PDA

View Full Version : MLS teams including the Reds get 500K outside of the cap to spend on a player !!

Red CB Toronto
07-08-2015, 11:49 AM
I love it, who could complain on the league injecting $10 Million to sign players. Will be interesting to see how the Bez and the TFC brain trust you it.

http://www.espnfc.com/major-league-soccer/story/2516355/mls-rule-may-open-door-for-teams-4th-high-earning-player (http://www.espnfc.com/major-league-soccer/story/2516355/mls-rule-may-open-door-for-teams-4th-high-earning-player)

ManUtd4ever
07-08-2015, 11:54 AM
With Caldwell and Findley on the books, this will definitely come in handy.

Fort York Redcoat
07-08-2015, 11:54 AM
There's Freddie Adu signed somewhere...

Ultra & Proud
07-08-2015, 11:56 AM
Meh. More room for back door highjinks with even more convoluted and non-transparent rules. Plus $100K/year for 5 years or that stupid breakdown adds little. Just increasing the cap that much instead of dogging around with this typical MLS B.S would have made things easier and better.

Ultra & Proud
07-08-2015, 11:57 AM
With Caldwell and Findley on the books, this will definitely come in handy.
Neither qualify. Player must make over $462K to qualify.

Areathrasher
07-08-2015, 12:09 PM
Perquis/Cheyrou type signing from Serie A in the offseason.

molenshtain
07-08-2015, 12:12 PM
So if we use 500 000 of this shit this year to buy down a dude's contract, whomever he may turn out to be, what happen's next year when we don't have all that allocation to buy down the contract? if we sign a guy on 900k and buy him down this season, does he go back to being 900k cap hit next season?

Areathrasher
07-08-2015, 12:19 PM
So if we use 500 000 of this shit this year to buy down a dude's contract, whomever he may turn out to be, what happen's next year when we don't have all that allocation to buy down the contract? if we sign a guy on 900k and buy him down this season, does he go back to being 900k cap hit next season?

Yep.

Ultra & Proud
07-08-2015, 12:20 PM
Yes. You get $500K for 5 years. If you use the full $500K in one year on a guy then you have none to use for the next 4 years unless you trade for someone else's. For a long term plan, you'd be best to look at guys who would make $600K or so and buy them down so they could at least spend a few years here or you'd still have some B.S allocation for the end of those 5 years. But that is also trusting that convoluted and dodgy MLSHQ actually forces teams to use the right amount and keep tabs when it expires, etc.

C.Ronaldo
07-08-2015, 12:45 PM
stupid!
just increase the damn cap

Ultra & Proud
07-08-2015, 12:59 PM
Works out good for the powers that be though. In a couple years after some guys released and some teams worked trades for this Targeted Allocation, no one will have a clue about who has what amount left to spend. Then MLS can do what they always have done and can play God by helping out certain teams when they see fit and no one will have a clue or enough proof that it was a scam.

ManUtd4ever
07-08-2015, 01:04 PM
Neither qualify. Player must make over $462K to qualify.

My bad, I should have read the whole article. My initial impression was that teams were being given an additional 500k in allocation.

Ultra & Proud
07-08-2015, 01:12 PM
My bad, I should have read the whole article. My initial impression was that teams were being given an additional 500k in allocation.
Naw, that would make too much sense.

molenshtain
07-08-2015, 01:30 PM
I have mixed thought's on this. In some ways it reads like forced cap to get the Colorado's and Philly's and whatever to start spending a bit more, which is good. On the other hand, you have to wonder when deregulation is going to start. At some point MLS is gonna have to stop messing around with rules like these if we wanna be taken seriously. It's a really weird way to try and bump up the cap. I don't know why it was necessary to also give us another 100 000 in allocation every year for five years on top of the "targated" allocation money. Why don't you just increase the cap???

The more I read about this though, the more I think this is a bit of a placeholder rule. Salary cap increases doesn't come into full effect until next season, so when there's that new bump of 3-4 hundred k available we might see them add some finishing touches to the rule, as every team would then have a bunch of cap space and some time to really readjust their roster properly.

Areathrasher
07-08-2015, 01:37 PM
Decent read on the in and outs of it here

http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2015/7/8/8913401/mls-targeted-allocation-money-giovani-dos-santos-la-galaxy?utm_campaign=kevinmccauley&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

MartinUtd
07-08-2015, 01:43 PM
I'll complain.

The rules surrounding salaries and roster limitations are an absolute joke. MLS is run more like the WWE than any other football league I can think of.

Ultra & Proud
07-08-2015, 01:49 PM
In some ways it reads like forced cap to get the Colorado's and Philly's and whatever to start spending a bit more, which is good.
The cheapskate teams can always trade the rights to this allocation for a really low pick or some scrub.

OgtheDim
07-08-2015, 01:50 PM
In essence, this is about $ 2 million per year of liquidity being put into the wage economy of MLS that is targeted at a certain level of player.

It ain't a bad thing in and of itself.

Ultra & Proud
07-08-2015, 01:51 PM
In essence, this is about $ 2 million per year of liquidity being put into the wage economy of MLS that is targeted at a certain level of player.

It ain't a bad thing in and of itself.
But it could have been handled better.

C.Ronaldo
07-08-2015, 02:10 PM
they are moving away of the intent to creat better North Americn players.

Id rather see a rule where selling an MLS acadmy player gets you allocation. something along those lines

barticusz
07-08-2015, 02:23 PM
they are moving away of the intent to creat better North Americn players.

Id rather see a rule where selling an MLS acadmy player gets you allocation. something along those lines

That is already in place and has been for a long time. If a player is transferred to another club outside of the League.. Aka Henry to Limassol, the team gets Allocation money. So if you develop an Academy that turns out talent you can sell all those players to recieve a big buffer in the amount you can spend per year.

Jack
07-08-2015, 02:24 PM
Meh. More room for back door highjinks with even more convoluted and non-transparent rules. Plus $100K/year for 5 years or that stupid breakdown adds little. Just increasing the cap that much instead of dogging around with this typical MLS B.S would have made things easier and better.
Maybe by doing things outside the cap, they circumvent the CBA?

OgtheDim
07-08-2015, 02:33 PM
Maybe by doing things outside the cap, they circumvent the CBA?

More like they can ensure all the owners agree. A 4th DP would not be acceptable to teams like Colorado & Philly who don't like being told to spend money by their supporters. But, give everybody the same piece of pie, over 5 years and say everybody can only do a certain thing with it, and everybody (but TFC it seems) is happy with it.

Jack
07-08-2015, 02:43 PM
More like they can ensure all the owners agree. A 4th DP would not be acceptable to teams like Colorado & Philly who don't like being told to spend money by their supporters. But, give everybody the same piece of pie, over 5 years and say everybody can only do a certain thing with it, and everybody (but TFC it seems) is happy with it.
After reading the SBNation article, it looks like this was included in the new deal. Their perspective is that this forces cheap owners to spend a bit more for players of higher quality.

Ultra & Proud
07-08-2015, 02:52 PM
Their perspective is that this forces cheap owners to spend a bit more for players of higher quality.
Shouldn't have allowed the rule to trade it away for anything then. Just words and double speak from them. As usual, it's just a sham.

Areathrasher
07-08-2015, 03:00 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CJar80lVEAAHlUS.png

:lol:

molenshtain
07-08-2015, 03:05 PM
Shouldn't have allowed the rule to trade it away for anything then. Just words and double speak from them. As usual, it's just a sham.

The idea is that no matter what your getting an asset with that money even if you don't spend it yourself. You lose your regular allocation if you take too long to use it.

Jack
07-08-2015, 03:06 PM
I dunno. At least they will now be perceived as having "lost" something if they don't make use of this "free allocation". Even if it allows them to just trade this 100k for players or prospects every year, someone, somewhere, will use the allocation for something. This just expands the allocation pool even further, so it allows for higher salaries for individual players, which isn't a bad thing as the league grows. I do agree it's convoluted and they could have just raised the damn cap.

ag futbol
07-08-2015, 03:07 PM
After reading the SBNation article, it looks like this was included in the new deal. Their perspective is that this forces cheap owners to spend a bit more for players of higher quality.
I dunno - from the noise Leiwkee was making last week he thought this was a slap in the face to teams like TFC and NYC which have invested heavily in their squads.

So it sounds like this money is coming from somewhere, rather than owners being out of pocket.

Jack
07-08-2015, 03:35 PM
I dunno - from the noise Leiwkee was making last week he thought this was a slap in the face to teams like TFC and NYC which have invested heavily in their squads.

So it sounds like this money is coming from somewhere, rather than owners being out of pocket.
He was talking about the "Core DP" rule. Is that what this is? To me, his comments read like whining because LA have a cheap DP and will benefit from this.

ensco
07-08-2015, 03:44 PM
So, a $100K cap increase.

Which you can accelerate into $500K (but then you lose it for the next 4 years), which means LAG can buy down Omar Gonzalez and .... not much else.

Be still my beating heart.

First thought - we could have kept Laba if this had been around 18 months ago.

Richard
07-08-2015, 03:49 PM

Or you know, just let us loan him out like we are with Gilberto now.

Jack
07-08-2015, 03:51 PM
Coulda, shoulda, woulda. That is a game of insanity with Toronto sports teams.

ensco
07-08-2015, 03:52 PM
Coulda, shoulda, woulda. That is a game of insanity with Toronto sports teams.

If we'd only kept Preki we'd be in the Premier League now.

Ultra & Proud
07-08-2015, 03:55 PM

Which you can accelerate into $500K (but then you lose it for the next 4 years), which means LAG can buy down Omar Gonzalez and .... not much else.

Laba's not a USMNT player and we aren't the Galaxy and there is your MLS reasoning.

Fort York Redcoat
07-08-2015, 04:07 PM

Who? Have you mentioned this player before?g:D

ag futbol
07-08-2015, 04:08 PM
He was talking about the "Core DP" rule. Is that what this is? To me, his comments read like whining because LA have a cheap DP and will benefit from this.
More or less. I read it as he was pissed because this gives them enough wiggle room to get dos santos on the books.

Additional money is never a bad thing but they'd save a lot of headaches of they'd just quit making it up as they go

ensco
07-08-2015, 04:14 PM
Who? Have you mentioned this player before?g:D

I do have certain topics I like to swing back to. :-)

Richard
07-08-2015, 04:16 PM
I do have certain topics I like to swing back to. :-)

Speaking of which, can we get a "Fake Tim Leiweke Diary" when he leaves. g:D

ensco
07-08-2015, 04:25 PM
Speaking of which, can we get a "Fake Tim Leiweke Diary" when he leaves. g:D

Tried it. There was tons of hate for it.

Truth be told, I never have really figured Leiweke out, at least not the way I felt I had Peddie/Anselmi figured out.

But thanks for remembering!

Jack
07-08-2015, 08:09 PM
Tried it. There was tons of hate for it.

Truth be told, I never have really figured Leiweke out, at least not the way I felt I had Peddie/Anselmi figured out.

But thanks for remembering!
It was entertaining.

[NBF]
07-08-2015, 08:30 PM
bring back goalberto!