PDA

View Full Version : Flag/National Anthem Mishap At Beginning of All Star Game

TicTacTabarnack
07-24-2008, 09:59 PM
Wow ... I couldn't believe how they didn't bring out our flag until AFTER the English and US national anthems. Made us absolutely livid and we even ended up booing during both anthems. Terrible Terrible timing on the Organizers part. Did it sound/look bad on TV?

I sort of feel bad now after the fact ... But Seriously... What were we suppose to think?

OneLoveOneEric
07-24-2008, 10:00 PM
I was there. Nobody around me booed. It was brutal. No excuse for that kind of shit, IMO. I'm sure I'll take tons of shit for this, but it was utterly classless, and you're right for feeling bad.
They were clearly going to sing Oh Canada. To think they wouldn't is absurd.

Ratven
07-24-2008, 10:01 PM
Yeah I don't really feel bad about it because it's their own fault... it looked like we weren't going to have our anthem played. Breaking out into Oh Canada halfway through the American anthem was epic.

sully
07-24-2008, 10:01 PM
I can't believe that there are people lucky enough to work for TFC or MLS and they can be that stupid as to not anticipate peoples reactions....absolutely unbelieveable and amateurish...

TFC OZZ
07-24-2008, 10:03 PM
I had just made it into the stadium at that point... The second I heard booing I was shocked, honestly shocked; that shit simply can't go down. After hearing what happened now though, I don't think you guys deserve too much blame.

flatpicker
07-24-2008, 10:06 PM
I feel bad for what happened... but the organisers really should have thought it out better.
Telling fans to stand for the anthems of England and USA, while not mentioning Canada was asking for trouble.
They should have mentioned all three at once or just one at a time!

BigD
07-24-2008, 10:06 PM
They annouced the England and US anthems and no indication of the Canadian one coming ... not even the flag on the field.

When they dragged our flag out it looked like it was an after thought. Took a while to realize it wasn't (the organized singer was the thing that made me realize).
On a side note ... why have someone sing? ... the fans are known to do it amazingly.

They needed to have all flags out at first ... or at least mention that the Canadian anthem would follow. It was an unfortunate outcome facilitated ENTIRELY by poor planning on the part of the organizers.

As I was typing this Global news just had this as their top story on the 11pm news.

ensco
07-24-2008, 10:09 PM
For my money, that was an epic MLSE error. It's their job to vet the plans. They'll say no one could have seen it coming, but that's BS.

Cas87
07-24-2008, 10:10 PM
I think CBC wanted to only show our anthem, and since it was an all-star game they also wanted someone to sing it.

Just a thought

Chevy
07-24-2008, 10:13 PM
For my money, that was an epic MLSE error. It's their job to vet the plans. They'll say no one could have seen it coming, but that's BS.

^^QFT - My six year old said "dad, why didn't they just bring the flags out at the same time?"

Roogsy
07-24-2008, 10:15 PM
Booing and anthem is never acceptable, regardless of who screwed up.

I have never been as embarrassed to be a TFC fan as I was tonight.

You wanna boo Garber or MLS or MLSE...fine. But disrespecting an entire nation, our guests because somebody was stupid enough to slight Canadians is stupid. TFC fans looked like petulant children.

Draracle
07-24-2008, 10:17 PM
Ok, I actually have the answer. Straight from the MLS Board via Miller.

Turns out ESPN didn't want to show the English or American Anthems before the game, they wanted the Canadian Anthem to kick off the game (probably because they knew the crowd would get up for it). Surprising eh?

So they asked the MLS get the other two lesser anthems out of the way early so they could que the feed for the Canadian one. Hence the big show with America's favourite Canadian, the Mountie. Too bad they forgot to inform the crowd about this little scheduling quirk. Apparently they were very embarassed about the whole thing.

I also snagged the operations program book for the game (tells when whats supposted to happen and how, including anthemns, player exits, ref queing, etc.), and the delayed-for-TV Canadian anthem is right in the book.

TicTacTabarnack
07-24-2008, 10:23 PM
They annouced the England and US anthems and no indication of the Canadian one coming ... not even the flag on the field.

When they dragged our flag out it looked like it was an after thought. Took a while to realize it wasn't (the organized singer was the thing that made me realize).
On a side note ... why have someone sing? ... the fans are known to do it amazingly.

They needed to have all flags out at first ... or at least mention that the Canadian anthem would follow. It was an unfortunate outcome facilitated ENTIRELY by poor planning on the part of the organizers.

As I was typing this Global news just had this as their top story on the 11pm news.

F***in' Global! Always the negative making their news hour! Reminds me of FOX News.

Nodoubtguy
07-24-2008, 10:31 PM
It was just weird.....It seemed like it was "shit, we forgot the Canadian anthem, find me some mounties, a singer and a flag...STAT!!"

BigD
07-24-2008, 10:33 PM
F***in' Global! Always the negative making their news hour! Reminds me of FOX News.

They intro'd it with what a disgrace it was ("Canada the good turned into Canada the bad") then they talked to fans who explained their reasoning (that it looked like they were skipping our anthem).

As for TV wanting to lead in with the anthem ... is the concept of editing new to them ... set a delay ... record anthem ... play it as the lead in and then cut to game intro.

I feel bad for booing but i wouldn't have put it past MLS for only having the US anthem for the All-Stars and the England anthem for WHU ... but that is cause I am a pessimist

They should have lead with the Canadian anthem ... then the team anthems ... then the game.

martina
07-24-2008, 10:36 PM
Booing and anthem is never acceptable, regardless of who screwed up.

I have never been as embarrassed to be a TFC fan as I was tonight.

You wanna boo Garber or MLS or MLSE...fine. But disrespecting an entire nation, our guests because somebody was stupid enough to slight Canadians is stupid. TFC fans looked like petulant children.

I agree with Roogsy on this one... that was disrespectful, but on the other hand... poor planning on that.. it did look like: oh geez, let's find a flag somewhere and you can you sing?

booing a national anthem is just all around bad though

Bombonera
07-24-2008, 10:36 PM
What went on tonight at the beggining of the game was one of the most outragious displays ever witnessed at a football game. I still can't believe the fury and passion we all took part of. we made sure that everyone understood that CANADA and Canadian fans are an important part of the MLS. Today, BMO Field was OUR HOUSE.

If there was ever a doubter out there who questioned our passion, I am confident they doubt no more.

Today was a day we should all be proud as fans of TFC. Today was a day that reminded us what fun it is to be proud supporters of a beautiful game and our team.

After all, we did get Jummy B!!!:canada:

jabbronies
07-24-2008, 10:38 PM
I don't feel bad at all. I'm sure anywhere else in the world they would've done the same.

Please people, you tell me that if you go to an NHL or MLB All Star game in New York and you say "Please rise for the singing of the Canadian and Russian National Anthem" with no Stars and strips in sight, that those Ny'ers wouldn't go off like we did??

werewolf
07-24-2008, 10:38 PM
I think it had more to do with people booing the assumption that the Canadian anthem would not be played as opposed to booing the other anthems.

Phil
07-24-2008, 10:39 PM
As far as I know, the MLS was in charge of this event. Seemed like they botched it up.

When we talked with the MLS about it, they were to play the English anthem and then bring the players on the pitch and play Oh Canada.

I guess they made a change and it backfired a bit. I didn't like the booing, or singing over another nations anthem but it made me proud to be Canadian when people belted it out on their own.

Strikers
07-24-2008, 10:40 PM
I agree, tonights singing of our National Anthem was AMAZING:coolgleam::hurray::hurray:

Let's hope we can do this for WCQ, to give our boys a boost:hurray::hurray::canada:

Bombonera
07-24-2008, 10:40 PM
AS per my post. Cup half full. I loved being part of the rightious mess and passion that came out of this.

I doubt very much that any other fans could have or would have gone after this colossal screw up with more vigor.

TFC Cityboy
07-24-2008, 10:41 PM
I'm English, but when it was apparent that the Canadian anthem was to be missed out, booed God Save the Horsey Inbred and joined my mates in yelling O Canada.
Major fuck-up by MLS -emabarassing in hindsight, but 100% not our fault.

BigD
07-24-2008, 10:41 PM
I think it had more to do with people booing the assumption that the Canadian anthem would not be played as opposed to booing the other anthems.

Correct. I have never and would never boo a country's anthem. I was booing MLS for the preceived slight ... it just occured during the US anthem as that was the timing when we believed that we were about to be shafted.

andyc
07-24-2008, 10:42 PM
What I was most impressed by was that the people in 106 very quickly changed from booing to singing O Canada... This was a far more positive response and I think that the organizers were lucky that they got such a positive response. Try that shit in other countries and things would be way worse.....

Phil
07-24-2008, 10:43 PM
AS per my post. Cup half full. I loved being part of the rightious mess and passion that came out of this.

I doubt very much that any other fans could have or would have gone after this colossal screw up with more vigor.

I merged your thread into this one :D

tfcfanatic
07-24-2008, 10:43 PM
I would think that fans from most other countries wouldn't even consider the possibility of their own national anthem not being played.

However....there is a clear history of Canadian anthems being mucked up in US stadiums, flags being held up upside down, etc...

If it weren't for this fact, most fans would have thought "it's obviously coming".

BigD
07-24-2008, 10:48 PM
Was the messy entrance of the flag with the kids and mounties worth it's own segment. Would it have worked better to bring all 3 flags out at once ... do the ENG and US anthems ... then pause bring in the singer ... focus on the flag ... and sing the CDN anthem.

Part of the confusion that the parachuted the CDN flag in. Had me wondering ... was the parachute the Canadian thing in lieu of the anthem?

Other than dragging the flag out there is no reason it shouldn't have been out on the field ... and then there wouldn't have been any confusion.

martina
07-24-2008, 10:48 PM
don't get me wrong. I was in section 105... I did not boo, but did join in the singing of the canadian anthem... I was very proud to be canadian at that game... especially when people cheered like crazy with Brennan came on...

Heathen
07-24-2008, 10:50 PM
Lighten the fuck up, its an anthem at a soccer game not a state funeral. Honestly North Americans take their anthems way too seriously, it was an honest mistake on those that were there. What about all the dozens of times they've played the star spangled banner at MLS games and its been totally respected.

tfcfanatic
07-24-2008, 10:55 PM
don't get me wrong. I was in section 105... I did not boo, but did join in the singing of the canadian anthem... I was very proud to be canadian at that game... especially when people cheered like crazy with Brennan came on...

In 105 as well - also didn't boo, but had a fun time joining in for part of the Canadian anthem. You're right though - great showcase for Canadian soccer overall. Hopefully we made a few more fans tonight.

BigD
07-24-2008, 10:55 PM
^^^ I agree ... some of us fans made a mistake ... the organizers made a mistake ... we just need to call it an oops and move on.

It would be impressive if the organizers released a statement noting the accidental confusion that occured by not indicating there would be an anthem ... cause otherwise the media is going to rip into the fans for booing and give little air time to why ... sometimes I hate the media

windsorlad111
07-24-2008, 11:06 PM
anybody with half a mind would have known the fans expected the Canadian anthem first. straight off by displaying the stars and stripes they rubbed our faces in the 'Mericanisation' of the MLS. they fucked up. fuck 'em. all Canadians sung their hearts out, and even my wife did and she's english. this is our house. we're not a fucking retarded cousin of the yanks.

Pachuco
07-24-2008, 11:08 PM

You couldn't have said it any better. I was booing my lungs out, nothing to do with the U.S or English anthem, I was outraged that the Canadian anthem seemed as though it wasn't going to be played.

I don't feel bad, embarrassed, one bit. If these morons knew how to plan a god damn soccer match then maybe none of this shit would happen. The only people that should be embarrased is the morons who planned this shit.

just some guy
07-24-2008, 11:09 PM
before this even happened who the @#%%&^$$ thought this was a good idea. lets bring out the usa flag and king james cross and not the canadian flag. what the &@$%^&#@&% was going through your minds. bring tham all out at once and announce that all three anthems are to be played. i mean what else are you supposed to think, especially when the only thing the local news seem to care about is what the ^%%#$#$ david beckham was doing yesterday, last night, today, and right up till the start of the game. you would think that by now the local news would have figured out by now that the ones going to see these football matches dont give two F#@ks about the man.

Roogsy
07-24-2008, 11:12 PM
LOL!

You guys are either not reading the whole thread or the links provided.

It looks like the MLS had full intention of playing the national anthem, they just intended to delay it until they could broadcast it. Sounds like the English and American anthems were never going to be aired.

In other words, they didn't intentionally slight anyone. And Canadians looked classless for booing a foreign anthem. Whether you intended to boo it or the people...it still happened during the anthem and none of you would be as forgiving if it happened in the States the other way around.

Mikey
07-24-2008, 11:14 PM
honestly.
fuck the yanks and fuck the soft as shite apologists on here too, that was the first true "this is our house" moment at BMO.

remember it.

Flipityflu
07-24-2008, 11:15 PM
the problem was caused by a lack of communication to the fans on what was going on. the minute no mention of the Canadian anthem took place, it was going to be a bad scene. it should never have gotten to that.

windsorlad111
07-24-2008, 11:21 PM
JUST SOME GUY - it's not the 'King James Cross' it's the cross of St.George. Where the fuck did you get that name for it?

loconet
07-24-2008, 11:31 PM
It looks like the MLS had full intention of playing the national anthem, they just intended to delay it until they could broadcast it. Sounds like the English and American anthems were never going to be aired.

And how exactly were 20k people supposed to know about this? All we saw was the two flags and the announcer saying they were going to sing the two anthems. MAJOR screw up by the MLS to not at least mention the Canadian anthem was coming up later. I don't care what they were going to do on TV, I was at the stadium.

and none of you would be as forgiving if it happened in the States the other way around.

I have very strong doubts that this wouldn't have happened in the states if the roles had been reversed and I would have understood their anger against the organizers (exactly who we directed it to). Having said that, I didn't boo during the US anthem but definitely joined singing Oh Canada.

The passion by which the entire stadium rose up to sing Oh Canada when they realized they might not get the chance to sing for their country and how it drowned the announcer's voice was completely EPIC. Simply Amazing :canada:

Benficachop20
07-24-2008, 11:34 PM
Was the first Canadian anthem by any chance caught on the tele? or anybody have a vid? It was truly amazing.

BigD
07-24-2008, 11:34 PM
LOL!

In other words, they didn't intentionally slight anyone. And Canadians looked classless for booing a foreign anthem. Whether you intended to boo it or the people...it still happened during the anthem and none of you would be as forgiving if it happened in the States the other way around.

The problem was that they didn't tell anyone ...

Canadian flag flew in and then taken off the field ... then US and ENG flags get pulled out ... and it is annouced to stand for the ENG and US anthems ... How were fans to know that the MLS/ESPN wanted to put on a special intro to the Canadian flag/anthem???

This is why bringing the Canadian flag out with the US and ENG flags would have clarified the issue ... or just saying "Please stand and remove your hats for the playing of the ENG and US anthems. The Canadian anthem will then follow"

That being said ... i think it is obvious mistakes were made by both sides ... and hope that can be seen and the issue not grow into anything.
It is safe to say that the mistake will likely not be made again.

Roogsy
07-24-2008, 11:35 PM
The problem was that they didn't tell anyone ...

That being said ... i think it is obvious mistakes were made by both sides ... and hope that can be seen and the issue not grow into anything.
It is safe to say that the mistake will likely not be made again.

Totally agree.

loconet
07-24-2008, 11:36 PM
Was the first Canadian anthem by any chance caught on the tele? or anybody have a vid? It was truly amazing.

Unfortunately not on the CBC recording I have :(. They went straight to the "planned" Canadian anthem.

Phil
07-24-2008, 11:38 PM
Unfortunately not on the CBC recording I have :(. They went straight to the "planned" Canadian anthem.

As far as I know that was the plan for all broadcasts.

Benficachop20
07-24-2008, 11:48 PM

ah fuck. Really wished it was caught on the tele :canada:

mclaren
07-25-2008, 12:09 AM
As an Englishman, I enjoyed singing my anthem, but was shocked that the Canadian flag wasn't out at the beginning. Clearly the fans weren't to know it was coming out later - big error on the part of the organizers - can't blame the fans for that.

mclaren
07-25-2008, 12:10 AM
LOL!

People weren't booing the U.S. national anthem - I think they were booing the massive screw-up.

Corpand
07-25-2008, 12:14 AM
iunno, looked ace on TV, heard the fans singing and all, didnt even know this happened.

Vindaloo
07-25-2008, 12:28 AM
So they played God Save the Queen and then the Star Spangled Banner? I find it interesting 'cause CBC didn't show any of that but had O Canada queued right after a commercial break They had obviously intended to do that anyway. Bad organising on the first part of the event.

*Interestingly, God Save the Queen is officially one of Canada's national anthems. It's classified as the Royal Anthem and obviously sang at various events. Strangely this anthem isn't an official anthem of the United Kingdom as it's never been passed by an Act of Parliament or a Royal Proclamation.

Hooligan69
07-25-2008, 12:29 AM
iunno, looked ace on TV, heard the fans singing and all, didnt even know this happened.

Seconded. I had no idea until I read this board. Didn't even notice.

TFC Via Buffalo
07-25-2008, 01:01 AM
Jesus Christ. Trust me, I was taken a back and a bit that they played the US anthem and it seemed like Oh Canada wouldn't play. But do you guys who are saying "fuck the yanks" and all that realize that they brought out the color guard and had other things set up? They fucked up the timing and should have just had all the flags out at once. This wasn't them rubbing the "American" run league into the fans faces. It was SHIT TIMING AND PLANNING. That is it.

Am I happy my national anthem was booed? Absolutely not, as I sung it even louder then ever tonight. Do I understand why you guys booed. Absolutely and, given the way things were piss poorly planned, I don't blame you one bit.

See you all on the 3rd.

Jeff s
07-25-2008, 01:07 AM
Seconded. I had no idea until I read this board. Didn't even notice.
lol its a shame you didn't catch the first canadian anthem, it was truly special. Made me feel so fucking proud!!!

Kickit09
07-25-2008, 01:50 AM
i feel bad for all the people who gave away or sold their tickets because they think the idea of an allstar game is stupid. they missed out on a really good game and eventful night. and I'll never forget this game because of the whole anthem mess. Being part of that was amazing. I dont think MLS will fuck that up again.

thrillgill
07-25-2008, 02:21 AM
I was ready to walk the fuck out of the ground when I thought they weren't going to play our anthem. Then I was thinkin' , I gotta do something.... take Garber hostage or something. Then I saw them bringing out our flag and I calmed down, until we did our reprise of " O Canada " and I think thats when one of my lungs collapsed from singin' so fuckin' loud. Brilliant though!!! Fuck.

Blizzard
07-25-2008, 02:44 AM
anybody with half a mind would have known the fans expected the Canadian anthem first. straight off by displaying the stars and stripes they rubbed our faces in the 'Mericanisation' of the MLS. they fucked up. fuck 'em. all Canadians sung their hearts out, and even my wife did and she's english. this is our house. we're not a fucking retarded cousin of the yanks.

The home anthem always comes last! It's been that way for 1.5 seasons of TFC in MLS and for decades of NHL and MLB.

That is the tradition / protocol.

But the flag thing and the botched up intro of the anthems is something else entirely and could have been easily avoided with a little bit of forethought by the organizers.

scut farkus
07-25-2008, 03:23 AM
The announcer just needed to say: "...followed by the singing of O Canada." Or something along those lines.
It's in the past. Not much anyone can do now.
But I do think it seemed kind of clear that people weren't "booing" a national anthem, rather that people were upset with the lack of a Canadian flag/announcement of an anthem.
All in all, I ended up having a much better time than I expected!

Keystone FC
07-25-2008, 04:11 AM
Didn't see the opening tonite but I read about it. I agree with most on here that there should have been some announcement on the PA as what was going to happen.
As for people booing...I can't blame them. I would think alot worse would have happened had this happen in the states and the SSB looked like it would not be sung.

CretanBull
07-25-2008, 04:20 AM
^ exactly...imagine if this were in America and the Canadian and English flags came out on to the pitch and the pubic address announcer said "Please stand and remove your hats for the singing of the National anthems of England and Canada" and there there was no mention of the SSB and no US flag anywhere to be seen....

Rockin110
07-25-2008, 04:56 AM
Proud that you boo an anthem....wow we have finally become Americans.

The anthem screw up was not on TV, however the singing of the Canadian anthem was, funny tho, the crowd seemed quiet during the televised singing of our anthem.

Pachuco
07-25-2008, 05:22 AM
LOL!

Dude, you have it all wrong. My wife is freeking American and she was booing. You just don't get it.

Pachuco
07-25-2008, 05:24 AM
Jesus Christ. Trust me, I was taken a back and a bit that they played the US anthem and it seemed like Oh Canada wouldn't play. But do you guys who are saying "fuck the yanks" and all that realize that they brought out the color guard and had other things set up? They fucked up the timing and should have just had all the flags out at once. This wasn't them rubbing the "American" run league into the fans faces. It was SHIT TIMING AND PLANNING. That is it.

Am I happy my national anthem was booed? Absolutely not, as I sung it even louder then ever tonight. Do I understand why you guys booed. Absolutely and, given the way things were piss poorly planned, I don't blame you one bit.

See you all on the 3rd.

Completely agree on everything you said. Thank you for understanding. Don't listen to these morons talking about fucking the yanks. That, by no means was the intention of te booing.

Stugatzo
07-25-2008, 05:37 AM
What I heard was pissed off Canadians singing their anthem after it looked like they were going to give it a miss. That's not booing.
should have been planned better....yadda yadda yadda.
PS...In Chicago we sang the US anthem louder than the Americans so don't ever accuse us of disrespect.

Rochdale
07-25-2008, 07:47 AM
People weren't booing the U.S. national anthem - I think they were booing the massive screw-up.

How dare they introduce Mr Commissier before they play O Canada. The MLS are classless.

OneLoveOneEric
07-25-2008, 08:05 AM
Nobody around me thought the canadian anthem wasn't coming. I think people are always looking to be slighted around here, and the result was what happened last night.

stugautz
07-25-2008, 08:21 AM
This could have easily been fixed if the announcer had communicated that they would have brought out the Canadian flag after the playing of the American and English anthems. That being said, seeing the players out and the two non-Canadian flags on the field got everybody riled up and brought out the passion the promoters were looking for.

invictusTFC
07-25-2008, 08:27 AM
IMO it just sends the wrong message when you disrespect an anthem. Personally I think you wait until the anthems are over and then voice your displeasure. The media is going to eat this up and paint a bad picture about TFC fans, Torontonians and Canadians in General. I realize it wasn't all fans. In fact it was probably a small minority, but it was noticeable.

That being said, it was a massive oversight by the game organizers. They have to share some of the brunt.

Fort York Redcoat
07-25-2008, 08:33 AM
Disrespect went two ways. We're excluded from the anthems and uninformed we stand up for ourselves. The Media will report booing regardless the numbers. In the end the only people that shame us is our own media.

Rochdale
07-25-2008, 08:36 AM
IMO it just sends the wrong message when you disrespect an anthem. Personally I think you wait until the anthems are over and then voice your displeasure. The media is going to eat this up and paint a bad picture about TFC fans, Torontonians and Canadians in General. I realize it wasn't all fans. In fact it was probably a small minority, but it was noticeable.

That being said, it was a massive oversight by the game organizers. They have to share some of the brunt.

l'm sure l heard on the 6am news on Q107 with the journo saying soccer violence at BMO. l'm sure Mike "anti soccer" Hogan on the Fan 590 will mention it.

Yeoman
07-25-2008, 08:38 AM
now maybe I somehow missed it, but I didn't even hear any anthems on ESPN

Fort York Redcoat
07-25-2008, 08:38 AM
I am so glad I don't listen to the radio (unless TFC is on). the DJ's are sheltered putzes.

Limani_Ole
07-25-2008, 08:56 AM
let it be a lesson to all... dont fuck with Toronto soccer fans..

we aint gonna take anyones bullshit.. we aint blue jay fans..

magicfro
07-25-2008, 09:13 AM
On a side note to the gigantic mistake made by the organizers....did anyone else notice ppl raising their TFC scarves for the American anthem? Do these morons understand what it means to raise your scarf...or...do they do it cuz it's the "in thing" to do right now in Toronto?

yellowfellow
07-25-2008, 09:21 AM
I think it's poor planning by MLS and a little over sensitive on the fans' part (I didn't boo, but I was pissed during the US anthem). If the PA announcer told the crowd that O Canada will be played, everything will be cool.

To my American friends, I apologize for what happened.
To MLS and MLSE, :confused:

Boris
07-25-2008, 09:39 AM
But disrespecting an entire nation, our guests .

and one of your own....

CoachGT
07-25-2008, 09:43 AM
590 did a short segment around 6:40 this morning about it. Basically said that Canadian fans should be ashamed, but only gave their opinions - didn't have any clue as to what actually happened, assumed Canadians just booed the US anthem. They followed it up with a short discussion about the Argos at BMO, and concluded that if the city finds the money and wants to do it, it probably will happen, regardless of Gerber.

Dave67
07-25-2008, 09:48 AM
My booing was toward the perceived exclusion of the Canadian anthem. Certainly would have sounded like it was against the US but it was not. Oddly enough one of the guys I work with did the audio last night for Spanish Television (technical booth not an actual commentator). He was saying it was clear to the tech guys the anthems would be a problem when they did the rehersal.

Fort York Redcoat
07-25-2008, 09:49 AM
I suppose what the media expected or wanted was for Canadian fans to wait, be quiet, disrespected, forgotten and let the media be outraged for us the next morning. And then slag us off for being unpatriotic. I hate the radio.

Mango Kid
I can't believe that there are people lucky enough to work for TFC or MLS and they can be that stupid as to not anticipate peoples reactions....absolutely unbelieveable and amateurish...

Dead on. I could see the meeting going like this:

Planner 1: Hey, I know what we'll do...we'll have the trio of anthems and only announce that we're doing two...God Save the Queen and Star Spangled Banner.
Planner 2: I love it! The crowd will be so responsive to that after the Canadian anthem was given such bush league treatment at the baseball all-star game. They'll go crazy when they see the flag and sing their hearts out.
Planner 1: This is genius. We're going to look like such heroes!

That said, there's no excuse ever to boo an anthem, but these clowns might have thought better than to not announce the Canadian anthem either alongside the other two or to say "please stand for the national anthems".

Ladies Love Julius James
http://www.torontosun.com/News/Columnists/Warmington_Joe/2008/07/25/6260791-sun.php

The Sun picked up the story

dupont
07-25-2008, 09:52 AM
I think everyone is making way too big a deal of this. It's obvious why it happened since I've never heard anyone at BMO Field booing the American anthem before.
It wasn't even carried on the American broadcast anyways so I'm sure everybody watching the game had no idea.
No biggie.

Mango Kid
07-25-2008, 09:53 AM
It has made the game reports at ESPN, so I wouldn't quite call it no biggie.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?id=251028&league=USA.1&&cc=5901

blackandwhite
07-25-2008, 09:54 AM
http://www.torontosun.com/News/Columnists/Warmington_Joe/2008/07/25/6260791-sun.php

The Sun picked up the story

You can call Joe Warmington at (416) 947-2392 or e-mail at joe.warmington@sunmedia.ca

SUCK MY DICK JOE! Pay attention to what happened before going about writing shit..

Dave67
07-25-2008, 10:00 AM
It has made the game reports at ESPN, so I wouldn't quite call it no biggie.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?id=251028&league=USA.1&&cc=5901

But at least they reported it as it happened and did not give it a prominent spot in the article.

Mango Kid
07-25-2008, 10:08 AM
But at least they reported it as it happened and did not give it a prominent spot in the article.

Agreed.

boomcha
07-25-2008, 10:08 AM
I don't understand why was the English anthem sung? For Becks?

This is Canada and we have our own anthem.

Dave67
07-25-2008, 10:09 AM
I don't understand why was the English anthem sung? For Becks?

This is Canada and we have our own anthem.

West Ham.

Mango Kid
07-25-2008, 10:09 AM
For West Ham, perhaps?

boomcha
07-25-2008, 10:11 AM
Wow.. I was out of it.
Of course!

Play on.

RealG-TFC
07-25-2008, 10:19 AM
Meh, I wasn't there fo rthe anthems. What ever. If the media is actually picking up on this they can fuck off. Because when I got there right at kickoff, no one mentioned this at all. everyone was watching the game, having conversations.

flatpicker
07-25-2008, 10:22 AM
Meh, I wasn't there fo rthe anthems. What ever. If the media is actually picking up on this they can fuck off. Because when I got there right at kickoff, no one mentioned this at all. everyone was watching the game, having conversations.

all the media I have read are pointing the finger at MLS for the cause of this screw-up.

I suppose we fans could have waited until after the two anthems to do our own rendition of Oh Canada... but whatever... it is what it is.

the fans are not getting burned by the press over this thankfully.

TFC Via Buffalo
07-25-2008, 10:26 AM
What I heard was pissed off Canadians singing their anthem after it looked like they were going to give it a miss. That's not booing.
should have been planned better....yadda yadda yadda.
PS...In Chicago we sang the US anthem louder than the Americans so don't ever accuse us of disrespect.

When it first started, I heard pissed off Canadians booing the Star Spangled Banner. I've already said I don't blame your guys reaction, but it still felt wretched to sit there and hear my anthem being booed. Yes, you guys did sing over it, but it was also booed at the beginning. Hard.

The singing of the anthem you guys did, while I may not have been 100% thrilled with the timing of it, was great. That is one of the things I've always respected about Canadians; you guys have a wonderful sense of pride in your nationality that is second to none.

RPB_Brantford_08
07-25-2008, 10:28 AM
Wow ... I couldn't believe how they didn't bring out our flag until AFTER the English and US national anthems. Made us absolutely livid and we even ended up booing during both anthems. Terrible Terrible timing on the Organizers part. Did it sound/look bad on TV?

I sort of feel bad now after the fact ... But Seriously... What were we suppose to think?

i was so pissed i sat down during the US anthem....only to hear the Canadian one shortly afterwards...it was eith a mistake by the announcer or a MLS screwup...i bet MLS!!

I_AM_CANADIAN
07-25-2008, 10:31 AM
That's got shades of 1992 World Series in it...;) (somebody's gotta pick up on that reference, please...)

I wasn't there so I missed the whole debacle (CBC didn't show it), but yeah, they just sort of had the dude standing there singing it, no flag out there or anything.

Mango Kid
07-25-2008, 10:41 AM
There were no upside down flags flying. That work?

Suds
07-25-2008, 10:43 AM
Dead on. I could see the meeting going like this:

That said, there's no excuse ever to boo an anthem, but these clowns might have thought better than to not announce the Canadian anthem either alongside the other two or to say "please stand for the national anthems".

nuff said

Draracle
07-25-2008, 11:57 AM
We Canadians have a long history of getting insulted and ignored in sports with the USA. Everyone thought it was happening again. No one booed the anthems, they booed the lack of Canadian recognition. For nearly 10 minutes it looked like England and the USA were the only two countries there. And that the All Star team was the "American" team -- see the flag in front of them. People want to see the worst in us. "Oh those idiots are booing the anthem!!!" Fuck you. No one booed the US Anthem. hell, I SING the US anthem at every game because I feel it doesn't get enough love.

If everyone feels bad enough about this misunderstanding I recommend sing the SSB at the next game. Let them know we didn't direct the boos at their flag.

tfcleeds
07-25-2008, 12:50 PM
It doesn't surprise me that so many sections of the media have used this once again as an opportunity to crap all over TFC and football supporters in general.

Screw them...

I_AM_CANADIAN
07-25-2008, 01:03 PM
It's like what they do to Leeds United, the media are always looking to pick out the bad (even if they have to fabricate it themselves) and ignore the good.

Maple Leaf Red
07-25-2008, 01:19 PM
We Canadians have a long history of getting insulted and ignored in sports with the USA. Everyone thought it was happening again. No one booed the anthems, they booed the lack of Canadian recognition. For nearly 10 minutes it looked like England and the USA were the only two countries there. And that the All Star team was the "American" team -- see the flag in front of them. People want to see the worst in us. "Oh those idiots are booing the anthem!!!" Fuck you. No one booed the US Anthem. hell, I SING the US anthem at every game because I feel it doesn't get enough love.

If everyone feels bad enough about this misunderstanding I recommend sing the SSB at the next game. Let them know we didn't direct the boos at their flag.

Bingo. The booing was at the apparent snub and not at the anthem. People that point to this as a sign of TFC fans being classless are either conveniently ignoring the following or aren't aware that a. the SSB gets applause at every game and b. when the singer at TFC's first ever home game flubbed the words the crowd spontaneously finished the song. One of the proudest moments of my life.

Too often Canadians denigrate Canada rather than showing deserved pride in her and it was great to hear the crowd spontaneously break out into O Canada.

Wolfe
07-25-2008, 01:23 PM
I thought it was a disgrace. If anyone had taken 3 seconds to think before they started booing then they would have realized that there was absolutely no way in hell that they would not do the Canadian National Anthem especially after they had the parachuter come in with a flag. Most of my section didn't boo, and I certainly did not. People need to use there heads once in a while.

mauser09
07-25-2008, 01:28 PM
I was listening to CFRB and they were talking about how rude we are, then they went ahead and called us all Idiots. Who's rude now? They kept saying how we only sang O Canada over the American anthem, but I know since I was there and CFRB wasn't that we sang it three times, over god save the queen, the American anthem and during the real O Canada. I hate the media, trying to make us look like pricks.

TOfan
07-25-2008, 01:29 PM
I agree with Draracle - the booing was for an apparent insult. I didn't check ESPN's page today, but for most of the U-20 games last year, ESPN listed BMO Field as in Toronto, the United States. It's hard to understand how such simple things can be screwed up?

RealG-TFC
07-25-2008, 01:30 PM
^^ It's amazing how poorly informed they are yet they still make a story about it.

dupont
07-25-2008, 01:32 PM
I thought it was a disgrace. If anyone had taken 3 seconds to think before they started booing then they would have realized that there was absolutely no way in hell that they would not do the Canadian National Anthem especially after they had the parachuter come in with a flag. Most of my section didn't boo, and I certainly did not. People need to use there heads once in a while.

I can't believe people even take the anthems so seriously in the first place. I don't care about the Canadian anthem at all and I love this Country. I don't need an out of date song talking about God to prove that.

If any Americans actually get bent out of shape over this then they have much thinner skin than they claim to have. But I doubt it'll be much of a big deal in the US anyways. They should know we don't hate them.

AL-MO
07-25-2008, 01:32 PM
I didn't boo. Just waited until after and helped start our national athem without music or prompts

I_AM_CANADIAN
07-25-2008, 01:34 PM
And to put the icing on the cake,an article on mlsnet.com lists BMO Field as being at a place called the "Exposition Park." WTF?

Dave67
07-25-2008, 01:45 PM

You took it as people booing the anthem, which would have been a disgrace. People were booing the apparent snub to Canada which I do not take as a disgrace.

If the organizers of this event had spent 3 seconds to think this through we would not have been put in a situation to look like fools to some. The organizers of this event had months to think things through, we had a few seconds.

tfcleeds
07-25-2008, 01:46 PM
Then there's the whole issue of whether it is really necessary to play anthems before every single professional sporting event in North America, but I'm sure that topic has been discussed on this forum, as it has on countless other internet forums.

Fort York Redcoat
07-25-2008, 02:12 PM
Agreed. National anthems for international competition. These leagues of 2 countries don't warrant it.

RealG-TFC
07-25-2008, 03:08 PM
is there really a need for this thread? You can tell everyone else how much better you are here: http://64.13.252.151/forums/showthread.php?t=3786&page=4

dantdot
07-25-2008, 03:09 PM
You'll get over it. In the big scheme of things this means very little.

Azzurri86
07-25-2008, 03:10 PM
The fact is we are the best fans in the league. We bleed red. Not black. We're fans of Toronto FC not MLS All-stars. We were who we are. TFC Faithful.

MG42
07-25-2008, 03:12 PM
Did anyone else see the ICF 30 years undefeated banner almost get pulled from the upper deck by thos guys in the VIP Suite?

Benficachop20
07-25-2008, 03:21 PM
You can be pretty sure that that was the first and last time an all star game will be held in Canada

oh no what are we ever gonna do with that the mighty all star game. i mean i love that team so much, them winning yesterday felt like winning 2o championships, it was amazing, i love them.

Best fans in the MLS ? take a long hard look in the mirror people.
You can slag me all you want, but the bottom line is, after last night, we are the most hated in the league now...well done

oh no we are the most hated team. Y should we care wat fans from other teams think? wat impact does that have? should we be worried that they aren't sucking our dicks for once? geez i only care about tfc, i don't care wat kc, dc, la fans think about us.

The chance was there to show the world TFC have the best fans, far from it, very far from it...and it hurts me to say that, it really does

oh sorry u didn't get to show us off the ur buddies. but ya i guess one game, one mistake should be always used against us. and ya we are so far from the best fans, im sure the crew fans are better with their racist chants, the great number of fans that show up to come and see their respected teams. omg we are so bad, i mean fuck it next time we go to chicago and nobody is singing their anthem, maybe we should be quiet aswell and not sing there anthem.

hey u have season tix? if ur that embarrassed maybe u should give me the tix, i know someone who's dying for one.

Wolfe
07-25-2008, 09:43 PM
You took it as people booing the anthem, which would have been a disgrace. People were booing the apparent snub to Canada which I do not take as a disgrace.

If the organizers of this event had spent 3 seconds to think this through we would not have been put in a situation to look like fools to some. The organizers of this event had months to think things through, we had a few seconds.

I disagree and agree with you. I think booing during the anthem and singing O' Canada over the Star Spangled Banner is disrespectful and awful. It doesn't matter if it was aimed at the "apparent snub to Canada" it was still the wrong thing to do. If they wanted to get mad they should have booed before, inbetween and after, they could have also chanted shit at MLS and also sang our own O'Canada (as we did).

And yes it was a poor decision by the organizers, they should have brought all 3 flags out at once, to avoid any possible mix up.

Chadders
07-26-2008, 12:00 AM
Why did they play the British anthem in a North American league?

BigD
07-26-2008, 12:14 AM
Why did they play the British anthem in a North American league?

West Ham is from London, England ... it is standard to play the anthem for the country of BOTH teams involved

Keystone FC
07-26-2008, 05:59 AM
Did anyone else see the ICF 30 years undefeated banner almost get pulled from the upper deck by thos guys in the VIP Suite?

Our TFC supporters are one thing, but don't mess with our Business Casuals!:D

Keegan
07-26-2008, 10:29 AM
Searched around for a bit and FINALLY found the american anthem vid.. they start singing the Canadian one over it at about 1:34 EPIC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu_moia-oVI

pepher
07-26-2008, 11:04 AM
Poor communication on MLSE's part maybe but people didn't have to boo or sing over the other anthems... My personal opinion was that was in bad taste... I have to say though, I was relieved when I heard they were going to play Oh Canada. How many of you sang that twice that night?

Jimmy The Saint
07-26-2008, 12:29 PM
Twice and loudly, though not as loudly as the first time.

I was hoarse from the first one. The only time I can ever recall singing the Canadian anthem that loudly was at the no rally in Montreal before the referendum.

13CP
07-26-2008, 02:22 PM
I think we sang Oh Canada three times. Twice before the game began, and in the second half.

Wolfe
07-26-2008, 02:28 PM
Searched around for a bit and FINALLY found the american anthem vid.. they start singing the Canadian one over it at about 1:34 EPIC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu_moia-oVI
dick

13CP
07-26-2008, 02:33 PM
Wow, that was simply, amusing.

McHaggis
07-27-2008, 12:31 AM
I disagree and agree with you. I think booing during the anthem and singing O' Canada over the Star Spangled Banner is disrespectful and awful. It doesn't matter if it was aimed at the "apparent snub to Canada" it was still the wrong thing to do. If they wanted to get mad they should have booed before, inbetween and after, they could have also chanted shit at MLS and also sang our own O'Canada (as we did).

And yes it was a poor decision by the organizers, they should have brought all 3 flags out at once, to avoid any possible mix up.

I agree with you completely. Even if my dog crapping on your lawn is intended as a gesture of brotherhood and friendship, it still looks like I let my dog crap on your lawn.
I thought the way the Canadian anthem was done, with a real singer and colour guard people was pure class. It stood out from the pre-recorded versions of the other anthems and really put the spotlight on the fact that the game was being played in Canada.
In my section(not the supporters end-zone), most of the people who booed during the British and American anthems are the same ones who stand all game, do their little chants and don't even realize when a goal is scored because they don't really watch the game. Can't say their ignorance came as a surprise.
It was great to hear the Canadian national anthem sung with so much pride though.:canada:

colman1860
07-27-2008, 08:44 AM
We bleed red.

I would certainly hope so.

colman1860
07-27-2008, 08:50 AM
I agree with you completely. Even if my dog crapping on your lawn is intended as a gesture of brotherhood and friendship, it still looks like I let my dog crap on your lawn.

But what if you came to tell me that your dog had diarrhea on my lawn first? And then after I let my dog take a shit on your lawn you tell me you were only joking? Cuz in my opinion that's your fault.

McHaggis
07-27-2008, 09:42 PM
But what if you came to tell me that your dog had diarrhea on my lawn first? And then after I let my dog take a shit on your lawn you tell me you were only joking? Cuz in my opinion that's your fault.

Whatever the sequence of events, it's still a sh*tty thing to do.:canada: