spectacle and I'm actually looking forward to this game, shame that the opponent isn't ManU.

When else are you going to see international legends from Brazil, England, Italy, Spain, Scotland, US all play on the same team.

If I was a player I would be stoked for this game.

I think these are the type of friendlies MLS should be doing, less of the club oriented focus but more so represent the league as a whole.

Areathrasher
07-13-2015, 08:37 PM
Bradley in fan 11
Garber picks Gerrard and Lampard.

No Gio

Super
07-13-2015, 08:41 PM
Meh, to be honest, I'm kinda happy that Giovinco is not playing. Why risk him? Let him rest up at home instead. It's a joke of a game anyway. And the MLS is playing Spurs. Not even a CL team. Best ignore this one.

notthesun
07-13-2015, 08:47 PM
Meh, to be honest, I'm kinda happy that Giovinco is not playing. Why risk him? Let him rest up at home instead. It's a joke of a game anyway. And the MLS is playing Spurs. Not even a CL team. Best ignore this one.

Coach picks bench players, he's still gonna make it into the game. At least he'll play less minutes.

It's pretty funny and a little sad he didn't get voted in. But Garber's picks are just hilarious. If you ever wanted proof all-star games are strictly a cash grab and absolutely nothing more, this is it.

edit: I may have been slightly mistaken, apparently the fan vote is not the actual starting XI but is just 11 players automatically sent to the game. So Mastroeni will pick his starting lineup out of those voted in, Gerrard + Lamps and the players he picks. So Giovinco could still start.

Blixa
07-13-2015, 10:00 PM
It's a farce of a game.

OgtheDim
07-13-2015, 10:40 PM
Actually coach picks rest of the players and then starters. Giovinco will likely get picked but may not start. I don't see Altidore going.

Those picked already are just guaranteed a roster spot.

As for Gerrard and Lampard, that's soooooooo Garber. (although given the amount of attacking mids picked, I'm thinking Bradley may only play 30 minutes)

notthesun
07-13-2015, 10:57 PM
I hope Twellman flat out asks Garber how he can justify picking two guys that have never played in the league before at halftime. Would be hilarious to see what he comes up with in response.

Voodooman
07-14-2015, 08:04 AM
Love how the rest of the league agrees with the shock of no Gio.

One of the surprises for me was in Goal, there have been a few keepers who are doing better than Rimando, even Ousted.

Those two Garb picks though...Watch Prilo will make the bench now.... -.-

Detroit_TFC
07-14-2015, 08:34 AM
It's a competitive farce and needlessly imitative of "traditional" North American sports, but players get bonuses for getting named to ASG squad. If it wasn't for that last bit I wouldn't care who gets named to the team.

OfficeGuy
07-14-2015, 09:28 AM
Team USA & Friends Gala is what this should be called

MLS needs an East vs West All Star Game .. it's time for that now .... a showcase rather than a game a player can injure themselves or play during a crucial time in the scheduling

Garber getting those 2 picks just adds to the debate ...

Jack
07-14-2015, 09:41 AM
The All Marketing Game.

Jack
07-14-2015, 09:45 AM
Oh, and this comment on the ESPN article http://www.espnfc.us/major-league-soccer/story/2521904/lampard-and-gerrard-among-mls-all-star-selections just killed it g:D

http://i.imgur.com/xl86ADR.jpg

Fort York Redcoat
07-14-2015, 09:56 AM
IS this a bigger game than TFC vs Sunderland???

ryan
07-14-2015, 10:02 AM
I wouldn't be opposed to an EAST/WEST game...with the winner getting home rights in the final for their conference ala MLB.

Make it mean something, or do away with this joke.

Jack
07-14-2015, 10:04 AM
IS this a bigger game than TFC vs Sunderland???
It's a Bloody Big Game!

ManUtd4ever
07-14-2015, 10:30 AM
Fans around the league have voiced their opinions on the MLS website regarding Giovinco's notable absence in the preliminary All Star starting lineup.

What an absolute joke that he wasn't included. He should have been the first player named.

barticusz
07-14-2015, 10:52 AM
Anyone else absolutely thrilled all we're sending is Bradley.. the one guy who can clock those miles and still put in a decent effort? The all star game is an abomination and what makes it more hilarious is that Garber included Gerrard and Lampard as his two picks.. not the leading scorer or the leading playmaker who are actually playing in the league.

ensco
07-14-2015, 10:57 AM
Fans around the league have voiced their opinions on the MLS website regarding Giovinco's notable absence in the preliminary All Star starting lineup.

What an absolute joke that he wasn't included. He should have been the first player named.

It's great. Maybe it means Gio rips a hangnail that week and doesnt go.

Jack
07-14-2015, 11:05 AM
Anyone else absolutely thrilled all we're sending is Bradley.. the one guy who can clock those miles and still put in a decent effort? The all star game is an abomination and what makes it more hilarious is that Garber included Gerrard and Lampard as his two picks.. not the leading scorer or the leading playmaker who are actually playing in the league.
I have no doubt that Giovinco will be named to the team at some point. No way does MLS let one of its best players not feature.

ManUtd4ever
07-14-2015, 12:04 PM
I have no doubt that Giovinco will be named to the team at some point. No way does MLS let one of its best players not feature.

No doubt, but it's sort of a slap in the face to Giovinco that he hasn't already been named.

Jack
07-14-2015, 12:24 PM
No doubt, but it's sort of a slap in the face to Giovinco that he hasn't already been named.
I suppose so. I guess the Toronto sports inferiority complex makes it even worse.

OgtheDim
07-14-2015, 12:35 PM
http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2015/07/14/mls-all-star-game-players-react-lampard-gerrard

Richard
07-14-2015, 12:43 PM
All Garber has to say is "for the good of the game", that's really all he has to say and its a valid point, more bums in seats or higher TV numbers is a good thing.

spe18
07-14-2015, 12:51 PM

It should be noted that the players currently listed to play in the ASG were selected by the fans, with the exception of the commissioner's picks.

jabbronies
07-14-2015, 12:53 PM
I hope Gio doesn't get named to the game at all. For a many number of reason.

The major reason I'd rather he enjoy the time off with his family and then come back refreshed for TFC and tear the league another arsehole.

OgtheDim
07-14-2015, 01:15 PM
It should be noted that the players currently listed to play in the ASG were selected by the fans, with the exception of the commissioner's picks.

Fans yelling at fans. Nothing new.

If you look at the results, there is a lot of ballot stuffing going on in Seattle and KC.

ronzilla
07-14-2015, 05:59 PM
TFC still fuming over Giovinco snubhttp://www.torontosun.com/2015/07/14/tfc-still-fuming-over-giovinco-snub