PDA

View Full Version : Atomic Ant - Opposing forces don't stand a chance

ronzilla
06-27-2015, 11:52 AM
It's true. The only one that could defeat this team are the referees.

mistercorporate
06-27-2015, 03:10 PM
I concur!

Jack
06-27-2015, 03:29 PM
Someone has a man-crush :scarf:

mistercorporate
06-27-2015, 07:54 PM
Someone has a man-crush :scarf:

fap, fap, fap...

Red4ever
06-28-2015, 02:11 AM
Giovinco is too good to have such a terrible, poorly translated nickname.

trane
06-28-2015, 04:30 AM
^It is not poorly translated, la formica atomica, means the atomic ant. I think there is another nickname but it escapes me right now.

Red4ever
06-28-2015, 09:20 AM
^It is not poorly translated, la formica atomica, means the atomic ant. I think there is another nickname but it escapes me right now.

Which is a play on Atom Ant the cartoon character, which was translated into Italian and now back.

i wish we'd just say it in Italian, but I'm aware I'm in the minority.

mistercorporate
06-28-2015, 11:10 AM
I think calling him Atomic Ant minimizes him, his new Toronto nickname should be "Atomic Bomb"

Imagine the chants when he scores, "Boooommmm...Atomic Bomb!"

Ajax TFC
06-28-2015, 11:15 AM
Exactly. We're using the English translation of the Italian name for a character with an English name (which is the Atom Ant).

ronzilla
06-28-2015, 11:25 AM
Atom Ant is a cartoon character that has nothing to do with La Formica Atomica (Atomic Ant).

Its really that simple.

bignickel
06-28-2015, 01:57 PM
Atom Ant is a cartoon character that has nothing to do with La Formica Atomica (Atomic Ant).

Its really that simple.

it actually does, I grew up in south America where hanna barberas 'atom ant' was translated as 'la hormiga atomica', this applied to the show when it was distributed to spain and Italy as well.

it is not a direct translation, 'formica atomo' would be, but you have to genderize a noun in a romance language or else it would sound like shit. this then changes the adjective 'atomo'.

so is it a direct translation? yes! is it a bad translation, definitely!

it was very common back in the 80's (in peru) for a short or smaller kid who was good at the sport to have this nickname. 'mini minor' was another one that comes to mind with reference to the 'mr.bean' car.

sorry for being the language nerd, but I have to admit, it is a really bad translation.

why call a short guy an ant if it wasn't in reference to a great fictional character? if not, its also a really bad insult!!